The last days of Optimus Prime by Simon Furman

Paul Cannon

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
This story originally featured in the Transforce 2000 magazine, from the UK
convention. The 2 page strip is written by Simon Furman and drawn by veteran
UK Transformers artist Jeff Anderson. Also featuring a colour cover by UK
Transformers artist Lee Sullivan and Sean Bastick.

The last days of Optimus Prime is now online at www.transforce.co.uk

--
Webmaster Paul Cannon opt...@primus.prestel.co.uk

Michael Payton

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
In article <8gtu1m$ar0$1...@phys-ma.sol.co.uk>, "Paul Cannon"
<ne...@primus.prestel.co.uk> wrote:

> This story originally featured in the Transforce 2000 magazine, from the UK
> convention. The 2 page strip is written by Simon Furman and drawn by veteran
> UK Transformers artist Jeff Anderson. Also featuring a colour cover by UK
> Transformers artist Lee Sullivan and Sean Bastick.
>

> The last days of Optimus Prime is now online at www.transforce.co.uk

After a year of mutant beasties, this was worth the wait. My thanks to
Simon & Jeff & Lee & Richard. (And Sean too ;-) I hope they can return to
do more convention comics in the future.
--
Aim at Heaven and you will get the Earth as well.
Aim at Earth and you will get neither.

Hooks

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00

Michael Payton <mpa...@netwalk.com> wrote in message

> In article <8gtu1m$ar0$1...@phys-ma.sol.co.uk>, "Paul Cannon"
> <ne...@primus.prestel.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > This story originally featured in the Transforce 2000 magazine, from the
UK
> > convention. The 2 page strip is written by Simon Furman and drawn by
veteran
> > UK Transformers artist Jeff Anderson. Also featuring a colour cover by
UK
> > Transformers artist Lee Sullivan and Sean Bastick.
> >

> > The last days of Optimus Prime is now online at www.transforce.co.uk
>
> After a year of mutant beasties, this was worth the wait.

Agreed.

My thanks to
> Simon & Jeff & Lee & Richard. (And Sean too ;-) I hope they can return to
> do more convention comics in the future.

Shame it was only two-pages long. Of course, it was a wonderful two pages,
but still...

(X)
Yes, the Care Bears are back. Prepare to be cuddled once more.

Aaron F. Bourque

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
Hooks (hoo...@gte.net) howled at the mono:

>Shame it was only two-pages long. Of course, it was a wonderful two
>pages, but still...

You have strange tastes, my friend.

Oh, hell, who doesn't?

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque

--
Being grown up all the time is only a sign of immaturity.

Come on, people! Grow up! Act stupid!

M Sipher

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
Ummmmm... mind telling me why your web page seems to want to access my
computer every couple seconds? My firewall program keeps sending me messages
every ten seconds or so that it's blocked access to my computer from
www.homeusers.prestel.co.uk

M "I'm Not Kidding. Might Wanna Look Into This" Sipher
--
King Weasel Productions - home of the productions of King Weasel!
Transformers, RockMan, original art, the solutions to all life's problems

The Wombat King

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
I guess I'm missing something here. Maybe I should read more of the UK comics
cause I didn't really follow that.
And is there anyway to get better scans? The text is very blurry.

WK

Womba...@aol.com
Please remove the SPAMFREE to respond to me.

MasterShrink

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Michael Payton Wrote:
>In article <8gtu1m$ar0$1...@phys-ma.sol.co.uk>, "Paul Cannon"
><ne...@primus.prestel.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> This story originally featured in the Transforce 2000 magazine, from the UK
>> convention. The 2 page strip is written by Simon Furman and drawn by
>veteran
>> UK Transformers artist Jeff Anderson. Also featuring a colour cover by UK
>> Transformers artist Lee Sullivan and Sean Bastick.
>>

>> The last days of Optimus Prime is now online at www.transforce.co.uk
>
>After a year of mutant beasties, this was worth the wait. My thanks to

>Simon & Jeff & Lee & Richard. (And Sean too ;-) I hope they can return to
>do more convention comics in the future.

Agreed. Even though it was two pages it was nice to see Op again. Nice take,
having him become forgotten by Cybertron.
This is a good fate for him as a character.

Adn that was a nice image of Prime and Megatron shaking hands. Hats off to
Simon and everyone else involved.

-Master Shrink

Hooks

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00

Aaron F. Bourque <afbo...@aol.compliance> wrote in message

> Hooks (hoo...@gte.net) howled at the mono:
>
> >Shame it was only two-pages long. Of course, it was a wonderful two
> >pages, but still...
>
> You have strange tastes, my friend.

Why? Because I enjoyed the two pages? 'Kay. Well, I wasn't absolutely
pleased with it. Two pages and that's it? *yawn* But it WAS a lot for
those two pages. Really.

Shame it is out of canon, considering BW/BM takes place in CARTOON
continuity, with comic influences added in.

(X)
Look, those people are brain-dead.

Aaron F. Bourque

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Hooks (hoo...@gte.net) howled at the mono:

>>>Shame it was only two-pages long. Of course, it was a wonderful
>>>two pages, but still...
>>
>>You have strange tastes, my friend.
>
>Why? Because I enjoyed the two pages? 'Kay. Well, I wasn't
>absolutely pleased with it. Two pages and that's it? *yawn* But it
>WAS a lot for those two pages. Really.

If you say so. I guess I just didn't see it.

Straight-Edge

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Well, I wasn't
>absolutely pleased with it. Two pages and that's it? *yawn* But it
>WAS a lot for those two pages. Really.

If you say so. I guess I just didn't see it.>>

Neither did I. He just died. I mean, Igot how and why that was moving, but to
base the whole "featured attraction" of Transforce 2000 around it, seemed
overly hyped for not too much oomph.
Straight-Edge (Trademarked by Lanard Toys, damn them)

Andrew Crane

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Hooks <hoo...@gte.net> wrote in message
> Why? Because I enjoyed the two pages? 'Kay. Well, I wasn't absolutely

> pleased with it. Two pages and that's it? *yawn* But it WAS a lot for
> those two pages. Really.
>
> Shame it is out of canon, considering BW/BM takes place in CARTOON
> continuity, with comic influences added in.

Simon Furman regards Beast Wars as taking place in his comic universe
(according to an interview in the Transforce 2000 magazine, he ignores Beast
Machines entirely). His own post-BW storyline is Reaching the Omega Point
(the BotCon stories).

Rapido

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
WOW...

Whether or not part of canon it's nice to see Prime and Megs again. Too
bad it's only two pages. When I first heard of this story I thought it
would several pages long.

**RANT MODE ON**
DAMNIT WE NEED ANOTHER TRANSFORMERS COMIC Written BY FURMAN!!
**RANT MODE OFF**

Interesting take on Prime. Kind of sad really with the great war having
ended (?) so recently. How can Cybertron already forget one of it's
greatest heroes? Whether or not Prime himself goes thru the 'Maximal'
process, I see him being a viable and active member of the Cybertronian
government.

Hrm... I wonder what gives as it seems this comic takes place....wait a
minute. At first glance it seems to take place after G2 before BW. But
Megs is in his G1 body...hrm...ok

**RANT MODE ON**
DAMNIT WE NEED ANOTHER TRANSFORMERS COMIC Written BY FURMAN!!
**RANT MODE OFF**

'nuf said...

Jose Negron
a.k.a. Rapido

Paul Cannon wrote:

> This story originally featured in the Transforce 2000 magazine, from the UK
> convention. The 2 page strip is written by Simon Furman and drawn by veteran
> UK Transformers artist Jeff Anderson. Also featuring a colour cover by UK
> Transformers artist Lee Sullivan and Sean Bastick.
>
> The last days of Optimus Prime is now online at www.transforce.co.uk

Hooks

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00

Andrew Crane <And...@cybertron.prestel.co.uk> wrote in message

That's Furman's perogative, but facing facts, Beast Wars takes place in the
cartoon universe. But I think I've posted my reasons enough times to show
that BW can in no way, shape, form, or fashion take place in the comic book
universe.

So nyah. ;)

(X)
Aren't Transformers about thinly-veiled attacks to boost one's ego?

Straight-Edge

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
>>Whether or not Prime himself goes thru the 'Maximal' process, I see him being
a viable and active member of the Cybertronian government.>>

I guess Simon put an end to that idea...

>>Hrm... I wonder what gives as it seems this comic takes place....wait a
minute. At first glance it seems to take place after G2 before BW. But Megs is
in his G1 body...hrm...ok>>

You did get the idea that he died, right? Or at least entered J'wnan, a
"heavenly" type of realm... Megatron in his old body is a spiritual, ethereal
approximation...

Rapido

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
> You did get the idea that he died, right? Or at least entered J'wnan, a
> "heavenly" type of realm... Megatron in his old body is a spiritual, ethereal
> approximation...

More or less. It did seem that Prime died or transcended to 'somewhere'.
But my thinking was that it was some form of abstraction to describe the
ying-yang relationship Prime and Megs seem to have.

If he really died and entered J'wnan then I wonder why or how he died
and what in the heck (or where) is J'wnan. It'd conveniently explain
Prime's apparent abscence from BW/BM.

Jose Negron
a.k.a. Rapido

Andrew Crane

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Straight-Edge <bespi...@aol.com> wrote in message

>> If you say so. I guess I just didn't see it.
> Neither did I. He just died. I mean, Igot how and why that was moving,
but
> to base the whole "featured attraction" of Transforce 2000 around it,
seemed
> overly hyped for not too much oomph.

Optimus didn't die - he entered J'nwan. :-) For those of you who didn't
know, Last Days links into 'Reaching the Omega Point' serial that Simon
Furman is writing for BotCon. J'nwan is a mysterious zone on Cybertron where
the "legendary" Autobots and Decepticons reside, which is on the site of the
final Autobot/Decepticon battle.

In chapter 3 of the 'Omega Point' story, Sandstorm (the Predacon scorpion)
enters J'nwan through intense mental and physical effort. He manages to
speak to "the Authority" (no doubt Optimus Prime) to ask assistance in the
war with Shokaract (a new incarnation of Unicron who has enslaved
Cybertron).
J'nwan isn't the same place as the Matrix seen in Beast Wars, and entrance
may not necessarily involve dying... We know that Prowl, Jazz, Bumblebee and
Megatron are in J'nwan, and the original script for 'Last Days' includes
Wheeljack, Gears and
Brawn(!) as well!

From a point of view from a comic fan, it was a satisfying read despite the
length: we learn that the Veteran is Swoop, and finally get closure for
Optimus Prime's life during the Beast Wars era. The scene with Megatron and
Optimus making peace after millions of years at war was priceless, really.
It's a real shame that the story couldn't have been animated. :-)

Straight-Edge

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
>>It did seem that Prime died or transcended to 'somewhere'. But my thinking
was that it was some form of abstraction to describe the ying-yang relationship
Prime and Megs seem to have.>>

At first thats all I thought it was. Then someone told me that was indeed the
*entire* comic. And seeing how the *title* was the Last Days of Optimus...
that would have to mean, wherever he went, he wont be coming back...

So his ascention to a relam /and an abstraction showing showing the light/dark
balance of Megs and Prime seem to be rolled up into the one story, his death.

Zobovor

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Straight-Edge wrote:

>You did get the idea that he died, right? Or at least entered J'wnan, a
>"heavenly" type of realm... Megatron in his old body is a spiritual,
>ethereal approximation...

But he spoke Predaconese. I got the impression that both Megatron and Optimus
Prime had downsized to Predacon and Maximal forms, respectively. They weren't
quite drawn exactly like their original bodies, either, and I don't think that
was just a matter of creative lisence. Check out Prime's abdominal muscles,
for example.

Steven Acevedo

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
On Tue, 30 May 2000 18:09:59 GMT, "Hooks" <hoo...@gte.net> wrote:

>> Simon Furman regards Beast Wars as taking place in his comic universe
>> (according to an interview in the Transforce 2000 magazine, he ignores
>Beast
>> Machines entirely). His own post-BW storyline is Reaching the Omega Point
>> (the BotCon stories).
>
>That's Furman's perogative, but facing facts, Beast Wars takes place in the
>cartoon universe. But I think I've posted my reasons enough times to show
>that BW can in no way, shape, form, or fashion take place in the comic book
>universe.

As far as I'm concerned the BW universe is an alternate universe to
me.

Steven Acevedo

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00

Nice story but too short.

Rapido

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Crap, then I think Prime's 'death' deserves more than an ad's worth of
pages. I really hope those rumored TF comics somehow, someway actually
get produced. Something, anything at this point. I'm feigning for some
good (ie written by Furman/part of canon, more or less) TF stories.

Jose Negron
a.k.a. Rapido

Straight-Edge

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
>>As far as I'm concerned the BW universe is an alternate universe to
me. >>

This just seems more like fact than your opinion. Portions of BW just dont fit
with the comic, and other parts dont fit with the cartoon. Without changing
G1, or adding to it, you cannot completey explain some portions of BW.. it
*has* to occur in a different continuity. Its *OWN* continuity, where many
cartoon events also happened, but the entire history is not the same.

Hell, even the writers said this.

Zobovor

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Staight-Edge wrote:

>Portions of BW just dont fit with the comic, and other parts dont fit with
>the cartoon. Without changing G1, or adding to it, you cannot
>completey explain some portions of BW.. it *has* to occur in a different
>continuity. Its *OWN* continuity, where many cartoon events also
>happened, but the entire history is not the same.

Hooks, it may be about time for that repost. :)

Straight-Edge

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Hooks, it may be about time for that repost. :)>>

does it agree, or disagree with my point?

Michael Payton

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
In article <8h0u9j$910$1...@phys-ma.sol.co.uk>, "Andrew Crane"
<And...@cybertron.prestel.co.uk> wrote:

> Hooks <hoo...@gte.net> wrote in message
> > Why? Because I enjoyed the two pages? 'Kay. Well, I wasn't absolutely
> > pleased with it. Two pages and that's it? *yawn* But it WAS a lot for
> > those two pages. Really.
> >
> > Shame it is out of canon, considering BW/BM takes place in CARTOON
> > continuity, with comic influences added in.
>

> Simon Furman regards Beast Wars as taking place in his comic universe
> (according to an interview in the Transforce 2000 magazine, he ignores Beast
> Machines entirely). His own post-BW storyline is Reaching the Omega Point
> (the BotCon stories).

Funny, I consider the continuity the same way he does. :-)

No Porn Please

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Wow...I never cared much for TF comics...They always featured far fetched ideas
(Ratbat...Decepticon leader) and in general cruddy artwork, BUT Mr. Furman has
created an idea I would love to see as being cannon....Bots and Cons not
dead...but at peace....in this Janwarwhatever place...A place that is apart of
Cybertron itself! YEHAW!

Michael Payton

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
In article <XtTY4.3411$js2.1...@dfiatx1-snr1.gtei.net>, "Hooks"
<hoo...@gte.net> wrote:

> That's Furman's perogative, but facing facts, Beast Wars takes place in the
> cartoon universe. But I think I've posted my reasons enough times to show
> that BW can in no way, shape, form, or fashion take place in the comic book
> universe.
>

> So nyah. ;)

Beast Wars is like Transformers: the Movie in that it exists in BOTH the
cartoon universe and the Furman-verse. And as 2 pages of Furman tops 13
hours of Skir, I'll gladly ignore the rancid turd that is the current
cartoon despite what Hasbro considers 'canon'. :-)

Michael Payton

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
In article <20000530150607...@ng-fg1.aol.com>,
bespi...@aol.com (Straight-Edge) wrote:

> You did get the idea that he died, right? Or at least entered J'wnan, a
> "heavenly" type of realm... Megatron in his old body is a spiritual, ethereal
> approximation...

Nope. Prime and those that went to J'nwan before him are all very much alive.

articulated in 9 points cable

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
>But he spoke Predaconese. I got the impression that both Megatron and
>Optimus
>Prime had downsized to Predacon and Maximal forms, respectively. They
>weren't
>quite drawn exactly like their original bodies, either, and I don't think
>that
>was just a matter of creative lisence. Check out Prime's abdominal muscles,
>for example.

I don't know if they'd be downsized. Not yet, anyway. In the start, he said
they call Swoop the Veteran, but what would they call someone like him? And "in
this time of Maximals and Predacons." I just kind of got the feeling he was
still an Autobot, still that size. He was just feeling like old-technology.

I don't think that he was dead, either. 'cause he said he wishes he could be
with old friends. I got the impression that they were dead, and he wishes he
could be with them.

Although, if you think that he's alive, the ending doesn't really make sense.

And on the last page (pardon me, PAGE TWO!! gr. heh) right before they shake,
is it just me, or is his left hand all messed up? If I remember right, he
doesn't have a left hand. it almost looks melted away. Maybe he and Megatron
were getting downsized then?

Maybe he wrote it abstract. So we could all have different interpretations of
it. Either way, we sure are getting a lot of discussion out of a two page
story.

__
Signature spoiler space!
"I don't rock 'n roll! I BURRRN!"
"You...no longer...exist!"
"Sarcasm, not appreciated."
http://members.aol.com/aeonprime/comedy.html
"I kill threads by replying to them."

Michael Payton

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
In article <20000530184352...@ng-ck1.aol.com>,

ica...@aol.compulsive (articulated in 9 points cable) wrote:

> I don't think that he was dead, either. 'cause he said he wishes he could be
> with old friends. I got the impression that they were dead, and he wishes he
> could be with them.
>
> Although, if you think that he's alive, the ending doesn't really make sense.

Simon commented on this issue at the convention I'm told. There is indeed
a differance between entering J'nwan and becoming one with the Matrix.
J'nwan is a Valhalla like plane of existance entered into while still
alive by a dimensional gate. (This would be the 'Silicon Valhalla' Dinobot
refered to in Beast Wars.) However, one joins the Matrix by simply dying.
He was very specific that they were seperate things. Whether or not they
can return from J'nwan to the mortal plane, however, is up to Simon
himself. (Or of course fanfic writers. ;-)

As far as I'm concerned this whole thing is HIS sandbox. Hasbro just comes
along once a year & breaks all the toys, and he creates new masterpieces
based on the carnage they leave behind. ;-)

Dw

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00

Do you know where I can fidn a coipy of reaching the omega point online?

--
Dw
The Man without a .Sig

Steven Acevedo

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
On 31 May 2000 02:27:27 GMT, zob...@aol.com (Zobovor) wrote:

>STARSCREAM: "Skir this, Skir that! All I ever heard about is how horrible
>Skir is!"
>
>MEGATRON: "Skir is the ideal scapegoat. He is both egotistical and
>disrespectful."
>
>STARSCREAM: "Skir has much to be disrespectful about! How can he respect a
>fan base who can't even agree on what is canon?"
>
>MEGATRON: "They'll never understand, Starscream. They lack the ability to see
>their own faults."

...Or their own obsessive fanaticsim.

Dinogrrl

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
As this charming muddle of canon interpretations shows - THERE IS NO
ONE CANON! Who cares if someone thinks it differently - you may not
disagree but there isn't really any absolute canon for everything or
even the separate parts. All the series and comics have
contradictions - so what? Let them lie - it makes for interesting new
fanfics from points of view which we would otherwise not think of if
there was only one canon.

So, what's my position? I don't care about following canon, although
I know the most about the comic continuity. But I don't care if
people see fit to change everything around - it's fun!

Dinogrrl :) This J'nwan place seems like a fun trigger for fics!

Rumble84

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00

Zobovor wrote:
Kil - Michael Kilborn McCarthy wrote:

>Why is it always "Skir this, Skir that, Skir, Skir, Skir!"?

STARSCREAM: "Skir this, Skir that! All I ever heard about is how horrible
Skir is!"

MEGATRON: "Skir is the ideal scapegoat. He is both egotistical and
disrespectful."

STARSCREAM: "Skir has much to be disrespectful about! How can he respect a
fan base who can't even agree on what is canon?"

MEGATRON: "They'll never understand, Starscream. They lack the ability to see
their own faults."

Zobovor...

--------------

LOL! "Starscream's Brigade" is one of my fav. G1 episodes. Of course, I only have
28, but out of those, it's definintley one of the best. How about this:

STARSCREAM: DiTillo?

MEGATRON: No Starscream, not DiTillo, Skir!

STARSCREAM: ARRAGGHHH!

MEGATRON: I banish you from enjoyable Transformers forever!!

"Hey, nobody calls Soundwave unchrasimatic!"
-Rumble TF:TM

DarkClaw

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
"Dw" <dwlo...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> Do you know where I can fidn a coipy of reaching the omega point online?

I believe www.botcon.com has the first few chapters of Omega. Check in the
Botcon '99 section. If you want the full story, though, you'll have to
obtain a copy of the BC99 program (in which the original story was
published) which you can order at the Botcon site as well.

"Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim
right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the
world..." --Spider Jerusalem, "Transmetropolitan"

Michael Payton

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
In article <20000530221626...@ng-cs1.aol.com>,
mki...@aol.commscout1 (Kil - Michael Kilborn McCarthy) wrote:

> Michael Payton (mpa...@netwalk.com) wrote...
> ::: And as 2 pages of Furman tops 13 hours of Skir ::::
>
> ...and Isenberg.

> Why is it always "Skir this, Skir that, Skir, Skir, Skir!"?

Because Marty pays us off every month to only blame Skir. What? Are you
saying you don't get your monthly bribes? Tsk. Tsk. You'd better go
e-mail him now. Me, I'm off to buy more Car Robots with my hush money.
wheeeeeeeee. :-)

Michael Payton

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
In article <P4_Y4.4427$js2.2...@dfiatx1-snr1.gtei.net>, "Hooks"
<hoo...@gte.net> wrote:

> [Deja, please don't lose that post. I posted it twice. It explains very,
> very clearly how BW cannot take place in comic continuity, but solely in
> cartoon continuity. It was a masterpiece. Don't fail me _again_!]

Yeah it's all nice & logical and everything... but Simon says Beast Wars
*DOES* fit into the comic universe. No offense man, but if anyone should
know, it'd be him.

He went to a lot of effort to blend his current work into both his
existing universe AND Beast Wars. Too much to dismiss it, no matter how
much sense you make. ;-)

Michael Payton

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
In article <8h1req$1m5s$1...@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>, "Dw"
<dwlo...@prodigy.net> wrote:

> Do you know where I can fidn a coipy of reaching the omega point online?

www.botcon.com

Roar

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
>Simon commented on this issue at the convention I'm told. There is indeed
>a differance between entering J'nwan and becoming one with the Matrix.
>J'nwan is a Valhalla like plane of existance entered into while still
>alive by a dimensional gate. (This would be the 'Silicon Valhalla' Dinobot
>refered to in Beast Wars.) However, one joins the Matrix by simply dying.
>He was very specific that they were seperate things. Whether or not they
>can return from J'nwan to the mortal plane, however, is up to Simon
>himself. (Or of course fanfic writers. ;-)

Damn, could they make the whole thing any more confusing?
Roar

Deadlift's Domain: http://www.geocities.com/deadliftx/index.html
LONAC Web: http://www.digitalfrost.com/lonac/index.htm
Read the FAQ!

Aaron F. Bourque

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Cable (ica...@aol.compulsive) howled at the mono:

>Maybe he wrote it abstract. So we could all have different
>interpretations of it. Either way, we sure are getting a lot of discussion
>out of a two page story.

Well, that's definitely ONE good thing about the story!

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque

--
Being grown up all the time is only a sign of immaturity.

Come on, people! Grow up! Act stupid!

Aaron F. Bourque

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Michael Payton (mpa...@netwalk.com) howled at the mono:

>As far as I'm concerned this whole thing is HIS sandbox. Hasbro just
>comes along once a year & breaks all the toys, and he creates new
>masterpieces based on the carnage they leave behind. ;-)

Ah yes. This is a true fan! ;)

Hooks

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00

Zobovor <zob...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Staight-Edge wrote:
>
> >Portions of BW just dont fit with the comic, and other parts dont fit
with
> >the cartoon. Without changing G1, or adding to it, you cannot
> >completey explain some portions of BW.. it *has* to occur in a different
> >continuity. Its *OWN* continuity, where many cartoon events also
> >happened, but the entire history is not the same.
>
> Hooks, it may be about time for that repost. :)

I'm looking, I'm looking! :)

[Deja, please don't lose that post. I posted it twice. It explains very,
very clearly how BW cannot take place in comic continuity, but solely in
cartoon continuity. It was a masterpiece. Don't fail me _again_!]

(X)
I'm so damn loved. *blam*

Kil - Michael Kilborn McCarthy

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Michael Payton (mpa...@netwalk.com) wrote...
:::: Beast Wars is like Transformers: the Movie in that it exists in BOTH
the cartoon universe and the Furman-verse. ::::

Never been clear on how the Movie could fit into the comic Universe. Of
course, I'm far from a comic expert, but aren't there are tons of
inconstancies, like the fact that Brawn was vaporized by Megatron in
1990's, so he wouldn't have been around to die via shoulder-implosion
in 2005.... or is the Movie in the comics some kinda parallel timeline
or some thing? All the time travel and alternate future stuff I've read
in summaries of the comics just gives me a headache....

Anyway, I suppose a version of Beast Wars could exist in comic Universe,
adapated to fit with it, like how some G2 comic stuff was apparently
adapated to fit into the cartoon Universe for the Beast Wars backstory.

::: And as 2 pages of Furman tops 13 hours of Skir ::::

...and Isenberg.

Why is it always "Skir this, Skir that, Skir, Skir, Skir!"?

-Kil
-------------
Michael Kilborn McCarthy
M Kil M...@aol.com
formerly Wazzp...@aol.com
The Kil File: http://hometown.aol.com/mkilmcc
"Sa souvraya niende misain ye. I am lost in my own mind."
-Mat Cauthon "The Shadow Rising" by Robert Jordan

Zobovor

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
[copied to Hooks via e-mail]

Hooks wrote:

>[Deja, please don't lose that post. I posted it twice. It explains very,
>very clearly how BW cannot take place in comic continuity, but solely
>in cartoon continuity. It was a masterpiece. Don't fail me _again_!]

Hey, I found it! You had e-mailed it to me. :)

<repost>
____________

Wazzpin8or <wazzp...@aol.com> wrote:

>I thought the "party line" on continuity was that BW was a part of the
>cartoon Universe, with elements of the comic (mostly G2 stuff) adapted
>to fit in as part of the backstory.

That's pretty much how I have seen it, citing evidence from both the writers
and the show. BW has shown it is consistent with the cartoon much more than it
has with the comic. Let us compare, shall we?
_____________________________

Cartoon References:

1) The Great War

In Beast Wars, "The Great War" takes a major role in the history of the
Maximals and Predacons, from the very first episode of the series. "The Great
War", of course, is the course of events that lead into the movie, where it
ends with many heroes dead and a new Autobot rule on Cybertron.

2) Shrapnel

Waspinator's dillusional rantings into "Shrapnel"-mode are done in the
cartoon-style. His mannerisms (repeating the last syllable in the sentence)
were not done in the comic books at any point, but rather in the cartoon.

3) Starscream and his "indestructible spark"

The references to Starscream in "Possession" and "Bad Spark" deal directly with
the events in TF:TM, Ghost in the Machine and Starscream's Ghost. The
circumstances regarding Starscream's death ("You were slagged by Galvatron,
AFTER you betrayed him!"; "My spark transcended time and space itself!"-- as
seen in an interview with Bob Forward on my site, we conclude that this took
place after Galvatron slagged him a second time in GOTM) all deal with cartoon
continuity. While in G1 it is assumed Starscream is turned into a ghost, in BW
times it has been explored the nature of Transformers, and the ghost has
actually been his spark.

Now, tell me again when in comics continuity when Starscream was slagged by
Galvatron and turned into a ghost? :) Hell, in the comics, Galvatron was hardly
*known*. He was an agent of Unicron, who rebelled against the chaos bringer in
issue #75. None of the Transformers knew who he was. As Scorponok stated, "I
know not who that brave warrior was, but his actions do us shame!" Galvatron
was not known by the general Cybertronian populace in the comics, while in the
'toon, he was the *leader*.

4) The Autobots/Decepticons crash on Earth

"The Ark" (which is a comic reference) is gold. "The Nemesis" (the retconned
name for the Decepticon shuttle) resembles the cartoon, in color and in some
ways, in shape. The way the Ark sticks out at the end of Nemesis is
reminiscent of the cartoon. The *crash* of the Nemesis shuttle occurs in the
cartoon (to be later found in "Microbots"), while in the comic, it either a)
remained hovered in space, or b) crashed into the sea and stayed there for 4
million years.

"The Ark" was launched exactly the same way as in the cartoon. Their mission
was not to destroy asteroids, as seen in the comic (though I dont recall if it
was explicitly stated in BW). Also, the 'Con shuttle was piloted by Shockwave
in the comics. In the cartoon, 'twas not so. Dirge, Ramjet, and Thrust were
originally stated to pilot the Nemesis shuttle, but that was taken out.

5) Megatron, leader of the Decepticons

His helmet is white. His voice and mannerisms in "The Agenda 2" are just like
the cartoon. The circumstances regarding his plans for the past Autobots are
due to circumstances in the 'toon, as is his ability to go into space (via
Astrotrain) in the cartoon. In the comic, Megatron neither had the time, the
power, nor the means to achieve such an ambitious effort. Shockwave was the
leader of the 'Cons more often that Megatron. Megatron only went into space
when he was blown to Cybertron via the Space Bridge. Lots of Megatron's time
was preoccupied by his various obsessions in the comic.

Also, Megatron's army and influence is seen as legendary in the cartoon. As
Ravage states in Agenda Part 2, "You have Megatron's name, but *not* his army."
In the books, he can be seen as "just another 'Con leader."

6) "The Matrix"

"Optimal Situation" shows Optimus with a spark holder which takes the place of
the Matrix of Leadership that remaining on Cybertron during the Autobots'
suicide run. In the comics, Optimus had the Matrix for 4 million years (he
even said it in issue #67). In the cartoon, he didn't have it on Earth. The
intention of the BW writers was for Prime to have JUST his spark. The script
states the object as *just* Prime's spark (in both Optimal Situation *and*
Master Blaster). If not for the *similar* appearance of the Matrix (but not
the exact look; it splits open differently, and it doesnt have a crystal inside
it), there wouldnt be a million posts regarding it.

7) "What in the name of my great Aunt Arcee is going on here?"

When did you ever see Arcee (or ANY femme-bot) in the comic books? (Im not
counting the Brit books) The cartoon had many female Transformers, while the
comics had... none.

8) Joining the Matrix after death

It was never explored in the comics regarding the deaths of Transformers. In
the cartoon, it was explained several times, including the phrase "I will
become one with the Matrix." While it was assumed in G1 times they meant the
Leadership Matrix (which is now known to simply be the gateway to the Matrix
dimenstion), it is now known that they join the Matrix dimension. I don't
recall anyone ever saying they're going to join the Matrix in the books.

Comic Book References:

1) Shell re-programming.

Bombshell anyone? :) However, this can easily be added into cartoon continuity.

2) Primus

The big-daddy of all big-daddies, the lord of the Transformers himself, Primus.
Problem is, his reason for being is never explicitly stated in BW. He is seen
as just a deity, which can easily be believed in (like our own Jesus Christ) or
not believed in. Sure, not everyone likes the Quintesson origins, but Primus
is *hardly* explored enough in BW to be seen as little more than a myth.

3) Ravage

His ability to speak very elaboratly is taken from the comics. However, in the
cartoon, he was also able to speak very briefly. It is also stated that he was
"reprogrammed and rebuilt-- AS A PREDACON!" His re-construction can easily fit
into the cartoon continuity.

4) Tarantulas, the Tripredacus Council, and their other origins

It is known that they are the descendants of the G2 Decepticons, and that the
events of G2 did happen in the back story of BW. However, with the exception
of certain characters and events, G2 can retroactively fit into cartoon
continuity in order to satisfy the needs for the story. The only thing that
needs to be known about the G2 backstory is that the Decepticons spawned off
another race that abandoned Cybertron, the disgruntled forces of the Autobots
and Decepticons joined forces to stop them, the Swarm was created and decimated
most of the Autobot/Decepticon army, Prime opened and destroyed the Matrix in
order to stop the Swarm. (in BW history, the Matrix of Leadership is ultimately
destroyed prior to the creation of the Max/Pred factions)
_________________

In sheer number alone, it stands to reason that BW takes place in cartoon
continuity with comic influences. It wouldn't be too far of a stress to place
G2 as well as the other very few comic references, into cartoon continuity. It
would be much more of a stress to place the cartoon events which are seen *as
canon* in BW into the comic continuity.

(X)
--Betting on a reply that states "The cartoon contradicted itself!" So do the
comics. And BW. And the toy tech spaces. And just about any other brand of
fiction known to man. It is the main events seen as canon that are
non-contradictory that I am addressing, and *not* the Many Origins of the
Constructicons [tm].
__________________

Eight strong references that cannot be refuted versus four very weak references
that can easily be added into the 'toon continuity. Gee, which one do you think
wins out?

I honestly think that people want it to take place in the comic continuity for
the simple reason that it was more mature. Sadly, this isn't the case, and I
think people need to let go of a few weak references and look at the facts head
on. Which were stated above. :)

(X)

</repost>

Zobovor, who won't bring up again the bit about Meggie's voice being just like
it was in the cartoon (as opposed to what? <g>). That said, the evidence seems
irrefutable to me...

Zobovor

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Kil - Michael Kilborn McCarthy wrote:

>Why is it always "Skir this, Skir that, Skir, Skir, Skir!"?

STARSCREAM: "Skir this, Skir that! All I ever heard about is how horrible

Zobovor

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Kil - Michael Kilborn McCarthy wrote:

>>Wazzpin8or <wazzp...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>*blink* Hey, that's me! How long ago was this?

May 1999.

>>If not for the *similar* appearance of the Matrix (but not the exact
>>look; it splits open differently, and it doesnt have a crystal inside
>>it), there wouldnt be a million posts regarding it.
>

>Has Rhinox's saying that Prime's Spark "has the Matrix with it"
>ever been explained?

I seem to recall Ben Yee mentioning something about it. Apparently it's a
reference to the fact that Optimus Prime's spark was on its way to join the
Matrix, not so much the fact that he carries the Autobot Matrix of Leadership,
if I'm remembering it right.

Kil - Michael Kilborn McCarthy

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Zobovor (zob...@aol.com) wrote...
:::: Hooks wrote:

>[Deja, please don't lose that post. I posted it twice. It explains very,
>very clearly how BW cannot take place in comic continuity, but solely
>in cartoon continuity. It was a masterpiece. Don't fail me _again_!]

Hey, I found it! You had e-mailed it to me. :)

<repost>
____________

Wazzpin8or <wazzp...@aol.com> wrote: ::::

*blink* Hey, that's me! How long ago was this?

:::: If not for the *similar* appearance of the Matrix (but not the exact

look; it splits open differently, and it doesnt have a crystal inside

it), there wouldnt be a million posts regarding it. ::::

Has Rhinox's saying that Prime's Spark "has the Matrix with it"
ever been explained?

Prior to "Master Blaster", I ignored the "animation screw up"
explanation, as I found the idea that a Spark could have such radical
body altering/improving effects to be so abusrd, I didn't want it as part
of the canon. Of course, I _still_ think it's ridiculous, but MB did
make it official.

Kil - Michael Kilborn McCarthy

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Zobovor (zob...@aol.com) wrote...
:::: Kil - Michael Kilborn McCarthy wrote:

>>Wazzpin8or <wazzp...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>*blink* Hey, that's me! How long ago was this?

May 1999. ::::

One of the last posts from me before I went away then...

You know, I always hated seeing "Wazzpin8or" listed as my "name"
like that... I mean, I _always_ signed my posts "-Kil", and never
"-Wazzpin8or".

:::: >Has Rhinox's saying that Prime's Spark "has the Matrix with it"
>ever been explained?

I seem to recall Ben Yee mentioning something about it. Apparently it's

a reference to the fact that Optimus Prime's spark was on its way to join

the Matrix, ::::

*laugh*

"His Spark's too powerful!"
-Rhinox

So, an about-to-extinguish, _dying_ Spark is _more_ powerful?

O....... K............

-Kil
"That does not make sense!"
-"Johnny Cochrane", South Park

Duo Maxwell

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00

Ya hit the nail on the head.
Have a cookie as a salute to seeing what should be pretty obvious to the
rest of us.

ma...@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
In article <mpayton-3005...@tcs6-68.wblt.netwalk.net>,

mpa...@netwalk.com (Michael Payton) writes:
>In article <8h0u9j$910$1...@phys-ma.sol.co.uk>, "Andrew Crane"
><And...@cybertron.prestel.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Simon Furman regards Beast Wars as taking place in his comic universe
>> (according to an interview in the Transforce 2000 magazine, he ignores Beast
>> Machines entirely). His own post-BW storyline is Reaching the Omega Point
>> (the BotCon stories).
>
>Funny, I consider the continuity the same way he does. :-)

Although it is fanfic rather than Furman, a summary of the whole TF saga
based on the US and UK comics, the Movie, Beast Wars and Furman's recent work
(but ignoring the cartoon series and Beast Machines) was included in the
Transforce magazine alongside "The Last Days of Optimus Prime". It leaves a
few controversial points vague - namely, whether the UK comic's Earthforce
stories should be squeezed into 1990 before the Unicron war or in 1992
between G1 and G2, and whether or not the Movie and post-Movie UK comics
still happen after the events of the G2 comic, or occur in some parallel
timeline (depending on your interpretation of post-"Time Wars" UK stories).
It does not include fanfic concepts, and if you don't recognise events or
character names (such as Trannis) that's 'cos you haven't read all the comics.

It's written as a collaberation between Paul Wright, James Roberts and
myself. You can read it as a Word 97 document at
http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~marei/tmuk/robotwar.doc if you're interested.

I also had a text story based on "Prime Time" (TF US #12) printed in the
magazine, which can be read at
http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~marei/tmuk/transforce.doc .

Other stories in the magazine included a new 2-page Combat Colin story by Lew
Stringer (on the Transforce web site), Matt & the Cat by Mike Kazybrid (fans
of the early UK comics will remember him) and a 5-page Beast Wars Neo spoof
strip by Matt Dallas, plus interviews with all the celebrity contributors.

Martin

'All your ills will be gone by dawn tomorrow when Robin Hood will be hung,
drawn, quartered, clubbed, struck, lifted, lowered, hurled, stretched,
drowned, dragged, drugged, bashed, bonked, thudded, tweaked, walloped, and
then... splugged on a gillikin spike.'

Paul Cannon

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Well, it's been interesting reading everyone's response to my original
thread. I appreciate everyones opinions, and positive comments on the story.

It is unfortunate that 'The last days of Optimus Prime' is only two pages
long, but that is purely down to the fact that Transforce is not profit
making, and Transformers artwork by Transformers artists is not cheap! I did
what I could afford at the time.

I've really tested the water here with what I want to do in the future. I
fully intend to use all of the resources I've aquired through my work on
Transforce 2000, and there will be bigger and better things for Transforce
2001.

At the end of the day Transforce 2000 was about a convention in London, not
about a two page comic strip. Those who went to Transforce will know how the
whole thing fitted together And hey, you've all got a new Simon Furman story
for free, sounds good to me!

There is more background to the story, but it's in the Transforce 2000
magazine, and that remains one UK exclusive that only the attendees of my
show will be party to.

Cheers,
Paul Cannon (Transforce 2000 organiser)

opt...@primus.prestel.co.uk
http://www.transforce.co.uk

Paul Cannon

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
> That's Furman's perogative, but facing facts, Beast Wars takes place in
the
> cartoon universe. But I think I've posted my reasons enough times to show
> that BW can in no way, shape, form, or fashion take place in the comic
book
> universe.

I'm afraid that Larry, Bob and Simon would disagree very strongly with that.

Paul Cannon

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
I got the impression that both Megatron and Optimus
> Prime had downsized to Predacon and Maximal forms, respectively. They
weren't
> quite drawn exactly like their original bodies, either, and I don't think
that

> was just a matter of creative lisence. Check out Prime's abdominal
muscles,
> for example.

Simon suggested to me that he worked with Jeff Anderson to redesign Optimus
Prime for the story. As this story is set a LONG time after Primes last
appearance, it made sense that he had evolved further. Neither Megatron or
Prime have downsized to Maximal/Predacon size though, they are both original
size.

Hooks

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00

Paul Cannon <ne...@primus.prestel.co.uk> wrote in message

I'm afraid you'd be surprised at what Bob and Larry would think.

(X)

Straight-Edge

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
I'm afraid you'd be surprised at what Bob and Larry would think.>>

Then please enlighten us.
Straight-Edge (Trademarked by Lanard Toys, damn them)

Pyre[Rock]

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Kil - Michael Kilborn McCarthy wrote:

> "His Spark's too powerful!"
> -Rhinox
>
> So, an about-to-extinguish, _dying_ Spark is _more_ powerful?

I think the point was that Maximal and Predacon sparks aren't designed to
hold two sparks in one body and I'd bet heavily that if it weren't for the
transmetalization and alien influence over both Primal's and Megatron's
bodies then they would have probably died from the experience.

--
Pyre[Rock] - the...@rica.net
http://home.rica.net/dcarson/therock/

Pyre[Rock]

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Zobovor wrote:

> Kil - Michael Kilborn McCarthy wrote:
>
> >Why is it always "Skir this, Skir that, Skir, Skir, Skir!"?
>
> STARSCREAM: "Skir this, Skir that! All I ever heard about is how horrible
> Skir is!"
>
> MEGATRON: "Skir is the ideal scapegoat. He is both egotistical and
> disrespectful."
>
> STARSCREAM: "Skir has much to be disrespectful about! How can he respect a
> fan base who can't even agree on what is canon?"
>
> MEGATRON: "They'll never understand, Starscream. They lack the ability to see
> their own faults."
>
> Zobovor...

*chuckle*

Kil - Michael Kilborn McCarthy

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Pyre [Rock] (the...@rica.net) wrote...
:::: I think the point was that Maximal and Predacon sparks aren't
designed to hold two sparks in one body and I'd bet heavily that if it
weren't for the transmetalization and alien influence over both Primal's
and Megatron's bodies then they would have probably died from the
experience. :::::

Non-Transmetal, non-alien influenced Waspinator did just fine with two
Sparks in his body in "Possession".

BlackArachnia surrived the experience as well. Although it has been
suggested that she didn't have Tarantulas's Spark, just his "mind" or
something - but I don't buy that. Upon returning to his own body, 'Ranty
says "my Spark is restored" which, IMO, means restored to his own
body.

-Kil

Pyre[Rock]

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Kil - Michael Kilborn McCarthy wrote:

> Non-Transmetal, non-alien influenced Waspinator did just fine with two
> Sparks in his body in "Possession".

Waspinator/Starscream is a special case. We know that Starscream's spark
has mutant qualities and aparently this includes the ability to take over
a host body without altering it's apearence. Besides, it's entirely
possible that Starscream's spark did have SOME influence. Check out how
Waspy can get slagged all the time and still function. And had he gotten
transmetalized then he would have picked up that obviously
Screamer-inspired jet mode.

> BlackArachnia surrived the experience as well. Although it has been
> suggested that she didn't have Tarantulas's Spark, just his "mind" or
> something - but I don't buy that. Upon returning to his own body, 'Ranty
> says "my Spark is restored" which, IMO, means restored to his own
> body.

This I really don't know how to explain. Anyone else want to take a stab
at it?

ShadowWing

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
While the Ark became it's official name somewhere along the line (and
I'm still sure it was called that in FFoD-I just can't stop thinking that) I
really didn't like comic references in the BW cartoon. I also didn't like
the Movie's events also being part of the comic. So that's the only real
fault I have with Furman, Forward, and DiTillo. IMO they are and should be
considered seperate continuites.

So I'm kind of glad we never got to the Swarm reference in BW. I didn't
even know there was a Generation 2 comic until a few years after it had
finished. And I never read any of the "Swarm" issues, so I still don't
really know what it's all about. But the few issues I've read (and I'll
probably hunt more-on and offline) are not IMO the same Transformers from
the G1 comic. (The characters are, but the comic itself isn't.) It's just
too dark for my tastes. Say what you will about Budiansky and
pre/post-Bobby, but at least those stories were fun. Even the Furman ones
I've seen are good reads. But the G2 comics were just so dark, and the
artwork didn't help. I like my stories to be fun, even the darker ones. I
didn't see the same atmosphere as G1, which is why I personally prefer it
over G2.
| HEROIC AUTOBOT ^ ^ {ShadowWing} |
| AMONG MAXIMALS |()| { transfan} |
| [CYBERTRON] \/ Ż||Ż||Ż||ŻŻ |
|ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Ż Ż ŻŻŻŻŻŻ|
|Function: /\ /\ str: 7.0|
|Guardian / \ ()/ \ int: 8.5|
|Motto:"One's true / /\ o[]o/\ \ spd: 9.0|
|form lies within." / ——o—[]—o—— \ end: 7.0|
|Survivor of every / / / 00 \ \ \rnk: 6.0|
|Transformer war. 00 cor:10.0|
|More information on line ^^ fire:5.4|
|Visit THE TRANSFORMATION ZONE skl: 9.2|
|http://pages.cthome.net/ShadowWing |
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Prime Saber

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Paul Cannon wrote:

> This story originally featured in the Transforce 2000 magazine, from the UK
> convention. The 2 page strip is written by Simon Furman and drawn by veteran
> UK Transformers artist Jeff Anderson. Also featuring a colour cover by UK
> Transformers artist Lee Sullivan and Sean Bastick.
>
> The last days of Optimus Prime is now online at www.transforce.co.uk

Neat!

I personally prefer the two pages' art over the cover's.
Megatron just looks _too_ humanoid on the cover page. :}

I love the continued use of the left-hand quote marks from the
G2 comics. ^_^

On page 1, Optimus has two arm-mounted spires/weapons on his
left arm. They don't look large enough at all to be his
Powermaster cannons. They are much more like Star Convoy's
little ones. :)

Also on page 1, Cybertron is more Earth-like with trees in the
background.

Page 2 has this later Optimus Prime's back, which hints at the God Ginrai
influence with its tri-partite structure, a window-like thing in the
central upraised part, and a lower black torso section. Was all that
an intentional or accidental homage? :) The cannons from page 1 disappear,
replaced by curved counterparts to his smokestacks.

Cool cameos by the original Bumblebee, Jazz, Grimlock, Prowl, Unicron,
and Shockwave. ^_^

Tony Li, the Prime Saber

Overlord of Japanese TFs from Headmasters through Car Robots at
http://www.primesaber.com

Duo Maxwell

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
> > > That's Furman's perogative, but facing facts, Beast Wars takes place
in
> > the
> > > cartoon universe. But I think I've posted my reasons enough times to
> show
> > > that BW can in no way, shape, form, or fashion take place in the comic
> > book
> > > universe.
> >
> > I'm afraid that Larry, Bob and Simon would disagree very strongly with
> that.
>
> I'm afraid you'd be surprised at what Bob and Larry would think.

Does it even MATTER what continuity it is in?
We have at least 5 as is......
US Cartoon, US Comic, Japanese Cartoon, Japanese Comic, UK Only comics....

Steven Acevedo

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
On Wed, 31 May 2000 16:51:23 -0400, "ShadowWing"
<the...@SPAMBLOCKADEsnet.net> wrote:

>While the Ark became it's official name somewhere along the line (and
>I'm still sure it was called that in FFoD-I just can't stop thinking that) I
>really didn't like comic references in the BW cartoon. I also didn't like
>the Movie's events also being part of the comic. So that's the only real
>fault I have with Furman, Forward, and DiTillo. IMO they are and should be
>considered seperate continuites.

Agreed.

> So I'm kind of glad we never got to the Swarm reference in BW. I didn't
>even know there was a Generation 2 comic until a few years after it had
>finished. And I never read any of the "Swarm" issues, so I still don't
>really know what it's all about. But the few issues I've read (and I'll
>probably hunt more-on and offline) are not IMO the same Transformers from
>the G1 comic. (The characters are, but the comic itself isn't.) It's just
>too dark for my tastes.

Larry sort of hinted The Vok were somehow related to The Swarm that
mutated somehow or other.

>Say what you will about Budiansky and pre/post-Bobby, but at least those stories were fun. Even the Furman ones I've seen are good reads. But the G2 comics were just so dark, and the
>artwork didn't help. I like my stories to be fun, even the darker ones. I
>didn't see the same atmosphere as G1, which is why I personally prefer it
>over G2.

Agreed here as well. The G1 comics were silly and corny just the way I
like my comics to be. I like dark stories too but it just shouldn't
have put in the Transformers comics.

The Doc.

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00

Paul Cannon wrote:

> > That's Furman's perogative, but facing facts, Beast Wars takes place in
> the
> > cartoon universe. But I think I've posted my reasons enough times to show
> > that BW can in no way, shape, form, or fashion take place in the comic
> book
> > universe.
>
> I'm afraid that Larry, Bob and Simon would disagree very strongly with that.

Oh REALLY? You've asked them this yourself, I presume.

No Porn Please

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Hey Paul...Next time your looking for a TF comic artist then just give me a
try. I'm so frustrated with TF art that hell I'd do it for free. TF art since
G2 can be summed up in one word, crap. Now dont get me wrong...I'm not blowing
my own horn, nor am I stating that I'm a great artist, BUT one thing is
certain...What little I've done is easily better than alotta stuff that has
surfaced in recent years :\

At least check out Greg Gaubs page and find some decent artists!! :)

Hooks

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00

> I'm afraid you'd be surprised at what Bob and Larry would think.>>
>
> Then please enlighten us.

Go read "[BW] Beast Wars _is_ in cartoon continuity," then.

(X)
The bird and the plane have crashed. The Superman is dead.

Eddie X-Tomb

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Duo Maxwell wrote:

> Does it even MATTER what continuity it is in?
> We have at least 5 as is......
> US Cartoon, US Comic, Japanese Cartoon, Japanese Comic, UK Only comics....

What's up with the japanese cartoon continuity? I've heard there are
serious contradictions, like cybertron getting blown up then megically
not being blown up. Is there one japanese cartoon continuity, or is each
show a different one, or is it one and they're just lazy? Sometimes,
japanese continuties get a little confusing, like with Macross. I've
hear about ten different explanations, each one claiming to be
authoritative, about how Macross, Macross:DYRL, Macross II, Macross
Plus, and Macross 7 all fit together(or don't).

-Eddie

Straight-Edge

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
>>What's up with the japanese cartoon continuity? I've heard there are
serious contradictions, like cybertron getting blown up then megically
not being blown up. Is there one japanese cartoon continuity, or is each
show a different one, or is it one and they're just lazy??>>

They all fit together quite cohesively.
Headmasters fits very well right after Return of Optimus Prime, and effectively
ends the two years of post Movie characters. Masterforce and Victory seem to
take place mostly on Earth, or in space... meaning Cybertron is still out of
the picture. But remember, while all these new characters are fighting a war,
all the old characters are still alive, and just not shown. They could be
repairing Cybertron. Also, a lot of time passes between Headmasters and
Masterforce. Victory fits together by inclusion of God Ginrai, and Autobots
like Wheeljack making appearences. Victory is linked to Zone by Victory Leo,
and inclusion o the Destron Generals.
Zone and BattleStars, seem to have some of their own continuity (the Zodiac
energy), and occur long enough after Headmasters to explain a rebuilt
Cybertron.

It all fits, just that these were very action-based series, and some pretty
messed up stuff did happen.

Orebinder

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
"Pyre[Rock]" <the...@rica.net> wrote:
>Kil - Michael Kilborn McCarthy wrote:
>> BlackArachnia surrived the experience as well. Although it has been
>> suggested that she didn't have Tarantulas's Spark, just his "mind" or
>> something - but I don't buy that. Upon returning to his own body, 'Ranty
>> says "my Spark is restored" which, IMO, means restored to his own
>> body.
>
>This I really don't know how to explain. Anyone else want to take a stab
>at it?

Well, "restored" simply means that it works like it did before. Since the
process in big T 's lab not only transfered whatever part of him BA hosted
but also repaired him from near fatal damage, maybe that's what he meant. I
also consider a BW TF to be a melding of the various influences from
personality components, Spark and Datatracks, none working quite well if
any of the others are "disabled".

Orebinder -- Who's news-server seem to leak posts like a seive.

Prime Saber

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Straight-Edge wrote:

> >>What's up with the japanese cartoon continuity? I've heard there are
> serious contradictions, like cybertron getting blown up then megically
> not being blown up. Is there one japanese cartoon continuity, or is each
> show a different one, or is it one and they're just lazy??>>
>
> They all fit together quite cohesively.
> Headmasters fits very well right after Return of Optimus Prime, and
> effectively ends the two years of post Movie characters.

Correct. All of the TFs shown just went off Earth into space at the
end of Headmasters.

> Also, a lot of time passes between Headmasters and Masterforce.

Apparently long enough for no human to mistakenly think
Ginrai was Optimus! :)

There was a clip of Chromedome from one of the Headmasters' commercial
enders when the three Cybertron Headmaster Juniors were introduced
to the Headmasters concept by (Metal)hawk.

> Victory fits together by inclusion of God Ginrai, and Autobots
> like Wheeljack making appearences.

It's more than that. There was a flashback of the Masterforce Cybertrons
led by God Ginrai and Destrons led by Overlord when the Victory Cybertrons
visited Planet Micro. Minerva from Masterforce joined Perceptor (who's
only called "Sensei" by the others, by the way) and Wheeljack.

Headmasters had Mars blown up by Megazarak (Scorponok) to try to destroy
Fortress Maximus, but in Victory episode #21 Greatshot passed by an
intact Mars while on his trip to Earth. :} Maybe Mars coalesced back
together??

> Victory is linked to Zone by Victory Leo,
> and inclusion o the Destron Generals.

Zone is like a direct sequel. Many Victory characters, Victory Saber,
Galaxy Shuttle, and the four Micromaster Rescue patrol guys, showed up.
Masterforce ties in with its Overlord, Black Zarak, and King Poseidon
(Piranacon), and the Destron combiners and giants come from even earlier
series.

> Zone and BattleStars, seem to have some of their own continuity (the Zodiac
> energy), and occur long enough after Headmasters to explain a rebuilt
> Cybertron.

I wonder if the Micromaster Hot Rod has anything to do with the stories. :)
If he does, how does this follow from his departure in Headmasters with
the Matrix with him, if at all?

The Doc.

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00

> > > I'm afraid that Larry, Bob and Simon would disagree very strongly with
> that.
> >
> > Oh REALLY? You've asked them this yourself, I presume.
>

> He's definately asked Simon Furman himself. He did an interview with him for
> the Transforce 2000 magazine.

Well then, I stand corrected.

Please forgive the skepticism. Its easy for anyone to say stuff like this on
usenet

Straight-Edge

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
>>Please forgive the skepticism. Its easy for anyone to say stuff like this on
usenet>>

If there's one thing you can trust, its that Hooks doesn't BS when it comes to
this stuff. Now you know... ;)