Walmart-Exclusive Legacy Capsule Series is G2-Tastic

Zobovor

Mar 15, 2023, 4:57:26 PM3/15/23
The next Walmart-exclusive series of Legacy toys following the Velocitron assortment is heavily inspired by Transformers: Generation 2—specifically, a bunch of proposed alternate deco toys that, until now, only existed as concept art and hand-painted prototypes.

https://tformers.com/walmart-legacy-evolution-g2-grimlock-autobot-jazz-toxitron-more-exclusives-reveals/49062/news.html

The upcoming toys include Leader-class Toxitron (redeco of G2 Laser Prime), Leader-class Grimlock (the Studio Series toy, decked out in the cancelled yellow tiger-striped redeco), Voyager-class Cloudcover (a redeco of Earthrise Ramjet in proposed sky blue colors with checkered deco), and Jazz (redeco of the Studio Series toy in a proposed orange color scheme, what people are already calling Doritos Jazz). Images can be found by following the link above.

Also, toys that have appeared in retail computers, but whose photos have not surfaced yet, include G2 Mirage (likely the proposed green-and-pink redeco), G2 Sideswipe (the black version would be too on-the-nose, so I'm guessing the proposed yellow-to-blue gradient version), G2 Dead End (he would be red with blue as a secondary color), and a Shadow Strip package refresh.

I've been a big advocate for Hasbro celebrating Generation 2 for a long time, but I feel like they skipped over the toys I'm actually nostalgic for, in favor of these concept toys that never saw the light of day. Like, it's cool that they're acknowledging that these toy concepts exist, but I would have been happy with a Grimlock in blue, or in teal. I would have been delighted with a G2 Starscream. Cloudcover exists, but I don't love him. I have no nostalgia for him.

I almost wonder if Hasbro looked at some of the G2 toys and went, "Well, a few of them are just the same colors that they were during G1." And that's true for maybe three characters—Optimus Prime looks the same only with a black trailer; Jazz is the same colors only with different stickers; Inferno is largely unchanged. But, that's it. Everybody else got a different color scheme than before.

At the end of the day, though, I know this is just a way for Hasbro to try to sell us the same toys over and over again, as many times as possible. I get that G2 is not mainstream by any stretch of the imagination, but it almost seems like they went a little too obscure this time.

Zob (so sleepy)

Travoltron

Mar 15, 2023, 9:44:13 PM3/15/23
I wish they'd just reissue Cosmos instead of these future shelfwarmers.

William A. Rendfeld

Mar 16, 2023, 9:48:36 AM3/16/23
I for one am only interested in Cloudcover, and maybe Dead End.

Zobovor

Mar 18, 2023, 11:41:11 PM3/18/23
On Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 7:44:13 PM UTC-6, Travoltron wrote:

> I wish they'd just reissue Cosmos instead of these future shelfwarmers.

A Cosmos package refresh seems like a no-brainer. He's been one of the hardest Transformers to find in recent years. If they're not planning it yet, they need to be.

Zob (I'd probably buy it again as an eHobby Pathfinder redeco, too)

Zobovor

Mar 18, 2023, 11:56:01 PM3/18/23
On Thursday, March 16, 2023 at 7:48:36 AM UTC-6, William A. Rendfeld wrote:

> I for one am only interested in Cloudcover, and maybe Dead End.

I'm actively excited about Dead End in a way that I'm not about some of the others. They were just toy concepts. But Dead End made it all the way to the packaging phase. Hasbro was actively soliciting the G2 Stunticons and Protectobots to retailers, and they were being advertised as part of the G2 cartoon series. They got *this* close to being actually released. We were always meant to get them.

If it weren't for the development of Beast Wars, it's highly probable G2 would have continued for at least one more product year, and we would have seen a lot of the stuff being solicited like Autoroller General Optimus Prime and Sgt. Hound, Laser Cycle Jazz and Soundwave, etc. But, there's no indication that stuff like watermelon Mirage or Doritos Jazz were anything more than random ideas they were throwing around. So, I don't feel like we were robbed of getting, say, Cloudcover or Jungle Attack Starscream the way I feel we were robbed of the G2 Stunticons.

But, I suppose a redeco is a redeco, and I've been clamoring for years that I wanted G2-themed toys. So I guess I'd better just shut up and give them my money, because this is what I've been asking for all this time.

Zob (trying not to be a tremendous hypocrite)