Re: Drusilla's Wacky Accent

Barbie Blacksheep

Aug 12, 2021, 11:37:41 AM8/12/21
On Monday, 8 March 1999 at 08:00:00 UTC, SeanHarry wrote:
> >OK, I'll bite (pun intended). Why is Dru's accent so deplorable to
> >British viewers? I'm curious...
> It's deplorable because it's so bad. I would have voted it as the worst every
> interpretation of a foreign accent by an American actor (and Juliet Landau was
> brought up in Britain, so she should know better) but I've just heard David
> Boreanes's Irish accent, which is even worse.
> It would be a bit like all American characters on British TV going around
> wearing 10 gallon hats and saying 'Howdy Partner!'
> Sean Harry
Why oh why don't these American companies just hire actors / actresses who are from the specific British region they want the accent from ? instead of these American actors and actresses who never get it right and mess it all up....

David

Aug 13, 2021, 6:41:19 PM8/13/21
"Barbie Blacksheep" wrote in message
I've wondered that myself, many times.

Wouter Valentijn

Aug 27, 2021, 8:23:22 AM8/27/21
Op 14-8-2021 om 00:41 schreef David:
I wonder how Americans think of American characters such as Greg House,
Rick Grimes etc.) played by British people. Do they do a better job?

--
Wouter Valentijn

Kirk: "No beach to walk on..."
Star Trek (s01e07): The Naked Time

http://www.prozaportal.j3v.net
http://www.essayportal.j3v.net

liam=mail

BTR1701

Sep 21, 2021, 8:39:53 PM9/21/21
In article <ios3pn...@mid.individual.net>,
Wouter Valentijn <li...@valentijn.nu> wrote:

> Op 14-8-2021 om 00:41 schreef David:
> > "Barbie Blacksheep"  wrote in message

> >> It's deplorable because it's so bad. I would have voted it as the
> >> worst every interpretation of a foreign accent by an American actor
> >> (and Juliet Landau was brought up in Britain, so she should know
> >> better) but I've just heard David Boreanes's Irish accent, which is
> >> even worse.

> >> It would be a bit like all American characters on British TV going
> >> around wearing 10 gallon hats and saying 'Howdy Partner!'

> > Why oh why don't these American companies just hire actors / actresses
> > who are from the specific British region they want the accent from ?
> > instead of these American actors and actresses who never get it right
> > and mess it all up....

> I've wondered that myself, many times.

> I wonder how Americans think of American characters such as Greg House,
> Rick Grimes etc.) played by British people. Do they do a better job?

They must. I had no idea that Lincoln was a Brit until I saw him in
on-set interviews.

Ian J. Ball

Sep 21, 2021, 9:19:14 PM9/21/21
Some do. The Brits seem to be better at it (though I am sure I've seen
one or two Brits who did fail at a convincing American accent).

The Aussies are generally much worse - Alex O'Loughlin's American
accent has always been shaky at best, and I always felt it took years
before Phoebe Tonkin became decent at one.

anim8rfsk

Sep 21, 2021, 9:31:43 PM9/21/21
Remember a week or two ago that Jessica alba was complaining that Tim story
I just made her say her lines as written? That’s because Jo Ann graph old
(I’m not even gonna try and get that past spellcheck) had to learn his
lines phonetically the night before because of his accent and he couldn’t
deviate by a word. So nobody else could either.

I have no idea what extra special he brought to the role of Reid Richards
that they couldn’t have just hired an American.

anim8rfsk

Sep 21, 2021, 9:31:44 PM9/21/21
BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
> In article <ios3pn...@mid.individual.net>,
> Wouter Valentijn <li...@valentijn.nu> wrote:
>
>> Op 14-8-2021 om 00:41 schreef David:
>>> "Barbie Blacksheep"  wrote in message

Don’t forget they’ve lived all over the world and their initial accents are
centuries old.

>>> Why oh why don't these American companies just hire actors / actresses
>>> who are from the specific British region they want the accent from ?
>>> instead of these American actors and actresses who never get it right
>>> and mess it all up....

Why do American companies keep hiring people with metric accents to play
Americans?

BTR1701

Sep 21, 2021, 9:38:58 PM9/21/21
In article <sie0ag$k1v$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

THE WALKING DEAD is full of Brits and Aussies that do flawless American.
Lennie James (Morgan), Samantha Morton (Alpha), David Morissey (the
Governor), Andrew Lincoln (Rick), Richie Coster (Pope), Alycia
Debnam-Carey (Alicia), Lauren Cohan (Maggie)...

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 21, 2021, 11:05:44 PM9/21/21
Brits make great villains! And some of their women are nice to look at.

dirty old man.

anim8rfsk

Sep 22, 2021, 1:16:02 AM9/22/21
Agreed about Andrew Lincoln, but Lauren Cohen is from New Jersey. She does
both Brett and USA mock accents as far as I can tail.

Ubiquitous

Sep 22, 2021, 7:53:40 AM9/22/21
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>> Wouter Valentijn <li...@valentijn.nu> wrote:

>Why do American companies keep hiring people with metric accents to play
>Americans?

Are they less likely to attend Hollywood events?
If so, they're probably less difficult to work with.

--
Trump won.

BTR1701

Sep 22, 2021, 1:41:25 PM9/22/21
In article
<872688154.653980384.40...@news.easynews.com>,
> both Brit and USA mock accents as far as I can tail.

Yes, she was born in New Jersey, but her mom was a Brit who moved back
to England with her and raised her in Surrey, so she speaks with a
natural Brit accent.

Ian J. Ball

Sep 22, 2021, 1:45:25 PM9/22/21
As 13 years old?... Doubtful. Accents are supposed to "harden" around
12 years old. If I had to guess, Cohan's "real" native accent is
American.

She's probably been using the "Brit" one to get laid for years!!

BTR1701

Sep 22, 2021, 2:06:21 PM9/22/21
In article <sifq3j$bae$1...@dont-email.me>,
Not according to her. And at that age, pre-teen, when fitting in with
peers is at its most important, I'd be surprised if she didn't
*over*-develop a local accent.

(And look at Madonna. She moved to England in her 40s and almost
immediately started speaking in a Brit accent!)

> She's probably been using the "Brit" one to get laid for years!!

Like she needs an accent to get some.

Ian J. Ball

Sep 22, 2021, 2:40:44 PM9/22/21
Yes - because Madonna is a *phony*!

>> She's probably been using the "Brit" one to get laid for years!!
>
> Like she needs an accent to get some.

BTR1701

Sep 23, 2021, 12:12:31 AM9/23/21
Be still that slanderous tongue! I will not have you disparaging one of our
precious, precious celebrities like that.

Wouter Valentijn

Sep 24, 2021, 8:36:39 AM9/24/21
Op 22-9-2021 om 19:45 schreef Ian J. Ball:
My own Dutch 'accent' is flexible, depending on the situation. With
strangers and/in formal situations my regional tongue is nigh absent and
is as standard as possible.
Among people from my region and/or familiars it dives straight into the
dialect or my village.

> She's probably been using the "Brit" one to get laid for years!!

Lauren could talk to me anyway she wants. :-)

anim8rfsk

Sep 24, 2021, 12:18:40 PM9/24/21
Here she is in an intereview talking about her accent and then
clotheslining the host:

https://youtu.be/vSZwbYjMYi0

And then here she is on Craig Ferguson because that’s where the very best
interviews are:

https://youtu.be/z7mXsGSBZSI

Wouter Valentijn

Oct 1, 2021, 9:32:05 AM10/1/21
Op 24-9-2021 om 18:18 schreef anim8rfsk:
Thanks!

<sigh>

Lauren could hit me anyway she wants. L-)