Linda Hamilton and a BATB Movie

1 view

Teri

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

tap:
No, LH has never said she 'wanted nothing more to do with BATB'. She has
said that she was disappointed in how the story progressed - especially
later in the second season (she wanted more of an evolution between
Catherine and Vincent's relationship), and she has said this in several
ways at several times. Yes, RP has said he only is interested in doing it
if LH is in it and so, too, has both Koslow and Republic, who currently
hold the movie rights. It seems the key then is writing the *right*
script which will convince LH to take part. I don't have any other
suggestions for Catherine's character. I personally just don't think the
movie has a chance for success unless both RP and LH reprise their central
roles. And re Gillian Anderson - Koslow would be a fool and a half to
even consider putting in a red-headed replacement for Catherine after the
big boo-boo he made before. Teri

>Rose:
>Ok--this drove me to respond. Say it ain't so!!! Does LH really want
>nothing to do with B&B??
>Is this common-knowledge in fandom? If so, how does everyone feel about LH
>not being in a movie?
>I thought I read RP saying that he would not do a movie without LH ...so
>where does that leave us? :(

>>>JoAnn:
>>> I hope I'm doing this right. I'm not sure about the "reply to group" vs.
>>> e-mail to author... but I mentioned earlier, in another "subject" that I
>wonder
>>> what actress would be good for the character of Catherine since Linda
>Hamilton
>>> has said she wants no part of B&B ever again. Too many painful
>memories, etc.
>>> I opted for Kelly McGillis of Top Gun fame, or Gillian Anderson of X-files.

Bergeron22

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

I guess I was going by what she said in an interview on one of the late night
talk shows... This was shortly after the series had been cancelled, not long
after the pregnancy, and she was apparently still smarting from the breakup in
her marriage. If she has changed her mind, that would be terrific!

JoAnne

TCramer124

Dec 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/19/97

>tap:
>No, LH has never said she 'wanted nothing more to do with BATB'. She has
>said that she was disappointed in how the story progressed - especially >later
in the second season (she wanted more of an evolution between >Catherine and
Vincent's relationship), and she has said this in several ways at several
times. Yes, RP has said he only is interested in doing it if LH is in it and
so, too, has both Koslow and Republic, who currently hold the movie rights. It
seems the key then is writing the *right*script which will convince LH to take

part. I don't have any other
>suggestions for Catherine's character. I personally just don't think themovie
has a chance for success unless both RP and LH reprise their central roles.
And re Gillian Anderson - Koslow would be a fool and a half to even consider
putting in a red-headed replacement for Catherine after the
>big boo-boo he made before. Teri

TMC

Well, I'm new to the newsgroup boards but I have been posting in the AOL online
boards area. So I'll throw my .02 in here.

I agree 100% with Teri.

My hope is that down the road LH will decide to reprise her role as Catherine.
I'm hoping that someone will make her see the light of day and she will decide
that doing this is a good thing. I think Ron P. obviously wants to revisit
the character of Vincent again. But I think unless you've got V & C
together... there will be no movie.

I can be made to believe almost anything in the way of a nightmare....be it
Vincent or Catherine. I'd like the events to take place picking up during the
trilogy.

And I don't believe that a "dream sequence" ala Dallas would be the kiss of
death for a movie. We're talking about an entirely different show with an
entirely different demographic.

It might be kind of interesting to see Catherine having the "nightmare" instead
of Vincent. We'd expect him to have it.

Anything that is done would have to have the three key factors:

1. Linda Hamilton
2. Ron Perlman
3. A well written story.

During its best moments, this series always delivered when those 3 elements
were utilized to their fullest capacity.

My only other criteria would be that we get at least one "real" kiss at some
point during this movie. That was something that always bothered during the
run of this series. For crying out loud, at least give me that. I've had it
with roses and lava and superimposed images. This time I want it to be real.

I don't need a "consummation" scene to bring closure to these characters but I
would like to see some type of forward movement in that direction. An actual
kiss isn't a bad place to start.

If only they could make a 2 hour movie with the passion, dialogue and chemistry
of the episode "Orphans". I could live with that.

By the way, Teri, I love and I mean love your fanfic!!!! I'm a real V & C fan
and so far....your fanfic is one of the few I've read that even comes close to
capturing that "bonded eternal love."

Tina

alt.tv.lois-n-clark.fanfic

Teri

Dec 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/20/97

>Tine:

>Well, I'm new to the newsgroup boards but I have been posting in the AOL online
>boards area. So I'll throw my .02 in here.
>
>I agree 100% with Teri.
>
>My hope is that down the road LH will decide to reprise her role as Catherine.
>I'm hoping that someone will make her see the light of day and she will decide
>that doing this is a good thing. I think Ron P. obviously wants to revisit
>the character of Vincent again. But I think unless you've got V & C
>together... there will be no movie.

tap:
I agree (of course :) I think that there are compelling arguments for LH
to consider in taking on this project in movie form, and I'm hopeful that
she is. Of course the story/plot is so key, considering she felt
disappointed with Koslow's direction toward the end. I have to say,
though, that any script that will make Linda happy will no doubt do the
same for me, since I think her interests in it parallel mine a lot.

>I can be made to believe almost anything in the way of a nightmare....be it
>Vincent or Catherine. I'd like the events to take place picking up during the
>trilogy.

tap:
I definitely want to take up at the trilogy, because I feel there was so
much material there re the V&C relationship to be explored. I like the
nightmare so much better than the coma SND because it physically makes me
sick to think of a 'real' ;> isolation or C while pregnant. Closed off
from virtually all human, caring contact, no bond to sustain her -
nothing! On top of that she's tortued through the use of drugs early on,
and by that same isolation later. It's sadistic, and it makes me queasy
to hear George R.R. Martin comment that he can't see why anyone would
consider it torture since it wasn't of the sort we're used to envisioning
being used during the crusades of the dark ages (i.e. iron maidens, drawn
and quartered, etc.) To me this combination of emotional and mental
torture, in a state of physical isolation, over those months is far, far
worse. Then the end - it's absolutely abhorrant to me, and completely
unacceptable! And to think that Koslow actually used that scene on the
room in promo ads as if it were romantic! Geesh - this is his idea of a
reasonable replacement for his lack of kisses between them earlier!

>And I don't believe that a "dream sequence" ala Dallas would be the kiss of
>death for a movie. We're talking about an entirely different show with an
>entirely different demographic.

tap:
I agree completely.

>It might be kind of interesting to see Catherine having the "nightmare" instead
>of Vincent. We'd expect him to have it.

tap:
Yes, it would be nice to stand this one on its head a bit. I think there
are other opportunities within the trilogy for twisting this SND scenario
in different ways, besides this one, and that makes it a very nice option
for Koslow to consider using, imo. Who's having the dream? How much of
what we saw during the trilogy is 'real'? Where is the dreamer at the
time of the dream? (both in physical location and in time) What caused
the dream to occur? Lots of questions, and most of them have an 'obvious'
answer, but then several other feasible ones that allow the building of a
slightly different twist. Regardless, each one leaves us with the
fairytale relatively intact, ready to move forward with the story I loved
for two years.

>Anything that is done would have to have the three key factors:
>
>1. Linda Hamilton
>2. Ron Perlman
>3. A well written story.
>
>During its best moments, this series always delivered when those 3 elements
>were utilized to their fullest capacity.

tap:
Again, I agree completely! I loved the way the story was done for the
first two seasons. I suppose this is why I have trouble coming up with a
'fun' vs 'serious' proposal for my interests in the movie. I want the
story I loved back - that's my idea of fun, but I'm quite serious about it
- always have been. I suppose that's why I'm so adamant that Catherine is
not and did not die - that's the only story that holds my interest and
it's why I'm here, in fandom, hanging on to the story as it's conserved by
fanfic writers, for all it's worth :>

To be more specific, I wouldn't change the rescue/protect element - I
loved its use. I never ever saw Catherine as silly in the pursuit of her
job, even when it endangered her and brought Vincent anguish. I saw her
as courageous and committed. I saw Vincent in the same light - loving her
beyond anything, but unwilling to control her in her pusuit of justice and
right. The only thing I'd change is to allow a more realistic evolution
of their loving relationship, and a simple but *real* kiss would do that
for me. Like I said, it's a movie and I don't expect a big consumation
scene (fanfic can supply that :) but I want the romance to be at the
forefront always, and not some mickey mouse charade of a 'love on a
pedestal' because Koslow is afraid the audience doesn't want to see these
two characters as 'too human'. With all the mythic elements and destiny
surrounding them, they are very human to me, and I think to most of the
fans who loved the story, regardless of which seasons they accepted.

>My only other criteria would be that we get at least one "real" kiss at some
>point during this movie. That was something that always bothered during the
>run of this series. For crying out loud, at least give me that. I've had it
>with roses and lava and superimposed images. This time I want it to be real.

tap:
LOL - gmta!! I guess I should have read this first, since I said
essentially the same thing above! Again, I agree with you 100%!

>I don't need a "consummation" scene to bring closure to these characters but I
>would like to see some type of forward movement in that direction. An actual
>kiss isn't a bad place to start.

tap:
And again, definitely yes! I don't want or need a huge closure to the
story in a movie either - in fact it would be unwelcome. What I want is
more of their ongoing adventures, surruounded in the mythic elements of
the fairytale, so that the story lives on, no matter what happens to the
tv series itself.

>If only they could make a 2 hour movie with the passion, dialogue and chemistry
>of the episode "Orphans". I could live with that.

tap:
Passion, dialogue and chemistry - oh yeah! That's a big reason, imo, that
they need RP and LH to reprise the roles. It's not enough to do a
chronical - they have to bring these characters - and the single V&C
entity - to life, and only they can do it, imo.

>By the way, Teri, I love and I mean love your fanfic!!!! I'm a real V & C fan
>and so far....your fanfic is one of the few I've read that even comes close to
>capturing that "bonded eternal love."

tap:
Thanks, Tina. V&C's bonded, eternal love is of such primary importance to
me. Without it the story would have been just another tv show,
interesting perhaps for the makeup of the beast, but not for much else.

Teri

Teri

Dec 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/20/97

Bergeron22

Dec 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/20/97

>It might be kind of interesting to see Catherine having the "nightmare"
>instead
>of Vincent. We'd expect him to have it.

That's a TERRIFIC idea! Yeah! Sure! Why not Catherine have it instead of
Vincent. Or why not some other character besides Vincent or Catherine!

Hi Tina! Welcome!

JoAnne

TCramer124

Dec 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/20/97

JoAnne wrote:

<<That's a TERRIFIC idea! Yeah! Sure! Why not Catherine have it instead of
Vincent. Or why not some other character besides Vincent or Catherine!>>

<<Hi Tina! Welcome!>>

Hi to you too, JoAnne! And thank you for that welcome. I'm enjoying my
journey through this newsgroup posting so far.

I really hope that a lot more people find this newsgroup. I love discussion
and I think it's very interesting to read other fan's viewpoints about B & B.

Tina (who loves traipsing about in the tunnels! <G>)

alt.tv.lois-n-clark.fanfic

TCramer124

Dec 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/20/97

Teri wrote:

<<I agree (of course :) I think that there are compelling arguments for LH to
consider in taking on this project in movie form, and I'm hopeful that she is.
Of course the story/plot is so key, considering she felt disappointed with
Koslow's direction toward the end. I have to say, though, that any script that
will make Linda happy will no doubt do the same for me, since I think her
interests in it parallel mine a lot.>>

Here, here....I totally agree with you. From the things I've read of LH's
comments I think she was genuinely very frustrated in not seeing the evolution
of the relationship progress. I know I was frustrated. For as poignant and
as well-written a story as "A Happy Life" was, you'd think Koslow would have
gotten a clue by writing that story that this is what the fans wanted to see.
A natural progression moving "towards" a relationship that would be fulfilling.

I'm a fan from the very beginning. This show intrigiued me so much. I was
literally blown away by it. 1st season was such a nice progression to "A Happy
Life". I remember after originally seeing "A Happy Life" I was so excited for
the 2nd season to start. "A Happy Life" gave me a reason to believe that
maybe, just maybe network television had finally dared to go where no network
had gone before...belief that a TV couple could make a relationship work. That
you didn't need to keep on continuing with that sexual tension of will they or
won't they have a relationship. That attitude is so prevelant in network
thinking. They don't even believe for one second that the viewer would like to
see a relationship that does work. You can still have sexual tension even
within a consummated relationship.

Anyway, there are lots of episodes during 2nd season that have them moving
closer especially Orphans. That is why it's my favorite episode. After
Orphans, Koslow wasted so many opportunities to bring them closer together in a
physical sense. For me, the last straw was that balcony scene with the rose
bush during A Kingdom By The Sea. We get so close to an actual kiss it makes
me want to just "smack" Koslow upside the head! <G> Where would the harm have
been in allowing it to happen. It's no wonder LH got upset.

There are things in the trilogy that make me crazy as well.
I don't mind the fact that the trilogy explored Vincent's dark side but it
could have it explored so much more. They were in this thing together. There
are at least several instances during the trilogy where an actual kiss could
have taken place.

To me it seemed that Koslow just couldn't bring himself to deal with the issue
of actually consummating the relationship in a real sense. And so we get lava,
roses, super-imposed images, yadda, yadda, yadda!!!! <G> And, again, I
reiterate I don't need "a consummation scene" but I'd have liked some "real
kisses" to show that the relationship was "real" and "physical." My
imagination can do the rest.

The one scene that most troubles me in the trilogy is the scene where Spirko
has just exposed Vincent. And Vincent tells Catherine they must not see each
other ever again. To this day I will never and I mean never understand why
Catherine does not kiss him in that scene. For her to say "Just hold me."
seems ludicrious to me. Totally unbelieveable.

For crying out loud, they are in love with one another. In that scene, they
realize they may never see each other again. If that was possibly the last
time you would ever see the person you love, wouldn't you at least kiss each
other goodbye and make it a "good kiss" too while you're at it. <G>

Another good moment was when Vincent said "What happens, whatever comes....know
that I love you." You mean to tell me that is not an opportunity waiting to
happen! Ugh!!!!!

These are the issues that troubled me the most during the last episodes of 2nd
season. For me it seems that was just not a natural progression. And I don't
believe the writers ever really knew how to get over that wall.

Teri writes:

[...]

Precisely my point!!!! You would never believe that the same man who wrote "A
Happy Life" could write "TLBL". It just makes me crazy!!!!

Teri also writes:

<<Yes, it would be nice to stand this one on its head a bit. I think there are
other opportunities within the trilogy for twisting this SND scenario in
different ways, besides this one, and that makes it a very nice option for
Koslow to consider using, imo. Who's having the dream? How much of what we
saw during the trilogy is 'real'? Where is the dreamer at the time of the
dream? (both in physical location and in time) What caused the dream to occur?
Lots of questions, and most of them have an 'obvious' answer, but then several
other feasible ones that allow the building of a slightly different twist.
Regardless, each one leaves us with the fairytale relatively intact, ready to
move forward with the story I loved for two years.>>

Teri, again, you point out some very good observations. All I want is my
fairytale back and intact. We are definitely on the same wave length.

<<....it's why I'm here, in fandom, hanging on to the story as it's conserved

by fanfic writers, for all it's worth :>
>To be more specific, I wouldn't change the rescue/protect element - I loved
its use. I never ever saw Catherine as silly in the pursuit of her job, even
when it endangered her and brought Vincent anguish. I saw her as courageous
and committed. I saw Vincent in the same light - loving her beyond anything,
but unwilling to control her in her pusuit of justice and right. The only
thing I'd change is to allow a more realistic evolution of their loving
relationship, and a simple but *real* kiss would do that for me. Like I said,
it's a movie and I don't expect a big consumation
scene (fanfic can supply that :) but I want the romance to be at the
forefront always, and not some mickey mouse charade of a 'love on a pedestal'
because Koslow is afraid the audience doesn't want to see these two characters
as 'too human'. With all the mythic elements and destiny surrounding them,
they are very human to me, and I think to most of the fans who loved the story,
regardless of which seasons they accepted.>>

You are so correct here, it's scary!!!! <G> Their love is what made them
"human" to me!!!! A physical expression of that love would in no way hinder my
ability to see them as "less human". Geesh, it would only make them "more
human" to me!!!! And I don't see how that could be a bad thing where the fans
are concerned. I just do not understand and have never understood Koslow's
logic in not letting the relationship go forward.

Ahhh, one of those eternal mysteries!! LOL!!!!

alt.tv.lois-n-clark.fanfic

northsider

Dec 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/20/97

Teri wrote:

> ..............................It's sadistic, and it makes me queasy

> to hear George R.R. Martin comment that he can't see why anyone would
> consider it torture since it wasn't of the sort we're used to envisioning
> being used during the crusades of the dark ages (i.e. iron maidens, drawn
> and quartered, etc.) To me this combination of emotional and mental
> torture, in a state of physical isolation, over those months is far, far
> worse.

This is one thing about which we agree. I think it has something to do
with
the differences between men and women. Men are more simple and direct.
Women
are more complicated; and, the nature of being female means that you can
handle
physical pain. It is the mental and emotional stuff that gets to us.

=Sandra=
Spend too much time with people of like mind and you will lose yours.
http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/b/m/bmoore3/

Sandra

Dec 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/20/97

TCramer124 wrote:

You are right. It was not a natural progression. IMO this is part of
the problem
when they try to prolong the "sexual tension" beyond its natural point.
The relationship does not then progress naturally and therefore becomes
unbelievable.

The scene that bothered me was the scene in Vincent's chamber after
Micheal had kissed
Catherine in "A Fair and Perfect Knight." Talk about begging for a
kiss!

In trying to recogncile this, I just figure that Catherine may have been
a modern woman in some ways; but, in others, she was rather old
fashioned which means she was not sexually aggressive, largely because
she did not know how to be. In her life, the
men had always made the moves, especially the important ones. She knew
how to stand
real close, give him the "big eyes." Any man but Vincent would have
been all over
her. :)

The few times she seemed to try to open up a dialogue, Vincent would
close up on her or
even walk away. Catherine didn't seem to know how to "put her foot
down" and make
him talk to her. All women know how difficult this can be with so many
men. We don't
know how to handle it. Catherine didn't either.

Teri

Dec 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/20/97

>tap:
>> ..............................It's sadistic, and it makes me queasy

>> to hear George R.R. Martin comment that he can't see why anyone would
>> consider it torture since it wasn't of the sort we're used to envisioning
>> being used during the crusades of the dark ages (i.e. iron maidens, drawn
>> and quartered, etc.) To me this combination of emotional and mental
>> torture, in a state of physical isolation, over those months is far, far
>> worse.

>Sandra:

>This is one thing about which we agree. I think it has something to do
>with
>the differences between men and women. Men are more simple and direct.
>Women
>are more complicated; and, the nature of being female means that you can
>handle
>physical pain. It is the mental and emotional stuff that gets to us.

tap:
I definitely agree with you, Sandra, that it is largely a gender thing.
Men are often so tuned into the surface aspects of something, while
sometimes the subtler things go unnoticed. I don't mean that across the
board, just a generalized observation that I believe reflects the way
little boys and little girls are sometimes raised in our societies.

Torture for some men (and apparently that includes Martin ;) is a blood
and gore thing, pure and simple. If a few limbs or digits aren't lost,
then it ain't it :> Emotional issues are so much more complex, and women
have always been more sensitive to them, being the caregivers of our
culture.

It was one of the many reasons I love the character of Vincent as
developed though. Here you have this massively ;> virile and masculine
man who has, in addition to the obvious qualities of triple-Y
chromosome maleness <g> the qualitites women often don't expect to find in
a man (sensitivity, true caring, attention to detail, emotional and not
embarrassed by it, etc.).

The question isn't how Catherine could love one such as he (as Vincent
observes it, no doubt) but that there was a snowball's chance in hell that
she wouldn't love him. But best of all, imo, is that this
one-in-a-million catch isn't a roaming stud. This is a one-woman man and
boy-oh-boy, does that make the romance and its future potential go off the
erotic scale for me! What woman wouldn't want such focused committment,
love and devotion from a being so superior to all others in comparison?!
so I say to Catherine, 'you go, girl', and believe me, even if Koslow
didn't get it, fanfic writers in fandom most certainly do! :>

Bergeron22

Dec 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/20/97

>A physical expression of that love would in no way hinder my
>ability to see them as "less human."

Nor would it hinder mine. However, the most money-making movies ever made have
had to do with the "restraint" of physical expression, since in this
disfunctional society, sex is considered bad. And the smallest hint that
Catherine and Vincent might have more than a "sacred love" was enough to send
reverberations around the world as to their "unsanctioned" behavior. Koslow
had to be careful if he was to bring in a wide audience.

I remember when the series was being replayed on some Christian channel. The
scene were the girl holds her arms around Vincent's neck so he can pull her up
to relieve her back pain from being pregnant was cut. I was outraged!

>You can still have sexual tension even
>within a consummated relationship.

Absolutely! We don't need to see the graphic details. Suffice to say, that
even if one has enjoyed another (I'm being SO careful :-) that the time
contraints, the work contraints, the other people around all the time, etc.,
could still most certainly provide the tension/potential of more to come. (No
pun intended :-)

JoAnne

Teri

Dec 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/22/97

>Tina:
> There are things in the trilogy that make me crazy as well.
> I don't mind the fact that the trilogy explored Vincent's dark side but
it
> could have it explored so much more. They were in this thing together.
There
> are at least several instances during the trilogy where an actual kiss
could
> have taken place.

tap:
Though there were so many inconsistancies and mischaracterizations of the
trilogy, do you know what drove me nuts more than anything? Vincent not
taking the camera from Spirko. I don't even want to begin to discuss this
in terms of the characters, because I can only think of it as one of the
biggest gaffe in writer inconsistancy I can recall in this series. What in
the world were the writer's thinking of?! Here they've had Vincent coming
to Catherine's and his world's protection over and over and over again,
involving, yes, violence and death, but when everything he holds most dear
is in the most extreme state of jeopardy ever, he refuses to take a lousy,
stinking camera out of the hands of that low-life reporter!! I was so
insulted by the lack of finesse used by the writers in this instance. It
was as if they had said right out, 'they're so hooked on the show they'll
take anything we'll give them'. Boy, did they learn the hard way :>

But on a broader scale, it was these inconsistancies of characterization
and behavior that make it easy for me to view some of the trilogy and all
of the 3S eps in the nightmare scenario. The characters are just not the
ones I knew throughout their earlier development, and so for me that
explains it. Can you imagine Father traipsing about uptop (at the Plaze
of all places, for god's sake!) having an affair when the tunnels are under
seige?! It was stupid writing beyond belief! And that scene with Father
and kid with the frizzbee - geesh, it was laughable, and not in a good way.

Teri

Sandra

Dec 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/22/97

Teri wrote:

> Though there were so many inconsistancies and mischaracterizations of the
> trilogy, do you know what drove me nuts more than anything? Vincent not
> taking the camera from Spirko. I don't even want to begin to discuss this
> in terms of the characters, because I can only think of it as one of the
> biggest gaffe in writer inconsistancy I can recall in this series. What in
> the world were the writer's thinking of?! Here they've had Vincent coming
> to Catherine's and his world's protection over and over and over again,
> involving, yes, violence and death, but when everything he holds most dear
> is in the most extreme state of jeopardy ever, he refuses to take a lousy,
> stinking camera out of the hands of that low-life reporter!!

There were a lot of things, throughout the series that various
characters should
have done, this is true of all series; but, the writers were constrained
by
various needs and pressures.

All I can say about the camera is that obviously neither Vincent nor
Catherine
were thinking clearly; but, it would have been a good idea for Catherine
have later said somewhere "If I had only thought to take that camera!"

> But on a broader scale, it was these inconsistancies of characterization
> and behavior that make it easy for me to view some of the trilogy and all
> of the 3S eps in the nightmare scenario. The characters are just not the
> ones I knew throughout their earlier development, and so for me that
> explains it. Can you imagine Father traipsing about uptop (at the Plaze
> of all places, for god's sake!) having an affair when the tunnels are under
> seige?! It was stupid writing beyond belief! And that scene with Father
> and kid with the frizzbee - geesh, it was laughable, and not in a good way.

The last two episodes, the ones where Father has the affair, are widely
regarded
in the fandom, and among the writers, as their very worse. GRRM has
said so.
On GEnie he once went into a prolonged discussion about how all that
came to
be. Basically it was network pressure.

However, other than Father's affair, IMO the third season and Trilogy
episodes
were very much in character.

It seemed to me that in the Trilogy they were finally dealing with some
issues
that were long overdue. I realize that, even at that time as now, there
are
fans who do not want to consider these things. They were very vocal at
the time
it made some national publications. Still this subject was long
overdue.