4.6 or 5.4 how to tell?

Janet Kidwell

Oct 20, 2001, 8:57:24 PM10/20/01
How can you tell the difference between the two other than the obvious cover
on the engine?The reason I ask is we just bought A used Expedition from
Carmax that was supposed to have A 4.6.When we got it home I lifted the hood
and it has on top of the motor 5.4 liter Triton.I dont know if there was A
typo on the paperwork or if some mechanic put on the wrong cover saying 5.4
liter triton.Thanks for any help.
P.s I'm not complaining if it is the larger engine:)

Bu...@trailertrash.com

Oct 20, 2001, 9:42:20 PM10/20/01

"Janet Kidwell" <shack...@home.com> wrote in message
Are we talking about looking a gift horse in the mouth?

Ajax /remove nospam to email

Oct 20, 2001, 10:08:59 PM10/20/01
On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 00:57:24 GMT, "Janet Kidwell"
<shack...@home.com> wrote:

If you look on the engine valve cover on the drivers side there should
be a sticker that states the engine size. Also that long strip of info
that you see when you open the hood will have the engine size in small
writing next to the box that says catalyst on the left hand side.
Furthermore the tenth digit in the vehicle's id # designates the
engine type but I'm unsure of the code.
The bigger engine gives you more power and torque at the expense of a
few miles less per gallon. I would that the power over 2 mpgs.
"A government which robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul."
George Bernard Shaw

Larry Ebbitt

Oct 21, 2001, 5:04:26 PM10/21/01
On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 00:57:24 GMT, Janet Kidwell
<shack...@home.com> wrote:

I believe the 5.4 has a coil pack over each plug and the 4.6 has one
per bank. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong <g>.

--
Larry Ebbitt - Linux + OS/2 - Atlanta

fox...@digitaldune.net

Oct 22, 2001, 10:44:28 PM10/22/01
You can also run the VIN through a carfax, it won't cost you any to find what
engine size!

Swanny

Oct 25, 2001, 9:25:04 PM10/25/01
I can run a carfax report for you, just email me the VIN.

<fox...@digitaldune.net> wrote in message

Bambino

Oct 29, 2001, 12:40:39 AM10/29/01
Just look at the rear diff - 8.8" for a 4.6, and a 9.75" for the 5.4

done and done

ho...@nospamextremejeep.com

Oct 29, 2001, 1:20:43 AM10/29/01
Yeah, and how is someone that doesn't know what a 4.6 or 5.4 looks like
supposed to tell the difference between or identify an axle?
Um...yeah...that's some...helpful advice. :)

Easiest thing to do is look at the EPA sticker under the hood, it will
have the displacement listed there.

--
Hogan Whittall
This is formal notice under California Assembly Bill 1629, enacted

Andy Sygulla

Oct 29, 2001, 9:28:18 PM10/29/01
also try looking for ur distributer. if you don't have that u have a 5.4
becuz they have the coil on the plug.

"Bambino" <bam...@powersurfr.com> wrote in message

ho...@nospamextremejeep.com

Oct 29, 2001, 9:39:40 PM10/29/01
Distributor? On a Ford modular v8? Not likely.

I love all this GREAT advice... :)

Andy Sygulla <dsyg...@dtgnet.com> wrote:

Dae

Oct 31, 2001, 11:28:38 PM10/31/01
Not sure if it's true for all years, but if you look at the tranny pan
and there is a drain plug, it's a 4r100 trans which means you got the
5.4L.

- Dae
==================

RTrev

Nov 1, 2001, 2:12:20 AM11/1/01
Check the VIN

chemwo...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2020, 2:11:38 AM6/20/20
What if it's not a factory motor how can I tell the difference between a 4.6 and a 5.4

Motors Advisor

Jan 25, 2023, 1:15:05 PM1/25/23
> What if it's not a factory motor how can I tell the difference between a 4.6 and a 5.4

There are a few ways to tell the difference between a 4.6 and a 5.4 Ford engine:

1. Check the engine code: The engine code can be found on a sticker on the valve cover or on the emissions sticker in the engine bay. The engine code for a 4.6 is typically "4.6L" or "4.6L SOHC" (Single Overhead Cam) and the engine code for a 5.4 is typically "5.4L" or "5.4L SOHC" or "5.4L DOHC" (Dual Overhead Cam).
2. Check the engine size: The 4.6 liter engine is physically smaller than the 5.4 liter engine, so if you are able to visually inspect the engine, you can tell the difference by size. The 4.6 liter engine is around 31 inches long, while the 5.4 liter engine is around 34 inches long.
3. Check the engine's specifications: The 4.6 liter engine typically has a bore of 90mm and a stroke of 90mm, while the 5.4 liter engine typically has a bore of 90mm and a stroke of 105mm.
4. Check the VIN number: The VIN number of the vehicle can also indicate the engine type, check the 8th digit of the VIN number it should be a "W" for a 4.6L engine and "Y" for a 5.4

--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/ford_trucks/4-6-or-5-4-how-to-tell-2143903-.htm