You wanna know why Hasbro won't rerelease G1 Megatron?

Trixter

Mar 8, 2002, 4:53:48 PM3/8/02
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60717-2002Mar8.html

This wasn't years ago. This was this morning. And from the sound of
it Megatron's a sight more accurate than even what this man had.

-Trixter

Cyb

Mar 8, 2002, 5:25:38 PM3/8/02
On 8 Mar 2002 13:53:48 -0800, trix...@hotmail.com (Trixter) wrote:

The article doesn't actually say it was a TF gun, but Megs is a
Walther P38, and an incredibly accurate one at that. Place him next
to a real one and it's fairly tough to tell the difference if you
don't take the big Decepticon symbol into account.

Also it's illegeal to produce toy guns of this nature in the US. If
you note every toy gun in ther stores has a bright orange cap on the
end of the barrel. If you have a toy without that on it, it's very
possible you can get shot if you pull one on a cop. It's the whole
thing where a cop's primary concern is protecting the people around
him.

If G1 Megs was rereleased (very unlikely), he would have to have his
barrel capped with orange plastic. That's probably the reason the
original Prime got rereleased in the G2 line, but Megs got an all new
mold.

- Cyb
http://www.angelfire.com/apes/axalon

CaptFarrell

Mar 8, 2002, 9:35:14 PM3/8/02
"Cyb" <c...@nospam.frad.org> wrote in message

> >This wasn't years ago. This was this morning. And from the sound of
> >it Megatron's a sight more accurate than even what this man had.

if I was a cop, and someone pulled what looked even remotely like a real gun
on me, I would not feel even the slightest hesitation to put the guy down
unsure whether HOW I'd do it...but he wouldn't stand
If it turned out to be a Megtron afterwards, I'd shake the guys hand, but of
it wasn't....at least he'd be down
Better him thatn me, so to speak

--
CaptFarrell
ICQ : available on request

"That's it - screw CNN, from now on - I'm going to rely on Porn sites,
for news...." -=[Clawz]=- in alt.games.half-life

HL Mod Site : http://www.tfhl.net
AGHL Geek Code:
78 M D T+ C- A+ Ca H+ K P S+ B Po* RGB+ I++ L3++++++ Sp- ICQ@

.com/apes/axalon

Trixter

Mar 8, 2002, 10:14:20 PM3/8/02
c...@nospam.frad.org (Cyb) wrote in message news:<3c89395c...@news.rcn.com>...

> On 8 Mar 2002 13:53:48 -0800, trix...@hotmail.com (Trixter) wrote:
>
> Also it's illegeal to produce toy guns of this nature in the US. If
> you note every toy gun in ther stores has a bright orange cap on the
> end of the barrel. If you have a toy without that on it, it's very
> possible you can get shot if you pull one on a cop. It's the whole
> thing where a cop's primary concern is protecting the people around
> him.

Yeah, that was what I was hoping to illustrate, WHY it's illegal.
Because there were a lot of people griping when Takara rereleased G1
Megs that we couldn't have him because Hasbro doesn't love us. No,
it's just that Hasbro, along with our government, doesn't want us
getting accidentally shot by cops. That sounds like love to me.

-Trixter

agi...@woh.rr.com

Mar 8, 2002, 10:22:36 PM3/8/02

"CaptFarrell" <iain...@captfarrell.co.uk> wrote in message

> if I was a cop, and someone pulled what looked even remotely like a real
gun
> on me, I would not feel even the slightest hesitation to put the guy down
> unsure whether HOW I'd do it...but he wouldn't stand
> If it turned out to be a Megtron afterwards, I'd shake the guys hand, but
of
> it wasn't....at least he'd be down
> Better him thatn me, so to speak

EXACTLY. And if someone is stupid enough to go waving a gun around, whether
it looks real or IS real, I have to ask whether we should even feel much
pity for them.

Jenna

Mar 8, 2002, 10:34:02 PM3/8/02
In article <a6bsd4$df03f$1...@ID-47035.news.dfncis.de>, "CaptFarrell"
<iain...@captfarrell.co.uk> writes:

>if I was a cop, and someone pulled what looked even remotely like a real gun
>on me, I would not feel even the slightest hesitation to put the guy down
>unsure whether HOW I'd do it...but he wouldn't stand
>If it turned out to be a Megtron afterwards, I'd shake the guys hand, but of
>it wasn't....at least he'd be down
>Better him thatn me, so to speak

Oh really? Well I guess whenever somebody is pointing with their finger in
their pocket you should shoot them too, after all it MIGHT be a gun!

Yours, Jen One
Please come visit my home on the web! =)
http://members.aol.com/TFJenOne/Home.html

Jenna

Mar 8, 2002, 10:34:04 PM3/8/02
In article <3f352d62.0203...@posting.google.com>,
trix...@hotmail.com (Trixter) writes:

Ummmmm not really, since that article said the man who was killed was carrying
a gun replica, something that was meant to look exactly like a real
gun......Megatron is just a toy, and it would NOT look real if they put the
orange gun barrel on him. Also the man aimed the replica at the cop, of course
the cop is going to shoot. That is not the same as kids just playing and
pretending to shoot each other, and a cop coming along and killing them......

Aaron F. Bourque

Mar 8, 2002, 10:50:58 PM3/8/02
From: tfje...@aol.com (Jenna)

>In article <a6bsd4$df03f$1...@ID-47035.news.dfncis.de>,
>"CaptFarrell" <iain...@captfarrell.co.uk> writes:
>
>>if I was a cop, and someone pulled what looked even remotely
>>like a real gun on me, I would not feel even the slightest
>>hesitation to put the guy down unsure whether HOW I'd do
>>it...but he wouldn't stand If it turned out to be a Megtron
>>afterwards, I'd shake the guys hand, but of it wasn't....at least
>>he'd be down
>>Better him thatn me, so to speak
>
>Oh really? Well I guess whenever somebody is pointing with
>their finger in their pocket you should shoot them too, after all it
>MIGHT be a gun!

Jenna, stop it right there.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; I wish you'd stopped it before
posting but, well . . .

CRYOTEK WILL POKE HIS HEAD BACK OUT OCCASIONALLY!

--
http://delinquents.keenspace.com/d/20010703.html
http://sinner.keenspace.com/ *COMING SOON!* (really)

Aaron F. Bourque

Mar 8, 2002, 10:59:58 PM3/8/02
From: tfje...@aol.com (Jenna)

>In article <3f352d62.0203...@posting.google.com>,
>trix...@hotmail.com (Trixter) writes:
>
>>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60717-2002Mar8.html
>>
>>This wasn't years ago. This was this morning. And from the
>>sound of it Megatron's a sight more accurate than even what
>>this man had.
>>
>>-Trixter
>
>Ummmmm not really, since that article said the man who was
>killed was carrying a gun replica, something that was meant to
>look exactly like a real gun......Megatron is just a toy, and it
>would NOT look real if they put the orange gun barrel on him.

::facepalm::

Jen, G1 Meggers *IS A FREAKIN' GUN REPLICA*!!!

Toy or no toy, Meggers is meant to look like a real gun. Few, if
any, toy retailers *sell* toy guns anymore . . . because of what
happened in the link Trixter posted. These toy guns *have* the
orange "silencer," and the toy stores still will not sell them. Why?

Because there is a lot of fear out there. In this case, fear of guns.

G1 Megatron would be a poor sale in America, orange plastic
thing or no orange plastic thing.

>Also the man aimed the replica at the cop, of course
>the cop is going to shoot. That is not the same as kids just
>playing and pretending to shoot each other, and a cop coming
>along and killing them......

::facepalm::

When kids are playing shoot'em-up with toy guns, they keep
pretending whenever a new kid or an adult comes around. Even
adults like cops.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; really, Jen, you need to drop
this.

ADR

Mar 8, 2002, 11:13:44 PM3/8/02
I agree with you, but here's a thought: how about placing a warning label
on the box or toy to "always carry Megatron in robot mode and never in gun
mode when out in public"?

"Trixter" <trix...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Aaron F. Bourque

Mar 8, 2002, 11:36:16 PM3/8/02
From: "ADR" adra...@earthlink.net

>I agree with you, but here's a thought: how about placing a
>warning label on the box or toy to "always carry Megatron in
>robot mode and never in gun mode when out in public"?

It's still a gun toy.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque

Cyb

Mar 9, 2002, 12:16:42 AM3/9/02
On 09 Mar 2002 03:59:58 GMT, aaronb...@aol.comstat (Aaron F.
Bourque) wrote:

>When kids are playing shoot'em-up with toy guns, they keep
>pretending whenever a new kid or an adult comes around. Even
>adults like cops.

Slight different situation here though. A couple kids playing cops
and robbers or whatever will not make a cop pull out his gun and shoot
them. Some adult or teenager pulling a gun or gun-look alike WILL
prompt that sort of action from the cop.

Hell, even if a little kid pulled a fake gun at a cop, I can't see the
cop pulling his gun on the kid, I mean, it's a little kid. COMPLETLY
different situation.

The only time you hear about little kids getting shot is when they
play in dark allys and the cops can't see them clearly and they panic,
but even that doesn't happen too often, not that it makes it any
better, but still.

- Cyb
http://www.angelfire.com/apes/axalon

Hooper X

Mar 9, 2002, 12:46:43 AM3/9/02
Fuck. I hate this discussion.

We live in a country where high school kids regularly shoot the living shit out
of one another. There are REGULAR cases of some stupid little kid getting his
hands on daddy's pistol and accidentally capping his little brother or sister
or himself.

Now imagine the chaos if a realistic toy gun got onto the market. Let's view
this from small child logic: "That gun looks like Megatron. Megatron can't
really hurt people, so neither can this!" One imagined "Autobot" later, and
you've got a toddler in a pool of fucking blood. That's how this shit happens.
Some stupid kid gets his hands on a gun, thinks he's Robocop or whoever, and
"pretends" to plug another kid.

Except he actually fucking DOES. Unintentionally, yes, but it happens.

Adding hyper-realistic toy guns to the mix would blur the lines EVEN FURTHER,
and as such, is a Stupid Fucking Idea.

-HX

"I must kill you, because God told me to." -Tigatron(?)

"Vooral die smeerlap van een Hooper X !! QWe hate yopu !!!!!!!!" -Drunken
Dutchmen

www.sexsexworld.com <-PLEASE KILL MY LONELY.

To contact me, take off that stupid looking hat you wear.

Charles Calhoun

Mar 9, 2002, 1:03:46 AM3/9/02
tfje...@aol.com (Jenna) wrote in message news:<20020308223402...@mb-mt.aol.com>...

> In article <a6bsd4$df03f$1...@ID-47035.news.dfncis.de>, "CaptFarrell"
> <iain...@captfarrell.co.uk> writes:
>
> >if I was a cop, and someone pulled what looked even remotely like a real gun
> >on me, I would not feel even the slightest hesitation to put the guy down
> >unsure whether HOW I'd do it...but he wouldn't stand
> >If it turned out to be a Megtron afterwards, I'd shake the guys hand, but of
> >it wasn't....at least he'd be down
> >Better him thatn me, so to speak
>
> Oh really? Well I guess whenever somebody is pointing with their finger in
> their pocket you should shoot them too, after all it MIGHT be a gun!

Wow. I've had a few bad experiences with cops, but I don't understand
your unbridled hatred of them. If someone pulls a gun on a cop, the
cop has to defend himself. Period. If the gun turns out to be a
fake, then that's a tragedy, but the cop didn't have an alternative.
If the victim is a kid, or was joking, then it's an even greater
tragedy... but again, not the cop's fault.

And yes, I realize that this means you can't get a reissue Megatron
without importing one, and that you're just furious about it. You've
yelled and screamed about it before on ATT. Cope. Human life is more
important than your having a toy.

M Sipher

Mar 9, 2002, 1:16:14 AM3/9/02
Hooper X <emar...@aol.comuglyhat> wrote in message

> Fuck. I hate this discussion.
>
> We live in a country where high school kids regularly shoot the living
shit out
> of one another. There are REGULAR cases of some stupid little kid getting
his
> hands on daddy's pistol and accidentally capping his little brother or
sister
> or himself.

I lost one of my best friends as a kid that way. His brother accidentally
killed him with their parent's gun.

So, all you people whinging about G1 Megatron's NOT GONNA HAPPEN stateside
release... shut the fuck up.

M "Take That Orange Cap And Shove IT RIGHT UP YOUR SELFISH ASSES" Sipher
--
King Weasel Productions - home of the productions of King Weasel!
Transformers, RockMan, original art, the solutions to all life's problems

Cyb

Mar 9, 2002, 2:03:47 AM3/9/02
On Sat, 9 Mar 2002 01:16:14 -0500, "M Sipher" <msi...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

The whole gun control and NRA thing stinks of shit here also. NONE of
this shit would ever have happened if the NRA didn't go an bitch about
it being their constutional right to own a gun. As has been said
before, the right to bear arms was in for the purpose of a well
organized militia, it actually fucking says that. Not so crazy uncle
bob can own an uzi.

We're the only country that allows civilians to own guns, and guess
what, we have an ass high crime and murder rate to show for it, not to
mention all the fun accidental shootings. Right to bear arms my
fucking ass. Bunch of fucking retards.

Pardon my french.

- Cyb
http://www.angelfire.com/apes/axalon

David Willis

Mar 9, 2002, 2:14:36 AM3/9/02
> I lost one of my best friends as a kid that way. His brother accidentally
> killed him with their parent's gun.
>
> So, all you people whinging about G1 Megatron's NOT GONNA HAPPEN stateside
> release... shut the fuck up.
>

> M "Take That Orange Cap And Shove IT RIGHT UP YOUR SELFISH ASSES" Sipher

I mean, really. Demanding the release of a *toy* despite the possible
serious consequences. That's beyond shameful.

It's just a toy. If you REALLY fucking want it, buy it off ebay. I'd
rather
have you be 200 dollars in the hole than have a big hole in a kid lying
bleeding on the street. But that's just me.

Don't want to speak for anybody but myself.

--David
www.itswalky.com

Pyre

Mar 9, 2002, 2:16:49 AM3/9/02
Aaron F. Bourque wrote:

> Toy or no toy, Meggers is meant to look like a real gun. Few, if
> any, toy retailers *sell* toy guns anymore

I think the only place I've even seen realistic toys guns anymore is Wal-Mart.

> G1 Megatron would be a poor sale in America, orange plastic
> thing or no orange plastic thing.

Frankly, Hasbro would be incredibly stupid to even consider selling gun
Megs here. It's never going to happen. Accept it and get over it folks.

--
Pyre[Rock] - pyres...@crosswinds.net
http://pyresdomain.crosswinds.net/

Stranger

Mar 9, 2002, 3:01:42 AM3/9/02
Aaron F. Bourque <aaronb...@aol.comstat> wrote in message

> >Also the man aimed the replica at the cop, of course
> >the cop is going to shoot. That is not the same as kids just
> >playing and pretending to shoot each other, and a cop coming
> >along and killing them......
>
> ::facepalm::
>
> When kids are playing shoot'em-up with toy guns, they keep
> pretending whenever a new kid or an adult comes around. Even
> adults like cops.

Actually, Aaron, the I thought he victim in the article was a MAN not a
child, so your point doesn't really apply to this situation.

*Hyadoken facepalm*

--
Stranger- Impulse's #1 fan, next to Max of course.

spiflication

Mar 9, 2002, 3:11:02 AM3/9/02
>Human life is more important than your having a toy.

it....is? i....uh....

i uh...i...i...i mean WHY IT MOST CERTAINTLY IS!

spiflication

Mar 9, 2002, 3:15:45 AM3/9/02
You know....any kids that does that is a
complete-moronic-mongloid-helmet-dumb-shit with no grasp of reality. I
never had any problems like that when i was a kid, and even tho i never
handled a *real* gun at that period of my life i STILL knew the difference
and that a toy was just a fucking toy.

Hmmm...probably why I hated most kids back then, cause i was so much damn
smarter then them heh.

Orin Drake

Mar 9, 2002, 10:37:36 AM3/9/02
"spiflication" <bustam...@attbi.com> wrote in message news:<Rwji8.5584$702.9534@sccrnsc02>...

> You know....any kids that does that is a
> complete-moronic-mongloid-helmet-dumb-shit with no grasp of reality. I
> never had any problems like that when i was a kid, and even tho i never
> handled a *real* gun at that period of my life i STILL knew the difference
> and that a toy was just a fucking toy.

I'd actually have to completely agree with that. But then, I'm the
first to admit I was not a "normal" child. I liked documentaries and
nature programs.

Steve-o Stonebraker

Mar 9, 2002, 11:47:23 AM3/9/02
On Sat, 09 Mar 2002 07:14:36 GMT, David Willis wrote:
> I mean, really. Demanding the release of a *toy* despite the possible
> serious consequences. That's beyond shameful.

Maybe you guys are making a pre-emptive strike, or maybe I missed a post,
but, I didn't actually see anybody say "they need to release G1 Megs in
the US and such incidents shouldn't stop them" in this thread...

--Steve-o
Steve Stonebraker | Transformers FAQ Keeper | Astrophysicist
sst...@yahoo.com | www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~sstoneb | AOL IM: srstoneb

MousePad (formerly The Waspinator)

Mar 9, 2002, 12:06:32 PM3/9/02

> The whole gun control and NRA thing stinks of shit here also. NONE of
> this shit would ever have happened if the NRA didn't go an bitch about
> it being their constutional right to own a gun. As has been said
> before, the right to bear arms was in for the purpose of a well
> organized militia, it actually fucking says that. Not so crazy uncle
> bob can own an uzi.

Heading into the realm of off-topicness, the actual text of the second
amendment is thus:

"A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free
State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be
infringed."

It does specifically say that we have the right to bear arms, without any
qualification. But it does imply that this is so we can form a
well-regulated militia, though the constitution doesn't, itself, establish
such a militia. Rather vague, really.

At any rate, I'm not fond of toy guns. I do think it can give kids the
wrong idea about how dangerous the real things are. If kids are going to
have access to guns, they need to be taught respect for them when they're of
the appropriate age.

Also I don't think an orange tip is going to be very distinguishable in the
dark or at a distance.

ADY

ADR

Mar 9, 2002, 12:19:06 PM3/9/02
You've enlightened me with your post here on exactly why G1 Megatron should
not be released in the U.S., Hooper X. Children do associate objects that
look similar together.

I'm not one of those whiners who wants G1 Megs released here by Hasbro just
so he would be cheaper to buy than the Takara reissue, though. So it is
good that the reissue is so expensive so that most kids can't buy it.

ADR

Mar 9, 2002, 12:29:27 PM3/9/02

> From: "ADR" adra...@earthlink.net
>
> >I agree with you, but here's a thought: how about placing a
> >warning label on the box or toy to "always carry Megatron in
> >robot mode and never in gun mode when out in public"?
>
> It's still a gun toy.

Yeah, I see what you mean. And even if the box also read "for adult
collectors only", the price would only get jacked up to the price of the
Takara reissue anyways, thus defeating the *real* reason why some people
want G1 Megs released in the U.S.

I would honestly be freaked by a bunch of kids running around outside
holding their G1 Megatrons in gun mode.

For $100, I'd rather buy Fortress Maximus than G1 Megatron. Hint,
hint...Hasbro...hint, hint. ;)

CaptFarrell

Mar 9, 2002, 12:37:46 PM3/9/02
"Jenna" <tfje...@aol.com> wrote in message

> In article <a6bsd4$df03f$1...@ID-47035.news.dfncis.de>, "CaptFarrell"
> <iain...@captfarrell.co.uk> writes:
>
> >if I was a cop, and someone pulled what looked even remotely like a real
gun
> >on me, I would not feel even the slightest hesitation to put the guy down
> >unsure whether HOW I'd do it...but he wouldn't stand
> >If it turned out to be a Megtron afterwards, I'd shake the guys hand, but
of
> >it wasn't....at least he'd be down
> >Better him thatn me, so to speak
>
> Oh really? Well I guess whenever somebody is pointing with their finger in
> their pocket you should shoot them too, after all it MIGHT be a gun!

do you see any mention of shooting? I said put them down...more ways than
guns

but it some 'tard did the finger thing, and refuses to 'put it away' then
they deserve what they get. and mayber they'll get a darwin award in the
process...
It's a paranoid world we live in

--
CaptFarrell
ICQ : available on request

"That's it - screw CNN, from now on - I'm going to rely on Porn sites,
for news...." -=[Clawz]=- in alt.games.half-life

HL Mod Site : http://www.tfhl.net
AGHL Geek Code:
78 M D T+ C- A+ Ca H+ K P S+ B Po* RGB+ I++ L3++++++ Sp- ICQ@

---

Ninja99

Mar 9, 2002, 1:47:28 PM3/9/02

> From: tfje...@aol.com (Jenna)

> >Oh really? Well I guess whenever somebody is pointing with
> >their finger in their pocket you should shoot them too, after all it
> >MIGHT be a gun!
>
> Jenna, stop it right there.
>
> Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; I wish you'd stopped it before
> posting but, well . . .

Why? She makes a good point.

-Ninja
--
Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action.
-Goethe

Ninja99

Mar 9, 2002, 1:48:32 PM3/9/02

> >Human life is more important than your having a toy.
>

> it....is? i....uh....
>
> i uh...i...i...i mean WHY IT MOST CERTAINTLY IS!

o_O

Ninja99

Mar 9, 2002, 2:13:28 PM3/9/02

"Charles Calhoun" <Gri...@portalofevil.com> wrote in message

> tfje...@aol.com (Jenna) wrote in message
> > Oh really? Well I guess whenever somebody is pointing with their finger in
> > their pocket you should shoot them too, after all it MIGHT be a gun!
>
> Wow. I've had a few bad experiences with cops, but I don't understand
> your unbridled hatred of them

"Unbridled hatred?" Oh, please. At what point in her post did Jenna indicate that
she harbored "unbridled hatred" towards police officers? Hmm? Either you have a
vivid imagination, or you need to seriously brush up on your definitions of certain
words.

>If someone pulls a gun on a cop, the
> cop has to defend himself. Period. If the gun turns out to be a
> fake, then that's a tragedy, but the cop didn't have an alternative.
> If the victim is a kid, or was joking, then it's an even greater
> tragedy... but again, not the cop's fault.

True, but in a very small percentage of these tragic cases the officer(s) in question
seem a little too trigger happy.

> And yes, I realize that this means you can't get a reissue Megatron
> without importing one, and that you're just furious about it.

"Just furious?"

>You've yelled and screamed about it before on ATT.

Really now.

>Cope. Human life is more
> important than your having a toy.

Are you saying that it was wrong for me to kill that guy for his Brave Maximus?
Blasphemer! >:(

Ninja99

Mar 9, 2002, 2:19:01 PM3/9/02

> "Jenna" <tfje...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Oh really? Well I guess whenever somebody is pointing with their finger in
> > their pocket you should shoot them too, after all it MIGHT be a gun!
> >
> do you see any mention of shooting? I said put them down...more ways than
> guns

Yes, but one usually assumes...

> but it some 'tard did the finger thing, and refuses to 'put it away' then
> they deserve what they get. and mayber they'll get a darwin award in the
> process...
> It's a paranoid world we live in

I didn't know that you get a Darwin Award if you're shot dead by a police officer. :P

Draconis

Mar 9, 2002, 2:25:00 PM3/9/02
That wasn't a reply to the main post, it was just a reply to Jenna's comment
about kids playing and a cop coming anf killing them

--

"Stranger" <Phantom-...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote in message

William Cintrón-Lopez

Mar 9, 2002, 3:28:03 PM3/9/02
Slightly off tangent here...

But for those who want an orange cap on Megatron...someone could
easily paint the entire gun black to make it pass off as real.
Anyway....The chance of a G1 Megs re-release is nill...and the
argument, pointless.

superspy

Mar 9, 2002, 3:48:40 PM3/9/02
tfje...@aol.com (Jenna) took a deep breath, fired a few neurons, and
then said news:20020308223404...@mb-mt.aol.com:

> Ummmmm not really, since that article said the man who was killed was
> carrying a gun replica, something that was meant to look exactly like
> a real gun......Megatron is just a toy, and it would NOT look real if

> they put the orange gun barrel on him. Also the man aimed the replica

> at the cop, of course the cop is going to shoot. That is not the same
> as kids just playing and pretending to shoot each other, and a cop
> coming along and killing them......

I feel a pre-written quote I read somewhere is more appropriate than
anything I can come up with:

"I'm not intending to imply insult or judgment here but I am curious to
know in order to be able to respond to your posts in an appropriate
manner, so please forgive what appears to be, but in fact is not intended
as, an insulting question: Are you stupid?"
-- Melinda Shore

'spy

CaptFarrell

Mar 9, 2002, 5:01:17 PM3/9/02
"Ninja99" <Nin...@tekken.cc> wrote in message

> > but it some 'tard did the finger thing, and refuses to 'put it away'
then
> > they deserve what they get. and mayber they'll get a darwin award in the
> > process...
> > It's a paranoid world we live in
>
> I didn't know that you get a Darwin Award if you're shot dead by a police
officer. :P

AFAIK, Darwin Awards are for those who do something so stupid it results in
their death (and having had no children).
If their action was to basically force someone to kill them, it is still
legit (in my understanding of the awards)

Cyb

Mar 9, 2002, 9:18:54 PM3/9/02
On Sat, 9 Mar 2002 11:06:32 -0600, "MousePad \(formerly The
Waspinator\)" <ady...@cox-internet.com> wrote:

>"A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free
>State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be
>infringed."
>
>It does specifically say that we have the right to bear arms, without any
>qualification. But it does imply that this is so we can form a
>well-regulated militia, though the constitution doesn't, itself, establish
>such a militia. Rather vague, really.

You need to remember the context it was written in. When the
constitution was written there was no US army, navy, air force and so
on. We were a country without anything established. Hell, up until
the constitution each state had its own form of currency. The very
bottom line is that amendment was put in there because there was
always a very real chance of us getting attacked again by England or
whoever (though by that point we were probably more trouble than it
was worth, hehe) and if need be everyone had to be ready to defend
themselvs and the country as a whole.

Now it's less than necessary and leads to accidental shootings and
crap because the nice morons with guns don't lock the damn things up
like they should half the time. And I'm not against owning guns
entirely, it is a constitutional right, but for the love of god, don't
leave the thing loaded in your sock drawer. Just another reason the
phrase 'guns don't kill people, people kill people' is the biggest
bunch of bullshit in the world.

But I digress, heh, offtopicness rules!

>At any rate, I'm not fond of toy guns. I do think it can give kids the
>wrong idea about how dangerous the real things are. If kids are going to
>have access to guns, they need to be taught respect for them when they're of
>the appropriate age.

Werd.

>Also I don't think an orange tip is going to be very distinguishable in the
>dark or at a distance.

At a distance you'd be surprised, it's fairly distinguishable. In the
dark or bad light, not so much.

- Cyb
http://www.angelfire.com/apes/axalon

M Sipher

Mar 10, 2002, 12:36:34 AM3/10/02

> "Aaron F. Bourque" <aaronb...@aol.comstat> wrote in message
> > From: tfje...@aol.com (Jenna)
> > >Oh really? Well I guess whenever somebody is pointing with
> > >their finger in their pocket you should shoot them too, after all it
> > >MIGHT be a gun!
> >
> > Jenna, stop it right there.
> >
> > Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; I wish you'd stopped it before
> > posting but, well . . .
>
> Why? She makes a good point.

No. No, she doesn't.

M "Sorry" Sipher

Xyster the Battle Alicorn

Mar 10, 2002, 1:39:30 AM3/10/02

>We're the only country that allows civilians to own guns, and guess
>what, we have an ass high crime and murder rate to show for it, not to
>mention all the fun accidental shootings. Right to bear arms my
>fucking ass. Bunch of fucking retards.

That's all well and fine for you, Slappy, but some of us are partial to the
guns we keep. Should someone get past my dogs, and get into my house, then
he's obviously a determined individual who would probably do me great harm.
You don't want to have a gun, fine. Me, i'll take my chances.

And before it gets asked, no, I don't support the NRA. There is nothing
wrong with having a gun, but I don't think anyone should have access to
machine guns just because they're "enthusiasts."

As for the subject, anyone who waves any type of weapon at a cop deserves to
get shot. There are things you just don't do, and that is one of them.
Their job is horribly stressful, and they always have the chance of getting
killed hanging over their heads. I don't care for law enforcement in
general, but I certainly understand their point of view.

Actually, I can't understand why anyone would want that shit job for anyway.
To risk injury and possibly death for an average of $25,000 a year?

Xyster
"Not I" said the dog.

Ka Faraq Gatri

Mar 10, 2002, 9:20:33 AM3/10/02
On 09 Mar 2002 03:34:04 GMT, tfje...@aol.com (Jenna) wrote:

>>This wasn't years ago. This was this morning. And from the sound of
>>it Megatron's a sight more accurate than even what this man had.
>>
>>-Trixter

>Ummmmm not really, since that article said the man who was killed was carrying
>a gun replica, something that was meant to look exactly like a real
>gun......Megatron is just a toy, and it would NOT look real if they put the
>orange gun barrel on him.

Do you own a G1 Megatron? I have mine right in front of me, and I
can say IMO it is a very good approximation of a real gun. Add in a
little distance so the `Con symbol and the extra seams aren't obvious,
and I think it could easily be mistaken for the real thing. And an
orange barrel might not be enough to ruin the illusion.

> Also the man aimed the replica at the cop, of course
>the cop is going to shoot. That is not the same as kids just playing and
>pretending to shoot each other, and a cop coming along and killing them......

But what if the kid points the replica at the cop? There's a lot o
grey area in any answer to that one. Is it the cop's fault for not
taking the time to determine if the gun is real (and thereby risk
getting shot himself)? Is it the parents' fault for not telling their
child, "Don't point Megatron (or whatever gun you choose to use in
this scenario) at a policeman."? Is it Hasbro's fault for producing a
realistic toy gun to be waved around? The simplest thing is to prevent
the scenario from happening by not making realistic toy guns.

Besides, G2 tank Megatron was a better toy. Big,
intimidating-looking, sturdy tank Megs with sound effects. If Hasbro
wanted to reissue a version the character, _that's_ the way to go.

Neale Davidson

Mar 10, 2002, 9:19:17 AM3/10/02
*laughs*

I take it that you've NEVER done any constutional research then?
The United States most /certainly/ did have an Army when the
Constitution was written, as well as a navy.

The second admendment was put in to ensure that the federal
government was /not/ the only body in the United States that
possessed firearms - period. Giving all the firepower to the government
was a /bad thing/, and still is. It's a protection for the citizens against
their government - hence it's part of the Bill of Rights.

> Now it's less than necessary and leads to accidental shootings and
> crap because the nice morons with guns don't lock the damn things up
> like they should half the time. And I'm not against owning guns
> entirely, it is a constitutional right, but for the love of god, don't
> leave the thing loaded in your sock drawer. Just another reason the
> phrase 'guns don't kill people, people kill people' is the biggest
> bunch of bullshit in the world.

It's still true, though. A gun, sitting by itself, is harmless. IT does take
a person to pick it up and shoot someone. The truth is, there are
very very few accidental shootings (something like three orders of
magnitude less than car accidents), and most gun owners are, in fact,
trained as responisble adults.

Neale Davidson
http://www.protoformproject.com
Computer Games, RPGs, and odds and ends.

Neale Davidson

Mar 10, 2002, 9:27:02 AM3/10/02

>Oh really? Well I guess whenever somebody is pointing with
>their finger in their pocket you should shoot them too, after all it
>MIGHT be a gun!

Okay, Jenna, my dad's been in this situation many many times.

It's night, you're in a high-crime area. You get a report of suspicious
behaviour and go to investigate. The area has a reputation for gang
violence, and supicious behaviour often means armed robbery - or
other serious and often violent crimes.

You find a suspect, and are about 100 feet from him. It's dark, and
he seems to be holding something that looks like a gun. Honestly,
at 100 feet in poor light, could you tell if it was a toy, a prop, or
the real thing? Orange tips don't help, as most gangs now paint
the tips of their guns now anyway.

The suspect turns to face the officer, levelling this possible-weapon
at him. Two choices, risk death, shoot first. Some choice. There's
no way to tell what this suspect is thinking or going to do. The
officer, in this situation, is /trained/ to shoot.

Now, to bring this around to Megatron. Yeah, Megatron's an
obvious toy if you're looking at him in good light within a few
feet. But, through scanner systems, or at long range, or in poor
light, he can make a very convincing P38.

I've lost a few friends in my life to 'kids' with guns, and I've heard
the 'don't shoot, it could be a toy' argument several times. That
comes as no solace to the families of those officers who hesistated
with that thought and paid for it with their lives.

Charles Calhoun

Mar 10, 2002, 9:31:20 AM3/10/02
"Ninja99" <Nin...@tekken.cc> wrote in message news:<s9ti8.1897$P4.1...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

> "Charles Calhoun" <Gri...@portalofevil.com> wrote in message
> > tfje...@aol.com (Jenna) wrote in message
> > > Oh really? Well I guess whenever somebody is pointing with their finger in
> > > their pocket you should shoot them too, after all it MIGHT be a gun!
> >
> > Wow. I've had a few bad experiences with cops, but I don't understand
> > your unbridled hatred of them
>
> "Unbridled hatred?" Oh, please. At what point in her post did Jenna indicate that
> she harbored "unbridled hatred" towards police officers? Hmm? Either you have a
> vivid imagination, or you need to seriously brush up on your definitions of certain
> words.

This isn't exactly her first post on the matter. I suppose that this
one post, taken by itself, was relatively tame.

> >Cope. Human life is more
> > important than your having a toy.
>
> Are you saying that it was wrong for me to kill that guy for his Brave Maximus?
> Blasphemer! >:(

Yeah. However, I'll make an exception for Clench.

Neale Davidson

Mar 10, 2002, 9:32:52 AM3/10/02
> >We're the only country that allows civilians to own guns, and guess
> >what, we have an ass high crime and murder rate to show for it, not to
> >mention all the fun accidental shootings. Right to bear arms my
> >fucking ass. Bunch of fucking retards.

Our crime rate is one of the lowest in the world, actually. It's only
high in comparison to the G-10 nations, and that's actually changing.
Thanks to the proliferation of guns from Eastern Europe, the violent
crime rate in Germany and the UK has been climbing at a dramatic
rate. Criminals don't pay attention to gun bans... that's a lesson that
Europe is learning onw.

Which brings another point. Our violent crime rate, outside of a few
select urban areas, is very very low. When you throw in the very large
cities, those with very strict gun-banning laws, it's only then that our
crime rate gets worrying. Despite this, the crime rate in Baltimore
and Detriot is not, by any stretch, a good measure of the crime rate
in the United States.

Also, again, the actual number of accidental shoots is well-documented,
and it's very very low. You're more likely to drown in the bathtub than
be the victim of your own firearm from an accidental shooting. That
doesn't forgive, however, anyone who uses guns in an irresponsible way.

I Have A Bloodlust

Mar 10, 2002, 2:10:01 PM3/10/02
see this is why we need to have segregation again so that we are
protected from gangbangers...... like jhooksx! he is a gangbanger and
i bet he steals his tfs , thank gods at keast kevin2112 & dave barry
see the light

i also urge every1 going to botcon to search jhooksx for weapons if he
shoes his blk face ,he has never been out of the ghetto and can be a
potential safety hazard to every1 at botcon

Desperado00

Mar 10, 2002, 2:43:47 PM3/10/02
>see this is why we need to have segregation again so that we are
>protected from gangbangers...... like jhooksx! he is a gangbanger and
>i bet he steals his tfs , thank gods at keast kevin2112 & dave barry
>see the light

>i also urge every1 going to botcon to search jhooksx for weapons if he
>shoes his blk face ,he has never been out of the ghetto and can be a
>potential safety hazard to every1 at botcon

Wow, my killfile runeth over.
-----

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

An egotist is a self-made man who worships his creator.

If we aren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

No horse is too dead to beat.

Zaku II

Mar 10, 2002, 2:56:23 PM3/10/02
I Have A Bloodlust writes:

>see this is why we need to have segregation again so that we are
>protected from gangbangers...... like jhooksx! he is a gangbanger and
>i bet he steals his tfs , thank gods at keast kevin2112 & dave barry
>see the light

Racist buttplug. I may not like Hooks X personally, but I don't like him for
very real reasons, not because he's black. And I see no other reason for this
post of yours other than pointless racism.

>i also urge every1 going to botcon to search jhooksx for weapons if he
>shoes his blk face ,he has never been out of the ghetto and can be a
>potential safety hazard to every1 at botcon

I'm sure Hooks X has a decent job and is an upstanding member of society. You,
on the other hand, can play "hide and go fuck yourself" when you go to Botcon.

-Sean Kneeland
http://members.aol.com/zaku2ms06/main.html

Steve-o Stonebraker

Mar 10, 2002, 5:21:07 PM3/10/02
Guys... don't feed the trolls. Especially the really obvious ones.

Tigerpaw28

Mar 10, 2002, 6:24:49 PM3/10/02
Pyre <pyres...@crosswinds.net> wrote in message news:<3C89B6E0...@crosswinds.net>...
> Aaron F. Bourque wrote:
>

> > Toy or no toy, Meggers is meant to look like a real gun. Few, if
> > any, toy retailers *sell* toy guns anymore
>

> I think the only place I've even seen realistic toys guns anymore is Wal-Mart.
>

> > G1 Megatron would be a poor sale in America, orange plastic
> > thing or no orange plastic thing.
> >

> Frankly, Hasbro would be incredibly stupid to even consider selling gun
> Megs here. It's never going to happen. Accept it and get over it folks.

Actually it could. Not exactly in the way you're thinking but it
could. Now I'm not sure if HasbroCollectors.com is still up or not but
Hasbro could release the toy via the web at possibly a lower price
than importing Takara's rerelease would cost. And before anyone goes
shouting: "But it's still a realistic toy gun in the US!", let me say
that Hasbro releasing it exclusively via web would be no different
than being able to get the Takara rerelease over the web as far as who
could get. That "who" would be collectors and adults that could order
it, not kids or other people who'd have to do a little(albeit not
much) searching to find the webpage. It'd be no harder to find than
the webpages of dealers selling the Takara reissue. Oh and Cyb I
agree. Too many people don't lock their guns up right. And why hell
does a civilian need a damn machine gun? Collectability? What's
collectible about them? More so than handguns, rifles and shotguns, if
you've seen one you've seen them all.

-Tigerpaw28

superspy

Mar 10, 2002, 8:43:46 PM3/10/02
Tiger...@hotmail.com (Tigerpaw28) took a deep breath, fired a few
neurons, and then said

>> Frankly, Hasbro would be incredibly stupid to even consider selling
>> gun Megs here. It's never going to happen. Accept it and get over
>> it folks.
>
> Actually it could. Not exactly in the way you're thinking but it
> could. Now I'm not sure if HasbroCollectors.com is still up or not but
> Hasbro could release the toy via the web at possibly a lower price
> than importing Takara's rerelease would cost. And before anyone goes
> shouting: "But it's still a realistic toy gun in the US!", let me say
> that Hasbro releasing it exclusively via web would be no different
> than being able to get the Takara rerelease over the web as far as who
> could get. That "who" would be collectors and adults that could order

Actually it would be very different. It's called "A Japanese Company
Manufacturing It For The Japanese Market".

'spy, it's also called My Head Hurting From Trying To Understand Your
Logic"

Xyster the Battle Alicorn

Mar 10, 2002, 9:03:41 PM3/10/02
Superspy wrote :

>Actually it would be very different. It's called "A Japanese Company
>Manufacturing It For The Japanese Market".
>
>'spy, it's also called My Head Hurting From Trying To Understand Your
>Logic"

See, now you're being needlessly hateful. Tigerpaw is merely stating that
Hasbro could feasibly sell it through the web and skirt around the realistic
gun issue. The stupid toy would cost a crap load, just to make a profit
from low production, but it's an option. Collectors could get it, and most
children wouldn't.

The only real problem with this is the fact that while it's a real option,
it's a not a good one. Hasbro didn't have a successful run with the
original Hasbrocollectors.com, so I think they're all but done with trying
to pander to the collector market.

Xyster
I don't see why people want him so badly anyway. Shockwave is a much nicer
toy.

Jenna

Mar 10, 2002, 10:09:07 PM3/10/02
In article <s0qm8u06as046ifcj...@4ax.com>, Ka Faraq Gatri
<kfg...@rcn.com> writes:

> Do you own a G1 Megatron? I have mine right in front of me, and I
>can say IMO it is a very good approximation of a real gun. Add in a
>little distance so the `Con symbol and the extra seams aren't obvious,
>and I think it could easily be mistaken for the real thing. And an
>orange barrel might not be enough to ruin the illusion.

To answer your questions Ka Faraq, no I do not own the Megatron toy, but I have
seen it in person before. I do not think that anyone who could actually see it
up close and in good light would mistake it for a real gun (it is child sized,
I have small hands and I still can not hold it comfortably.) But I do agree
that nobody would be able to tell that it was not a real gun if they were
standing in a dark alley or if they were really far away.

> But what if the kid points the replica at the cop? There's a lot o
>grey area in any answer to that one. Is it the cop's fault for not
>taking the time to determine if the gun is real (and thereby risk
>getting shot himself)? Is it the parents' fault for not telling their
>child, "Don't point Megatron (or whatever gun you choose to use in
>this scenario) at a policeman."? Is it Hasbro's fault for producing a
>realistic toy gun to be waved around? The simplest thing is to prevent
>the scenario from happening by not making realistic toy guns.

Nobody should EVER point something at a cop that looks like a gun, of course
the cop is going to shoot. There ARE other toy companies making real looking
toy guns, so Hasbro not making them will not really stop the problem. Also it
is not really fair that Hasbro should have to do this just because some people
are irresponsible. That is like saying there should never be ANY violence on
T.V. just in case some kids go out to act it out and get in trouble because of
it.

> Besides, G2 tank Megatron was a better toy. Big,
>intimidating-looking, sturdy tank Megs with sound effects. If Hasbro
>wanted to reissue a version the character, _that's_ the way to go.

What I would really like to see is a "cybertronic" gun mode, a little like
Shockwave, but that still looked like Megatron. They can still make space guns,
and Hasbro IS making Star Wars guns......

Yours, Jen One
Please come visit my home on the web! =)
http://members.aol.com/TFJenOne/Home.html

Jenna

Mar 10, 2002, 10:09:06 PM3/10/02
In article <W2Ki8.5813$RB.11...@news1.news.adelphia.net>, "Neale Davidson"
<ne...@protoformproject.com> writes:

>Okay, Jenna, my dad's been in this situation many many times.
>
>It's night, you're in a high-crime area. You get a report of suspicious
>behaviour and go to investigate. The area has a reputation for gang
>violence, and supicious behaviour often means armed robbery - or
>other serious and often violent crimes.
>
>You find a suspect, and are about 100 feet from him. It's dark, and
>he seems to be holding something that looks like a gun. Honestly,
>at 100 feet in poor light, could you tell if it was a toy, a prop, or
>the real thing? Orange tips don't help, as most gangs now paint
>the tips of their guns now anyway.

I did not know that.....if they keep that up, toy companies will have to find
another way to let people know that it is just a toy....also some one could buy
a toy and paint over the orange tip, so that would not be the best deterrant by
it's self.

>The suspect turns to face the officer, levelling this possible-weapon
>at him. Two choices, risk death, shoot first. Some choice. There's
>no way to tell what this suspect is thinking or going to do. The
>officer, in this situation, is /trained/ to shoot.

I would not argue with this at all, if someone points something at a cop that
COULD be a weapon, then he should shoot. But he should not shoot to kill, he
should shoot him in the leg to incapacatate (sp?) him.

>Now, to bring this around to Megatron. Yeah, Megatron's an
>obvious toy if you're looking at him in good light within a few
>feet. But, through scanner systems, or at long range, or in poor
>light, he can make a very convincing P38.

What kind of scanner systems? You mean like at the airport? Megatron is mostly
made of plastic, only the screws and parts of his legs are metal, you could see
in an X-ray scan that he is not a working gun.

By the way, I am NOT whining to get the toy released as all of you have
assumed. I actually do not want to own the toy, it does not even look like a
good robot to me. But I do not agree that Hasbro could never release the toy, I
just think they do not want to. The fact is that there ARE realistic toy guns
sold in stores today, and the ONLY difference is the orange cap. Alot of people
are saying that the cap would not be enough to distinguish him from the real
thing, but guess what, that is exactly what toy companies are using.

I was going to say something else, but I forgot what it was..... =)

David Willis

Mar 10, 2002, 10:11:30 PM3/10/02
> See, now you're being needlessly hateful. Tigerpaw is merely stating that
> Hasbro could feasibly sell it through the web and skirt around the
realistic
> gun issue. The stupid toy would cost a crap load, just to make a profit
> from low production, but it's an option. Collectors could get it, and
most
> children wouldn't.

Hasbro could. If they wanted to shoot themselves in the head. And if
they were stupid. And if they didn't want to think things over first.
And if pigs could fly.

--David
www.itswalky.com

MousePad (formerly The Waspinator)

Mar 10, 2002, 11:02:20 PM3/10/02

> I would not argue with this at all, if someone points something at a cop
that
> COULD be a weapon, then he should shoot. But he should not shoot to kill,
he
> should shoot him in the leg to incapacatate (sp?) him.

Sorry, nope. Too small a target. IF he misses, he's probably dead. And if
he doesn't miss... well, a wounded animal tends to fight even harder.

ADY

Zaku II

Mar 11, 2002, 1:17:04 AM3/11/02
Steve-o Stonebraker writes:

>Guys... don't feed the trolls. Especially the really obvious ones.

And I apologize profusely to the other regulars and others. But I can't stand
racism. However, I should have just killfiled (it) and been done with it.

-Sean Kneeland
http://members.aol.com/zaku2ms06/main.html

Zobovor and His Many Dragons

Mar 11, 2002, 1:32:34 AM3/11/02
MousePad wrote:

>> COULD be a weapon, then he should shoot. But he should not shoot
>> to kill, he should shoot him in the leg to incapacatate (sp?) him.
>
>Sorry, nope. Too small a target. IF he misses, he's probably dead.

Out of curiosity, what would it take to put this whole thread out of its
misery?

Suspsy

Mar 11, 2002, 1:35:38 AM3/11/02

"Jenna" <tfje...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I would not argue with this at all, if someone points something at a cop

that
> COULD be a weapon, then he should shoot. But he should not shoot to kill,
he
> should shoot him in the leg to incapacatate (sp?) him.

Uh, no. Absolutely, positively, definitely, NO. If a suspect points
something resembling a weapon at a cop, the cop is justified in shooting to
kill. A suspect shot in the leg can still easily fire a gun.

> What kind of scanner systems? You mean like at the airport? Megatron is
mostly
> made of plastic, only the screws and parts of his legs are metal, you
could see
> in an X-ray scan that he is not a working gun.

Apparently you are unaware that it is just as illegal to try and smuggle a
fake firearm onto a plane as it is to smuggle a real one, especially in the
wake of 9/11. Try it and see.

>But I do not agree that Hasbro could never release the toy, I
> just think they do not want to.

I sure as hell hope so. I hope they plan never to sell that thing over here.

Suspsy, aside from all the points already discussed, there's the fact that
G1 Meggy is a fragile, uglyass toy.

"Peace through tyranny!" -Megatron

Aaron F. Bourque

Mar 11, 2002, 1:45:05 AM3/11/02
From: zob...@aol.com (Zobovor and His Many Dragons)

Point it at a cop?

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; there seems to be sort of a
life cycle for these sorts of . . . I hesitate to use the term
"argument" . . . Anyway: after a week, if the thread's topic hasn't
completely transmorphed, it's likely the best thing to do is killfile
the subject. Heck, killfile the subject, and then check back after a
week. Until then, we'll have to live with it.

CRYOTEK WILL EAT YOUR TRANSMORPH!

--
http://delinquents.keenspace.com/d/20010703.html
http://sinner.keenspace.com/ *COMING SOON!* (really)
Damn the tree and all its kind!
Nothing's impossible in the hot soul.

tiama...@hotmail.com

Mar 11, 2002, 1:56:07 AM3/11/02

Interesting topic. It's one of the reasons I'm glad I'm Canadian.
It's not perfect here in the Great White North but not as bad. Saw a
good special on A&E once on this very topic. This would have been in
the early 1990's. In this special they compared two cities with
similar demographics: Vancouver BC in Canada and I think Seattle WA
USA. Probably mistaken on the American city name. They compared the
number of deaths by fire arms in both cities for one year. The
figure for Vancouver Canada was under 50. The figure for the American
city was very high, approx 1000.

Scary isn't it?

Tiamat

"You expect to be unavailable?" - Morralon

Hydra

Mar 11, 2002, 12:44:21 PM3/11/02

> Apparently you are unaware that it is just as illegal to try and smuggle a
> fake firearm onto a plane as it is to smuggle a real one, especially in the
> wake of 9/11. Try it and see.

What's funny is that after BotCon, I ended up bringing an entire case
of Japanese Megatrons home with me on the plane. This was of course
before the 9/11 incident, but I still got a bit worried, especially
when our flight was delayed for _hours._ I was thinking that I should
have shipped them instead, but it turned out that it had nothing to do
with me. It probably wasn't an issue because they were all still in
their boxes. It was a bit nerve-wracking, though.

-Hydra

ShadowWing

Mar 11, 2002, 6:29:12 PM3/11/02

Xyster the Battle Alicorn wrote

>I don't see why people want him so badly anyway. Shockwave is a much
>nicer toy.

Because he's Megatron, leader of the Decepticons, in the same alt mode
from the show, or something along those lines. Having never had either, I
agree that his tank mode is a better choice, but it's not the Megs we grew
up with. Personally, I'm not begging to get one, but if one was available
around my sector (even the knockoff), I'd get one.
| HEROIC AUTOBOT ^ ^ {ShadowWing} |
| AMONG MAXIMALS |()| { transfan} |
| [CYBERTRON] \/ Ż||Ż||Ż||ŻŻ |
|ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Ż Ż ŻŻŻŻŻŻ|
|Function: /\ /\ str: 7.0|
|Guardian / \ ()/ \ int: 8.5|
|Motto:"One's true / /\ o[]o/\ \ spd: 9.0|
|form lies within." / ——o—[]—o—— \ end: 7.0|
|Survivor of every / / / 00 \ \ \rnk: 6.0|
|Transformer war. 00 cor:10.0|
|More information on line ^^ fire:5.4|
|Visit THE TRANSFORMATION ZONE skl: 9.2|
|http://pages.cthome.net/ShadowWing |
|last updated on 4/1/2001 AD |
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

ShadowWing

Mar 11, 2002, 6:29:13 PM3/11/02

Zobovor and His Many Dragons wrote

>Out of curiosity, what would it take to put this whole thread out of its
>misery?

A magnifying glass, a bowl of rice, and the feather of a young condor.

Jeremiah

Mar 11, 2002, 9:55:52 PM3/11/02
bastard trolls aside and back onto the topic...
Back in the 80s, i believe there was actaully a report of someone
getting shot for "aiming" a Shockwave figure at cops. As someone
mentioned, several feet away, in dim light, anything gun-shaped is a
threat. And i'd say that even in well-lit areas, megatron could
easily be confused for a real gun about 20 feet away (assuming you
don't have all the accessories attached) There are smaller pistols,
people aren't going to say "hey, that's too small to be a real
walther", they're just going to think "gun". The barrel and the
trigger guard are the only unrealistic looking parts of the gun (you
won't see the plastic head piece if it's pointed at you)
On a morbid note, if i were ever to be diagnosed as terminally ill,
getting gunned down holding Megatron could perhaps be the most
glorious way for a Transfan to go.

Ka Faraq Gatri

Mar 11, 2002, 10:21:31 PM3/11/02
On 11 Mar 2002 03:09:07 GMT, tfje...@aol.com (Jenna) wrote:

>In article <s0qm8u06as046ifcj...@4ax.com>, Ka Faraq Gatri
><kfg...@rcn.com> writes:
>
>> Do you own a G1 Megatron? I have mine right in front of me, and I
>>can say IMO it is a very good approximation of a real gun. Add in a
>>little distance so the `Con symbol and the extra seams aren't obvious,
>>and I think it could easily be mistaken for the real thing. And an
>>orange barrel might not be enough to ruin the illusion.
>
>To answer your questions Ka Faraq, no I do not own the Megatron toy, but I have
>seen it in person before. I do not think that anyone who could actually see it
>up close and in good light would mistake it for a real gun (it is child sized,
>I have small hands and I still can not hold it comfortably.) But I do agree
>that nobody would be able to tell that it was not a real gun if they were
>standing in a dark alley or if they were really far away.

Well, it might be too small for a Walther P-38, but I think there
actually are guns that small. (I'm not a gun expert, and I'm basing
this on a gun display I saw in the FBI building tour years ago. I
freely admit I may be wrong here.) And you can just call me Dave. It's
easier to spell (not to mention pronounce).

>Nobody should EVER point something at a cop that looks like a gun, of course
>the cop is going to shoot. There ARE other toy companies making real looking
>toy guns, so Hasbro not making them will not really stop the problem.

But the fact that other companies make realistic toy guns doesn't
mean Hasbro has any interest in it. Even though they wouldn't directly
be responsible for a kid getting shot because he pointed Megatron at a
cop, it wouldn't be good PR for Hasbro, or for the Transformers line.
IMO, I doubt Hasbro would want a story like that associated with one
of its long-standing lines.

> Also it
>is not really fair that Hasbro should have to do this just because some people
>are irresponsible. That is like saying there should never be ANY violence on
>T.V. just in case some kids go out to act it out and get in trouble because of
>it.

I agree that this sort of protection-from-oneself can be carried
too far, but I don't think this is a case of it. The kids can play
with a Power Rangers UltraMegaZapBlaster just as readily as a real
gun. They can even imagine that it is a realistic gun to play "Cops &
Robbers". So why put kids at risk by making the toys look real?

>> Besides, G2 tank Megatron was a better toy. Big,
>>intimidating-looking, sturdy tank Megs with sound effects. If Hasbro
>>wanted to reissue a version the character, _that's_ the way to go.
>
>What I would really like to see is a "cybertronic" gun mode, a little like
>Shockwave, but that still looked like Megatron. They can still make space guns,
>and Hasbro IS making Star Wars guns......

I always imagined a cannon/gun emplacement Cybertronian mode for
Megatron, rather than a handgun. It just seems undignified for the
Decepticon leader to be dependant on one of his troops do dish out
damage in weapon mode. Not to mention risky, when the wielder in
question is Starscream.

Thylacine 2000

Mar 12, 2002, 1:41:57 AM3/12/02
Ka Faraq Gatri wrote:

> >that nobody would be able to tell that it was not a real gun if they were
> >standing in a dark alley or if they were really far away.
> >

> Well, it might be too small for a Walther P-38, but I think there
> actually are guns that small. (I'm not a gun expert, and I'm basing
> this on a gun display I saw in the FBI building tour years ago. I
> freely admit I may be wrong here.)

Don't worry--you're not. G1 Megatron is not "child sized". Even if
he is small for a P-38, which I don't think he is, he's well within
the realistic size range of any number of real, lethal guns.

Which is exactly what he looks like.

Zobovor and His Many Dragons

Mar 12, 2002, 2:54:07 AM3/12/02
Jeremiah wrote:

>On a morbid note, if i were ever to be diagnosed as terminally ill,
>getting gunned down holding Megatron could perhaps be the most
>glorious way for a Transfan to go.

Actually, I expect you'd just become the butt of another uncomfortable joke.

Neale Davidson

Mar 12, 2002, 10:10:40 AM3/12/02
> I would not argue with this at all, if someone points something at a cop
that
> COULD be a weapon, then he should shoot. But he should not shoot to kill,
he
> should shoot him in the leg to incapacatate (sp?) him.

It's not that easy. At 50 yards, a typical policeman may hit the leg, the
groin,
the stomach, etc. It's not like the video-games where your target is always
right in front of you in full color and full clarity. I'm sure every police
officer
would be glad to just be able to take a perp down without killing him...
reality
isn't that simple.

United States Police Forces, however, do invest a great amount of money into
non-lethal deterrants, and many have been meeting with great success. It
will
be awhile, though, before they can truly replace guns.

> What kind of scanner systems? You mean like at the airport? Megatron is
mostly
> made of plastic, only the screws and parts of his legs are metal, you
could see
> in an X-ray scan that he is not a working gun.

Wrongo. First, there are several guns today made of high-grade plastics.
Second, an airport X-Ray machine also pics up on the shape of the figure.
Megatron /clearly/ shows up as a pistol on these machines (and, yes, I speak
from experience here.)

Super Fire Conboi

Mar 12, 2002, 11:23:50 AM3/12/02
In the military, I was trained to target at the "center of mass" from that
far away, or less I'd miss with a conventional weapon that has no scope or
laser targetting system attached to it, and the drill sergeants were right.

"Neale Davidson" <ne...@protoformproject.com> wrote in message

Draconis

Mar 12, 2002, 12:56:27 PM3/12/02
Considering that there are guns small enought to fully conceal in the palm
of your hand you're far from wrong.
My dad collects guns, and I remember once I borrowed my friends Megatron
(which he'd never put the stickers on), and put it in the gun case with my
dads guns. From five feet away it took him almost 20 minutes to actually
find Megs. Oh and before anyone here comments on my dad letting is kids play
around with these dangerous weapons unsupervised, I'll just let you know
that he taught me practically everything there was to know about those guns,
including ways to disable them, and the correct (safe) way to handle them. I
wasn't about to go messing around with those guns and pointing them at
someone, if I even handled them it was with the action open, and I was
completely sure it wasn't loaded. Haveing a gun doesn't automatically put
you at risk of getting shot, accidentally or otherwise. Being an idiot and
having a gun without properly teaching all of those that could possibly get
access to it the correct way to handle it puts you at risk.

If it wasn't obvious I am at least somewhat pro gun, but I am not part of,
nor would i ever be part of the NRA, they take things to a stupid level. I
think every person should be allowed to have a gun, well at least any person
that has nothing at all on their record. They should of course be requird to
take some classes on the proper use and handling of that gun.

As someone else pointed out, even those areas that have banned guns have
problems with them, just because something is illeagal, doesn't mean it'll
go away. By making it leagal, and educating people about it, the problem
will at least diminish, it'll never go away as long as people are around,
but it won't be as bad.

Ignoring a problem won't make it go away, but at the same time neither will
completely restricting or banning it. Criminals are criminals, if they're
willing to use a gun against another person, they're not going to care if
it's illeagal to have the gun.so unless you're going to completely eliminate
ALL guns from the world, including those used by military and law
enforcement, they'll be a problem, legal or not.

--

"Ka Faraq Gatri" <kfg...@rcn.com> wrote in message

Trixter

Mar 12, 2002, 1:56:22 PM3/12/02
"Neale Davidson" <ne...@protoformproject.com> wrote in message news:<QToj8.24$x_2....@news1.news.adelphia.net>...

> Wrongo. First, there are several guns today made of high-grade plastics.
> Second, an airport X-Ray machine also pics up on the shape of the figure.
> Megatron /clearly/ shows up as a pistol on these machines (and, yes, I speak
> from experience here.)

Were you the one who wrote in that story to Tony Buchanan about coming
back from BotCon all those years ago and absent-mindedly sticking
Megatron in the carry-on? 'Cause that was the best story EVER! If
not, well, know you're not the first then, I suppose.

-Trixter

Neale Davidson

Mar 12, 2002, 4:19:14 PM3/12/02
> Were you the one who wrote in that story to Tony Buchanan about coming
> back from BotCon all those years ago and absent-mindedly sticking
> Megatron in the carry-on? 'Cause that was the best story EVER! If
> not, well, know you're not the first then, I suppose.

*laughs*

I saw the story, but that wasn't me.

I just meant that I've seen Megatron through metal detectors and
X-Ray scanners. :)

Craig Little

Mar 12, 2002, 7:20:03 PM3/12/02

> CRYOTEK WILL EAT YOUR TRANSMORPH!

Mmmm, edible knock offs

Jenna

Mar 12, 2002, 11:07:51 PM3/12/02
In article <QToj8.24$x_2....@news1.news.adelphia.net>, "Neale Davidson"
<ne...@protoformproject.com> writes:

>It's not that easy. At 50 yards, a typical policeman may hit the leg, the
>groin,
>the stomach, etc. It's not like the video-games where your target is always
>right in front of you in full color and full clarity. I'm sure every police
>officer
>would be glad to just be able to take a perp down without killing him...
>reality
>isn't that simple.

Well O.K. I guess you are right, thank you for helping me see the other side of
the issue. =)

>United States Police Forces, however, do invest a great amount of money into
>non-lethal deterrants, and many have been meeting with great success. It
>will
>be awhile, though, before they can truly replace guns.
>
>> What kind of scanner systems? You mean like at the airport? Megatron is
>mostly
>> made of plastic, only the screws and parts of his legs are metal, you
>could see
>> in an X-ray scan that he is not a working gun.
>
>Wrongo. First, there are several guns today made of high-grade plastics.
>Second, an airport X-Ray machine also pics up on the shape of the figure.
>Megatron /clearly/ shows up as a pistol on these machines (and, yes, I speak
>from experience here.)

Unless he is in robot mode. =)

Jenna

Mar 12, 2002, 11:07:52 PM3/12/02
In article <s4rq8u0n38bfhnkqn...@4ax.com>, Ka Faraq Gatri
<kfg...@rcn.com> writes:

> Well, it might be too small for a Walther P-38, but I think there
>actually are guns that small. (I'm not a gun expert, and I'm basing
>this on a gun display I saw in the FBI building tour years ago. I
>freely admit I may be wrong here.) And you can just call me Dave. It's
>easier to spell (not to mention pronounce).

O.K. Dave it is. =)

>>Nobody should EVER point something at a cop that looks like a gun, of course
>>the cop is going to shoot. There ARE other toy companies making real looking
>>toy guns, so Hasbro not making them will not really stop the problem.
>
> But the fact that other companies make realistic toy guns doesn't
>mean Hasbro has any interest in it. Even though they wouldn't directly
>be responsible for a kid getting shot because he pointed Megatron at a
>cop, it wouldn't be good PR for Hasbro, or for the Transformers line.
>IMO, I doubt Hasbro would want a story like that associated with one
>of its long-standing lines.

Well how come Hasbro makes GI Joe guns but not TF guns?

> I always imagined a cannon/gun emplacement Cybertronian mode for
>Megatron, rather than a handgun. It just seems undignified for the
>Decepticon leader to be dependant on one of his troops do dish out
>damage in weapon mode. Not to mention risky, when the wielder in
>question is Starscream.

Hehehe, that is true, what happens when Megatron tells Starscream that he is
going to tf, but Starscream just crosses his arms and pouts because Megatron
yelled at him earlier in the episode. =)

JHooksX

Mar 13, 2002, 5:05:34 AM3/13/02
>see this is why we need to have segregation again so that we are
>protected from gangbangers...... like jhooksx! he is a gangbanger and
>i bet he steals his tfs , thank gods at keast kevin2112 & dave barry
>see the light
>
>i also urge every1 going to botcon to search jhooksx for weapons if he
>shoes his blk face ,he has never been out of the ghetto and can be a
>potential safety hazard to every1 at botcon

Hehehehehehhehehehehehhehehehehehehehehhehehehehehhehehehehehheheheheheheh
ehehhehehehehehhehehehehehhehehehehehehehehhehehehehehhehehehehehheheheheh
ehehehehhehehehehehhehehehehehhehehehehehehehehhehehehehehhehehehehehheheh
ehehehehehehhehehehehehhehehehehehhehehehehehehehehheheheh.

(X)

JHooksX

Mar 13, 2002, 5:10:48 AM3/13/02
>Racist buttplug. I may not like Hooks X personally, but I don't like him for
>very real reasons, not because he's black. And I see no other reason for this
>post of yours other than pointless racism.

"Very real reasons"? Did I break into your house and steal some Transformers,
while wearing a t-shirt that says "Zaku Stinks!" and making out with your
girlfriend?

If not, then I'd be REALLY interested in what those "very real reasons" are.
Methinks they aren't THAT bad.

(Of course, considering I barely post anymore, yet now have hate from a racist,
a porn dealer, and now YOU, I wonder where it's all coming from.)

>I'm sure Hooks X has a decent job and is >an upstanding member of society.

</sarcasm>

(X)

Trixter

Mar 13, 2002, 9:10:16 AM3/13/02
tfje...@aol.com (Jenna) wrote in message news:<20020312230752...@mb-bh.aol.com>...

> Well how come Hasbro makes GI Joe guns but not TF guns?

...where have you seen child-size role-play GI Joe guns? They sell GI
Joe guns for the JOES to use, but the police would have to be two feet
away to tell that 1/6th scale AK-47 is even a toy gun and not a fancy
black ink pen. Nobody's saying Hasbro's not giving the FIGURES guns,
and nobody's saying pointing, say, the tiny chunk of red plastic that
is Ro-Tor's gun will get you in trouble. That is in no way any kind
of proper comparison. You have yet to make any valid points in this
and should probably call it quits before you start hitting the
killfiles.

-Trixter

Paul Segal

Mar 13, 2002, 2:24:49 PM3/13/02
Jenna wrote:

>> But the fact that other companies make realistic toy guns doesn't
>>mean Hasbro has any interest in it. Even though they wouldn't directly
>>be responsible for a kid getting shot because he pointed Megatron at a
>>cop, it wouldn't be good PR for Hasbro, or for the Transformers line.
>>IMO, I doubt Hasbro would want a story like that associated with one
>>of its long-standing lines.
>
>Well how come Hasbro makes GI Joe guns but not TF guns?

Hasbro does not make life-size, realistic G.I. Joe guns, as far as I know.

-Paul Segal
Email: aster...@yahoo.com ICQ: 24024819 AIM: asterphage
http://www.crosswinds.net/~asterphage
I can make anything go faster!

Zaku II

Mar 13, 2002, 2:26:39 PM3/13/02
JHooksX writes:

>"Very real reasons"? Did I break into your house and steal some
>Transformers,
>while wearing a t-shirt that says "Zaku Stinks!" and making out with your
>girlfriend?

I didn't say I hated you, just that I don't like you. There's a big difference.

>If not, then I'd be REALLY interested in what those "very real reasons" are.
>Methinks they aren't THAT bad.
>
>(Of course, considering I barely post anymore, yet now have hate from a
>racist,
>a porn dealer, and now YOU, I wonder where it's all coming from.)

Only three people hate/don't like you? You're doing good, then.

>>I'm sure Hooks X has a decent job and is >an upstanding member of society.
>
></sarcasm>

I was just trying to show the racist SFB where I stand, that's all.

-Sean Kneeland
http://members.aol.com/zaku2ms06/main.html
Email: tankorr_pulverize at yahoo dot com

Jenna

Mar 13, 2002, 10:09:09 PM3/13/02
In article <3f352d62.02031...@posting.google.com>,
trix...@hotmail.com (Trixter) writes:

>...where have you seen child-size role-play GI Joe guns?

Sorry....I meant to say Star Wars guns. They DO make life size Star Wars guns,
and they look almost exactly like real guns. So how come Hasbro will make those
but they will not make TF guns?

You have yet to make any valid points in this
>and should probably call it quits before you start hitting the
>killfiles.

Well if you really need to killfile me just because you can not handle some one
else having a different opinion then be my guest. =)

Super Fire Conboi

Mar 14, 2002, 1:38:04 AM3/14/02

Jen One wrote in message...

> Sorry....I meant to say Star Wars guns. They DO make life size Star Wars
guns,
> and they look almost exactly like real guns. So how come Hasbro will make
those
> but they will not make TF guns?

IIRC, they used to look 'real' only to the point that they were made with
black plastic. But that was over a decade ago. Lately, they are made in
gaudy colors, like the G2 Megatron Tank.

(Okay, I hope that the above statements won't give the criminals any ideas
about painting their real weapons into gaudy colors just to fool the police
into thinking they're toys.)

Michael Peavy

Mar 14, 2002, 1:54:40 AM3/14/02
Super Fire Conboi wrote:

> IIRC, they used to look 'real' only to the point that they were made with
> black plastic. But that was over a decade ago. Lately, they are made in
> gaudy colors, like the G2 Megatron Tank.

It depends on the gun, too. The stuff released for Phantom Menace wasn't
very realistic, but Han's pistol was based on a Mauser pistol, while the
Stormtroopers' rifles are based on a British submachine gun. And by based,
I mean the real guns with a few doohickeys added on.

> (Okay, I hope that the above statements won't give the criminals any ideas
> about painting their real weapons into gaudy colors just to fool the police
> into thinking they're toys.)

Probably the best example I can think of would be Entertech waterguns.
They had Uzis, Colts, and Skorpions. Very realistic looking.

==
Mike
"I'm as happy as a dingo in a preschool."

Neale Davidson

Mar 14, 2002, 1:52:18 PM3/14/02
> In the military, I was trained to target at the "center of mass" from that
> far away, or less I'd miss with a conventional weapon that has no scope or
> laser targetting system attached to it, and the drill sergeants were
right.

Very true. Arms and legs move /quickly/ compared to the center of the
body - and are much harder to hit at range even if they didn't. In a fight
or die situation, you don't want to risk getting killed by missing a low-
probability shot.

Paul Segal

Mar 14, 2002, 2:05:58 PM3/14/02
Michael Peavy wrote:

>Super Fire Conboi wrote:
>
>> IIRC, they used to look 'real' only to the point that they were made with
>> black plastic. But that was over a decade ago. Lately, they are made in
>> gaudy colors, like the G2 Megatron Tank.
>
>It depends on the gun, too. The stuff released for Phantom Menace wasn't
>very realistic, but Han's pistol was based on a Mauser pistol, while the
>Stormtroopers' rifles are based on a British submachine gun. And by based,
>I mean the real guns with a few doohickeys added on.

Yeah. Some Phantom Menace toy guns were black and silver, but they had big
orange caps on them, and they weren't very realistic at all. The Battle Droid
rifle seems patterened after the old Stormtrooper rifle design, but it looks
more like a pistol with a big, long box on the top than any real gun - and it's
still got the big orange markings.

DrkSole96

Mar 14, 2002, 11:55:21 PM3/14/02
Y'know, realistic toy guns were played with for decades in this country (USA)
before the mid-eighties and there weren't droves of kids being shot by cops
every year.

The argument that the kids will be shot by cops is paranoia.
Does anyone have statistics for this kind of thing?

Donovan Moser
DrkS...@aol.com

Aaron F. Bourque

Mar 15, 2002, 1:20:17 AM3/15/02
From: drks...@aol.com (DrkSole96)

>The argument that the kids will be shot by cops is paranoia.

. . . . --[head explode]

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque
CRYOTEK WILL EAT YOUR DREAMS!

--
http://delinquents.keenspace.com/d/20010703.html
Damn the tree and all its kind!
Nothing's impossible in the hot soul.
Hell damn crap fun!

ShadowWing

Mar 16, 2002, 11:31:07 AM3/16/02
DrkSole96 wrote

>Y'know, realistic toy guns were played with for decades in this country
>(USA) before the mid-eighties and there weren't droves of kids being shot
>by cops every year.

That was then. Nowadays there is more violence by kids these days. It's
become a lot more dangerous on the streets--especially for police officers.
So they are forced to be a bit more reactionary in order to save lifes,
including their own. It's really more of a sign of the times, but nobody
really seems interested in acknowledging that; they'd rather just "clean up"
cartoons (some of the shows *we* use to watch as kids would *never* see the
light of day today) and get rid of "evil" toy guns, rather than address the
real problems.

(I again point to New Jersey's ban on Super Soakers because some kid
shot a guy with one, and that guy came back later and shot the kid with a
*real* gun. Therefore their "solution" was to ban Super Soakers to "save the
children".)

It's the "feelgood" laws that make things worse; they only hide the real
problems, then they wonder why they don't work. Said laws are either just
superficial, some adaptation of a current law they haven't even bothered to
enforce or enforce properly, or only end up hurting the honest citizens,
while solving nothing or make it worse. (Like that so called "election
reform" bill which really just binds the hands of ordinary people to speak
out near election day, but that's another argument, though the best example
that comes into my head at the moment.)

Thomas Hamann

Mar 16, 2002, 2:35:12 PM3/16/02
"Neale Davidson" <ne...@protoformproject.com> said:
>> >We're the only country that allows civilians to own guns, and guess
>> >what, we have an ass high crime and murder rate to show for it, not to
>> >mention all the fun accidental shootings. Right to bear arms my
>> >fucking ass. Bunch of fucking retards.
>
>Our crime rate is one of the lowest in the world, actually. It's only
>high in comparison to the G-10 nations, and that's actually changing.
>Thanks to the proliferation of guns from Eastern Europe, the violent
>crime rate in Germany and the UK has been climbing at a dramatic
>rate. Criminals don't pay attention to gun bans... that's a lesson that
>Europe is learning onw.

Where the HELL do you get your information, Neale?

As far as I know we haven't had any Columbine High School shoot-outs here yet...

And criminals here seem to prefer to use shovels to remove ATMs from walls in
the middle of the night, instead of pointlessly killing 20 college students
after playing Halflife for days and nights and taking too much ritalin...
</sarcasm>

>Which brings another point. Our violent crime rate, outside of a few
>select urban areas, is very very low. When you throw in the very large
>cities, those with very strict gun-banning laws, it's only then that our
>crime rate gets worrying. Despite this, the crime rate in Baltimore
>and Detriot is not, by any stretch, a good measure of the crime rate
>in the United States.

I bet this is all according to the NRA...

>Also, again, the actual number of accidental shoots is well-documented,
>and it's very very low. You're more likely to drown in the bathtub than
>be the victim of your own firearm from an accidental shooting. That
>doesn't forgive, however, anyone who uses guns in an irresponsible way.

Yeah, you're also more likely to die in a car accident than in an air crash,
although air crashes usually look worse... Different names, same thing.
--
Thomas Hamann
http://evilskylark.tripod.com/ (under construction)

Thomas Hamann

Mar 16, 2002, 2:35:13 PM3/16/02
tru...@hotmail.com (Orin Drake) said:
>"spiflication" <bustam...@attbi.com> wrote in message news:<Rwji8.5584$702.9534@sccrnsc02>...
>> You know....any kids that does that is a
>> complete-moronic-mongloid-helmet-dumb-shit with no grasp of reality. I
>> never had any problems like that when i was a kid, and even tho i never
>> handled a *real* gun at that period of my life i STILL knew the difference
>> and that a toy was just a fucking toy.
>

>I'd actually have to completely agree with that. But then, I'm the
>first to admit I was not a "normal" child. I liked documentaries and
>nature programs.

And I take it you didn't spell like some kids do today (eg. "u r @ l33t HaXx0R,
d00d")?

That's a disappearing type of kids...

Thomas Hamann

Mar 16, 2002, 2:35:13 PM3/16/02
Pyre <pyres...@crosswinds.net> said:
<snip>
>Frankly, Hasbro would be incredibly stupid to even consider selling gun
>Megs here. It's never going to happen. Accept it and get over it folks.

Just release him completely molded in neon red plastic, and without the bullet
shooting ability.

Devvi

Mar 16, 2002, 2:45:39 PM3/16/02
On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 19:35:13 GMT, hama...@yahoo.compost (Thomas
Hamann) wrote:

>Just release him completely molded in neon red plastic, and without the bullet
>shooting ability.

Hmmm... a clear Megatron exclusive... nifty :-)

Devvi

Túrin

Mar 16, 2002, 7:40:46 PM3/16/02
ShadowWing wrote:
> (I again point to New Jersey's ban on Super Soakers because some kid
> shot a guy with one, and that guy came back later and shot the kid with a
> *real* gun. Therefore their "solution" was to ban Super Soakers to "save the
> children".)
>
> It's the "feelgood" laws that make things worse; they only hide the real
> problems, then they wonder why they don't work. Said laws are either just
> superficial, some adaptation of a current law they haven't even bothered to
> enforce or enforce properly, or only end up hurting the honest citizens,
> while solving nothing or make it worse. (Like that so called "election
> reform" bill which really just binds the hands of ordinary people to speak
> out near election day, but that's another argument, though the best example
> that comes into my head at the moment.)

I know when I have a broken ankle, I like to just take a whole bunch of
Advil so it doesn't hurt. Problem solved.

Túrin

Denyer

Mar 16, 2002, 8:11:49 PM3/16/02
> Hmmm... a clear Megatron exclusive... nifty :-)

Heck yeah -- a Shining Megatron would beat Ultra Magnus hands down!

Seriously, d'ya reckon anyone has even contemplated this for the US market?

~Denyer
denyer.cjb.net

ShadowWing

Mar 16, 2002, 11:26:49 PM3/16/02

Túrin wrote

>I know when I have a broken ankle, I like to just take a whole bunch of
>Advil so it doesn't hurt. Problem solved.

Funny, "their" solution seems to be to knock you out with a hammer.:)

| HEROIC AUTOBOT ^ ^ {ShadowWing} |
| AMONG MAXIMALS |()| { transfan} |

| [CYBERTRON] \/ ¯||¯||¯||¯¯ |
|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯ ¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯|

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Zobovor and His Many Dragons

Mar 17, 2002, 12:41:17 AM3/17/02
Denyer wrote:

>Seriously, d'ya reckon anyone has even contemplated this for the US
>market?

A Megatron reissue in the USA? No, I don't believe anyone's ever thought along
those lines before.

Zobovor...

Merytneith

Mar 17, 2002, 1:15:21 AM3/17/02

Zobovor! Stop toying with the newbies.

It's not nice, and stuff.

--Mery...

Judge: Hmmmm, Mr. Hutz, do you realize you're not
wearing any pants?
Hutz: Ahh! I call for one of those bad...court...
thingies!
Judge: You mean a mistrial?
Hutz: Yeah! That's why you're the judge and I'm
the... law... talking... guy.

DrkSole96

Mar 17, 2002, 1:19:29 AM3/17/02

>>The argument that the kids will be shot by cops is paranoia.
>
>. . . . --[head explode]
>
>Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque
>CRYOTEK WILL EAT YOUR DREAMS!

Well, I'll go get a mop then.

Donovan Moser
DrkS...@aol.com

DrkSole96

Mar 17, 2002, 1:21:04 AM3/17/02
>Túrin wrote
>>
>>I know when I have a broken ankle, I like to just take a whole bunch of
>>Advil so it doesn't hurt. Problem solved.
>
> Funny, "their" solution seems to be to knock you out with a hammer.:)

Sounds like a non-sequitar to me.

Donovan Moser
DrkS...@aol.com

DrkSole96

Mar 17, 2002, 1:23:40 AM3/17/02
>Where the HELL do you get your information, Neale?
>
>As far as I know we haven't had any Columbine High School shoot-outs here
>yet...
>
>And criminals here seem to prefer to use shovels to remove ATMs from walls in
>the middle of the night, instead of pointlessly killing 20 college students
>after playing Halflife for days and nights and taking too much ritalin...
></sarcasm>

Well, don't know what country you're from, but Europe seems to have lot's of
nationalistic terrorist groups as an outlet for the dissafected youth.

Donovan Moser
DrkS...@aol.com

Aaron F. Bourque

Mar 17, 2002, 2:21:40 AM3/17/02
From: Merytneith meryt...@earthlink.ne

>Zobovor and His Many Dragons wrote:
>
>> Denyer wrote:
>>
>> >Seriously, d'ya reckon anyone has even contemplated this
>> >for the US market?
>>
>> A Megatron reissue in the USA? No, I don't believe anyone's
>> ever thought along those lines before.
>>
>> Zobovor...
>
>Zobovor! Stop toying with the newbies.
>
>It's not nice, and stuff.

He's married, has two kids, a job, writes fanfic, draws, makes
kitbashes, maintains a big ol' website, and is full of minutae on a
TV show from nearly 20-years ago. He's gotta have funs
*some*time.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque (insert ellipses here)
CRYOTEK WILL EAT YOUR STUFF!

It is loading more messages.