"American Idol" alum Clay Aiken announces bid for Congress

Ubiquitous

Jan 11, 2022, 1:58:58 PM1/11/22
Clay Aiken is running for Congress again in North Carolina, this time in a
more liberal district. The former American Idol star previously ran in 2014
but was defeated in the general election by Republican incumbent Renee
Ellmers.

Aiken, 43, shared a video on social media and joked how he looks "a little
different these days" than when the world first met him in 2003.

"Back in those days, I was a bright-eyed kid from North Carolina on my way to
becoming a special-ed teacher, then, that little singing competition changed
everything for me. That was almost 20 years ago, can you believe that?" the
Raleigh native began. Aiken finished second on Idol behind Ruben Studdard. He
returned to reality television in 2012, appearing on The Apprentice with
former President Donald Trump.

"A lot has changed for me too. I came home, I came out, I became a father.
These days, my life looks a lot more like yours than Justin Bieber's, that I
can promise you," he continued. "But one thing that has never changed for me
is how much I love my home state. North Carolina is the place where I
discovered first that I had a voice and that it was a voice that could be
used for more than singing."

Aiken slammed "backwards-a** policies" pushed by conservatives in his state
"like the voter suppression bills and the bigoted bathroom bill." He
denounced controversial figures Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene and
Colorado Rep. Lauren Boebert.

"These folks are taking up all the oxygen in the room and I gotta tell ya, I
am sick of it," he said. "As Democrats, we've gotta get better about speaking
up and using our voices 'cause those folks ain't quieting down any time soon.
That's why I'm running for Congress. Here in this community that raised me
and where I first discovered my voice. We, as level-headed, open-minded and
compassionate Democrats, we have always been the party of all Americans ...
we've got to continue to be that."

Aiken asked people to donate to help "elect the south's first gay
congressman" and pointed Twitter users to his website.

"Clay is a strong Democrat running for Congress to give a voice to those who
want to bring sanity and civility back to the political conversation. He
knows he can't change Washington by himself," his website reads. "But he has
also learned that he has a voice that makes people listen, and he'll use it
for the people of North Carolina's 6th District to deliver on needed
progressive policies — from stopping climate change, systemic racism, income
inequality and gun violence, to securing voting rights, free health care and
a woman's right to choose."

Meghan McCain is among those who reacted to the news on Twitter, writing, "We
love you!"

--
Let's go Brandon!

anim8rfsk

Jan 11, 2022, 3:19:02 PM1/11/22
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> Clay Aiken is running for Congress again in North Carolina, this time in a
> more liberal district. The former American Idol star previously ran in 2014
> but was defeated in the general election by Republican incumbent Renee
> Ellmers.

I don’t give a damn about him, I want to hear about Antonella Barba. Did
she get out of prison yet?

> "Clay is a strong Democrat running for Congress to give a voice to those who
> want to bring sanity and civility back to the political conversation.

He can be one of the other but he can’t be both.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

A Friend

Jan 11, 2022, 3:51:18 PM1/11/22
In article
<37853518.663624959.26...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> > Clay Aiken is running for Congress again in North Carolina, this time in a
> > more liberal district. The former American Idol star previously ran in 2014
> > but was defeated in the general election by Republican incumbent Renee
> > Ellmers.
> >

> I donšt give a damn about him, I want to hear about Antonella Barba. Did
> she get out of prison yet?

No. She got three years and nine months in Nov 2019, but I don't know
how much time you can get off for good behavior, or if she's behaved in
a goodly fashion in the first place. BTW Kansas is pissed at her, too,
over marijuana.

Rhino

Jan 11, 2022, 5:27:04 PM1/11/22
On 2022-01-11 3:19 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>> Clay Aiken is running for Congress again in North Carolina, this time in a
>> more liberal district. The former American Idol star previously ran in 2014
>> but was defeated in the general election by Republican incumbent Renee
>> Ellmers.
>>

> I don’t give a damn about him, I want to hear about Antonella Barba. Did
> she get out of prison yet?

Who?

>> "Clay is a strong Democrat running for Congress to give a voice to those who
>> want to bring sanity and civility back to the political conversation.
>
> He can be one of the other but he can’t be both.

Excellent point! +1000

--
Rhino

Larc

Jan 11, 2022, 6:32:19 PM1/11/22
On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 13:58:55 -0500, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

| Clay Aiken is running for Congress again in North Carolina, this time in a
| more liberal district. The former American Idol star previously ran in 2014
| but was defeated in the general election by Republican incumbent Renee
| Ellmers.

He has to get through a primary first. At least one Democrat who's actually
qualified will likely run since that district includes the University of NC. I can't
imagine educated people voting for a jerk like Clay to represent them.

Larc

anim8rfsk

Jan 11, 2022, 6:33:18 PM1/11/22
A Friend <no...@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <37853518.663624959.26...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>>> Clay Aiken is running for Congress again in North Carolina, this time in a
>>> more liberal district. The former American Idol star previously ran in 2014
>>> but was defeated in the general election by Republican incumbent Renee
>>> Ellmers.
>>>

>> I don¹t give a damn about him, I want to hear about Antonella Barba. Did
>> she get out of prison yet?
>

> No. She got three years and nine months in Nov 2019, but I don't know
> how much time you can get off for good behavior, or if she's behaved in
> a goodly fashion in the first place. BTW Kansas is pissed at her, too,
> over marijuana.

Sheesh. Move to Colorado, work for organized crime.

anim8rfsk

Jan 11, 2022, 6:33:19 PM1/11/22

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/918ab5bf52d799d1d9f52af3f79795a779af0567/c=0-216-1397-1005/local/-/media/2015/05/11/NJGroup/AsburyPark/635669483377963357-Barba2.jpg?auto=webp&format=pjpg&width=1200

https://youtu.be/S8P-Vn0mX9U

Rhino

Jan 11, 2022, 8:20:53 PM1/11/22
On 2022-01-11 6:33 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Rhino <no_offlin...@example.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> I don’t give a damn about him, I want to hear about Antonella Barba. Did
>>> she get out of prison yet?
>>>
>> Who?
>
> https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/918ab5bf52d799d1d9f52af3f79795a779af0567/c=0-216-1397-1005/local/-/media/2015/05/11/NJGroup/AsburyPark/635669483377963357-Barba2.jpg?auto=webp&format=pjpg&width=1200
>
> https://youtu.be/S8P-Vn0mX9U

Thanks; I never heard of her before seeing this thread. Then again, I've
never watched a single episode of American Idol either....

--
Rhino

anim8rfsk

Jan 11, 2022, 11:04:33 PM1/11/22
Rhino <no_offlin...@example.com> wrote:
> On 2022-01-11 6:33 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Rhino <no_offlin...@example.com> wrote:

>>> Who?
>>
>> https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/918ab5bf52d799d1d9f52af3f79795a779af0567/c=0-216-1397-1005/local/-/media/2015/05/11/NJGroup/AsburyPark/635669483377963357-Barba2.jpg?auto=webp&format=pjpg&width=1200
>>
>> https://youtu.be/S8P-Vn0mX9U
>>
> Thanks; I never heard of her before seeing this thread. Then again, I've
> never watched a single episode of American Idol either....

It’s one of those things I watched with mom, like Survivor

Ubiquitous

Jan 12, 2022, 11:21:57 AM1/12/22
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>> Clay Aiken is running for Congress again in North Carolina, this time in
>> a more liberal district. The former American Idol star previously ran in
>> 2014 but was defeated in the general election by Republican incumbent
>> Renee Ellmers.
>
>I don't give a damn about him, I want to hear about Antonella Barba. Did
>she get out of prison yet?

Who is she and why is she in prison?

>> "Clay is a strong Democrat running for Congress to give a voice to those
>> who want to bring sanity and civility back to the political conversation.
>
>He can be one of the other but he can't be both.

++

Ubiquitous

Jan 12, 2022, 11:24:53 AM1/12/22
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Rhino <no_offlin...@example.com> wrote:

>>> I don't give a damn about him, I want to hear about Antonella Barba. Did
>>> she get out of prison yet?
>>>
>> Who?
>
>https://youtu.be/S8P-Vn0mX9U

Can you give a quick sumamry for thos os us who don't want to watch a
YouTube news clip?

Ubiquitous

Jan 12, 2022, 11:26:26 AM1/12/22
supe...@super70s.invalid wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> "Clay is a strong Democrat running for Congress to give a voice to those
>>> who want to bring sanity and civility back to the political conversation.
>>
>> He can be one of the other but he can't be both.
>
>Just because Republicans have abandoned sanity and civility doesn't mean
>everyone has.

You misspelled "Democrats".
HTH!

anim8rfsk

Jan 12, 2022, 12:40:10 PM1/12/22
Various drug offenses. Synthetic opioids, marijuana, she actually just pled
guilty and accepted a three-year sentence. I can’t imagine how cold they
must’ve had her that she didn’t even fight it. But there are no follow up
articles that say she ever actually reported to prison or if so got out. I
found one report that she was writing a tell-all book about her time with
American idol while she was locked up but I don’t know if she was actually
locked up when that report was written or if that was just her intention.
If she went to prison right after the sentencing her three years would just
about be up now. That’s why I asked if she ever got out of prison.

She was a super cute American idol contestant back around the time of Clay
Aiken which is why this made me think of her. She was scandalized by having
nude photos leaked of her although if you ever actually look at them it’s
her goofing around in the fountain in a T-shirt. Further scandal in sued
because they didn’t kick her out whereas they have just kicked out somebody
else who is much less attractive and got caught in some porn or something.
I have no idea why any of this shocked anybody. Except the other person was
black so I’m sure they were screaming racism. Apparently she’s claiming
that she fell into drug trafficking because she was bummed out about losing
idol but that was closing in on 20 years ago now so you’d think she’d get
over it.

It was reported upstream here that another jurisdiction is interested in
her on the marijuana charges.