Talia brain in a jar - Psi-Corps paperweight

NicStepro

Mar 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/12/96
I loved her character and while I hope she makes some sort of appearance,
I think she is a goner. When her implanted personality took over she would
of told her bosses all about everything going on on B5 as well as telling
them about Ironheart's gift, TK (or more as some have speculated). Now,
Psi-Corps being who they are, would want to know exactly how that
was...hence, she's cut up into tiny pieces in jars all over psi-corps
research facilities and the basis for some Psi-Corps PhD's study thesis.
IMHO. Boy, I hope I'm totally wrong...
Btw, wouldn't that make a great item - a little minature jar with "Talia's
brain" ...

Nicolette

Rainy Cat

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
Ah, but it was unclear whether or not Bester was lying in order
to get the command staff emotionally upset, in order to better get inside
their thoughts. Of course, I've seen posts on this newsgroup that
indicated the writers were considering showing a scene in Bester's office
with a small jar on a shelf labelled "T. Winters", but cut it as they
thought it would be far too tacky.
But, as arguments in the past have suggested, I would agree that
Talia's new personality would have spilled her information about here
newly-found teek powers to the Corps, and the Corps would have promptly
discovered all that they could about the changes made to Talia's mind,
so... Who can say?
'Twould be a shame, though... she was a fairly interesting
character. Oh, well. Just a few thoughts from the redwoods and the ocean.

Rainy Cat.

The Phoenix

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
Nicolette rit:

> When her implanted personality took over she would
> of told her bosses all about everything going on on B5 as well as telling
> them about Ironheart's gift, TK (or more as some have speculated). Now,
> Psi-Corps being who they are, would want to know exactly how that
> was...hence, she's cut up into tiny pieces in jars all over psi-corps ...

Hmm. I've always liked to think that Ironheart, being a god an' all, would've
seen through a puny Psi-Corps (+ Shadow? Anyone else see that in the DC comic? I
doubt they'd've put that in without a prod by JMS ...) trick like that, and done
something about it. Obviously, he couldn't "fix" it without endangering her, but
there's no reason why he couldn't strengthen her (?) personality (they *were*
lovers, so there can't have been *too* much of a difference - *which* was the
*real* personality?).

Anyway, what with the eps. coming out on video over here in the UK (nyaar
nyaar!), we've just seen Deathwatch again - and the subplot of Kosh recording
(what?) bits of Talia "for the future" now seems to have an extra depth. Well,
maybe :-)

On an aside, I was always under the impression that Micheal O'Hare left after
the first season of his own volition (supported[ish] by the existance of the
'alternate' bits of Points of Departure in the DC comic), but a recent interview
in TV Zone seems to imply that the whole thing was in The Plot. Any knowledgable
answers?

- FNX

The Phoenix | "They said you were dead ...
| Dead, or gone to Birmingham."
Pho...@argonet.co.uk | - Survival

Jonathan P Frain

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
In article <4i8bar$b...@nkosi.well.com> g...@well.sf.ca.us (George A. Gleason) writes:

>Re. Talia's not coming back: Bester himself, in another of this year's new
>episodes, said as much: "After her dissec- uh, *examination*, we..." So
>they dissected her, and almost admitted it openly.

He could have said that to try to provoke them into strong
emotional reactions so that he could read them better. That's the
impression that i got. Even Ivonova said that. And so there is no
certainty that they dissected her.

Jon F

Demetrius W. Burlingkopf

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
On 18 Mar 1996 17:48:30 GMT, jpf...@christa.unh.edu (Jonathan P
Frain) wrote:

I have heard elsewhere on this group that JMS said that Talia was
indeed dead. Since this is 2nd hand info at best, take it for what
it's worth. Apparently, Bester was trying to provoke them using just
a little slice of the truth knowing that they'd probably think it was
just that...a trick.

Like Sheriden said, "It's best to hide a lie inside the truth. It's
easier to swallow that way."
0
0 0 Ladc...@ix.netcom.com
// Demetrius W. Burlingkopf
_ //_________________________________________________
(_)========< _________________________________________________>
\\ Shadow Players
\\ Stage Combat Group
0 0 "Potest esse nur unus"
0

Juan Lumetta

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
I didn't think of that! They wouldn't have had Kosh record Talia for
nothing. I can't wait to see what happens.

Mike West

Mar 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/25/96
In article <Nyarlathotep-1...@slip-63-15.ots.utexas.edu>, the
INCREDIBLE Nyarla...@mail.utexas.edu says...

...snip...
> Remember folks, Kosh never does anything without a reason (albeit a
>cryptic and strange one). If he recorded images of terror "for the
>future", than you can bet good money she will be back. Despite what Bester
>said.

I too would like to see Talia return but I don't think it'll happen. JMS said
"Talia is dead" and I take him at his word.

However there's a possibility that Talia's knowledge and personality could be
transferred to someone else later. I think this is a possibility.

--
Mike West (mw...@sprynet.com)
"Man will always find a difficult means to perform a simple task"

DWalker042

Mar 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/25/96
In article <4j56so$s...@juliana.sprynet.com>, mw...@sprynet.com (Mike West)
writes:

>I too would like to see Talia return but I don't think it'll happen. JMS
said
>"Talia is dead" and I take him at his word.
>
>However there's a possibility that Talia's knowledge and personality
could be
>transferred to someone else later. I think this is a possibility.

As I understood it she left because there was an extremely long line of
forthcoming episodes in which she did not appear. It was decided to drop
her from the payroll and the arc as her role became increasingly
non-existant. Which I must admit does seem a bit odd, given the potential
use of having a friendly Psi-Corps member on the team. Anybody know for
sure, or at least what the official rumour is about this?

Dave.

Laurent Castellucci

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96
>As I understood it she left because there was an extremely long line of
>forthcoming episodes in which she did not appear. It was decided to drop
>her from the payroll and the arc as her role became increasingly
>non-existant. Which I must admit does seem a bit odd, given the potential
>use of having a friendly Psi-Corps member on the team. Anybody know for
>sure, or at least what the official rumour is about this?
>
>Dave.

Apparently, the idea of a Psi-Corps plant was there the whole time. In the
original plot, it was to be Laurel Takashima, but the character was dropped
after the pilot. (The actress left)
JMS insists that Talia as the replacement has been in the plot ever since,
but some people don't believe him. It is true that Andrea Thompson thought
she wasn't getting enough focus in the episodes that did concern her, and
this remains a main reason why she is unlikely to return.
LC

Mitchell S. Robinson

Mar 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/28/96
Jonathan P Frain (jpf...@christa.unh.edu) wrote:
: In article <4i8bar$b...@nkosi.well.com> g...@well.sf.ca.us (George A. Gleason) writes:
: >
: >
: >Re. Talia's not coming back: Bester himself, in another of this year's new
: >episodes, said as much: "After her dissec- uh, *examination*, we..." So
: >they dissected her, and almost admitted it openly.
: >

: He could have said that to try to provoke them into strong
: emotional reactions so that he could read them better. That's the
: impression that i got. Even Ivonova said that. And so there is no
: certainty that they dissected her.

: Jon F
"Talia" has showed up in the 20th century, posing as a US Navy lawyer in
the series "JAG".

Mitch Robinson (mit...@seas.gwu.edu) (703-476-3971)
2148 South Bay Lane, Reston, VA, USA 22091

Nuncio Bitis

Mar 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/28/96
Laurent_C...@babylon.montreal.qc.ca (Laurent Castellucci)
wrote:

> Apparently, the idea of a Psi-Corps plant was there the whole time. In the
>original plot, it was to be Laurel Takashima, but the character was dropped

Yes - remember when Kosh had her as a "go-between" between he and
someone else, and recorded her experiences on data crystal? I think
this was season 2? At the time I couldn't figure out why Kosh would
mean her harm. Now I realize he knew about her all along...

Jim

E-Mail: nunc...@superlink.net
WWW: http://mars.superlink.net/nunciate/
Edison, NJ

Twink code:
T6 C1 L2w h-(:) d-- av w- e+ g+ f t++(2,4,6,7,8) k++v s- m1 m2 q-

"I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid"
-- the artificial person, Bishop, from _Aliens_

zaphod

Apr 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/6/96
On 25 Mar 1996, DWalker042 wrote:

> As I understood it she left because there was an extremely long line of
> forthcoming episodes in which she did not appear. It was decided to drop
> her from the payroll and the arc as her role became increasingly
> non-existant. Which I must admit does seem a bit odd, given the potential
> use of having a friendly Psi-Corps member on the team. Anybody know for
> sure, or at least what the official rumour is about this?

having a friendly psi-corp member on the team would be a nice idea, but
talia had the silly notion of following ALL rules and regulations that
the corp imposes on its telepaths. its much better that we now have a
telepath-for-hire who doesn't give a damn about psi-corp or its rules (of
course silly me, have just forgotten her name as i was typing this.)

ciao
zaphod

:*>- :*>- :*>- :*>- :*>- :*>- :*>- :*>- :*>- :*>- :*>- :*>- :*>- :*>- :*>- :*>-
If someone really cared, they'd take the time to spare
a moment to try and understand another one's despair.
- G n' R
Far be it from me to talk you out of your paranoia.
- Bester (from B5)
When I feel strong emotions from two feet in front of me,
It just jumps out of my mouth before I can stop it.
- Bester (from B5)
The Universe is already mad, anything else would be redundant.
- Londo (from B5)
-<*: -<*: -<*: -<*: -<*: -<*: -<*: -<*: -<*: -<*: -<*: -<*: -<*: -<*: -<*: -<*:

Rothwang

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
Man... now _there_ is a marketing idea! Mini-Talia's brain bell jar
paperweights!

In article <4je8fp$a...@cronkite.seas.gwu.edu>, mit...@seas.gwu.edu
(Mitchell S. Robinson) wrote:

> Jonathan P Frain (jpf...@christa.unh.edu) wrote:
> : In article <4i8bar$b...@nkosi.well.com> g...@well.sf.ca.us (George A. Gleason) writes:
> : >
> : >
> : >Re. Talia's not coming back: Bester himself, in another of this year's new
> : >episodes, said as much: "After her dissec- uh, *examination*, we..." So
> : >they dissected her, and almost admitted it openly.

(Snip)

Michael Kwan

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
On Apr 08, 1996 23:57:15 in article <Re: Talia brain in a jar - Psi-Corps

paperweight>, 'david....@wash.coll.edu (Rothwang)' wrote:

>> : >Re. Talia's not coming back: Bester himself, in another of this
year's
>new
>> : >episodes, said as much: "After her dissec- uh, *examination*, we..."
So
>> : >they dissected her, and almost admitted it openly.
>
>(Snip)
>

>> : Jon F
>> "Talia" has showed up in the 20th century, posing as a US Navy lawyer in

>> the series "JAG".

OH MY GOD! Not only is Psi-Corps aligned with the Shadows, they also
control some method of time travel as well! They could be planning to move
their operations here and we would have no way to stop them. Could this be
the beginning of the end?

andrew...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2012, 8:20:09 AM8/6/12

For a science fiction book about brains in jars and immortality, see YouTube video "1a Universe, man, and god appear". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxzfIx4IHpE