Man indicted in singer's 1999 murder KY/TN

ImNot911

Jan 14, 2004, 1:14:24 AM1/14/04
Man indicted in singer's 1999 murder
Court records say suspect confessed to Louisville police
------
By JASON RILEY
jri...@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal
A Tennessee man has told Louisville Metro Police that he murdered an aspiring
country singer while she was traveling through Louisville in 1999, according to
court records.

The man, Glenn Goins, of Johnson City, in the northeastern tip of Tennessee,
was indicted in Louisville yesterday by a Jefferson County grand jury on
charges of robbing, raping and murdering Melissa Januskevicius on Aug. 16,
1999.

Goins, who was 18 at the time of the slaying, provided a videotaped statement
to Louisville police confessing to this murder and to several others in other
states, according to a court document requesting a bench warrant for Goins'
arrest.

"This was one of the most heinous and brutal crimes we've seen in this
community," said Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Brian Butler. Prosecutors
will soon discuss whether to seek the death penalty, he said.

Goins has also been charged with murdering a pregnant woman whose body was
found in Johnson City, said Detective Larry Brown of the Johnson City police.
The body of that victim, Amanda Wood, 24, was found there earlier this month.

Goins is accused of choking Wood to death in a bedroom of his house, then
dragging her body to the basement and wrapping it in plastic and duct tape.

Police in Tennessee said Goins told them that he killed several other women,
but he has not been charged in any other deaths. Butler wrote in a court
document that Goins "admitted he had a propensity to commit murder."

A bench warrant has been issued in Louisville for Goins' arrest, and his bond
was set at $1million cash. He is in the Washington County Jail in Jonesborough,
Tenn., near Johnson City. It was unclear when he would be moved to Louisville
to face charges in the Januskevicius case, Butler said.

"If they (the Tennessee authorities) give him back to us, we will take him
right now," Butler said.

Januskevicius, 20, whose stage name was Melissa Love, was passing through
Louisville on her way home to Stevens Point, Wis., having just finished
recording a CD in Nashville, Tenn. Her Greyhound bus stopped at the bus station
on Muhammad Ali Boulevard, between Seventh and Eighth streets, about 11:30
p.m., and she had an hour's wait before boarding another bus, police said then.

Her partially clad body was discovered two days later by a passer-by in a
vacant lot on Roy Wilkins Avenue, a few blocks from the bus depot. She had been
strangled.

Januskevicius' grandmother, Sue Ellen Berendsen, said in a telephone interview
from Wisconsin last night: "This is absolutely the most wonderful news. It
won't bring Melissa back, but knowing he's off the street is a blessing from
the Lord."

http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2004/01/13ky/met-3-murder0113-454
2.html

tinydancer

Jan 14, 2004, 1:27:24 AM1/14/04

"ImNot911" <imno...@aol.commotion> wrote in message

I wonder how many other women he's killed? And is it just me, or does
Johnson City seem to have a lot of crime? I know someone from Johnson City,
so everytime I see that listed as a locale, I always think of my friend.

td

ImNot911

Jan 14, 2004, 2:17:15 AM1/14/04
>From: "tinydancer"

>"ImNot911"

>> Man indicted in singer's 1999 murder
>> Court records say suspect confessed to Louisville police

>> By JASON RILEY

There's no telling how many he's killed, td. He seems to be doing a lot of
talking. Maybe someone will listen.
I don't know about the crime rate in Johnson City, but it's a small place and
it's in the news a lot. I've been through there and didn't see anything that
made me want to slow my car down.
Jo Ann

Jeff

Jan 14, 2004, 2:33:36 AM1/14/04

Two of the main characters (don't remember their names) in Mario
Puzo's old novel "Fools Die" were from Johnson City TN.

Just a little bit of useless knowledge that might come in handy
playing Trivial Persuit.....

Anne Warfield

Jan 14, 2004, 8:02:21 PM1/14/04
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:27:24 -0500, "tinydancer"
<tinyd...@nospam.com> wrote:

>I wonder how many other women he's killed? And is it just me, or does
>Johnson City seem to have a lot of crime? I know someone from Johnson City,
>so everytime I see that listed as a locale, I always think of my friend.

The one big story that I've been following in that area is the Howard
Hawk Willis case (accused of murdering & dismembering his stepfather &
two teenagers). I haven't really noticed any more crime there than
usual, though.

Here's a couple of stories from today's Kingsport [TN] Times-News--

Arrest warrant issued for murder suspect's mother
Wednesday, January 14, 2004

By Staff report

JOHNSON CITY - An arrest warrant was issued Tuesday for the mother of
Glenn Isaac Goins after she did not come to court on a charge of
accessory after the fact that is unrelated to her son's first-degree
murder case.

Betty Goins, 64, 420 W. Poplar St., was arrested Jan. 2, the day
Amanda Wood's body was found in her basement. Johnson City Police
Department Investigator Kim Brewer said in an affidavit that Betty
Goins, who found the body, tried to inhibit the state Department of
Probation and Parole from knowing her son's whereabouts.

Brewer said parole officer Bob Denman called Betty Goins on Nov. 20 at
the house, where her son also was living. Isaac Goins had been
released from prison on parole on Oct. 17.

"Betty Goins did hinder the punishment of her son, Isaac Goins, by
harboring him and providing misleading information to his parole
officer," Brewer said.

Sessions Judge John Kiener said Betty Goins can be released from jail
on her own recognizance when she is arrested.

http://www.timesnews.net/article.dna?_StoryID=3318871

Police investigator: Goins said he liked killing people
Wednesday, January 14, 2004

By JIM WOZNIAK
For the Times News

JOHNSON CITY - When a Johnson City police investigator asked Glenn
Isaac Goins why he had slain a woman two weeks ago, the response,
delivered as if they were talking casually about cars, was "he liked
killing people," the officer testified Tuesday.

Investigator Joe Harrah also said Goins, 22, did not shed any light on
the death of Amanda Wood, 24, West Eighth Avenue, until Johnson City
police told him they had found a body in the basement of his mother's
house, 420 W. Poplar St., on Jan. 2.

"And his next exact words were, 選 did it. I killed her,'" said
Harrah, who indicated Goins did not show any remorse for his actions.

"His big question was, 践ow did you find the body?'"

Harrah said eventually Goins gave a statement to him in Chattanooga -
where Goins was tracked down Jan. 4 - that detailed how he had met
Wood and the way he killed her. Goins is charged with first-degree
murder and is facing a possible death sentence. He was bound over to a
Washington County grand jury Tuesday after a preliminary hearing in
sessions court.

Wood was pregnant, and District Attorney Joe Crumley is awaiting
autopsy results on the fetus, a female, to determine whether it could
have survived outside the womb. The results will determine whether
Goins can be charged in the death of the fetus.

Goins' troubles are not limited to Washington County. He reportedly
has admitted to three other killings and has fuzzy recollections about
four others, according to family members of one of the victims.

He was indicted Monday in Louisville, Ky., on charges of murder,
first-degree rape and first-degree robbery in the 1999 slaying of
Melissa Januskevicius, 20, Stevens Point, Wis., who was returning home
by bus from Nashville when she was slain. Crumley said he would like
to resolve the Washington County case before Goins is taken to
Louisville.

Harrah testified one of the other slayings occurred in Georgia, but he
gave no details.

During Tuesday's hearing, Harrah, the only person to take the stand,
read Goins' Jan. 4 statement about the events leading to Wood's death.
Goins said he had seen Wood downtown, watched her a couple of times
and wondered what it would be like to kill her.

"I think it was three days ago at night," Goins said. "I pulled up
beside her in my car and said, 践ey.' She said, 践ey.' She asked if
she could get a ride. I told her to hop in."

Goins said she asked him what she could do for him or what he would
like. She asked him whether he had someplace to go. They went to the
West Poplar house and had sex, he said.

Goins told police he taped Wood's hands in the bathroom. He said she
asked him what he was doing, and he told her to be quiet and not worry
about it. After having sex with her a second time, Goins said he took
her back to the bedroom and she asked him again what he was doing.

"And I said, 選'm going to kill you,'" Goins said. "She said, 善lease
don't' or something like that, and I smacked her in the face and told
her to shut up. She was sitting on the bed, and I took a towel and
started choking her with the towel. I kept on choking her until she
died."

Goins then told how he moved the body in a sleeping bag to the
basement, which Harrah said is more like a tall crawl space, and
cleaned up some items beforehand. Goins said he wrapped the body in
plastic and duct tape and thought he had put the towel in the sleeping
bag. He also took $20 from Wood.

Goins said he fell asleep upstairs before waking up and taking his
mother's car to Appalachia, Va.

"I never felt bad about what I have done," Goins said. "Whenever I let
her in my car, I knew I was going to kill her and nothing would stop
me."

Harrah said an autopsy by Dr. Gretel Stephens revealed Wood had
bruises to the chest and left breast and had been strangled. With help
from an FBI agent, a special light was shown on Wood's body, revealing
fibers on the neck, lower jaw and around the nose and mouth, Harrah
said. He said the fibers on the towel found in the sleeping bag were
consistent with those on Wood.

Goins is being held in the Washington County Detention Center in
Jonesborough without bond. He is scheduled to appear in criminal court
April 6 for arraignment.

http://www.timesnews.net/article.dna?_StoryID=3318898

--
Anne Warfield
indigoace at goodsol period com

ImNot911

Jan 14, 2004, 10:25:38 PM1/14/04
>From: indi...@aolxxx.com (Anne Warfield)

>"And his next exact words were, ‘I did it. I killed her,'" said

>Harrah, who indicated Goins did not show any remorse for his actions.
>

>"His big question was, ‘How did you find the body?'"

>beside her in my car and said, ‘Hey.' She said, ‘Hey.' She asked if

>she could get a ride. I told her to hop in."
>
>Goins said she asked him what she could do for him or what he would
>like. She asked him whether he had someplace to go. They went to the
>West Poplar house and had sex, he said.
>
>Goins told police he taped Wood's hands in the bathroom. He said she
>asked him what he was doing, and he told her to be quiet and not worry
>about it. After having sex with her a second time, Goins said he took
>her back to the bedroom and she asked him again what he was doing.
>

>"And I said, ‘I'm going to kill you,'" Goins said. "She said, ‘Please

>don't' or something like that, and I smacked her in the face and told
>her to shut up. She was sitting on the bed, and I took a towel and
>started choking her with the towel. I kept on choking her until she
>died."
>
>Goins then told how he moved the body in a sleeping bag to the
>basement, which Harrah said is more like a tall crawl space, and
>cleaned up some items beforehand. Goins said he wrapped the body in
>plastic and duct tape and thought he had put the towel in the sleeping
>bag. He also took $20 from Wood.
>
>Goins said he fell asleep upstairs before waking up and taking his
>mother's car to Appalachia, Va.
>
>"I never felt bad about what I have done," Goins said. "Whenever I let
>her in my car, I knew I was going to kill her and nothing would stop
>me."
>
>Harrah said an autopsy by Dr. Gretel Stephens revealed Wood had
>bruises to the chest and left breast and had been strangled. With help
>from an FBI agent, a special light was shown on Wood's body, revealing
>fibers on the neck, lower jaw and around the nose and mouth, Harrah
>said. He said the fibers on the towel found in the sleeping bag were
>consistent with those on Wood.
>
>Goins is being held in the Washington County Detention Center in
>Jonesborough without bond. He is scheduled to appear in criminal court
>April 6 for arraignment.

>Anne Warfield

Thanks for the interesting articles, Anne.
And please accept my apology for the Arkansas joke. It was sort of an insider
joke since I live there myself.
I found an older article about Goins that says his earlier convictions were for
two counts of kidnapping, aggravated assault, escape and theft of a vehicle
over $10,000.
All those crimes prior to 1999, I think, and he's 22 years old now? I bet he
had sex offenses among the charges that were bargained down with a guilty plea.
Here's the article from when the body was found in the basement:
http://www.starhq.com/html/localnews/0104/010604Body.html

Body found in J.C.
JOHNSON CITY -- A Johnson City man was arrested over the weekend and charged
in connection with the murder of a woman whose body was found in the basement
of his mother's residence.
Glenn Isaac Goins, 22, 420 W. Poplar St., has been charged with first degree
murder and felony murder in the death of a woman who has yet to be identified
by officials with the Johnson City Police Bureau. According to JCPB Capt. Trent
Harris, officers are withholding the woman's name pending a positive
identification of the body. "We have information about the identity and at this
time we are 95 percent positive of the identity of the victim," Harris stated.
Investigators are currently waiting on fingerprint information from another
jurisdiction that should be able to help them confirm the identity of the
victim.
According to police reports, Betty Goins, Glenn Goins' mother, notified
authorities around 10 a.m. on Jan. 2 after she discovered the body of the woman
in the basement of her residence at 420 W. Poplar St. The woman's hands had
been bound and she was wrapped in plasitic.
According to Harris, the woman's body had been in the house for
approximately 36 hours at the time it was discovered. Investigators are placing
the woman's time of death "somewhere in the neighborhood of New Years Eve,"
Harris said.
Betty Goins gave investigating officers a description of her son and the
vehicle which he was driving. At that time, officers placed a bulletin with
neighboring states to be on the look out due to the fact that he was wanted for
questioning in relation to the discovery of the body.
Goins was located in Hamilton County, Tenn. near Chattanooga by officers
with the Hamilton County Sheriff's Department in the early morning hours on
Sunday. He was arrested there on an outstanding violation of parole warrant. He
was later transported to the Washington County Detention Center and has since
been charged with murder in connection with the incident in Johnson City.
According to Harris, investigators are not sure at this time what the motive
of the crime was. "To the best of our knowledge it was a chance meeting that he
facilitated," he said.
No cause of death has been determined at this time. The body has been sent
to the Quillen College of Medicine for an autopsy.
According to Harris and JCPB Chief John Lowry, after his arrest, Goins
confessed to investigators that he had killed the woman. Police also report
that Goins informed officers that he was involved in other murders in the area
which are still under investigation. "As it stands right now we have to make
sure we can corroborate the statements he has given us and make sure it is not
just facts that someone could know by reading a newspaper," Harris said.
According to District Attorney General Joe Crumley, Goins, who had served
time with the Tennessee Department of Corrections, has a violent criminal
record including convictions for two counts of kidnapping, aggravated assault,
escape and theft of a vehicle over $10,000.

Anne Warfield

Jan 15, 2004, 10:55:18 AM1/15/04
On 15 Jan 2004 03:25:38 GMT, imno...@aol.commotion (ImNot911) wrote:

>Thanks for the interesting articles, Anne.
>And please accept my apology for the Arkansas joke. It was sort of an insider
>joke since I live there myself.

Okay. :) I grew up in Little Rock, whereabouts are you?

>I found an older article about Goins that says his earlier convictions were for
>two counts of kidnapping, aggravated assault, escape and theft of a vehicle
>over $10,000.
>All those crimes prior to 1999, I think, and he's 22 years old now? I bet he
>had sex offenses among the charges that were bargained down with a guilty plea.

I bet you're right. This guy needs to be put away for good.

Thanks for the earlier article!