Wal-Mart Black Friday TF "Exclusives" Revealed

Zobovor

Nov 14, 2007, 10:55:12 PM11/14/07
I saw some Blitz items in the stockroom at Wal-Mart today. They're
not available for sale yet, and are intended for the day-after-
Thanksgiving sale so you won't see them on the salesfloor until next
Friday. They're not exactly anything to write home about, either.

They're actually just repackaged Cybertron toys that are being sold
together in a 2-pack for $10.00 a pop, only now they're under the
ubiquitous Transformers: Universe banner. One of them is Excellion
vs. Thundercracker in a set called "Opposites Attack" (get it?) and
the other is Downshift vs. Cannonball, starring in "Search for the
Pirate Moon." As far as I can tell, the paint deco is identical to
the original release.

There's a little storyline on the back on the packaging for each set,
talking about how Excellion and Thundercracker couldn't be more
different from one another if they tried, and how Downshift has been
released from his Autobot duties so he's going on a treasure hunt or
something like that.

The toys are shipped in displays called drop pallets designed to be
taken straight to the salesfloor, so expect them to be somewhere in
the action alley (the main aisle) on Blitz day. There are only two 2-
packs available; it's Downshifts and Excellions all the way through.

Personally, this strikes me as a pretty lame product idea. I mean,
these toys are what, two years old now? (Well, maybe not that old. I
ended up getting Thundercracker last Christmas, but I know that he had
been available at retail for quite some time by that point.) Why not
some movie toys instead? Y'know, something that actually ties in with
this year's product somehow? Something that's actually *on* kids'
wish lists? I dunno. I'd better quit editorializing.

The UPC for "Opposites Attack" is 6-53569-27720; the UPC for "Search
for the Pirate Moon" is 6-53569-27721. My store got 216 of the sets
in; I expect they'll sell quickly. Get 'em while they're hot. (Or
not.)

Zob

David Willis

Nov 14, 2007, 11:45:02 PM11/14/07
> They're actually just repackaged Cybertron toys that are being sold
> together in a 2-pack for $10.00 a pop, only now they're under the
> ubiquitous Transformers: Universe banner. One of them is Excellion
> vs. Thundercracker in a set called "Opposites Attack" (get it?) and
> the other is Downshift vs. Cannonball, starring in "Search for the
> Pirate Moon." As far as I can tell, the paint deco is identical to
> the original release.

Ah, okay. We saw these pop up on eBay a few months ago, but had no idea
what they were for. Guess that solves that.

--David

Chad Rushing

Nov 15, 2007, 5:32:27 AM11/15/07
Thanks for the heads-up! Since I have (at least) two of all of these
already, I will pass on them, since they are the same as the original
figures. $10 a set though still is not too bad.

Yeah, I know it is pretty lame that they would release those sets as
their November exclusives, but that means I will not have to rush to
Wal-Mart that morning to grab good exclusives before the scalpers do.

- Chad

G.B. Blackrock

Nov 15, 2007, 12:01:44 PM11/15/07
Some years, we get amazing stuff the day after Thanksgiving. Others,
we get leftovers from previous years.

I guess my wallet will be a bit happier this year, though.

Onslaught Six

Nov 15, 2007, 12:45:53 PM11/15/07
On Nov 14, 7:55 pm, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

> They're actually just repackaged Cybertron toys that are being sold
> together in a 2-pack for $10.00 a pop, only now they're under the
> ubiquitous Transformers: Universe banner. One of them is Excellion
> vs. Thundercracker in a set called "Opposites Attack" (get it?) and
> the other is Downshift vs. Cannonball, starring in "Search for the
> Pirate Moon." As far as I can tell, the paint deco is identical to
> the original release.

Heeeey! I like the Red Alert mould and hear awesome things about
Cannonball, and I always thought I should get Downshift just because I
liked his key data (It confirms TFs have life partners!) and for the
Wheeljackyness, so if I run into this, I'll totally pick it up
probably.

ShadowWing

Nov 15, 2007, 9:44:51 PM11/15/07

"Onslaught Six" wrote

> Heeeey! I like the Red Alert mould and hear awesome things about
> Cannonball, and I always thought I should get Downshift just because I
> liked his key data (It confirms TFs have life partners!) and for the
> Wheeljackyness, so if I run into this, I'll totally pick it up
> probably.

I have both molds on their own, and they're good. Definitely get them.
(Sidebar: does anyone else's Downshift have their claw pop out on a whim
whether the key's in or not? Mine's about as weak as Dirt Boss's drop down
in vehicle mode gimmick.)

Onslaught Six

Nov 17, 2007, 6:04:03 AM11/17/07
On Nov 15, 9:44 pm, "ShadowWing" <the_...@SPAMBLOCKADEsnet.net> wrote:

> I have both molds on their own, and they're good. Definitely get them.
> (Sidebar: does anyone else's Downshift have their claw pop out on a whim
> whether the key's in or not? Mine's about as weak as Dirt Boss's drop down
> in vehicle mode gimmick.)

Yeah, I always meant to, but I either never had money or there was
something else I wanted more at the time. Oh well. I'll be looking for
these, I guess.

As for Dirt Boss, a long while back I managed to mod mine to the point
where his "dropped down" wheels could stay that way in his robot mode,
and he instantly became ten times better. Adding in weapons also
helped.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/OnslaughtSix/dirtboss.jpg

Gustavo Wombat

Nov 17, 2007, 2:02:01 PM11/17/07
On Nov 14, 7:55 pm, Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

Any new colors? I'm guessing not, since 3 out of 4 are already
redecos, but Downshift could definitely use a redeco -- maybe a nice
1970s orange?

Mind you, I love his current color scheme, but I'd buy this mold in a
new color scheme in a heartbeat. Even from Wal-Mart.

Gustavo!