American Idol Duets Week (3/22/2021) RECAP - Adapted from MJ's Blog

Zob

Mar 23, 2021, 11:59:11 PM3/23/21
Ryan Seacrest mans a big board with the singers’ photos tacked up.
He’ll call a name, the singer will pluck their card off the board,
turn it over and find their duet partner. A bunch of people grab their
cards. Now it’s time to rehearse.
Liahona Olayan & Laila Mach (Machhona)

Liahona is still upset after her brother got eliminated last night.
She is duetting with someone outside her family for the first time.
The judges will be roaming around the rehearsal spaces to help out the
singers. Katy tries to console Lihana. She suggests that she sing FOR
her brother.

Performance: Stay by Rihanna – Liahona plays electric piano. The two
have very similar voices. Laila seems way more into it, more
connected. Lionel and Katy are concerned that Liahona is not allowing
herself to fight for the moment. They chalk it up to immaturity. “Do
you want to be here,” Katy asks. “You’re not showing it.” She gives
Liahona a BIG TOUGH LOVE LECTURE. She calls her selfish, “You took
this whole ship down.” Ooooh. A commercial break, before Katy lectures
some more, accusing her of sabotaging the pair.

Results: Nevertheless, Liahona and Laila both advance
Cameron Allen & Graham Defranco (Grahameron)

Luke mentors the pair, who have chosen “Watermelon Sugar” by Harry
Styles. He advises them to have fun on the chorus. “Song choice, Song
Choice, Song Choice,” says Luke

Performance: Watermelon Sugar by Harry Styles – Cameron’s voice is
very watery, while Graham has more heft. The harmonies are pretty
terrible.

Results: Cameron is eliminated, Graham advances

Beane & Kari Erickson (Dean & Carrie)

Katy wonders why the two chose “Watermelon Sugar.” Beane says they
wanted something upbeat and fun, and they “landed on a doozy.”

Performance: Watermelon Sugar by Harry Styles – We’re seeing Kari for
the first time, and she’s a little pitchy but jazzy. Katy thinks the
two didn’t deliver the song the way they were “supposed to.”

Results: Kari is eliminated, Beane is through to the next round
Right about now, Katy is %100 percent fed up with “Watermelon Sugar.”
Anthony Guzman & Adriel Carrion (Double AA)

Lionel comes to visit the boys. He has good tips, telling them to pay
attention to the other when they sing. And that it’s OK to walk around
the stage. These things seem kind of obvious, don’t they? But the
singers probably need to hear it. Apparently the two are opposites,
with Anthony the kilt wearing viking being the “loud one.”

In case you were wondering, Bobby’s role as mentor hasn’t been totally
usurped. He works with the pair during a later rehearsal of “Everybody
Wants to Rule the World” by Tears for Fears. “I’m so bored with this
version,” Bobby says. He suggests that they change their song. OH NO
THEY CHOOSE THE KATY HATED WATERMELON SUGAR. CHOICE.

Performance: Watermelon Sugar by Harry Styles – Adriel makes weird
faces when he sings. But he’s more dynamic than Anthony. Finally,
however, the judges don’t mind the song choice. It’s definitely the
liveliest version of the song so far. The judges are dancing along.

Results: Anthony and Adriel advance to the next round

Madison Watkins & Deshawn Goncalves

Madison and Deshawn gush that the judges could not have made a better
choice putting them together. They are now BFFs!

Performance: Stay by Rihanna – Deshawn has a very pretty voice, and
he sings with restraint. I like it. Madison is extremely powerful, but
also has a beautiful head voice. Nice harmonies. This is a good
performance. The two obviously have chemistry

Results: Madison and Deshawn both advance

Claudia Conway & Hannah Everhart (Rollin on Sass)

Hannah is NOT HAPPY WITH THE PAIRING. The producers are literally
trolling, and I have to say it’s a little unfair. Hannah is from a
small Mississippi town, and probably conservative. Claudia from New
Jersey is openly anti-Trump. Things get off to a real rocky start. At
one point, Hannah goes missing, and Claudia is pissed. Hannah thought
it would be great to go “collect herself’ She’s not co-operating at
all, claiming that she doesn’t get along with people her own age. “I’m
an older soul,” she says. Katy joins them for rehearsal. She warns
them not to overshadow each other. Hannah thinks Claudia is holding
back. Katy is looking for teamwork

Performance: Sign of the Times by Harry Styles – They start off
harmonizing together. They look at each other as they sing, but the
performance feels detached. There are pitch problems too. Honestly,
this was a bad pairing from the git go. The producers did it for the
drama. Not fair to either singer. Luke thinks Hannah carried the load.
But Katy thought she could have done better. Katy wanted more solos
from the performance.

Results: Hannah advances to the next round CLAUDIA IS ELIMINATED. In
the end, the two singers part as friends. Aw. She’s going to mail a
chicken to Claudia.

Alex Miller & Emisunshine (Minor Harmony)

They play “I Walk the Line” for Luke, and he immediately tells them to
change their song. He wants to hear some big notes, and wants to push
Alex out of his comfort zone. They started workshopping another song,
but quickly changed their minds. “It just didn’t work…the timing was
off,” they both say. So Johnny Cash it is. Oh boy.

Performance: I Walk the Line by Johnny Cash – The problem with the
song–it doesn’t give them moments. It’s what the judges want. But,
actually, they both handle the song well. Emisunshine has an
interesting tone! Luke isn’t too mad in the end, but he wants Alex to
eventually throw a curveball, “pick a pop song,” he says. He’s pushing
them both to be artists. Luke appreciated Emi’s higher register.

Results: Alex and Emisunshine advance to the next round

Murphy & Lizzie O’Very (A Different Breed)

“I couldn’t tell you why they put us together,” says Murphy. Indeed,
Lizzie and her accordion comes across as the kind of uber-quirky
artist that Idol would treat as a joke. Lionel tells the two to relax
and have fun. The two have very different musical styles, but both
seem to be beaming in from another planet. That’s not a bad thing!

Performance: Dreams by Fleetwood Mac – Both take the stage in bare
feet. Hm…she sings her part in this very very high pitched head voice.
It’s not pleasant. How did she get this far, really. Murphy seems out
of his element here, far outside of his comfort zone. Props for doing
a different thing with a familiar song, though. The judges give them a
standing ovation, which I do not understand. However, it appears that
they love Murphy, thanking Lizzie for pulling him into another
direction.

Results: Murphy and Lizzie are both through to the next round.
Cassandra Coleman & Wyatt Pke (The Lass & The Lad)

The two, starstruck when Katy enters the rehearsal space, mess up
their performance a little. Katy warns Cassandra to stop talking about
her fear. Shake it off, she says. Don’t think about it. Breathe it
out. Bobby counsels Cassandra about her nerves. “Be prepared,” he
says.

Performance: Too Close by Alex Clare – Cassandra is the better
technical singer. But both are very musical. Wyatt’s voice has a ton
of personality and character. It’s odd, but the pairing works. Katy
congratulates Cassandra for overcoming her fear. Also, Wyatt supported
her, which Katy appreciated.

Results: Cassandra and Wyatt both advance.

Monica Leah & Miguela (The Deuce Formula)

“Titanium” by Sia & David Guetta. The harmonies are off key. The
judges do not look happy. Lionel calls it a “duel” and that’s what you
don’t want to do he says. Monica and Miguela are eliminated.

Ronda Felton & Funke Lagoke (Melanated Queens)

Lionel helps the pair prepare. Ronda is feeling overwhelmed. “Get out
of your head,” Lionel advises. By the end of the night, Ronda is
crying with frustration. Funke, who has also struggled with self
confidence, comforts her.

Performance: Tell Him by Celine Dion and Barbra Streisand – Funke has
a very odd tone. I’m not sure if I like it or not. Ronda has a more
conventional sound, and she’s very good. Just a natural talent. The
harmonies are very pretty, when they aren’t pitchy! The judges can’t
agree on a result. Lionel is the tie breaker.

AS LIONEL DESCRIBES A VERY UNEVEN PERFORMANCE FUNKE DROPS TO THE
FLOOR. Luke says, “She busted her chin, ya’ll.” The ambulance siren is
heard in the distance. AND OF COURSE COMMERCIAL. The EMT’s take her to
the hospital. As Ronda bawls her eyes out, Lionel tells her that they
both are going through. “I know it was traumatic,” he says. It turns
out Funke only needs stitches.

Results: Ronda and Funke both advance to the next round.

Willie Spence & Kya Monee (Destin2Be)

Willie is a little freaked out to follow Funke and Ronda. But he’s
collected himself.

Performance: Stay by Rihanna – Willie sure loves his Rihanna. He sang
“Diamonds” for his audition. The pacing of the duet is slow. But the
judges are literally going out of their minds during this. The
audience is heard clapping throughout. I didn’t love the arrangement,
but the two connected magnificently. Both are beautiful singers.
Lionel calls it “divine.” Katy is crying. “You both are going through
with flying colors,” Lionel says.

Results: Willie & Kya both advance

Ben Dobson & Henry Thompson (The Hair Bros)

Performance: Mercy by Shawn Mendes – They truly have big hair dos. The
short snip doesn’t reveal much. Nevertheless, Ben & Henry are through
to the next round

Jazzy Rose & RE’H (Similar Opposites) – Lionel says they were put
together because they’re both “animated.” – Performance: Common by
Maren Morris – Again, another little snip. But Lionel calls them
incredible Jazzy Rose & RE’H are through to the next round.

Zach D’Onofrio & Sloan Simon (The Catie Turner Fan Club)

Sloan is a confident cheerleader. Zach is a “nerdy guy.” He says “it’s
a lot of pep for me.” In rehearsal, Bobby warns Zach not to be Sloan’s
backup singer.

Performance: “You Make my Dreams Come True” by Hall & Oates –
Interesting song choice. But I don’t think it works for Zach. He’s
really awkward in this duet. Sloan is carrying this performance,
barely. Katy thinks both singers need more experience. NO. No no no,
Zach says as the judges deliver the bad news. Sads. Zack is crying.
He’s already thinking about coming back in a few years. After two
tries, it’s likely that the American Idol ship has sailed.

Results: Zack and Sloan are both eliminated.

Chayce Beckham & Christina Daugherty (Chasin Red)

Both are happy to be paired up. Within hours, they’ve become friends.
Luke warns them not to overthink their performance. However, the last
rehearsal is tough. It’s a breakup song. They’re trying hard to bring
the difficult emotions to the surface. Maybe they are overthinking it.

Performance: July by Noah Cyrus – It sounds off at first, but when
they hit the chorus, the two find their footing. They finally find the
emotional center of the song. Luke calls the performance “very
believable” and their voices, “very unique.” Luke says Chayce has to
lean into his natural rasp and grit. He could be top 10. He didn’t
think the song choice worked for Christina. Katy thinks the two are in
love. “They don’t even know they’re in love.” Chayce cries after
Christina is eliminated, so maybe Katy is on to something.

Results: Christina is eliminated, Chayce move on to the next round.

Alec Shaw & Sadie Leigh (The Squirrley’s) – Forgetting the words!

Samantha Sharpe & Alana (Tea & Honey) – EVEN MORE FORGETTING THE
WORDS. Samantha can’t hold it together. Alana does not look pleased.
Althea Grace & Camille Lamb (Buy-One-Get-One)

Althea & Camille

Another struggling duet. Althea isn’t feeling “the click” but doesn’t
want to tell her partner that. Katy comes in to help. She asks each to
describe the other’s strengths. Katy’s counseling does help to bring
them together. But a call from Althea’s dad throws everything off. Her
sick baby daughter, who just had a liver transplant, pulled out her
feeding tube and is in the ER. She’s completely overwhelmed. The next
day, baby seems to be doing much better. Katy comforts Althea, “Your
baby won’t know how if you don’t dream.”

Performance: You Don’t Own Me by Leslie Gore – It’s hard to believe
these two were not clicking, because this performance is terrific,
from the arrangement, to the vocals to the bluesy guitar playing. They
both deserve to go through. Katy calls them salt and pepper, “The sum
of you together is better than the sum of you apart.” Katy adds
“That’s what Queens do.” AND THEN, “Can you imagine if Taylor and I
worked together, what we could do?” Ha. All the entertainment sites
will run with that as a headline.

Results: Althea & Camille are through to the next round
Hunter Metts & Ava August (Ten-OC)

Luke says they both are talented in their lanes, but they shouldn’t
forget to “showbizz” it up a bit. He warns them not to stay in the
“safe zone.” It’s advice he seems to give all the singers. “I want to
see you challenge yourself.”

Performance: Dancing on My Own by Robyn
– The two deliver a delicate and emotional rendition of the song. It’s
full of regret and sadness.
(Zob's Comment: DUH, this is not Robyn's version. It's Calum Scott's
version that was an internation smash hit)

It’s hard to believe Ava is only a teen. The judges insist they played
it safe. Eh. This song doesn’t need big notes,

Results: Nevertheless, Hunter & Ava advance to the next round.
Grace Kinstler & Alyssa Wray (The BBG’s)

The show ends with two powerhouse singers performing together. Lionel
is looking for them to finesse their performances. In other words,
don’t turn it into a yell-a-thon. The two click right away. They won’t
overthink it. The plan is to trust the gut.

Performance: Grenade by Bruno Mars – The two give each other enough
space for the other to shine. But when it’s time to come together,
they do. They don’t try to outsing each other. They hit one big
magnificent note together. Pretty sure this is what the judges were
talking about, when they urged singers to look for that moment, to go
out on a limb and take risks. These gals do not hold back Bravo. Katy
snatches HER OWN WIG. Heh.

Results: Grace and Alyssa are through to the next round.

Larc

Mar 24, 2021, 8:58:47 AM3/24/21
On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 23:59:08 -0400, Zob <zob...@yahoo.com> wrote:

| Ryan Seacrest mans a big board with the singers’ photos tacked up.
| He’ll call a name, the singer will pluck their card off the board,
| turn it over and find their duet partner. A bunch of people grab their
| cards. Now it’s time to rehearse.

Judging by the talent going through so far, this is shaping up to be a fantastic
season. If everything plays out right, the entire Top 10 could be better than the
winners in some past seasons.

The Idol Pad has come out with a new Top 24 list, including the name of one
contestant who is confirmed as having dropped out and been replaced. This list is
apparently the result of their own digging rather than from a source that turned out
to be suspect, as was the case with their initial one.

For anybody who's interested...

SPOILERS - http://www.theidolpad.com/ - SPOILERS

Scan down to the 3rd post. Contestants for Showcase performance nights and a
Showcase song list (no contestant names linked to songs so far) are posts 1 & 2.

Larc

Zob

Mar 26, 2021, 9:41:42 AM3/26/21
On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 08:58:43 -0400, Larc <la...@notmyaddress.com>
wrote:
So Larc, do you have any favorites yet?

Larc

Mar 26, 2021, 8:16:23 PM3/26/21
On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 09:41:39 -0400, Zob <zob...@yahoo.com> wrote:

| So Larc, do you have any favorites yet?

Many of them so far, but no single favorite yet. Among the girls, I like Alanis
Sophia, Alyssa Wray, Ava August, Casey Bishop, Cassandra Coleman and Grace Kinstler.
The guys include DeShawn Goncalves, Hunter Metts, Murphy, Willie Spence and Wyatt
Pike. I may have to add Chayce Beckham after seeing his duet performance last Monday
night. Beane (Brennan Hepler) is good, but he's obviously so tailor-made for
Broadway that his performance area is narrowed.

Any particular standouts for you so far?

Larc

Zob

Mar 26, 2021, 10:15:55 PM3/26/21
On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 20:16:19 -0400, Larc <la...@notmyaddress.com>
wrote:
Most seasons I've had a clear favorite by this point in the
competition. But so far in this one I don't. As you said there are a
lot of good singers. But having said that, I was pretty blown away by
Grace Kinsler in her duet.