Boulderite wounds 2 girls, kills himself

Jason Pope

Feb 17, 2002, 11:10:05 AM2/17/02
Boulderite wounds 2 girls, kills himself

Shootings near Estes Park hospitalize teens

By Kieran Nicholsonand Jenn Kostka
The Denver Post

Sunday, February 17, 2002 - ESTES PARK - A Boulder man, 18, shot and
injured two teenage girls then killed himself early Saturday in an
apparent murder-suicide attempt at a vacation home outside town, police
said.

Authorities said Keith Gregory Bode-Brown died of an apparently
self-inflicted gunshot wound in the head after using a .357 Magnum to
shoot two 17-year-old girls, whose names were not released.

The girls were in stable condition Saturday night at hospitals in Estes
Park and Fort Collins.

Police did not have a motive for the shootings. But they said that the
teens had been drinking alcohol and that an argument broke out just
before the gunfire.

"The suspect had a relationship with one of the girls for two years,"
said Eloise Campanella, spokeswoman for the Larimer County Sheriff's
Office.

Bode-Brown died at the home at 550 Range View Court, near Estes Park.
The vacation home is owned by his uncle, who lives in Des Moines, Iowa,
Campanella said.

A third teenage girl, also 17, witnessed the shootings but was not shot
or injured. Two of the girls are from Louisville, and the third is from
Superior. One victim was shot in the chest and the other in the pelvis,
Campanella said.

Investigators were trying to determine who owns the handgun.

Authorities said they do not expect to file criminal charges against the
girls. It was unclear how the teenagers obtained the alcohol, Campanella
said.

Bode-Brown lived in Boulder and attended Front Range Community College.
He does not have a criminal record, police said.

Bode-Brown's neighbors described him as an outgoing, responsible young
man who cut lawns and shoveled snow from sidewalks and driveways while
growing up on the north side of the city.

"He couldn't have been lovelier," said Boyce Sher, who lives a few
houses down from Bode-Brown's mother, Mary Jo.

Sher said Bode-Brown cut her lawn for several years while he was in high
school and that he had a contract with the homeowners association to
shovel snow in the neighborhood.

Bode-Brown, who went by the name "Greg," once fixed a broken lawn
sprinkler head for Sher, she said.

"He was a real fix-it kind of kid who helped his mother a lot," Sher
said. "He was the golden boy of her eye and with good reason."

Bode-Brown was well-liked in the neighborhood, where he played in-line
hockey with friends.

"He was just the friendliest kid," Sher said. "He was the kid you would
love to have next door."

Bode-Brown's mother is a single parent and teacher. Bode-Brown is also
survived by a younger sister.

In Estes Park, Joy Mohr, who lives on Range View Road near where the
shootings occurred, said she heard a single gunshot that woke her up
Saturday morning.

"I knew it was a gunshot because we have hunters up here for elk," Mohr
said.

"Then, I heard talking outside my window, and when I looked out there
was an ambulance coming up our road."

Mohr said she and her husband, who have lived near Estes Park for three
years, met the owners of the house a few times, but she believed they
were renting it to someone else Friday night.

The log house, which Mohr said was built less than two years ago, sits
on a rocky hillside covered by evergreen trees at the end of a private
drive. The nearest homes are about 100 yards away.

--
"I think I'm running on half a brain, and not the good half, either."

Martha Sprowles, PA
http://asclepius.com/angel/service.html

"Is your baby dead yet?"

Martha

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Martha+%22baby+dead+yet%22&hl=en&selm=382B867C.8E0%40erols.com&rnum=2

"Uh, Form, please butt out <smile>. Have you forgotten how much I
appreciate negative attention?"

Marthas...@aol.com (Mothra)

An anagram of Michael Newton is "Coma when let in".