New writer joins BUFFY staff

Mike Zeares

Jun 27, 2001, 2:00:50 AM6/27/01
Based on Steven DeKnight's comments at the Bronze on the 24th, it appears that
Drew Greenberg has joined the BUFFY writing staff. Greenberg recently worked on
QUEER AS FOLK.

DeKnight also said that "From what [he's] heard, Sarah has a great voice." And
(spoilers):

5
4
3
2
1

"Spike does have the chip removed next season, but the op goes horrible awry and
turns him into a song and dance vamp. 'Strangers in the night, two teeth
biting...'"

It's possible that this was said in jest.

-- Mike Zeares

Lord Usher

Jun 28, 2001, 1:26:04 AM6/28/01
Mike Zeares <mze...@yahoo.com> wrote in article
<9hbsq...@drn.newsguy.com>...

> Based on Steven DeKnight's comments at the Bronze on the 24th, it appears
> that Drew Greenberg has joined the BUFFY writing staff. Greenberg
> recently worked on QUEER AS FOLK.

Not to bash Mr. Greenberg, who could very well be Mutant Enemy's next Tim
Minear, but am I the only one who thinks BUFFY needs to stop hiring these
fresh-faced young writers with little staff experience, whose previous
credits are all in soapy young adult shows?

BUFFY's writing staff is already young enough, and hip enough, and
sensitive enough. In fact, I think one of the problems with recent seasons
is that it's become *too* young and hip and sensitive, to the point that
it's lost a lot of its maturity and grounding and perspective.

IMHO, what BUFFY needs is a hardened, veteran writer, someone with a decade
or two of series experience under his belt. Someone who maybe isn't as
emotive or inventive as the rest of the gang, but who can teach the
young'uns a thing or two about discipline and plot structure.

IOW, another David Greenwalt. IIUC, that's exactly why Fox brought him onto
the series in the first place, and the series has become markedly less
grounded and mature since his departure two years ago.

--
Lord Usher
"Don't we kill 'em any more?"

Sarah Trombley

Jun 28, 2001, 2:16:25 AM6/28/01
In article <01c0ff95$d9535120$110f6c40@house-of-usher>,

Lord Usher <lord_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>Mike Zeares <mze...@yahoo.com> wrote in article
><9hbsq...@drn.newsguy.com>...
>> Based on Steven DeKnight's comments at the Bronze on the 24th, it appears
>> that Drew Greenberg has joined the BUFFY writing staff. Greenberg
>> recently worked on QUEER AS FOLK.
>
>Not to bash Mr. Greenberg, who could very well be Mutant Enemy's next Tim
>Minear, but am I the only one who thinks BUFFY needs to stop hiring these
>fresh-faced young writers with little staff experience, whose previous
>credits are all in soapy young adult shows?

But...dude...Queer as Folk! I bet he can't even _help_ writing subtext!

--Sarah T., shameless

Mike Zeares

Jun 28, 2001, 7:42:25 AM6/28/01
In article <9hei3p$g60$1...@news.fas.harvard.edu>, trom...@is05.fas.harvard.edu
says...

Yeah, dude! This should really help the HoYay! quotient on BtVS, which was
largely lacking in S5, Willow and Tara notwithstanding (it's not as much fun if
it's *text*).

>--Sarah T., shameless

-- Mike Zeares, likewise

Ivytree

Jun 28, 2001, 4:30:09 PM6/28/01
"Lord Usher" <lord_...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Yeah, but hardened, veteran writers with a decade or two of series
experience can't get jobs in Hollywood. As soon as you hit your 28th
birthday, you're out of there.

Haven't you noticed that hardly any series television has discipline or plot
structure worth noticing?

Nick Rheinwald

Jun 28, 2001, 7:11:59 PM6/28/01
"Ivytree" <lsan...@sprintmail.com> wrote in message

> Yeah, but hardened, veteran writers with a decade or two of series
> experience can't get jobs in Hollywood. As soon as you hit your 28th
> birthday, you're out of there.

None of the current Buffy staff is younger than 30.

> Haven't you noticed that hardly any series television has discipline or
plot
> structure worth noticing?

And you think that has anything to do with the age of the writers? I think
it has more to do with the refusal of the networks to accept any pilots that
have a shred of intelligence in them.

--Nick

Sarah Trombley

Jun 28, 2001, 7:30:40 PM6/28/01
In article <tjneoc4...@corp.supernews.com>,

Nick Rheinwald <toast...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"Ivytree" <lsan...@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Yeah, but hardened, veteran writers with a decade or two of series
>> experience can't get jobs in Hollywood. As soon as you hit your 28th
>> birthday, you're out of there.
>
>None of the current Buffy staff is younger than 30.

Did Kirshner quit? She's Harvard '91--can't be thirty.

--Sarah T.

Yasminke

Jun 28, 2001, 8:49:53 PM6/28/01

Why not? Four year degree, even a three-year one, ten years later -- 30
easily.

Unless she started uni at 16 or younger.

Jennifer

Don Sample

Jun 28, 2001, 8:47:06 PM6/28/01
In article <9hgen0$m9e$1...@news.fas.harvard.edu>, Sarah Trombley
<trom...@is08.fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

If she was 20 when she graduated (which is kinda young for that) she'd
be 30 now.

--
Don Sample, dsa...@synapse.net
Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://www.synapse.net/~dsample/BBC

Don Sample

Jun 28, 2001, 8:58:03 PM6/28/01
In article <B7620DD0.10092%yasm...@unfitforsociety.net>, Yasminke
<yasm...@unfitforsociety.net> wrote:

Maybe they don't teach arithmetic at Harvard.

Sarah Trombley

Jun 28, 2001, 8:58:52 PM6/28/01
In article <280620012055367476%dsa...@synapse.net>,

Don Sample <dsa...@synapse.net> wrote:
>In article <B7620DD0.10092%yasm...@unfitforsociety.net>, Yasminke
><yasm...@unfitforsociety.net> wrote:
>
>> On 29/06/2001 9:30 AM, Sarah Trombley wrote:

>> > Did Kirshner quit? She's Harvard '91--can't be thirty.
>>
>> Why not? Four year degree, even a three-year one, ten years later -- 30
>> easily.
>>
>> Unless she started uni at 16 or younger.
>>
>> Jennifer
>
>Maybe they don't teach arithmetic at Harvard.

I'm quite sure they don't.

You're bashing the wrong school if you hope to bother me, man. ;)

--Sarah T.

Sarah Trombley

Jun 28, 2001, 8:58:10 PM6/28/01

Oh, whoops. We do the Class Report questionnaires every five years, and
even though I typed '91, I was thinking '96.

(She made wacky comments about Yale on hers.)

--Sarah T.

Sarah Trombley

Jun 28, 2001, 9:03:52 PM6/28/01
In article <9hgjr2$mhd$1...@news.fas.harvard.edu>,

To clarify further, I think she's '96, not '91, but I can't check from home.

--Sarah T.

Yasminke

Jun 28, 2001, 9:52:26 PM6/28/01
On 29/06/2001 10:58 AM, Don Sample wrote:

> In article <B7620DD0.10092%yasm...@unfitforsociety.net>, Yasminke
> <yasm...@unfitforsociety.net> wrote:
>
>> On 29/06/2001 9:30 AM, Sarah Trombley wrote:

>>> Did Kirshner quit? She's Harvard '91--can't be thirty.
>>
>> Why not? Four year degree, even a three-year one, ten years later -- 30
>> easily.
>>
>> Unless she started uni at 16 or younger.
>>
>> Jennifer
>
> Maybe they don't teach arithmetic at Harvard.

The abacus is broken?

Jennifer

Justine

Jun 29, 2001, 1:26:29 AM6/29/01

"Mike Zeares" <mze...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Based on Steven DeKnight's comments at the Bronze on the 24th, it appears
that
> Drew Greenberg has joined the BUFFY writing staff. Greenberg recently
worked on
> QUEER AS FOLK.

Sheesh, I assume this is the American version? I found the writing to be
really lacking in the American QAF. I really liked the original, but the new
one just seems like a pale reflection. Hopefull Drew Greenberg did not have
too much influence. We may be in for a lot of unnecessary exposition and out
of character dialogue if so =(

> DeKnight also said that "From what [he's] heard, Sarah has a great voice."
And
> (spoilers):
>
> 5
> 4
> 3
> 2
> 1
>

> "Spike does have the chip removed next season, but the op goes horrible
awry and
> turns him into a song and dance vamp. 'Strangers in the night, two teeth
> biting...'"

Hahahaha!

> It's possible that this was said in jest.

Good grief, I hope not! I might sell my first born parakeet to see this!!!

--
-Justine

"I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion." -Henry
David Thoreau

"It's been swell, but the swelling's gone down." -Lori Petty, Tank Girl
=====
W-O-V-E-N
Unofficially the first Kinnie Starr Fan Site
=====

> -- Mike Zeares

Paul Hammond

Jun 28, 2001, 8:32:30 PM6/28/01

Sarah Trombley wrote in message <9hgen0$m9e$1...@news.fas.harvard.edu>...

21 in 91? 31 now, surely?

Paul

Paul Hammond

Jun 28, 2001, 8:30:40 PM6/28/01

Sarah Trombley wrote in message <9hei3p$g60$1...@news.fas.harvard.edu>...

Did he work on the original Queer as Folk - set in Manchester, and
fucking brilliant? Or, the American adaptation of the original, which
by all accounts I've heard was much less brilliant.

Paul