How to take a cab from Heathrow to Hounslow without getting lynched?

Alistair Bell

Feb 28, 2003, 1:54:25 PM2/28/03
EasyCar (the b*****ds) have moved the Hounslow West rental location
from the station to some storage company in the middle of nowhere,
waaay too far to walk from the station with large quantities of
luggage. That means that instead of catching the Tube, we're going to
need to take a taxi from Heathrow to Hounslow.

Needless to say, the cabbie will be almost as hopping mad at having to
take such a short fare as we are at having to take a cab in the first
place.

Can somebody give me any suggestions on mollifying him without being
out of pocket by miles? How much has it cost him in time and money to
pick up a fare at Heathrow? Bear in mind that we wanted to spend £2.60
on a couple of Tube tickets, and now instead we're having to spend £10
(or whatever) on the cab, but the cabbie was hoping for a £50 fare. So
we're not inclined to spend money that we don't want to, but we want
to arrive in one piece.

If we increase the tip a bit from the standard 10% to 15% or so, will
that help?

Robin Cox

Feb 28, 2003, 2:11:21 PM2/28/03
"Alistair Bell" <spam...@bellsonline.com> wrote in message

> EasyCar (the b*****ds) have moved the Hounslow West rental location
> from the station to some storage company in the middle of nowhere,
> waaay too far to walk from the station with large quantities of
> luggage. That means that instead of catching the Tube, we're going to
> need to take a taxi from Heathrow to Hounslow.
>
> Needless to say, the cabbie will be almost as hopping mad at having to
> take such a short fare as we are at having to take a cab in the first
> place.

I found this on www.ChiswickW4.com

=====
I don't know if this is definitely true however I have heard that if a black cab at Heathrow
gets a fare to Brentford, they can get a ticket that means they can go to the front of the cab
rank again to compensate for the "low" fare... whereas with a fare to Chiswick, they don't
and need to queue hours again for a fare if they return to Heathrow.
=====

and

=====
That is absolutely right you should say Brentford as your destination if you are getting a
black cab.

If you are not on expenses most mini-cab firms do pick-ups at Heathrow at a pre-arranged
spot. If you ring them as soon as you leave the plane they are there waiting by the time you've
collected your baggage. Cost is around £15 to Chiswick and if the taxi queue is long you will
be home much sooner than taking a black cab which now costs £30-35.
=====

HTH

Robin

Hunter

Feb 28, 2003, 2:36:47 PM2/28/03
On 28 Feb 2003 10:54:25 -0800, spam...@bellsonline.com (Alistair
Bell) wrote:

I think the issue is that the cabs have to line up for a couple of
hours to get a fare at LHR. If they get a "short" fare, then they're
allowed back near the top of the line. Hounslow is just a little too
far to make it back in time, hence the grumpy reception - it's not
just that they don't like short fares in general. I don't think an
extra 5% is going to help here. There used to be a taxi firm just
outside Hounslow East station, if that helps (make sure they've got an
A-Z in the car before you set off!).

ps. On a few occasions, I've been transferred out of one cab into
another just outside the airport.

Good luck!

Huntera

ps. Why EasyCar - do they give good rates/deals/service whatever? We
use Enterprise at Hatton Cross - and they'll pick you up.

wdh

Feb 28, 2003, 3:41:26 PM2/28/03

"Alistair Bell" <spam...@bellsonline.com> wrote in message
. That means that instead of catching the Tube, we're going to
> need to take a taxi from Heathrow to Hounslow.
>
> Needless to say, the cabbie will be almost as hopping mad at having to
> take such a short fare as we are at having to take a cab in the first
> place.

Get the tube to Hounslow West and then get a cab from there for about a
fiver.
Ignoring the rights and wrongs of the black cab situation, its probably the
easiest way round the situation.

wdh

Keith Willshaw

Feb 28, 2003, 4:45:17 PM2/28/03

"Alistair Bell" <spam...@bellsonline.com> wrote in message

Tell the cabbie you want to go to a Heathrow airport hotel, apparently
this allows him to get permission from the dispatcher allowing him back
to the front of the cab queue.

When out of the terminal area tell him where you reallly want to go.

Keith

tuscaneer

Feb 28, 2003, 6:35:14 PM2/28/03

"Keith Willshaw" <keith@kwillshaw_NoSpam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Doesn't need to be a hotel, I think it's anywhere in the local area. I've
got a taxi ride from T4 at Hrow to a business park at Bedfont Lakes, and he
just got a slip from the office & can go back to the front of the queue
afterwards. No problems at all.

Tuscaneer

Ringolevio

Mar 1, 2003, 1:14:47 AM3/1/03

"Alistair Bell" <spam...@bellsonline.com> wrote in message

Apart from all the other suggestion, why not email Easycar and see if they
will pick you up at the tube station? Many car hire companies are happy
enough to do this if you ask nicely. Although I suspect that Easycar may not
be as flexible as other companies in this way.

Lansbury

Mar 1, 2003, 4:32:39 AM3/1/03
On 28 Feb 2003 10:54:25 -0800, spam...@bellsonline.com (Alistair Bell) wrote:

>Needless to say, the cabbie will be almost as hopping mad at having to
>take such a short fare as we are at having to take a cab in the first
>place.

I live locally to the airport and often take a black cab home from a long haul
trip, as well as when I finish work late sometimes and don't have the car.

If the cabbie gets a local fare the traffic warden supervising the cab rank
will issue him with a voucher to return straight back to that terminal on his
return to the airport. The cabbie is there to provide a service and must
accept any fare, if they give you a hard time take their badge number and
complain.

--
Lansbury

Lansbury

Mar 1, 2003, 4:35:12 AM3/1/03
On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 21:45:17 -0000, "Keith Willshaw"
<keith@kwillshaw_NoSpam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Tell the cabbie you want to go to a Heathrow airport hotel, apparently
>this allows him to get permission from the dispatcher allowing him back
>to the front of the cab queue.
>
>When out of the terminal area tell him where you reallly want to go.

At which point he takes you to your originally requested destination and
charges you for it :-)

The traffic warden in charge of the taxi rank will ask where you want to go.
If it local they will give the driver a voucher to return straight back to
that terminal. In theory the cabbie has 30 minutes in which to get back, but
the wardens aren't that strict about it.

--
Lansbury

Lansbury

Mar 1, 2003, 4:37:59 AM3/1/03
See what inconvenience you get by trying to save a few pounds. Be interesting
to know when you have paid the extra charges easycar will add, plus cab fare
etc, how much more say a car from Alamo would have cost, with their bus
picking you up right outside the terminal and dropping you back on completion
of the hire.

--
Lansbury

SteveW

Mar 1, 2003, 6:34:05 AM3/1/03
An option could be to take the H23 bus from Terminal 4.

Easycar advise taking getting the bus to the Hibernia Road stop on Staines
Road.

TfL shows the buses depart T4 every 20 minutes during the day and every 30
mins in the evening until 23:37. Journey time is 15 minutes.

(If you arrive at T1-3 , the Heathrow Express is free for travel to T4)

Office Manager

Mar 1, 2003, 7:13:07 AM3/1/03
Bell) wrote:

>>Needless to say, the cabbie will be almost as hopping mad at having to
>>take such a short fare as we are at having to take a cab in the first
>>place.

As long as the fare begins or ends in the Metropolitan district and
the journey is under 6 miles it is Illegal for the taxi to refuse your
fare.
Its called taking the rough with the smooth, if the taxi didn't want a
short fare, he shouldst rank up at the airport.
Also because of the way the Taxis are ranked and despatched at the
airport, he wont have any choice but to take you.

Coming into London Heathrow?
Fixed price Transfers to Central London
http://www.airporttransfers.biz
Call us on 0700-AIRTRANS

Mike Hughes

Mar 1, 2003, 7:57:16 AM3/1/03
In article <cm816vo7n6n04t1s2...@4ax.com>, Office Manager
<ca...@airporttranfsfers.biz> writes

>On 28 Feb 2003 10:54:25 -0800, spam...@bellsonline.com (Alistair
>Bell) wrote:
>

>>>Needless to say, the cabbie will be almost as hopping mad at having to
>>>take such a short fare as we are at having to take a cab in the first
>>>place.
>As long as the fare begins or ends in the Metropolitan district and
>the journey is under 6 miles it is Illegal for the taxi to refuse your
>fare.
>Its called taking the rough with the smooth, if the taxi didn't want a
>short fare, he shouldst rank up at the airport.
>Also because of the way the Taxis are ranked and despatched at the
>airport, he wont have any choice but to take you.

The above posting shows that your lack of taxi law knowledge. The
situation as far as London licensed taxis are concerned is as follows

A taxi MUST take a hiring within the Metropolitan (and City) Police
district up to a distance of 12 miles (it used to be 6 but was changed
recently) OR one hour. So if the journey would involve going through
very heavy traffic and would be likely to take more than 1 hour he could
refuse.

From Heathrow airport the distance is 20 miles if within the
Metropolitan or City Police districts.

As far as ranking at Heathrow is concerned, the situation is this. Taxis
wishing to pickup at Heathrow must first enter a taxi feeder park. They
pay a fee for this (currently £2.60 I believe). When taxis are required
at the ranks at each terminal the warden controlling the rank will
telephone the feeder park and the cabs are dispatched (in batches of 10
or 20) to the appropriate rank.

This process may take 1,2,3 or in some cases as much as 4 hours before a
driver gets to the rank. The hope is that they will get a fare in to
central London. There is a system which has been agreed by the taxi
trade and the police that if a taxi gets a 'local' fare he can receive a
ticket from the warden to get return directly to the rank he left
without first going through the feeder park again. There is usually a
time limit to this. I can't remember the exact timing, but in some
exceptional cases the warden may allow a small amount of leeway if the
slip road has particularly heavy traffic for example.

The advice you've been give by some previous posters would help the taxi
driver to return to the rank without too much fuss. Any driver who
doesn't appreciate your help would (IMHO) be foolish to himself and the
trade as a whole.

Mike
(currently 19 months into the Knowledge of London who keeps himself up
to date with the TAXI trade news)

--
Mike Hughes, a Brighton *licensed* taxi driver.
At home in Tarring, Worthing, West Sussex, England

Need a taxi from Brighton Worthing Gatwick or Heathrow - please visit this site
www.gatwick-taxi.com

Bad boy rak

Mar 1, 2003, 10:30:26 AM3/1/03
Sod tipping the black cab driver. They earn a bloody fortune and they are
out to con you as much as possible. The number of times I have taken an
expense-paid cab and the just seem to love taking the best route for traffic
which adds at least 10 minutes onto my journey. Also I once took a taxi
from home (near Maida Vale) to Paddington and the cheeky git of a cabbie
told me that the Heathrow Express was not working in the hope that he would
get a £50 fare rather than a £4 fare.

Mike Hughes

Mar 1, 2003, 4:22:49 PM3/1/03
In article <3e60d213$1...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, Bad boy rak
<no...@nowhere.com> writes

>Sod tipping the black cab driver. They earn a bloody fortune

No they don't. They don't get holiday pay, sick pay, or any other
benefits that those in paid employment take for granted.

>and they are
>out to con you as much as possible.

Wrong. The vast majority of cab drivers are honest, hard working people
who want to get their customers to the destination as quickly as
possible.

Yes, there are *some* (a very, very, small number) who are out to son
the public. These are detested by the genuine drivers as much, or even
more than, the travelling public.

You can say the same about any occupation. There are bad doctors,
dentists, police officers, nurses, bankers, etc.

> The number of times I have taken an
>expense-paid cab and the just seem to love taking the best route for traffic
>which adds at least 10 minutes onto my journey.

Taxi drivers are legally obliged to take the SHORTEST route. This may
not be the quickest. If you want to take another route then all you have
to do is to tell the driver. However, be aware that as the meter works
mainly on distance your final fare may be higher (but not always if you
are stuck in really thick traffic since the time element kicks in)

I once had a passenger in Brighton who wanted to go from the Avenue,
Bevendean (north east of the town centre) to Portslade (west of Brighton
town centre). I started to go via Lewes Road in towards the town centre
when the customer shouted "Which way are you going, over the top is
quicker". So I turned the cab around and went via the Brighton by-pass.
He was right - it was quicker, but the fare was about £4 more than it
would have been had I gone the other route.

I'm always happy to go the way the customer wants to go - I usually make
more money

>Also I once took a taxi
>from home (near Maida Vale) to Paddington and the cheeky git of a cabbie
>told me that the Heathrow Express was not working in the hope that he would
>get a £50 fare rather than a £4 fare.

Was the Heathrow Express actually running on that day when you got
there. It is possible that it had not been running and the driver was
*genuinely* trying to help you :-)

I have experienced this frequently at Brighton, particularly on weekends
when there are engineering works. Many people stay in Brighton overnight
before flying out from Gatwick, then allow only just enough time to get
to Gatwick by train. It is very common for the trains to be routed via
Littlehampton which adds *at least* 1 hour to the journey time - and
they think we're trying to con them! They then have to pay the fare to
Gatwick (usually at a price a little higher than that originally quoted
by the driver), plus the fare they have already paid to get to the
station instead of one fixed price.

How much is the fare on Heathrow Express these days. I read recently
that this is (one of) the most expensive train journey(s) in the UK. Is
it possible that 4 people taking a taxi would be cheaper than taking the
train?

Mike
(who's currently 19 months into the London knowledge)

JF Mezei

Mar 1, 2003, 9:41:09 PM3/1/03
Why not call that rental car agency in their Hounslow office and ask them what
they think the best way to get to them from Heathrow would be ?

Roland Perry

Mar 3, 2003, 2:38:15 PM3/3/03
In article <1RN8iIAp...@mikehughes.demon.co.uk>, Mike Hughes
<mi...@mikehughes.demon.co.uk> writes

>How much is the fare on Heathrow Express these days. I read recently
>that this is (one of) the most expensive train journey(s) in the UK. Is
>it possible that 4 people taking a taxi would be cheaper than taking the
>train?

I found a site today where a Taxi firm was offering rides from LHR to
"anywhere in Central London" for 65 quid. Similar deals for Gatwick. The
killer was "Eurostar to Central London" - a bargain at 35 quid!!

Office Manager

Mar 4, 2003, 11:38:12 AM3/4/03
On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 19:38:15 +0000, Roland Perry <rol...@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

65 Quid!!! are they having a laugh????
We only charge 40 Quid for that service to anywhere in London

www.airporttransfers.biz
Fixed price transfers
from all of Londons airports
Call us on 0700-AIRTRANS or +44-(0)870-7777-647
Gatwick, Stansted, Heathrow, Luton
we cover all airports and docks

Mike Hughes

Mar 4, 2003, 7:12:17 PM3/4/03
In article <lhl96v0hd68mn8iar...@4ax.com>, Office Manager
<ca...@airporttradnsfers.biz> writes

>On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 19:38:15 +0000, Roland Perry <rol...@perry.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>>In article <1RN8iIAp...@mikehughes.demon.co.uk>, Mike Hughes
>>><mi...@mikehughes.demon.co.uk> writes
>>>
>>>I found a site today where a Taxi firm was offering rides from LHR to
>>>"anywhere in Central London" for 65 quid. Similar deals for Gatwick. The
>>>killer was "Eurostar to Central London" - a bargain at 35 quid!!
> 65 Quid!!! are they having a laugh????

Is this site for LONDON licensed TAXIS (black cabs). If it is then they
are committing an offence under the Hackney Carriage Regulations if the
fare they are charging is more than that which would be on the meter.
Likewise with the Eurostar to Central London service. However, Gatwick
to London can be any price (provided it is fixed at the start of the
journey) since Gatwick is outside to licensing area for London cabs and
fares can be fixed at any rate agreed by the parties concerned

If you can post the site address for me then I could possibly tell if
it is a properly licensed LONDON taxi service.

>We only charge 40 Quid for that service to anywhere in London

In a London licensed TAXI? (not a private hire or minicab) I seem to
recall that your company offers a minicab service and it is therefore
not a TAXI service.

Mike
(currently 19 months in to the London knowledge)

Office Manager

Mar 5, 2003, 12:04:37 PM3/5/03

>>>We only charge 40 Quid for that service to anywhere in London
>>>
>>In a London licensed TAXI? (not a private hire or minicab) I seem to
>>recall that your company offers a minicab service and it is therefore
>>not a TAXI service.

Actually we offer both types of vehicles, Both private hire and
Licenced Taxis.
However in the case of the poster previous to this, I think he was
refering to private hire vehicles for a fixed price.

In our case we are fully aware of the law, and it states quite clearly
on the main page of our website
>>Of course if you still require a traditional London Black Taxi Cab, we can also supply those for you as well (black Taxi cabs are metered so we cannot give a fixed price for these, please use our quote request form and select Black cab you will either pay the metered fare or the quoted price whichever is the lower

We got some rather odd emails this am regarding this very matter, so
we just sent them back a copy of the private hire vehicles (London)
Act 1998, and our licence details, and we highlited the sections of
the above act (section 4 mainly) which allows for us to use Licenced
London cabs as Both TAXIS (on meter) and Private hire vehicles (off
meter).
Which BTW means that a Black Taxi can be used as a private hire
vehicle anywhere in the London area, with the meter off, and at a
pre-arranged price, hence no offence would be committed if a black
Taxi was booked as a private hire vehicle, even at Heathrow.
However to be classed as a private hire booking, this would always
have to be booked in advance via a licenced operator at a licenced
center.
In other words you cant just walk up to a Taxi at Heathrow and agree a
price, that is an offence.
here is the relevant section of the act

>>(2) A London PHV operator shall secure that any vehicle which is provided by him for carrying out a private hire booking accepted by him in London is-
>>
>> (a) a vehicle for which a London PHV licence is in force driven by a person holding a London PHV driver's licence; or
>> (b) a London cab driven by a person holding a London cab driver's licence.

full text at
http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1998/80034--a.htm#6

Lord Lucans Valet

Mar 5, 2003, 6:57:00 PM3/5/03
It cost me £450.00 in a black cab from Heathrow to North London,I talked to
the driver as we drove and soon realised from his conversation that he was
none other than the grand wizard of the North London chapter of the British
Ku Klux Clan and further that he was involved in Devil worship and
withcraft,the fare came to £45.00 and although the driver did not make any
demands apart from the legal amount I felt a strange burning sensation in my
brain and realised that he was giving me the evil eye, I then went into my
house to where I keep some spare cash in an old shoebox under the stairs and
paid the driver in used tenners.I have done some calculations and reckon
that most taxi drivers must be earning about £600.000 per year which would
account as to why most of them live in Hampstead Chelsea and Mayfair and
send their kids to top public schools

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/

Seanie O'Kilfyle

Mar 11, 2003, 8:00:31 AM3/11/03

"Mike Hughes" <mi...@mikehughes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <cm816vo7n6n04t1s2...@4ax.com>, Office Manager
> <ca...@airporttranfsfers.biz> writes

> >As long as the fare begins or ends in the Metropolitan district and
> >the journey is under 6 miles it is Illegal for the taxi to refuse your
> >fare.
> >Its called taking the rough with the smooth, if the taxi didn't want a
> >short fare, he shouldst rank up at the airport.
> >Also because of the way the Taxis are ranked and despatched at the
> >airport, he wont have any choice but to take you.
> >
> The above posting shows that your lack of taxi law knowledge.

Steady Mike

"Office Manager" is a licensed Black Cabbie as far as I know

Office Manager

Mar 11, 2003, 9:20:43 AM3/11/03
On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:00:31 -0000, "Seanie O'Kilfyle" <Se...@Sean.com>
wrote:

>>> The above posting shows that your lack of taxi law knowledge.
>>

>>Steady Mike
>>
>>"Office Manager" is a licensed Black Cabbie as far as I know

Office manager is indeed.

Less Ismore

Mar 11, 2003, 10:57:09 PM3/11/03
Perhaps someone would know this.

Next month I need to take a cab from Victoria Station to lodging
which is not far from Waterloo Station. Distance is approximately
two miles. Any ideas as to what the cab fare should be?

Please don't suggest the tube as we will have luggage and arriving
at Victoria - unfortunatly - during the morning rush.

Thanks.

Gary Jenkins

Mar 12, 2003, 4:07:04 AM3/12/03
CropD...@mailandnews.com (Less Ismore) wrote in message news:<37ec0c15.03031...@posting.google.com>...

£6-£8. Roads should be pretty clear at that time, in part due to the
congestion charge.

Miss L.Toe

Mar 12, 2003, 4:21:59 AM3/12/03

"Less Ismore" <CropD...@mailandnews.com> wrote in message
> [...]

My guess is that it will probably be about 5 pounds, but if it is during
peak periods 8-10am 4-6pm it could be more. Ooops I just noticed you said
during the morning rush so I'd allow 10-15 pounds max. But I'm guessing.The
hotel may be able to suggest a prebooked minicab service - which should be
cheaper and waiting for you.

If you arriving at Victoria I guess you are coming from Gatwick ?
Is your hotel walkable (with your luggage) from Waterloo, you can get a
train from Gatwick to Waterloo if you change at Clapham Junction - note
Clapham Junction is a big station with ramps/stairs and about 25 platforms -
so it depends on how much luggage you have and how fit you are.

Mike Hughes

Mar 12, 2003, 5:28:50 AM3/12/03
In article <e4721ab0.03031...@posting.google.com>, Gary
Jenkins <gary...@hotmail.com> writes

>CropD...@mailandnews.com (Less Ismore) wrote in message
>957.4d...@posting.google.com>...

>> Perhaps someone would know this.
>>
>> Next month I need to take a cab from Victoria Station to lodging
>> which is not far from Waterloo Station. Distance is approximately
>> two miles. Any ideas as to what the cab fare should be?
>>
>> Please don't suggest the tube as we will have luggage and arriving
>> at Victoria - unfortunatly - during the morning rush.
>>
>> Thanks.
>

>£6-£8. Roads should be pretty clear at that time, in part due to the
>congestion charge.

Just make certain that you either go out the front entrance of the
station, or if arriving on the Gatwick Express, by the separate RAFT
(Rail And Freight Terminal) entrance and that you get in to a properly
licensed London taxi. If you've been to London before you will be
familiar with their appearance. If not there are various web site which
you can look at, including that of the Public Carriage Office which also
lists the scale of charges (sorry haven't got the URL at the moment).

Mike

Office Manager

Mar 12, 2003, 9:04:17 AM3/12/03
On 11 Mar 2003 19:57:09 -0800, CropD...@mailandnews.com (Less
Ismore) wrote:

http://www.londontransport.co.uk/pco/fares_newtarrifs.shtml
These are the new Tarriffs for licensed taxis, if you can work out
what you fair is going to be, good luck

Terry Harper

Mar 12, 2003, 6:27:33 PM3/12/03
"Miss L.Toe" <x...@x.com> wrote in message

> If you arriving at Victoria I guess you are coming from Gatwick ?
> Is your hotel walkable (with your luggage) from Waterloo, you can get a
> train from Gatwick to Waterloo if you change at Clapham Junction - note
> Clapham Junction is a big station with ramps/stairs and about 25
platforms -
> so it depends on how much luggage you have and how fit you are.

Better to take a Thameslink to London Bridge, then catch a Charing Cross
train from the same platform to Waterloo East. Minimal humping of luggage
required, and cheaper than Gatwick Express.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Roland Perry

Mar 14, 2003, 3:15:52 AM3/14/03
In article <b4ofp4$884$1...@helle.btinternet.com>, Terry Harper
<Terry....@btinternet.com> writes

>Better to take a Thameslink to London Bridge, then catch a Charing Cross
>train from the same platform to Waterloo East. Minimal humping of luggage
>required, and cheaper than Gatwick Express.

Yes, but there are several Thameslink trains from Gatwick in the morning
rush that don't go via London Bridge. A good look at the timetable is
required.
--
Roland Perry

Tom Cassidy

Mar 14, 2003, 6:14:54 PM3/14/03
Make Mad Money Easy

Get Rich Quick

Rating: G
Quality: Good

HOW TO BECOME RICH !!!!!!

HOW TO TURN £30 INTO MILLIONS: READING THIS COULD CHANGE YOUR LIFE! IT DOES
WORK!
I found this on a bulletin board and decided to try it. A little while back,
I was browsing through newsgroups, just like you are now, and came across an
article similar to this that said you could make hundreds of thousands of
pounds within weeks (which would soon turn into millions) with only an
initial investment of £30.00! So I thought, "Yeah right, this must be a
scam", but like most of us, I was curious, so I kept reading. Anyway, it
said that you send £5.00 to each of the 6 names and address stated in the
article. You then place your own name and address in the bottom of the list
at #6, and post the article in at least 250 newsgroups. (There are
thousands) No catch that was it. So after thinking it over, and talking to a
few people first, I thought about trying it. I figured: "what have I got to
lose except 6 stamps and £30.00, right?" Then I invested the measly £30.00
(I use the word "measly" because £30 really is measly compared to the money
I have made through the initial investment). Well GUESS WHAT!?... within 7
days, I started getting money in the mail! I was shocked! I figured it would
end soon, but the money just kept coming in. In my first week, I made about
£350.00. By the end of the second week I had made a total of over
£10,000.00! In the third week I had over £100,000.00 and it's still growing.
This is now my fourth week and I have made a total of just over £420,000.00
and it's still coming in rapidly. It's certainly worth £30.00, and 6 stamps,
I have spent more than that on the lottery!! Let me tell you how this works
and most importantly, WHY it works... Also, make sure you print a copy of
this article NOW, so you can get the information off of it as you need it. I
promise you that if you follow the directions exactly, that you will start
making more money than you thought possible by doing something so easy!
Suggestion: Read this entire message carefully! (print it out or download
it.) Follow the simple directions and watch the money come in! It's easy.
It's legal. And, your investment is only £30.00 (Plus postage)

IMPORTANT: This is not a rip-off; it is not indecent; it is not illegal; and
it is 99% no risk - it really works! If all of the following instructions
are adhered to, you will receive extraordinary dividends. PLEASE NOTE:
Please follow these directions EXACTLY, and £500,000 or more can be yours in
20 to 60 days. This program remains successful because of the honesty and
integrity of the participants. Please continue its success by carefully
adhering to the instructions. You will now become part of the Mail Order
business. In this business your product is not solid and tangible, it's a
service. You are in the business of developing Mailing Lists. Many large
corporations are happy to pay big bucks for quality lists. However, the
money made from the mailing lists is secondary to the income which is made
from people like you and me asking to be included in that list. Here are the
4 easy steps to success:

STEP 1: Get 6 separate pieces of paper and write the following on each piece
of paper "PLEASE PUT ME ON YOUR MAILING LIST." Once added to the list, each
person will send you a new component and/or moneymaking advice to help you
along the way. This advice has been passed down person to person and is very
helpful. Now get 6 UK £5.00 notes and place ONE inside EACH of the 6 pieces
of paper so the note will not be seen through the envelope (to prevent
theft). Next, place one paper in each of the 6 envelopes and seal them. You
should now have 6 sealed envelopes, each with a piece of paper stating the
above phrase, your name and address, and £5.00 note. What you are doing is
creating a service. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY LEGAL! You are requesting a
legitimate service and you are paying for it! Like most of us I was a little
skeptical and a little worried about the legal aspects of it all. So I
checked it out with the U.K. Post Office and they confirmed that it is
indeed legal. Mail the 6 envelopes to the following addresses:

1) Anne Krakowski, 76 Clerkenwell Rd, London, EC1
2) Jane Edmond, 49 Guildford St, Luton, Beds, LU1 2NJ
3) Greg Palance, 249 London Rd, Croydon, Surrey, CRO TRL
4) Aaron Bliss, 5 Baker's Yard Baker's Row, London, EC1
5) L Dukes, 156 Whetstone Lane, Aldridge, Walsall, West Midlands, WS9 0EZ

6) Alex Krycek, Barton House, Barton Lane, Bradley, Staffs, ST18 9EF

STEP 2: Now take the #1 name off the list that you see above, move the other
names up (6 becomes 5, 5 becomes 4, etc...) and add YOUR Name as number 6 on
the list.
STEP 3: Change anything you need to, but try to keep this article as close
to original as possible. Now, post your amended article to at least 250
newsgroups. (I think there are close to 24,000 groups) All you need is 250,
but remember, the more you post, the more money you make! You won't get very
much unless you post like crazy.
:)This is perfectly legal! If you have any doubts, refer to Title 18 Sec.
1302 & 1341 of the Postal laws. Keep a copy of these steps for yourself and,
whenever you need money, you can use it again, and again. PLEASE REMEMBER
that this program remains successful because of the honesty and integrity of
the participants and by their carefully adhering to the directions. Look at
it this way. If you are of integrity, the program will continue and the
money that so many others have received will come your way. NOTE: You may
want to retain every name and address sent to you, either on a computer or
hard copy and keep the notes people send you. This VERIFIES that you are
truly providing a service. (Also, it might be a good idea to wrap the cash
in dark paper to reduce the risk of mail theft.) So, as each post is
downloaded and the directions carefully followed, six members will be
reimbursed for their participation as a List Developer with one each. Your
name will move up the list geometrically so that when your name reaches the
#1 position you will be receiving hundreds of thousands of pounds in CASH!!!
What an opportunity for only £30.00 (£5.00 for each of the first six people
listed above) Send it now, then add your own name to the list and you're in
business!
DIRECTIONS ----- FOR HOW TO POST TO NEWSGROUPS------------
Step 1) You do not need to re-type this entire letter to do your own
posting. Simply put your cursor at the beginning of this letter and drag
your cursor to the bottom of this document (so that the document is
"highlighted"), and select 'copy' from the edit menu. This will copy the
entire letter into the computer's memory.
Step 2) Open a blank 'notepad' file (such as in Microsoft Word) and place
your cursor at the top of the blank page. From the 'edit' menu select
'paste'. This will paste a copy of the letter into notepad so that you can
add your name to the list.
Step 3) Save your new notepad file as a .txt file. If you want to do your
postings in different settings, you'll always have this file to go back to.
Step 4) Use Netscape or Internet explorer and try searching for various
newsgroups (on-line forums, message boards, chat sites, discussions.)
Step 5) Visit these message boards and post this article as a new message by
highlighting the text of this letter and selecting paste from the edit menu.
Fill in the Subject, this will be the header that everyone sees as they
scroll through the list of postings in a particular group, click the post
message button. You're done with your first one! Congratulations...THAT'S
IT! All you have to do is jump to different newsgroups and post away, after
you get the hang of it, it will take about 30 seconds for each newsgroup!
**REMEMBER, THE MORE NEWSGROUPS YOU POST IN, THE MORE MONEY YOU WILL MAKE!
BUT YOU HAVE TO POST A MINIMUM OF 250** That's it! You will begin receiving
money from around the world within days! You may eventually want to rent a
P.O.Box due to the large amount of mail you will receive. If you wish to
stay anonymous, you can invent a name to use, as long as the postman will
deliver it. **JUST MAKE SURE ALL THE ADDRESSES ARE CORRECT.**
Now the WHY part: Out of 250 postings, say I receive only 5 replies (a very
low example). So then I made £25.00 with my name at #6 on the letter. Now,
each of the 5 persons who just sent me £5.00 make the MINIMUM 250 postings,
each with my name at #5 and only 5 persons respond to each of the original
5, that is another £125.00 for me, now those 25 each make 250 MINIMUM posts
with my name at #4 and only 5 replies each, I will bring in an additional
£725.00! Now, those 125 persons turn around and post the MINIMUM 250 with my
name at #3 and only receive 5 replies each, I will make an additional
£3130.00! OK, now here is the fun part, each of those 625 persons post a
MINIMUM 250 letters with my name at #2 and they each only receive 5 replies,
which just made me £15,725.00!!! Those 3,125 persons will all deliver this
message to 250 newsgroups with my name at #1 and if still 5 persons per 200
newsgroups react I will receive £75312.00! With an original investment of
only £30.00! AMAZING! When your name is no longer on the list, you just take
the latest posting in the newsgroups, and send out another £30.00 to names
on the list, putting your name at number 6 again. And start posting again.
The thing to remember is: do you realize that thousands upon thousands of
people all over the world are joining the internet and reading these
articles everyday?, JUST LIKE YOU are now!! So, can you afford £30.00 and
see if it really works?? I think so... People have said, "what if the plan
is played out and no one sends you the money? So what! What are the chances
of that happening when there are tons of new honest users and new honest
people who are joining the internet and newsgroups everyday and are willing
to give it a try? Estimates are at 20,000 to 50,000 new users, every day,
with thousands of those joining the actual internet. Remember, play FAIRLY
and HONESTLY and this will really work.
NOTE: This program can and will work for you as long as you post the message
in at least 250 newsgroups (e.g. message boards). This might take a long
time, probably several hours. But remember, as far fetched and ridiculous as
it seems, if you follow all the instructions of this system, you will become
rich within an extremely short period of time. Believe me, IT'S WORTH IT!!!
I just urge you to be fair and honest. As long as each person (including
you!) sends £5.00 to everyone on the list, everybody (also including you!)
will become extremely wealthy within just a couple of months, and will start
receiving money within the first week or two!
Legal Note: This system is perfectly legal. It is not a lottery or a scheme
intending to defraud, it is rather a business. It is part of the mail order
business. By receiving money from others, you do not offer them a lottery or
any prize based on chance; you simply offer them a service (i.e. placing
them on your mailing list), which they request in their letter. By
definition, this is a service: a consumer desires something (being put on
your mailing list) and is willing to pay for it, and you fulfill their
desire by performing the service of putting their name on your mailing list
for a set fee. By sending money to others and writing "please place me on
your mailing list", you do not ask to be entered into a lottery or win a
prize based on chance, you are asking for a service. Therefore, this system
is perfectly legal.

Paul Middlestat

Mar 15, 2003, 12:46:08 PM3/15/03
What would you London dwellers suggest as the least expensive means to
transport five adults from Gatwick to lodging near Waterloo Station?
We will each be carrying only a single small to moderate size piece of
luggage. No steamer trunks or large bags.

Thanks so much.

Office Manager

Mar 15, 2003, 2:25:26 PM3/15/03
On 15 Mar 2003 09:46:08 -0800, wayupno...@bigmailbox.net (Paul
Middlestat) wrote:

We would charge you 90 Pounds for this service in one of our MPVs see
the website for more details

---
Coming into London Gatwick?

Fixed price Transfers to Central London
http://www.airporttransfers.biz

Steve

Mar 15, 2003, 3:22:11 PM3/15/03
In news:Pine.LNX.4.44.030315...@pachabel.ednet.co.uk,
Hilary <hilary...@spamcop.net> typed:
> Possibly a toss-up between the Gatwick Express and the Tube or an
> official taxi. Don't use any of the unofficial ones (they're usually
> the
> ones touting for business in their private car).
>
> I'd probably go for the taxi, as there are 5 of you.

Agreed but phone in advance to pre-book for a private hire firm and order a
people carrier, these tend to be cheaper then just turning up.

Terry Harper

Mar 15, 2003, 5:07:44 PM3/15/03
"Paul Middlestat" <wayupno...@bigmailbox.net> wrote in message

Thameslink to London Bridge. Wait on the same platform for a train to
Waterloo East and Charing Cross, and get off at the first stop (Waterloo
east).

James Robinson

Mar 15, 2003, 5:49:59 PM3/15/03
> Possibly a toss-up between the Gatwick Express and the Tube or an official
> taxi. Don't use any of the unofficial ones (they're usually the
> ones touting for business in their private car).
>
> I'd probably go for the taxi, as there are 5 of you.

The train would be 9 or 10 pounds per passenger, depending on the
routing chosen, for a total of 45 or 50 pounds for the five passengers.
They would have to transfer at Victoria, Charing Cross, or London Bridge
to get to Waterloo or Waterloo East.

Train schedules are here:

http://www.rail.co.uk/ukrail/planner/planner.htm

A standard black cab would be something like 75 pounds, but they would
likely need two taxis for five adults.
They could also prearrange a ride with one of the transfer companies,
with prices in the order of 15 or 20 pounds per person, one way, or as
low as 24 pounds for a round trip.

Details are in this web site:

http://www.londontown.com/London/Gatwick_Airport

Therefore, if the least expensive way is preferred, then the train is
substantially cheaper than a cab, and a bit less than a round trip
transfer.

Frank Matthews

Mar 15, 2003, 6:17:19 PM3/15/03
Then again, for a small amount over the cost of the train service you
can get a private car transfer booked in advance. no transfers, and
delivery to your final destination not to the station.

Frank Matthews

James Robinson

Mar 15, 2003, 6:20:12 PM3/15/03
James Robinson wrote:

> The train would be 9 or 10 pounds per passenger, depending on the
> routing chosen, for a total of 45 or 50 pounds for the five passengers.
> They would have to transfer at Victoria, Charing Cross, or London Bridge
> to get to Waterloo or Waterloo East.

Oops, I meant Clapham Junction instead of Charing Cross. Another option
is a change at East Croydon, depending on the train service.

Mike Hughes

Mar 16, 2003, 4:08:02 AM3/16/03

>A standard black cab would be something like 75 pounds, but they would
>likely need two taxis for five adults.

A standard black cab is licensed, AND PROPERLY INSURED to take 5 people.
What's more you will get a driver who knows London, having completed the
world (in)famous Knowledge of London.

AS Gatwick is outside the Metropolitan area you will have to pre-book a
London taxi first. I can arrange this for you for 70 pounds.

Office Manager

Mar 16, 2003, 7:01:44 AM3/16/03
On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:08:02 +0000, Mike Hughes
<mi...@mikehughes.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>AS Gatwick is outside the Metropolitan area you will have to pre-book a
>>London taxi first. I can arrange this for you for 70 pounds.

Where are they going to put the luggage?

Lansbury

Mar 16, 2003, 11:20:09 AM3/16/03
On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:08:02 +0000, Mike Hughes <mi...@mikehughes.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>What's more you will get a driver who knows London, having completed the

>world (in)famous Knowledge of London.

No you get a driver who knows the part of London covered by the Knowledge. I
live 5 miles from the airport inside the MPD and have never had a black cab
driver yet from Heathrow who I have not had to give precise directions to.
That is living off a major road that if you drive straight down it into the
centre runs along the side of Hyde Park.

--
Lansbury

Mike Hughes

Mar 16, 2003, 2:29:20 PM3/16/03
In article <9q897v0k6tjshgdmk...@4ax.com>, Lansbury
<lans...@spamcop.net> writes
Green Badge Drivers are expected to have a detailed knowledge of a 6
mile radius of Charing Cross. This covers from Chsiwick in the West to
Stratford in the East, From Alexandra Palace in the North to just South
of Streatham Common in the South. They are expected to know only the
major roads outside of these areas.

Heathrow is a bit of an anomaly since the taxis are green badge drivers
(on the basis that most fares go in to and out of the centre of London).
Therefore you would be correct that you have to tell the driver the
exact road you need.

There have been a number of suggestions about local ranks, etc at
Heathrow, but as yet no one has suggested a method which is not opento a
great deal of abuse.

The knowledge is already difficult enough as it is and to expect drivers
to know even more roads in the outer boroughs would mean that you would
not get many (if any) drivers who could learn that much. I realise that
this is a compromise, but it's the best that the PCO can come up with.

Lansbury

Mar 17, 2003, 3:20:01 AM3/17/03
On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:29:20 +0000, Mike Hughes <mi...@mikehughes.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>Green Badge Drivers are expected to have a detailed knowledge of a 6

>mile radius of Charing Cross.

Precisely my point I was disputing your comment that you get a driver who
knows London. You get a driver who knows the small part at the centre (if it
can be called that) of London.

--
Lansbury

mrtravel

Mar 17, 2003, 3:46:14 AM3/17/03

He's a black taxi tout, what do you expect him to say?

Malcolm Weir

Mar 17, 2003, 5:07:36 PM3/17/03
On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:08:02 +0000, Mike Hughes
<mi...@mikehughes.demon.co.uk> carved on a Usenet tablet:

>>A standard black cab would be something like 75 pounds, but they would
>>likely need two taxis for five adults.
>
>A standard black cab is licensed, AND PROPERLY INSURED to take 5 people.
>What's more you will get a driver who knows London, having completed the
>world (in)famous Knowledge of London.

Yet 5 people PLUS LUGGAGE most likely won't fit in a standard black
cab.

Malc.

Office Manager

Mar 18, 2003, 7:28:05 AM3/18/03
On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:07:36 -0800, Malcolm Weir <ma...@gelt.org>
wrote:

I dunno, a shoe horn, some KY jelly, a lot of pushing and shoving, and
the pasengers all sitting there with suitcases jammed up their noses
and carry ons wrapped around their necks, might just do it.

Coming into London Stansted?
Fixed price Taxi to Central London

Mike Hughes

Mar 18, 2003, 6:44:32 PM3/18/03
In article <EDE73D65F8C210D3.1A13398B...@lp.airnew
s.net>, Malcolm Weir <ma...@gelt.org> writes
If you look at the original posting you will see that the poster
mentioned that they had one case each. These *should* go in to the front
luggage space and the boot combined.

Office Manager

Mar 19, 2003, 8:21:54 AM3/19/03
On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:44:32 +0000, Mike Hughes
<mi...@mikehughes.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>If you look at the original posting you will see that the poster
>>mentioned that they had one case each. These *should* go in to the front
>>luggage space and the boot combined.

Can I let you into a little secret?
65% of our customers dont actually get this bit right.
and a perfect example of this is what happened to one of our drivers
at Stanstead yesterday.
They booked a standard car for 4 pax with apparently 1 case each, no
problem with that you may think...EXCEPT it was actually 1 very large
suitcase each, 1 rucksack each, 3 carrier bags of bits each and 5
holdalls.
Altogether 3 airport trolleys worth of Luggage.

As luck would have it, we had one of our 8 seaters clearing at
stansted 30 Minutes later, and we used that instead, but they paid
almost double what they had been quoted

And even better just last week, we had a booking for 3 pax, that when
they arrived there were actually 5 of them, they didnt think kids
counted as passengers, and said it woiuld be ok if the kids sat on the
parents laps......needless to say we didnt take them...

Coming into or leaving from Harwich?
Fixed price transfers available
Cheaper and better than the cruise lines
http://www.aiporttransfers.biz

nmtop40

Mar 21, 2003, 10:29:45 AM3/21/03
The topic title says Heathrow to Hounslow but the poster said Gatwick
to Waterloo.

There is probably a coach service which would be cheaper than anything
else. A licensed minicab is just as safe as a taxi, if not safer,
because the licenced company has a record of the booking and full
details of the driver plus some details of the passenger.

By the way, I can comfortably fit 5 passengers and normal sized
suitcases into my Ford Galaxy if I know in advance to remove one of
the seats. 5 passengers with small cases I can manage without removing
any seats.

For a list of licenced mini-cabs by London Borough, visit Transport
For London's website. You might have to phone a few for a quote, and
be certain to tell them you need a people carrier.

Skylink Executive Cars Ltd Zulfiqar Ali

Mar 4, 2021, 3:03:25 AM3/4/21
On Wednesday, March 5, 2003 at 12:12:17 AM UTC, Mike Hughes wrote:
> In article <lhl96v0hd68mn8iar...@4ax.com>, Office Manager
> <ca...@airporttradnsfers.biz> writes

> > 65 Quid!!! are they having a laugh????
> Is this site for LONDON licensed TAXIS (black cabs). If it is then they
> are committing an offence under the Hackney Carriage Regulations if the
> fare they are charging is more than that which would be on the meter.
> Likewise with the Eurostar to Central London service. However, Gatwick
> to London can be any price (provided it is fixed at the start of the
> journey) since Gatwick is outside to licensing area for London cabs and
> fares can be fixed at any rate agreed by the parties concerned
> If you can post the site address for me then I could possibly tell if
> it is a properly licensed LONDON taxi service.
> >We only charge 40 Quid for that service to anywhere in London
> >
> In a London licensed TAXI? (not a private hire or minicab) I seem to
> recall that your company offers a minicab service and it is therefore
> not a TAXI service.
> Mike
> (currently 19 months in to the London knowledge)
> --
> Mike Hughes, a Brighton *licensed* taxi driver.
> At home in Tarring, Worthing, West Sussex, England
> Need a taxi from Brighton Worthing Gatwick or Heathrow - please visit this site
> www.gatwick-taxi.com
https://gatwick-to-heathrow-transfer.co.uk/

Skylink Executive Cars Ltd Zulfiqar Ali

Mar 4, 2021, 3:03:58 AM3/4/21