Megaplex review.

TigerM...@webtv.net

Jul 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/1/00
PART of what sucked about the machine wars toys were the extremely
dull,no shine colors used on the plastic. the japanse versions were
better because they were very shiny & had a gloss in the paint.
( I know japan didnt sell the basics,hasbro created the basics).

Mighty Maximal

Jul 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/2/00
To: Alt.Toys.Transformers
From : Mighty Maximal
Date: Sunday, July 2nd, 2000
Subject: Megaplex review.

Hi folks,

Here's another review :
I am just finishing Mega Pretender Thunderwing i'll post that next. -

Regards, - Mighty Maximal.

------------------------------------
------------------------------------

TOY REVIEW : MACHINE WARS : EVIL DECEPTICON - MEGAPLEX ( Jet ).

Here's my sixth toy review I decided to order the Machine Wars Basic toys
recently and all 8 arrived recently
( June 15 th 2000 ) and here's my thoughts on the 3rd of them The Machine
Wars Evil Decepticon 'Megaplex'.

Unlike all the other Machine Wars toys Megaplex is not a new version of an
old character, but an entirely new one. Megaplex is a clone for Megatron in
structure and personality. He is a medium silver grey color and has black
stripes on the aircraft wings.

Megaplex Transforms from a YF 22 / FF22 Advanced Tactical Fighter Plane. and
share's this mould with another Machine Wars Jet 'Megatron' who is blue and
white, as well as the Beast Wars Second jet 'Thrust' that is yellow and
black in color.

This toy retailed originally for about $5.99 and it's primary retailer was
the North American retailer Kay Bee 'Circa 1997' for I believe $6.99 and
then discounted to $4.99, but was also later also sold in some American
discount stores. A contemporary unopened price would range from $5.00 to
$12.99. I am presently unaware of any release out side America in this
original Machine Wars form.

PACKAGING:
Megaplex is packed on a rounded bubble card like that of a basic Beast Wars
toy, the two parts of Megaplex's gun accessories are included as part of the
toy's body. this type of card is in my opinion much easier to open than the
Generation 2 type of bubble cards. Megaplex is in vehicle mode facing up and
left and is shown from above with the belly of the jet orientated towards
the card.

The card itself has a hook ring on top reinforced by a plastic label to make
the hook stronger, and a label is attached to the front of the bubble
stating 'Jet Converts to Robot Leader !'. (despite the fact that it is his
twin Megatron that's the leader).
The text font for 'Machine Wars' on the main card appears written in the
same font as Beast Wars was at the same time, Transformers is written in
slanted capitals beneath In white.

A curiosity about Machine Wars cards is that the front is laminated (as it
needs to be as the laminate when it is heated this is what holds the bubble
to the card), but the back of the card remains unlaminated.
The rear of the card shows the range of Machine Wars basic sized toys the
four Autobots Hoist, Prowl, Mirage, & Hubcap. And the Decepticons Megaplex,
Megatron, Skywarp, & Thundercracker. But not the larger items.
Oddly Megaplex is actually medium and dark blue on the rear of the card,
where as the actual toy is grey and dark teal in color.

All of these names except 'Megaplex' are the same as some of the original
Transformers Autobot and Decepticon Characters from the 1980's.
A simple 4 panel instruction is given for Megaplex's Transformation on the
rear of the card. and his Technical Specifications are included on the rear
of the card too.

If you want to read Megaplex's information then check Jon Hartman's Tech
Spec Archive :
http://noble.cioe.com/~jhartman/tf/tsarchive/tsarchive.html
http://noble.cioe.com/~jhartman/tf/tsarchive/america/1997/megaplex_(1997).jp

For Machine Wars Megaplex's Profile.

JET MODE DESCRIPTION:
Megaplex is a Small Jet fighter plane that is I believe either modeled after
the Prototype YF22, or the production F22 Advanced Tactical Fighter Aircraft
from the United States Airforce.
The aircraft's main body color is a silvery grey, with some parts of the
dark teal from the robot limbs visible beneath the wings.
The cockpit is also silver in color but is of a paler shade. The wings have
four black painted parallel stripes running front to back on each side of
the wings and tail flaps.
Over the top of these stripes are a couple of labels. On the planes left
wing is a forward pointing concentric triangle in black, white and blue.

And on the right wing is a black rectangle orientated sidewise with two
white smaller rectangles located on the front outer edge the rest of the
rectangle consists of a 'L' shaped blue bar shape.
Other features of this toy are unpainted engine intakes on the front and at
the rear, and a suggestion of vectored thrust nozzles. The underside shows
the robot limbs fairly obviously, but as they are sleekly shaped they don't
overly detract from the aircraft's appearance.

The plane mode also has fully retractable tricycle undercarriage with a
wheel mounted under the nose, that retracts and two other wheels - one in
each robot leg on the vehicles underside, unfortunately these wheels have no
paint and are moulded in a dark teal color. Leaving unfortunately the
non-turning tyres looking teal colored too.
This jet mode is shared by another Transformers namely the European
Decepticon Lightformer 'Fearswoop' who is a yellow YF 22 / F22.
The rear of the spine of the jet has an engine infrared baffle/ intake vent
that actually moves during transformation to robot mode.

DIMENSIONS:
From nose to tail Megaplex's jet mode is 4¾" (11.9cm).
The vehicle is 3" wide (7.8cm) and about 1 ¾" high (4.6cm).

TRANSFORMATION:
Megaplex's Transformation is similar to one of the original Basic Beast Wars
toys such as Rattrap or Razorbeast, but where as their transformation was
triggered by the animal's tail the Machine Wars jet's transformation is
triggered by the front of the toy -namely the nose.

To Transform Megaplex from jet mode to robot, first fold away the landing
gear if they are deployed. Then grasp the nose of the vehicle and activate
the mechanism by grasping the vehicles nose about the cockpit area and
pulling downwards so the nose separates at the top behind the cockpit. the
nose will pivot at a pinned joint at the base of the fuselage.
After the nose assembly has been unhooked and moved down slightly, this will
activate the spring mechanism, and the toy automatically initiates the
completion of the transformation movement.

After the plane nose dips down about ½" (1.5cm), the robot head will be
revealed as the nose travels back and down to form the robot chest, This is
the bulk of the robot mode transformation.
Now to complete the transformation holding the mostly revealed robot mode a
slight rotation may be required to get the arms facing in the correct
direction.

Once turned upright bend the arms to pose as required, and straighten the
robot hips and legs if required.
Megaplex has a shotgun barrel stored behind/inside his left leg, and a gun
body in his right leg. Each piece measures 1" (2.5cm) and plugs together to
form a longer gun just under 2" inches or (exactly 4.6cm).
Next when transforming back remove and separate the hand gun/ shotgun and
plug it back into the back of each of the robot's lower legs.

When reversing the order of the instructions to transform back to vehicle
mode begin by straightening the robot legs. and rotate and straighten the
robot arms so the gaps in his robot for arms are facing diagonally inward
towards his body but so they lay closely against the body.

Making sure the robot head is facing forwards, to complete the
transformation grasp the aircraft nose on the robot chest, and push it
upwards until it locks into position with a click just above of the aircraft
air intakes (closing over the robot head). this reverses the Transformation
and folds the robot back up into vehicle mode.

A final straightening of the robot arms and legs on the underside of the
plane, may be required to get everything fitting flush.
Megaplex is now back in his Jet mode, and is ready to 'fly for it'.
With practice the Transformation can be achieved practically
instantaneously.

ROBOT MODE DESCRIPTION:
Megaplex remains silvery grey colored in robot mode. His jet modes markings
remain visible in robot mode on the rear of the robot. The paint
applications on the toy that are visible in this mode is only the blue paint
coloring the robot mode's head, and the stripes on his back. The face itself
remains unpainted and is the same greyish silver color as the jet mode
color. The robot mode eyes are the same brighter silver as the cockpit
canopy.

Megaplex's legs are silver/grey and show the two landing gear wheels as they
are retracted into his shins. his thighs and groin are dark teal as is his
upper arms. the two gun pieces stored in his legs are the matching
silver/grey color. The same as are his lower arms and hands. His jet mode
cockpit is what forms his robot modes chest.

Some parts of the transformation mechanism are visible in this mode at the
robots back and are dark teal in color.
Articulation: Megaplex has a ball jointed shoulder, with some give so you
can angle the joint towards the rear or front, this is useful when posing
the arms in jet mode to get them out of the way.

Similarly the elbow joints are also ball jointed, but without the lateral
movement the shoulders joints have.
The hip joints have similar joints to the shoulders with a moderate amount
of lateral 'wiggle' the knee joints although ball jointed too, act more as
swivels due to their tightness, and allow backward movement of about 100°
Degrees, and some rotational movement too.

Megaplex has a ball jointed head but as the head has a metal pin holding the
cockpit the body transecting the base of his neck the movement allowed is
pretty much only rotational - side to side movement, and a tiny increment of
up and down motion.
Megaplex has two parts stored in the reverse side of his robot mode lower
legs, and these can be removed and one can be used as a gun handle / pistol
the other can be plugged on the barrel of the pistol and make a combined
'shotgun' weapon. there is no place for Megaplex to utilise his gun in jet
mode, unless you leave it plugged into his robot hand facing the other way.

Due to Megaplex's possibility he can hold the shot gun across his chest
whilst supporting the barrel in his other hand, thus I would say that the
Megaplex mould has the best articulation of the four basic moulds for the
Machine Wars Basic toys.

Size: Machine Wars 'Megaplex' is about 4" inches (9.8cm) tall in robot
mode -head to toe, when seen from the side his depth is about 1 ¾" high
(4.6cm) wide and measures 2" (5cm) across the shoulders. His wings extend to
the sides to about 3" (7.8cm) .

COMMENTS:
Some other reviewers dub Machine Wars Megaplex as the best of the Machine
Wars basics. I can see how this opinion can be muted - as Megaplex is a nice
little toy.
Additional comments.

1) Over all this toy stands pretty well due to the heel spurs on the rear of
the feet. I do feel that articulated toes would have made it stand even
better though. Although with practice this less important than it would be
to the Machine Wars Autobot characters.

2) Although mounted on a ball joint Megaplex's head does not have much
movement fore and aft as the toy has a pin restricting this type of
movement. It does rotate side to side well though.

3) A number of this toys minor color flaws have fortunately been fixed with
the Beast Wars Second version of this mould : D-15 'Thrust' such as - the
newest version of this mould now has painted black stripes on the robot
chest and the transparent back lit eye feature. That was missing because
grey plastic was used instead on this toy.

And also the transparent window feature (in this case utilising transparent
pink plastic)has been used. That should have in my opinion been included on
all of the Machine Wars basic toys, instead of utilising opaque plastic like
they tend to do. Extra silver paint was also used on the D-15 Thrust's
robot's face.

Other details on Thrust include the wings having black feather patterns on
them and a couple of other black marks on the jet's back. A Predicon style
Destron logo is displayed on the inside edge of the wings rather than a
label on each wing like with Megaplex and Megatron.

4) It would have been nice if at least some of the improvements made for
Beast Wars 2nd Thrust had been present originally, it seems a bit of a waste
to design a good little toy like this is and then not color in the details
in a more pleasing fashion. However the colors are much more pleasing on
this than on the Megatron Machines Wars jet.

5) A good point about this mould is that in neither mode does it suffer from
any particularly large cavities in the body. just a slim gap near the
robot's back - in the transformation mechanism, and a slight gap between the
engines in jet mode. This however is not inconsistent with the underbelly
shape of the real life aircraft on which Megaplex is based.

6) I Like the fact that the 3 screw holes on this toy are positioned in a
way as to not detract from the toy in either mode this can some times be a
real problem with some Beast Wars toys, but not in this case.

7) Why Hasbro neglected to include a G1 or G2 style Decepticon Logo on the
jet's tail or nose I don't know, away from the packaging it's only the toys
general apearance and the fact it's an aircraft that could lead you to guess
it's a Decepticon, rather than an Autobot. A Decepticon logo instead of the
Triangle label would have been quite sensible in my opinion. But such a
label is included only on Skywarp with the Machine Wars basics.

OPINION:
I think this toy is in many ways better than some of the other Machine Wars
toys, and the Auto Transform mechanism works well, It also shows a better
choice in the colors. Unfortunately the lack of transparent parts that were
in my opinion, needed from the offset is a slight detraction from the over
all look of the toy.

This Is an interesting toy as it's style seems to bridge several ranges. It
has a transformation similar to a first wave Basic Beast Wars toy. the size
and general appearance of a Transformers: Generation 2 'Cyberjet' or
'Skyscorcher' and yet the Jet mode is futuristic enough to not fit too badly
with a Beast Machines Vehicon.

This I feel broadens the toys play potential. and the quick transformation
mechanism is very condusive to dynamic play patterns. A toy with such a
mechanism is called a 'Flip Changer' now in Japan

FUN FACTOR: Megaplex has great articulation for a basic and he has a good
Transformation that does not take to long or is to fiddly, it also shows a
nicer use of colors than the other jets.

MATERIALS: Megaplex is made of a very good quality slightly shiny grey
plastic, and a dark teal plastic neither display any major flash scars or
moulding aberations, all detailing and structural lines on the toy are
clearly defined, and his face and wings shows no over spray. The only
visible mark on the toy is the mold seperation mark that runs along many of
his limbs, It is however positioned in a way so as to not detract from the
appearance, and is only noticable if hunted for.

His labels are paper rather than foil and these seem to wear much better
than foil labels ever do. His wheels lack paint and the landing gear is
unfortunately the same color as the wheels, this is not a big problem though
with the landing gear being dark teal, it does look a little odd though.
Imbedded castors might have been more useful, even if slightly more
unattractive.

DURABILITY: after looking carefully I would suggest care should be taken
with these parts : Megaplex has no real weak parts, particularly in jetmode.
But there might be a slight potential for damage to his knee and hip joints
if dropped heavily. and similarly as with many other Transformers care must
be taken not to twist the peg on his hand gun when unplugging it as the post
could sheer off, take care not to wiggle or twist it side to side when
seperating the rifle or splitting or fracturing is likely to the robot hand
or the gun.

If I had to pint out a single area to watch for it would be the hand gun
itself, if the toy was dropped it looks quite possible the gun could snap in
half at the joint, and / or at the handle where it plugs into the robot
hand, this is a danger with any Transformer where the hand is holding a
tight post.

IN CONCLUSION:
Megaplex is perhaps one of the most realistically colored Machine Wars toys,
and despite a mild amount of underdecoration - as is the habit with Hasbro,
Megaplex is arguably the best Decepticon Machine Wars toy, and is my second
favorite over-all next to the black Machine Wars Autobot Tow truck 'Hoist'.

Megaplex Is still a great toy by modern standards and is in some ways better
than some better than some Beast Machines toys, I personnaly feel a balanced
understated color can be preferable to to much bright color or Transparent
limbs as many Beast Machines toys with good designs are harmed by
underdecoration or bad colors - 'Geckobot' for example.

I don't mark this toy down for it's simplicity ... in fact I like that best
about it, and unlike a number of small 'Original Transformers' from the
first generation, this mould has real nice articulation and play value.

RATING:
I would rate this toy as an 8½ /10 or a 'B+' it's a fine toy and it only
looses marks due to it's overall lightness of color detail due to Hasbro's
cost cutting on the paint applications.

However this is marginally less noticeable than it is on the his twin the
'Megatron' Machine Wars toy.
And If I did not have a personal preference for black Transformers then this
would be rated as the best Machine Wars basic. I recommend to people not
sure about these moulds to get this one over Thrust or Megatron, even though
D-15 'Thrust' Has more paint details Megaplex has a more natural color
scheme.

NOTE:
For a second opinion and images see what Dave has to say here :
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~dvandom/MW/RantSmall
about Megaplex, Megatron and Co :
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~dvandom/MW/

The profile for Machine Wars Megaplex can be found here :
http://noble.cioe.com/~jhartman/tf/tsarchive/tsarchive.html
At Jon Hartman's Transformers techspecs archive.

BW Sidecutter

Jul 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/2/00
>He is a medium silver grey color and has black
>stripes on the aircraft wings.

Just a quick note. Based on package pictures and the card front art, it is my
sound belief that somehow or another Hasbro managed to swap Megatron and
Megaplex onto the wrong cards. You'll see that Megaplex's card art has the
colors of the toy that comes on the Megatron card, and vice versa.

>Megaplex Transforms from a YF 22 / FF22 Advanced Tactical Fighter Plane.

I'm pretty sure it's simply YF-22 and F-22 is simply the shortened common name.
The "designation" is, of course "Raptor".

>This toy retailed originally for about $5.99 and it's primary retailer was
>the North American retailer Kay Bee 'Circa 1997' for I believe $6.99 and
>then discounted to $4.99, but was also later also sold in some American
>discount stores.

Actually, the toys went right on Auto-Clearance the second they entered KB, so
they never were more than $4.99 for the basics. Only KB ever sold the basics,
and the only other stores that got any of them were KB's Outlet Mall and Strip
Mall locations (Toy Liquidators and Toy Works respectively). The only other
place to sell any MW toys was Meijer, who got a few Optimus Primes and a
buttload of Starscreams.

JRX - Best TF of the first half of 2000

Better than Alladvantage and the rest. Get paid just for being logged online.
http://www.DesktopDollars.com/default.asp?id=Sidecutter

BW Sidecutter
Http://connect.to/DSNPort91881

Survive

Jul 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/2/00

BW Sidecutter <wrait...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >He is a medium silver grey color and has black
> >stripes on the aircraft wings.
>
> Just a quick note. Based on package pictures and the card front art, it
is my
> sound belief that somehow or another Hasbro managed to swap Megatron and
> Megaplex onto the wrong cards. You'll see that Megaplex's card art has
the
> colors of the toy that comes on the Megatron card, and vice versa.

TYPED IN CAPS TO DIFFERENTIATE - 'NOT TRYING TO BE RUDE' !

THE CARD ART IS FROM PREDATOR PLANES AND THAT'S WHY IT LOOKS ODD.

MEGATRON'S ART SHOWS : THE F117 JET -CALLED 'FALCON'.
AND MEGAPLEX SHOWS : THE SAME BUT IN THE BLUE COLOR FROM THE REAR OF THE
CARD.

HOWEVER I CONCER THAT THE PROFILE ART LOOKS LIKE THE COLORS WERE MENT TO BE
THE OPPOSITE WAY.

ALTHOUGH THEY DON'T QUITE MATCH EITHERS FINAL COLOR.

MEGAPLEX IS ACTUALLY DARK BLUE ON THE CARD REAR AND THERFORE DOES NOT MATCH
EITHER
MEGATRON OR MEGAPLEX'S FINAL VERSIONS.

> >Megaplex Transforms from a YF 22 / FF22 Advanced Tactical Fighter Plane.
>

> I'm pretty sure it's simply YF-22 and F-22 is simply the shortened common
name.
> The "designation" is, of course "Raptor".

YF 22 IS THE PROTOTYPE OF THE THE F22 IT WAS A PLANE ENTERED INTO A
COMPETION YF 22 AND YF 23 - YF 22 WON AND BECAME F-22 ATF.

++++ inccidentaly the YF 23 jet is what the Predator plane 'sky dive' is
modeled after and his art is used on 'Thundercraker' and 'Skywarp' +++++

> >This toy retailed originally for about $5.99 and it's primary retailer
was
> >the North American retailer Kay Bee 'Circa 1997' for I believe $6.99 and
> >then discounted to $4.99, but was also later also sold in some American
> >discount stores.
>

> Actually, the toys went right on Auto-Clearance the second they entered
KB, so
> they never were more than $4.99 for the basics. Only KB ever sold the
basics,
> and the only other stores that got any of them were KB's Outlet Mall and
Strip
> Mall locations (Toy Liquidators and Toy Works respectively). The only
other
> place to sell any MW toys was Meijer, who got a few Optimus Primes and a
> buttload of Starscreams.

THE SHIPPED IN SOME KAY BEE'S LATE '96 FOR THE MENTIONED $5.99 PRICE.
BUT AS YOU SAY WERE ON CLEARENCE VERY SOON AFTER.

TOY LIQUIDATORS WAS TO WHOM I WAS REFERING, BUT THEY WERE AVAILBLE ELSE
WHERE. - UNFORTUNATLY I DON'T HAVE THE STORES NAMES TO HAND RIGHT NOW. IT
WORKED OUT ABOUT 95 PERCENT KAY BEE RELATED THOUGH.

MINE WERE $5.00 AND CAME FROM A STORE COMPLETLY UNRELATED TO KAY BEE.

> JRX - Best TF of the first half of 2000
>
> Better than Alladvantage and the rest. Get paid just for being logged
online.
> http://www.DesktopDollars.com/default.asp?id=Sidecutter
>
> BW Sidecutter
> Http://connect.to/DSNPort91881

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY !. MM.

Zobovor

Jul 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/2/00
Survive wrote:

>>You'll see that Megaplex's card art has the colors of the toy that
>>comes on the Megatron card, and vice versa.
>
>TYPED IN CAPS TO DIFFERENTIATE - 'NOT TRYING TO BE RUDE' !

Actually, the ">" symbol in from of the lines that you quoted is usually
sufficient to differentiate between your words and the person you're quoting.
It's a bit more difficult to read text in all-caps.

>MEGATRON'S ART SHOWS : THE F117 JET -CALLED 'FALCON'.

<ZobSnippage™ should be a Sniglet>

>++++ inccidentaly the YF 23 jet is what the Predator plane 'sky dive' is
>modeled after and his art is used on 'Thundercraker' and 'Skywarp'
>+++++

You know, this is one of the few questions I've asked repeatedly on this
newsgroup but never got an answer for. Thank for for finally providing that
info. :)

Zobovor... why in the hell did they use Laser Rod Jolt's card art for Machine
Wars Prowl and Mirage?? Wouldn't someone like DELUGE, who actually transformed
into the SAME KIND OF CAR, be a bit more appropriate? Sigh. :P

Straight-Edge

Jul 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/2/00
>>Zobovor... why in the hell did they use Laser Rod Jolt's card art for Machine
Wars Prowl and Mirage?? Wouldn't someone like DELUGE, who actually transformed
into the SAME KIND OF CAR, be a bit more appropriate? Sigh. :P>>

Hell, GoBot Mirage would have been a better pic choice. It was an F-1 racer,
*and* the foward half became his chest, same as the Machine Wars mold.
Straight-Edge (Trademarked by Lanard Toys, damn them)