OT to Jojoz

1 view

Chocolic

Apr 3, 2002, 11:43:56 PM4/3/02
And everybody else that drinks coffee while fooling around on this ng! Turn
your sound up.

http://www.flowgo.com/greetings/A_Cup_Of_Joy/A_Cup_Of_Joy.swf

Every9man

Apr 3, 2002, 11:54:33 PM4/3/02
>From: "Chocolic" cr.hat...@nospam.att.net
>Date: Wed, Apr 3, 2002 11:43 PM
It's great. How did you find it? Are there any more siinging ones?

barbara

tiny dancer

Apr 4, 2002, 12:05:45 AM4/4/02

"Chocolic" <cr.hat...@nospam.att.net> wrote in message

Love Three Dog Night! :-) Thought he even looked a bit like Chuck Negron.
;-)

td

Jojoz

Apr 4, 2002, 12:10:30 AM4/4/02

"Chocolic" <cr.hat...@nospam.att.net> wrote in message

Haha! that is SO cute .....thanks! I was surprised you remember how much I
adore coffee!

Jojoz

Linda Griffith

Apr 4, 2002, 12:25:14 AM4/4/02
"tiny dancer" <tinyda...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Chocolic" <cr.hat...@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
> > And everybody else that drinks coffee while fooling around on this ng!
> Turn
> > your sound up.
> >
> > http://www.flowgo.com/greetings/A_Cup_Of_Joy/A_Cup_Of_Joy.swf

Hey! I wanted to send this to my mother-in-law, but when I clicked on "Send
this", nothing happened. Can you give me a hint as to how to send it to
other people?

TIA.

Linda

tiny dancer

Apr 4, 2002, 12:26:55 AM4/4/02

"Linda Griffith" <grif...@charter.net> wrote in message

I just clicked up top where it does the 'forward' thingie. Have you got
that on your screen??

td

Linda Griffith

Apr 4, 2002, 12:31:56 AM4/4/02
"Jojoz" <jojozsd@[nospam]hotmail.com> wrote in message

I bet I've got you beat, Jojoz! I drink three pots of coffee a day. (I
make mine strong, but I can't handle that Starbucks sludge...tastes to me as
if it's been on the burner for a couple of days.)

(My doctor, in fussing at me about smoking, asked if I drink coffee. I
said, "Yes, three pots a day." He had no comment; I guess he thought I said
three *cups* a day.)

Linda

Chocolic

Apr 4, 2002, 12:38:30 AM4/4/02

"Linda Griffith" <grif...@charter.net> wrote in message
Highlight the address, right click, copy. Then in the body of the email,
right click and paste. Or, go to File, Send to, then choose to either send
the page or the link and it will bring up an email to send.

Chocolic

Chocolic

Apr 4, 2002, 12:41:36 AM4/4/02

"Linda Griffith" <grif...@charter.net> wrote in message

Jojoz once said when she was on here late at night that she drinks hers
sometimes half-leaded so she is only half awake. It made me roflmao.

Chocolic

Jojoz

Apr 4, 2002, 12:43:53 AM4/4/02

"Linda Griffith" <grif...@charter.net> wrote in message

LoL ...well I go thru about 2 pots a day and about 6 months ago I had to cut
out caffiene (gasp)..but I do go get a Cafe Mocha at SB's once in awhile,
caffiene and all! ...but I do smoke :/.... but that's gonna have to stop
too .... My dr always gives me the business about my smoking, so I changed
doctors LOL ....

Jojoz

Jojoz

Apr 4, 2002, 12:44:41 AM4/4/02

"Chocolic" <cr.hat...@nospam.att.net> wrote in message

haha.... yeah, i used to do that......now im strictly decaff....so I'm
asleep the whole time im awake!

Jojoz

Jojoz

Apr 4, 2002, 12:47:39 AM4/4/02
Thought you might enjoy these.....

1.. Take time to smell the coffee.

2.. With enough coffee, anything is possible.

3.. Instant human. Just add coffee.

4.. All the coffee in Columbia won't make me a morning person

5.. If it weren't for coffee, I'd have absolutely no personality
whatsoever!

6.. Don't criticize my coffee. You may be old and weak one day.

7.. My blood type is Folgers.

8.. My blood type is Maxwell.

9.. My blood type is coffee.

10.. I love you a latte.

11.. You are the cream in my coffee.

12.. I drink coffee for your protection.

13.. Is it coffee yet?

14.. Some things in life are better rich. . . coffee, chocolate, men.

15.. I'd stop drinking coffee, but I'm no quitter.

16.. Wake up and smell the coffee.

17.. Is there life before coffee?

18.. There is no life before coffee.

19.. There is life after coffee!

20.. Is there life before coffee? There is NO life before coffee. There is
life AFTER coffee!

21.. Never stand between me and my coffee.

22.. I found my perfect man: Mr. Coffee.

23.. I won't be seen, 'til I get my caffeine.

24.. I don't have a problem with caffeine. I have a problem without
caffeine!

25.. No questions until I've had my second cup of coffee!

26.. On the eighth day God created coffee.

27.. Give me coffee and no one gets hurt.

28.. Where's my computer server? I need some coffee.

29.. My husband gives me lots of rings. . . coffee rings, soap rings,
toilet rings. . .

30.. Hangover Breakfast -- Tomato juice, black coffee, 2 raw eggs,
aspirin, and our sympathy.

31.. There has never been a better office communication system than the
coffee break!

32.. Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning
before the smell of coffee.

33.. The four food groups: Coffee, Ice Cream, Beer, Pizza

34.. Retirement: World’s longest coffee break.

35.. Retirement is one great big giant coffee break.

36.. Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee and just as hard
to sleep after.

37.. If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea,
please bring me some coffee. -- Abraham Lincoln

38.. We've shared a coffee and a chat
As friends so often do,
So when you brew this single cup
Imagine I am there with you!
(Give with single serving coffee packet.)
(Substitute "some tea" for "a coffee" & give with tea bag.)

39.. Coffee has two virtues: it is wet and warm. -- Dutch Proverb

40.. Moderately drunk, coffee removes vapours from the brain, occasioned
by fumes of wine, or other strong liquors; eases pains in the head, prevents
sour belchings, and provokes appetite. -- England's Happiness Improved
(1699)

41.. It is disgusting to note the increase in the quantity of coffee used
by my subjects and the amount of money that goes out of the country in
consequence. Everybody is using coffee. If possible this must be prevented.
My people must drink beer. His Majesty was brought up on beer, and so were
his officers. Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on
beer; and the King does not believe that coffee-drinking soldiers can be
depended upon to endure hardships or to beat his enemies in case of ...
another war. -- Frederick the Great (1712-1786)

42.. As soon as coffee is in your stomach, there is a general commotion.
Ideas begin to move...similes arise, the paper is covered. Coffee is your
ally and writing ceases to be a struggle. -- Honoré de Balzac (1799-1859)

43.. Coffee should be black as night, hot as hell and strong as love. -- A
saying from the American South

44.. Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and
spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter,
stinking nauseous puddle of water. -- The Women's Petition Against Coffee,
1674

45.. Caffeine is my shepherd; I shall not doze.
It maketh me to wake in green pastures:
It leadeth me beyond the sleeping masses.
It restoreth my buzz:
It leadeth me in the paths of consciousness for its name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of addiction,
I will fear no Equal (tm):
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me.
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of The Starbucks:
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over.
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life:
And I will dwell in the House of Mocha's forever.

Chocolic

Apr 4, 2002, 12:56:21 AM4/4/02

"Jojoz" <jojozsd@[nospam]hotmail.com> wrote in message
My husband always gave me the business about my smoking so I changed
husbands.
(kidding)

Chocolic <I'll quit some day, honey, I promise, I PROMISE. When they get to
be $1 a pack, I promise I'll quit. If we get that new house, I promise I'll
smoke in the garage. I PROMISE. If I can have a new puter, I promise I'll
quit, I promise. I got my new puter, and here I sit smoking in front of it.
:(

Every9man

Apr 4, 2002, 12:59:11 AM4/4/02
>From: "Linda Griffith" grif...@charter.net

the link to send it doesnt work .

I dont know how it comes across on your reader but on mine there's a little
heart in the upper right hand corner that you click and it'll put the link in
an email for you.

Linda Griffith

Apr 4, 2002, 1:10:45 AM4/4/02
"Jojoz" <jojozsd@[nospam]hotmail.com> wrote in message news:tKRq8.696

> LoL ...well I go thru about 2 pots a day and about 6 months ago I had to
cut
> out caffiene (gasp)..but I do go get a Cafe Mocha at SB's once in awhile,
> caffiene and all! ...but I do smoke :/.... but that's gonna have to stop
> too .... My dr always gives me the business about my smoking, so I changed
> doctors LOL ....
>
> Jojoz

Please........What's the name of your new doctor???? I think mine is about
ready to "fire" me, so I need one who'll keep me on. I'd really like to
find the one doctor in the US who admits to smoking, himself. I said to
mine, "If you want to brag on me about my [134] weight, I'll listen." "What
about your weight?", he asked. "Well, I'm not among the 63% of obese people
in the US!" He wasn't impressed, and went on to rag on me about the
smoking. One-track mind, he has.

Linda

Linda Griffith

Apr 4, 2002, 1:14:15 AM4/4/02
Hey, that's great!

(Now, if you could only find something similar about cigarettes!)

Linda

"Jojoz" <jojozsd@[nospam]hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jojoz

Apr 4, 2002, 1:23:18 AM4/4/02

> Hey, that's great!
>
> (Now, if you could only find something similar about cigarettes!)
>
> Linda

LoL .. nope.... it's just not socially acceptable anymore I guess lol. I can
remember as a kid just about EVERYbody's parents smoked....in the house, in
the car, in the supermarket....everywhere....there wasn't a place that
didn't have someone smoking in it....except maybe at church ...but since we
didn't go much as a family (parents only sent us to cathecism) .... I don't
remember much about that ... My kids were in shock when I told them Nana
used to smoke in the supermarket while we shopped. I do remember it was
still being done in the early 80's too (In NY) because just out of HS I
remember being in stores myself and smoking and trying not to burn anyone
LoL

Jojoz

=^.^=

Apr 4, 2002, 1:26:44 AM4/4/02
On Thu, 04 Apr 2002 05:56:21 GMT, "Chocolic"
<cr.hat...@nospam.att.net> wrote:

snip

>My husband always gave me the business about my smoking so I changed
>husbands.
>(kidding)
>
>Chocolic <I'll quit some day, honey, I promise, I PROMISE. When they get to
>be $1 a pack, I promise I'll quit. If we get that new house, I promise I'll
>smoke in the garage. I PROMISE. If I can have a new puter, I promise I'll
>quit, I promise. I got my new puter, and here I sit smoking in front of it.
>:(

I don't mean this to be a downer.....because I know nicotine addiction
is to the center of your bones. My mom has smoked for 55 years and we
found out this week that she now has a tumor in one of her lungs. She
has emphysema..has a awful cough that is full of phlegm and she still
says that she can't live without her cigarettes.

I wish that something so deadly could be outlawed. Because i grew up
with a cloud of smoke over the dinner table..I couldn't stand the
smell of cigarettes and I have never smoked but I know a few teens
that smoke and they think they can quit when ever they want. Most of
these kids have been educated all through school about the danger of
smoking but they don't think it applies to them.

Sorry for the rant..I know you guys were joking about smoking but it
is a little too close to home for me and I wish everyone the best of
luck in quitting

nicki

Linda Griffith

Apr 4, 2002, 1:29:26 AM4/4/02
"Every9man" <ever...@aol.com> wrote in message

I think I figured it out. I simply hit "Forward" and deleted everything but
the link (figuring my in-laws wouldn't care about our conversations here at
a.t-c). It looks as if it worked. I don't know why I didn't try that
first.

Linda

Jojoz

Apr 4, 2002, 1:35:07 AM4/4/02

"=^.^=" <nicki8801(spamfree))@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 04 Apr 2002 05:56:21 GMT, "Chocolic"
> <cr.hat...@nospam.att.net> wrote:
<snip> >

> I don't mean this to be a downer.....because I know nicotine addiction

> is to the center of your bones. My mom has smoked for 55 years and we
> found out this week that she now has a tumor in one of her lungs. She
> has emphysema..has a awful cough that is full of phlegm and she still
> says that she can't live without her cigarettes.
>
> I wish that something so deadly could be outlawed. Because i grew up
> with a cloud of smoke over the dinner table..I couldn't stand the
> smell of cigarettes and I have never smoked but I know a few teens
> that smoke and they think they can quit when ever they want. Most of
> these kids have been educated all through school about the danger of
> smoking but they don't think it applies to them.
>
> Sorry for the rant..I know you guys were joking about smoking but it
> is a little too close to home for me and I wish everyone the best of
> luck in quitting
>
> nicki

I understand what yer saying nicki .... my father died at 49 from a heart
attack and had his first one at 39 ... so , me being in my mid 30's ... my
next dr's appt I am asking for the patch and to be monitored. I don't mind
smoking , but of course, the health risk is too high for me with my family
history ... But I REFUSE to give up my coffee! LoL ...

Jojoz

=^.^=

Apr 4, 2002, 1:41:53 AM4/4/02

I'm glad you took my chiding well Jojoz. I hesitated even posting but
nicotine is a devil of an addiction and I am really bummed about Mom.

When you get the patch tell me and I will try to give up candy along
with you and your cigs Do they have a patch for sugar? eeekkk

Hey you went with decaf...you are 1/2 way to a healthy lifestyle ha

nicki

Jojoz

Apr 4, 2002, 1:48:13 AM4/4/02

"=^.^=" <nicki8801(spamfree))@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I may enjoy smoking to some extent, but I dont know any smoker who will say
it doesn't harm them or those around them. I rarely get defensive about
anything, don't have the time to waste yanno?

Candy is a good addiction tho lol .... I think I may take up lifesavers haha

Jojoz

tiny dancer

Apr 4, 2002, 10:00:33 AM4/4/02

"_Joy.swf

> > >Hey! I wanted to send this to my mother-in-law, but when I clicked on
> "Send
> > >this", nothing happened. Can you give me a hint as to how to send it
> > >other people?
> > >
> > >TIA.
> > >
> > >Linda
> > >
> > the link to send it doesnt work .
> >
> > I dont know how it comes across on your reader but on mine there's a
> little
> > heart in the upper right hand corner that you click and it'll put the
link
> in
> > an email for you.

> I think I figured it out. I simply hit "Forward" and deleted everything
but
> the link (figuring my in-laws wouldn't care about our conversations here
at
> a.t-c). It looks as if it worked. I don't know why I didn't try that
> first.
>
> Linda

Great, that's what I do and it should work just fine.

td

Desi

Apr 4, 2002, 11:34:04 AM4/4/02
>Chocolic <I'll quit some day, honey, I promise, I PROMISE.
When they get to
>be $1 a pack, I promise I'll quit. If we get that new
house, I promise I'll
>smoke in the garage. I PROMISE. If I can have a new
puter, I promise I'll
>quit, I promise. I got my new puter, and here I sit
smoking in front of it.
>:(

By Gordon Fairclough
THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
AUGUSTA, Ga., — From the back of his small pharmacy and medical-supply store here, Eric Holgate is churning out a new quit-smoking product whose sales are burning up: lollipops laced with nicotine.
HUNDREDS OF INDEPENDENT druggists across the country are producing suckers under brand names such as NicoStop, NicoPop and Likatine—all spiked with nicotine, and all produced off the radar screen of the Food and Drug Administration. The high-octane pops, in flavors such as cherry, grape, apricot, and tequila sunrise, are the latest attempt to quench America’s craving for nicotine and the dopamine buzz it provides. “Trying to stop smoking? It’s as easy as having a lollipop!!!” exclaims Tom Jones Drug in Garner, N.C., on a Web site advertising nicotine lollipops.
No one is tallying sales in this cottage industry, but it’s clear that they are growing fast. One supplier to pharmacists says sales of the nicotine used in lollipops increased 20-fold from 2000 to 2001. Many pharmacists also are concocting nicotine-spiked hard candy, gummy lozenges and even lip balm, selling them in stores and on the Internet.
The lollipops are drawing fire from critics and putting druggists into the crosshairs of regulators. Congressman Henry Waxman, a California Democrat, says he is writing a letter to Health Secretary Tommy G. Thompson asking him to halt sales of nicotine lollipops and similar products immediately until they are tested. “An addictive drug should not be masked by sweeteners and sold as a lollipop without a thorough review by FDA and strict safeguards to prevent inappropriate underage use,” Mr. Waxman says.

FDA LOOKING
INTO LEGALITY
An FDA spokesman, Brad Stone, said the agency “is
looking into” the legality of the lollipops and declined to
elaborate.
Tobacco-control activists say the suckers are
dangerous because children can easily get their hands on
them and end up hooked on nicotine. It is possible to buy
the lollipops online with no prescription or proof of age
required.
Pharmacists including Mr. Holgate say the chances of
children buying the lollipops are remote. For one thing,
they are expensive, selling for $2 or $3 a pop. Mr. Holgate
and many others say they sell the pops only to customers who
have a doctor’s prescription. Mr. Holgate packages his pops
in a clear plastic bag that makes them look like police
evidence. The Compounder, an Aurora, Ill., pharmacy, labels
its lollipops, “This is NOT candy. NOT FOR CHILDREN.”
Underage use isn’t the only concern, however.
Nicorette gum, nicotine patches, nasal sprays and other
smoking-cessation products from big drug companies have
received FDA approval only after rigorous testing to prove
they are safe and also effective in helping people overcome
cigarette addiction. The lollipops haven’t passed such
tests. Nicotine is addictive, but it doesn’t cause the
diseases associated with smoking.
‘We wanted to mimic smoking as much as we could.’
— JOHN VOLIVA
Pharmacist who sells nicotine lollipops Still, many
pharmacists say their concoctions are superior to patches
and gums. “We wanted to mimic smoking as much as we could,”
says John Voliva, a pharmacist at Hooks Apothecary in
Evansville, Ind., which sells 200 to 300 lollipops a week.
Mr. Voliva says the suckers give users a spike of nicotine
that more closely mimics the one they would get from
inhaling cigarette smoke.
One reason is that smokers put the lollipop in the
mouth, get a hit of nicotine and remove it, just as they do
with a cigarette. Another reason, pharmacists say, is that
the nicotine compound used in the lollipops, known as
nicotine salicylate, is more readily absorbed, with a taste
that is more easily masked than the nicotine found in gums
and patches, known as nicotine polacrilex.

NOT PROVED SAFE AND EFFECTIVE
But nicotine salicylate hasn’t been proved safe and
effective for use as a medicine and isn’t approved by the
FDA, Rep. Waxman says. Nor is it listed in the U.S.
Pharmacopoeia, a compendium of recognized drugs and
ingredients used in the pharmaceutical industry.
Mr. Holgate says he isn’t doing anything wrong. “I’ve
never had anyone even question that before,” he says. He has
applied for a patent on his lollipop formulation and wants
to apply for FDA approval, but can’t afford the money
required for testing, he says. He says he is simply trying
to help patients by doing what “compounding” pharmacists
have always done-mixing medicine into ointments,
suppositories and even candy to make them easier to use.

David Sparks, president of Professional Compounding Centers
of America, a Houston supplier to pharmacists, agrees. He
says druggists can use nicotine salicylate because the FDA
has said it “is permissible” to use active ingredients, such
as nicotine, in different salt forms.
Mr. Holgate says he got the idea for a nicotine
lollipop while listening to Rush Limbaugh on the radio talk
about the high price of cigarettes and the flood of lawsuits
against tobacco companies. He presented his idea, along with
a recipe, to other compounding pharmacists at a trade show,
and it caught on. “I’m not the smartest guy. But I was
gifted with common sense,” he says.
Betty Jones, a 64-year-old Augusta homemaker, is
counting on the lollipops to help her kick a four-pack-a-day
habit. She has tried the gum, the patch and even hypnosis
without success. Earlier this year, she went to her doctor
and declared: “I just can’t smoke anymore. I’m coughing my
head off.” The physician handed her one of Mr. Holgate’s
lollipops, and she’s been sucking on them ever since. “I’ve
tried it all. And this is the best,” Ms. Jones says, leaning
back in her big, brown recliner and licking a strawberry
pop. She says she has stopped smoking completely. “It’s
taking me a lot of lollipops,” she adds, pointing to the
pile of white sticks next to her now-spotless ashtray.

AVOID TASTING TOO GOOD
The FDA has insisted that makers of smoking-cessation
aids avoid making their products taste too good so they aren
’t abused. When GlaxoSmithKline PLC wanted to make Nicorette
gum more minty, the FDA at first refused. “They were worried
about introducing anything that tasted better,” says Kenneth
R. Strahs, head of smoking-control research and development
for the company. “They were worried about abuse, especially
by young people.” Glaxo had to conduct a lengthy “abuse
liability” study to show the FDA that the new flavor wouldn’
t make it more likely to be addictive.
Jed Rose, a Duke University scientist and one of the
inventors of the nicotine patch, says he thinks the FDA
should thoroughly review and approve smoking cessation
lollipops and other products. “The nicotine pharmaceutical
products should be made more palatable so they will be more
effective” in helping people stop smoking, he says. He, too,
has been working with a colleague on a new invention: A
nicotine-impregnated straw that delivers the drug as a
person sips on a drink. A Massachusetts company has licensed
the patent and is now doing the safety and efficacy tests
required for FDA approval

Chocolic

Apr 4, 2002, 10:17:50 PM4/4/02

"=^.^=" <nicki8801(spamfree))@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I didn't take that badly at all. If you didn't care about other people you
wouldn't be ragging on them. It is really hard to quit smoking, I can tell
you. Trying to quit is the hardest thing I ever tried to do. My girls are
adults now and neither one smoke, nor does my husband who quit about 30
years ago. They've been extremely patient with me. Both my girls, in
their mid to late 20's have no grandparents left at that age due to smoking
in all but one of them, including two step-grandparents. Although they are
pretty lucky to have a non-smoking 100-year-old great grandmother still
alive.

The weird thing is I have kind of a love/hate relationship with the damned
things.

Chocolic

=^.^=

Apr 4, 2002, 10:40:12 PM4/4/02

Thanks for the nice post. Mom has done the patches and the gum and
has quit up to 50 days at a time but I think the nicotine does
something to the brain. She gets so depressed when she is not smoking
that she says she doesn't want to live without her cigarettes. Now
that is a powerful addiction and really hard to overcome. I am so
thankful that none of my kids smoke either. My Dad has never smoked
and my big fear was that her second hand smoke would get to him and
she would have that guilt to deal with.

We visit my daughter at her college a lot and it saddens me to see all
those college kids smoking.

Waaaay to go 100 year old grandma.

nicki