Music question

Ivor Jones

Dec 29, 2007, 7:22:53 AM12/29/07
Wow, it's *really* quiet in here, my new server reports no posts at all..!

Ok let me start things off for the new year. I have recently finished
watching the box set of all 5 seasons (it's taken me since August..!) and
I have a music question.

In the finale of S4, when Dylan is on board the Arkology (spelling..?)
space station, there is a soprano singing a haunting song, which becomes a
recurring theme throughout S5.

Does anyone know what it is..? It doesn't appear in the credits anywhere
and my mother, who usually has an encyclopaedic knowledge of classical
music, doesn't know.

Any info gratefully received..!

Ivor

Jim Heckman

Dec 30, 2007, 11:18:37 PM12/30/07

On 29-Dec-2007, "Ivor Jones" <iv...@thisaddressis.invalid>
wrote in message <5tmsh2F...@mid.individual.net>:

Sorry, I can't really help. I assumed it was written for the show,
and that Kevin Sorbo really liked it and wanted to end the series
with it. That would explain why it appeared in the S4 finale, when
they weren't sure if they'd get another season. I can't say I
noticed it recurring in S5 except in the finale, which again I
attributed to Sorbo wanting to go out on it.

--
Jim Heckman

The Allfarva is also Unifarva.

Jan 6, 2008, 2:34:57 AM1/6/08
don't know. my vcr is fried [it only plays in black and white] and all
my andromedas are on tapes.

x...@y.zzz

Jan 11, 2008, 1:06:42 PM1/11/08
On 5/19/2005, someone going by the name of "Dickison" posted the
following (copied and pasted) about that beautiful music.

>In the last episode of season 4, The Dissonant Interval, the credits list
>Catherine Thomas as the soprano singing the beautiful “Arkology Theme”,
>which was also used in the series finale. But on the Official Andromeda
>web site there is an interview with the composer that states the
>following:
>Jeremy Horowitz: I'm not sure what you call it, but colloquially, out on
>the Internet, the music from the very end of the Season Four finale is
>known as the "Arkology Theme." Do you know the one I mean?
>Matthew McCauley: I sure do.
>Jeremy: It's so popular that one fan took it upon himself to actually
>transcribe it...(hands Matthew the sheet music)
>Matthew: (laughing and smiling) That's amazing! How about that...that's
>wonderful.
>Jeremy: A lot of people are curious whether the Arkology theme is
>completely original or whether it is some other piece of music?
>Matthew: No, it's completely original, and I'm really happy with the
>response to it, because it was a bold suggestion by the producers to
>approach it from such a grand perspective. The result is gratifying; it is
>intended to evoke the feeling of a requiem, it has quasi-classical,
>neo-romantic, it has a number of different elements to it. There are a lot
>of people who thought that it is actually Mozart's Requiem.
>Jeremy: There was a lot of speculation about that.
>Matthew: It's more modern than that, but its goal is to evoke that kind of
>feeling, of a noble lineage.
>Jeremy: Are the lyrics on that English, Latin or some other language?
>Matthew: No, it's entirely made up. It's just vowel sounds that were
>assembled to sound word-like, to give a feeling as if there was a message
>being conveyed, but it's entirely fabricated.
>Jeremy: Did you have a singer come in, or was that sampled digitally as
>well?
>Matthew: Yes, a singer named Margie Fester came in for that.
>
>I did an internet search and found on this site
>http://www.glendale.k12.ca.us/publications/StaffOGram/June%202,%202004.pdf:
>
>Margie Fester, Administrative Secretary at Fremont Elementary and an
>outstanding singer, recorded an original song for the Channel 5 series
>“Andromeda,” which aired in two parts during May........
>
>I found this contact information for the school, so I’m emailing them to
>see if they can pass the message on to her that she has thousands of fans
>that want a recording of her music and need to know how to get it.
>
>Email to: pub...@gusd.net
>FAX to 818-548-9041
>Send correspondence to:
>Glendale Unified School District
>223 N. Jackson St.
>Glendale, CA 91206
>Attn: Margie Fester
>
>Now the question remains, who is Catherine Thomas and why was she listed
>as the Soprano if Margie Fester was the singer?

Don't you just LOVE the Internet?

x...@y.zzz

"Politicians are conniving, wheeler-dealing scum. Don't have a fit of morals over them;
they wouldn't, over you."
--Harry Pearce, "MI-5"

Ivor Jones

Jan 11, 2008, 1:27:47 PM1/11/08
<x...@y.zzz> wrote in message
: On 5/19/2005, someone going by the name of "Dickison"

: posted the
: following (copied and pasted) about that beautiful music.

[snip]

: : I did an internet search and found on this site

: :
http://www.glendale.k12.ca.us/publications/StaffOGram/June%202,%202004.pdf:
: :
: : Margie Fester, Administrative Secretary at Fremont
: : Elementary and an outstanding singer, recorded an
: : original song for the Channel 5 series "Andromeda,"
: : which aired in two parts during May........
: :
: : I found this contact information for the school, so I'm
: : emailing them to see if they can pass the message on to
: : her that she has thousands of fans that want a
: : recording of her music and need to know how to get it.

Thanks a lot for that info, I just looked it up.

: : Now the question remains, who is Catherine Thomas and

: : why was she listed as the Soprano if Margie Fester was
: : the singer?

Maybe it was she who was seen "singing" on screen in the S4 finale..?

: Don't you just LOVE the Internet?

Indeed..!

Ivor

m...@privacy.net

Jan 15, 2008, 6:56:52 PM1/15/08
" Upon that I will say that after that generation will come
another generation, and so on ever in succession.

Solomon and the King are spoken of in the second book of Chronicles as if
they were two different persons. I will say that they were two.

652. Particular Types.--A double law, double tables of the law, a double
temple, a double captivity.

653. Types.--The prophets prophesied by symbols of a girdle, a beard, and
burnt hair, etc.

654. Difference between dinner and supper.

In God the word does not differ from the intention, for He is true; nor the
word from the effect, for He is powerful; nor the means from the effect, for
He is wise. St. Bernard, Ultimo Sermo in Missam.

St. Augustine, City of God, v. 10. This rule is general. God can do
everything, except those things which, if He could do, He would not be
almighty, as dying, being deceived, lying, etc.

Several Evangelists for the confirmation of the truth; their difference
useful.

The Eucharist after Lord's Supper. Truth after the type.

The ruin of Jerusalem, a type of the ruin of the world, forty years after
the death of Jesus. "I know not," as a man, or as an ambassador (Mark 13:32;
Matthew 24:36.)

Jesus condemned by the Jews and the Gentiles.

The Jews and the Gentiles typified by the two sons. St. Augustine City of
God, xx. 29.

655. The six ages, the six Fathers of the six ages, the six wonders at the
beginning of the six ages, the six mornings at the beginning of the six
ages.

656. Adam forma futuri.117 The six days to form the one, the six ages to
form the other. The six days, which Moses represents for the formation of
Adam, are only the picture of the six ages to form Jesus Christ and the
Church. If Adam had not sinned, and Jesus Christ had not come, there had
been only one covenant, only one age of men, and the creation would have
been represented as accomplished at one single time.

657. Types.--The Jewish and Egyptian peoples

judic...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2016, 10:01:19 AM10/30/16
The song/theme was written by the musical directors & sung by Margie Fester a classical soprano. The Woman given the credits (Catherine Thomas is just acting!! even though she is named as Soprano!)
Someone has transposed the music, I am currently bashing it out on the piano in my head as I LOVE the sound. There is no real language, just some vowels to "sound" authentic.

neal...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2017, 11:25:21 PM11/20/17
Does Anyone at all know if any of these files referenced can be located? The links are all dead.

I just rewatched, and I'd LOVE a copy of the song, done by ANYONE?!!!