3 unsolved murders in small AL town in past 2 weeks,raise fears of a possible serial killer,cops deny any links between the killings

Joe1orbit

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
Hello,

Interesting news about a POSSIBLE serial killer, operating in the quite SMALL
town of Anniston, in Alabama. This one really doesn't look all that promising,
in terms of turning out to be a serial killer at work, but I figure I'll post
it anyway, to BOTH ATC and my Serial and Mass Murder Mailing List, just in case
the official police denials about a serial killer being at work here, turn out
to be LIES. Always gotta be on the lookout for lies, when dealing with you
lie-based and myth-saturated society.

Anyway, this past month, FIVE different residents of this small town have
ended up DEAD. Two of the deaths appear to be the work of an ENRAGED 35 year
old son, who SHOT both his Mommy and Daddy to death, before killing himself.
This occured earlier this month, and I wonder why I TOTALLY missed out on this
family massacre, in terms of finding news wire items that dealt with it? Oh
well, better late then never, to find about a SLAVE slaughtering BOTH of his
parents. This type of killing, where a son or daughter of ANY age targets their
parents with HOMICIDAL rage and successful murder, excites me even MORE than
most serial and mass murder cases do.

But anyway, back to the serial killer fears. Discounting this double
murder-suicide, we still have THREE unsolved killings in this small town, that
have occured within the past 2 weeks, and area residents are indeed expressing
fear of a possible serial killer. Cops however, say that they don't think ANY
of the 3 unsolved killings are related to each other. The first two victims
were females, aged 29 and 37. They were BOTH found murdered and dumped outside,
one in a field, the other in a drainage ditch. The first gal was shot in the
head, the second gal was beaten to death. The bodies were found within 48 hours
of each other. There is no sign that the two women KNEW each other. A few days
later, the body of a 21 year old man was found inside his house. He had been
shot to death, and it was clearly a homicide, not a suicide. Cops admit that
they have NO suspects in any of these three killings, but still insist there is
NO reason to assume that one killer harvested even two out of the three.

IMO, the police are being VERY ignorant and short-sighted in dismissing the
possibility of a serial killer just because, as the police chief blithely
declares: "Serial killers usually follow patterns, such as killing their
victims in the same way or targeting a specific type of person. They all have
patterns, but there's none of that here. The crime patterns aren't even the
same." Well chief porker, the SMART serial killers try NOT to follow any
"patterns", knowing that it is tactically advantageous to try and make it LOOK
like the killings are being committed by different predators.

IS a serial killer at work here? I don't know. PROBABLY not. But with two
women found murdered and dumped in a SMALL, rural town, within 48 hours of each
other, it is FOOLISH for police to discount the very real possibility of one
killer having committed both of these killings.

Take care, JOE

The following appears courtesy of today's Associated Press news wire:

Rash of recent homicides has Anniston residents worried

The Associated Press
01/24/99

ANNISTON, Ala. (AP) -- A string of recent murders, coupled with authorities'
reluctance to release information, has fueled speculation among Anniston
residents that a serial killer might be on the loose, a claim disputed by
police.

"The citizens in the community are worried about the killings, and there is no
information being passed on," said Roosevelt Parker, head of the local chapter
of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. "They want
the police to get on it and solve these murders."

Calls from concerned residents have been pouring in, both to Parker and local
media outlets.

Police said they don't believe any of the homicides are related, and rumors
that a serial killer might be prowling Anniston's streets are false.

The rash of deaths started with the Jan. 13 discovery of the body of
37-year-old Glenda Marie Pearson of Anniston in a field. Ms. Pearson died from
a gunshot wound to the head, authorities said.

The next day, Suddy Gentry, 29, was found dead in a drainage ditch. She had
been beaten to death, police said.

On Jan. 16, the body of Eric DeWayne Dimming, 21, was found in his home. He had
been shot to death.

And earlier this month, Terry and Phyllis Whetstone were found fatally shot at
their Saks home. Police said the couple was apparently killed by their
35-year-old son Warren, who was also found dead at the scene from an apparent
self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Police have no suspects in the deaths of Ms. Pearson, Ms. Gentry and Dimming,
but are continuing to follow leads, said Anniston police Capt. Ted Nothdurft,
head of investigations.

Authorities do not believe any of the homicides are related, and said they do
not point to a possible serial killer.

Serial killers usually follow patterns, such as killing their victims in the
same way or targeting a specific type of person.

"They all have patterns, but there's none of that here," said Police Chief
Wayne Chandler. "The crime patterns aren't even the same."

Nothdurft said if police suspected a serial killer might be responsible for the
deaths, they would have alerted the public.

Police said they aren't trying to hide information in the cases, but releasing
too much could impede their investigations.

"Police can't tell everything they know," said Tom Barker, head of the criminal
justice department at Jacksonville State University. "And when the community
senses that they're not telling everything they know, then the members of the
community are saying, 'How can we trust them if they're holding back
information?"'

Chandler said the close timing of the deaths likely helped fuel the rumors.

"Folks like to talk, and, if the subject is one that creates some mystery and
interest, the longer it goes, the more rumors get going," he said.

Anyone with concerns should call the police department, he said. "We can allay
people's fears if they call us."

Authorities are still trying to work through numerous tips.

"A majority of our time has been (spent) chasing false leads," said Anniston
investigator Wayne Willis. "We can't pick and choose; we have to follow every
bit of information we get. We have to follow it to the conclusion."

mathis....@gmail.com

Feb 29, 2016, 1:19:57 AM2/29/16
Have you guys found out anything else on this story? Glenda was my mother.