Marlene Olive ("BBQ Murders") in trouble again

AquaGuyLA

Sep 5, 2003, 5:20:51 AM9/5/03
Marin Independent Journal
[Marin County, California]
August 18, 2003

Bad Check Sends 'Barbecue Pit' Killer Back To Prison

By Gary Klien, IJ reporter

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. -- A former Terra Linda teenager convicted in the nefarious
1975 "barbecue pit" murders will be heading back to prison this month for
passing a bad check in Bakersfield, prosecutors said.

Marlene Olive is facing up to nine years in prison when she is sentenced on
August 29, said Jessica Hartnett, a deputy district attorney in Kern County.
Olive pleaded guilty to passing a fictitious check last week and remains in
custody pending her sentencing.

For Olive, the conviction is the latest chapter in a lifetime of legal
troubles.

Olive was 16 years old when she and her boyfriend, 19-year-old Charles David
Riley, were arrested in the murders of Olive's adoptive parents, James and
Naomi Olive, in their Terra Linda home. Police said Naomi Olive was
bludgeoned, James Olive was shot to death, and both bodies were then doused
with flammable liquid and set on fire in a barbecue pit at the nearby China
Camp State Park.

Firefighters were the first to discover the Olives' remains, but they initially
thought some hunters had been roasting a deer in the pit.

Riley, who claimed Olive killed her mother and he shot James Olive in
self-defense, was convicted and sentenced to death. His sentence was commuted
to life in prison when the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the death penalty in
1975.

Olive, who was tried as a juvenile, was sentenced to the California Youth
Authority. In 1978, just months shy of being paroled, she escaped a CYA
facility in Ventura County. She was arrested the following year in New York
City and returned to California.

She was released by the CYA at age 21. But in 1986 she and 14 others were
arrested in Los Angeles on suspicion of running a vast counterfeiting and
forgery ring in the San Fernando Valley. She was convicted and sentenced to
five years in prison.

That prison term was followed by two more. In 1992, she was convicted in Los
Angeles of making a false financial statement, prosecutors said. In 1995, she
was convicted in Santa Monica Superior Court of possessing a forged driver's
license.

On February 6 of this year, Olive was arrested in Bakersfield on suspicion of
passing a fictitious check, possession of stolen property, possession of
counterfeit checks, using a false driver's license to forge a check, possession
of drug paraphernalia and being under the influence of drugs, Hartnett said.

Olive pleaded guilty to passing a fictitious check, a charge that ordinarily
might carry up to a year in jail. But with her prior record, Olive is facing
up to nine years in prison, Hartnett said.

Her attorney, Deputy Public Defender Nicholas Palmisano, was not available for
comment.

Riley, who has been denied parole 10 times, remains in custody at the
California Men's Colony in San Luis Obispo. His next chance for parole will be
in 2004.

The murders were chronicled in author Richard M. Levine's 1982 best-selling
book, "Bad Blood: A Family Murder in Marin County."

# # #

teenc...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2014, 3:18:50 PM11/22/14
Lock her up she ruined chucks life..a great guy came under her spell.Marlene repent and pray u deserve to b in prison for your horrific control over people.You r a witch not a good one.

rjones...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2015, 2:07:33 AM6/6/15
hi my name is Robin I was in juvenile hall with Marlene olive for several months every night she SAT there and told me step by step house kill her parents but yet she did not talk to any attorneys about it just me for some reason when they said he had nothing to do with it she was a liar she told me how she participated in it but she would never tell you anything they asked me if I wanted to be her roommate and I asked him why he said she is not giving her trying any information I told them no I did not want to be her roommate because he used to wake up in the middle of the night Blizzard bash rope tied around his neck like it was in the news I told them I did not want to be one of her birthday and get somebody else she said she does not talk to anybody else but you that was a little scary knowing what you had told me when I was there the day that she left you in the hall is overweight won't hear beautiful eyes and they knew she was headed toward a mental facility I think she deserves a lot more back in the 70 prostitute minors but I felt once you turn 21 you should spend the rest of her life in prison just like Chuck as he got ruined in my beautiful young lady because he was awkward did not know anything about dating and he wanted to sit in I just don't get it everybody they do not disclose where she's at or what she's doing I still like that forever they should have thrown the key away just people out there that descends how she acted was I think is crazy can a mother and father and your mother with mentally ill he could not help how she acted people say he had to do with her mother and you would have killed her too I think she people who talk like that or not that I tell you what that book is not accurate at all makes me laugh

alicia...@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2016, 5:38:54 PM1/1/16
Took the words right out of my mouth chuck went to school with my mother since very little.even though I have never met him I have known him to be my uncle my hole life and pray one day to have the honor to meet him.as for her I truley wish nothing but the worst because a wat she did to my uncle.

juliana...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2016, 8:50:05 PM8/1/16
Poor chuck. ..

nmit...@petk12.org

Aug 26, 2016, 12:08:02 AM8/26/16
Robin? Is this you? This is Nancy.. I never knew u were in same cell as Marlene

--

Notice to Recipient:

Information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential and
protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient, it is
strictly prohibited to use, disseminate or copy this communication. If you
have received this in error, please reply to the sender and then delete the
message.

Thank you.

gowes...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2018, 11:12:17 PM10/15/18
Chuck is out.

gowes...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2018, 11:14:02 PM10/15/18
Chuck is out.

aweber...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2019, 7:25:03 PM6/11/19
Yeah so what’s a life worth? Stupid Americans. So much for supporting the death penalty. I mean if you know the person or if you “think” you know a person, all bets are off. But if you don’t know shit from shyola than you’re pro-life for the unborn American fetus (better be American!) and you are pro-death penalty. But if you know the person or they poor than... ugh. What?
Message has been deleted

kendall Evans

Oct 11, 2021, 5:43:47 PM10/11/21
On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 11:07:33 PM UTC-7, rjones...@gmail.com wrote:
> hi my name is Robin I was in juvenile hall with Marlene olive for several months every night she SAT there and told me step by step house kill her parents but yet she did not talk to any attorneys about it just me for some reason when they said he had nothing to do with it she was a liar she told me how she participated in it but she would never tell you anything they asked me if I wanted to be her roommate and I asked him why he said she is not giving her trying any information I told them no I did not want to be her roommate because he used to wake up in the middle of the night Blizzard bash rope tied around his neck like it was in the news I told them I did not want to be one of her birthday and get somebody else she said she does not talk to anybody else but you that was a little scary knowing what you had told me when I was there the day that she left you in the hall is overweight won't hear beautiful eyes and they knew she was headed toward a mental facility I think she deserves a lot more back in the 70 prostitute minors but I felt once you turn 21 you should spend the rest of her life in prison just like Chuck as he got ruined in my beautiful young lady because he was awkward did not know anything about dating and he wanted to sit in I just don't get it everybody they do not disclose where she's at or what she's doing I still like that forever they should have thrown the key away just people out there that descends how she acted was I think is crazy can a mother and father and your mother with mentally ill he could not help how she acted people say he had to do with her mother and you would have killed her too I think she people who talk like that or not that I tell you what that book is not accurate at all makes me laugh

That "sentence" (apparently you never heard of punctuation) is incomprehensible.

kendall Evans

Oct 11, 2021, 5:46:16 PM10/11/21
On Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 4:25:03 PM UTC-7, aweber...@gmail.com wrote:
> Yeah so what’s a life worth? Stupid Americans. So much for supporting the death penalty. I mean if you know the person or if you “think” you know a person, all bets are off. But if you don’t know shit from shyola than you’re pro-life for the unborn American fetus (better be American!) and you are pro-death penalty. But if you know the person or they poor than... ugh. What?

And where are you from? Bin Laden country? We pride ourselves on keeping stupid goat herders out of our beautiful country.