fanfic on the newsgroup

1 view

t...@pclink.com

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

>Laura:
>I know its fun to read the stories through these postings. I also enjoy
>reading stories from the Star Trek genre. Most of these I have been reading
>for the Newsgroup sec.
>Because once they are in there they stay for quite a while!

tap:
I still haven't figured out newsgroups in their entirety yet. I have my
browser set to read 150 posts at a time, but I never get that, even though
there are way over that number on. I usually see 30 or 40 or so at a time,
then they scroll away.

>I am an AOL subscriber and due to traffic...or whatever computer gliches my
>computer tends to quit and usually I am in the middle of downloading a story
>from the mail. It happened with YPIMP, I missed a few entries cause of this
>----- traffic!!

tap:
I've been told that your particular browser and the settings of your email
program can both affect this. Let me know if you're still missing any
particular sections and I'll resend to you via email.

>So...thanks to the posting in the Newsgroups I have better luck downloading
>from there. And since I am a fledgling wannabe writer...if others follow
>suit I wouldn't be to ashamed to put some BATB stories on the Newsgroups and
>I have been collecting BATB zines for years. There would never be a loss for
>a good stories...per the writer/
>zine publishers permission.

tap:
I actually don't post to the newsgroup. I post to the mailing list and they
flow from there to the newsgroup. But the end result is the same - the
bypass of aol in your case so you can get at longer posts.

I would love for you or any other fanfic writers to put your stories on the
newsgroup! Of course permission is required from the authors of previously
published material, but as long as this is obtained, I should think it would
be okay.

The really good news is that Missy is working on the archive page. Not only
will all Mailing List posts (past, present and future) be stored there in
blocks for easy viewing, but so too will fanfic. This way people can go
back and find any bits and pieces which may have scrolled by them unnoticed.
Best of all, the archive page is on the WWW proper. It will be a new source
to draw in newbie fans and surfers. This is easier to do from the web than
from the newsgroup (lots of people, like me, use the web all the time but
still don't totally 'get' the newsgroup thing). And certainly both of them
are much easier to find than the mailing list, which is primarily an email
program linked to the newsgroup, and vice versa. Anyway, so eventually the
archive webpage will have links to all the others, with explanations, Zeni's
FAQ sheets, etc. It will be a wonderful central spot for bbtv.

>And by the way....The Quickening was fantastic!!!!!!! I wonder how many of
>our husband are scratching their head in confusion from the EXTRA added
>attention they have been getting? Let them think otherwise...but we know who
>ruffles our fur????

tap:
Thanks! :>

|\/\/\/\ ============================= |\/\/\_
/ _ ) ( \
| ) \ Teri )_ \ |
\ | - \ t...@pclink.com ' ) |
\ \ Y |_ / /
> ')_/ "Checkmate" _ ) <
_| )_ _| |_
| ______ | | ______ |
|___________| ======================== |_________ _|

Check out http://www.rtchaos.com/cabb/cabb.html for Classic BATB stuff!

Janice A Keenan

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

On Sun, 16 Feb 1997 10:42:09 -0600 t...@pclink.com writes:
>tap:
>I still haven't figured out newsgroups in their entirety yet. I have
>my
>browser set to read 150 posts at a time, but I never get that, even
>though
>there are way over that number on. I usually see 30 or 40 or so at a
>time,
>then they scroll away.

You're on Netscape, right? I am too, and I get the same thing. I think
I get a max of around fifty messages, and then it won't let me go back
any further.

~~~~~Janice~~~~~
"If I speak in the tongues of men and angels,
but have not love, I am only a sounding gong or a
clanging cymbol." I Corinthians 13:1

PatK

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

<snip> I usually see 30 or 40 or so at a

> >time,
> >then they scroll away.
>
> You're on Netscape, right? I am too, and I get the same thing. I think
> I get a max of around fifty messages, and then it won't let me go back
> any further.

I have my option on Netscape set to 200 and it looks like that is how
many I get (though of course I have to scroll through them). I only
pull up unread ones so as I look at them, they disappear. I'm using
Netscape Gold 3.0 -- don't know if that makes a difference.
PatK

--
You find family wherever people love each other. (Labyrinths)

ME...@aol.com

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

<<
I think it's the assymetry of her face, but then again, what do I know - I'm
no artist! >>
Her face is very assymetrical and her eyes seem to face different directions
at once. It's an odd face in some ways. Talk about a square jaw, too! I agree
with you, I'm glad she's not the Cindy Crawford type. One thing about drawing
her for so many years ,it's made it that much easier to draw anyone. I just
did some Lois and Clark pictures for Linda Mooney and am just about to start
some X-files art for Helen Commodore. I don't think I'd would even try other
genre's if I hadn't had so much practrice on Catherine.

Sandy2

CC...@aol.com

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

AM:

You are most welcome!!! I will probably send you "Temptations" also when I
get it ~from Columbia House~ I have that one too.

Happy Watching Everyone!!!!

Carrie

CC...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

To add to what Teri said....

Someone dared me to write a SND story, so here I am. It is not done, but
hopefully in time for Easter it will be. My good friend Janedoe is
co-writing with me and submiting some lovely poetry, I would read it just for
that! When it is done, I will send a preview to the newsgroup to see if it
will drum up any interest. If so I will let interested parties know how they
can get it.

Thanks for the inspiration everyone!!!

Carrie and Jane

t...@pclink.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

>Lori:
>Did anyone else catch Linda on "Entertainers" w/ Byron Allen last night? I
>had the remote in my hand and was about to turn the t.v. off when they said,
>"Coming up, Linda Hamilton..." So, I stayed up and taped it. The first part
>of the interview was hilarious as Byron told a story about seeing Linda
>gambling at the Mirage in Las Vegas. And there was even a reference to BATB
>and Linda said there were a lot of good things about that show. I can post a
>transcript if anyone is interested.

tap:
I'd love to see a transcript!

Lin

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

You wrote:

>Teri,
>
>Just an idle question, as I have no intention of unsubscribing myself.
> However, in trying to do various things at various times, I have
tried to
>leave the subject line blank, and AOL wouldn't allow me to send it
that way.

Lynne,

What I do is but the same line: "subscribe..." in the subjet line and
then in the body as well and it works for me.

Lin

t...@pclink.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

>Cathy:
>Any thoughts on some good SND titles and where I might find them? There
>are a few zines in the Martin Enterprises catalog but not much description
>and I don't know what titles I'm looking for. They also have the fanzines
>from Tunnelcon I, II, and III. Do these have some good stories in them?
>I've missed so much by not knowing about fandom over the last several years
>and I find myself trying to make up for it all at once.

tap:
Last year, in addition to our usual celebrity auction to raise $$$ for The
Pediatric AIDS Foundation, we sold used zines - a ton of them. One new fan
brought at least $400 worth!!! She came in with a suitcase on wheels and
loaded it up :> Every year at the con there are lots of used zines sold at
quite low cost.

To tell you the truth though, no SND story in particular jumps out at me.
Once you've read a couple, they do tend to sound the same (so why the hell
am I doing another?! :) Anyway, lots of fan groups have lending libraries
for their members' use. Becky's Denver group does, and so does CABB. Lots
of others, too, I'm sure. It would be easier if we could have fanfic
authors chime up and tell us what SND stories they've done and how you can
get your hands on them.

There is one I remember - Linda Barth wrote a zine called 'Daybreak'. I'm
not sure if it's still available, but you can write and ask her at:
lind...@aol.com. Don't expect an answer for a bit though - she's in Italy
for another week or so (lucky girl!) Diane Davis'/C. Hatch's 'When Angels
Fall' is sort of a SND, but it builds an alternate scenario in place of the
3S events and resolves elements from the trilogy etc., without letting them
exist as shown on television. She is probably the most widely-known fanfic
author in fandom primarily because of her 'Kaleidoscope' series of zines (a
much-beloved three volume set about V&C and the progression toward their
happy life together). She's a wonderful writer and so far as I know is
still in fandom, but I haven't seen anything new written by her in a while.
I seem to remember a couple (serial?) by Molly George and M. Sue Waugh -
CABB may have them in their lending library. I always liked both of those
authors, especially the latter. I don't recall Lynette Combs doing any SND
stories, just continuing Classic, but I really love hers. She can be
reached at awe...@aol.com. Another fave of mine (again, not a SND) is Sue
Glasgow's 'Phoenix'. Wonderful, cutting edge V&C characterizations - and so
romantic (love those :)

There used to be quite a few zine review guides, and though they probably
don't contain the last year or two (or three :) of material, they will have
voluminous listings from earlier on in fandom. You should seek these out in
particular - try the lending libraries. Most of the guides give
descriptions of what the zines are about, a rating and their season.
Classic, 3S, All Season and SND are the most common labels used.

Classic means C's not dead (can take place at any point in time interior to
or exterior to the televised eps). 3S usually takes place in the third
season itself or beyond it, following the belief that C's dead. All Season
usually is used if the zine is an anthology of short stories with a mixture
of Classic and 3S stories. That almost never happens now - most publishers
keep those stories separate. SND stories usually revolve around the timing
of the trilogy and/or the 3S events, resolving them in various ways such
that Catherine emerges from them alive. This is a very specific catagory as
compared to the others, its focus and intent quite narrow in terms of the
eps, etc. Classic stories may touch on the timing of the trilogy and/or 3S
events, but SND stories in general are written specifically to deal with
those issues, while typical Classic stories are often simply a continuation
of the fairytale, usually ignoring the 3S eps entirely or referring to them
and any implied resolution with short, quick references only. Some Classic
stories incorporate the 3S events, but if they are set long after that time
(in the future, with grown children, etc.) there is still usually little or
no reference to those events, and if the stories occur during that time,
then they're considered in the SND catagory. Have I confused you yet? :>

What we're seeing here is a pattern I've seen quite often in fandom. New
fans (fans new to fandom) often crave the SND stories. You read a ton, get
your fill, decide what you like for the story, then move on to the stories
which fire your interest. And sometimes, as I hope happens here, you get an
irresistable urge to write fanfic yourself! :>

Usually zine guides will also give a rating, sometimes saying specifically
how it applies to either sex and/or violence. Some (not many) give their
opinions as to whether the reviewer liked the stories or not. Most leave
that up to the reader and simply give an outline, season and rating.

ADavi...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

Teri writes:

<< This is a very specific catagory as
compared to the others, its focus and intent quite narrow in terms of the
eps, etc. Classic stories may touch on the timing of the trilogy and/or 3S
events, but SND stories in general are written specifically to deal with
those issues, while typical Classic stories are often simply a continuation
of the fairytale, usually ignoring the 3S eps entirely or referring to them
and any implied resolution with short, quick references only. Some Classic
stories incorporate the 3S events, but if they are set long after that time
(in the future, with grown children, etc.) there is still usually little or
no reference to those events, and if the stories occur during that time,
then they're considered in the SND catagory. Have I confused you yet? :>

Thanks so much for the information, Teri. All of us new fans really
appreciate it, and appreciate the patience that long time fans show while we
catch up to speed. : )

A-M

ADavi...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

<< I can post a
transcript if anyone is interested.

~Lori

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! I hope you meant it! I am VERY interested.

Thanks!

A-M

ME...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

<<
Does anyone watch Chicago Hope? The storyline with Cathy Najimy last season
portrayed manic depression extraordinarily well.

I love Chicago Hope even better than ER. That story line was well done. I had
forgotten about those eps. My son was diagnosed with manic depressin lasts
Nov.

Sandy2

ADavi...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

<< I started a SND a few months ago, a lot like "When Angels Fall"
(unintentionally) I found out, and stopped work on it. I'll send you
what I did finish, though, if you're interested.

~~~~~Janice~~~~~
"If I speak in the tongues of men and angels,
but have not love, I am only a sounding gong or a
clanging cymbol." I Corinthians 13:1

Yep, we're interested alright! : > Please post and soon.

A-M

Sci Fi Mom

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

Thanks, Janice, for sharing Teri's newspaper write up. I had to laugh a
little when I read that --

> "There are a lot of people with too much time on their hands," says
>Jon Samsel, chief operating officer of The Carronade Group, a San
>Francisco-based publisher of books on the interactive media
>industry.

--especially considering that I'm sitting at the computer at 1 a.m. instead
of sleeping, because it's the first chance I've had today to sit down for a
few minutes!

Claudia (Sci Fi Mom)
email: sv...@netpath.net

Battershell

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

At 07:06 PM 2/16/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone watch Chicago Hope? The storyline with Cathy Najimy last season
>portrayed manic depression extraordinarily well.
>

>C & M,
>
>Lynne

Yes, I watch Chicago Hope. That storyline was really
good. I've read both of Patty Duke's books about
her being manic depressive. Very informative.

Kathy
ba...@iofc.com

If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally
transform one million realities.
Maya Angelou

Lynne...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

Just want to echo Pat's excellent summary of position. I do intend to stay,
I do support Aurea's right to run her list, I do deeply regret Don's absence
and think that was an error in judgment, but accept that I may not have seen
everything she saw. I must admit that I don't particularly miss the other
party involved in the whole mess; I just felt that the two cases were
different.

I also really love so many of the people here, so many of the comments and
analyses, so much of the humor -- I can't imagine giving it up. I would be
interested in other lists too, but this one feels like home!

C & M,

Lynne

Janice A Keenan

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997 15:16:21 -0500 (EST) Lynne...@aol.com writes:
>Just want to echo Pat's excellent summary of position. I do intend to
>stay,

<<snip>>

>I also really love so many of the people here, so many of the comments
>and
>analyses, so much of the humor -- I can't imagine giving it up. I
>would be
>interested in other lists too, but this one feels like home!
>
>C & M,
>
>Lynne

I'm so glad to hear it, Lynne!

~~Janice~~

LBarr...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

I have been watching BATB since day one.. Due to circumstances beyond my
control....I had missed a few of the episodes from 3S. Forests of the Night
was one I had never seen before.

First impressions???

Although the message I received was to never give up hope...I still have a
problem with the darkness that surrounds the entire 3S. Even though Rolley
had come back...I saw and felt no happiness due to his return.

Secondly I was shocked to hear Vincent 'threatened to kill someone' even
though that person was a criminal. Vincent the vigilante rang through my
brain. I look forward in seeing Chimes...another one I haven't seen.

And so I have decided to seek the good in every episode and try not to
condemn what I feel is wrong.

In closing I do perfer the first two seasons...but some fine characters and
fine acting came out of 3S. Edward Albert was remarkable in 3S out shining
his performances in the other seasons!

With 3S being so abruptly cut...who is to say what relationship Diana and
Vincent might have developed? But of course...I have yet to see the last two
ep. in 3S...so I will wait until then...

"Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies." --aristotle.
One of my favorite quotes....

Laura

Janice A Keenan

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

Hey Cathy,

ME...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

<< I already told my husband I need to take an extra
empty suitcase for bringing home all my loot.

143 days and counting. . .

Cathy >>
Extremely good idea! I just bought a big suitcase on wheels so it's easier to
carry back all the zines I buy. Most of my spending money at the cons go to
zines!

Sandy2

Sheila Schumacher

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com, beautyb...@rtchaos.com

I LOVE THIS QUOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally
> transform one million realities.
> Maya Angelou

Sheila

Cathy Moran

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

>De-lurking to wish everyone a Happy Valentines Day. Hope yours is as good as
>mine. Awoke to find a single red rose by my face this morning.
>Hope some of you still remember me, I haven't posted in a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG
>time.
>
>Julie

Hi Julie,

If you haven't posted in a LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGG time, then you need to
start back up. Alot of us are new and would love to get to know you.

Cathy

Cathy Moran

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

>Did anyone else catch Linda on "Entertainers" w/ Byron Allen last night? I
>had the remote in my hand and was about to turn the t.v. off when they said,
>"Coming up, Linda Hamilton..." So, I stayed up and taped it. The first part
>of the interview was hilarious as Byron told a story about seeing Linda
>gambling at the Mirage in Las Vegas. And there was even a reference to BATB

>and Linda said there were a lot of good things about that show. I can post a

>transcript if anyone is interested.
>
>~Lori

I did the same thing, flipping through the channels. Was disappointed when
she said she'd gotten out of BATB "in the nick of time" but she did say it
was a good show. I'd love to see the transcript, since my son got up
before me and taped over it.

Cathy

t...@pclink.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

>LHer...@aol.com:
>If you don't mind i would also be interested in reading when completed.
>I also love reading all the zines, mostly SND and classic ones.

tap:
Hey, do I see a new de-lurker? ;>

t...@pclink.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

>Janice:
>Um, I'd like some announcements on the BATB convention for the year 2389
>A.D., because I've been thinking of making some plans for then and I'd
>like a little advance notice.
>
>Just kidding. Sorry for the sarcasm, I really do appreciate Lisa's
>informing us. I just find it a little funny, like we're all out here on
>the edge of our seats thinking, "Yeah, but what about the con of 2000?!"

tap:
You wouldn't believe the difference in how fast the years fly by when you're
17 and when you're 40, Janice. In 2000 I hope to finish my MBA (I'm
shooting for it mostly because I think it will be cool to have that date on
at least one diploma :) It seems right around the corner to me!

t...@pclink.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

>Sandra:
>I don't see Catherine as quite the almost mythic superwoman you seem to.
>In fact, I agree with many of my third season friends about Catherine's flaws.
>However, I loved her flaws; and what I consider her imperfect
>relationship with
>Vincent. IMO these things are what made them interesting. I am not
>interested
>in either perfect people or perfect relationships.

tap:
I don't see the character of Catherine as perfect any more than I see
Vincent as perfect. I do, however, see them as wonderful, and yes, even
mythic. I couldn't imagine myself being as obsessed as I am with a story
that had only merely ordinary characters in it. We all see what we want to
see in this story, though, and that's the beauty of it.

ME...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

<<
I wonder if you just spaced through the box, or part of it, if that would
register as something, or if you just typed ***** or some such? If not, how
would you meet the requirement of an empty subject line?

Lynne (curious, with c & m)

I'm on Aol,too and I just put *no subject* on the subject line and it works
fine.

Sandy2

Libr...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

<< I'm still amazed he didn't
actually fall upon impact. Nah, on second thought...... ;-) >>

ADavi...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

<< When it is done, I will send a preview to the newsgroup to see if it
will drum up any interest. If so I will let interested parties know how
they
can get it.

Thanks for the inspiration everyone!!!

Carrie and Jane

I can't wait! Looking forward to it with eager anticipation! : )

A-M

t...@pclink.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

>PatK:
>I have a question on a phrase that I've heard here several times. In
>the episode A Happy Life, several people talk about 'bowling for
>Vincent'. What is this??

tap:
I've never heard of it before, and must have missed that reference. I'm
with you, Pat - what is it?!

Janice A Keenan

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:46:57 -0600 t...@pclink.com writes:

>You wouldn't believe the difference in how fast the years fly by when
>you're
>17 and when you're 40, Janice. In 2000 I hope to finish my MBA (I'm
>shooting for it mostly because I think it will be cool to have that
>date on
>at least one diploma :) It seems right around the corner to me!

Well, look at it from where I am. In the year 2000, I'll be 21, in my
last years of college (I don't know yet whether I'm going for four or
five years), hopefully happily married. That's a huge leap from where I
am now, in high school without a job. I can't even think about the
convention of 2000, yet, except that I hope to be there!

~~~Janice~~~

Jayha...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

<< >PatK:
>I have a question on a phrase that I've heard here several times. In
>the episode A Happy Life, several people talk about 'bowling for
>Vincent'. What is this??

tap:
I've never heard of it before, and must have missed that reference. I'm
with you, Pat - what is it?!

I wondered the same thing when I first saw it mentioned. The only thing I
could think of was the scene where Catherine is running through the park
toward Vincent and practically "bowls" him over. I'm still amazed he didn't

actually fall upon impact. Nah, on second thought...... ;-)

~Lori

Janice A Keenan

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997 15:17:48 -0500 Sci Fi Mom <sv...@netpath.net> writes:
>Thanks, Janice, for sharing Teri's newspaper write up.

Your welcome! I was sure everyone must have already seen it. It's on a
site about canceled programs that have been embraced by the internet.
I'll go find the URL if anyone's interested.

~~~Janice~~~