10 Most Satisfying Moments on 'Buffy'

david milligan

Mar 28, 2022, 10:54:12 PM3/28/22
https://whatculture.com/tv/10-most-satisfying-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-moments

10 Most Satisfying Buffy The Vampire Slayer Moments

These are the moments that Buffy fans love to watch over and over again...

BY JACOB WILKINS

There are many standout moments in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The show taps into the audience’s emotions on multiple levels, causing us to laugh, cry, and scream throughout the gang’s adventures in Sunnydale.

Above all, it’s the relatability of the characters that makes us care so deeply about the story. Buffy, despite her supernatural abilities, is a flawed heroine with plenty of insecurities, and there are many other characters who are also relatable and nuanced.

Given this high level of emotional investment, there are a fair number of satisfying moments throughout the show’s seven seasons. Many of these moments involve Buffy taking down a particularly powerful and fiendish villain. But there are also several satisfying moments with a warmer, more intimate tone that don’t involve a furious fight to the death.

Reinforced by some stellar performances from the cast, these moments demonstrate the remarkable talents of the Buffy writers. Together, they created a brilliant set of characters and combined them with some sizzling plot threads to create an impressive roster of moments that are always satisfying, regardless of how many times you watch them.

10. Buffy Kills The Master (Season 1, Episode 12)

In the final episode of Season 1, Buffy stares death in the face when she heads down below, and just like the prophecy foretold, she dies at the hands of the Master. But she’s soon resuscitated by Xander and gets back on her feet, determined to finish the fight.

Whilst the final battle is pretty simple when compared with the other finales, it certainly isn’t disappointing. After a brief fistfight and a couple of cheesy one-liners, Buffy kills the Master by throwing him through the library’s glass ceiling onto a giant piece of wood. From a visual standpoint, it’s always great to watch the Master’s final fall, but this isn’t the only thing that makes this scene so satisfying.

Throughout the first season, Buffy struggles with her destiny, pushing back against Giles’s demands. By coming back from the dead and taking down her first Big Bad, Buffy has learnt to accept her destiny, and this is the perfect set-up for the next season.

9. Giles Frightens Professor Walsh (Season 4, Episode 12)

Buffy and the gang head off to college in Season 4. As well as facing a fresh batch of demons, they also have to contend with the challenges of higher education, including Professor Walsh, a psychology tutor who plays a prominent role in the Initiative.

The professor is an irritating woman with a condescending attitude. She even treats Willow with disdain when she’s upset about Oz. And as for Giles, he also takes a dislike to the professor when she tells him Buffy doesn’t have a father figure in her life.

Later on, Giles transforms into a Fyarl Demon, and though this is a pretty grim experience for him, he does enjoy a healthy bit of revenge. When driving through the streets of Sunnydale with Spike, Giles notices the professor walking home, and he decides to get out of the car and chase after her, roaring like a madman.

Aside from being one of the most hilarious moments in the entire show, this scene is loaded with satisfaction. It’s wonderful to see the professor get her comeuppance for being such a nasty piece of work, and her hysterical screams make the whole scene even more satisfying.

8. Buffy Takes Down Caleb (Season 7, Episode 21 And 22)

In the eighteenth episode of Season 7, we’re introduced to Caleb, a misogynistic priest who’s in cahoots with the First Evil. Using his advanced strength, Caleb murders several Potential Slayers when our heroes infiltrate the vineyard.

He continues to terrorise the gang throughout the rest of the season, and no one – not even Buffy – is capable of taking him down… at least until she gets her hands on the Scythe. Using this legendary weapon, the Slayer battles against the priest at the end of the penultimate episode, and – with some help from Angel – she emerges victorious.

But the battle isn't over yet. At the start of the season finale, Caleb gets back to his feet but ends up being sliced in half with the Scythe. It’s a brutal end for a despicable character, and one of the most triumphant moments in the show. No matter how many times you rewatch this scene, it never fails to be satisfying.

7. Cordelia Abandons The Cordettes (Season 2, Episode 16)

Cordelia isn’t a particularly likeable character at first. She’s condescending, rude, loud, and full of her own self-importance. Alongside her irritable entourage – the Cordettes – she struts around Sunnydale High and annoys everyone she meets.

Thankfully, Cordelia becomes more bearable as time goes on, and in ‘Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered’, she finally breaks it off with her toxic friends and attacks Harmony when she insults Xander:

“Do you know what you are, Harmony? You’re a sheep…And here I am scrambling for your approval when I’m way cooler than you are…I do what I wanna do, and I wear what I wanna wear, and…I’ll date whoever the hell I wanna date!”

Whilst Cordelia’s relationship with Xander doesn’t work out in the end, it’s still great to see her turn against the Cordettes, especially Harmony, who is probably the most irritating person in the entire school.

[follow the links to read the last 6]