Charisma Talks About Cordy's End

1 view

David

Oct 6, 2019, 7:52:29 AM10/6/19

https://www.tvguide.com/news/angel-cordelia-death-charisma-carpenter/

Charisma Carpenter Addresses Cordelia's Controversial Ending

Twenty years to the day after Angel's premiere, the cast reunited at New
York Comic Con on Saturday to reminisce on the Buffy the Vampire Slayer
spin-off. Amid the celebration, star Charisma Carpenter spoke out on the
controversial end of her fan-favorite character, Cordelia Chase, who was
written out at the end of Season 4.

Asked whether there was anything in her character's story that she wished
she could have explored further, Carpenter took a long pause. "That's really
loaded," she said. "She would have been great to explore in Season 5."

Carpenter returned for one episode of the fifth and final season, which
ultimately revealed that Cordelia had died and was appearing to Angel (David
Boreanaz) in a vision. The actress said she hadn't wanted her character to
die.

"I welcomed the opportunity to come back and to be with my friends and to
have Cordelia live on. So when I signed on and agreed to do it and then
found out after I had signed on that we were, in fact, writing her out — one
of the contingencies of my return was just, like, I don't want to come back
to kill her. You know, tell a story to let her live on in some way. And it
didn't work out that way."

She recalled being swayed after meeting with Jeffrey Bell, showrunner of the
last two seasons. "I said, 'Well, if you're going to kill her, tell me how
it's done.' And then he tells me the story, which you all know, and I was
like, wow that's really good. If you're going to go, that's the way to go."

Calling the episode, Season 5's "You're Welcome," a "seminal episode" for
the WB series, Carpenter expressed gratitude for her experience in the role
even as she wished it could have continued. "Obviously Cordelia's a huge
part of my life, the best role I have ever occupied to date," the actress
said. "So that would have been great to continue doing that."

Angel aired on The WB from 1999 to 2004.

All five seasons of Angel are available to stream on Hulu.
David