Pinky and Tourettes

ezr

May 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/23/98

Just wondering if anyone else wonders whether Pinky
has tourettes syndrome, narf?

Julian9EHP

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

>Just wondering if anyone else wonders whether Pinky
>has tourettes syndrome, narf?

The voice tags don't seem to be compulsive, as they are with Tourette's. T
individuals do seem to be more creative and happier than most people (Oliver
Sacks once wrote about a man who gave himself the nickname "Witty Ticky Ray").

I'd say Pinky is unique. As Brain would, though with different implications.

E. Penrose

Mitch Feldhandler

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

ezr <crw...@m9.sprynet.com> wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone else wonders whether Pinky
> has tourettes syndrome, narf?

funny, i was just thinking that myself today, troz!
i was discussing this with the elders of my family who are also fans.
i think he does!

EM Whisker

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

uuuuuuuuuh, what's that?

From Kat
/\ /\
* *
>|<
O <Meow

Julian9EHP

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

>Subject: Re: Pinky and Tourettes

>uuuuuuuuuh, what's that?

People with Tourette's Syndrome feel compelled to make peculiar sounds, repeat
words, touch places around them, or to repeat simple actions such as flicking a
light switch or straightening a rug, sometimes ten or fifteen times in a
minute.
It doesn't affect intelligence: Oliver Sachs mentions a Tourette-y surgeon.
Again, I think Pinky isn't compulsive. He's simply weird.

E. Penrose

Jon Stipe

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

Mitch Feldhandler wrote in message <6kbros$a1b$1...@supernews.com>...

The way in which Pinky spurts out his nonsensical words does seem to be
consistent with Tourettes Syndrome. However, most people with Tourettes tend
to blurt out obscenities, not nonsense words like "narf" or "poit". Not to
mention that in "The Mouse of La Mancha", Pinky says "He means Narf! Or is
it Poit?", implying that he has at least some concept of what they mean.
However, they may make sense only to him, indicating slight schizophrenia
along with Tourettes. Considering most of his responses to "Are you
pondering what I'm pondering", that would seem to be the case. Also, in "The
Pinky POV", when Pinky says "Narf" the word expands to fill his entire
focus, until the word "Poit" snaps him back to attention. This would seem to
indicate Attention Deficit Disorder is laced in there as well...

OcarinaMan

May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98

>This would seem to
>indicate Attention Deficit Disorder is laced in there as well...

As someone with ADD, I would have to *Narf!* say that this is not the case.
He tends to *Poit!* focus in on one object and ignore others. Not very
ADD-ish.

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

In article <6kg4ec$gtg$1...@news.hughes.net>, jst...@ccis.com says...

> >> Just wondering if anyone else wonders whether Pinky
> >> has tourettes syndrome, narf?

> >i think he does!

> mention that in "The Mouse of La Mancha", Pinky says "He means Narf! Or is
> it Poit?", implying that he has at least some concept of what they mean.

Also, come to think of it, when he was watching GypParody on the tele he
asked, "What is Narf?, What is Poit?". That certainly rules out Tourettes
and simply makes him a wonderfully silly, yet high-school educated,
character.

P. Garrison

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

>> Just wondering if anyone else wonders whether Pinky
>> has tourettes syndrome, narf?
>
>funny, i was just thinking that myself today, troz!
>i was discussing this with the elders of my family who are also fans.
>i think he does!

Anything's possible. What I love about P&TB is that it can be appreciated on so
many levels - and the stuff that they sneak in there TB writing THX=1138 on the
chalkboard for instance! Subtle, very subtle. I guess the closest cartoon to
have enough "adult" content in it since Rocky & Bullwinkle a generation ago.

Live long and prosper, P&TB NARF!!!

I've even got my boss saying "Narf" now and then!

There is hope! <g>.

We'll do tomorrow night the same thing we do every night.. try and take over
the world!

BTW I've had this wonderful allusion to reality as far as computers go:

How about Bill Gates as The Brain, with Steve Jobs of Apple as Pinky???

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Narf!!!

Ross Driedger

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

P. Garrison wrote in message <6l54tr$l22$1...@news1.epix.net>...

>Anything's possible. What I love about P&TB is that it can be appreciated
on so
>many levels - and the stuff that they sneak in there TB writing THX=1138 on
the
>chalkboard for instance! Subtle, very subtle. I guess the closest cartoon
>have enough "adult" content in it since Rocky & Bullwinkle a generation
ago.

I think the Chuck Jones (et. al.) WB cartoons were on this level; indeed, I
see P&TB as an extension of this legacy. Perhaps the level of political
satire isn't there but I sense that we are much less prone to 'glorify' our
political leaders now than back in the 40's, 50's and 60's.

>How about Bill Gates as The Brain, with Steve Jobs of Apple as Pinky???

Nah, it doesn't work for me; Billy's plan for world domination is actually
working....

--

Ross Driedger

Please remove any underscores from my address -- Minor Spam Block.

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

In article <6l54tr$l22$1...@news1.epix.net>, pl...@epix.net says...

> many levels - and the stuff that they sneak in there TB writing THX=1138 on the
> chalkboard for instance! Subtle, very subtle. I guess the closest cartoon to
> have enough "adult" content in it since Rocky & Bullwinkle a generation ago.

that THX=1138 made me laugh so hard, then I rented it to see it
again just before seeing Deep Impact...
he really is grisled, poit.
Then I needed to rent Man of LaMancha, Billy Jack,
and a Pooh, ZORT.

P. Garrison

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

>>How about Bill Gates as The Brain, with Steve Jobs of Apple as Pinky???
>

>Nah, it doesn't work for me; Billy's plan for world domination is actually
>working....

So do The Brain's - until we see the fatal flaw, or laugh ourselves silly at
the outrageousness of his latest scheme! If we're pondering what the DOJ is
pondering.... I dunno, Brain, does this mean Linux has a snowball's chance in
that other place?

Don't make me hurt you, Pinky...

P. Garrison

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

>that THX=1138 made me laugh so hard, then I rented it to see it
>again just before seeing Deep Impact...
>he really is grisled, poit.
>Then I needed to rent Man of LaMancha, Billy Jack,
>and a Pooh, ZORT.

Oooh! Billy Jack! Naaaaarrrf!!

I think the actor, Tom Laughlin, who played BJ ran for President at least once
ZORT! check out http://www.billyjack.com/newbjfilm.html yes, a 25th anniversary
film, Poit!!!

Pooh - Eeyore morphed into "Algore" - Being the Vice President, not an easy
place to be - from Dan Quayle's potatoe [sic] to being full of hot air - the
only thing that would have made it better would have had him spewing forth the
dollar bills of campaign contributions!

rdze...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2015, 1:51:16 AM4/22/15
On Saturday, May 23, 1998 at 3:00:00 PM UTC+8, ezr wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone else wonders whether Pinky
> has tourettes syndrome, narf?

No shit, Sherlock. Pinky's frequent utterances of "NARF!" do come up at most inconvenient times, thereby proving once and for all he does have Tourette's Syndrome.

Satqi

Sep 17, 2020, 7:02:47 AM9/17/20
On Tuesday, May 26, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Jon Stipe wrote:
> Mitch Feldhandler wrote in message <6kbros$a1b$1...@supernews.com>...
> >ezr <crw...@m9.sprynet.com> wrote:
> >> Just wondering if anyone else wonders whether Pinky
> >> has tourettes syndrome, narf?
> >
> >funny, i was just thinking that myself today, troz!
> >i was discussing this with the elders of my family who are also fans.
> >i think he does!
> The way in which Pinky spurts out his nonsensical words does seem to be
> consistent with Tourettes Syndrome. However, most people with Tourettes tend
> to blurt out obscenities, not nonsense words like "narf" or "poit". Not to
> mention that in "The Mouse of La Mancha", Pinky says "He means Narf! Or is
> it Poit?", implying that he has at least some concept of what they mean.
> However, they may make sense only to him, indicating slight schizophrenia
> along with Tourettes. Considering most of his responses to "Are you
> pondering what I'm pondering", that would seem to be the case. Also, in "The
> Pinky POV", when Pinky says "Narf" the word expands to fill his entire
> focus, until the word "Poit" snaps him back to attention. This would seem to
> indicate Attention Deficit Disorder is laced in there as well...
That's not correct, coprolalia (cursing tics) is only in a tenth of people with TS. This is coming from someone who has Tourettes lol and in the TS community, I haven't met one person who has inappropriate tics. I personally only have growling and squeaking tics.