Fic: "Tales of D'Hoffryn..." Part II...

reg...@aol.com

Jul 17, 2011, 5:46:20ā€ÆPM7/17/11
ā€œTales of Dā€™Hoffrynā€¦ā€

Disclaimer: Would Joss want his name associated with this? I think
not...But anyway all BTVS characters remain the property of Joss
Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and all other owner/creators of the Buffy the
Vampire Slayer series...Though his brother Mort gets nothing...

Archived at the Cicelyverse page of the Buffy Rebecca verse,
www.buffyrebecca.com...
First Evil, the Lord of all Things Vengeful tells a few tales of his
(well, his peopleā€™s) exploits with some old friendsā€¦

Part IIā€¦

Hellā€¦The secure chamber in which the First Evil in her currently
somewhat pixilated condition resided under the care of imps in Buffy
formā€¦And her storyteller/keeper, the demon lord Dā€™Hoffryn, currently
forced by order of the acting CEO of Hell, Warren Mears, into the form
of Buffy Summersā€™ past existence, the beauteous Cicely Addams
Walthrop...

ā€œSo then the stuffed and gutted body of Warren Mears was ā€¦ā€ ā€˜Cicelyā€™
continuedā€¦

ā€œHanging, drawing, quartering, stuffing, and gutting while alive is
not something I think the Slayer is allowed to doā€¦ā€ ā€˜Buffyā€™ notedā€¦

ā€œHell, girlā€¦ā€ ā€˜Cicelyā€™ frownedā€¦ ā€œWeā€™re Slayers, right?ā€¦We can do as we
pleaseā€¦ā€

ā€œOh, noā€¦ā€ ā€˜Buffyā€™, wide-eyedā€¦ ā€œThe Slayer is a force for light and
love in a cruel and cynical worldā€¦She ensures that evil is punished
and good rewardedā€¦ā€

ā€œThatā€™s niceā€¦ā€ ā€˜Cicelyā€™ noddedā€¦ ā€œBut as I said, this was to save our
Williamā€¦ā€ solemn lookā€¦

ā€œWellā€¦ā€ ā€˜Buffyā€™ consideredā€¦ ā€œI suppose in that caseā€¦ā€

A Buffy imp attendant entered in cheerleading costumeā€¦Eyeing ā€˜Cicelyā€™
carefullyā€¦

Hmmnā€¦ ā€œExcuse me, Buffyā€¦Another sister from a parallel universe needs
my adviceā€¦ā€

ā€œOhā€¦ā€ ā€˜Buffyā€™ eyed Cheerleader Buffyā€¦ ā€œAre you battling the fiendish
mother of Amy, Buffy?...ā€

ā€˜Cicelyā€™, hastily noddingā€¦Just go with it, you moronā€¦

ā€œYes, Buffyā€¦Iā€™ll just be a minuteā€¦ā€ the imp smiledā€¦

ā€œTry mirrorsā€¦ā€ ā€˜Buffyā€™ suggestedā€¦

ā€œWellā€¦?ā€ ā€˜Cicelyā€™ hissedā€¦

ā€œLord Mears requests an updateā€¦ā€

ā€œTell him allā€™s wellā€¦ā€

ā€œActuallyā€¦Iā€™m lyingā€¦ā€ Cheerleader Buffy notedā€¦ ā€œHe has a direct feed
from here, been watching every momentā€¦He wants you to know one more
ā€˜gut and stuff Warrenā€™ suggestion and you stay ā€˜Cicelyā€™ā€¦Contentedlyā€¦ā€

ā€œā€¦And washing his and Angelusā€™ clothes and backsides for all eternityā€¦
Contentedlyā€¦ā€ she addedā€¦

ā€œFineā€¦I mean, no more ā€˜gut and stuffā€™ā€¦ā€ ā€˜Cicelyā€™ sighedā€¦

Out loudā€¦For nowā€¦

ā€œHe thought youā€™d agreeā€¦ā€ Cheerleader Buffy noddedā€¦Heading for the
exit doorā€¦ ā€œOh, and Angelus says to tell you he got a good look down
your cleveage a few minutes agoā€¦ ā€˜Nice goodsā€™, he said to sayā€¦Goodbye,
Buffyā€¦ā€ she wavedā€¦

ā€œGoodbyeā€¦Tell Amy in your universe she shouldnā€™t do rat in deadly anti-
Wican situationsā€¦Sheā€™ll be much happierā€¦And perhaps Willow will go for
her instead of Taraā€¦ā€ ā€˜Buffyā€™ wavedā€¦

Godā€¦You knowā€¦ ā€˜Cicelyā€™ eyed herself in the reflecting pool in the
center of the chamberā€¦Pity one canā€™t drown permanently in Hellā€¦

I actually donā€™t look half-badā€¦It is rather nice looking ratherā€¦Niceā€¦
Lord, Haly never looked quite right in the partā€¦Canā€™t believe she
actually fooled William even for the few minutes needed to destroy
himā€¦

But what the hell did he see in Buffy after spending time with
me?...Er, with Cicelyā€¦?

ā€œSoā€¦ Cicelyā€¦What else can you tell of William and our past while we
wait for our plane ticketsā€¦?ā€ ā€˜Buffyā€™ turned to ā€˜Cicelyā€™ā€¦

I mean look at these, compared to her littleā€¦Hmmn?... Oh, rightā€¦

ā€œWellā€¦ā€

ā€œYou said there would be tales of our sufferings?...Losing an argument
with William in a park and then killing Warren to avenge him doesnā€™t
sound soā€¦ā€

ā€œThere was the time he saved usā€¦From our darker sideā€¦And we completely
failed himā€¦Didnā€™t even remember what heā€™d doneā€¦ā€ ā€˜Cicelyā€™ notedā€¦ ā€œHad
a chance to rescue him, muffed it completelyā€¦ā€

ā€œWhen Glory beat him almost to dust?...ā€

ā€œWorseā€¦ā€

ā€œWhen we left him, with soul and insane, in a basement, aloneā€¦?ā€

ā€œChildā€™s playā€¦ā€ ā€˜Cicelyā€™ shook her headā€¦

God, how could we have been soā€¦?

Hmmnā€¦ ā€˜Cicelyā€™ blinkedā€¦

ā€œIs insanity contagious in Hell?...ā€ ā€˜sheā€™ hissed to a Buffy imp
attendant in Grecian goddess robesā€¦

ā€œI think Lord Mears is counting on itā€¦ā€ the imp noddedā€¦

ā€œOhā€¦ā€ wan look from ā€˜Buffyā€™ā€¦

ā€œI must hearā€¦So I can atoneā€¦Butā€¦Cicely?...If I didnā€™t remember, how
could youā€¦?ā€

ā€œParallel universe, Buffyā€¦Donā€™t even try to puzzle it out, sweetheartā€¦
Paradox the size of a major headacheā€¦ā€

ā€œI seeā€¦Go onā€¦ā€ ā€˜Buffyā€™ sat on a large flat boulder near the poolā€¦

ā€œWell, about nine months after Spike came to Sunnydaleā€¦Just after
Angel took his ride to Hell?...When Spike was about to leave with your
permissionā€¦?ā€

ā€œLeaveā€¦Ohā€¦Noā€¦Is that the story?...Ohā€¦Why didnā€™t I remember and make
him stayā€¦?ā€

ā€œThere was a bit more to it, Bufā€¦Vicious evil and crueltyā€¦ā€

ā€œYou mean when I didnā€™t even thank him for helping me save the world
from Angelus and the Judge before he left?...ā€ sad-eyed stareā€¦

That was terribleā€¦ ā€˜Cicelyā€™ sighedā€¦The phalanx of Buffy imps in
various costumes attending sighedā€¦

Ummnā€¦

ā€œAnywayā€¦This was even worseā€¦ā€

***

ā€œSunsetā€¦ā€

Part Iā€¦

ā€œChristā€¦ā€ Spike eyed the broken fuel gaugeā€¦Looking carefully out of
the opening in the painted-over windshield at the descending twilightā€¦

Of all the things that could have happened to this beauty of mineā€¦I
forget the gas needle is permanently stuck at half-fullā€¦And that cars
are not ā€˜glass is half fullā€™ kinds of peopleā€¦

Drusilla muttering in her sleep in the backā€¦

And thereā€™s another joyā€¦When milady awakensā€¦And if she awakens close
enough to Slayerland that it wouldnā€™t be much of a vengeance trek,
always a major consideration for one so flighty of mindā€¦So much for my
temporary truceā€¦

Well, at least this is one problem not too impossible to rectifyā€¦At
least not for the current world-saving champion vampire, William the
Bloodyā€¦Defeater of Angelus and the Judge, with a little help from
human bit playersā€¦

Though, sadlyā€¦Not bitā€¦Would dearly have liked to have a taste of that
girlā€¦Ah, wellā€¦

Of course cash flow is a minor problemā€¦And given Iā€™m still in
Sunnydale environs, I suppose bloody homicide for gas is not a wise
optionā€¦

After all, I may want to do business with that Slayer again before I
kill herā€¦

Still, nothing in our agreement says I canā€™t commit a few minor acts
of larcenyā€¦There must be an ATM somewhere nearby just waiting for the
magic moment when I come crashing in through its doorā€¦

Or perhaps a bankā€¦Might pick up some jewelry for Dru from the safety
deposit boxes on the way outā€¦A bit of a peace offeringā€¦

He opened the door cautiouslyā€¦Yes, just about duskā€¦He got out and with
great care closed the doorā€¦Peering insideā€¦

Yes, sleeping like a drugged and inconvenient baby about to be tossed
into the riverā€¦Excellentā€¦

A brisk constitutional in the pleasant eveningā€™s airā€¦The worldā€™s
savior getting to savor his heroics, pleasantly nodding and greeting
the lower end of the food chainā€¦Hell, surely saving about 6 billion
cancels out viciously
killing 40,000 or soā€¦

ā€œIs that him?...ā€ A brown-haired girl in blouse, sweater vest, slacks
eyed the strolling Spike as he set out down the highway, back in the
direction from whence heā€™d just comeā€¦

ā€œThatā€™s himā€¦ā€ The lord of all things vengeful, glorious in aspect in
his battle armor, noddedā€¦His carewornly handsome face expressing a
profound mix of emotionsā€¦Hopeful triumph, sneering contempt, vicious
amusementā€¦A touch of bitter resentmentā€¦God, the trouble this little
blonde putz and his girl have put me toā€¦

ā€œHeā€™s the one who cost Haly her assignment?...Whatā€™s he got?...ā€

ā€œNo, not himā€¦And heā€™s gotā€¦The Slayerā€¦The same one who cost Haly her
assignment, so look outā€¦ā€

ā€œThe vampiress in the car isā€¦?ā€

ā€œNo, Anyankaā€¦ā€ Dā€™Hoffryn sighedā€¦ ā€œOf course notā€¦ā€

ā€œWellā€¦He does have a rep with Slayersā€¦ā€ she notedā€¦ ā€œHeā€™s got the
Slayer?...Tied up, enthralled?...ā€

ā€œSheā€™s protecting himā€¦Though she doesnā€™t know itā€¦ā€ he said, patientlyā€¦
ā€œHer past memories buried, but instinctively sheā€™ll never let harm
come to himā€¦ā€

ā€œOkā€¦So heā€™s a vampire as was ordered on the original job?...ā€ his
companion askedā€¦ ā€œAnd his wife, the Slayer in question, was poisoned
and died with their child and heā€™s become a major player on the
manical killer circuitā€¦
And doesnā€™t know and may well happily kill said wife in her new girly
formā€¦If he canā€¦?ā€

ā€œRightā€¦ā€

ā€œAnd so Haly screwed this oneā€¦How?...ā€

ā€œShe failed the mission goal, Anyankaā€¦To bring the Slayer to despairā€¦
Defile her soul and make her ready to accept usā€¦ā€

ā€œOhā€¦ā€ Hmmnā€¦

I donā€™t remember ever agreeing to ā€˜defilement of soulā€™ in my contractā€¦

And more importantlyā€¦This oneā€¦Been there, failed thatā€¦

ā€œYou know, Buffy Summers doesnā€™t seem any less spunky than Cicelyā€¦ā€
she notedā€¦ ā€œMaybeā€¦ā€

ā€œAre you suggesting youā€™d like resign this case?...You know no one
resigns my casesā€¦Voluntarilyā€¦ā€

ā€œI didnā€™t volunteer in the first place, D-Hā€¦ā€ she sighedā€¦ ā€œBut Iā€™m
just pointing outā€¦Since I did fail with them twice in previous livesā€¦ā€

ā€œYou want to remind me of that?...ā€ he glaredā€¦

ā€œIā€™m just sayinā€™ā€¦Haly oughta have another chanceā€¦Just to be fairā€¦ā€

Yes, indeedā€¦Wouldnā€™t want her to miss an opportunity to screw it
againā€¦

ā€œSheā€™s wrong for this jobā€¦Sheā€™d stir up unwelcome memoriesā€¦Consider
this a chance to retrieve your shattered reputation, Anyankaā€¦Now pay
attentionā€¦I expect you to make the most of this chanceā€¦ā€

Sighā€¦ ā€œRight, bossā€¦So?...I get her to wish sheā€™d finished Spike offā€¦
Her own husbandā€¦Then let her find out about everything?ā€¦ā€

ā€œNot bad but noā€¦Sheā€™s used up her occult wishes for the momentā€¦Itā€™s
his turnā€¦ā€

ā€œYou want me to grant Spikeā€™s wish?...ā€ she eyed himā€¦ ā€œHow does that
get us a Slayer justice demon?...He wishes her dead in spectacular
fashionā€¦Sheā€™s dead, reunites with his soulā€¦End of story...ā€

He eyed herā€¦

ā€œThis is why Iā€™m the minionā€¦.ā€ she sighedā€¦ ā€œI get it, bossā€¦ā€

ā€œJust do as I tell you and leave the strategic planning to meā€¦ā€ he
insistedā€¦

***

ā€œHey, thereā€¦Blonde, lithe, and gorgeousā€¦You need a ride into
Sunnydale?...ā€

Spike eyed the open car doorā€¦And its rather open occupantā€¦A tall brown-
haired beauty in light fall clothesā€¦Smiling warmlyā€¦

ā€œAs a matter of factā€¦ā€ he gave a boyā€™s smileā€¦ ā€œI could do with a lift
to the nearest gas stationā€¦ā€

ā€œHop inā€¦ā€ the door locks poppedā€¦

He moved to the passenger sideā€¦

ā€œThanksā€¦ā€ he climbed inā€¦Closing doorā€¦ ā€œBut a girl like you should be
careful whom she takes for a rideā€¦ā€

ā€œNo problemā€¦ā€ beaming smileā€¦ ā€œI always trust a man in a leather jacketā€¦
Itā€™s the nerds in buttoned-up shirts and tight little ties you hafta
watch out forā€¦ā€ grinā€¦

ā€œWilliamā€¦ā€ he offered a handā€¦

ā€œAnya Jenkinsā€¦ā€ she accepted and pumped the hand with her right hand
while steering them back into the highway with the otherā€¦

ā€œThatā€™s lovelyā€¦Hope this isnā€™t taking you out of your wayā€¦ā€

ā€œNahā€¦I live in Sunnydaleā€¦ā€ Anya shruggedā€¦ ā€œYou from England?...I can
tell by the accentā€¦ā€ she smiledā€¦

He nodded, warm boyā€™s smileā€¦ ā€œIndeedā€¦And here I was hopinā€™ Iā€™d pass
for a Billy Idol groupieā€¦ā€

ā€œToo good-lookingā€¦ā€ Anya smiledā€¦

ā€œAnd you?...ā€ he asked politelyā€¦ ā€œFresh out of Hell, arenā€™t you?...ā€

She eyed himā€¦He herā€¦

ā€œPlease keep one of however many eyes you actually have on the road,
missā€¦ā€ he said, sternlyā€¦ ā€œIā€™ve no wish to complete a very bad day by
ending up dust in someoneā€™s tail pipeā€¦ā€

ā€œYouā€™re goodā€¦ā€

ā€œPleaseā€¦ā€ he put up a handā€¦ ā€œLets not stoop to insultsā€¦What do you
want?...And since I donā€™t quite sense
that ā€˜big badā€™ aura, more importantlyā€¦What does your boss want?...

ā€œOnly to benefit a brother demonā€¦A compadre in the fight for Evil
against all things goodā€¦ā€

ā€œIf youā€™re that unselfish Iā€™m shocked you didnā€™t come a charginā€™ to
save your good friend the Judge and his plans to level all before him
in the name of Demonity and all things Evilā€¦ā€

ā€œIā€™m here to help you, Williamā€¦Specificallyā€¦ā€

ā€œDelightfulā€¦What do I have to buy?...Will dinner and a movie
suffice?...ā€

ā€œThat would be niceā€¦ā€ she gave an arch smile backā€¦ ā€œBut I canā€™t accept
presents from clientsā€¦ā€

ā€œAh, the incorruptible Evilā€¦ā€ he noddedā€¦ ā€œDedicated to the Cause and
all thatā€¦You know you religious fanatics are the prime cause of the
suffering in this worldā€¦And grateful as I am for thatā€¦ā€

ā€œJust tell me what you most wantā€¦Williamā€¦ā€ she smiledā€¦

Whoa!!...He grabbed the wheel and turned it just enough to get them
safely past an overturned tree in the roadā€¦

She staring as wellā€¦

ā€œI think right now I most want you to keep your eyes on the roadā€¦ā€ he
notedā€¦

ā€œSorryā€¦ā€ she bit her lipā€¦ ā€œIā€™ve only been driving since I got here a
week ago from the early 20thā€¦ā€

ā€œTwenty gallons of gas, freeā€¦ā€ he said suddenlyā€¦She glancing at him a
second onlyā€¦

ā€œWhat can I say?ā€¦My needs are simpleā€¦ā€

ā€œWhat about that bitch Slayerā€¦Bitchy the Blonde?...ā€

ā€œOhā€¦ā€ he shruggedā€¦ ā€œSheā€™s all right as Slayers goā€¦Keeps her dealsā€¦And
I prefer to do my own killinā€™ā€¦Now,
loveā€¦ā€

She grimaced as he twisted at the point where heā€™d gripped her armā€¦
Ohhhā€¦

ā€œIā€™m sure killing you is out of the questionā€¦And thrall uselessā€¦But
Iā€™m a great believer in the power of raw physical violenceā€¦Who wants
to hire me for whackinā€™ the Slayer?...And why?...Might be wise to pull
over, loveā€¦ā€

She did soā€¦Rubbing freed arm on stoppingā€¦

ā€œSo?...ā€ he eyed herā€¦

ā€œI meant what I saidā€¦ā€ she notedā€¦ ā€œIā€™m here to help you set all things
rightā€¦ā€

ā€œFor how many easy payments of $9.95?...ā€

ā€œYou wouldnā€™t like to have vengeance?...ā€

ā€œA kindly fellow like me, with full access to my own inner
maniac?...Why should I wish ill toward anyone in particular, apart
from the natural need to feed and the instinct to inflict
suffering?...No, my heart is filled with nothing but benevolenceā€¦I
just saved the world, if you werenā€™t awareā€¦ā€

ā€œThen surely the world owes you, Williamā€¦ā€

ā€œTwenty gallons of gasoline will do nicelyā€¦Thanksā€¦ā€

ā€œNot even interested in another crack at the Slayer?...ā€

ā€œMy friend and angel of light, Buffy Summers?ā€¦Why, maā€™am if you were
to take one ill-intentioned step in her directionā€¦ā€

She eyed himā€¦

ā€œI could almost believe you meant thatā€¦ā€ she saidā€¦

ā€œLadyā€¦ā€ he smiled coldlyā€¦ ā€œThanks for the liftā€¦But Iā€™m not a contract
playerā€¦As for the Slayer, Iā€™ll deal with herā€¦Whoever she is at that
timeā€¦In my own eternal timeā€¦ā€ he opened the doorā€¦

ā€œWaitā€¦ā€ she pulled out her purseā€¦Taking out a twentyā€¦ ā€œIā€™m obliged to
grant your wishā€¦ā€ she smiledā€¦Handling him the money which he stared at
a moment, then shrugging, tookā€¦

ā€œThanksā€¦ā€ he turned to get outā€¦

ā€œSpike might be content with thatā€¦ā€ she beganā€¦

ā€œBut what about William Soames Walthropā€¦?ā€

He paused, eyeing her coollyā€¦Thin smileā€¦

ā€œHeā€™d probably throw the dough in your face and stride off to his
untimely death, making a pretty, if dull speech on the inherent
nobility of the human soulā€¦Give it and my rotting soul a rest, loveā€¦
Good nightā€¦ā€ he got outā€¦

ā€œIt felt good to be a hero, didnā€™t itā€¦?ā€ she called from the open
doorā€¦ ā€œSome little part of you was William again, for an instant in
spite of everything, wasnā€™t he?...ā€

ā€œWasnā€™t he?...ā€ she was beside him now, standing as he looked at the
car door, exasperation on his faceā€¦He whirledā€¦The briefest of starts,
then calm, hard stareā€¦

ā€œIā€™ve been politeā€¦ā€ he said quietlyā€¦ ā€œNow if you donā€™t want me to muss
that pretty hairā€¦ā€

ā€œYou canā€™t harm meā€¦But I could help you, Williamā€¦ā€ Anya smiledā€¦

ā€œDo you get paid strictly by commission for this sort of thing, is
that itā€¦?ā€ he frownedā€¦ ā€œAll right, youā€™re some sort of wish-granterā€¦
Iā€™ve heard tell of your kindā€¦One of Dā€™Hoffrynā€™s girls, I presume?...ā€

ā€œAnyankaā€¦ā€ she noddedā€¦

ā€œTell your boss the markā€™s not interested and if he bothers me again,
there will be consequencesā€¦You might describe in detail the untimely
roasting of our beloved Anointed One, ok?...Besides, I thought your
type dealt strictly with the little mortal kindā€¦ā€

ā€œYou were, onceā€¦And heā€™s still hanging about, demanding answers,
seeking justiceā€¦ā€ she notedā€¦ ā€œYou know he isā€¦ā€

ā€œIf he were so foolish, heā€™d deserve his fateā€¦ā€ Spike started off down
the roadā€¦Leaving her aloneā€¦

ā€œSupposeā€¦ā€ she was beside him again, walkingā€¦

ā€œChristā€¦ā€ he slapped at her with hard swipeā€¦

ā€œJust hear me outā€¦ā€ she was on his opposite sideā€¦

ā€œUntil we reach the nearest station and I set you aflame with some of
the gas you so kindly paid forā€¦ā€

ā€œFineā€¦Suppose you had the chance to be the hero, not the victimā€¦At
lastā€¦ā€

ā€œI like to see myself as the hero of every encounterā€¦Itā€™s all in the
eye of the evil beholder, you knowā€¦ā€ he repliedā€¦Eyeing herā€¦

ā€œSuppose the chance included a chance to learn everything about that
nightā€¦And what really happenedā€¦?ā€

ā€œA girl dumped me, I drank too much, a streetwalker who offered me a
jolly time turned out to be Drusillaā€¦
Mystery solved, loveā€¦ā€

ā€œNoā€¦And you know it, Williamā€¦ā€

He pausedā€¦ ā€œWhy?...ā€

ā€œI exist to see justice doneā€¦We all doā€¦ā€

Uh-huhā€¦ ā€œLovelyā€¦Why?...ā€

ā€œInjustice was done to each of us, soā€¦ā€

ā€œNo, loveā€¦You know what I meanā€¦Why me?...ā€

She hesitatedā€¦

Gotta give it the full forceā€¦

Yetā€¦Honesty?...Unprecedentedā€¦

Still, D-H knows his soulsā€¦And this one will only cave for the trueā€¦

ā€œItā€™s our chance to capture Cicelyā€™s soulā€¦ā€ she repliedā€¦ ā€œAnd condemn
her as you were condemnedā€¦ā€

He stared at herā€¦

ā€œHer soul livesā€¦Nowā€¦Hereā€¦ā€ she noddedā€¦ ā€œFree of you, butā€¦Searching for
youā€¦Desperate to find you and
make amends, in point of factā€¦And this is your chance to learn the how
and the whyā€¦ā€

ā€œDā€™Hoffryn wants Cicelyā€™s soul?...ā€ he blinkedā€¦

ā€œTo drag her down and condemn her foreverā€¦Itā€™s what we doā€¦ā€ she
smiledā€¦ā€œParticularly to the greatest of heroinesā€¦With a tragic
weaknessā€¦ā€

ā€œGood luck with that, loveā€¦Give the bitch my regards if you pull it
offā€¦ā€ he continued onā€¦

ā€œPart of youā€¦Loves the idea of condemning that bitchā€¦But most of youā€¦
Admit it,Williamā€¦ā€

He snarled at herā€¦Taking faceā€¦She vanished to reappear on the branch
of a large treeā€¦

ā€œWasting your time, Spikeā€¦ā€ she cooedā€¦Then back at his right sideā€¦

ā€œYou want answersā€¦ā€ she noted to his furious faceā€¦ ā€œAdmit itā€¦And,
whatever rage you feel at herā€¦Iā€™ve made you wonderā€¦As you so often do,
floating about Spikeā€¦William, I know youā€™re hereā€¦You have a choice nowā€¦
You can go on floating round, till Spike wallows in so much blood even
you run for Limbo or Heaven or whatever and Cicely can meet her
inevitable fate, abandoned by youā€¦Orā€¦You can have a chance to know the
truth and to take matters into your own handsā€¦Stop being the victim,
if only for an instantā€¦ā€

ā€œA puzzlerā€¦And a catchā€¦?ā€

ā€œIf you failā€¦Probably allā€™s lostā€¦Foreverā€¦For all Humanity as well as
you and Cicelyā€¦ā€ she smiled benignlyā€¦ ā€œYeahā€¦Sheā€™s that importantā€¦And
of course youā€™d likely be dustā€¦ā€

ā€œThere is no me and the one you mentionedā€¦As for Humanity, Iā€™ve done
more than any vamp should be expected to do, thanksā€¦ā€

ā€œAnd if you winā€¦ā€ she smiledā€¦ ā€œYou get another chanceā€¦Both of youā€¦ā€

ā€œDelightfulā€¦Noā€¦ā€

ā€œWhy do you think youā€™ve been so fascinated by Slayers?...Why this
particular Slayer?...ā€ she stared at himā€¦

And found herself on the ground, breath knocked out of herā€¦

Tsk-tskā€¦He wagged a forefinger at herā€¦She got up, frowningā€¦Okā€¦

ā€œNiceā€¦You have ability, Williamā€¦Youā€™ll have Spikeā€™s powerā€¦A fair
chanceā€¦At last, answersā€¦Andā€¦ā€ wry smileā€¦

ā€œA chance to really impress the girl of your dreamsā€¦ā€ she beamedā€¦
ā€œPlus I threw in that full tank of gasā€¦Come onā€¦What have you got to
lose but a pesky soul hovering aboutā€¦ā€

ā€œHow couldā€¦?ā€

Nibbleā€¦Now play the line, let him run with itā€¦

ā€œTwenty-four hours to resolve everythingā€¦Find the answersā€¦Save the
world on your own from a terrible Evilā€¦
Well, with some help but not hersā€¦And save the girlā€¦From her own
darknessā€¦ā€

He pausedā€¦Words coming to him, he couldnā€™t stop them from coming
throughā€¦

ā€œAnd the catch, even ifā€¦?ā€

ā€œā€¦If you win?ā€¦You get another chanceā€¦Not resolutionā€¦We canā€™t give you
thatā€¦But a certain chanceā€¦Both of youā€¦Will, sheā€™s dying within,
doesnā€™t even know that she is, poor kidā€¦Losing her Humanity to the
Slayer as sheā€™s always fearedā€¦And much as we want that, Iā€™ll be honestā€¦
Thereā€™s a part even of us that wants to see you two have a sporting
chanceā€¦Will you abandon her, fail her again?...And the others, this is
their chance tooā€¦ā€

ā€œI neverā€¦ā€ he gaspedā€¦Suddenlyā€¦

Wellā€¦Hello, Williamā€¦Hooked and in the bagā€¦She thought, contentedlyā€¦

ā€œYou can hear her, screaming, cryingā€¦Pleading for you to believe in
herā€¦And you do, you have still all these years, in spite of that nightā€¦
Will, donā€™t leave her, trapped like thisā€¦Worse than you, dying with
her guiltā€¦And the others, theyā€™re dying within tooā€¦You know that, itā€™s
your pity and compassion that was the lure for Druā€¦Give them this
chance for a moment of redemptionā€¦Give her this chanceā€¦ā€

ā€œCicely?...ā€ he whisperedā€¦

Warm smileā€¦

ā€œWishā€¦Granted, Williamā€¦ā€ Anyanka disappearedā€¦

***

He glanced round again, for the tenth timeā€¦No sign of herā€¦Goneā€¦

Lordā€¦He shruggedā€¦

Well, whatever it wasā€¦Practical joke or something realā€¦I still need
gasā€¦He looked down the highwayā€¦

A lightā€¦Seemed like a signā€¦Yes, the last station on the way out of
townā€¦Well, stick to the practical for now and worry about what canā€™t
be helped laterā€¦

Cicelyā€¦He pictured her, for the first time in what?...Fifty yearsā€¦?

Alright, more like fifty daysā€¦Perhaps evenā€¦Hours?...

But that was surely Spike simply stoking the ole fires of vengeanceā€¦

Searching for meā€¦And here, nowā€¦She saidā€¦

Noā€¦He shook his headā€¦

Noā€¦Itā€™s a trickā€¦A jokeā€¦A very bad oneā€¦Perhaps of Angelusā€™ makinā€™?...A
little parting gift left in case his little plan to destroy all
failed?...Have me runninā€™ to the Slayer, asking herā€¦?

Yeah, a pretty picture thatā€¦She laughing so hard, she might even spare
me again, just kick me down the road outta townā€¦

Noā€¦Not possibleā€¦

Cicely was much bigger all aroundā€¦

Stillā€¦She was a sweet girlā€¦Though full of sass, like Cics was, in the
first daysā€¦The old daysā€¦The days when I dreamedā€¦Noā€¦

Noā€¦

Lost in his thoughtsā€¦He failed to see the moon had turned a bloody redā€¦
Then clearedā€¦

***

A scream interrupted his reverieā€¦He instinctively hurried toward the
sound, coming from the station aheadā€¦

A young woman, dark-hairedā€¦On the ground, her legs crushed by the car
that had driven over herā€¦Shrieking in agonyā€¦He moved to herā€¦Blood all
overā€¦

ā€œHelp me!...ā€ she wailedā€¦

He looked roundā€¦Some way to stop the bleedingā€¦Tourniquet?...He grabbed
a long cleaning ragā€¦ ā€œMiss, Iā€™ll have to lift your legs, hang onā€¦ā€ he
lifted and wrapped the rag about her left thigh, the left leg a bloody
messā€¦

ā€œOhā€¦ā€ she moanedā€¦ ā€œYou son of a bitch!...ā€

ā€œIā€™m sorryā€¦That should slow the bleedingā€¦Let me try and get helpā€¦ā€ he
rose and saw the station attendant eyeing themā€¦

ā€œDid you call a doctor?!...ā€ he calledā€¦

ā€œCall one yourselfā€¦ā€ the boy shruggedā€¦ ā€œAnd get her out of my
drivewayā€¦ā€ He turned and went back insideā€¦

Jesusā€¦Spike staredā€¦

ā€œIā€™ll kill him when I catch up with himā€¦ā€ the girl hissedā€¦ ā€œGet me a
doctor, you bastard!...ā€

He eyed her angry, contorted faceā€¦Pain, of agonizing sort, certainlyā€¦
But something moreā€¦A raging hate winning out even over agony that
should have put all thoughts but agony asideā€¦

He hurried to the station store and went inā€¦ ā€œPhone?...ā€

ā€œThereā€¦ā€ the boy pointed, slouchingā€¦ ā€œAnd get her out or Iā€™ll throw
her in the highwayā€¦ā€

ā€œHelloā€¦911ā€¦Iā€™m reportinā€™ā€¦ā€

ā€œGo to Hellā€¦ā€ clickā€¦

ā€œHello?...ā€ he triedā€¦

Wrong number?...He dialed againā€¦

ā€œWhat?...ā€

ā€œThis is an emergencyā€¦Is this 911?...ā€

ā€œYeahā€¦F-youā€¦ā€ clickā€¦

Hmmnā€¦

He dialed ā€œ0ā€ā€¦

ā€œOperator, can you put me through to the nearest hospital off Rt 195
in Sunnydale?...ā€

ā€œSureā€¦ā€ laughā€¦Clickā€¦

Rightā€¦He pondered, then dialed 411ā€¦

Where an out-of-town operator quickly gave him the number and
transferred the callā€¦

ā€œSunnydale General?...Emergency?...ā€

Hideous screams in the backgroundā€¦

ā€œWhatda you want?...ā€

ā€œIā€™ve an emergencyā€¦A woman run overā€¦ā€

ā€œAlive?...ā€

ā€œOnly if you hurryā€¦Pleaseā€¦ā€

ā€œArnie, we may have a live oneā€¦ā€ callā€¦ ā€œWhere is she?...ā€

ā€œThe Mobil station on Rt 195, just out of townā€¦Can you hurry?...ā€

ā€œKeep her packed in ice and weā€™ll get to herā€¦ā€ chuckleā€¦ ā€œBring the saw
and the organ boxā€¦Donā€™t blow this
oneā€¦ā€ callā€¦

He hung upā€¦

Hmmnā€¦

Ohā€¦Godā€¦He suddenly gaspedā€¦A vision of the girl on the groundā€¦He
trembled, shuddered at the sightā€¦

Noā€¦Not herā€¦One like herā€¦Oneā€¦

Louiseā€¦That girl in St. Louisā€¦The one whoā€™d begged him to leave her
baby aloneā€¦

Noā€¦And I laughed andā€¦

ā€œHeyā€¦Either buy something and get the bitch outta my driveway or getā€¦ā€
the attendant called to himā€¦But backed down at his icy stareā€¦

I took that baby and laughed andā€¦

He got to the door, stumbled outā€¦

The girlā€¦I can stillā€¦

A car parked by the pump where sheā€¦

Jesusā€¦Still layā€¦

He rushed overā€¦A thirty-ish brown-haired woman pumping gas, talking on
phoneā€¦

Stared at him with frownā€¦

ā€œWhereā€™s theā€¦ā€ he stared at part of the corpse underneath the womanā€™s
right front tireā€¦

ā€œYou oughta get your garbage outta the wayā€¦I coulda blown a tireā€¦ā€ the
woman snapped at himā€¦Returning immediately to the phoneā€¦ ā€œSo I told
Momā€¦Iā€™m through paying through the nose for you, you old bitchā€¦And she
starts bawlingā€¦So I hung up andā€¦ā€

He went roundā€¦The body, minus severed limbs, now lying by the next
pump islandā€¦Face contorted in pain?...Rageā€¦?

He put his hands in his hairā€¦What Hellish madness?...Right out ofā€¦

Well, one of my wilder eveningsā€¦

Dreamingā€¦Iā€™m dreamingā€¦All of itā€¦Everythingā€¦The girl, that waifish
streetwalkerā€¦Drusilla?...Yesā€¦The waking up in a shallow grave,
digging out to find her waitingā€¦The killingā€¦Mumā€¦Oh, Godā€¦It has to beā€¦
It has to have been a dream, all of itā€¦And thisā€¦

He looked roundā€¦

But those arenā€™t carriages and these are gasoline pumpsā€¦

ā€œHey!...ā€ the woman on phone had hung upā€¦ ā€œYou wanna screw?...I got
thirtyā€¦ā€

He stared at herā€¦No, not one of themā€¦One of meā€¦

Still humanā€¦After a fashionā€¦

ā€œYour loss, palā€¦ā€ she shrugged and got in her car, nearly hitting him
as she drove offā€¦

The attendant running out of the station storeā€¦Gun in hand, firing
after herā€¦ ā€œBitch!...Come back here and pay up!!...ā€

ā€œHey!...ā€ he raced overā€¦Trying to grab for the gunā€¦

ā€œYou want some?...ā€ the attendant whirled, firingā€¦

He winced but felt only the mildest stingingā€¦

Yep, stillā€¦One of themā€¦

ā€œChristā€¦ā€ the attendant backed away from himā€¦ ā€œYou get outta here, you
freak!...Iā€™m calling the cops!!...ā€ā€¦He ran back into the station
storeā€¦

All rightā€¦All rightā€¦William put hand to his headā€¦

Noā€¦He forced eyes open at the onset of the visions which gripped him
on closing eyesā€¦

Thousandsā€¦Thousands upon thousandsā€¦Men, womenā€¦Childrenā€¦

And I canā€™t even remember a nameā€¦Or a face, clearlyā€¦

Exceptā€¦Oneā€¦He closed eyesā€¦Yes, I remember oneā€¦

Motherā€¦Oh, Mother for the love of God take pity on your poor sonā€™s
lostā€¦

ā€¦Soul?...

***

The demonā€¦The wish-granter, what the hell was her nameā€¦Anna?...Anyaā€¦
Anyaā€¦Rightā€¦He thought as he
made his way back toward the car, gallon container of gas in handā€¦

She saidā€¦A chanceā€¦The fate of Humanityā€¦And of usā€¦

Us?...He shook his headā€¦Noā€¦There is no ā€œusā€ā€¦Cicely sent me awayā€¦

And whatever her game, this wish-granting whoreā€¦It couldnā€™t involve
Cicely beingā€¦

Here?...Aliveā€¦

Seeking meā€¦

And asā€¦?

Nonsense, even if the girlā€™s not a natural, Cicely would never trade
her brunetteā€¦This is some kind of cruel game, a deceptionā€¦

But she was right about my strange interest in those poor girlsā€¦Whom
every other of my kind runs from unless backed up by major firepower
or severe threat by the current Big Badā€¦For Spikeā€¦

For meā€¦They were a lureā€¦

Noā€¦Some kind of deceptionā€¦Clearly all I have waiting for me is a
dreadful penance aheadā€¦

Could that be it?...Could this be Hell and Damnation?...Those whom the
Gods would destroy, they first give back a soul?...

And yet she said I had a chance not to be the victimā€¦

To save herā€¦And win a chance for us bothā€¦

Nonsenseā€¦A trickā€¦All of this, an illusionā€¦

Though one with a practical bentā€¦I am still in the world Iā€™ve existed
in for a century since that night, or so itā€™s seemedā€¦This is Earth,
best as I can make outā€¦However bizarre the behavior of some peopleā€¦

And it still seems a world in which one needs gasoline to travelā€¦He
eyed the containerā€¦

And Drusillaā€¦Is still out there, waiting for me in that carā€¦

Now clearly this Dā€™Hoffryn has some delightful game in mind for me to
playā€¦What was it?...Twenty-four hours, she said?...If she can be
trusted, which Iā€™d say I have excellent reason to doubtā€¦

But I donā€™t have to playā€¦In fact, there being nothing for me hereā€¦I
can take action, end this here and nowā€¦He scanned the side of the
highwayā€¦Thereā€¦He moved to where some broken fence slats lay in a
little pileā€¦He took a piece up and eyed itā€¦

Exit, stage rightā€¦He thought wrylyā€¦Breaking a bit off one end to form
a crude pointā€¦

ā€œNot her fine instrument, but it will do the job at handā€¦ā€ he notedā€¦.

Waitā€¦

Drusillaā€¦

I canā€™t leave her, that monster free to cause mayhemā€¦That poor
condemned soul crying out to meā€¦Begging meā€¦

Trapped like meā€¦That night in Pragueā€¦Those poorā€¦Godā€¦Those poor
childrenā€¦And she, just for an instantā€¦
Somehow broke through and cried outā€¦

Yes, she nearly saved us both that nightā€¦We barely escaped the mob and
that fire, worse luckā€¦

God if Iā€™ve done nothing else to atone for my weakness, the least I
can do is not abandon her to suffer alone here, pitiful lambā€¦

And sheā€™s likely still sleepingā€¦A simple, merciful thingā€¦Not done for
revenge or in hateā€¦And then, for me as wellā€¦Freedom and peace, at
lastā€¦

Right then, Walthropā€¦Hereā€™s your real chance to do some goodā€¦And
change the damned game plan on our little demonic friend and her bossā€¦
He strode onā€¦

Should be just another halfā€¦He peered down the roadā€¦Squintingā€¦

Vampiral abilities or no, I still could use my old specsā€¦

Someone comingā€¦

Someoneā€¦.Ohā€¦.

Guess the drugs werenā€™t as effective as Iā€™d hopedā€¦

Drusilla was moving along, tentativelyā€¦Glancing roundā€¦.Her black shawl
trailingā€¦Her gaze finally coming to fix on himā€¦She closed, slowlyā€¦
Deliberatelyā€¦

Does she sense?...Iā€™mā€¦Differentā€¦?

His hand on the makeshift stake, now hidden against his black jacket
sleeve, tensedā€¦

One quick swipe when she moves in a bit moreā€¦

She stopped, staring at himā€¦Swaying a littleā€¦Raising a hand as if to
clear her demented mindā€¦

ā€œSirā€¦ā€ she hesitatedā€¦ ā€œIs this Hell?...ā€

***

ā€œCarefulā€¦ā€ he warned her as they stood by the roadā€¦The car coming up
behind them from town, headlights glaring, showing no signs of slowing
as it neared themā€¦

She watched it pass within inches, the breeze lifting her hairā€¦

ā€œFolks not taking much care for their neighbor this night, it seemsā€¦ā€
he notedā€¦

ā€œKill me, sirā€¦Nowā€¦ā€ she looked at himā€¦ ā€œFree me from thisā€¦Tormentā€¦
Before It can return and use me moreā€¦
Please, Mr. Walthropā€¦ā€ she beggedā€¦ ā€œForgive me and take pity on meā€¦ā€

ā€œThere is nothing to forgiveā€¦Missā€¦ā€ he pausedā€¦Finally a wan smileā€¦

ā€œI know Spike told you my name but actually we never were properly
introducedā€¦ā€

ā€œWaverlyā€¦Drusilla Waverlyā€¦ā€ she eyed himā€¦. ā€œHelp me, sirā€¦I donā€™t know
if I can take my own lifeā€¦But It mustnā€™t be allowed to returnā€¦Iā€™ve no
right to ask your help, I knowā€¦ā€ she pleadedā€¦Raising hands to him as
if in prayerā€¦He patted her arm...

ā€œYou arenā€™t to blame, Miss Waverlyā€¦ā€ he shook his headā€¦ ā€œI donā€™t know
who or why in this matterā€¦God certainly must take a share of the blameā€¦
But not youā€¦ā€

ā€œI failedā€¦ā€ Dru shook her headā€¦ ā€œI was not strong enoughā€¦ā€

ā€œNo one isā€¦Drusillaā€¦God knows, you know I certainly wasnā€™tā€¦ā€

ā€œI killed you, sirā€¦And the others, the othersā€¦ā€ her face contorted,
hands clenchingā€¦

ā€œAngelus killed youā€¦The demon killed the othersā€¦Druā€¦Miss Waverlyā€¦
Youā€™ve done nothing evilā€¦You couldnā€™t stop the creature who possessed
youā€¦ā€

ā€œI must be destroyedā€¦It might return at any momentā€¦ā€

ā€œNot for a bitā€¦I thinkā€¦ā€ he replied, shaking headā€¦ ā€œIt must have been
meant for you, tooā€¦ā€

ā€œSir?...ā€ she eyed himā€¦

ā€œSomeoneā€¦Perhaps even a worse beast than our counterpartsā€¦Is having a
bit of fun with us, missā€¦ā€

ā€œFunā€¦?ā€ she gaspedā€¦ ā€œIs itā€¦Him?...ā€

ā€œThe Beast?...ā€

He eyed her terrified faceā€¦Ahā€¦

ā€œAngelus?...Noā€¦Heā€™s off to Hellā€¦Him and perhaps his soul, Lord knowsā€¦
You do rememberā€¦?ā€

ā€œIā€¦ā€ she hesitatedā€¦ ā€œIā€™m sorryā€¦Iā€¦ā€

ā€œNoā€¦Forgive meā€¦I shouldnā€™t try to make you remember any of thatā€¦ā€

ā€œNot him?...Another?...ā€ she staredā€¦

ā€œSomeone wishing to have a bit of fun with me at leastā€¦Not you, I
think, dear heartā€¦ Though they have a larger and more sinister purpose
in mindā€¦I am sorry youā€™ve been caught up in thisā€¦ā€

ā€œItā€™s only what I deserve for failing Godā€¦ā€ she shook her headā€¦

He frownedā€¦

ā€œI refuse to believe that, Miss Waverlyā€¦I may not have much liking for
the ole fellow, but even I wonā€™t assume Heā€™s behind any of this
directlyā€¦At least not without proofā€¦ā€

She blanchedā€¦ ā€œIā€¦ā€

He sighedā€¦ ā€œNoā€¦ā€ he put up a handā€¦ ā€œMy faultā€¦Iā€™ve never learnt to
control my tongueā€¦Itā€™s got me in quite a bit ofā€¦Wellā€¦ā€ he smiled
faintly, shruggingā€¦ ā€œAs you seeā€¦Please, forgive me, I spoke out of
turnā€¦ā€

ā€œI can only beg your forgiveness, sirā€¦ā€ she eyed himā€¦Then looked
roundā€¦ ā€œSoā€¦This is the worldā€¦Not Hell?...When I found myself hereā€¦Like
thisā€¦ā€ she indicated herselfā€¦ ā€œI was so sureā€¦ā€ her voice, trailingā€¦
ā€œFor so longā€¦I seemedā€¦ā€ she pausedā€¦ ā€œI knew of you and Itā€¦Butā€¦I seemed
to have escapedā€¦Thought Iā€™d been freedā€¦ā€

He staredā€¦ ā€œSheā€¦Your counterpartā€¦And Iā€¦Mineā€¦Have been here, I thinkā€¦
Since my deathā€¦Here on Earth, that isā€¦Assuming this is Earthā€¦You say
you were free?...ā€

ā€œI donā€™t know, sirā€¦ā€ she shook her headā€¦ ā€œI felt awayā€¦Safeā€¦Free of Itā€¦
Though believe me, if I had known how you sufferedā€¦If I could have
done anythingā€¦ā€

ā€œI knowā€¦ā€ he noddedā€¦ ā€œAnd you did tryā€¦You did, Druā€¦Missā€¦Nearly got us
killed doing it onceā€¦ā€ smileā€¦ ā€œWhatever Angelus intended, he failedā€¦
Your soul has stayed pureā€¦ā€

ā€œSo many deathsā€¦So much sufferingā€¦ā€ she sighedā€¦Staring downā€¦

ā€œNot by youā€¦Nowā€¦ā€ he smiled gently at herā€¦ ā€œThereā€™s been enough
suffering, missā€¦No moreā€¦At least not to ourselves by our own handsā€¦
Miss, weā€™ve done our share of itā€¦And then someā€¦ā€

She stared at his stern lookā€¦Sighedā€¦

ā€œPerhaps youā€™re right, sirā€¦It may be that it is not yet my timeā€¦What
can I do?...ā€ she askedā€¦

ā€œMiss?...ā€

ā€œYou say some creature wishes to torment you by bringing us back to
this worldā€¦How can I assist you?...ā€

ā€œMiss Waverly, I think it may beā€¦ā€

ā€œDangerous?...ā€ she now gave a wan smileā€¦Shrugā€¦ ā€œWe are dead, sirā€¦
There should be little that we need fearā€¦ā€

ā€œI donā€™t know what it may involveā€¦You have a soul again, missā€¦
Perhapsā€¦ā€

ā€œMy soulā€¦And my lifeā€¦Are in Godā€™s hands, sirā€¦I was wrong to try and
take that decision into my ownā€¦God has given me a chance to prove
myself at last, after so longā€¦Please let me help you, if and while I
canā€¦I owe you that much and moreā€¦ā€

ā€œNo, you donā€™tā€¦You owe me nothing, missā€¦ā€

She looked at him a long momentā€¦

ā€œNothingā€¦ā€ he repeated, firmlyā€¦

ā€œThen let me do it as a friendā€¦For the friendship your soul extended
to me in my agonyā€¦Williamā€¦ā€ she said, simplyā€¦

***

ā€œHere?...ā€ Dru looked at the gas station store as she stood by their
carā€¦William closing his doorā€¦

ā€œItā€™s where I first noticed something wrongā€¦And feltā€¦Myself, againā€¦ā€
Will noddedā€¦ ā€œBut carefulā€¦ā€ he nodded at the police car now parked by
the storeā€¦

A loud scream of agony from withinā€¦She gave a stricken cry and raced
for the store door, not waiting for himā€¦

ā€œHold it, ladyā€¦ā€ a voice from the police carā€¦She haltedā€¦

ā€œPolice business hereā€¦Get lostā€¦ā€ the cop rose out of his carā€¦

ā€œUnless you want a littleā€¦Quick justiceā€¦ā€ he grinnedā€¦ ā€œIā€™d say that
car of yours wonā€™t look too good on a checkā€¦ā€ he nodded at the
battered Spikemobileā€¦

Another screamā€¦

ā€œDo something!...Someone is being killed in thereā€¦ā€ she pleadedā€¦ ā€œOh,
Iā€™m sorry butā€¦ā€ she hurried on into the store as Will reached the door
just after herā€¦

ā€œHey!!...ā€ the cop criedā€¦

They burst in to find the young attendant on the floorā€¦Two cops
pouring hot, scalding coffee on himā€¦On face, on chestā€¦The boy howlingā€¦

ā€œThese doughnuts are staleā€¦ā€ one officer sneered at the boyā€¦ ā€œAnd as
for this pastryā€¦ā€ he tossed a cheese Danish at the writhing boy as his
partner delivered a hard kickā€¦

ā€œHey!...ā€ the second officer yelped in surprise as he was tossed back
against a counter of dangerously caloric snacksā€¦

ā€œHereā€¦ā€ Dru knelt over the screaming boy as he twistedā€¦

ā€œYou just got yourself in bad with the Law, ladyā€¦ā€ the officer whoā€™d
had complaints as to quality of goods glared at herā€¦

Then, relenting slightlyā€¦

Not too badā€¦

She stared up at himā€¦Arm round the boyā€¦

Will now at her side, eyeing the officerā€¦The second officer now
picking himself off the floorā€¦

ā€œBut I could be persuaded to overlook this infringement of the penal
codeā€¦If youā€™re very good, little girlā€¦ā€ the first officer leeredā€¦

ā€œGet out of hereā€¦ā€ William told himā€¦Coldlyā€¦

ā€œGetā€¦ā€ he repeatedā€¦

The officer eyed himā€¦

ā€œGive him a good one, Harryā€¦ā€ the second officer had staggered over to
his partnerā€¦

ā€œF-youā€¦ā€ the first sneeredā€¦ ā€œA girl just knocked the guts outta you,
Sidneyā€¦ā€

ā€œI told you to goā€¦ā€ William told the first officer quietlyā€¦ ā€œDonā€™t
make me say it againā€¦ā€

ā€œYou got a big mouth, buddyā€¦Want it even bigger?...ā€ the officer
pulled out his gunā€¦

ā€œPleaseā€¦Just goā€¦ā€ Dru stared at himā€¦ ā€œYou need to goā€¦You have business
elsewhereā€¦ā€

She staredā€¦He, blinkingā€¦ Yeahā€¦

ā€œCome onā€¦We got businessā€¦And we donā€™t want any extra paperworkā€¦ā€ he
pulled at his partnerā€¦

ā€œYou donā€™t want to stay hereā€¦ā€ Dru eyed the partnerā€¦ ā€œYouā€™re hurt and
you want to get outā€¦ā€

ā€œLets goā€¦ā€ the partner noddedā€¦Grabbing at his sideā€¦ ā€œI got find a
hospitalā€¦ā€

ā€œThe hell Iā€™m driving youā€¦ā€ the first officer saidā€¦

ā€œNight, folksā€¦ā€ he called back to the groupā€¦The boy cradled in Druā€™s
armsā€¦Dru knelling on the floorā€¦William standing, eyeing the retreating
copsā€¦

ā€œTerribleā€¦Hideousā€¦ā€ Dru shook her headā€¦

ā€œMust be new, from LAā€¦ā€ Will notedā€¦

ā€œNo, not themā€¦ā€ she shook her headā€¦Absently patting and stroking the
wounded boy whom she had set gently down on her shawl, pulled from her
shouldersā€¦

ā€œā€¦what was done to themā€¦ā€ she sighedā€¦ ā€œAnd this poor boyā€¦ā€

He looked at the boyā€¦

Hmmnā€¦Well the burns arenā€™t too badā€¦

ā€œHis soul, sirā€¦And the policemenā€¦Goneā€¦ā€ she shook her head sadlyā€¦

ā€œGoneā€¦?ā€

ā€œYou must sense it a littleā€¦That they are differentā€¦ā€

ā€œBut they didnā€™tā€¦They arenā€™t vampiresā€¦Or any kind of demon I know ofā€¦ā€

ā€œNoā€¦Worseā€¦ā€ she saidā€¦Frightened lookā€¦ ā€œThey are simply humans who have
lost all their Humanityā€¦ā€

***

Having done what they could for the boyā€¦Calling an out-of-town
ambulance, treating his burns with first aid
creams from the store, and giving him what pain-killer was available,
William and Drusilla had left the store and had returned to their carā€¦
Trying to determine a course of actionā€¦

ā€œA trade-offā€¦ā€ he suggested as they satā€¦

ā€œWe get back ours and a few locals lose theirsā€¦At least for a day or
soā€¦?ā€

ā€œVery likely, sirā€¦Butā€¦ā€ Dru ponderedā€¦

ā€œWhat have they (whoever) done with the soulsā€¦And how many more are
affected?...Perhaps we should try to see whatā€™s happening in the
townā€¦?ā€

ā€œI imagine itā€™s not goodā€¦ā€ he frownedā€¦

ā€œShe saidā€¦ā€ he pausedā€¦Eyeing Druā€¦ ā€œI would have the chance to save
herā€¦ā€

ā€œCicely?...ā€ Dru askedā€¦

ā€œYou remember Cicely?...ā€

ā€œI remember everything up to a pointā€¦And especially Cicelyā€¦It hated
herā€¦ā€ she said quietlyā€¦ ā€œEvery time your
demonā€¦Spikeā€¦Came close to mentioning her name, It ragedā€¦And despairedā€¦
But it was too late to harm her, poor thing, she was long deadā€¦ā€

He noddedā€¦

ā€œAnd now, somehowā€¦ā€ Dru consideredā€¦ ā€œShe is backā€¦Looking for you?...ā€

ā€œI canā€™t trust what this Anya saidā€¦ā€ Will shook his headā€¦ ā€œCicely
never loved meā€¦She wanted me gone and that was thatā€¦Thereā€™d be no
reasonā€¦ā€

ā€œThereā€™d be every reason, Iā€™d say, Williamā€¦ā€ Dru repliedā€¦ ā€œDrusilla
didnā€™t find you by accident that nightā€¦ā€

He stared at herā€¦

ā€œYou were murdered, Mr. Walthropā€¦Very deliberatelyā€¦ā€

***

They drove carefully along the highway into Sunnydaleā€¦Dru trying to
concentrate and senseā€¦Anythingā€¦

ā€œSoā€¦ā€ he pausedā€¦ ā€œSorryā€¦ā€

ā€œNo, itā€™s fineā€¦ā€ she shook her headā€¦ ā€œI sense great chaos but itā€™s
impossible to get specifics yetā€¦What did you want to ask?...ā€

ā€œThis creatureā€¦In Cicelyā€™s form?...Approached youā€¦Itā€¦That night?...ā€

ā€œShe offered you to Itā€¦Yesā€¦And she was in your belovedā€™s formā€¦I saw
the real one myselfā€¦It did, I meanā€¦Shortly before Iā€¦Itā€¦ā€ she
hesitatedā€¦

ā€œItā€¦Killed me...Not youā€¦ā€ he said, sternlyā€¦

ā€œShe was definitely sent to use It to kill youā€¦Why, I canā€™t sayā€¦But
someone wanted you deadā€¦And transformedā€¦For some dark purposeā€¦ā€

ā€œCicelyā€¦Being thoroughā€¦?ā€ he sighedā€¦ ā€œShe might not have been aware of
what sheā€™d done, if Dā€™Hoffryn was involvedā€¦ā€ he gave a sheepish look
at her serious glanceā€¦ ā€œHeā€™s famed for trapping the unwaryā€¦ā€ wan
smileā€¦

ā€œPerhaps that explains itā€¦She wished to make amends?...ā€ Dru notedā€¦
ā€œBut if this girlā€¦This Slayerā€¦?ā€
ā€œMiss Summersā€¦She didnā€™t seem to know meā€¦And while Iā€™ve changed a
bitā€¦ā€

ā€œReincarnationā€¦Yesā€¦Not impossibleā€¦In factā€¦ā€ she hesitatedā€¦

ā€œIt could explain my own situationā€¦ā€

ā€œDru?...ā€

ā€œI remember another lifeā€¦Vaguelyā€¦Not my original one, back with my
parents and my unclesā€¦Anotherā€¦I remember a town, like my old one but
not the sameā€¦And not in Englandā€¦Hereā€¦In Americaā€¦ā€

ā€œReincarnatedā€¦You?...But if thatā€™s trueā€¦ā€

ā€œThen my current self has been robbed of a soulā€¦As I wasā€¦ā€ she
noddedā€¦

He blinked at her steady look, quickly returning his gaze to the roadā€¦

ā€œThen you have my profound apologizes, Miss Waverlyā€¦Iā€™m truly ashamed
to have put you in this situationā€¦ā€

ā€œNo...ā€ Dru repliedā€¦ ā€œIf this is my chance to help you in any wayā€¦To
make some amendsā€¦ā€

She smiled wanly at his glanceā€¦None of that, girlā€¦

ā€œTo defeat those who condemned usā€¦Iā€™m happy to have itā€¦I simply must
trust to God that my current human self will do no harm while Iā€™m hereā€¦
But this girlā€¦Miss Summersā€¦ā€

ā€œI never sensedā€¦Wellā€¦ā€ he pondered, watching the roadā€¦Passing a
recently replaced ā€œWelcome to Sunnydaleā€ signā€¦ ā€œPerhaps there was
somethingā€¦Hard to sayā€¦It did feelā€¦ā€

ā€œLets assume for now this Anya wasnā€™t lying about thisā€¦And this young
woman is Cicely rebornā€¦As well as a vampire Slayerā€¦Could she help?...ā€

ā€œAnya was quite clear she would be needing my helpā€¦ā€ he sighedā€¦ ā€œI
guess we can assume sheā€™s affected by this tooā€¦ā€

ā€œDear Godā€¦ā€ Dru blanchedā€¦ ā€œSoulless, like the others?...And theseā€¦
Slayers?...Are very powerful, true?...ā€

ā€œVeryā€¦ā€ he noddedā€¦ ā€œIf sheā€™s become like the othersā€¦Iā€™d say heroics
here will be a bit difficultā€¦ā€

ā€œWe should be on guard thenā€¦And approach her with extreme cautionā€¦ā€

ā€œSoulless or no, that would be trueā€¦Weā€™re still vampires, after allā€¦
And sheā€™s not one to take chances with the likes of usā€¦ā€ he sighedā€¦

ā€œOh, myā€¦Williamā€¦.ā€ Dru pointedā€¦ ā€œLook at those childrenā€¦ā€

He looked where sheā€™d pointed out her windowā€¦To see a row of children
in nightdressā€¦Pyjamas, nightiesā€¦None older than four or fiveā€¦Twenty or
soā€¦Wanderingā€¦

A car racing by nearly hit theirsā€¦Stopping with sudden halt by an
appliance storeā€¦A couple getting outā€¦The woman pointing at the store
window, the man taking a sledgehammer from the rear of the carā€¦He
tossed it at the
window, shattering it and setting off alarmsā€¦They climbed in, grabbing
at various itemsā€¦The children looking overā€¦Racing their wayā€¦

The man threatened them with his hammer and they fell backā€¦Waiting,
greedy-eyedā€¦

ā€œLookā€¦ā€ Dru gaspedā€¦ ā€œMoreā€¦ā€

Children wandering down the streetā€¦Some older, most quite youngā€¦

ā€œThe parents are abandoning themā€¦ā€ she looked at himā€¦ ā€œWe must stop
thisā€¦ā€

A young, dark-haired, twentysomething woman in sweater and skirt
hurrying down the streetā€¦Pausing to stare at the wandering childrenā€¦

Some of them eyeing her coldlyā€¦Others looking her over, the same
greedy stare as theyā€™d given the couple looting the appliance storeā€¦

ā€œNoā€¦ā€ she waved two offā€¦ ā€œKeep back!...Iā€™ll hurt you!!...ā€ she stepped
backā€¦

ā€œSheā€™s like usā€¦ā€ Dru staredā€¦

ā€œPleaseā€¦You have to go homeā€¦Get away from here!ā€¦Donā€™t you
understand?!...ā€ the woman criedā€¦One little girl grabbing a necklace
around her throatā€¦Pulling it tightā€¦Breaking it loose as the woman
struggled, then running off
down the streetā€¦Several following after herā€¦Calling to herā€¦
Threateningā€¦

ā€œMiss!...ā€ Dru had rolled the car window downā€¦ ā€œWilliam, stop!...ā€

He pulled the car over to the curbā€¦

ā€œNo!...ā€ the woman backed awayā€¦ ā€œIā€™m a monster!...Iā€™ll hurt
you!!...Keep away!!...ā€

ā€œYou wonā€™t hurt usā€¦ā€ Dru calledā€¦ ā€œWeā€™re of your kindā€¦ā€

She stared at Druā€¦ ā€œMyā€¦?ā€

ā€œMonster!!...ā€ she criedā€¦ ā€œYou keep away from these kids!!...ā€

ā€œNo, missā€¦ā€ Dru calledā€¦ ā€œWeā€™ve regained our souls, like youā€¦I swear,
itā€™s all rightā€¦Comeā€¦ā€

The woman eyed herā€¦

ā€œYou can sense itā€¦Just reach outā€¦ā€ Dru noddedā€¦ ā€œWe only want to help,
like youā€¦ā€

She opened the car doorā€¦ ā€œPleaseā€¦Itā€™s all rightā€¦ā€

The woman approachedā€¦Staringā€¦ ā€œYouā€¦I know youā€¦Youā€™re Drusilla, the oneā€¦
The one they kept in the cellarā€¦
That boy that night they brought me inā€¦And that maniacā€¦The blonde
guyā€¦ā€

ā€œYesā€¦ā€ Dru noddedā€¦ ā€œBut it is all rightā€¦You can sense Iā€™m not lying to
youā€¦ā€

The woman came closerā€¦Shakingā€¦Finally stopping just in front of Druā€¦

William looking over saw the womanā€™s sweater was stainedā€¦

Bloodā€¦

ā€œWhatā€™s happened?...ā€ the woman askedā€¦

ā€œWe donā€™t knowā€¦ā€ Dru shook her headā€¦ ā€œNot for certainā€¦But we must try
and help these childrenā€¦Get them to shelterā€¦ā€

ā€œHelp them?...ā€ the woman staredā€¦ ā€œI was killing themā€¦Two little girlsā€¦
Just beforeā€¦They thought I was going to take them for ice creamā€¦They
trusted meā€¦ā€

ā€œA demon it was that did thatā€¦Not youā€¦ā€Dru insistedā€¦ ā€œWeā€™ll tell you
what we knowā€¦But for now, we must do what we can to help themā€¦Please,
missā€¦ā€

ā€œOkā€¦ā€ the woman nodded, rubbing her headā€¦ ā€œMaybe youā€™re rightā€¦ā€

ā€œDo you know the area?...Is there a place nearbyā€¦?ā€

ā€œThereā€™s a school thereā€¦ā€ she pointedā€¦ ā€œI sawā€¦ā€ she said, woodenlyā€¦ ā€œI
saw a lady slam her little girl into a lamppostā€¦Just nowā€¦But she
wasnā€™tā€¦Like meā€¦ā€

ā€œSomething terrible has happenedā€¦ā€ Dru noddedā€¦ ā€œBut we will deal with
that laterā€¦ā€ she got outā€¦Will coming from his sideā€¦ ā€œI still have some
ability to influence, it seemsā€¦Lets try and herd them, get them to the
schoolā€¦
Theyā€™ll be safer thereā€¦ā€

ā€œIā€™m afraidā€¦Iā€™llā€¦ā€ the woman stared downā€¦ ā€œLookā€¦Their bloodā€™s all over
meā€¦Oh, Godā€¦ā€

William came overā€¦Took off his leather jacket and gently put it round
herā€¦Zipping it upā€¦She staring at himā€¦He patted her and she burst into
sobsā€¦Grabbing at him, he holding herā€¦Soothing herā€¦

ā€œYou wonā€™t hurt themā€¦ā€ Dru said firmlyā€¦ ā€œIt wasnā€™t you that harmed the
othersā€¦ā€ She came over, taking the woman from Williamā€¦Rocking her in
her armsā€¦ ā€œCome, come lets do what we can while God has given us this
chanceā€¦ā€

***

ā€œTales of Dā€™Hoffrynā€¦ā€

Disclaimer: Would Joss want his name associated with this? I think
not...But anyway all BTVS characters remain
the property of Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and all other owner/
creators of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series...Though his brother
Mort gets nothing...

Archived at the Cicelyverse page of the Buffy Rebecca verse,
www.buffyrebecca.com...

First Evil, the Lord of all Things Vengeful tells a few tales of his
(well, his peopleā€™s) exploits with some old friendsā€¦

Part IIā€¦

ā€œSunsetā€¦ā€

Part IIā€¦

ā€œCarynā€¦?ā€ Dru turned to the vampiress she and William had found
wandering the streets with the abandoned, soulless children of
Sunnydaleā€¦ ā€œCan you check those alleys?...Try waving the toys if they
hide from youā€¦
William?...Can you take the other side?...I have to keep focused if
Iā€™m to hold themā€¦ā€ she looked back to the line of children, ranging
from barely two to young teen following her like ducklingsā€¦

ā€œRight, loveā€¦ā€ Will nodded, grabbing a couple of bright flashing toys
from the bag he filled in passing a smashed toy store window and
tossing it to Caryn who pulled out several and passed it onto Druā€¦

ā€œDru?...ā€ Caryn pausedā€¦Looking nervously at the first alleyā€¦

Alone with innocent childrenā€¦In the darkā€¦Likeā€¦?

ā€œYouā€™ll be fineā€¦ā€ Dru noddedā€¦ ā€œYour soul wonā€™t let them be hurtā€¦ā€

The woman nodded and hurried into the alleyā€¦ ā€œHeyā€¦Weā€™ve got toys here,
guys!!ā€ she calledā€¦

ā€œYou are a noble soul, Dru Waverlyā€¦ā€ William smiled at Dru, then
turned and raced for the side street on his sideā€¦Dangling the brightly
lit toys from his handsā€¦

ā€œCome, childrenā€¦ā€ Dru intoned softly to the line following herā€¦ ā€œComeā€¦
Weā€™ve lovely things for youā€¦ā€

***

The children they could find wandering safely herded into the gym of
the elementary school Caryn had led them toā€¦Theyā€™d secured the main
door with a chain William had found in the maintenance room and come
back to the street outsideā€¦

ā€œWellā€¦The kiddies should be fairly safe for nowā€¦ā€ Will notedā€¦

ā€œWhat ifā€¦ā€ Caryn eyed themā€¦ ā€œThe others, like usā€¦But notā€¦This wayā€¦
Comeā€¦ā€

ā€œJudging by the way this is playing outā€¦ā€ William shruggedā€¦ ā€œIā€™d said
itā€™s likely every vampire in Sunnydale has a soulā€¦ā€

ā€œStillā€¦Caryn has a pointā€¦ā€ Dru saidā€¦Glancing at the schoolā€¦ ā€œUntil we
know for certainā€¦And the children are likely to fight amongst
themselvesā€¦ā€ she eyed Carynā€¦

ā€œIā€™ll stayā€¦ā€ she noddedā€¦Wan smileā€¦ ā€œI was a kindergarten teacherā€¦
Onceā€¦ā€

ā€œWeā€™ll check back with you every hourā€¦ā€ Dru promisedā€¦ā€œAnd any other
children we find, weā€™ll send hereā€¦ā€

ā€œOkā€¦But leave me thatā€¦ā€ Caryn pointed to the crude stake Will still
carriedā€¦ ā€œI wonā€™t be the cause of more deathā€¦If I think Iā€™m
revertingā€¦ā€

ā€œYesā€¦ā€ Dru noddedā€¦ ā€œI understandā€¦Give it to her, Willā€¦She wonā€™t do
anything unless she has toā€¦ā€

ā€œNot while they need me and I can helpā€¦ā€ Caryn agreedā€¦ ā€œWhat will you
do?...ā€

ā€œTry to find the Slayer, Iā€™d sayā€¦If we canā€¦ā€ William shruggedā€¦
ā€œHopefully sheā€™s home sleepinā€™ through this after all sheā€™s been
through the past few with Angelusā€¦ā€

ā€œBe on guardā€¦Of her and the other humansā€¦ā€ Dru notedā€¦ ā€œAs well as our
kind, should any not be souledā€¦Just concentrate on me and Iā€™ll hearā€¦
Weā€™ll comeā€¦Though most who are awake now seem to be further downtownā€¦
Looting and pillaging, Iā€™d supposeā€¦You shouldnā€™t be botheredā€¦ā€

ā€œAll rightā€¦ā€ Caryn turnedā€¦Hesitatingā€¦ ā€œHow long?...ā€ she said, not
turning to look back at themā€¦

ā€œWe think about a dayā€¦ā€ Dru saidā€¦ ā€œBut that may be a lieā€¦ā€

ā€œA dayā€¦ā€ Caryn sighedā€¦Turning to them nowā€¦ ā€œI suppose half of it weā€™ll
be trapped indoorsā€¦ā€

ā€œLikely soā€¦Our bodies havenā€™t changedā€¦ā€ Will noddedā€¦

ā€œWellā€¦Will be nice to work with kids againā€¦For a little whileā€¦Though
if there were timeā€¦ā€

ā€œPerhaps there will beā€¦ā€ Dru smiled kindlyā€¦

ā€œI donā€™t even know if theyā€™re still hereā€¦Or if they knowā€¦About meā€¦I
probably shouldnā€™tā€¦ā€

ā€œIf we canā€¦Iā€™ll go with youā€¦We wonā€™t intrude, just make sure theyā€™re
wellā€¦ā€ Dru, gentlyā€¦

ā€œThanksā€¦ā€ Caryn smiled backā€¦ ā€œAnd maybeā€¦If you guys stop by a clothes
store?...ā€ she glanced down at Spikeā€™s jacketā€¦ ā€œSize 10?...Brown or
maybe light green?...ā€

ā€œNot a problemā€¦ā€ Will smiledā€¦

ā€œDru?...Ifā€¦ā€ Caryn eyed herā€¦

ā€œIfā€¦Weā€™ll do our best to help you destroy Itā€¦ā€ Dru noddedā€¦

ā€œThank youā€¦ā€ Caryn turned and made for the school entranceā€¦

ā€œWell?...ā€ Dru looked at Willā€¦ ā€œShall we go find our nemesis and see
if she can still listen to reason?...ā€

Wan grinā€¦She shruggedā€¦ ā€œI knowā€¦Reason, from me?...ā€

ā€œSheā€™s seen stranger things, Iā€™d guessā€¦ā€ William returned the grinā€¦

***

Sound of running, pantingā€¦

ā€œCome on, come onā€¦ā€ a slender, light-haired fellow in suit called to
his companionsā€¦One, a heavy-set black-haired man in dark suitā€¦The
other, a red-headed woman, about forty in appearance, in casual
clothesā€¦ ā€œWeā€™ve gotta get outta hereā€¦ā€ the first speaker insistedā€¦

ā€œNoā€¦ā€ the heavy-set man shook his headā€¦ The red-head eyeing himā€¦

ā€œSheā€™ll kill usā€¦ā€

ā€œI donā€™t careā€¦ā€ the dark-haired one looked backā€¦ ā€œI donā€™t want toā€¦
Existā€¦Like thisā€¦Let her do itā€¦Iā€™d rather be dead than this wayā€¦ā€

ā€œYouā€™re rightā€¦ā€ the woman noddedā€¦ ā€œI wonā€™t hurt anyone elseā€¦Let her
kill meā€¦ā€

ā€œYouā€™re both crazyā€¦ā€ the first ā€˜manā€™ shook head at themā€¦ ā€œWeā€™re not
responsible for what happenedā€¦We didnā€™t ask for thisā€¦Iā€™m not gonna die
hereā€¦Iā€™m alive again and thatā€™s all that countsā€¦!ā€

ā€œThen go onā€¦ā€ the heavy-set one pointedā€¦ ā€œWeā€™ll keep her busy for a
minute or twoā€¦Goā€¦ā€

ā€œAnd leave my party?...ā€ a soft voice cooedā€¦ ā€œOh, donā€™t do thatā€¦ā€ a
figure stepped out of the shadows of the cemetery behind themā€¦

ā€œWeā€™re not what you thinkā€¦Slayerā€¦ā€ the slender one pleadedā€¦As Buffy
Summers, in rather elegant outfit, a light green gown and shawl,
snatched just a few minutes ago from her favorite department store
downtownā€¦With bright, warm smileā€¦Moved into the light of a streetlampā€¦

ā€œI thinkā€¦You just came outta that crypt, back thereā€¦ā€ she eyed himā€¦
ā€œAnd that puts you at the top of my party listā€¦ā€

ā€œYou canā€™tā€¦Weā€™re not responsibleā€¦!ā€

The heavy-set ā€˜manā€™ stepped forwardā€¦The woman beside himā€¦ ā€œRun!...ā€ he
called to the slender one as they moved to block the Slayer from himā€¦

ā€œNow thatā€™s loyaltyā€¦ā€ she cooedā€¦Noddingā€¦Taking careful aim, she hurled
her stake between them to hit their fleeing companion, instantly
dusting himā€¦

ā€œYou should have let him go, missā€¦ā€ the woman shook her headā€¦ ā€œHe was
telling the truthā€¦Somethingā€™s happenedā€¦Weā€™re notā€¦What we wereā€¦ā€

ā€œLike I give a fuckā€¦ā€ Buffy smiledā€¦ ā€œNowā€¦While I go dig Mr. Pointy out
of your friendā€™s ashesā€¦Why donā€™t you two get started making this fun
for me and runā€¦Different directions and Iā€™ll give you a whole sixty
secondsā€¦ā€
Well?...She eyed the twoā€¦

ā€œDo what you have to, missā€¦ā€ the ā€˜manā€™ shruggedā€¦ ā€œWe want to dieā€¦We
canā€™t bear this anymoreā€¦This nightmareā€¦ā€

ā€œNow thatā€™s a disappointmentā€¦ā€ she frownedā€¦Heading past them to reach
the pile of ash where Mr. Pointy layā€¦
ā€œIā€™ve been having one hell of a night what with all of you guys
stretching out before me, asking me to ā€˜end this tormentā€™ and all that
crappolaā€¦Whatā€™s up?...ā€ giving a single, sharp heave to pull the stake
out and turning to face themā€¦

ā€œGod knowsā€¦ā€ the woman shook her headā€¦ ā€œWe just suddenly found
ourselvesā€¦Backā€¦ā€

ā€œI was hopinā€™ from your palā€™s fine sense of self-preservation, you
guys might be a bit of a challengeā€¦ā€ she sighedā€¦ ā€œThis is gettingā€™
borinā€™, ya know?...ā€

ā€œWhatā€™s wrong with you, Slayerā€¦?ā€ the woman staredā€¦ ā€œYou sound like
oneā€¦Of usā€¦ā€

ā€œNow thatā€™s an insultā€¦ā€ Buffy waged a fingerā€¦ ā€œByeā€¦ā€ she dusted the
womanā€¦Cocking her head at the manā€¦

ā€œPity your girlfriend had a big mouthā€¦Sheā€™s rightā€¦I am feelinā€™ a
little off color tonightā€¦ā€ she eyed himā€¦Twisting a bright bracelet on
her wristā€¦Flitched from the jewelry counter of said department storeā€¦

ā€œYou any good in the sack, big boy?...ā€ she asked, smiling at him
againā€¦ ā€œThis virginā€™s lookinā€™ to lose it but I havenā€™t found a real
Unman in this burg tonightā€¦And as for the happy mealsā€¦Pllleaseā€¦ā€

ā€œWhat?...ā€

ā€œI asked if you could get it upā€¦For the sake of extendinā€™ your
existence another fifteen or soā€¦Maybe longer if I enjoy myselfā€¦ā€ she
smiledā€¦

ā€œYou canā€™t screw a vampireā€¦ā€ he said, rather shocked toneā€¦ ā€œYouā€™re the
Slayerā€¦What is wrong with you?...ā€

ā€œOk, now youā€™re wounding my fragile egoā€¦ā€ she glaredā€¦ ā€œThe Slayer saysā€¦
Get your pants offā€¦ā€

ā€œIā€™m a marriedā€¦Well, I wasā€¦Manā€¦I wonā€™t do thatā€¦ā€ he repliedā€¦ ā€œYoung
ladyā€¦You need helpā€¦ā€

ā€œReally?...Well, hereā€™s the dealā€¦Getā€¦Themā€¦Offā€¦ā€ she repeatedā€¦Eyeing
him up and downā€¦ ā€œOr I will make it hurtā€¦A lotā€¦ā€

ā€œSlayerā€¦Something terribleā€™s happened to youā€¦ā€ he shook his headā€¦
ā€œSome kind of Evil influenceā€¦You donā€™t want to do thisā€¦Itā€™s not
rightā€¦ā€

ā€œNow vamps are giving me moral lectures?...ā€ she sighedā€¦ ā€œOkā€¦Byeā€¦ā€ she
staked himā€¦

ā€œBet you regret it now, huh?...ā€ she sneered at the dust cloudā€¦

***

ā€œI think I know that girlā€¦ā€William pointed to the pharmacy down the
street from them, close upon the downtown section where most of
Sunnydaleā€™s adults seemed busy looting or fightingā€¦Like demons, acting
solely on instinct, Dru notedā€¦

ā€œThe red-headed one?...ā€ Dru lookedā€¦

ā€œSheā€™s a friend of the Slayerā€¦ā€ he stared where Willow in her usual
sedate outfit was coming out of the store, carrying a bagā€¦ ā€œShe may
knowā€¦Hey!...ā€ he calledā€¦ Ummnā€¦Rightā€¦ ā€œWillow?!...ā€

Willow turned, staringā€¦A frightened look as she recognized himā€¦

ā€œIs she?...ā€ he looked to Dru who noddedā€¦ ā€˜Fraid soā€¦

ā€œYou?...ā€ she gaspedā€¦ ā€œYou keep away from meā€¦!ā€ she pulled out a
crossā€¦

Hmmnā€¦Not that it would normally deter me that muchā€¦Butā€¦Nothingā€¦Will
thoughtā€¦

ā€œMissā€¦Willowā€¦I wonā€™t hurt youā€¦ā€ he pleadedā€¦ ā€œSomething dreadful has
happened andā€¦ā€

ā€œThe Slayerā€™s my best friendā€¦Sheā€™ll kill you if you hurt me!...ā€
Willow glaredā€¦ ā€œYou, tooā€¦ā€ she looked at Dru, who put up a handā€¦

ā€œWe mean you no harm, Willowā€¦ā€ Dru said, quietlyā€¦ ā€œPleaseā€¦William is
telling the truthā€¦You know something is wrong hereā€¦ā€

ā€œWhat?...ā€ Willow staredā€¦ ā€œGo to Hell!...Iā€™ll have the Slayer kill you
if you donā€™t get outta here!!...ā€ she backed awayā€¦

ā€œWillowā€¦ā€ Dru said, slowlyā€¦ ā€œItā€™s all rightā€¦You can trust meā€¦Look at
meā€¦You know I wonā€™t hurt youā€¦ā€

Willow staringā€¦

ā€œNo!...ā€ she cried, hurrying backā€¦

ā€œShe has powerā€¦ā€ Dru shook her headā€¦ ā€œSorryā€¦ā€

ā€œItā€™s fineā€¦Lets try the standard methodā€¦ā€ Will shruggedā€¦

They raced down after herā€¦

***

ā€œThereā€¦That car!...ā€ Dru pointedā€¦ ā€œWillow!...Wait!!...ā€ she calledā€¦

William hurrying along, squintingā€¦ Damnā€¦I have got to get new specsā€¦
Ah, thereā€¦

Willow fumbling with car keysā€¦Bit more difficult they not being her
ownā€¦She found the right key and unlockedā€¦

ā€œStop!...ā€ Dru had reached the door, grabbing her armā€¦Pulling out and
tossing the key back toward Williamā€¦

ā€œGet awayā€¦!!ā€ Willow tried to slip back across the seat to the other
doorā€¦ ā€œYou bitch from Hell!...ā€

ā€œNot tonightā€¦ā€ Dru saidā€¦Grabbing her armā€¦ ā€œListen, Willowā€¦Iā€™m not
going to harm you!!...Iā€¦ā€

She caught sight of the unconscious boy in the back of the carā€¦Dark-
hairedā€¦Willow catching her glanceā€¦

ā€œHeā€™s mine!!...ā€ Willow suddenly ragedā€¦ ā€œYou canā€™t have himā€¦Xander is
mine!!!...ā€

Dru stared at herā€¦

ā€œMine!!!...ā€ Willow repeatedā€¦As William reached themā€¦

ā€œThe poor girl is in a sad stateā€¦ā€ Dru shook her head at Willowā€¦ ā€œBut
I canā€™t seem to break throughā€¦She has some natural ability, powerā€¦ā€

ā€œThe Slayer will kill you when she knows youā€™re hereā€¦Youā€™re dead!!...ā€
Willow fumedā€¦ ā€œGet outta here!...ā€

ā€œWe need to find out what she knowsā€¦At least if she knows where Miss
Summers isā€¦ā€ William notedā€¦ Eyeing Druā€¦

ā€œI hate to do it, butā€¦ā€ he gave an apologetic lookā€¦

ā€œI donā€™t knowā€¦They must be very susceptible to demons nowā€¦It could
allow one to seize herā€¦ā€ Dru notedā€¦

Willow eyed themā€¦

ā€œDonā€™t hurt meā€¦Iā€™ll help youā€¦ā€ Willow saidā€¦ ā€œI can show you how to get
into her placeā€¦You can kill herā€¦Just donā€™t hurt meā€¦ā€

ā€œYou donā€™t know what youā€™re saying, missā€¦ā€ Dru sighedā€¦ ā€œPleaseā€¦Try to
calm downā€¦ā€

ā€œIā€™ll be as careful as I canā€¦Just enough to put her in light thrallā€¦ā€

ā€œAll rightā€¦Butā€¦ā€ Dru glanced nervously at Willowā€¦ ā€œStop if I sense
anything dangerousā€¦Threateningā€¦ā€

ā€œOf courseā€¦ā€ he noddedā€¦

ā€œBuffyā€¦ā€ Willow calledā€¦ ā€œBuffy!!...ā€ she screamedā€¦ ā€œGoddamn you, you
goy bitch!!...Where are you when I need you!!!...ā€

ā€œWillow, I wonā€™t hurt youā€¦ā€ Will sighed, climbing into the carā€¦ ā€œI
only want to help end thisā€¦ā€

ā€œXander!!...Help me!!...ā€ she screamedā€¦ ā€œNO!!!...ā€

Dru averting her eyesā€¦God, forgive usā€¦

***

The trio strolled carefully along what William identified as Main
Street, downtown Sunnydale, avoiding the horde of humans now
demolishing the major stores and restaurantsā€¦Cars whizzing by, most
loaded with plunderā€¦
Well, at least two didā€¦Willow rather stumbling along in light thrallā€¦

ā€œHe wouldnā€™t be with meā€¦ā€ Willow noted blankly to Williamā€™s question
about the unconscious Xanderā€¦

ā€œSo I drugged himā€¦But I needed moreā€¦And something to get him goinā€™ā€¦ā€

ā€œā€™Goinā€™?ā€™...ā€ Dru quoted, puzzledā€¦

ā€œYou donā€™t want to know, dear heartā€¦ā€ Will sighedā€¦

ā€œYou mean...?ā€

ā€œThis stuffā€™d make him stiff as a boardā€¦ā€ Willow notedā€¦Blanklyā€¦
Indicating the bag by her sideā€¦

ā€œWhile he was unconscious?...Thatā€™s dreadfulā€¦ā€ Dru staredā€¦

ā€œI want himā€¦Heā€™s mineā€¦ā€ Willow said, quietlyā€¦

ā€œDetermined girlā€¦ā€ Will notedā€¦ ā€œHeā€™s a lucky so-and-ā€¦ā€

Sorryā€¦He eyed Druā€™s frownā€¦

ā€œWillow?...Where is Miss Summers?...ā€ Dru askedā€¦

ā€œThat bitchā€¦She outta be here, protecting meā€¦ā€ Willow repliedā€¦

ā€œLet me tryā€¦ā€ Will suggestedā€¦ ā€œWillow, girlā€¦I want a straight answerā€¦
Whereā€™s the Slayerā€¦?ā€

ā€œOn Patrolā€¦ā€ Willow answeredā€¦

ā€œā€™Patrolā€™?...ā€ Dru staredā€¦

ā€œHunting our kindā€¦Protecting the cityā€¦ā€ William explainedā€¦ ā€œBut, I
wouldnā€™tā€™ve thoughtā€¦Willow, was sheā€¦Normal?...ā€

ā€œSheā€™d be here, trying to help her friendā€¦ā€ Dru shook her headā€¦

ā€œBitch took the dress I wanted when we went into the storeā€¦Wouldnā€™t
come with me to get Xanderā€¦ā€

ā€œDoesnā€™t sound like sheā€™s the same Slayer I metā€¦ā€ William eyed Druā€¦
ā€œYouā€™re right, sheā€™d never leave a friend actinā€™ like thisā€¦ā€

ā€œDoes she have anyoneā€¦Slayers have advisors, donā€™t theyā€¦?ā€ Dru, trying
to rememberā€¦

ā€œA Watcher, yesā€¦A scholar who knows the occult, a Mr. Giles in this
caseā€¦But heā€™s likely gone like the restā€¦ā€ Will frownedā€¦

ā€œThe poor man, the Beastā€¦In front of meā€¦ā€ Dru closed her eyesā€¦ ā€œAnd I
helpedā€¦Oh, those memories are coming back nowā€¦ā€ she shudderedā€¦

ā€œDruā€¦ā€ Will eyed herā€¦ ā€œI need youā€¦ā€

ā€œIā€™m all rightā€¦ā€ she shook her headā€¦ ā€œJust trying to rememberā€¦Yes, I
remember himā€¦Willow, do you know where Mr. Giles isā€¦Or might beā€¦ā€

ā€œGiles?...Goneā€¦LAā€¦To report to someoneā€¦ā€ Willow said, wanlyā€¦ ā€œHe
shouldā€™ve been here to help meā€¦Bastardā€¦ā€

ā€œLA?...ā€ William looked at Willowā€¦ ā€œYouā€™re sure?...ā€

ā€œYeahā€¦ā€

ā€œHe might be a help thenā€¦ā€ Dru notedā€¦ ā€œIf we could just reach himā€¦If
heā€™s outside the radius of influence and has knowledge of the occult,
he might be able to break this curse or spell or whatever it isā€¦ā€

William noddedā€¦Worth a tryā€¦

ā€œWillow?...Do you have a way to reach Mr. Giles?...A phone number?...ā€

ā€œBuffy doesā€¦ā€

Hmmnā€¦He eyed Druā€¦

Well, back to square oneā€¦

ā€œThere must be a place heā€™s stayingā€¦Something connected with his group
of Watchersā€¦ā€ Dru notedā€¦ ā€œTheyā€™re based back home, arenā€™t
they?...England?...ā€

ā€œYeahā€¦We could try giving them a callā€¦ā€

Hello, Watchers Council?ā€¦William the Bloody here, with soulā€¦Just
wanted to tell you your Slayerā€™s lost hers andā€¦Clickā€¦He thoughtā€¦

Still, worth a tryā€¦Theyā€™ve seen stranger, no doubtā€¦

ā€œPerhapsā€¦But if heā€™s English and an occult scholarā€¦ā€

ā€œAnd a high school librarianā€¦ā€ Will notedā€¦

Sounds like a back-up career for me, if I retain the soulā€¦He thought,
wrylyā€¦

ā€œThere canā€™t be too many places in Los Angeles where he and his people
would be meetingā€¦ā€ she suggestedā€¦

ā€œWell, it does give us two additional avenues to pursueā€¦Though our
immediate problem isā€¦ā€

ā€œRight hereā€¦ā€ Buffy said, broad smileā€¦Stake gripped

***

ā€œTales of Dā€™Hoffrynā€¦ā€

Disclaimer: Would Joss want his name associated with this? I think
not...But anyway all BTVS characters remain the property of Joss
Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and all other owner/creators of the Buffy the
Vampire Slayer series...Though his brother Mort gets nothing...

Archived at the Cicelyverse page of the Buffy Rebecca verse,
www.buffyrebecca.com...

First Evil, the Lord of all Things Vengeful tells a few tales of his
(well, his peopleā€™s) exploits with some old friendsā€¦

ā€œSunriseā€¦ā€

Part IIIā€¦

ā€œHeyā€¦My ole favorite vamp bud and his dead whoreā€¦And with my best
friend in their fiendish gripā€¦ā€ Buffy grinnedā€¦ ā€œSay, Willow, that
zombie look is youā€¦Didnā€™t you guys have time to finish her off?...I
can wait a few, if you wantā€¦ā€

Dru eyed Williamā€¦William, Druā€¦

ā€œNow donā€™t tell me you two are gonna do theā€¦ ā€˜oh, kill me now, end
this torment, Slayerā€™ crap now?...ā€ Buffy frownedā€¦ ā€œ ā€˜Cause I gotta
tell you Iā€™m getting awful boredā€¦And you wonā€™t like what I do when Iā€™m
boredā€¦ā€

ā€œCicelyā€¦ā€ Drusilla eyed her sternlyā€¦ ā€œYouā€™re neededā€¦ā€

Buffy stared at herā€¦Blinkingā€¦

ā€œListen to meā€¦William is hereā€¦ā€

ā€œWhat?...ā€ Buffy looked at her, then Willā€¦Shaking headā€¦

ā€œGeesh, sheā€™s crazier than usual, isnā€™t she?ā€¦ā€ she notedā€¦But seemed a
bit dazedā€¦

ā€œCicelyā€¦You must save himā€¦ā€ Dru, insistentlyā€¦Her stare boring deepā€¦
ā€œYouā€™ve waited this moment for a centuryā€¦He needs youā€¦ā€

ā€œWho?...ā€ Buffy swayed a bitā€¦

ā€œYouā€¦ā€ her face darkenedā€¦ ā€œYou whoreā€¦ā€ she staredā€¦

ā€œCicely?...ā€ William staredā€¦The clipped British accent most startling
of allā€¦

ā€œWilliamā€¦ā€ she looked at himā€¦ ā€œGoodā€¦You survivedā€¦ā€ she turned to Druā€¦

ā€œNow as for you, whoreā€¦We have business to settleā€¦ā€ she tensed, stake
quivering in her gripā€¦

ā€œNo, Cicelyā€¦ā€ William beganā€¦

ā€œQuietā€¦Iā€™ll deal with herā€¦ā€ Buffy said, coldlyā€¦ ā€œNowā€¦Drusillaā€¦Time for
you to learn what happens to vampiral whores who steal husbandsā€¦ā€

ā€œWhat?...ā€ William staredā€¦

ā€œMemoriesā€¦Not soulā€¦ā€ Dru looked at himā€¦

ā€œRanting as ever, eh?...ā€ Buffy sneeredā€¦ ā€œCome, lets do this in the
open airā€¦I wouldnā€™t want your ashes to have contact with my husbandā€¦
Weā€™ve had quite enough of thatā€¦ā€

ā€œHusbandā€¦?ā€

ā€œI said, be quiet, Williamā€¦Will you never listen?...ā€ Buffy, glaringā€¦
ā€œGo and wait for meā€¦Watch if you likeā€¦ā€

ā€œDru has a soul, Buffyā€¦Cicelyā€¦ā€

ā€œIs that so?...How quaintā€¦Just like Angelusā€¦ā€ she said, coldlyā€¦

ā€œAnd right now, you donā€™tā€¦ā€ he notedā€¦

ā€œWhat?...ā€ she staredā€¦

ā€œThough I do, so perhaps weā€™re no worse offā€¦ā€

ā€œWhat nonsense is this?...ā€ Buffy frownedā€¦

ā€œTell me who you areā€¦ā€ William askedā€¦

ā€œYou know very wellā€¦ā€ she repliedā€¦Folding armsā€¦ ā€œIs this to protect
your whore?...Have you grown fond of her over the years?...ā€

ā€œTell meā€¦ā€

ā€œCicely Anne Addams Walthropā€¦ā€ Buffy frownedā€¦ ā€œAnd what do you mean,
Iā€™ve no soulā€¦?ā€

ā€œCourtesy the demon lord Dā€™Hoffrynā€¦ā€ William repliedā€¦ ā€œBut the
memories youā€™ve just regained are courtesy Miss Drusilla Waverlyā€¦ā€

ā€œIndeedā€¦ā€ Buffy, coldlyā€¦Dru standing by Willowā€¦ ā€œWell, thank you Ms.
Waverlyā€¦I shall make your agonizing death a tad less so in gratitudeā€¦
William, go over there and wait or I shall be angry with youā€¦ā€

ā€œAnd what, loveā€¦Stake me?...ā€

ā€œYou belong to meā€¦Not herā€¦ā€ she said, icilyā€¦ ā€œAnd Iā€™ll see you dust
before Iā€™ll let her have you againā€¦ā€

ā€œIā€™m not here to take him from you, Cicelyā€¦ā€ Dru pleadedā€¦ ā€œIā€™m here to
helpā€¦Thereā€™s a terrible Evil afootā€¦You must sense somethingā€™s wrong
with youā€¦Your friendsā€¦These peopleā€¦ā€ she waved armsā€¦

ā€œIā€™ve waited a hundred years to tear you limb from limb, vampiressā€¦ā€
Buffy, grimlyā€¦ ā€œA little fairy tale about lost souls wonā€™t deter meā€¦
And if William has decided your body is preferable to mineā€¦ā€

ā€œHeā€™s loved you for over a centuryā€¦Believed in you and that youā€™d save
himā€¦You canā€™t betray him nowā€¦ā€

Buffy eyed herā€¦Reflected a momentā€¦Then leapt at her before William
could intervene, stake under her grabbed and held chinā€¦

ā€œKilling the whore who killed him is hardly betraying himā€¦ā€ she noted,
quietlyā€¦Forcing Druā€™s head back with the stakeā€¦ ā€œBeg for death, whoreā€¦
Beg Iā€™ll be mercifully quickā€¦ā€ she pulled Druā€™s head back moreā€¦ ā€œSay
it!...ā€

ā€œStop it, Cicely!...ā€ William grabbed at herā€¦

ā€œThisā€™ll hurt you too, liar!...Adulterer!!...ā€ Buffy waved the stake
at himā€¦ ā€œYou worthless, unfaithfulā€¦!!ā€ she ragedā€¦

Dru grabbed her arm, forcing it backā€¦Uhhā€¦The stake dropped with a
clatterā€¦

ā€œLet me go, you!!...ā€ Buffy criedā€¦

ā€œWeā€™re telling you the truthā€¦I could kill you nowā€¦ā€ Dru told her,
holding her armā€¦

ā€œWilliam!!...Help me!!!...ā€ Buffy looked to himā€¦

ā€œDru isnā€™t lying, Cicelyā€¦ā€ Will shook his headā€¦ She kicked back,
throwing Dru off balanceā€¦Racing back..

ā€œRight thenā€¦ā€ she eyed themā€¦ ā€œLet it be war on you both!!...ā€ she ran
off, disappearing into the crowds all along the streetā€¦

ā€œWellā€¦ā€ William eyed a shaken Drusilla, helping her upā€¦

ā€œThat went rather better than I expectedā€¦ā€

***

ā€œIā€™m sorryā€¦ā€ Dru sighedā€¦Carefully guiding Willow alongā€¦

ā€œNo needā€¦ā€ Will shruggedā€¦

ā€œI honestly thought I might reach herā€¦That Cicelyā€™s soul might be
better protectedā€¦ā€ sheepish lookā€¦

ā€œWellā€¦You did reach herā€¦In quite spectacular fashionā€¦ā€ he notedā€¦

ā€œAnd now it seems Iā€™ve a bitterly jealous spouse determined to have me
or dust meā€¦ā€

ā€œThat may be the best newsā€¦ā€ Dru reflectedā€¦ ā€œI meanā€¦ā€ she caught his
frownā€¦ ā€œShe didnā€™t re-engage and kill
youā€¦She could haveā€¦Sheā€™s taking her time, trying to capture youā€¦She
wonā€™t hurt youā€¦ā€

ā€œI wouldnā€™t count on that, loveā€¦ā€ he smiled wanlyā€¦ ā€œShe seemed quite
willing to sacrifice me on the altar of marital fidelityā€¦ā€

ā€œI donā€™t think soā€¦Though we shouldnā€™t press our luck, trueā€¦ā€ Dru
ponderedā€¦ ā€œI think itā€™s a signā€¦Cicely is nearā€¦
The soul I meanā€¦Trying to helpā€¦I know I sensed somethingā€¦Faintlyā€¦ā€

ā€œWell, kudos for a good try, girlā€¦ā€ he smiledā€¦ ā€œWhat about Red,
here?...ā€ he indicated Willowā€¦

ā€œI think we need her a bit longerā€¦ā€ Dru notedā€¦

***

ā€œYesā€¦This is Willow Rosenbergā€¦ā€ Willow said, a bit more energetically
than in her recent conversationsā€¦

ā€œA little more urgencyā€¦ā€ Dru hissedā€¦Willow staring at her as she spoke
into the phone in the bar theyā€™d temporarily holed up inā€¦

ā€œWillow Rosenbergā€¦ā€Willow repeatedā€¦ ā€œA friend of the Slayerā€™s in
Sunnydaleā€¦Pleaseā€¦I have to reach Mr. Giles, Buffyā€™s Watcherā€¦Can you
help me?...ā€

William scanning the entranceā€¦No sign of a rampaging Slayer spouse as
yetā€¦

Dru listening to the phoneā€™s receiver intently, standing just by
Willowā€™s earā€¦

ā€œHello?...Yesā€¦Yesā€¦Iā€™m Willow Rosenberg, Buffy Summersā€™ friendā€¦The
Slayerā€™s friendā€¦Please, I have to reach Mr. Rupert Gilesā€¦Thereā€™s been
a terrible disaster here in Sunnydaleā€¦ā€

William came overā€¦Dru looked at himā€¦Not yetā€¦

ā€œTell them their damned Councilā€™s about to be destroyedā€¦ā€ he suggested
to Willowā€¦Who looked at him a little blanklyā€¦

Yes, Williamā€¦she soundlessly murmuredā€¦Dru having cautioned her not to
speak to them aloudā€¦

ā€œSirā€¦Your damned Councilā€™s about to be destroyedā€¦Thank youā€¦ā€

ā€œThought that might speed things alongā€¦ā€ Will noted to Druā€¦

ā€œYes?...Helloā€¦Who?...Oh, helloā€¦ā€ Willow said, a bit flatly againā€¦

William eyed herā€¦Who?...His look clearā€¦

ā€œMr. Travers, who says heā€™s Chairman of the Watchersā€¦ā€ Willow hissedā€¦

Niceā€¦But we went past our floor, I thinkā€¦

ā€œYes, the situation here is very terrible, Mr. Traversā€¦Can I speak to
Rupert Giles?...ā€

Hmmn?...Willow looked at the phoneā€¦

ā€œWhat is it?...Iā€¦ā€

ā€œHere, loveā€¦ā€ William took the phoneā€¦ ā€œHello, Mr. Chairmanā€¦William
Soames Walthrop hereā€¦Nice to finally
speak to you after all these yearsā€¦Listen, the demon lord Dā€™Hoffrynā€™s
gone and put a soul removal/soul curse spell or something on Sunnydaleā€¦
Yes, involving Miss Summers and then someā€¦Yes, this is the William
youā€™re thinking ofā€¦But the demon has vacated for a day or soā€¦Look,
Dā€™Hoffrynā€™s minion told me that Humanity as well as Miss Summers was
in peril if this thingā€¦Whatever it isā€¦Wasnā€™t stopped or defeated
before twenty-four hours was upā€¦Yesā€¦Quite specific about itā€¦We could
use some help here, especially if you lot care about the fate of
Humanityā€¦Well, it seems her whole lot and every human here has gone
soullessā€¦But every vamp seems to have a soulā€¦Yes, that includes
Drusillaā€¦No, Miss Rosenbergā€™s gone and lost hers as wellā€¦Sheā€™s under
my thrall, for which I deeply apologize but there was no other way to
contact youā€¦Is there any chance of speaking to Mr. Giles?...Goodā€¦Thank
youā€¦ā€

Direct approachā€¦Usually bestā€¦He noted to Dru and the blank-eyed
Willowā€¦

ā€œā€¦Hello Mr. Giles?...Yes, this is who Mr. Travers told youā€¦No, Spike
is off on vacation, this is the soul of William Soames Walthropā€¦
Cicelyā€™s husbandā€¦ā€

Hmmnā€¦He smiled at Druā€¦ā€I think I heard a pin drop on that sideā€¦ā€

ā€œOh, yesā€¦Cicely Addamsā€¦Walthropā€¦Your great nineteenth century
Slayer?...Now back in the form of your own Miss Summersā€¦No, not
possession, Mr. Gilesā€¦As I suspect you knowā€¦Sheā€™s a reincarnateā€¦But
currently, soulless, like everyone else human in this benighted townā€¦
Mr. Gilesā€¦Mrā€¦Gilesā€¦If Dā€™Hoffrynā€™s minion, a Miss Jenkins, wasnā€™t lying
we have only twenty-twoā€¦ā€ he eyed a clock over the barā€¦ ā€œā€¦twenty-oneā€¦
hours to set this rightā€¦Wellā€¦I have Drusilla Waverlyā€¦And a very nice
young ex-kindergarten teacher whoā€™s watching the kiddies of the townā€¦
There may be other souled vampires willing to helpā€¦Thatā€™s about itā€¦No,
your Miss Rosenberg is like the othersā€¦I had to put her in thrall to
get her to call youā€¦Mr. Gilesā€¦I am sure you know more about Cicely and
me than you are letting on but as to my lying about ā€˜everythingā€™ Iā€™m
sure you lot have the power to check out my story pretty quicklyā€¦If
nothing else, send someone into Sunnydale to observeā€¦Believe me,
theyā€™ll find proof very quicklyā€¦No, Buffy is soulless not transformedā€¦
Certainlyā€¦ā€

He pulled the phone awayā€¦ ā€œMiss Rosenberg?...Would you speak to Mr.
Giles?...Just answer his questions truthfully, please?...ā€ he held the
phone to Willowā€™s ear and mouthā€¦

ā€œYes?...Yes, Giles, Spike has me in thrallā€¦I donā€™t knowā€¦They say I
have no soul nowā€¦I dunnoā€¦I feel different, I guessā€¦No, before Spike
put me in thrallā€¦Yeah, everyoneā€™s actinā€™ weirdā€¦Yeah, Buffy, tooā€¦Sheā€™s
speaking with a Brit accent and seems kinda nastyā€¦Xander?...I drugged
him and put him in a car I stoleā€¦So I could have him, he belongs to
me, you knowā€¦No, I did that before Spike put me in thrallā€¦I guess that
could mean heā€™s tellinā€™ the truth about souls goinā€™ bye-byeā€¦Okā€¦ā€

ā€œHe wants to talk to youā€¦ā€ Willow looked over to Williamā€¦

ā€œSoā€¦Any suggestions or concrete help you can offer would be
appreciated, Mr. Gilesā€¦ā€ William notedā€¦ ā€œEspecially as Buffy seems to
have recovered some ole memories of us and wants me to resume my
position as her husbandā€¦ā€ he eyed Dru and Willowā€¦

Ha, hahā€¦Willow gave a slight laughā€¦

ā€œYeah, that did get himā€¦ā€Will noddedā€¦Dru giving reproving lookā€¦

ā€œHow soon?...All right, grantedā€¦ā€ he shruggedā€¦

ā€œHe doesnā€™t trust usā€¦ā€ Dru offeredā€¦He noddingā€¦

ā€œBut help is coming, rightā€¦?ā€ he asked the phoneā€¦ ā€œGoodā€¦Weā€™ll try to
keep Buffy and the good people of the town alive until your Council
reaches a decisionā€¦Try to make it within the next twenty hours, will
you?...Good byeā€¦ā€

Dru eyeing himā€¦

ā€œThe Council will consider the matter and if our story is verified
they will take appropriate actionā€¦ā€ he looked at herā€¦ ā€œWhich could
mean anything from theyā€™ll do nothing, to for the greater good
Sunnydale will be nukedā€¦Weā€™ll
seeā€¦ā€

She sighedā€¦ ā€œAt least they knowā€¦And itā€™s only natural they wouldnā€™t
place faith in us immediatelyā€¦ā€

ā€œLets hope in the States they move a bit faster than back homeā€¦ā€ he
notedā€¦ ā€œLast time I contacted them as Spike to warn them a Slayer was
likely to dieā€¦Just before I killed that poor Slayer a few years agoā€¦
Two weeks wasnā€™t enough time to get them movingā€¦ā€

ā€œIt always wondered why you calledā€¦ā€ Dru smiled faintlyā€¦ ā€œYouā€¦Spike
said it was to make it a challengeā€¦
Butā€¦ā€

ā€œThatā€™s sweet of you, Druā€¦Thanksā€¦ā€ he smiled backā€¦

ā€œBuffy wonā€™t like thisā€¦ā€ Willow notedā€¦Shaking headā€¦

ā€œNowā€¦Weā€™re just friends, Miss Rosenbergā€¦ā€ Dru, gravelyā€¦

Uh-ohā€¦She looked roundā€¦

ā€œSomeoneā€¦Fairly soulless but oddā€¦Something is stillā€¦Anyway, humanā€¦I
thinkā€¦ā€ she hissedā€¦

ā€œBuffy?...ā€

ā€œCanā€™t tell for sureā€¦But I donā€™t think soā€¦Even Cicely has no trace of
soul nowā€¦ā€

He looked aboutā€¦

No, sheā€™d make a big entranceā€¦Soulless or noā€¦Cicely or noā€¦She never
changes on thatā€¦

A crash of boxesā€¦Even Willow jumping a bitā€¦

He was on the fellow in an instant, a small man, weasily in aspect in
nondescript clothesā€¦ ā€œAll right, youā€¦ā€

ā€œLemme go!!...ā€ the little man in his gripā€¦Squirmingā€¦Demandedā€¦ ā€œThis
is my place!...What are you guys doinā€™ in here?...Jesusā€¦ā€ he staredā€¦
ā€œYouā€¦William theā€¦ā€

ā€œNice to know one has a repā€¦ā€ William noddedā€¦

ā€œNoā€¦Donā€™t kill meā€¦Iā€™m part demonā€¦I can help youā€¦ā€ the little man
whimpered, eyeing William, then Drusillaā€¦

ā€œWe wonā€™t hurt youā€¦ā€ Dru said, soothinglyā€¦Coming over by Willā€¦

ā€œNo?...ā€

ā€œProbably notā€¦ā€ William correctedā€¦ ā€œIf you give straight answersā€¦Who
are you?...And what are you doing here?...ā€

ā€œWillieā€¦ā€ the man(?) answeredā€¦ ā€œLike I said, I own this placeā€¦ā€

ā€œWeā€™re very sorry to trepass, thenā€¦ā€ Dru said, kindlyā€¦ ā€œIt was
unavoidableā€¦ā€

Hmmnā€¦

She eyed Willā€¦ ā€œHeā€™s not lyingā€¦Heā€™s part demonā€¦And somehow has keptā€¦
What little soul, a very weak oneā€¦He hadā€¦ā€

ā€œNeither fish nor fowl, thatā€™s meā€¦ā€ Willie shruggedā€¦

***

ā€œTales of Dā€™Hoffrynā€¦ā€

Disclaimer: Would Joss want his name associated with this? I think
not...But anyway all BTVS characters remain the property of Joss
Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and all other owner/creators of the Buffy the
Vampire Slayer series...Though his brother Mort gets nothing...

Archived at the Cicelyverse page of the Buffy Rebecca verse,
www.buffyrebecca.com...
First Evil, the Lord of all Things Vengeful tells a few tales of his
(well, his peopleā€™s) exploits with some old friendsā€¦

Part IIā€¦contā€¦

Confinement chamber, Hellā€¦

ā€˜Buffyā€™ frowned at her storyteller and supposed ā€˜sister from a
parallel universeā€™, ā€˜Cicelyā€™ā€¦
ā€œSo I lost my soul and regained my Cicely memoriesā€¦And now Iā€™ve turned
against William, out of soulless jealousy?...ā€

ā€œViciously ironic, isnā€™t it?...ā€ ā€˜Cicelyā€™ beamedā€¦ ā€˜Buffyā€™ eyeing her
narrowlyā€¦
Thoughā€¦It is terribleā€¦Poor Williamā€¦

Dear Bā€™aalā€¦ ā€˜sheā€™ blinkedā€¦That worthless Mearsā€¦He must be doing thisā€¦

ā€œWhatā€™s happening to me?...ā€ ā€˜Cicelyā€™ hissed to a nearby Buffy minionā€¦
This one in nurseā€™s uniformā€¦

ā€œCicely?...Arenā€™t you feeling well?...ā€ the ā€˜nurse Buffyā€™ eyed herā€¦
ā€œShould I get you somethingā€¦?ā€

ā€œYou know damned well what I meanā€¦ā€ ā€˜Cicelyā€™ ragedā€¦But struggled to
keep ā€˜herā€™ voice downā€¦

ā€œIā€™m Dā€™Hoffryn, lord of all things vengefulā€¦ā€

ā€œOf course you areā€¦ā€ the imp in Buffy form nodded, soothinglyā€¦ ā€œBut
with a little rest, youā€™ll be fineā€¦Cicelyā€¦ā€

ā€œStop that!...ā€ ā€˜sheā€™ shoutedā€¦

ā€œWhatā€™s wrong?...ā€ ā€˜Buffyā€™ hurried overā€¦ ā€œAm I needed?...ā€

ā€œNo, noā€¦ā€ ā€˜nurse Buffyā€™ notedā€¦ ā€œCicely here is just a bit upsetā€¦The
story sheā€™s telling being so sadā€¦ā€

ā€œIt sure isā€¦ā€ ā€˜Buffyā€™ frownedā€¦ ā€œAnd it better not end with me breaking
Williamā€™s heartā€¦Or elseā€¦ā€ she eyed ā€˜Cicelyā€™ā€¦

ā€œBetter get back to your story, sweetieā€¦ā€ ā€˜nurse Buffyā€™ noddedā€¦Patting
the somewhat dazed Cicelyā€¦er ā€˜Cicelyā€™ā€¦ ā€œIā€™m sure it has a happy ending
for you and Williamā€¦ā€

Yeahā€¦

Wait, noā€¦All rightā€¦All right, D-Hā€¦Finish the taleā€¦And then get the
here out of hereā€¦Back to good ole vengeance and imposition of
sufferingā€¦

ā€œOkā€¦So they had found the part demon, Willieā€¦ā€

Monitor console in CHQ, Hellā€¦Angelus and Mears chucklingā€¦

ā€œPoor thingā€¦Itā€™s sad to watchā€¦But I always did think D-H was unusually
ā€˜closeā€™ to his girlsā€¦ā€ Warren, mock-solemnā€¦Then roaringā€¦Angelus
joining inā€¦

ā€œGod, Mearsā€¦I have to admitā€¦ā€ Angelus leaned back in his chairā€¦ ā€œThis
is even worse than what I did to Drusillaā€¦ā€

***
ā€œSunriseā€¦ā€

Part IVā€¦

ā€œAnd you felt nothingā€¦No different when the others changed so
suddenly?...ā€ Dru askedā€¦She, with Willow beside her, seated at one of
the bar tablesā€¦

ā€œSame as alwaysā€¦ā€ Willie shruggedā€¦ ā€œI figured at first it was somebody
gunning for those folks with targeted magics but then I saw what was
going on all over town and I came back here to hole up till things
settled down or at least I could find a way outta townā€¦ā€

He eyed themā€¦Dru, pale and lovely, looking concerned, with rather less
of that psycho waif look he remembered from one time when heā€™d seen
her strolling aboutā€¦That William, standing, frowning at himā€¦Still
pretty menacing in his way, even souled and even in that small packageā€¦
The red-headed kid, the Slayerā€™s pal, looking pretty much outta itā€¦
Bit, he notedā€¦

Not likely to go over well with the Slayerā€¦Even with soulā€¦

ā€œSo all the vamps in town have souls nowā€¦And everyone elseā€¦Human, that
isā€¦No soul?...ā€ he askedā€¦

ā€œIt seems soā€¦ā€ Dru noddedā€¦ ā€œThough of course we canā€™t be sure everyone
is affectedā€¦Especially given youā€¦ā€

ā€œNow thereā€™s a howlā€¦ā€ Willie grinnedā€¦Ummnā€¦He caught sight of Druā€™s
stern lookā€¦Williamā€™s deepening frownā€¦

Uhā€¦Wellā€¦ ā€œOf course, itā€™s terrible, tooā€¦Just, ya knowā€¦Ironic and all
that jazzā€¦ā€

ā€œAnd youā€™ll find out how ironic if the Slayer catches us hereā€¦Minus
that usual compassion and regard for human or semi-human lifeā€¦ā€ Will
notedā€¦

ā€œThat would be badā€¦ā€ Willie nodded, pensive nowā€¦ ā€œI met a turned
Slayer onceā€¦She was not funā€¦ā€

ā€œBut it must be importantā€¦A clue to the cause of all thisā€¦ā€ Dru
suggestedā€¦ ā€œThat heā€¦You, sirā€¦ā€ she nodded to Willieā€¦ ā€œAre still souledā€¦
Something about your natureā€¦ā€

ā€œThe demon part somehow protecting himā€¦ā€ William eyed himā€¦

ā€œCanā€™t help you thereā€¦ā€ Willie shruggedā€¦ ā€œIā€™m no big expert on the
subjectā€¦ā€

ā€œWhat about your father, the demonā€¦?ā€ Dru askedā€¦ ā€œWas he unusual in
any wayā€¦The species?...ā€

ā€œMorayā€¦Nothing specialā€¦They get on ok with humans, not violent,
generallyā€¦I dunnoā€¦ā€ Willie looked at themā€¦ ā€œLook, if the Slayerā€™s
gunning for you, youā€™d best get outta townā€¦Sheā€™s sure to find you here
sooner or laterā€¦ā€

ā€œWe can hopeā€¦ā€ Dru noddedā€¦

ā€œWhat?...ā€ Willie saidā€¦Nervous eyes dartingā€¦Hopes of offering to
provide ā€˜helpā€™ in exchange for hitching a ride under the protection of
two famously mighty otherworlders fading fastā€¦

ā€œWeā€™re trying to help herā€¦Not run from herā€¦ā€ Dru explainedā€¦ ā€œBut to
help her we need something, anything, that could counter whatever
Dā€™Hoffrynā€™s doneā€¦ā€

A caravan, actually, consideringā€¦Well, doesnā€™t seem likely, given the
sad lack of self-preservation instinct hereā€¦Willie sighedā€¦

Waitā€¦

ā€œD-H?...The revenge king?...ā€ Willie looked at themā€¦ ā€œOne of his is
here?...ā€

ā€œAnyaā€¦ā€ William notedā€¦ ā€œWho seems the prime moverā€¦At least the prime
instrumentā€¦ā€

ā€œAnyanka?...Jesusā€¦ā€ Willie sighedā€¦ ā€œSheā€™s bad newsā€¦One of his bestā€¦ā€

William eyed Dru who noddedā€¦

Looks like we came to the right placeā€¦If utterly by chanceā€¦

Surely God is guiding us in some wayā€¦

Willie rather convinced otherwiseā€¦Anxious now to find his own path...

After all, wouldnā€™t want to get in the way of their effortsā€¦Just be on
his own merryā€¦

ā€œWhat can you tell us about herā€¦?ā€ Dru asked, kind toneā€¦ ā€œIs there any
way to break her spells that you know ofā€¦?ā€

ā€œWillie?...The lady asked a questionā€¦ā€ William frowned at the little
half-man as he glanced roundā€¦Clearly seeking the nearest exit routeā€¦

ā€œThereā€™s always a wayā€¦ā€ Willie noted, shruggingā€¦ ā€œBut usually it
involves years of studyā€¦Careful researchā€¦And a Slayer backing you up
donā€™t hurtā€¦ā€

ā€œNot enough timeā€¦We need to cut corners on the research fast track now
and worry about long-term laterā€¦Weā€™ll have to make due with Dru and me
instead of a Slayer for the momentā€¦No offense dear heartā€¦ā€

ā€œNot at allā€¦ā€ Dru shook headā€¦ ā€œOf course the Council could provide
that research if they really are comingā€¦ā€

ā€œThe Council of Watchers?...ā€ Willie eyed themā€¦ ā€œYouā€™re in touch with
them?...You two?...ā€

ā€œYeah, welcome to bizarro-worldā€¦ā€ Will noddedā€¦ ā€œBut given their idea
of rapid responseā€¦And their inclination to stake, crossbow, burn, or
set a vampire (really, no offense, loveā€¦patting Druā€™s handā€¦though
plenty to themā€¦) on one first and confirm their good intentions laterā€¦
I wouldnā€™t exactly consider them the cavalry on the wayā€¦ā€

ā€œBut getting back to focusā€¦?ā€ he eyed Willie sternlyā€¦ ā€œIf you want to
get out of this aliveā€¦And remarkably, no personal threat intendedā€¦If
you have any ideas or first- or second-hand infoā€¦Speak upā€¦ā€

Ummnā€¦

ā€œWe donā€™t mean to press, but anything you know could helpā€¦ā€ Dru,
gentlyā€¦ ā€œAnd William is rightā€¦We arenā€™t any threat to you but you are
in danger hereā€¦ā€

ā€œEspecially should we have to battle an angry, soulless Slayer hereā€¦ā€
William eyed himā€¦ ā€œThe property damage alone is sure to beā€¦ā€

ā€œThe girlā€¦The demonā€¦ā€ Willie, hastilyā€¦ ā€œThey get their power from himā€¦
Dā€™Hoffrynā€¦Itā€™s channeled through a talismanā€¦ā€

Hmmnā€¦More than I had a right to expectā€¦Will eyed himā€¦

ā€œAnd the talisman?...ā€

ā€œCould be anythingā€¦A braceletā€¦A necklaceā€¦But sheā€™ll fuss with itā€¦Never
let it aloneā€¦Thatā€™ll be the giveawayā€¦ā€

ā€œAnd summoning?...ā€

ā€œWho knowsā€¦?ā€ Willie shook his headā€¦ ā€œD-Hā€™s got his own systemā€¦
Designed to confuseā€¦Thatā€™s all I knowā€¦
Honestā€¦ā€

ā€œThatā€™s very helpful, sirā€¦ā€ Dru beamedā€¦ ā€œThank youā€¦If youā€™d like to
try and make your escape now?...I know youā€™re very anxious to goā€¦ā€

William frownedā€¦Not all that helpful, girlā€¦She shruggedā€¦ ā€œThe poor
manā€™s told us what he knowsā€¦No need to put him at riskā€¦ā€

Will sighedā€¦ ā€œI supposeā€¦ā€ he looked at Willie who was a bit nonplussedā€¦
Go?... ā€œAll rightā€¦Well, good luck, mateā€¦ā€ he offered a handā€¦Willie,
now increasingly hesitantā€¦Go?...Out there?...Took it gingerlyā€¦ ā€œThanksā€¦
Make for the south and keep from downtownā€¦Wellā€¦Guess I mean get out of
downtown as quick as you canā€¦ā€

Uhā€¦Willie looked over to the doorā€¦

Rampaging soulless humansā€¦Brutally murderous Slayerā€¦

And now, likely a pissed-off vengeance demon and her boss gunning for
him out thereā€¦

Andā€¦The othersā€¦

ā€œUhā€¦Iā€™m fine here, for nowā€¦ā€

ā€œOf courseā€¦ā€ Dru noddedā€¦ ā€œThis is your place, after allā€¦ā€

ā€œWell, if youā€™ll be stayingā€¦Howā€™s about a drink?...ā€ William
suggestedā€¦ ā€œI actually having a bit of coin of the realm about my
personā€¦ā€ he pulled out the change from Anyaā€™s twentyā€¦

ā€œAnd something for Miss Rosenbergā€¦?ā€ Dru askedā€¦ ā€œShe must be thirstyā€¦
Willow, would you like something to drinkā€¦?ā€

ā€œYeahā€¦ā€ Willow nodded, vaguelyā€¦ ā€œBut not bloodā€¦ā€

ā€œOf course notā€¦Water?...A soda?...ā€

ā€œGinger ale?...ā€

ā€œCominā€™ right upā€¦ā€ Willie, rather glad to have business to focus onā€¦

ā€œAnd a whiskeyā€¦Doubleā€¦ā€ William addedā€¦

ā€œWillā€¦We need to decide what to do nowā€¦ā€ Dru insistedā€¦ ā€œWe canā€™t sit
here, waitingā€¦People are in dangerā€¦And what if some leave Sunnydale in
their current condition?...We canā€™t be sure theyā€™d revert once out of
townā€¦ā€

ā€œLoveā€¦Iā€™d like to helpā€¦But thereā€™s only usā€¦ā€ he notedā€¦ ā€œAnd my dear
spouse seems ready to institute extreme divorce proceedings if she
spots usā€¦ā€

ā€œNot only usā€¦ā€ Dru repliedā€¦Eyeing Willieā€¦

ā€œHim?...ā€ William staredā€¦

ā€œWillie?...ā€ Dru, gentlyā€¦

He blinkedā€¦Ummnā€¦

ā€œPleaseā€¦Introduce us to your friendsā€¦ā€ she said, quietlyā€¦ ā€œIt was very
brave of you to protect themā€¦ā€

ā€œWhat?...ā€ William staredā€¦

ā€œTheyā€™re rather well-hiddenā€¦A spell barrier?...ā€ she askedā€¦ ā€œIt took a
moment, even for meā€¦But I can sense a faint trace about hereā€¦ā€

ā€œTheyā€™re not harming anyoneā€¦ā€ Willie insistedā€¦ ā€œI wouldnā€™tā€™ve done it
butā€¦They got souls nowā€¦And the Slayer wasnā€™t listeninā€™ā€¦Just staking
left and rightā€¦ā€

ā€œAnd you took them inā€¦ā€ Dru noddedā€¦ ā€œWillie, you are a good manā€¦ā€ she
smiledā€¦

ā€œHad to do somethinā€™ā€¦ā€ he shruggedā€¦ ā€œTheyā€™re in the cellarā€¦Itā€™s where
I keep contrabandā€¦Just a little stuff that wouldnā€™t be kosher, you
knowā€¦Nothing dangerousā€¦Just special foods and things some of the folks
likeā€¦Shielded so as not to give the stuff awayā€¦Just a little ā€˜black
marketā€™ stuffā€¦Nothing badā€¦And only for the ones who donā€™t make
troubleā€¦ā€

ā€œOf courseā€¦ā€ she agreed, gentlyā€¦ ā€œMay we meet themā€¦?ā€

ā€œWho?...ā€ William looked roundā€¦

Willie sighed, then went over to a corner, lifting a rugā€¦Then the trap
door the rug concealedā€¦

ā€œCome on up, folksā€¦Itā€™s okā€¦ā€ he calledā€¦

***

ā€œPeople!...People!!...ā€ Dru called, looking out over the groupā€¦ The
milling crowd of nearly seventy vampires and vampiresses slowly
heeding herā€¦ ā€œPleaseā€¦ā€

ā€œCome on, you lot!...ā€ William called, standing on a table next to the
one where Willow sat, sipping her ginger ale quietlyā€¦

ā€œHey!...ā€ Willie banged a glass on barā€¦All staringā€¦ ā€œListen up!...ā€

ā€œRightā€¦ā€ Dru smiled at himā€¦ ā€œPeopleā€¦I know youā€™re all confusedā€¦This
has been a terrifying, if unique experienceā€¦ā€

ā€œDrusilla!...ā€ one teenaged-appearing female gaspedā€¦ ā€œLemme out of
hereā€¦Sheā€™ll kill us all!!...ā€

Some sounds of panicā€¦Anxious glancesā€¦

Ohā€¦Myā€¦Dru sighedā€¦

ā€œQuiet!!...ā€ Willie banged again, stern lookā€¦ ā€œSheā€™s just like youā€¦
Souledā€¦Now listen up!!...ā€

ā€œYes, Mr. Willie is quite rightā€¦ā€ Dru resumedā€¦ ā€œWilliam and I are
souled like you...ā€

ā€œCan we go home now?...ā€ one tall male spoke upā€¦ ā€œMy wife is stillā€¦ā€

ā€œYou canā€™t go home, Albertā€¦ā€ a blonde female frowned at himā€¦ ā€œAnd your
wife must be dead or one of usā€¦I
transformed you sixty years agoā€¦ā€

ā€œYouā€¦Bitchā€¦ā€ Albert glaredā€¦ ā€œYou killed me!...ā€

ā€œSorryā€¦ā€ she shruggedā€¦ ā€œSomeone killed me, too, you knowā€¦And you were
looking for some action that night when you came up to meā€¦ā€

Several angry and accusatory conversations now springing upā€¦

ā€œPeople!...ā€ Dru criedā€¦

More bitter wordsā€¦ ā€œYou made me!!...ā€ ā€œYou killed my family!!!...Well,
I wouldnā€™t have helped if you hadnā€™tā€¦ā€ ā€œI didnā€™t wanna eat my
dog!!!...ā€ ā€œI never said I wanted to sleep with you, I just wanted to
live forever!!...ā€ ā€œItā€™s over, Henryā€¦I want my own crypt!...ā€

She went to Willieā€™s bar counterā€¦Please?...He handed the heavy glassā€¦

Slam!!... ā€œHey!!!!...ā€ she holleredā€¦A window shattering in the frontā€¦

William staringā€¦The group staringā€¦

ā€œFriendsā€¦This is no time to blame each otherā€¦God knows we all feel
ourselves guilty in some wayā€¦But we are also all victimsā€¦ā€ she notedā€¦

ā€œYeah!...And I want compensation!!...ā€ a heavy-set, middle-aged-
looking ā€˜womanā€™ in frightful print blouse respondedā€¦ ā€œI was just
passing through six months ago and one of you kills meā€¦!ā€

ā€œAnd you killed me and my little girlā€¦!!ā€ a slender, brown-haired
ā€˜womanā€™ in gown fumed backā€¦ā€œā€¦and you made me have sex with you!!...ā€

ā€œThat wasnā€™t meā€¦Iā€™m a God-fearing Christianā€¦ā€ the heavy woman glared
backā€¦ ā€œIā€™d neverā€¦ā€

ā€œYeah, rightā€¦ā€ the young ā€˜womanā€™ replied, bitterā€¦ ā€œCanā€™t hide it from
your demon, you rapist!ā€¦And Iā€™m through calling you, mistress,
lady!!...ā€

ā€œCan I call my mom?...ā€ a young male asked, raising handā€¦ ā€œI think I
only died a week agoā€¦ā€

ā€œEnough!!...ā€ Dru criedā€¦ ā€œAnd weā€™ll see, young manā€¦We donā€™t want to
upset your family, you knowā€¦ā€

ā€œPlease, friendsā€¦ā€ she looked out over the groupā€¦ ā€œGod has given us a
chance to do good this nightā€¦ā€

ā€œI donā€™t believe in Godā€¦ā€ one male spoke upā€¦

ā€œFineā€¦Fate, thenā€¦ā€ she waved him offā€¦No time for a religion debateā€¦
ā€œYou all know the humans of Sunnydale are afflictedā€¦Soullessā€¦They need
our help!...ā€

ā€œWhatā€™s the girlā€¦The Slayerā€¦For?...ā€ the heavy-set ā€˜womanā€™ fumedā€¦ ā€œLet
her take care of themā€¦Instead of coming after usā€¦ā€

ā€œSheā€™s for getting rid of usā€¦ā€ Albert frownedā€¦ ā€œWhatdaya mean, not
come after us?...Weā€™ve all been mad killers until tonightā€¦ā€

ā€œNot meā€¦ā€ the large ā€˜womanā€™ insistedā€¦ ā€œIā€™m of the blessed electā€¦It was
Satan doing the killingā€¦ā€

ā€œā€¦And the raping?...ā€ her former companion glaredā€¦

ā€œThe point is, people!...People!!...ā€ Dru calledā€¦ ā€œWe are neededā€¦Our
human brothers and sistersā€¦Our descendants and familiesā€¦Need us
tonight!...We must act to help them while they canā€™t help
themselves!!...ā€

ā€œNo one ever helped meā€¦ā€ the blonde ā€˜womanā€™ who argued with Albert
insistedā€¦ ā€œNot even the Slayerā€¦I was left
like this for eighty yearsā€¦Why should I stick my neck out to help a
few mortals?...ā€

ā€œAny one who doesnā€™t want to help is welcome to stay hereā€¦ā€ Dru notedā€¦
ā€œBut those who want to prove they are still human, insideā€¦Can help to
save Humanity tonightā€¦Great Evil threatens the world and we have a
chance here to fight backā€¦To stop being victims, for onceā€¦ā€

ā€œThatā€™s the Slayerā€™s jobā€¦ā€ the large ā€˜womanā€™ fumedā€¦ ā€œIā€™m a victimā€¦I
donā€™t have to do anything for anybodyā€¦ā€

ā€œThe Slayer is affected, she told you lot thatā€¦ā€ William glaredā€¦
ā€œWeā€™re it, tonight folksā€¦The last lineā€¦ā€

ā€œWhat can we do?...ā€ Albert shook his headā€¦Several agreeingā€¦ ā€œWeā€™re
just a bunch of vamps with soulsā€¦There are thousands of crazy people
out thereā€¦And a Slayer who donā€™t take souls for an excuseā€¦ā€

ā€œWe have unique abilitiesā€¦We can influence human mindsā€¦ā€ Dru notedā€¦
ā€œAnd the humans are running on instinctā€¦They will respond easily to
base impulsesā€¦Fear, rewardā€¦We can use that to herd them and keep them
safe through the nightā€¦Prevent more deathsā€¦ā€

ā€œAnd what about us?!...ā€ another woman, a tall black woman of about
forty, spoke upā€¦ ā€œWhat happens to us now?...Do we try to live like
this?...Burning or hiding by dayā€¦Drinking bloodā€¦And from where and
what?...I canā€™t live like thisā€¦Let the Slayer or the sun take meā€¦ā€

Several cries in agreementā€¦

ā€œIr wonā€™t lastā€¦ā€ Dru sighedā€¦ ā€œBy tomorrow night weā€™ll be backā€¦To what
we wereā€¦ā€ she eyed the suddenly still groupā€¦ ā€œI know itā€™s horrible,
but thatā€™s the truth of itā€¦We only have about nineteen hours with our
soulsā€¦ā€

ā€œAnd you know thatā€¦How?...ā€ the large ā€˜womanā€™ eyed herā€¦

ā€œBecause Iā€™m the causeā€¦ā€ William said, quietlyā€¦Firmlyā€¦ ā€œNot
intentionally but there it isā€¦ā€

ā€œYou?...ā€ several staredā€¦Others looking at each otherā€¦

Uh-ohā€¦Willie slowly slid down behind the bar counterā€¦

William tensingā€¦Might perhaps have been a bit too honest on this oneā€¦

Albert started clappingā€¦The blondeā€¦Others joining inā€¦

Dru staredā€¦More joining in, some with tears runningā€¦

ā€œThank you!!...ā€ shoutsā€¦ ā€œWilliam!!...ā€ Fists in the airā€¦ ā€œThank
God!!...ā€ a few criesā€¦

Dru looking to Will who stared, stunnedā€¦She beamed at himā€¦

Willie rising back upā€¦Hmmnā€¦

ā€œEven a day alive againā€¦Godā€¦ā€ Albert beamedā€¦ ā€œTo know, finally, weā€™re
still what we wereā€¦That weā€™re still here, somewhereā€¦Notā€¦Those things,
whatever they doā€¦Thank you, both of youā€¦ā€ he came upā€¦ ā€œWhat do you
want us to do?...Iā€™m in!...ā€

ā€œYeah!...ā€ the young brown-haired ex-love slave came forwardā€¦ ā€œCount
me in!...ā€

More stepped forwardā€¦Only a few hanging backā€¦

ā€œFirstā€¦ā€ Dru beganā€¦

***