Metal Detectors

sgt23

Dec 2, 2015, 2:33:26 AM12/2/15
What are you guys using these days? Do you keep up with the trends or do you stick with what you know?

Joe Roberts

Dec 5, 2015, 10:18:21 AM12/5/15

"sgt23" wrote:

> What are you guys using these days? Do you keep up with the trends or do
> you stick with what you know?

It looks like this place is almost closed. Too bad, it was a good place to
talk about metal detecting.

Last month I got a good deal on a Garrett GTI2500, and it's an excellent
detector. It will go to the beach, because it has a good salt elimination
mode.

I took it to a local park and came up with two Wheat cents, a 1956 silver
Roosevelt dime, plus the usual clad stuff. The dime was 7 inches down.
There was plenty of fresh air and good exercise too.

Joe

danhug...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2015, 10:34:06 AM12/6/15
Joe, most groups like this (googlegroups; "alt." groups) are dying or gone
because it's all moved to Facebook. I belong to about 40 treasure and
metal detecting groups on Facebook, and most of the are VERY active -
several thousand members, and dozens of posts every day.

I can't even reply to emails from this group - I have to go to the internet web site to reply to notes. Facebook makes it so darned EASY.

sgt23

Mar 5, 2016, 5:18:19 PM3/5/16
Have you had any luck with your new metal detector? Please feel free to share your finds.

Joe Roberts

Mar 6, 2016, 12:35:07 PM3/6/16

"sgt23" wrote:

> Have you had any luck with your new metal detector? Please feel free to
> share your finds.

Yes, the Garrett GTI2500 is excellent. Also I have a Teknetics Gamma 6000.
Both of them work well.

The best thing about the GTI2500 is the "imaging". After finding a target,
then holding down the Pinpointing button, it shows the approximate size and
depth of the target. It's pretty accurate. In other words, it can show the
difference between a small object (like a coin) that's shallow, or a large
one (like a soda can) that's deeper. It shows it right on the display.

That can be done with other detectors, of course, by swinging the coil and
listening for the approximate size (width) of the signal. But it's
automatic on the GTI2500, and saves a lot of time.

The GTI2500 has a coil with three elements: one Transmit element, and two
Receive elements. The Receive parts are of different diameters, so the
detector can tell about how large the target is, in addition to the depth.
Other detectors use a coil with just one Transmit and one Receive element.

The Teknetics Gamma is also a good detector. One of the best things about
it is its light weight. It's a lot lighter than the Garrett, so it's easier
on the arm when being out for a long day in detecting. The Gamma has a
numeric display (which the GTI2500) doesn't have), so you get real numbers
for the targets. It's easy to see how steady the target ID is when swinging
from different directions.

The weather is getting good for detecting. How's things going?

Joe

sgt23

Mar 6, 2016, 4:55:29 PM3/6/16
On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 2:33:26 AM UTC-5, sgt23 wrote:
> What are you guys using these days? Do you keep up with the trends or do you stick with what you know?

Things are going okay here, I'm not able too get out much this weekend due to some back pains. Which is heart breaking since its been above 60 since Friday, Thursday we got a surprise snow storm. I've heard some good things about the the Teknetic machines, especially on the light weight and I've also seen a few nice finds from them as well. One guy from a Facebook board found a chain with a modern 1/10th oz gold coin connected to it. If I can ever gather the cash I might purchase a Teknetic my self. Right I'll stick with Ace 3 I'm using, its a coin finding machine. I just wish it was better at find silver or maybe it's just the lack of silver around here?