"The angle of the dangle......"

Jeff Heilner

Aug 16, 1993, 1:55:41 PM8/16/93

I know I shouldn't continue this debate, but......

"The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the
????"

Is it "meat" or "beat"?

I think it's "beat", and here's why:

I think we can all agree that Beavis and Butt-head are both obsessed by
the concept of masturbation. Given that, "beat" makes more sense coming
out of Beavis' mouth.

"...heat of the meat" would refer to a general level of sexual excitement,
but only the "...heat of the beat" refers specifically, and unequivocally
to masturbation.

Therefore, I can only conclude that Beavis said:
"The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the
beat"

I've watched that scene over and over on tape, and it sure sounds like
"beat" to me, though I can't say for certain.....but, regardless of what
it sounds like, given the argument above, I think "beat" makes more sense.

I also think I've spent WAY too much time on this.....flame away! ;)

- jeff

Jeff Heilner Motorola - Semiconductor Products Sector
Software Engineer Network Support and Development
je...@pisces.sps.mot.com (NeXT) Tempe, Arizona USA
*************** GO A'S! **** GO SHARKS! **** GO WARRIORS! **************

Ken Krebs

Aug 17, 1993, 2:13:49 AM8/17/93
Jeff Heilner (je...@pisces.sps.mot.com) wrote:

> I know I shouldn't continue this debate, but......

> "The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the
> ????"

> Is it "meat" or "beat"?

It's beat.

> I think it's "beat", and here's why:

[...reason deleted...]

I have an Amiga IFF 8SVX sample of Beavis saying the whole thing and you can
clearly hear "beat" in it. The "b" sound is very clear.

--

*********** NewOrderDepecheModeUltravoxViolentFemmesKillingJoke |Amiga 3000|
*Ken Krebs* SkinnyPuppyLaTourBauhausBookOfLoveModernEnglishB52s |25Mhz/6Meg|

Kevin A. Mocklin

Aug 17, 1993, 10:08:53 AM8/17/93
Jeff Heilner (je...@pisces.sps.mot.com) wrote:

: I know I shouldn't continue this debate, but......

: "The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the
: ????"

[...]

Wouldn't it make more sense if it was 'directly proportional'?

Kevin

Craig Reinhart

Aug 17, 1993, 11:58:14 AM8/17/93
In article <1993Aug16....@mogate.sps.mot.com> je...@pisces.sps.mot.com (Jeff Heilner) writes:
>Is it "meat" or "beat"?

For what it's worth (probably not much) my _vote_ goes to "meat".
This _formula_ has been around for many, many years, at least to
the late 60's when I was a kid (I guess if I'm posting here I'm
probably still a kid) and Judge seems to draw on these "classic"
quotes once in a while. I've never heard the word "beat" put into
the formula until the topic came up here.

Craig.

ALAN WAYNE MURRAY

Aug 17, 1993, 3:00:32 PM8/17/93
In article <1993Aug17....@linus.mitre.org> moc...@twain.ucs.umass.edu writes:
>Jeff Heilner (je...@pisces.sps.mot.com) wrote:
>: [snip snip]

>: "The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the
>: ????"
>
>: Is it "meat" or "beat"?
>
>: I think it's "beat", and here's why:
>:
>: [explanation deleted]

>: - jeff
>

>Wouldn't it make more sense if it was 'directly proportional'?
>
>Kevin

That depends entirely on where the 'angle' is measured from.

-awmu...@eos.ncsu.edu
^^^^^^^^^^^^
yes, another one...

Spencer K. Olson

Aug 17, 1993, 4:39:14 PM8/17/93

I personally vote for 'beat', 'cause that's the way I've always
heard it, and I've seen that episode enough to have the song
'Cigarette Dangles' stuck in my head....

In fact, the way I interpreted it was that the 'heat of the
beat' refered to how good the song was...

Spencer Olson
ols...@elof.iit.edu
sol...@imsa.edu

Russell Kroll

Aug 17, 1993, 5:41:54 PM8/17/93
je...@pisces.sps.mot.com (Jeff Heilner) writes:

> I know I shouldn't continue this debate, but......

> I think it's "beat", and here's why:

> Therefore, I can only conclude that Beavis said:
> "The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the
> beat"
>
> I've watched that scene over and over on tape, and it sure sounds like
> "beat" to me, though I can't say for certain.....but, regardless of what
> it sounds like, given the argument above, I think "beat" makes more sense.
>
> I also think I've spent WAY too much time on this.....flame away! ;)

I played my tape of the episode through my Sound Blaster card, and
recorded it with the highest quality available (44.1 KHz), and then
attempted to strip out the background music using what little sound
processing tools I have. The result was nothing better than my VCR could
achieve. It always sounded like "beat" to me.

Perhaps someone with some better audio handling equipment will strip out
the song in the background as much as possible and let us know what
Beavis really said. If someone does do this, please put the binary of it
somewhere for all to hear...

--
rkroll%cmptec...@csn.org | Call Computech BBS at +1 719.260.6279 | Home of
- or - rkr...@csn.org | USR HST/DS (14.4k V.32bis/16.8k HST) | WAFTOGT

Jeffrey Gray

Aug 18, 1993, 3:38:52 PM8/18/93
In article <J12F9B...@cmptech.uucp> rkroll%cmptec...@csn.org (Russell Kroll) writes:
>je...@pisces.sps.mot.com (Jeff Heilner) writes:
>
>> I know I shouldn't continue this debate, but......
>> I think it's "beat", and here's why:
>> Therefore, I can only conclude that Beavis said:
>> "The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the
>> beat"
>>
>> I've watched that scene over and over on tape, and it sure sounds like
>> "beat" to me, though I can't say for certain.....but, regardless of what
>> it sounds like, given the argument above, I think "beat" makes more sense.
>>
>> I also think I've spent WAY too much time on this.....flame away! ;)
>
>I played my tape of the episode through my Sound Blaster card, and
>recorded it with the highest quality available (44.1 KHz), and then
>attempted to strip out the background music using what little sound
>processing tools I have. The result was nothing better than my VCR could
>achieve. It always sounded like "beat" to me.
>
>Perhaps someone with some better audio handling equipment will strip out
>the song in the background as much as possible and let us know what
>Beavis really said. If someone does do this, please put the binary of it
>somewhere for all to hear...

This whole argument is silly. Just look at Beavis' lower jaw. Does anyone
really think that with a face like that, Beavis could possibly pronounce
"B" or "M" correctly?

No way. The only difference between "beat" and "meat" is the plosiveness
or lack thereof of the initial [b] or [m] phoneme. I stand by my theory
that Beavis is incapable of articulating such a phonetic distinction, thus
the correct answer can never be known!
--
Jeff Gray
Intel Corporation "My wife won't let me date..."

Michael Solinas

Aug 19, 1993, 3:06:11 AM8/19/93
Jeffrey Gray (jg...@ichips.intel.com) wrote:
: No way. The only difference between "beat" and "meat" is the plosiveness
: or lack thereof of the initial [b] or [m] phoneme. I stand by my theory
: that Beavis is incapable of articulating such a phonetic distinction, thus
: the correct answer can never be known!

I recommend we commission a team of world-renown linguists to research this
matter. We may THEN reach some conclusion.

The "Lip Reading Expert" I talked to could not call it one way or another.
He said it could be "beat", "meat", "peanut", "evil", ......

Scott Travis Johnston

Aug 18, 1993, 8:47:50 AM8/18/93

No. Think about it.

-Scott

Jason W. Nyberg

Aug 20, 1993, 9:05:09 AM8/20/93
["It's beat, it's beat, it's beat" deleted]

Ok, ok, uncle, ^X ZZ quit q qu, I give!!!

(I feel like b&b after their run-ins with Thor :)

I just couldn't conceive of an alternative to "meat" I guess.

--
These are the thoughts and words of Jason Nyberg (nyb...@ctron.com)
/\

dbr...@elvis.wri.com

Aug 24, 1993, 3:35:33 PM8/24/93

Well, I am not a world renown linguist but I have spent about 7 years of my
life studying linguistics.

The phoneme [b] differs from the phoneme [m] not only by its plosiveness
but also in that the phoneme [m] is a nasal and [b] is not.

Just my $0.02.

Dan

PS These are my thoughts and have no relationship whatsoever with the thoughts
of WRI.