fanon vs.canon

JLB

Feb 11, 2003, 9:01:05 PM2/11/03
I was just wondering about some significant differences between fanon
and canon. Like canon Buffy's name is Buffy Anne Summers. Fanon
often has her name as Elizabeth Anne Summers. Can anyone think of any
other examples?

JLB

Peter Cowan

Feb 12, 2003, 4:28:39 PM2/12/03

"JLB" <bar...@shentel.net> wrote in message

Both might be correct - the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, was
known as Buffy in her youth. Buffy would, therefore, be a contraction of
Elizabeth.

Peter

Peter Meilinger

Feb 12, 2003, 6:32:23 PM2/12/03
Peter Cowan <pcc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>"JLB" <bar...@shentel.net> wrote in message
>> I was just wondering about some significant differences between fanon
>> and canon. Like canon Buffy's name is Buffy Anne Summers. Fanon
>> often has her name as Elizabeth Anne Summers. Can anyone think of any
>> other examples?

>Both might be correct - the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, was

>known as Buffy in her youth. Buffy would, therefore, be a contraction of
>Elizabeth.

Haven't we seen Buffy's birth certificate on the show, though?
I'd have sworn we have. Even if not, we've never seen anything
to indicate that her given first name isn't Buffy. But yeah,
making it Elizabeth pops up fairly frequently in fanfic.

I can't really think of any other fanon for Buffy. I'm sure
there is some, but I haven't noticed any that really cuts
across all the varieties of fandom. I mean, a lot of people
write fics where Angel and Spike can't keep their hands off
each other, for example, but I don't think that's fanon so
much as it is a common interest.

The fandoms I really notice fanon in are ones like X-Men
movie fic and Smallville fic. Both started as comic books,
of course, and a lot of comic book history gets used by a
lot of different fanfic authors, even though it's never
been established in the movie or show that it's true.
I'm not sure I'd consider that fanon either, though.

Pete

Jillun

Feb 13, 2003, 6:29:33 PM2/13/03
Canon, fanon. When I write a story, I often try my best to make it so
you could just plop it somewhere in the canon.

Of course, that only works when I know the show very, very well.

I like to stick to canon, so nowhere have I ever seen Buffy called
Elizabeth, so I wouldn't write a story with it, and I can't invent a
last name for Spike, because I can't think of anything appropriate.
Regertz chose an excellent one, though.

Jacqueline Gore

Feb 14, 2003, 10:27:32 PM2/14/03
jil...@hotmail.com (Jillun) wrote in message news:<c65619af.03021...@posting.google.com>...

>I can't invent a
> last name for Spike, because I can't think of anything appropriate.
> Regertz chose an excellent one, though.

William Soames Walthrop. Sigh. You're right, in fact I think of that
as his name whenever I see him now. RE told me he wasn't sure that he
was first to use that last name but that he chose it independently and
I haven't found it before his "Sunnydalopolis" in April 2001, though
others have (wisely) used it since.

In any case,it sure suits. Nice going, RE.

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Feb 15, 2003, 10:13:51 AM2/15/03
Jacqueline Gore <jacqueli...@hotmail.com> wrote:
: RE told me he wasn't sure that he

: was first to use that last name but that he chose it independently and
: I haven't found it before his "Sunnydalopolis" in April 2001, though
: others have (wisely) used it since.

That would be why I had come to think it was canon.

--
Paul Gadzikowski, scar...@iglou.com since 1995
http://members.iglou.com/scarfman

"Of course you were unaware!" said Nimue. "Even I didn't suspect."