Getting Disappointed with Beast Wars Toys

Dave Richter

Mar 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/9/97

>From beneath a giant bust of Michael Moore, Jaremy David Pyle wrote:
>
> I found the two new deluxes (Bonecrusher and Manterror) the other days at TRU
> and I must say that I am getting very upset with the Beast Wars toys.
>
> I first series was great, and I really like Primal, but I think the only
> good one out since then is Inferno. While the Beast modes may look good,
> the robot mode is what is important and that is what IMO Kenner is really
> starting to screw up.

Well, Airazor and Razorclaw came post-Inferno, and there's no arguement
about them. But I'm harping on semantics.

> Take Bonecrusher first, the piece that forms his head is huge and extends
> way too far back in robot mode. His hands are terrible too. The missile
> shooting out of his mouth is also not very nifty feature also. Not a bad
> face compared to some of the others, but overall this is a toys best left
> unmade.

Well, I always say, a BW toy should be judged first and foremost on
it's ability to impersonate Gene Simmons. But seriously, Bonecrusher
has but one flaw; ie a cranium suffering from severe elephantitis. But
besides that, he's a great toy. Double jointed at the elbow, able to
swivle at the waist, and built heavy to give the illusion of bulk. And
what's so bad about his hands? They're open palmed, articulate,
pristine, ivory hands; if a TF doesn't come with a weapon, I'm glad he
doesn't also have a block with a hole in it for hands. And look at that
color scheme; it's subtle brilliance. BW has a way of putting metallic
paint on an animal and making it look natural; ie: Bonecrusher's got a
line of silver on his back, and it looks dandy. Not sure about that
gold nose, though.

> Manterror is even worse. I have no clue what the designer was imagining
> when he came up with Manterror's hands and arms. These are easily the
> most useless and stupid looking apendages yet on a BW toy. The face is
> not very imaginative either. Another toy that should not have made it
> into production.

No argument here, those arms super-double-secret goofy. Nice head and
legs, though.

> Jetstorm is even worse than these two. His transformation is so bad I
> don't think I'll ever trouble myself with transforming him again, and his
> face and hands are terrible, as well as having a 4 inch piece of idiocy
> sticking out of his back.

Well, he's a theme character; he looks Giger-esque, and as such, makes
for a bad robot. I've grown to accept his stooped-over profile and
predatory gait, as it sort of pegs him as a close-quarters beserker
type. Which is pretty much the profile of Inferno, but oh well. I
could take him or leave him.
Notice you didn't happen upon a Cybershark. Best toy in the
assortment, IMO. The metallic purple looks fiiiine, like Andy Griffith
would say fine. But others have ranted on that subject.

> IMO, toys should look cool from any angle. You should be able to turn a
> BW or any figure around have it look as cool as it does in the front. The
> rear should not be a place for a toy designer to throw any excess pieces
> on the figure that are not needed in robot mode. There are much more
> better designs than that.

I don't know, you've got to put the animal kibble somewhere. This is
standard TF fare; look at all the T-rex bitz Grimlock has hanging off
his back. BW has alot of junk hanging off the back of many of it's
entries, but it doesn't overbalance them, so what does it matter?
And as for comments on the Decline and Fall of the Beast Wars design
team, let's examine the state of the line in this, the midst of the
second year. They've put out alot of repaints, one of all the original
deluxe toys save Rhinox (counting Grimlock and K-9, the planned
repaints). The regular line and the deluxe line, however, has produced
a sizable amount of original designs. A completist, by now, has quite a
plastic menagerie. And yet BW is still selling it's toys based on a
central pillar; realistic looking animals that transform into extremely
posable animals. No gimmicks, or at least, no gimmicks as selling
points. Well, I guess those gestaults are a gimmick, but they're also
sacred TF history. Anyway, we're still getting the design equivalent of
the G1 seeker jets or the original cars, which were golden.

Jaremy David Pyle

Mar 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/10/97

[...]

After the repaints (yuck) come out, I am looking forward to the gestalt
teams. I have yet to see pictures, but I have hope for these, just as
long as they are not on the same level as what is coming out now. Don't
get me wrong though, I love the show and have purchased every BW toy
that has been released to date and have all of them opened and displayed
on shelves in my room. When I found Bonecrusher and Manterror in the
store, I actually debated not spending money on them, but decided too
anyway, and I will probably do the same on all the rest of the BW toys to
come. It just seems to me that Kenner is lost the initial quality of the
line and now is just seeking to capitalize on popularity and get as many
BW toys as possible out and into kid's hands without taking a creatively
questioning look at what they are producing. The BW team needs to head
over to the the SW department and get some pointers on making stunningly
detailed action figures (although the SW people could use some help on
articulation as well).

Well, that's what I think anyway,
Jaremy

Wolfang

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

Jaremy David Pyle wrote:

> I found the two new deluxes (Bonecrusher and Manterror) the other days at TRU
> and I must say that I am getting very upset with the Beast Wars toys.
>
> I first series was great, and I really like Primal, but I think the only
> good one out since then is Inferno. While the Beast modes may look good,
> the robot mode is what is important and that is what IMO Kenner is really
> starting to screw up.
> Jetstorm is even worse than these two. His transformation is so bad I
> don't think I'll ever trouble myself with transforming him again, and his
> face and hands are terrible, as well as having a 4 inch piece of idiocy
> sticking out of his back.

I cannot take issue with Bonecrusher and Manterror since I don't have them,
but with reference to Jetstorm, I feel I am forced to disagree. I got
Jetstorm the same day as in Inferno, and I must say the similarities are
striking. What I love about the transformations is that, essentially,
everything you see in robot mode you also see in insect mode. These are
transformed by the process of rearranging body parts. I think that is
really, well, nifty.
As to Optimus, yes he was cool, but as I think about it more, he was really
only cool for his gimmickiness. After all, how hard is it to turn a gorilla
into a humanoid? His entire transformation is essentially turning his legs
around and popping his face off. Now I know there are little things on him
that make him look better, but honestly he is rather simplistic.
And to say that the first wave was great? I know it's not fair to pick
on the regulars, but those are really the ones (excepting Polar Claw who,
I have to say, I despise - but I won't get into that here) that bother me.
Ratrap? Razorbeast? - robot crouching inside an animal.
Megatron? Optimus? Armordillo? a pair of hinged legs with animals on their back.
Insecticon was a well-integrated version of the above, and I respect him.
But T-Rex megatron was essentially like a clever version of Rattrap or
Razorbeast. (That'd better be the name of the wild boar with the toupee that
becomes a gun).
My latest two regulars, Drillbit and Claw Jaw, are far more intricate than
previous regulars to varying degrees of success. Drillbit is essentially a
clever version of hide the robot parts a la Rattrap or Snapper (I liked Snapper,
but more for his molding, than anything mechanical) and he works nicely.
Claw Jaw is more in the rearrange the robot parts vein, and he isn't too
successful, but he's still more interesting than previous regular releases.
Of course these are the only members of the latest wave I've seen, but even
so, I have to disagree with you. I would posit that Beast Wars are not getting
worse, but better - and I can only hope for more designs in the style of Inferno
or Jetstorm further down the road.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. . .

-Wolfang
dl...@erols.com

Kodiak

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

I thought Bonecrusher and Manteoro..or whatever, was great, even though
it didn't have any hands. I didn't pick them up, though. I'm still
waiting for those 3 robot gestalt Beast Wars toys that Wonko the Sane
reported on. I'm sure TRU or Target will have a sale later and we will
all regret buying BW toys for full retail.

Wonko the Sane

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

Jaremy David Pyle (pyle...@gmi.edu) wrote:
[snip]
: Take Bonecrusher first, the piece that forms his head is huge and extends
: way too far back in robot mode. His hands are terrible too. The missile
: shooting out of his mouth is also not very nifty feature also. Not a bad
: face compared to some of the others, but overall this is a toys best left
: unmade.

I agree about the ungainly head. However, the missile firing
feature is neat, talk about a surprise head but mixed w/firepower! I
think the hands are actually neat, he's one of the few TF's with open
hands like that and I've got him currently in a pose with his hands up,
goading Iguanus and Insecticon on for a fight. The hands also can be used
for a salute or to slap around enemies. :) The overall look of this toy
is pretty fierce (he's got that "I'm a rough and tough mythical creature"
look to him) IMO and kinda cute in Beast mode (hey, I think most
fluffy, shaggy rug type things are cute, sue me).

: Manterror is even worse. I have no clue what the designer was imagining

: when he came up with Manterror's hands and arms. These are easily the
: most useless and stupid looking apendages yet on a BW toy. The face is
: not very imaginative either. Another toy that should not have made it
: into production.

Useless? Boy, Manterror has only been out of the package for
about a week and he's batted around tons of Maximals that would normally
be out of reach and launched his disks so many times I'm surprised I
haven't lost them yet. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be scared
by a Predacon who's arm range is that long. :)
I found the mold of the face very nicely done, and whoever said
Manterror looks great up against the light was right. Manterror and
Inferno have that "I'm gonna eat you alive!" look on their faces. I find
it nice and intimidating, exactly what I expect from Predacon warriors.

: Jetstorm is even worse than these two. His transformation is so bad I

: don't think I'll ever trouble myself with transforming him again, and his
: face and hands are terrible, as well as having a 4 inch piece of idiocy
: sticking out of his back.

By bad transformation, what do you mean? The pieces don't all fit
together properly or what? I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I
realize different fans have different ideas of "bad" Transforms. Some
people feel that an overly simply transform (a la Bumblebee from G1) is
not good because of it's simplicity for instance, while others would say
G1 Megatron is bad because he's too complex. I like Jetstorm's
transformation simply because it's multi step, needs a lot of part
manipulation but looks great in both modes (IMO of course). The only
complaint I have about him is that his missile launchers should be usable
in robot mode.
Again, everyone has different opinions on what's "good" or "bad"
for a TF. These "opposing views" are a perfect example. :)

*Name: Benson "Ironfire" Yee *
*a.k.a. Wonko the Sane *
*e-mail: ye...@is2.nyu.edu *
*Check out Wonko's World, it's neat! *
*http://acweb.com/ben/ *
***************************************
"Ooohh...Waspinator has a headache in his whole body..."
-Waspinator "Possession"

eric

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97
to Kodiak

I didn't think manterror or bonecrusher was all that great. they kindof
sucked. bonecrushers head looked kind of dooofy plus his robot
mode is fairly unstable . Jetstorm and cybershark are great though.

Trent Troop

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

Wonko the Sane wrote:

> : Manterror is even worse. I have no clue what the designer was imagining
> : when he came up with Manterror's hands and arms. These are easily the
> : most useless and stupid looking apendages yet on a BW toy. The face is
> : not very imaginative either. Another toy that should not have made it
> : into production.
>
> Useless? Boy, Manterror has only been out of the package for
> about a week and he's batted around tons of Maximals that would normally
> be out of reach and launched his disks so many times I'm surprised I
> haven't lost them yet. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be scared
> by a Predacon who's arm range is that long. :)

Manterror has long since beaten my Maximals (Dinobot, and a mutant Batimus Primal
made from Armordillo, Batimus Primal, and Megacroc) into pulp, and is now tearing
into a team of Destroids... man... can nothing stop this demon?

> I found the mold of the face very nicely done, and whoever said
> Manterror looks great up against the light was right. Manterror and
> Inferno have that "I'm gonna eat you alive!" look on their faces. I find
> it nice and intimidating, exactly what I expect from Predacon warriors.

Yes... BW, lords of the Blacklight. MW aren't bad either...

> By bad transformation, what do you mean? The pieces don't all fit
> together properly or what? I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I
> realize different fans have different ideas of "bad" Transforms. Some
> people feel that an overly simply transform (a la Bumblebee from G1) is
> not good because of it's simplicity for instance, while others would say
> G1 Megatron is bad because he's too complex. I like Jetstorm's
> transformation simply because it's multi step, needs a lot of part
> manipulation but looks great in both modes (IMO of course). The only
> complaint I have about him is that his missile launchers should be usable
> in robot mode.

To paraphrase Brak "That Transformer Scared the Pants off me..." Whoever sculpted
that beast did a good job of protraying ABSOLUTE EVIL in a toy form.

-Trent "I want my Ultraposable MW Cliffjumper and Bumblebee" Troop
"You'd better not touch me, 'cuz I'm burning with RAGE!"
- Prince Vejita, Dragonball Z Movie 13: Goku's Dragonfist
"Hey! Keep it on the road, We're in the tubes back here!"
- MST3K The Movie
"Explody Look! Its Peg Pelvis Pete Come to kill us!"
- Stimpy's Cartoon

FremontCA

Mar 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/12/97

I like the new BW, except for the idot looking faces... I thought these
guys were robots... not monsters.

Jaremy David Pyle

Mar 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/12/97

> > Useless? Boy, Manterror has only been out of the package for
> > about a week and he's batted around tons of Maximals that would normally
> > be out of reach and launched his disks so many times I'm surprised I
> > haven't lost them yet. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be scared
> > by a Predacon who's arm range is that long. :)

Functionally, it would be useful for a warrior to be able to extend like
that...but it just doesn't look right to me. It's too out of proportion,
and how can this character do anything with his hands besides launch his
disks or batter people from far away.

> > I found the mold of the face very nicely done, and whoever said
> > Manterror looks great up against the light was right. Manterror and
> > Inferno have that "I'm gonna eat you alive!" look on their faces. I find
> > it nice and intimidating, exactly what I expect from Predacon warriors.

I didn't like Inferno's face at first impression, but it has since grown
on me and he is my favorite BW figure now. Maybe Manterror's will do the
same.

> > By bad transformation, what do you mean? The pieces don't all fit
> > together properly or what? I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I
> > realize different fans have different ideas of "bad" Transforms. Some
> > people feel that an overly simply transform (a la Bumblebee from G1) is
> > not good because of it's simplicity for instance, while others would say
> > G1 Megatron is bad because he's too complex. I like Jetstorm's
> > transformation simply because it's multi step, needs a lot of part
> > manipulation but looks great in both modes (IMO of course). The only
> > complaint I have about him is that his missile launchers should be usable
> > in robot mode.

By bad transformation I ment simply a pain. It's difficult to get his
chest and waist sections to fit together easily, and I don't like the way
his torso fits with his waist and head. It just doesn't look, fit, or
feel right. The missile launchers kept popping out on me when I transform
him to making it rather annoying. Maybe I just got one that has weak
clips though. I would agree that either too much complexity in a smaller
toy, or too much simplicity in a bigger toy could ruin a Transformer. As
far as number of steps and such, Jetstorm is fine, I don't like the steps
themselves and the difficulty of performing small steps.

I guess I'm just looking for something a little more visually stunning
than what the current assortment of BW figures has to offer. Hopefully
the gestalt teams will fix that.

Jaremy

Dan Gross

Mar 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/12/97

I got a letter today from a friend that said, "Transformers are for
kids!" Can you beleive that!! and just a month ago he was saying than he
could not live if Transformers did not excist!!!! Did any of you aver
fill this way about Transformers at one time or another? Or have you
had any friends that have felt this way from one time to another? give
me your input!

Unicron2K5

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

//I like Jetstorm's

transformation simply because it's multi step, needs a lot of part
manipulation but looks great in both modes (IMO of course). The only
complaint I have about him is that his missile launchers should be usable
in robot mode.//

They are usable, but only against long range/air enemies:)... just twist
around his arm wings so the missiles aren't bumping them (much) and let em
fly!

<--------------->
Malin Huffman
unicr...@aol.com
mal...@solgate.com

Robert Edward Powers

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

I won't say I'm *disappointed* with the new BW... but I'm noticing a
trend away from the animal-mode realism that marked the first run of BW
toys. A purple bug? An orange squid? A gold shark? An orange and
blue crab? One of the best selling points of BW is that they actually
do look like real animals. I hope future designers remember that.

Admittedly, not every first-year BW is perfectly realistic:
Scorponok, for example. But most of them don't have neon colors, which
some of the new ones do. Such trends foreshadowed the decline of the G1
toys...
--
Robert Powers of the Ever-Neglected .sig
repo...@artsci.wustl.edu ______________________________________

Unicron2K5

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

//I got a letter today from a friend that said, "Transformers are for
me your input!//

Both extremes are dangerous situations IMHO. The first implies that the
person simply dismissed something previously important to him because it
was 'the thing to do' according to other people. The second is even worse.
My involvement with TF collecting and fans is an extension of my normal
life, not a reason for being. It always disturbs me to see fans of ANY
medium cross the line when they can no longer distinguish the purpose of
the medium from their own; or they become so obsessed that they want to
control the medium themselves, leading to a no win situation in which
someone else is entirely responsible for the happiness or depression of
their life. Pretty scary stuff.

Just my 2 energon crystals a week before senior recital....

The Nixtr

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

I NEVER for a moment considered TF's as something that can be outgrown!!!
--
The Nixtr *** Transformer Fan *** VISIT MY WEB PAGE (BELOW)
Opposite of Pro-Life: Pro-lie!!! - - Susan Smith is Pro-choice!!!
>>> WORLD's WEIRDEST SITE: *** http://www.acy.digex.net/~thenixtr ***<<<
Don't Deal w/ Michael Lehman! (joe...@dwx.com)

Lewis M. Brooks, III

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

In article <19970313140...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, unicr...@aol.com (Unicron2K5) writes:
> //I got a letter today from a friend that said, "Transformers are for
> kids!" Can you beleive that!! and just a month ago he was saying than he
> could not live if Transformers did not excist!!!! Did any of you aver
> fill this way about Transformers at one time or another? Or have you
> had any friends that have felt this way from one time to another? give
> me your input!//

Well, around 1988, I kind of fell away from Transformers, when I started
collecting Baseball cards. All of them ended up packed away in the attic. I
don't think I ever really stopped liking Transformers. But, it was like
regaining something that I'd lost when I started collecting them again in
January 1995. Best thing I've ever done.

> Both extremes are dangerous situations IMHO. The first implies that the
> person simply dismissed something previously important to him because it
> was 'the thing to do' according to other people. The second is even worse.
> My involvement with TF collecting and fans is an extension of my normal
> life, not a reason for being. It always disturbs me to see fans of ANY
> medium cross the line when they can no longer distinguish the purpose of
> the medium from their own;

You mean their is a line? A purpose seaparate from my own? What maddness is
this. You speak in a language foreign to me. I speak Klingon, Romulan,
Cybertronian, and Federation Standard. My purpose is to help bring peace to
the galaxy, and bring an end to the evil Decepticons reign of terror. To seek
out new life and new civilazations, and to go where no man has gone before!
And to Mount St Hilary too!

> or they become so obsessed that they want to
> control the medium themselves, leading to a no win situation in which
> someone else is entirely responsible for the happiness or depression of
> their life. Pretty scary stuff.

No one is responisble for my happiness. Just wait until I win the lottery, and
buy HasKen, and completely take over the Transformers. THEN THEY'LL SEE!!
I'll make them sorry for canceling the Transformers!!

And it will happen, I'll use the force!! If need be, I'll summon earth's
mighties hereos to help me. I'll call the Baxter Building, and the Avengers
Mansion.

This had been brought to you by Delusions R Us, the world's most delusional toy
store. Got to go, with guys with white coats and big nets are coming to take
me away....

Lewis (Seriously though, without Transformers, ST, and SW, what would life be?)

Jimmy

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

Dan Gross wrote:

> I got a letter today from a friend that said, "Transformers are for
> kids!" Can you beleive that!! and just a month ago he was saying than he
> could not live if Transformers did not excist!!!! Did any of you aver
> fill this way about Transformers at one time or another? Or have you
> had any friends that have felt this way from one time to another? give
> me your input!

Your friend might be stressed and suffering from a split personality
syndrome. If he doesn't recover in a month, my opinion is to take him
to pay a visit to Kevorkyan.

Jaremy David Pyle

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

> : Take Bonecrusher first, the piece that forms his head is huge and extends
> : way too far back in robot mode. His hands are terrible too. The missile
> : shooting out of his mouth is also not very nifty feature also. Not a bad
> : face compared to some of the others, but overall this is a toys best left
> : unmade.
>
> I agree about the ungainly head. However, the missile firing
> feature is neat, talk about a surprise head but mixed w/firepower! I
> think the hands are actually neat, he's one of the few TF's with open
> hands like that and I've got him currently in a pose with his hands up,
> goading Iguanus and Insecticon on for a fight. The hands also can be used
> for a salute or to slap around enemies. :) The overall look of this toy
> is pretty fierce.

I just don't like it, especially the way the head extends and sticks out
of the whole body.

Hands are something that has bothered me about Beast Wars through the
whole run. What would be nice would be for all the different sizes of
figures (ie. minis, deluxes,...) to have the same size hands as the
others in there groups, and have all the weapons handles be the same size
for each in the group so that any character could hold another
character's weapon(s). I think that would add a lot to the playability of
the toys and it would just make them look better too.

Jaremy

Primeval Reckoning

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

Dan Gross <dgr...@jetlink.net> wrote:

:I got a letter today from a friend that said, "Transformers are for
:kids!" Can you beleive that!! and just a month ago he was saying than he
:could not live if Transformers did not excist!!!! Did any of you aver
:fill this way about Transformers at one time or another? Or have you
:had any friends that have felt this way from one time to another? give
:me your input!

Input: I CAN believe you couldn't spell your way out of a cardboard box.

- PrReck -

Wonko the Sane

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

Jaremy David Pyle (pyle...@gmi.edu) wrote:
:
: Functionally, it would be useful for a warrior to be able to extend like
: that...but it just doesn't look right to me. It's too out of proportion,
: and how can this character do anything with his hands besides launch his
: disks or batter people from far away.

He could do the same as Scorponok, Blackarachnia and Tarantulas
(although I admit Tarantulas had hands at one point, but they seem to have
vanished). Though his arms are very long, I have the arms on mine tucked
back a bit. That way, he could operation computer panels, press buttons,
lift things (which I admit, may require both hands err...appendages). He
is indeed out of proportion, but I think the benefits in combat outweigh
the problem of him not being able to type 60 words a minute. :)

: I didn't like Inferno's face at first impression, but it has since grown

: on me and he is my favorite BW figure now. Maybe Manterror's will do the
: same.

Inferno's face took getting used to for me too. However, for me
it did grow on me. This is one of those "matter of personal taste" things
of course.

: By bad transformation I ment simply a pain. It's difficult to get his

: chest and waist sections to fit together easily, and I don't like the way
: his torso fits with his waist and head. It just doesn't look, fit, or
: feel right.

Really? Mine fit rather tight and both forms have held together
well (he doesn't flop around for instance). Perhaps it's a matter of
getting one with tighter joints?

: The missile launchers kept popping out on me when I transform

: him to making it rather annoying.

Hmmm...mine have stayed put. Sounds like you got a rather loose
Jetstorm there. Quality control is an issue. Most of the time, the BW
toys are good but my Terrorsaur's legs for instance have been loose since
day one making him virtually impossible to stand. Ah vell.

[snip]
: far as number of steps and such, Jetstorm is fine, I don't like the steps

: themselves and the difficulty of performing small steps.

That's precisely what I do like. I remember in episodes of the
old show like "More than meets the eye", when the TF's changed form, small
parts would shift, fit into place before the big parts really moved into
vehicle or robot forms. The small steps remind me of that. Maybe it's
just me and my silly imagination. :)

: I guess I'm just looking for something a little more visually stunning

: than what the current assortment of BW figures has to offer. Hopefully
: the gestalt teams will fix that.

The individual figures (as I recall) are pretty regular. However,
the giants did not fail to impress me.

SUZANNE M FERREE

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

Jaremy David Pyle (pyle...@gmi.edu) wrote:
|sf>Since I haven't seen Manterror, Cybershark, or the buffalo around
here, I won't comment on them.

[...]

Basically, he's a BW version of G2 Deluge. It's not too hard, but
it takes a certain trick. Try linking it up *before* you reconnect
the head to the chest. If you try linking it up when the chest is
connected to the head, it's a pure fight.

: his torso fits with his waist and head. It just doesn't look, fit, or

: feel right. The missile launchers kept popping out on me when I transform

Being difficult to transform & being "annoying to transform" into
a specific mode are two different things. If you said that he isn't
fun to transform & putting him into robot mode is a pain in the neck,
I'd have to agree w/ you. However, I still think he makes a good robot,
even though he's not obsessive to transform (FYI, Clawjaw, Inferno, &
Airazor are the ones this year who are "obsessively fun" to transform.)
It gives him a flaw, but it doesn't ruin the whole toy.

: him to making it rather annoying. Maybe I just got one that has weak

: clips though. I would agree that either too much complexity in a smaller

See above on the secrets to changing him. "Too much complexity?"
So-so. It depends on what you mean by complexity. *shrug*

: toy, or too much simplicity in a bigger toy could ruin a Transformer. As

: far as number of steps and such, Jetstorm is fine, I don't like the steps
: themselves and the difficulty of performing small steps.

I'm not too crazy about flipping the chest either, but I still
think he's cool.

: I guess I'm just looking for something a little more visually stunning
: than what the current assortment of BW figures has to offer. Hopefully
: the gestalt teams will fix that.

IMO, "visually stunning" describes Razorclaw, Airazor, Inferno,
& Claw Jaw. (Razorclaw is *really* fun to draw... :) ).
In one of your other posts, I seem to remember you saying that
a TF should look good from all sides & that his tail was a problem?
What's really wrong w/ a robot having a tail? Honestly, I don't
really think the water-shooting gimmick was necessary (he'd
probably have been better w/o it) & the tail seems to be made of that
"cheaper plastic," but there's nothing wrong w/ a robot having a tail
IMO.
The only disadvantages w/ him that I see are #1 the trouble
w/ moving his head (which is no big deal--it's a cool head) #2,
the green missiles don't shoot very well & don't fit any other
launchers AFAIK, & #3 the 2 upper legs on his robot legs just hang
there (while the lower one on each leg serves a balancing purpose).
--
Suzanne Ferree (an alt.toys.transformers fan)
E-mail: sfe...@s-cwis.unomaha.edu