Yves Castonguay, 47, Gets 240 Day Sentence For Anti- Chinese Grafitti At Chinese Cultural Center in Vancouver.

Gregory Carr

Dec 31, 2021, 5:06:08 PM12/31/21
240-day sentence for man behind racist graffiti at Vancouver Chinese Cultural Centre
Yves Castonguay is shown in a photo from the Vancouver Police Department.Yves Castonguay is shown in a photo from the Vancouver Police Department.
Kendra Mangione

CTVNewsVancouver.ca Reporter and Producer
Follow | Contact
Published Dec. 30, 2021 3:12 p.m. PST
Share

A man who admitted to scrawling racist graffiti on a Vancouver cultural centre will serve another 79 days in jail.

Yves Castonguay was sentenced in a Vancouver courtroom Wednesday to 240 days in custody. He'd already served 161 days, so with credit for pre-trial time behind bars, just 79 days remain.

Additionally, he was given three years' probation, the B.C. Prosecution Service told CTV News.

Castonguay pleaded guilty earlier this fall to mischief to property in connection with graffiti found on Vancouver's Chinese Cultural Centre in 2020.

A second charge, of wilfully promoting hatred, was stayed following his sentence.

Castonguay was identified as a suspect in March in connection with the incident in the city's Chinatown neighbourhood on April 2, 2020.

Surveillance camera images were released by police about a month after the graffiti was discovered. One of the messages sprayed on the walls of the centre read, "kill all," and another said, "Let's put a stop to (anti-Chinese slur) coming to Canada."

Another message read, "Drive them out of Canada."

It was an incident police described as "disheartening," during a year that saw a record number of hate crimes reported, many of them directed against victims of Asian descent. Vancouver saw a 717 per cent increase in crimes involving hate, bias and prejudice last year, according to Vancouver Police Const. Tania Visintin.

Castonguay was identified and charged earlier this year. He then failed to appear in court in April, and a warrant was issued for his arrest yet again.

He was located and taken back into custody, then later pleaded guilty to the mischief charge.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/240-day-sentence-for-man-behind-racist-graffiti-at-vancouver-chinese-cultural-centre-1.5723771 Sentence seems about right.

https://www.nsnews.com/highlights/despicable-man-who-wrote-hateful-graffiti-on-vancouvers-chinese-cultural-centre-sentenced-4908031 He pled guilty and apologized. The Crown told the court that Castonguay’s criminal record consists of 148 convictions, including 50-plus property crimes and 24 crimes of violence. He will serve his time in a facility no doubt with ethnic Chinese. Channel 21 has not mentioned this story once but they had a story about the successful immigrant from Pakistan who now owns 4 Chicken World stores including the one on 72 Ave.in Surrey four times.

https://justice.gov.bc.ca/cso/criminal/searchAccusedResult.do?page=1&serviceId=75961023 the man who pled guilty has had court appearances all over BC all his adult life how about a dangerous offender or habitual offender designation.

https://groups.google.com/g/van.general/c/U1J1NsBZCuE/m/i_3xX0d_BgAJ

Police Seek Caucasian Man Who Wrote Racist Grafitti On Chinese Cultural Center In Vancouver. Picture of Suspect.
Subscribe
gregca...@gmail.com’s profile photo
gregca...@gmail.com
1 May 2020, 21:03:22
Vancouver police say anti-Asian, hate-related crimes spiked in April

Vancouver police are reporting an increase in anti-Asian, hate-motivated incidents in recent weeks.

The department makes the announcement as it seeks public help to identify a man seen scrawling graffiti on several large windows at the Chinese Cultural Centre on April 2.
Const. Tania Visintin said Friday hate crimes of that nature will not be tolerated, adding it's "disheartening" to see such incidents occurring during the COVID-19 pandemic.
A statement from police says the suspect walked into the courtyard of the cultural centre and wrote disturbing, racist remarks towards the Asian community on four large glass windows.

He is described as white, with a thin build, dressed in a black jacket, pants and baseball cap and wearing grey runners and a black and white bandana over his mouth and nose.
Police say of the 20 anti-Asian hate crimes reported to police this year, 11 occurred in April.
In comparison, police say there were 12 such crimes reported in all of 2019.
Visintin said investigators waited for almost a month to release the details about the graffiti to ensure all investigative steps had been taken.
"We do take it very seriously and we have our steps that we have to follow to complete a thorough investigation and to really grab the suspect," she said during a news conference.
A camera has been set up in the area to monitor for any other hate-related incidents and Visintin said police foot patrols continue in the area.
"We want the public to know that we are taking this seriously, investigating fully and we want this to stop," she said.
The rise in incidents, combined with the timing of Asian Heritage Month, prompted Vancouver city manager Sadhu Johnston to issue a statement.
"No one should feel unsafe, harassed or that they don't belong, and we at the City of Vancouver will not tolerate acts of hate," he said.
Chris Lee, director of the Asian Canadian and Asian Migrant Studies Program at the University of British Columbia, said he believes the attacks will have a long-term effect on the city's Asian community.
"People will remember there was a moment when they felt unsafe, they will remember a moment when they were singled out or scapegoated, and those scars will stay,” he said in an interview.
The fact the attack was directed at the cultural centre also hits a nerve, he said, noting Vancouver's Chinatown was the first site Chinese-Canadians were allowed to live in the city.
"This is an intense moment of being excluded and racialized," Lee said.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 1, 2020.
The Canadian Press

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/vancouver-police-say-anti-asian-hate-related-crimes-spiked-in-april/ar-BB13u5On?ocid=spartanntp
I can't think of any good reason to write graffiti on the Chinese Cultural Center. I don't like the bat eating freeks or their Chinese dictatorship govt nor do I like the Fifth Columnists destabilizing this country that has been so good to them. I mean if it hasn't been good for them why don't they return to the Motherland of China? Fact is every year for decades tens of thousands of ppl from China immigrate here and they continue to do so during the worst economic times of my 55 years of life competing for rapidly disappearing jobs, health care and space on the transit system ( I had to wait for three buses to get on the R1 yesterday. That has never happened before.). The multi-billion money laundering problem was at least 90% Chinese crime driven. There is no evidence that I know of that the Chinese Cultural Center is engaged in Fifth Columnist activity or supports the Beijing govt. If you have proof to the contrary please post it. These addresses all are Chinese govt organs and active Fifth Columnist groups.

Consulate General of the People's Republic of China
3380 Granville St, Vancouver · 604-734-7492

Consulate General of the People's Republic of China
250-999 W Broadway, Vancouver · 604-336-8866

CONSULATE GENERAL OF CHINA
2215 Eddington Dr, Vancouver · 604-732-6723

Toronto Fuqing Chamber of Commerce
11-250 West Beaver Creek Rd
Richmond Hill ON L4B 1C7
Canada

Director details (3)
Name
Address
Liang Jin He
439 Athabasca Drive
Maple ON L6A 3S2
Canada
Guo Ping Cai
31 Hallbank Terrace
Toronto ON M1S 2V8
Canada
Ming Nong Xue
5 Amberwood Court
Markham ON L3R 9N2
Canada

Canadian Alliance of Chinese Associations (CACA) (Greg-Unfortunate acronym. CACA is slang for excrement :-)

Headquarters:
3025-8888 Odlin Circle, Richmond, British Columbia, V6X 3Z8, Canada

Phone:
(604) 338-7836

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99766845@N00/sets/72157619023977350/ has lots of photos of the Fifth Columnists and bat eating freeks at a CACA meeting in Richmond, BC. Lots of photos of Ujjal Dosanjh the retired former BC premier and Liberal Health Minister with them. Too bad. I used to respect him because when some Sikh radical pounded the **** out of him with a lead pipe once he didn't swerve from his soft on crime stance which although I disagree with shows he at one time had principles that he stuck to even when adversely affected in the extreme. He is also the only BC Premier to ever be at a wedding where gunfire broke out.

Canada Chao Shan Business Associations
250-8260 Granville Ave, Richmond, BC V6Y 1P3

https://globalnews.ca/news/6858818/coronavirus-china-united-front-canada-protective-equipment-shortage/ is an interesting read if you haven't read it already.

Fight the good fight. Expose, prosecute when possible, fine and imprison then deport the Fifth Columnists.