Dänktrip: Devils Tower, Sept. 19, 2014

Dänk 42Ø

Oct 7, 2014, 6:20:33 PM10/7/14
D�nk's roadtrip to Wisconsin

Day 05: Fri 19 Sep 2014

Leave Greybull KOA. Mountain pass to Sheridan, WY. On to Gillette, whose
Walmart stole thirty minutes of my life, with not a single express lane
open and the only self-checkout machine that takes cash was broken (the
ones that take food stamp cards always work, however).

DEVILS TOWER! As a devil worshiper and also a huge fan of "Close
Encounters of the Third Kind" when I was a kid, I absolutely had to see
this. Direction signs are confusing, but the clerk at Coffee Cup Fuel
Stop off the freeway in Moorcroft (44.26384, -104.94469) will give you
correct directions. Not too far off the main highway (14? 16?), and
there is a nice trail that goes around the base of the tower. Along the
trail you see pieces of cloth tied around tree branches, some sort of
hippie Indian prayer thing, and signs advise you to not disturb. On the
way out there is a prairie dog colony, post office, and trinket shop.

There is a campground at Devils Tower, but you can try to make it to
Custer, SD, the perfect overnight base for your visit to Mount Rushmore
the next day. I stayed at Custer Crazy Horse Campground (43.77814,
-103,61214), about $27 for a tent site with electricity. Nice
campground, with clean toilets and showers.

http://yearzero.mypressonline.com

Matt

Oct 8, 2014, 4:28:02 PM10/8/14
D�nk 42� <da...@roadtrip.safeword.net> wrote in news:Adqdncaepfas-
qnJnZ2dnU...@earthlink.com:

> D�nk's roadtrip to Wisconsin
>
> Day 05: Fri 19 Sep 2014
>
> Leave Greybull KOA. Mountain pass to Sheridan, WY. On to Gillette,
whose
> Walmart stole thirty minutes of my life, with not a single express
lane
> open and the only self-checkout machine that takes cash was broken
(the
> ones that take food stamp cards always work, however).
>
> DEVILS TOWER! As a devil worshiper and also a huge fan of "Close
> Encounters of the Third Kind" when I was a kid, I absolutely had to
see
> this. Direction signs are confusing, but the clerk at Coffee Cup Fuel
> Stop off the freeway in Moorcroft (44.26384, -104.94469) will give you
> correct directions. Not too far off the main highway (14? 16?), and

If you are coming from SD, that would be 16. It is an absolutely
gorgeous drive, but not in winter.

> there is a nice trail that goes around the base of the tower. Along
the
> trail you see pieces of cloth tied around tree branches, some sort of
> hippie Indian prayer thing, and signs advise you to not disturb. On
the
> way out there is a prairie dog colony, post office, and trinket shop.
>
> There is a campground at Devils Tower, but you can try to make it to
> Custer, SD, the perfect overnight base for your visit to Mount
Rushmore
> the next day. I stayed at Custer Crazy Horse Campground (43.77814,
> -103,61214), about $27 for a tent site with electricity. Nice
> campground, with clean toilets and showers.
>
> http://yearzero.mypressonline.com

Sounds fun. Hope you enjoyed it.

Matt