Insecticon hatches- what's the deal?

S. Moriarity

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96

All of the Insecticons had these weird transparent yellow hatches on
them. What were they for? You couldn't really put their weapons inside,
as the compartment was too small. Are these cockpits for human operators
or something?

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96
In article <Pine.A32.3.91j.960207...@homer22.u.washington.edu>,

Take a close look at the other first and second year Transformers. All
the dinbots have cockpits, Ultra Magnus' chest shield has a pilot's seat,
the canopy on the seeker jets opens and most of the Autobots have
accessible passenger compartments. Originally part of the Diaclone model
line, all these toys were originally meant to represent human-piloted
mecha. Why anybody'd want to fly a giant grasshopper around is anybody's
guess though. :)

KKC, notes the Trainbots were Diaclone toys withheld until the
Headmasters series and wonders if THESE guys have pilot's seats...
--
"What if they went NOwhere?" / Kendrick Kerwin Chua / WTB: Transformers toys!
"Then, this'll be your big chance to get away from it all." / kend...@io.com

Lord God Mike aka Mike the Inconsiderate

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
Hmmmm... I've never seen the Thunderwing toy. Does anyone have a site on
the net with a picture of him? I'm really curious as to just what this
compulsive decepticon leader looks like as a toy. Thanks!

Homer

Robert Edward Powers

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
Lord God Mike aka Mike the Inconsiderate (m...@minerva.cis.yale.edu) wrote:
: Hmmmm... I've never seen the Thunderwing toy.

Thunderwing!! Yay! One of my favorite 'cons, right up there with
Bludgeon and Shockwave.

Sorry, don't have a picture of him; in fact all I have of him is the
shell. I've never even SEEN the inner robot, in the comics or otherwise.
The shell transforms to a clunky-looking tech jet. It'd be pretty cool, if
1) something besides the arms moved, and 2) the head wasn't hollow and set
way too far forwards on his shoulders... oh yeah, and 3), the jet wasn't
so fat lookin'. One day I may try cutting through the plastic piece that
holds his legs together, so he'll at least be able to take a step...

While comparing this toy to the comics, I noticed something: Geoff Senior
and Andy Wildman both left off the "backpack" of T-wings's shell (all the
jet components hanging off of his back), but Jose Delbo included it. I
guess it just didn't fit into Senior's style -- can you see Thunderwing
beating up on Grimlock with that thing on his back? Yeah, me neither.
--
Robert Powers of the Ever-Changing .sig
repo...@artsci.wustl.edu_ __\ /__ ______________________

Dan Campbell

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
Anybody else _not_ notice this :)

Dan Campbell

Rodney Lambson

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
be...@expert.cc.purdue.edu (Brian Ruh) wrote:

>Actually, I discovered that the fold-down cab on Optimus Prime was a great
>place to store his fists when I transformed him. Anybody else notice
>this?

yeah, i noticed it about 10 years ago when i had prime. put the fists in the
cab and throw the gun in the trailer (or fists AND gun in the trailer). i do
the same for the cab to ultra magnus. then there's the matter of his large
head, fists, and gun. i kinda wish that magnus was made so that you could take
off his fists if you wanted, but they could also retract inside his forearm.
i'm also thinking about removing the turret from rodimus' trailer to give him
some cargo space.

Bludgeon

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
be...@expert.cc.purdue.edu (Brian Ruh) wrote:
>Actually, I discovered that the fold-down cab on Optimus Prime was a great
>place to store his fists when I transformed him. Anybody else notice
>this?
Yeah, i noticed. But I think his fists were supposed to go next to the
thing that launches roller in the trailer. Was this in the instructions?
I don't know -- I don't have the instructions.

Raksha

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
S. Moriarity <span...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>All of the Insecticons had these weird transparent yellow hatches on
>them. What were they for? You couldn't really put their weapons inside,
>as the compartment was too small. Are these cockpits for human operators
>or something?

Probably, in the original line. But I used to use them to store beads.....

--Raksha

Raksha

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
In article <4fbidq$h...@bermuda.io.com>,

Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kend...@io.com> wrote:
>KKC, notes the Trainbots were Diaclone toys withheld until the
>Headmasters series and wonders if THESE guys have pilot's seats...

They don't. They'd almost be too small for this, in any case.

--Raksha

Dave Van Domelen

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
In article <4fg3ic$l...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
Raksha <jk...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>In article <Pine.A32.3.91j.960207...@homer22.u.washington.ed

>S. Moriarity <span...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>>All of the Insecticons had these weird transparent yellow hatches on
>>them. What were they for? You couldn't really put their weapons inside,
>>as the compartment was too small. Are these cockpits for human operators
>>or something?
>Probably, in the original line. But I used to use them to store beads.....

Same as the hatches in the Dinobots. All the Diaclone toys were vehicles
that carried human or alien invader (Waldalos, I believe) pilots. The insects
and dinos were part of the new improved second year's line.
Dave Van Domelen, see the BotCon 94 book for more....

Brian Ruh

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
In article <4fbk9h$1...@cmcl2.NYU.EDU>,
Benson Gregory Yee <ye...@is.nyu.edu> wrote:

>S. Moriarity (span...@u.washington.edu) wrote:
>
>: All of the Insecticons had these weird transparent yellow hatches on
>: them. What were they for? You couldn't really put their weapons inside,
>: as the compartment was too small. Are these cockpits for human operators
>
> Most of the original TF molds were based on the Diakron/Diaclone
>toys which came with small driver partners (look at the old Prime and
>Autobot cars, jets etc., note how they can all fit a figure inside them
>somewhere). The same principle held over to the Insecticons.
>Ben
>ye...@is2.nyu.edu

Actually, I discovered that the fold-down cab on Optimus Prime was a great
place to store his fists when I transformed him. Anybody else notice
this?

Peace & Energon,
Brian

Benjamin P. Harris

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
In article <4fbk9h$1...@cmcl2.NYU.EDU>, ye...@is.nyu.edu (Benson Gregory
Yee) wrote:

> S. Moriarity (span...@u.washington.edu) wrote:
>
> : All of the Insecticons had these weird transparent yellow hatches on
> : them. What were they for? You couldn't really put their weapons inside,
> : as the compartment was too small. Are these cockpits for human operators

> : or something?

> Most of the original TF molds were based on the Diakron/Diaclone
> toys which came with small driver partners (look at the old Prime and
> Autobot cars, jets etc., note how they can all fit a figure inside them
> somewhere). The same principle held over to the Insecticons.
>
> Ben
> ye...@is2.nyu.edu

Hmm. I only really noticed a compartment on the Dinobots. Maybe I
should re-examine my old G1's.

Iggy Drougge

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
Brian Ruh (be...@expert.cc.purdue.edu) wrote:

: Actually, I discovered that the fold-down cab on Optimus Prime was a great

: place to store his fists when I transformed him. Anybody else notice
: this?

Yes. Me too.

--
=-+X+-=-+X+-=-+X+-=-+X+-=-+X+-=-+X+-=->X<-=-+X+-=-+X+-=-+X+-=-+X+-=-+X+-=-+X+-
// Mail: opt...@canit.se Y Transformer collector| //

KARBUNKLE1

Feb 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/11/96
jk...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Raksha) writes:

>Probably, in the original line. But I used to use them to store
beads.....

I put green marbles in the Decepticons's chests, and Blue in the Dinobots
and Autobots's.

"I want the toilet seat!"-Two Stupid Dogs

Zobovor001

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
Of course the real reason the cockpit opened was to fit the old Diaclone
figure in him. Did anyone see Horifumi Omichi's special little Matrix
casing which fit inside the Prime figure? Ain't it kewl?
Dave Edwards, aka Zobov...@aol.com

..Send away for CHILDREN OF CYBERTRON! It's an action-packed comic
featuring old and new TFG2 characters, and it's only $2.00 plus a
two-stamp SASE! Order from:
Liane Elliot---6202 34th St NW---Gig Harbor,
WA---98335-7205

matthew high

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
H. Jameel al Khafiz wrote:

> liz...@dnai.com (Lizard) writes:
[snip]
> > Now, if only there was a convenient place to store "Combiner Kibble"
> > -- all the hands, feet, chestplates, etc, that go into making a
> > combiner...
>
> That's part of what makes Monstructor so cool. All of the combining
> parts save the head go somewhere on the monster bodies. Almost no
> loose parts!
> ----

Actually, the Monstructor head also stores away, although not too
firmly. It goes into a recess on Slog's back, upside-down and facing
towards the backplate (as far as I can recall, anyway; I don't have it
with me to check exactly).

Doug Dlin

Rodney Lambson

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96
liz...@dnai.com (Lizard) wrote:

>On 9 Feb 1996 18:53:57 +0100, opt...@canit.se (Iggy Drougge) wrote:
>
>>Brian Ruh (be...@expert.cc.purdue.edu) wrote:
>>
>>: Actually, I discovered that the fold-down cab on Optimus Prime was a great
>>: place to store his fists when I transformed him. Anybody else notice
>>: this?
>>
>>Yes. Me too.
>
>Never occured to me they could go anywhere else!

>Now, if only there was a convenient place to store "Combiner Kibble"
>-- all the hands, feet, chestplates, etc, that go into making a
>combiner...

those are the times you wish all that "shunting mass to subsbace" stuff worked!