[BM] The End of The World as We Know it...

10 views
Skip to first unread message

Neale Davidson

unread,
Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
to
L
I
F
E
,

D
O
N
'
T

T
A
L
K

T
O

M
E

A
B
O
U
T

L
I
F
E

My god, we're watching 'The Rebirth' stretched out into 13 episodes! Noooo!
Actually, it seems
like Skir watched Rebirth and designed a new series as an extension of that
three parter. It makes
sense, considering the basic premise, and the (gross) mischaracterizations
of several characters.

Optimus Primal, Rebirth Op Prime. Does nothing but listens to Vector Sigma.
Megatron, Galvatron. Gives orders to the 'lieutenants', but does little
directly.
Tankor, Zarak. Schemer, attempts to usurp control of the 'cons.

Of course, today's episode was /ripped/ right out of 'Return of the Jedi' as
well. I was half
expecting to see Megatron shoot lightning bolts from his fingertips. Having
Optimus watch as
his friends are 'destroyed' really looked like the Throne Room scene from
the end of Jedi.
(He's getting pushed to the dark side! Look!)

Also... Skir doesn't know the difference between Mainframe and Reboot.
Hardware is nothing
but computer programs. Hell, computer programs can do /anything/ apparently.
We had more
vehicons 'derez' in this episode. It makes me think this is all a bad
holodeck experience, and
not a battle-scarred planet with an overdose of military hardware...

Lastly, again, we have a few bits pulled from the 'ether' to drive the
episode. The 'cool' factor
was the 'Plasma Energy Chamber'. It made sense this time, but I would have
rather seen a
story arc with the Maximals /getting/ the chamber rather than just walking
up to it...

Another line. "Don't worry, Organics won't be affected." Yep, confirmation.
The Maximals are
not technological /at all/. They're organic. Either that or Optimus was
going to kill them all
knowingly. It makes me wonder how much of that plantlife was /smoked/
instead of grown...

Okay, more seriously, the execution of this episode was the best of the
series, and Megatron,
after 13 episodes, is /finally/ resembling more of his former self. Sadly,
this comes far far too
late to save the series as a whole.

If anyone is still confused about 'organic vs technology' after this
episode, they need to get to
a shrink, quick. There was no subtlety here. At least it's being portrayed
that both sides are
evil.. but... the cliffhanger didn't hit me. Well - I want both sides to
lose. Hard to care /what/
happens to Cybertron at this point...

--
Neale Davidson - TFN...@home.com
Keeper of the Protoform Project - http://members.xoom.com/TFNeale/index.htm
"Beast Machines: Remember kids, the best way to deal with a problem is to
run away from it."


The Frozen Food Guy

unread,
Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
to
RAG, RAG, RAG....... It never ends.....


Zero minus 6

unread,
Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
to

The Frozen Food Guy <Kevi...@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:11829-38...@storefull-288.iap.bryant.webtv.net...

> RAG, RAG, RAG....... It never ends.....
>

I think it's because he has a bad case of head up the ass syndrome, which
has earned him a spot in many kill-files.

--
"I would say that we are deliberately making the Dolphin easy to program
for - very strong development tools - because we learned our lesson with the
Nintendo 64."- Howard Lincoln

"What's wrong Megatron? Is your single elegant machine having trouble
multitasking?" -Optimus Primal

"Today, we have a blind date with destiny, and it looks like she ordered the
lobster." - The Shoveller from Mystery Men

WAKKA WAKKA DO!


Neale Davidson

unread,
Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
to
> I think it's because he has a bad case of head up the ass syndrome, which
> has earned him a spot in many kill-files.

My only reply to the both of you would consist of what Larry once said about
Vectory Sigma.

--
Neale Davidson - TFN...@home.com
Keeper of the Protoform Project - http://members.xoom.com/TFNeale/index.htm

"Beast Machines: Heroes don't use guns, but they do commit genocide."


Scott E. Kampa

unread,
Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
to
In article <Q_564.11828$4r6.3...@news.rdc1.il.home.com>,

First off, I...haven't seen the episode yet. Just had a couple of
comments...

> My god, we're watching 'The Rebirth' stretched out into 13 episodes!
>Noooo!

Hey now! Some of us liked "The Rebirth". :)

> Of course, today's episode was /ripped/ right out of 'Return of the
>Jedi' as well. I was half expecting to see Megatron shoot lightning
>bolts from his fingertips.

Well, Megatron *has* shot lightning from his fingertips in previous
episodes... :)

> Lastly, again, we have a few bits pulled from the 'ether' to drive the
> episode. The 'cool' factor was the 'Plasma Energy Chamber'. It made
>sense this time, but I would have rather seen a story arc with the
>Maximals /getting/ the chamber rather than just walking up to it...

I don't know. If we had a episode devoted to just *getting* to the
Plasma Energy Chamber, wouldn't that just mean a bunch of people
wondering why they wasted an episode doing that instead of just giving
a little exposition and moving right along?

> Another line. "Don't worry, Organics won't be affected." Yep,
>confirmation. The Maximals are not technological /at all/. They're
>organic. Either that or Optimus was going to kill them all
> knowingly.

Actually, I'm not so sure about this. First of all, there are multiple
examples of Primal et al, calling themselves technorganic. Implecation
is some mechanical, some organic parts. The Plasma Energy Chamber
affects mechanical beings, sure, but in "The Rebirth" it only affects
beings that are *totally* mechanical. Spike and the Nebulans were
unaffected even in their armor (a form that could loosely be
called "technorganic"). Why they took the armor off is beyond me, but
they were quite unaffected in their *-master suits. So Primal's
statement that organics won't be affected could mean that the Maximals
won't be affected since they partially organic, just like the *-masters
in their armor.

> If anyone is still confused about 'organic vs technology' after this
> episode, they need to get to a shrink, quick. There was no subtlety
>here. At least it's being portrayed that both sides are
> evil.. but... the cliffhanger didn't hit me.

I'll have to wait to see the cliffhanger first...

But, was that comment about needing a shrink necessary? I don't see
any need to be so purposefully belligerent to people who have been
enjoying the show. I know you've been flamed in the past (and the
present based on a couple of other immature responses to this post) but
from what I've seen of you in past posts, before BMac, you have always
been above such immature retaliations.

Onward to the show, you say yourself that both sides are being
portrayed as evil. Maybe that's the point right now. Neither Megatron
or Primal are looking for that balance and both are willing to unleash
holocaust-like measures to reach their goals. Both are blinded by what
they think is right and refuse to look for other options. Of all the
characters in the show, Cheetor (who's still as ass IMO; I don't care
what the box says he transforms into :) has the right idea: go after
the missing sparks. That's what he's been thinking from the
beginning. But Primal's been blinded and not thinking clearly, with
the weight of guilt on his shoulders.

Scott, think about it...Cheetor the ass. The toy *does* look like it
has hooves... :)

--
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Oedipus, put your mother down. You'll poke your eyes out."
-------------------------------------------------------------


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mu

unread,
Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
to
Neale Davidson wrote:
>
=> My only reply to the both of you would consist of what Larry once
said about
> Vectory Sigma.

Larry's not in charge anymore.

Mu

unread,
Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
to
Neale Davidson wrote:
>

..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

..

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.


.
> My god, we're watching 'The Rebirth' stretched out into 13 episodes! Noooo!

Would you prefer 'Carnage in C-Minor?'

> Actually, it seems
> like Skir watched Rebirth and designed a new series as an extension of that
> three parter. It makes

<snip>

> Of course, today's episode was /ripped/ right out of 'Return of the Jedi' as
> well. I was half

See? That's what happens when you watch too much TV :P You can't see
anything else but another show in its mimicry, and its begging to
loathe.

> Also... Skir doesn't know the difference between Mainframe and Reboot.
> Hardware is nothing

I'm going on a limb here and guessing this has to do with Tankorr's
failsafe being hardwired into his circuitry. I'm surprised the
Diagnostic Drone (R.I.P... pieces, that is-- I never thought that he'd
be the one to die) didn't know about it.

> but computer programs. Hell, computer programs can do /anything/ apparently.

Computer programs can make robots that transform, have feelings and
personalities, and start Great Wars. They also make magical doohickeys
like the original Key to Vector Sigma, the Matrix of Leadership, and
trailers that appear out of nowhere.

> Lastly, again, we have a few bits pulled from the 'ether' to drive the
> episode. The 'cool' factor
> was the 'Plasma Energy Chamber'. It made sense this time, but I would have
> rather seen a
> story arc with the Maximals /getting/ the chamber rather than just walking
> up to it...

Considering that Megatron didn't know it was there, of course. And had
they taken a while to get to the Plasma Energy Chamber Primal probably
would've used it right away-- then the series WOULD bite.

> Another line. "Don't worry, Organics won't be affected." Yep, confirmation.
> The Maximals are
> not technological /at all/. They're organic. Either that or Optimus was
> going to kill them all

> knowingly. It makes me wonder how much of that plantlife was /smoked/
> instead of grown...

Given what happens in the end, I'd wager that Primal doesn't give a
slag about saving his own skin anymore, or that of his own people.
Megatron's right; Primal would never have unleashed the Plasma Energy
(but of course the boss-monkey's insane now... boo-hoo)

> Okay, more seriously, the execution of this episode was the best of the
> series, and Megatron,
> after 13 episodes, is /finally/ resembling more of his former self. Sadly,
> this comes far far too
> late to save the series as a whole.

Megatron did the exact same thing in the previous seasons of Beast
Wars-- sit around in his office with a cup of Java and let everybody
else do something for him (oh, let's see... the Vok Planetbuster, the
entire ordeal with the Ark, attacking the Ark on a regular basis...).
Only this time around it looked like he really WASN'T doing anything.

> "Beast Machines: Remember kids, the best way to deal with a problem is to
> run away from it."

Well, you can run all you like. You've already missed the show
(metaphorically).

Neale Davidson

unread,
Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
to
> > My god, we're watching 'The Rebirth' stretched out into 13 episodes!
Noooo!
>
> Would you prefer 'Carnage in C-Minor?'

Transformers: The Musical! Um.. no... and please don't give Fox and Hasbro
any ideas. Musical numbers are still too common in many kids' shows. (There
he is.. my little guy...)

> I'm going on a limb here and guessing this has to do with Tankorr's
> failsafe being hardwired into his circuitry. I'm surprised the
> Diagnostic Drone (R.I.P... pieces, that is-- I never thought that he'd
> be the one to die) didn't know about it.

Nope nope. That didn't bug me. What bugged me was the 'key to Vector Sigma'
being nothing more than a computer program. The 'Catalyst' growth virus
program.
The derezzing of destroyed drones. Etc... lots of things which would fit in
'reboot'...
but not in a setting that is supposedly real.

> Considering that Megatron didn't know it was there, of course. And had
> they taken a while to get to the Plasma Energy Chamber Primal probably
> would've used it right away-- then the series WOULD bite.

Yeah, like it's doing so well so far. Wouldn't you rather seen the Maximals
have
a tangible goal worth pursuing? And, remember those nasty sentinel drones
down in the depths? The energon leeches... lots of things to deal with. And,
of course, the drones at their backs...

> Given what happens in the end, I'd wager that Primal doesn't give a
> slag about saving his own skin anymore, or that of his own people.
> Megatron's right; Primal would never have unleashed the Plasma Energy
> (but of course the boss-monkey's insane now... boo-hoo)

Well there, the Maximals /were/ screwed. It was his last ditch effort, I
think,
but it did prove that the 'good guy Transformers' aren't even robots at all,
with the implication that sparks are organic as well...

Zero minus 6

unread,
Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
to

Slvrmist10 <slvrm...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:19991216193410...@ng-cr1.aol.com...

> >=> My only reply to the both of you would consist of what Larry once
> >said about
> >> Vectory Sigma.
> >
> > Larry's not in charge anymore.
>
> And boy does it show...

Yeah, now his boot lickers are out in droves, flaming BM.

Dan Perlberger

unread,
Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
to
Yeah I'm thinking about putting Neale in my killfile...he'd be the first one
I ever killfiled. I'm just sick of seeing his posts. Every week he says he
hates the show and will not watch next week's episode. But every week, I
see his crap in this newsgroup. Well maybe I'll try this killfile thing
out...

Dan

Zero minus 6 <*@*.*> wrote in message news:83b9it$25r$1...@bob.news.rcn.net...


>
> The Frozen Food Guy <Kevi...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> news:11829-38...@storefull-288.iap.bryant.webtv.net...
> > RAG, RAG, RAG....... It never ends.....
> >
>

> I think it's because he has a bad case of head up the ass syndrome, which
> has earned him a spot in many kill-files.
>
>
>

Dusty, and his very painful Krunk

unread,
Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
to
agreed.....I think you were being the sheep, by conforming with all the other
jackasses in the group, who flame people out of the blue. I come from the midwest
too, and yeah, swearing aint shit out there, but you were just being a plain-ass
jerk.............


Dusty


SLIMER1509 wrote:

> >Look, sheep-boy. I don't lick anyone's boots and I don't much like your damn
> >attitude.
>
> Dove, you really need to turn this reply around and read it as it pertains to
> yourself. Settle down. However, I see that you are quick to flame when your
> own comments are turned on you (bootlicker or sheep--they have the same
> connotation). Maybe now you will understand why you set people off with your
> "sheep" messages.
>
> >If there are mistakes it makes a hell of a lot more sense to me to admit them
> >than to try to pretend they don't exist.
>
> Who's pretending? If you hate the show, you see mistakes that may or may not
> be there. If you love it, you don't. There are, of course, stages in between.
> Stop trying to make you opinions sound like fact.
>
> >I don't know how far you've got your
> >head crammed up your ass, (btw, can you see the back of your own teeth like
> >that?), but at least I have the consolation of knowing your life is likely to
> >be fairly short if you like to go through it pretending everything is just
> >fine
> >all the time.
> >When something is screwed up, you need to admit things are wrong if you're
> >going to do a damn thing about it.
> >I have a really short fuse, and I've noticed Neale's posts tend to be a hell
> >of
> >a lot nicer than mine. I think he's doin a damn good job of keepin his temper
> >and you lil fucks oughta lay off!
>
> My God, what set this off? I think you need some downtime, Dove. That was
> really REALLY uncalled for.

--
"I had to pass a kidney stone, and was shocked to find out it was a headmaster."

http://www.innershine.com/Scratches/Intropage.htm

Slvrmist10

unread,
Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
to
>=> My only reply to the both of you would consist of what Larry once
>said about
>> Vectory Sigma.
>
> Larry's not in charge anymore.

And boy does it show...

White Dove

Slvrmist10

unread,
Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
to
>Yeah, now his boot lickers are out in droves, flaming BM.

Look, sheep-boy. I don't lick anyone's boots and I don't much like your damn
attitude. I've been trying to be on good holiday-like behavior recently and am
really sick of jackasses like you.


If there are mistakes it makes a hell of a lot more sense to me to admit them

than to try to pretend they don't exist. I don't know how far you've got your


head crammed up your ass, (btw, can you see the back of your own teeth like
that?), but at least I have the consolation of knowing your life is likely to
be fairly short if you like to go through it pretending everything is just fine
all the time.
When something is screwed up, you need to admit things are wrong if you're
going to do a damn thing about it.
I have a really short fuse, and I've noticed Neale's posts tend to be a hell of
a lot nicer than mine. I think he's doin a damn good job of keepin his temper
and you lil fucks oughta lay off!

White Dove
(Pardon my damn language, but I grew up in the country. Out
here shit is just another word for manure. And lately "gotta go write a Bob
Skir story" has been a synonym for "I need to go to the bathroom")

SLIMER1509

unread,
Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
to
>Look, sheep-boy. I don't lick anyone's boots and I don't much like your damn
>attitude.

Dove, you really need to turn this reply around and read it as it pertains to


yourself. Settle down. However, I see that you are quick to flame when your
own comments are turned on you (bootlicker or sheep--they have the same
connotation). Maybe now you will understand why you set people off with your
"sheep" messages.

>If there are mistakes it makes a hell of a lot more sense to me to admit them


>than to try to pretend they don't exist.

Who's pretending? If you hate the show, you see mistakes that may or may not


be there. If you love it, you don't. There are, of course, stages in between.
Stop trying to make you opinions sound like fact.

>I don't know how far you've got your


>head crammed up your ass, (btw, can you see the back of your own teeth like
>that?), but at least I have the consolation of knowing your life is likely to
>be fairly short if you like to go through it pretending everything is just
>fine
>all the time.
>When something is screwed up, you need to admit things are wrong if you're
>going to do a damn thing about it.
>I have a really short fuse, and I've noticed Neale's posts tend to be a hell
>of
>a lot nicer than mine. I think he's doin a damn good job of keepin his temper
>and you lil fucks oughta lay off!

My God, what set this off? I think you need some downtime, Dove. That was
really REALLY uncalled for.

Zero minus 6

unread,
Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
to

Slvrmist10 <slvrm...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:19991216223944...@ng-cr1.aol.com...

> >> >=> My only reply to the both of you would consist of what Larry once
> >> >said about
> >> >> Vectory Sigma.
> >> >
> >> > Larry's not in charge anymore.
> >>
> >> And boy does it show...
> >
> >Yeah, now his boot lickers are out in droves, flaming BM.
>
> Look, sheep-boy.

I see, you're not a boot licker, but I'm a sheep?

> I don't lick anyone's boots and I don't much like your damn
> attitude.

I don't particularly care for yours either.

> I've been trying to be on good holiday-like behavior recently

Right, Deck the halls and Bash BM I guess.

> and am
> really sick of jackasses like you.

Way to show your holiday spirit.

> If there are mistakes it makes a hell of a lot more sense to me to admit
them
> than to try to pretend they don't exist.

I suppose there were no mistakes in BW, or <gasp> even G1 for that matter.

> I don't know how far you've got your
> head crammed up your ass, (btw, can you see the back of your own teeth
like
> that?),

Maybe I should ask you, you seem to be the expert.

> but at least I have the consolation of knowing your life is likely to
> be fairly short if you like to go through it pretending everything is just
fine
> all the time.

I have no major problems with BM except Sensei Primal.

> When something is screwed up, you need to admit things are wrong if you're
> going to do a damn thing about it.

Did I miss something? What did we fix in BW?

> I have a really short fuse, and I've noticed Neale's posts tend to be a
hell of
> a lot nicer than mine. I think he's doin a damn good job of keepin his
temper
> and you lil fucks oughta lay off!

Once you have to resort to profanity, you lost the argument.

> And lately "gotta go write a Bob
> Skir story" has been a synonym for "I need to go to the bathroom")

As opposed to the in depth and awe inspiring G1 writing.

The Frozen Food Guy

unread,
Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
to
Who's Vectory Sigma?


Tyme

unread,
Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
to
Forgot your prozac, miss? =o)

~ Tyme
The Time Traveling Cat
"You're as obsessed as Primal !"

Joona I Palaste

unread,
Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
to
The Frozen Food Guy <Kevi...@webtv.net> scribbled the following:
: Who's Vectory Sigma?

"Vector Sigma", not "Vectory Sigma". It's the central computer of
Cybertron, which gave the Transformers life. This is seen in the G1
cartoon.

--
/-- Joona Palaste (pal...@cc.helsinki.fi) ---------------------------\
| Kingpriest of "The Flying Lemon Tree" G++ FR FW+ M- #80 D+ ADA N+++ |
| http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste W++ B OP+ |
\----------------------------------------- Finland rules! ------------/

Grindm...@webtv.net

unread,
Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
to
Mqan you hit it right on the head I totally agree send Bob Scare home
he suck in the transformers we need a true fan to writ for our show
OMICRON BETA SUPREME


Zero minus 6

unread,
Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
to

<Grindm...@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:11726-38...@storefull-133.iap.bryant.webtv.net...

> Mqan you hit it right on the head I totally agree send Bob Scare home
> he suck in the transformers we need a true fan to writ for our show
> OMICRON BETA SUPREME

Poor spelling, poor grammar, and a WebTV address. Thank you Microsoft!
Honestly, how do you expect anyone to take you seriously?

Zero minus 6

unread,
Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
to

AlexJ33106 <alexj...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:19991217201117...@ng-fv1.aol.com...

>
> >> RAG, RAG, RAG....... It never ends.....
>
> >I think it's because he has a bad case of head up the ass syndrome, which
> >has earned him a spot in many kill-files.
>
> Why? Because he's intelligently bashing a show you happen to enjoy? Or is
it
> because his(and other naysayers) remarks have a good point?

<snippity snip snip>

It's not that he doesn't have the right to voice his opinion, it's the fact
that every day, he comes on and says how much BM sucks, and that he won't
watch next week's episode. However, he DOES watch the episode, then
proceeds to say how much it sucked. He is not "intelligently" bashing the
show, he's stupidly bashing it. BM has done nothing worse than some of the
stuff we've seen on BW and G1.

Túrin

unread,
Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
to
AlexJ33106 wrote:
> Although it probably sounds like I'm venting my anger out at you, it's really
> directed at the majority of the fan base who fail to recognize that
> disagreements are welcome, and expected, in a newsgroup pertaining to a
> television series. Look at alt.tv.simpsons. EVERYONE there disagrees with each
> other.

No, they don't.

<GD&R>

Túrin

The (Unofficial) Official Beast Wars Non-Show Character Site
http://knoledge.org/NSCS/

Radio Free Cybertron
http://rfcybertron.cjb.net/

Transformers Fanfic and Related Junk
http://knoledge.org/mormegil/

Slvrmist10

unread,
Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
to
>Forgot your prozac, miss? =o)

Actually, ran low on chocolate, which for me is about as bad.
I'm doin much better now.
White Dove
(who doesn't take heavy meds, just herbal stuff...)

AlexJ33106

unread,
Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
to

>> RAG, RAG, RAG....... It never ends.....

>I think it's because he has a bad case of head up the ass syndrome, which
>has earned him a spot in many kill-files.

Why? Because he's intelligently bashing a show you happen to enjoy? Or is it
because his(and other naysayers) remarks have a good point?

As much as you may hate negative posts towards Beast Machines, I despise the
like of yours even more, which happen to be mindless drivel that attack someone
that disaproves of something in the TF mythos.

Although it probably sounds like I'm venting my anger out at you, it's really
directed at the majority of the fan base who fail to recognize that
disagreements are welcome, and expected, in a newsgroup pertaining to a
television series. Look at alt.tv.simpsons. EVERYONE there disagrees with each
other.

But the sad fact of the matter is, that forumn is much like ours; those who
critise new episodes of The Simpsons are often harrased for not enjoying every
second of Our Favorite Family. But it's impossible for a long-time fan to do
just that. When a character is way out of character, or a story-line is far too
wacky, many viewers do notice. And many viewers don't notice, so,
unfortunately, they inform those posters with a spotful eye that they are
wrong. Usually their responses consist of "It's a cartoon, idiots!", and the
classic "If you don't like it change the damn channel!"(Sound familiar?)

Maybe I'm speaking to you in too much of a mature manner. Go ahead and make ass
jokes at my whole reply; in fact, you can start right here with this comment:

"Beast Machines relies too much on action and chase, the animation lacks any
depth or realism, and the characters have evolved into something other than
themselves"(again, I'm not speaking to you in general, but to all the folks out
there who have nothing better to do than harrass others when they find fault in
something they like). Good-day

-Alex(The #2 Simpsons/Transformers Fan)

SPOOOOOOOOOOOON

unread,
Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
to
<<Although it probably sounds like I'm venting my anger out at you, it's really
directed at the majority of the fan base who fail to recognize that
disagreements are welcome, and expected, in a newsgroup pertaining to a
television series>>


Disagreements are one thing. But when certain fans decide to insult everyone
who fails to agree with their opinions (pro or con), it really doesn't matter
if it's well-written or utterly unreadable. It's childish at best. And quite
frankly the sheer level of pure venom being spread by fanatics on both side of
this subject every single week is wearing thin. That attitude is the last thing
this, or any, newsgroup needs. And if anyone decides to play that game, my hats
off to anyone who's willing to put the sod in question back in their place.


------------------------------------------------------
101 TOP THINGS TO DO AFTER WINNING THE $65M POWERBALL

#12: fund a new season of Reboot, so that Mairi Welman can
refocus on answering queries as to the coming of season five. <g>

Jack and Co.

unread,
Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
to
Grindm...@webtv.net wrote:
>
> Mqan you hit it right on the head I totally agree send Bob Scare home
> he suck in the transformers we need a true fan to writ for our show
> OMICRON BETA SUPREME
OOOOOOOOH. Can I tell this guy to shut up because he can't spell and
has never posted here before?

Octavulg, who also notes a WebTV address...

HFree95819

unread,
Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
to
>Disagreements are one thing. But when certain fans decide to insult everyone
>who fails to agree with their opinions (pro or con), it really doesn't matter
>if it's well-written or utterly unreadable. It's childish at best. And quite
>frankly the sheer level of pure venom being spread by fanatics on both side
>of
>this subject every single week is wearing thin. That attitude is the last
>thing
>this, or any, newsgroup needs. And if anyone decides to play that game, my
>hats
>off to anyone who's willing to put the sod in question back in their place.
>

This is coming from a "regular" on this NG that seems makes email replies to
rants on this NG (me in particular - granted I didnt clarify my point very
well....) then BLOCKS his email box from replies - even ones that are not going
to be offensive! Anyhoo...I agree that everyone has the right to disagree but
the "Talk to the Hand" schiznit is a just as annoying as the trolls.......oh
and BTW, whether or not the discussions will become less venomous - I doubt it
- flame wars are everywhere because of human nature and the openness and lack
of structure of the forum we are using here! The only forum of debate that the
trolls couldnt invade would be person to person because its impossible to have
a battle of wits with an unarmed person :)

Just my 1.5 cents....

Kranix99

Neale Davidson

unread,
Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
to
> Disagreements are one thing. But when certain fans decide to insult
everyone
> who fails to agree with their opinions (pro or con), it really doesn't
matter
> if it's well-written or utterly unreadable. It's childish at best. And
quite
> frankly the sheer level of pure venom being spread by fanatics on both
side of
> this subject every single week is wearing thin. That attitude is the last
thing
> this, or any, newsgroup needs. And if anyone decides to play that game, my
hats
> off to anyone who's willing to put the sod in question back in their
place.

Like you yourself have done on more than one occaision, Micheal. So let's
not be so hypocritical. You've been fairly free in throwing around insults
and
venom on your own right, and they're been far more personal than I've
actually
done.

The truth is that I've on occaision been harsher with some of the people
than
I should, and I apologize for that. Getting so many flames and threatening
emails
and posts have taken a major toll on me, and I've not always posted in a
decorum
that I would accept myself. I apologize for the group for those times I've
slipped as
a result of getting frustrated.

However, I do not now, and never will, feel the need to be silenced because
a
few people can't handle a television show being criticized. My opinion is
that Beast
Machines is a rather weak followup of what could have been. I have stated
my
problems with the show, and that's fine. I'll continue to do so.

You're as free not to read my posts as I am to post in the first place.

AlexJ33106

unread,
Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
to
<<Although it probably sounds like I'm venting my anger out at you, it's really
directed at the majority of the fan base who fail to recognize that
disagreements are welcome, and expected, in a newsgroup pertaining to a
television series>>

>Disagreements are one thing. But when certain fans decide to insult everyone


>who fails to agree with their opinions (pro or con), it really doesn't matter
>if it's well-written or utterly unreadable. It's childish at best. And quite
>frankly the sheer level of pure venom being spread by fanatics on both side of
>this subject every single week is wearing thin. That attitude is the last
thing
>this, or any, newsgroup needs. And if anyone decides to play that game, my
hats
>off to anyone who's willing to put the sod in question back in their place.

That was actually kind of my point. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough; I
thought saying "We can agree to disagree" would be a little too obvious ;P .

Anyway, I fully agree with you. I'm all for intelligent and well-written
arguments, though. That's partially what this newsgroup is for. I've had some
disagreements with people on this message board that never amounted to anything
big; in fact, neither of us flamed or harrased the other at any time. We
actually came to a somewhat mutual agreement through email. I forget this
fellow's name since our conversations started at about the beginning of BW
season 2, but I miss him. Take care. Good-day.

-Alex(The #2 Simpsons/Transformers Fan)


Slvrmist10

unread,
Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
to
Well, I'm glad someone managed to say what I would have intended to had my
short temper not gotten in the way again.

>Although it probably sounds like I'm venting my anger out at you, it's really
>directed at the majority of the fan base who fail to recognize that
>disagreements are welcome, and expected, in a newsgroup pertaining to a

>television series. Look at alt.tv.simpsons. EVERYONE there disagrees with
>each
>other.

I happen to LIKE the "arguments" myself. I even saved some of Neale's posts to
disk. What ticks me off (very badly) is when someone acts like nobody should
have an opinion. I read somewhere once that if any two people agree exactly on
everything, then one of them is irrelevant... I don't flame rational posts
supporting BM, and I don't like when someone flames rational posts from people
who don't like it.

White Dove
(As for myself, I just don't care anymore about the show. The exact
opposite of love isn't hate. It's total apathy. Neale must still see some
slight redeeming qualities in it to be able to hate it. For me it isn't worth
that.)

Neale Davidson

unread,
Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
to

> > Although it probably sounds like I'm venting my anger out at you, it's
really
> > directed at the majority of the fan base who fail to recognize that
> > disagreements are welcome, and expected, in a newsgroup pertaining to a
> > television series. Look at alt.tv.simpsons. EVERYONE there disagrees
with each
> > other.
>
> No, they don't.

I came here for a good argument, but this is just contradiction!

Neale Davidson

unread,
Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
to
> Hiyas, sorry to bother, but for some reason my browser didn't show your
review
> of the latest BM ep, and I was wondering if you could e-mail it to me.
They're
> really somewhat thereputic to read when having to deal with BM...

I didn't bother reviewing the episode, just made a few comments about it.
But, look
at it this way, BM's half-way over now. :)

Yakko Tank

unread,
Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
to

Neale Davidson wrote:

> > > Although it probably sounds like I'm venting my anger out at you, it's
> really
> > > directed at the majority of the fan base who fail to recognize that
> > > disagreements are welcome, and expected, in a newsgroup pertaining to a
> > > television series. Look at alt.tv.simpsons. EVERYONE there disagrees
> with each
> > > other.
> >
> > No, they don't.
>
> I came here for a good argument, but this is just contradiction!

An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish
a proposition.

No it isn't.

-Frank
(Oh, I'm sorry, this is Abuse.)
Bored? No better place to go than Yakko's Beast Wars Japan Page!
http://members.xoom.com/Yakko2564/bw.html

Neale Davidson

unread,
Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
to
> > I came here for a good argument, but this is just contradiction!

> An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish
> a proposition.
> No it isn't.

> (Oh, I'm sorry, this is Abuse.)

Abuse? Oh, that explains it then. Stupid git. :)

Vice Grip and Bladeless

unread,
Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
to
Neale Davidson wrote...

>> Hiyas, sorry to bother, but for some reason my browser didn't show your
>review
>> of the latest BM ep, and I was wondering if you could e-mail it to me.
>They're
>> really somewhat thereputic to read when having to deal with BM...
>
>I didn't bother reviewing the episode, just made a few comments about it.
>But, look
>at it this way, BM's half-way over now. :)

I like it when BM is halfway over...wait, did I say that out loud? :)

--
Yes, you have the right to your opinion, but you are 100% wrong.
There are always naysayers that will say nay.
I'm happier than a Terrorcon with two connector pegs!!
Wear a Stampy around your neck, you'll get chicks!
You can't surrender if you're always running away...

+ /| (http://www.wildrun.com/ ) |\ Help! My .sig
+ p / |(email: orio...@sprynet.com)| \ was stuck in a
+NNON| |NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN| |NN vise by
+ b \_|==============================|_/=O Dave Van Domelen!

TF Fancode: G+++ G1- G2+++ BW+++ MW+++ BM+ FR FW+ M++ #477 D+ AA+ N+++ W++
OP+ MUSH-- BC++ CN+ OM+ P357

AlexJ33106

unread,
Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99