Sarah Michelle Gellar Says Her Gay Kiss Scene Was Cut From "Scooby Doo" Movie

Ubiquitous

Feb 7, 2023, 7:29:31 AM2/7/23
Actress Sarah Michelle Gellar revealed in a recent interview that she was
supposed to kiss costar Linda Cardellini in the 2002 film “Scooby-Doo” — but
that the scene had been cut from the final release along with a joke “outing”
Freddie Prinze Jr.’s character as potentially bisexual.

Gellar, who played Daphne in the movie alongside Cardellini’s Velma, told
Bravo’s Andy Cohen on Thursday that they had actually filmed the steamy scene
only to see it cut — and according to script author James Gunn, his original
intent had been to go much further than a kiss.

“In 2001, Velma was explicitly gay in my initial script. But the studio just
kept watering it down and watering it down, becoming ambiguous (the version
shot), then nothing (the released version) and finally having a boyfriend
(the sequel),” Gunn said of the project.

Gellar confirmed that vision during the “After Show” portion of Cohen’s
“Watch What Happens Live” — saying, “There was a steamy kiss. It got cut.
There was an actual kiss between Daphne and Velma that got cut. I feel like
the world wants to see it. I don’t know where it is.”

WATCH:
https://youtu.be/zZJngECLCFU

According to Gellar, the entire movie had been pitched to the main actors —
also including Matthew Lillard as “Shaggy” — as “less family friendly” than
the long-running animated series. And for Gellar, that was a key selling
point.

She also recalled one specific line that had been cut — a line that had cast
ambiguity over Fred’s sexuality — that she was supposed to deliver during a
fight with Prinze Jr.’s character.

“There was a great line too that I’ll never forget. Daphne and Fred were
having a fight and I yell at him, ‘That ascot makes you look gay!’ I slam the
door [at him]. They cut that, too,” Gellar said. “I think that was the reason
I signed onto the movie. It’s something everyone’s thought for a long time.
There’s always been an implication about Fred being interested in both
parties. It all got cut.”

The new series on HBOMax, called “Velma” and featuring actress Mindy Kaling,
has taken Gunn’s vision and applied it liberally, making the character openly
gay.

--
Let's go Brandon!

BTR1701

Feb 7, 2023, 12:11:21 PM2/7/23
In article <trtg78$3nh3r$9...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> Actress Sarah Michelle Gellar revealed in a recent interview that she was
> supposed to kiss costar Linda Cardellini in the 2002 film SCOOBY-DOO

Rowr!

> but that the scene had been cut from the final release

You can get a copy of it in the same bin in European video stores as the
nekkidly-nude Jill Wagner version of BLADE.