A. I. 2021 season.

The_LA_Flash

May 18, 2021, 1:39:52 PM5/18/21
I've been a few shows behind on my A.I. watching this season so I decided to sit down and buzz though a couple of them yesterday. I was SHOCKED Ava didn't make it to the top 12, I would have thought for sure she was going to make the top 5 easy. It was good to see Gunn come back from last season, I really liked him. The thing that stood out to me about A.I. bringing back the kids from last season that didn't win was they that didn't invite the winner back just so she could perform 1 song on the big stage; I know they couldn't give her a chance to win a spot since she won last season but I would have at least thought they could had her there, which makes me wonder if they did invite her but there was some drama that happened with her so they ended up pulling the invite. I'm still watching the show that they did at Disney World, I found it funny that they put big Willie Spence on the Disney African safari, you would think with all the stuff going on today someone at A.I. would say, "maybe that isn't the best idea, let's have Willie and his family do another Disney attraction instead for the show" I'm just saying....

Larc

May 19, 2021, 9:40:54 AM5/19/21
On Tue, 18 May 2021 10:39:51 -0700 (PDT), The_LA_Flash <annscooki...@gmail.com>
wrote:

| I've been a few shows behind on my A.I. watching this season so I decided to sit down and buzz though a couple of them yesterday. I was SHOCKED Ava didn't make it to the top 12, I would have thought for sure she was going to make the top 5 easy. It was good to see Gunn come back from last season, I really liked him. The thing that stood out to me about A.I. bringing back the kids from last season that didn't win was they that didn't invite the winner back just so she could perform 1 song on the big stage; I know they couldn't give her a chance to win a spot since she won last season but I would have at least thought they could had her there, which makes me wonder if they did invite her but there was some drama that happened with her so they ended up pulling the invite. I'm still watching the show that they did at Disney World, I found it funny that they put big Willie Spence on the Disney African safari, you would think with all the stuff going on today someone at A.I. would say,
| "maybe that isn't the best idea, let's have Willie and his family do another Disney attraction instead for the show" I'm just saying....

I've honestly become more than a little disgusted with Idol. The 3 left are OK, but
all of my favorites are gone. The only possible winner remaining who I think could
see some success is Chayce. His Idol winner song went to #1 overall on iTunes. The
songs of 2 who have been eliminated (I won't say who since your viewing may not have
got there yet) both went higher than those of the other 2 winner possibilities.

Three hours of it on Sunday night and it's over until next season.

Larc

The_LA_Flash

May 26, 2021, 3:07:21 PM5/26/21
On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 6:40:54 AM UTC-7, Larc wrote:

> | "maybe that isn't the best idea, let's have Willie and his family do another Disney attraction instead for the show" I'm just saying....
> I've honestly become more than a little disgusted with Idol. The 3 left are OK, but
> all of my favorites are gone. The only possible winner remaining who I think could
> see some success is Chayce. His Idol winner song went to #1 overall on iTunes. The
> songs of 2 who have been eliminated (I won't say who since your viewing may not have
> got there yet) both went higher than those of the other 2 winner possibilities.
>
> Three hours of it on Sunday night and it's over until next season.
>
> Larc

Thank you for the information Larc, I had no idea how their singles were doing.
My Random thoughts on the show....
I finally got around to watching the final show of the season. I had mixed emotions about Casey getting the boot because I really liked her but after she sung "Live Wire" again, I said "that's it she just killed any chance of winning" and I was right; she murdered that song in a bad way. The last time I saw a female screw up a rock song that bad on A.I. you have to go alllllllll the way back to season 1 when Ryan Starr was on the show. Simon had a phrase whenever a kid screwed up a song like that he called it "a bad high school performance."
When it came down to the top 3 I wanted Willie or Grace to win so I knew that meant Chayce would end of winning. I have nothing against Chayce as a person he seems like a nice guy, I just don't like country music.
A.I. wiped Caleb right off the show, like he was never there not even appearing on any of the A.I. highlights of the show, talk about screwing up your life at age 16.
I wonder if A.I. reached out to Ruben Studdard to appear on the final show, I would have like to see him sing a song with Willie.
For years Southern California did NOT have an A.I. winner but now 2 of the last 3 winners have come from Southern Cal.

Larc

May 27, 2021, 8:49:42 AM5/27/21
On Wed, 26 May 2021 12:07:20 -0700 (PDT), The_LA_Flash <annscooki...@gmail.com>
wrote:

| Thank you for the information Larc, I had no idea how their singles were doing.

YW!

| My Random thoughts on the show....
| I finally got around to watching the final show of the season. I had mixed emotions about Casey getting the boot because I really liked her but after she sung "Live Wire" again, I said "that's it she just killed any chance of winning" and I was right; she murdered that song in a bad way. The last time I saw a female screw up a rock song that bad on A.I. you have to go alllllllll the way back to season 1 when Ryan Starr was on the show. Simon had a phrase whenever a kid screwed up a song like that he called it "a bad high school performance."
| When it came down to the top 3 I wanted Willie or Grace to win so I knew that meant Chayce would end of winning. I have nothing against Chayce as a person he seems like a nice guy, I just don't like country music.
| A.I. wiped Caleb right off the show, like he was never there not even appearing on any of the A.I. highlights of the show, talk about screwing up your life at age 16.
| I wonder if A.I. reached out to Ruben Studdard to appear on the final show, I would have like to see him sing a song with Willie.
| For years Southern California did NOT have an A.I. winner but now 2 of the last 3 winners have come from Southern Cal.

There was one performance scheduled that never came off. Arthur Gunn was to sing the
duet with Cheryl Crow, but refused to leave his trailer only 5 minutes before the
show. They literally had to pull Graham DeFranco out of the audience to replace
Arthur.

Details here:
https://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-finale-arthur-gunn-quit-5-mins-before-showtime.htm

Larc

The_LA_Flash

May 27, 2021, 11:11:02 AM5/27/21
On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 5:49:42 AM UTC-7, Larc wrote:

> There was one performance scheduled that never came off. Arthur Gunn was to sing the
> duet with Cheryl Crow, but refused to leave his trailer only 5 minutes before the
> show. They literally had to pull Graham DeFranco out of the audience to replace
> Arthur.
>
> Details here:
> https://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-finale-arthur-gunn-quit-5-mins-before-showtime.htm
>
> Larc

SAY WHAT???? You could have given me 100 guesses "which A.I. kid refused to take the stage at the last minute" and I would NOT have guessed him. I'm disappointed to see that story since I've been to Nepal 2 times and those people have been humble and good to me.

Zob

May 28, 2021, 3:11:57 PM5/28/21
<annscooki...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The thing that stood out to me about A.I. bringing back the kids from last season that didn't win was they that didn't invite the winner back just so she could perform 1 song on the big stage; I know they couldn't give her a chance to win a spot since she won last season but I would have at least thought they could had her there, which makes me wonder if they did invite her but there was some drama that happened with her so they ended up pulling the invite.

That's a really good question, one that I was wondering also. Just
Sam was such a likeable, popular personality and singer last season
that I was gobsmacked that they didn't invite her back to sing in the
finale, maybe promote a record like they've done with so many others.

But it was more than that even. I don't think they even mentioned her
as last year's winner although they mentioned several other
contestants from the past couple of seasons (like Alejandro).
Something must have happened because this is just plain weird. I
wonder what the story is.

Zob

May 28, 2021, 3:13:36 PM5/28/21
On Thu, 27 May 2021 08:49:38 -0400, Larc <la...@notmyaddress.com>

>There was one performance scheduled that never came off. Arthur Gunn was to sing the
>duet with Cheryl Crow, but refused to leave his trailer only 5 minutes before the
>show. They literally had to pull Graham DeFranco out of the audience to replace
>Arthur.

Right... and that was as bizarre as the show not having last year's
winner, Just Sam, back to sing in the finale this season.

The_LA_Flash

May 28, 2021, 5:23:11 PM5/28/21
On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 12:13:36 PM UTC-7, Zob wrote:

> Right... and that was as bizarre as the show not having last year's
> winner, Just Sam, back to sing in the finale this season.

Welcome back to the group Zob, it's good to know you made it through COVID, thanks for posting.

Larc

May 29, 2021, 11:11:07 AM5/29/21
On the face of it, not even mentioning Just Sam seems inexcusable. But I think there
was a lot going on. The fact that main showrunner Trish Kinane bailed (or was pushed
out) before the season was over was likely involved. Wonder if bringing back S18
contestants was her idea? That certainly blew up in Idol producers' faces, from
viewer grief they got all the way to Arthur Gunn blowing them off for the finale. If
things were going on, I expect somebody will leak them before long.

Larc

Michael Falkner

May 29, 2021, 1:03:54 PM5/29/21
On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 12:13:36 PM UTC-7, Zob wrote:
You think that might be because of Rethuglipig backlash?

Mike

Zob

Jun 10, 2021, 2:27:40 AM6/10/21
Thanks. I still check on the newsgroup from time to time.

Larc

Jun 10, 2021, 12:42:22 PM6/10/21
It was great while it lasted and I still miss many former posters, but this group now
gets posts so infrequently and from so few people that I'm wondering if there's still
any good reason to bother with it. My total newsgroup list is now down to 4 and only
1 (alt.obituaries) gets frequent posts. And for the most part, I never see anything
worthwhile there that I don't already know. Almost no ISPs offer Usenet anymore, and
it clearly has one foot in the grave and the other sinking in. Also, I'm frankly
getting rather tired of American Idol. It's not what it used to be and probably
won't survive past next season anyway.

Larc

Zob

Jun 14, 2021, 3:24:23 AM6/14/21
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 12:42:18 -0400, Larc <la...@notmyaddress.com>
wrote:
Yeah, most of my former AI friends are on Facebook and I keep in touch
with several of them. I guess that's why not many people post on
newsgroups anymore; it's king of obsolete with all the social media
platforms. As much as it kills me to say it, Bob Rudd was right when
he predicted the demise of newsgroups.

Robin Miller

Jun 14, 2021, 3:09:19 PM6/14/21
As a long time lurker who used to post occasionally during this group's
heyday, I have to say that I am surprised at how this group has melted
away. It used to be such a large, thriving community. Most of my other
newsgroups have also faded away, but this is one I thought would
continue. However, the move to ABC has been jarring, and I really don't
like the new format.

--Robin

The_LA_Flash

Jun 17, 2021, 11:11:28 AM6/17/21
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 12:09:19 PM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:

> As a long time lurker who used to post occasionally during this group's
> heyday, I have to say that I am surprised at how this group has melted
> away. It used to be such a large, thriving community. Most of my other
> newsgroups have also faded away, but this is one I thought would
> continue. However, the move to ABC has been jarring, and I really don't
> like the new format.
>
> --Robin

Don't forget one of the reasons this group "has melted away" is because 2 well liked people in this group died, Cheri and Judy, so as they went so the other people slowly faded away...

Robin Miller

Jun 17, 2021, 9:22:20 PM6/17/21
Oh no. I knew about Judy. That was so sad. I didn't know about Cheri.

--Robin

Ron C

Jun 17, 2021, 11:22:39 PM6/17/21
Ah, seems our little (dysfunctional) has dwindled a lot.
For a real blast from the past, here's a list of players
I found for Itoshi's bragging rights game from 2010
[Wonder how many are still lurking here?]
~~
ed.
Lesmond
eddiegirl
Cheri
Micki
fmomoon
Vandar
909
Callen
Shep Hellerman
Giggles
Nathan Sanders
chrisf
Ryan
Judy Haffner
Cassie
karenftx
Larc
Kittyn
Peter Lawrence
Salad
Tin@
Susan
Sanna Atai
Laurel
Ar Q
Elton Dumont
SLGreg
Itoshi
Sandi
zob
Tim Hall
CoasterKev!
tino
Bob Rudd
Suzanne D.
~~
--
==
Later...

Zob

Jun 18, 2021, 1:13:39 AM6/18/21
Wow! The good 'ol days!

Larc

Jun 18, 2021, 9:24:25 AM6/18/21
On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 23:22:35 -0400, Ron C <r.c...@verizon.net> wrote:

Reading that list of names sure brings back some memories of fun days. I miss them.
Those who were here mainly for American Idol info probably wouldn't have had much
reason to stick around given what ABC has done with the show. But so much more was
going on in this group. Maybe most others who lost Usenet on their ISPs didn't know
about free newsgroup servers such as Eternal September.

Larc