Book proposal and purging...

1 view

Bec...@kktv.com

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

Teri:
BE>I think there is a difference between personally accepted willingness to
BE>engage in discussion in a forum like this (yes, even though the info flows
BE>from a contained mailing list to the whole WWW via the Newsgroup) and the
BE>gathering and use of that material to be published in a book and sold for
BE>royalties.

I agree.

BE>I have no problem with the publishing and selling of books -
BE>not at all, I think it's a fine endeavor. But I feel strongly, regardless
BE>of the fact that our words are publicized here on the WWW (which we all
BE>agreed upon when joining the mailing list or newsgroup), that permission
BE>must also be obtained to take them and put them anywhere else.

I agree there, too.

BE>I for one
BE>would not give that permission and do not want my words published in that
BE>type of forum.

I would have to consider the person asking permission, but I'm not
giving unilateral permission to quote me, no way!

That said, I have to wonder, Teri, why you are bothering to comment on
this now, unless it's because Aurea has been sharing with you the
private messages she's been getting regarding Don MacDonald's removal
from this list. It smacks of collusion and frankly, it's beginning to
look a little ugly, especially since Don was not the offender; he was
simply seeking clarification on points he did not understand. As I told
Aurea privately, I do understand her need to protect her business and
her livelihood, but Don was threatening neither of those. He was just
asking questions.

I am not sure I am comfortable being on a list where, if I challenge or
question something the list owner says, I will be unilaterally dumped
(without even the courtesy of being notified!). I'm also not sure I'm
comfortable being on a list where someone can be unilaterially removed,
and almost no one speaks up against it. Think about it, people.

Becky

In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up
because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't
speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade
unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a
Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to
speak up.
- Martin Niemoeller 1892-1984

pjba...@abs.net

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

let me just say ...
I miss Don!

Confidence and Merriment,
Patti

Teri

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

>Carrie:
>In follow-up....
>Does anyone want to start an idealistic utopia underground, far from the
>dregs of life?
>
> Your Benevolent Ruler
>PS. I'll probably alienate someone if I do it enough times.....

tap:
Hmmm... an idealistic utopia underground, far from the dregs of life...
You know it's a long shot, but it just might work! :>

|\/\/\/\ ============================= |\/\/\_
/ _ ) ( \
| ) \ Teri )_ \ |
\ | - \ t...@pclink.com ' ) |
\ \ Y |_ / /
> ')_/ "Checkmate" _ ) <
_| )_ _| |_
| ______ | | ______ |
|___________| ======================== |_________ _|

Check out http://www.rtchaos.com/cabb/cabb.html for Classic BATB stuff!

Teri

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

>Teri
>
>You and I are just going back and forth... what time is it there?
>
>It's 1:oo am here......:o (yawn).
>
>I like to prowl the net, looking for fresh meat.......
>
> Sleepy
> Carrie

tap:
Chandler and I are on irc chatting - you should join us there some evening.
Anyone else interested, you can almost always find Chandler, and sometimes
me or Clairyce or some of the others there. Get on the efnet and join the
#beautyandthebeast channel.

Bec...@kktv.com

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

Kingdomality test? I'm obviously missing mail... <grump, grumble>

Becky

pjba...@abs.net

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

another benevolent ruler here!
patti

Sheila Schumacher

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

There was a message a while ago about a phone # you could call and buy
B&B videos. Could anyone tell me of any phone#'s i could call to get
catalogs and so forth?

**************************************
Sheila M. Schumacher
ssch...@mail.sjcme.edu

genie...@juno.com

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

On 14 Jan 1997 22:03:10 -0700 Bec...@kktv.com writes:

>I am not sure I am comfortable being on a list where, if I challenge or
question >something the list owner says, I will be unilaterally dumped (without even the >courtesy of being notified!). I'm also not sure I'm comfortable being on a list where >someone can be unilaterially removed, and almost no one speaks up against it. >Think about it, people.

I agree. I didn't say anything because I wasn't sure that Don had been
removed from the list. No one actually said so. So I figured it could
have been just a glitch or whatever.

I have, more than once in my life, been accused of things I did not do
with no way of proving that I was not guilty; and, regardless of what we
are told, in this country we are
guilty until proven innocent. :( So I hate to accuse Aurea of
anything; but, if she did
remove Don from the list, I disagree with her actions.

I too have difficulty understanding the copyright laws in this country.
I can certainly understand how Don, who lives elsewhere, might. He was
just asking.

-=Sandra=-

Laura J Valentine

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

Excerpts from batb: 14-Jan-97 Book proposal and purging... by Bec...@kktv.com

> I am not sure I am comfortable being on a list where, if I challenge or
> question something the list owner says, I will be unilaterally dumped
> (without even the courtesy of being notified!). I'm also not sure I'm
> comfortable being on a list where someone can be unilaterially removed,
> and almost no one speaks up against it. Think about it, people.

Becky,

I would have to agree with you. I feel uncomfortable with this move in
the extreme. However (and no, Aurea, this is not a threat), Runtime
Chaos is not the only fish in the sea. I would be sorry to leave here,
as I love it, and I think that RTC is a pretty nifty provider--but I
may, as I am uncomfortable with this policy and with other things that
have been done in the past.

--laura

fie...@cmu.edu -=-=- http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/jacquez/
-=--=- Cthulhu is the Patron Saint of Pittsburgh... -=--=-
Alpha Phi Omega, Kappa Chapter, Carnegie Mellon University

Teri

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

>Jeff:
>That stupid kingdomality test called me a Prime Minister. I'll have someone
>head for this.
>
>-----
>Your distinct personality, The Prime Minister, might be found in most of
>the thriving kingdoms of the time. You are a strategist who pursues the
>most efficient and logical path toward the realization of the goal that
>you perceive or visualize. You will often only associate with those
>people who can assist you in the implementation of your plan. Inept
>assistants may be immediately discarded as excess baggage. To do
>otherwise could be seen as inefficient and illogical. On the positive
>side, you can be rationally idealistic and analytically ideological. You
>can be a bold decision maker and risk taker who can move society ahead by
>years instead of minutes. On the negative side, you may be unmerciful,
>impatient, arrogant, impetuous and impulsive.

tap:
I'm scared!! ;>

Okay, now we've got dreamers, shepards, benevolent rulers, discoverers, and
a prime minister. Any I've missed? I think we still need a chandler...
No, wait, we've got one of them :> What about a cobbler?

Jeff Carden

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

At 09:30 PM 1/15/97 -0600, Teri wrote:
>Who is George? Missed this the last go round :>

I'm assuming it was his idea, he and David Peckinpah share author credits.

I grew up near the Six Nation's Indian Museum and the curator told the story
that the first time an indian child did something wrong his parents
explained that it was wrong. If he did it again, they had a more serious
talk. If he did it a third time, everyone in the tribe would pretend that
he didn't exist for a day and the indian child would never disobey in this
way again.

Jeff

Email to: car...@capital.net
Web page: www.capital.net/users/cardenj
I have 5M of space to play with so stay tuned for more exciting photographs!

Sandra Shelton

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com, Sshelton

At 11:07 PM 1/15/97 -0500, beautyb...@rtchaos.com wrote:

>Okay, now we've got dreamers, shepards, benevolent rulers, discoverers, and
>a prime minister. Any I've missed? I think we still need a chandler...
>No, wait, we've got one of them :> What about a cobbler?

Do I have time to make candles before this blizzard gets here??? um.. oh well..
I would rather talk on irc to my sister dreamer.. oh Clairyce!!(with luck we
won't have school tomorrow.. now that is something to dream about.)

Dreamer-Minstrel
-Chandler
Chat:#BeautyandtheBeast on efnet
Email:sshe...@i-star.com __ __ _
B&B webpage:http://www.rtchaos.com/chandler/ / _|__|_
/ /
The eternal silence of infinite space terrifies me. |_|
-- Pascal \ | / |__|
_ __________________\_'_/_________________________ __ / /
___________|__|______*___________________________|__|_/
/ ' \
/ | \

Sci Fi Mom

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

At 02:37 PM 1/14/97 -0500, Louise wrote about including a missing children
link on her own web site.

>...New pictures come up every ten minutes. I'm sorry, if this post offends
anyone, but >yesterday it just hit home, after reading Janice's post. Thanks
for your patience with >my post!
>Visit our web sites at: http://toyshop.rpmdp.com

Instead of taking offense that someone doesn't just feel sympathy for these
helpless ones but also does something about it, I can't help but think how
true to the feeling of Beauty and the Beast it is.

Claudia (Sci Fi Mom)
email: sv...@netpath.net

Battershell

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

At 01:34 AM 1/16/97 PST, you wrote:

>On 16 Jan 1997 08:45:24 -0700 Bec...@kktv.com writes:
>
>>George Martin posted just last night on GEnie that Koslow had called
>>him recently... seems ROAR has been picked up for thirteen episodes,
>>although he didn't say if they were filming yet or when the episodes
>>might air.
>>
>>Becky
>
> Do you know what this is about? I enjoyed
American Gothic. Another interesting show bites the dust.
Will Shaun Cassidy act or be producer/writer/director
again.

Kathy B.

Don't Worry Be Happy

Libr...@aol.com

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

<< I do realize it would probably be easier to get LH back for a theatrical
movie; but, she did do that USA tv movie, so she's not totally adverse
to television. As for riding high, the real truth is, that since
leaving BATB, she has been in only one successful theatrical movie and
in that one she played second banana to a robot!

"Dante's Peak" could change things, but so far I would say that LH is
far from riding high.

I agree with all you said. I'd love to see B&TB on the big-screen, but wonder
if having to attract a much larger audience couldn't be more a curse than a
blessing to fans like ourselves.

As to Linda's career, I think when she was riding high back in the T2 days,
she thought her career was about to really take off. Unfortunately in being
so conscientous in building her physique for the movie I think she typecast
herself more than Catherine ever did in B&TB. And I'm not criticizing her for
the muscle, but IMHO that's what happened.

I'm hoping that whether a theatrical movie or a mini-series can be done, that
Linda will realize that it will not hurt her career, but maybe enhance it.

Teri

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

>Rita:

>I agree with all you said. I'd love to see B&TB on the big-screen, but wonder
>if having to attract a much larger audience couldn't be more a curse than a
>blessing to fans like ourselves.
>
>As to Linda's career, I think when she was riding high back in the T2 days,
>she thought her career was about to really take off. Unfortunately in being
>so conscientous in building her physique for the movie I think she typecast
>herself more than Catherine ever did in B&TB. And I'm not criticizing her for
>the muscle, but IMHO that's what happened.
>
>I'm hoping that whether a theatrical movie or a mini-series can be done, that
>Linda will realize that it will not hurt her career, but maybe enhance it.

tap:
I agree with the above 100% I always thought that she was pushed overboard
to two extremes from T2 and what followed. I think BATB would strike a
really nice middle ground, and in a return that's sure to gain notice from
fans and critics alike. Catherine is a strong yet feminine hero - it's a
great role, IMO.

Battershell

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

At 09:23 PM 1/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>First we need to remember that Aurea runs this list purely as a service to
>us and to help keep the dream alive. She obviously spends a lot of time
>setting up the list and has made numerous, highly innovative additions to
>the list in the short while that I've been on it (communication to the
>newsgroup, archive...). For this she deserves our respect and thanks.

I enjoyed your comments Jeff. The lone ranger (man) for sure
now. Thanks for answering my question about Larry. Since only
three men we know of (unless a female name is maybe a male?) I
kept track of the names in my head.
Aurea a big thank you for the list. I didn't realize how many
people enjoyed B&B. I usually like a show and then it gets
cancelled because of no viewers. I think Nielsen ratings really
don't work at all. The viewers have to let the networks, producers,
and advertisers that they like a show and keep it alive.

Zenobia

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

pjba...@abs.net wrote:

> another benevolent ruler here!
> patti

Yup, I'm one too. Gee,with all these rulers around,
perhaps I should stop answering mail in pajamas?

--Zenobia (who is known as the Queen of the Internet by
all her Pern friends and GW2K colleagues)