Nice Research Site

Relichunter

Aug 15, 2013, 5:48:10 PM8/15/13
My favorite period in American History is the Colonial Period from the
time the French and British struggled for control of the North
American Continent.

Some of the better books were written many years ago and have long
been out of print. Of the ones listed below, I have most in my book
collection though the books by Benson John Lossing are really
tattered.

I found this site:
http://archive.org/details/texts
and downloaded electronic copies of these somewhat scarce and out of
print books.

I can much more easily take these books in electronic format and read
them while out on the boat or simply relaxing at home. I do prefer the
straight .pdf format over say the .epub. Seems like the .epub books
have been scanned in and processed by OCR. However, optical character
recognition has its limitations so spelling or other "strange" symbols
sometimes appear making the material difficult to read.

For anyone interested in the early history of our country, these are
some of my personal favorites, particularly Montcalm and Wolfe by
Parkman. All of them can be downloaded from the above web site.

Benson John Lossing:
The Pictorial Field-book of the Revolution V1-V2
The pictorial field-book of the War of 1812

Francis Parkman's Works:
Pioneers of France In The New World V1-V2
Jesuits in North America V1-V2
The Old Regime Canada V1-V2
Half Century Conflict V1-V2
Montcalm And Wolfe V1-V3
Conspiracy Of Pontiac V1-V3
Count Frontenac V1-V2
La Salle V1

George Bancroft
History Of The United States V1-V10

Warmest Regards,
Relichunter

Dave Farmer

Aug 16, 2013, 5:24:29 AM8/16/13
http://www.convertfiles.com/

is a good site to convert file formats (epub to pdf etc.)

Joe Roberts

Aug 16, 2013, 6:41:32 PM8/16/13
Thank you for the links, RH.

I'm currently reading a history of part of Missouri, the book dating from
about 1882 (it has no date inside). It's a photocopy and sometimes one has
to guess at some of the words. But at least it's a direct photocopy -- an
OCR attempt could be even more inscrutable.

Cheers,

Joe

Relichunter

Aug 20, 2013, 5:43:52 PM8/20/13
On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 05:24:29 -0400, Dave Farmer
<farme...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>http://www.convertfiles.com/
>
>is a good site to convert file formats (epub to pdf etc.)

Snipped for brevity:

Thank you very much for the link Dave.

Warmest Regards,
Relichunter

Dave Farmer

Aug 22, 2013, 6:42:14 PM8/22/13
Happy to be of help.

Please keep sharing the helpful and enjoyable stories!

Dave