Bring Back "Tru Calling"!

David

Mar 30, 2019, 9:21:12 AM3/30/19
https://thespinoff.co.nz/tv/30-03-2019/tru-calling-was-the-worst-best-show-and-we-need-it-back/

Tru Calling was the worst best show and we need it back

Two seasons, one Eliza Dushku and a pre-Hangover Zach Galifinakis – how
could a show with all this fail? Sam Rutledge writes about the two-season
wonder that was Tru Calling.

I have a controversial opinion for you: the shortlived Fox network drama Tru
Calling was actually good.

“Wait, what show?” I hear you ask. Fair question. It really only got one
season – plus six episodes that aired out of order because in 2003 TV was
the wild west and anything was allowed to happen – then it got cancelled.

In case you’re unfamiliar; Tru Calling followed Tru Davies, a hopeful
medical student who takes a job at a morgue when her internship falls
through. She manages to pick up the Creepy Graveyard Shift because of course
she does, and it’s under those circumstances she learns of her special
spooky gift – people who die “before their time” can ask her for help. Tru’s
day rewinds and starts over, and she gets to redo the whole thing to try and
save them from their fate. Cool trick!

If you watched this show in 2003 there’s no way you’d believe that the
biggest star was going to be Zach Galifinakis. He was Tru’s closest
confidant and always knew a lot more than he was letting on.

Eliza Dushku played the titular Tru with the familiar earnestness, sass
and empathy she’s always been great at, and I bet Fox was hoping that since
her star was burning bright at the time she was going to swamp them with
viewers. Unfortunately they were incorrect.

It was a kooky, kinda cheesy show. Dead people dramatically turned their
heads and whispered help me, but I’ve seen much dumber shows with worse
actors go for way more seasons.

Christina Hendricks was a guest star! Cobie Smulders was a guest star!
Jeffery Dean Morgan was a guest star! What more did anyone want.

After the first few establishing episodes and a few genuinely interesting
twists, we met Tru’s opposite. He was the dude who was out to make sure the
dead people who asked for help died again on a rewind. Like a yang to her
yin type of thing. Played by Jason Priestley, Jack wasn’t pure evil or just
out to get his kicks, he was a legitimately great addition to the base
mechanism of the show. His presence deepened the mythology to ask the
question: is Tru’s intervening in these people’s lives actually the right
thing to do?

[I watched, being a Faith fan, But it wasn't until they introduced
Jack (who I think was actually her brother) and her father (if I'm
remembering correct), that it got really interesting.]

David