Botcon.com update and the truth on Unicron

C Ratliff

Nov 29, 2001, 3:46:13 AM11/29/01
Botcon.com updated with the true story on Ubicron coming to botcon.....

!

Unicron is coming as a hard hero statue for the low low price of $150 check
it out...
http://www.botcon.com
Junior

TFG1 Bumblebee

Nov 29, 2001, 4:12:15 PM11/29/01
What the heck to do you mean by "low low price"? That's freakin high for a toy
that sits there and does NOTHING!!!!

People charge too much for crap.

____
NextGen Transformers
Discuss the newest addition to the TF Universe
http://www.msnusers.com/NextGenTransformers

BW Sidecutter

Nov 29, 2001, 4:37:38 PM11/29/01
>What the heck to do you mean by "low low price"? That's freakin high for a
>toy
>that sits there and does NOTHING!!!!

You have no concept of the prices that these kind of things usually cost, do
you? And that's when they're not even in "limited" production runs this small.
$150 is a perfectly fair price, whether or not it's worth $150 to you is
another matter.
BW Sidecutter
Http://connect.to/DSNPort91881

Captured Prey - Http://members.aol.com/capturedprey/capturedprey.html

Savage/Noble - Best TF of the 1st 1/2, 2001

Desperado00

Nov 29, 2001, 4:49:51 PM11/29/01
>You have no concept of the prices that these kind of things usually cost, do
>you? And that's when they're not even in "limited" production runs this
>small.
> $150 is a perfectly fair price, whether or not it's worth $150 to you is
>another matter.

You're joking, right? A big lump of resin molded to look like a character you
remember fondly from your childhood, and it's worth more than $150? HA! With
production costs and everything figured in, it's worth no more than $45, and
even that is a stretch.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

An egotist is a self-made man who worships his creator.

If we aren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

BW Sidecutter

Nov 29, 2001, 4:54:07 PM11/29/01
>You're joking, right? A big lump of resin molded to look like a character
>you
>remember fondly from your childhood, and it's worth more than $150? HA!
>With
>production costs and everything figured in, it's worth no more than $45, and
>even that is a stretch.

Yep, no idea whatsoever...

Iron Wookiee

Nov 29, 2001, 6:33:21 PM11/29/01
>>You're joking, right? A big lump of resin molded to look like a character
>>you
>>remember fondly from your childhood, and it's worth more than $150? HA!
>>With
>>production costs and everything figured in, it's worth no more than $45, and
>>even that is a stretch.
>
>Yep, no idea whatsoever...

Perhaps he's got the right idea... You've just got a wallet bigger
than your brain... ;)

A.Patyk

Nov 30, 2001, 12:15:17 AM11/30/01
A freaking Unicron *statue* for $150? How ridiculous. Why not a 14"
POSEABLE PVC for less than half that? I was going to order the Unicron toy
when I thought it WAS A TOY...bleah.

ThePaw

Nov 29, 2001, 9:59:06 PM11/29/01
wrait...@aol.com (BW Sidecutter) wrote in message news:<20011129165407...@mb-da.aol.com>...

> >You're joking, right? A big lump of resin molded to look like a character
> >you
> >remember fondly from your childhood, and it's worth more than $150? HA!
> >With
> >production costs and everything figured in, it's worth no more than $45, and
> >even that is a stretch.
>
> Yep, no idea whatsoever...

Heh, for some reason I find this exchange has very funny. Mmm...too much to drink.

-onNu

Paul Segal

Nov 30, 2001, 12:02:12 AM11/30/01
>Subject: Re: Botcon.com update and the truth on Unicron
>From: tfbum...@aol.com (TFG1 Bumblebee)
>Date: 11/29/01 4:12 PM Eastern Standard Time

>What the heck to do you mean by "low low price"? That's freakin high for a
>toy that sits there and does NOTHING!!!!

It's not a toy.
It's a statue.
Statues are SUPPOSED to sit there.
Well, traditional ones anyway.

-Paul Segal
Email: aster...@yahoo.com ICQ: 24024819 AIM: asterphage

Aaron F. Bourque

Nov 30, 2001, 12:07:42 AM11/30/01
From: jask...@aol.com (Paul Segal)

>>From: tfbum...@aol.com (TFG1 Bumblebee)
>>What the heck to do you mean by "low low price"? That's
>>freakin high for a toy that sits there and does NOTHING!!!!
>
>It's not a toy.
>It's a statue.
>Statues are SUPPOSED to sit there.
>Well, traditional ones anyway.

Not like that post-modern classic "dipping bird" statue.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque

--
http://delinquents.keenspace.com/d/20010703.html
Damn the tree and all its kind!

Irrellius Spam of the Potato People

Nov 30, 2001, 1:13:25 AM11/30/01
<< It's not a toy.
It's a statue. >>

Even more reason why that's too expensive for it. I'd really love one, but the
most I'd ever spend on one is about $80.

If it could move, or transform, I'd pay twice the price, assuming I ever get an
extra $300

Al-
http://www.Angelfire.com/mi2/Ob1kenoby/
"I wish i had to defend the earth from the darkness."-TrypticonX
"I dream the Spainish channel will have subtitles, so I finally know what I've
been laughing at."
Join the guns make fun program today!

Pyre

Nov 30, 2001, 1:48:04 AM11/30/01
TFG1 Bumblebee wrote:

> What the heck to do you mean by "low low price"? That's freakin high for a toy
> that sits there and does NOTHING!!!!

It's a statue, not a toy. It's also a limited run, not to mention really big.

--
Pyre[Rock] - pyres...@crosswinds.net
http://pyresdomain.crosswinds.net/

Iron Wookiee

Nov 30, 2001, 1:57:51 AM11/30/01
>> What the heck to do you mean by "low low price"? That's freakin high for a toy
>> that sits there and does NOTHING!!!!
>
>It's a statue, not a toy. It's also a limited run, not to mention really big.

Eh... Limited isn't an excuse for price-gouging...

And "Really Big" is only 14." With the Blue Bolts on his shoulders,
Omega Prime beats that.

Hell, the 14" probably includes the Cybertron base. Without the base,
he'd be 12" at the most- wings included. At that height, he'd be as
tall as Landfill and Rail Racer.

To be honest, do you REALLY want a Unicron that could be beaten by
Wedge? ;)

Mecha Usagi

Nov 30, 2001, 1:54:47 AM11/30/01
A statue?

I'm dissapointed?

I knew a Fort-Max sized toy was out of the question, so I was hoping for an
Omega Supreme sized poseable PVC figure.

And the price of $150?

Ugh! Hasn't 3H charged us all enough allready?

--
Mecha Usagi
"The funny little bunny with the guns."

"C Ratliff" <liok...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

Stranger

Nov 29, 2001, 5:43:11 PM11/29/01
Desperado00 <despe...@aol.com> wrote in message

> You're joking, right? A big lump of resin molded to look like a character
you
> remember fondly from your childhood, and it's worth more than $150? HA!
With
> production costs and everything figured in, it's worth no more than $45,
and
> even that is a stretch

Dude, do you know how much statues even go for? You think the large Marvel
or Lord of the Ring statues are selling for $45?

--
Stranger- Impulse's #1 fan, next to Max of course.

Y2Bogus

Nov 30, 2001, 9:01:53 AM11/30/01

"Stranger" <Phantom-...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote in message

> Desperado00 <despe...@aol.com> wrote in message
>
> > You're joking, right? A big lump of resin molded to look like a
character
> you
> > remember fondly from your childhood, and it's worth more than $150? HA!
> With
> > production costs and everything figured in, it's worth no more than $45,
> and
> > even that is a stretch
>
> Dude, do you know how much statues even go for? You think the large
Marvel
> or Lord of the Ring statues are selling for $45?

Bah, if I wanted spend 150 bucks on a statue, I'd get a Brave Max.

DONNY REB

Nov 30, 2001, 9:14:23 AM11/30/01

Charles Calhoun

Nov 30, 2001, 1:39:25 PM11/30/01
B...@Bob.com (Iron Wookiee) wrote in message news:<3c072d38...@news.qx.net>...

> >> What the heck to do you mean by "low low price"? That's freakin high for a toy
> >> that sits there and does NOTHING!!!!
> >
> >It's a statue, not a toy. It's also a limited run, not to mention really big.
>
> Eh... Limited isn't an excuse for price-gouging...

There are set costs for creating molds, and so forth. The more copies
they make, the more they can spread out that cost. If it's limited,
then each individual unit has to absorb a greater amount of that cost.
Are you capable of understanding this simple, SIMPLE logic? Would
you mind not throwing around accusations of price gouging? Thanks.

Charles Calhoun

Nov 30, 2001, 1:43:44 PM11/30/01
"Mecha Usagi" <sba...@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<X2GN7.5060$Rw2.3...@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com>...

> Ugh! Hasn't 3H charged us all enough allready?

Considering the fact that most Botcons put 3H into debt, no, they
clearly haven't charged us enough already.

Quag Prime

Nov 30, 2001, 2:04:26 PM11/30/01
VAMPY...@webtv.net (DONNY REB) wrote in message news:<5634-3C0...@storefull-255.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...
> Ungrateful bastards...

How's that?

Steve-o Stonebraker

Nov 30, 2001, 3:23:56 PM11/30/01
On 30 Nov 2001 10:39:25 -0800, Charles Calhoun wrote:
> B...@Bob.com (Iron Wookiee) wrote in message news:<3c072d38...@news.qx.net>...
> > Eh... Limited isn't an excuse for price-gouging...
>
> There are set costs for creating molds, and so forth. The more copies
> they make, the more they can spread out that cost. If it's limited,
> then each individual unit has to absorb a greater amount of that cost.
> Are you capable of understanding this simple, SIMPLE logic? Would
> you mind not throwing around accusations of price gouging? Thanks.

Not to mention... there's this amazing concept in the world of free will
called "if it costs more than you think it is worth, don't buy it". The
only reason to be *angry* about a high price is if it's something that you
have no choice but to buy. Then, you kind of have to rely on the supplier
to charge something you can afford. For luxery items, you simply buy or
don't buy. Nobody is required to own a gigantic Unicron statue. It costs
X dollars to design, sculpt, and mold a prototype and to then cast,
decorate, package, and ship Y copies of that prototype. If you don't
want to pay that amount, don't. But don't complain that it's *their*
fault that you don't like the product enough to pay for it, or that you
"have to" pay more than you want to when you buy it anyway.

I would love to have a big Unicron statue, but it's not worth $150 to me.
So I'm not going to buy one unless I see a photo of the statue that makes
it look better to me than the Khanna design we've seen; I wasn't too fond
of the proportions. If the statue comes out more akin to the way I
picture Unicron in my head, then its worth to me will increase. But
increase all the way to $150? Doubtful. So, I'll just examine somebody
else's, say, "wow, that's a dang fine statue", and go along my merry way.

Also keep in mind that the price-per-item does not increase just linearly
with the number produced. (That is, making half as many doesn't mean they
cost twice as much.) The price increase for fewer and fewer items is
gigantic because the costs of development and marketing have to be spread
out among fewer and fewer sales. *That* is the reason that small-run
limited edition products are really expensive. It has nothing to do with
them being "worth more" because of being "more collectible".

--Steve-o

Hydra & Buster's Masterforce/Victory subtitling project needs donations!
*** http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/hantaakiraa/pt/fansub.html ***
Steve R Stonebraker | Transformers FAQ Keeper | Astrophysicist
srst...@yahoo.com | http://astro.bu.edu/~srstoneb/ | AOL IM: srstoneb

Quag Prime

Nov 30, 2001, 3:46:07 PM11/30/01
B...@Bob.com (Iron Wookiee) wrote in message news:<3c072d38...@news.qx.net>...
> >> What the heck to do you mean by "low low price"? That's freakin high for a toy
> >> that sits there and does NOTHING!!!!

No, it stands there and looks freakin' AWESOME!!!!

> >It's a statue, not a toy. It's also a limited run, not to mention really big.

...and high quality. Have you seen Hard Hero's other work? This
thing ain't plastic or resin, it's cold cast porcilin.

> Eh... Limited isn't an excuse for price-gouging...

How do you price-gouge something that isn't a nessesity? If they
can't make a profit on the thing, the price will be lowered to
minimize their losses. That won't happen because 3H has better
business sense than that. Don't complain just because it's out of
your price range (we don't complain that Porche price-gouges their
vehicles do we?). That's just the way the economy works.

> And "Really Big" is only 14." With the Blue Bolts on his shoulders,
> Omega Prime beats that.
>
> Hell, the 14" probably includes the Cybertron base. Without the base,
> he'd be 12" at the most- wings included. At that height, he'd be as
> tall as Landfill and Rail Racer.

Even if you count the base, the 14" tall Unicron porcelin statue is
still "really big". Especially if you consider the fact that this
thing will be maybe a foot wide counting the wings.

Landfill and Rail Racer ain't cold cast porcilin statues. Which, BTW
are great pieces of contemporary art, far more convincing on your
mantle or piano top (esp. if one has a wife that frowns on "toys"
these places).

> To be honest, do you REALLY want a Unicron that could be beaten by
> Wedge? ;)

Wedge don't hold a candle to THIS Unicron.

-Quag

Still uncertain about Botcon this year, but I've already ordered my
Chaos Bringer. ;-)

Robowang keeper of the magic beans

Nov 30, 2001, 4:23:12 PM11/30/01
The FAQ says that with the base, it stands a good 18 inches tall.

Robowang, Master of Mantasticness

Cold outside? Enough to shrivel your goods?
Enter the House of 'Wang!
http://www.100megsfree2.com/robowang/houseofwang.html

Paul Segal

Nov 30, 2001, 10:31:49 PM11/30/01
>Subject: Re: Botcon.com update and the truth on Unicron
>From: "Stranger" Phantom-...@mail.utexas.edu
>Date: 11/29/01 5:43 PM Eastern Standard Time

>Desperado00 <despe...@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>> You're joking, right? A big lump of resin molded to look like a character
>you
>> remember fondly from your childhood, and it's worth more than $150? HA!
>With
>> production costs and everything figured in, it's worth no more than $45,
>and
>> even that is a stretch
>
>Dude, do you know how much statues even go for? You think the large Marvel
>or Lord of the Ring statues are selling for $45?

Well, those large DC statues sold for about that much at the WB stores, but
they were fairly simple designs in terms of detail.
I wish I'd picked up that awesome Riddler...

Necrotron

Dec 1, 2001, 1:30:27 AM12/1/01

> Also keep in mind that the price-per-item does not increase just linearly
> with the number produced. (That is, making half as many doesn't mean they
> cost twice as much.) The price increase for fewer and fewer items is
> gigantic because the costs of development and marketing have to be spread
> out among fewer and fewer sales. *That* is the reason that small-run
> limited edition products are really expensive. It has nothing to do with
> them being "worth more" because of being "more collectible".
>
> --Steve-o

One problem,

What exactly is "limited" about "as many as we can get orders for" and
"discounts for quantities over 10" A "created" collectible is only worth
something to people who care about that particular item. I am with you
about the price. Considering it will probably be made out of the same
amount of material as a HH "bust", the price is waaaaaaaaaaay to high for
me. Now if it were bronze or something durable and not prone to deforming
and melting, I'd say $150 is still to much.

Necrotron
Who would pay twice that for an actual Unicron transformer, twice or three
times over.
Hey that gives me an idea for a thread....

A.Patyk

Dec 1, 2001, 5:24:12 AM12/1/01

Charles Calhoun wrote in message
<89b340c6.01113...@posting.google.com>...

Then why not charge an exorbitant fee for something worthwhile, like a TOY
instead of a STATUE?

Quag Prime

Dec 1, 2001, 2:38:02 AM12/1/01
robo...@aol.com (Robowang keeper of the magic beans) wrote in message news:<20011130162312...@mb-fc.aol.com>...

> The FAQ says that with the base, it stands a good 18 inches tall.

18 inches tall!?!?!? SIGN ME UP!!!!!!

Zobovor the Caffeine Addict

Dec 1, 2001, 3:08:18 AM12/1/01
A. Patyk wrote:

>Then why not charge an exorbitant fee for something worthwhile, like a
>TOY instead of a STATUE?

Actually, I think a limited-edition toy would cost even more to produce than
the statue. Even if it were just an action figure with a minimum of moving
parts instead of a full-blown transforming toy... you just couldn't justify a
production run of only hundreds or even thousands.

Statues are a lot easier to do because they are, essentially, one piece. One
set of molds, no complicated engineering or tooling required. For some people,
having a physical representation of Unicron is enough. I can appreciate that.
Given the inherent fragility of such an item, coupled with my lack of display
room and the exorbitant cost, though, it's just not for me.

On the other hand, I'd be tickled pink to get a Unicron PVC. Even a tiny one.
Something I could hold in my hands and not worry too much over breaking it.
Something I wouldn't have to shell out a quarter of a month's rent for. :)

Zobovor... and there's just something inherently appealing to me about the
notion of a tiny little Unicron toy. He'd be the devourer of small pebbles...
wait, that's Punicron. Well, you get the idea.

Stranger

Nov 30, 2001, 10:33:43 PM11/30/01
Paul Segal <jask...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Well, those large DC statues sold for about that much at the WB stores,
but
> they were fairly simple designs in terms of detail.
> I wish I'd picked up that awesome Riddler...

Weren;t they also made of cheap material? Too bad the WB store closed- they
did have some neat items.

Bombblast17

Dec 1, 2001, 8:10:50 AM12/1/01
I just wish they could have done a little better job on springing this on us.
While $150 is something I could swing with some advance notice, putting a
limited, high-end priced statue for a preorder (where you're charged now
instead of in 6 months later when it's released) four weeks before christmas is
a bit more than the common person can handle. I'm hopeing there will still be
some available after christmas, but I fear dealers wanting to turn a quick
buck on ebay will dash that. Also, some concept art or a prototype would have
been nice. Did they even announce who was sculpting it? I'd be pretty ticked
to spend a 150 bucks on an a bad sculpt.

toonking

Tom Walsh

Dec 1, 2001, 9:07:02 AM12/1/01
"Zobovor the Caffeine Addict" <zob...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Zobovor... and there's just something inherently appealing to me about the
> notion of a tiny little Unicron toy. He'd be the devourer of small
pebbles...
> wait, that's Punicron. Well, you get the idea.

Heh, I haven't used that name in ages...I might change back if I got my own
toy though, that'd be cool :)

As long as I got a decent tech-spec quote - I'm thinking "My bargaining
position is highly dubious..."

Tom W, reformed pebble-eater

Stranger

Dec 1, 2001, 1:46:16 AM12/1/01
Necrotron <necr...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> What exactly is "limited" about "as many as we can get orders for" and
> "discounts for quantities over 10" A "created" collectible is only worth
> something to people who care about that particular item. I am with you
> about the price. Considering it will probably be made out of the same
> amount of material as a HH "bust", the price is waaaaaaaaaaay to high for
> me. Now if it were bronze or something durable and not prone to deforming
> and melting, I'd say $150 is still to much.

Metal statues are way way more expensive than the porcelain statues. Can
you name any other 14" statue that's been released...ever...made of bronze
that retailed for less than $150?

Stranger

Dec 1, 2001, 2:01:05 AM12/1/01

> Metal statues are way way more expensive than the porcelain statues. Can
> you name any other 14" statue that's been released...ever...made of bronze
> that retailed for less than $150?

Just an addendum- that paraygraph is supposed to mean that metal statues of
that size cost way more than $150. At least $250- more commonly above $300.

Walkerton

Dec 1, 2001, 11:40:54 AM12/1/01
> > Well, those large DC statues sold for about that much at the WB stores,
> but
> > they were fairly simple designs in terms of detail.
> > I wish I'd picked up that awesome Riddler...
>
> Weren;t they also made of cheap material? Too bad the WB store closed-
they
> did have some neat items.

The DC maquettes were made out of ... resin, I think? Heh, I'm no sure, and
I *sold* those to people. Well, it was a while ago. Each statue was about
10
inches tall and sold for (guess what?) 150 dollars. And these were limited
edition
replications of what the animators are given as reference models.

Now, if we're going to talk about stuff made out of the same material as
Unicron,
Goebel made some porcelain statue-y things based on famous Warner Bros
cartoon
scenes. For instance, there was a Rabbit of Seville and MJ Frog and Bugs
all
dressed up in drag and Taz and Taz She-Devil and so on.

But the enlightening thing is...

Let's take the smallest one, the Michigan J Frog. This was a pretty small
piece. You
could hold it in the palm of your hand and it wouldn't be more than a pound.
This
cost 170 dollars.

The standard size for them cost about 300-400 dollars. The standard size
was about
a 10-by-4-inch wide base and 4-inch characters on top of that. (The
roadrunner/
coyote Goebel was kickass.) The largest, about the size of a huge dinner
platter,
was 1000 bucks.

And yes, these were all porcelain, just like Unicron will be. And Unicron
will probably
be made out of more material than that $1000 piece. For 1/10th the cost.
For
1/10th the number of pieces produced.

Taken in that context, that of mainstream porcelain collectables, Unicron is
FANTASTIC deal.

--David

Paul Segal

Dec 1, 2001, 12:52:10 PM12/1/01
>Subject: Re: Botcon.com update and the truth on Unicron
>From: "Stranger" Phantom-...@mail.utexas.edu
>Date: 11/30/01 10:33 PM Eastern Standard Time

>Paul Segal <jask...@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>> Well, those large DC statues sold for about that much at the WB stores,
>but
>> they were fairly simple designs in terms of detail.
>> I wish I'd picked up that awesome Riddler...
>

>Weren;t they also made of cheap material?

Dunno; never actually got any. Just pointing out that some large licensed
statues are cheap.

>Too bad the WB store closed- they
>did have some neat items.

Yeah, all the beanie cartoon characters you want :)

Paul Segal

Dec 1, 2001, 12:55:12 PM12/1/01
>Subject: Re: Botcon.com update and the truth on Unicron
>From: "Walkerton" wii...@hotmail.com
>Date: 12/1/01 11:40 AM Eastern Standard Time

>> > Well, those large DC statues sold for about that much at the WB stores,
>> but
>> > they were fairly simple designs in terms of detail.
>> > I wish I'd picked up that awesome Riddler...
>>
>> Weren;t they also made of cheap material? Too bad the WB store closed-
>they
>> did have some neat items.
>
>The DC maquettes were made out of ... resin, I think? Heh, I'm no sure, and
>I *sold* those to people. Well, it was a while ago. Each statue was about
>10
>inches tall and sold for (guess what?) 150 dollars. And these were limited
>edition
>replications of what the animators are given as reference models.

The one I'm talking about, according to this review:

http://www.comicbookgalaxy.com/columnists/crawford/reviews_120800.html

Is 14" and sold for $45.

Walkerton

Dec 1, 2001, 1:25:07 PM12/1/01
> >The DC maquettes were made out of ... resin, I think? Heh, I'm no sure,
and
> >I *sold* those to people. Well, it was a while ago. Each statue was
about
> >10
> >inches tall and sold for (guess what?) 150 dollars. And these were
limited
> >edition
> >replications of what the animators are given as reference models.
>
> The one I'm talking about, according to this review:
>
> http://www.comicbookgalaxy.com/columnists/crawford/reviews_120800.html
>
> Is 14" and sold for $45.

....oh, god, THOSE.

Those weren't even part of the Warner Bros gallery. They were mass-release
sort of things with no limit to how many they could make. They were made
out
of resin, looked like crap, chipped like a bopped bag of Doritos, and had
really
sloppy paint jobs. Poison Ivy looked HORRIBLE.

They're certainly a cheaper alternative. Very, very cheap.

--David
www.itswalky.com

Steve-o Stonebraker

Dec 1, 2001, 1:49:17 PM12/1/01
On Sat, 1 Dec 2001 02:24:12 -0800, A.Patyk wrote:
> Then why not charge an exorbitant fee for something worthwhile, like a TOY
> instead of a STATUE?

*Nothing* related to Unicron is "worthwhile" because he is a fictional
character that your life does not require for its continuence. This item,
like all Transformers, is something that you buy if you like it enough to
pay for it. No one is holding a gun to your head saying that you must
purchase it.

Jack & Co.

Dec 1, 2001, 5:20:07 PM12/1/01
The Colossus of Rhodes probably ran pretty cheap, what with the exchange rates
of African countries and all.

Octavulg

ShadowWing

Dec 1, 2001, 7:00:39 PM12/1/01
I just rechecked the page, and the first five hundred will be #ed
exclusives (which for some reason *does* mean more to certain
collectors--just ask Star Wars or Star Trek collectors or the folks at QVC
and other shopping channels) and will include an exclusive MIP toy. Plus the
statue will be in a G1-style package, which might be part of the cost.
| HEROIC AUTOBOT ^ ^ {ShadowWing} |
| AMONG MAXIMALS |()| { transfan} |
| [CYBERTRON] \/ Ż||Ż||Ż||ŻŻ |
|ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Ż Ż ŻŻŻŻŻŻ|
|Function: /\ /\ str: 7.0|
|Guardian / \ ()/ \ int: 8.5|
|Motto:"One's true / /\ o[]o/\ \ spd: 9.0|
|form lies within." / ——o—[]—o—— \ end: 7.0|
|Survivor of every / / / 00 \ \ \rnk: 6.0|
|Transformer war. 00 cor:10.0|
|More information on line ^^ fire:5.4|
|Visit THE TRANSFORMATION ZONE skl: 9.2|
|http://pages.cthome.net/ShadowWing |
|last updated on 4/1/2001 AD |
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

ShadowWing

Dec 1, 2001, 7:00:59 PM12/1/01

Bombblast17 wrote

>I'm hopeing there will still be some available after christmas, but I
>fear dealers wanting to turn a quick buck on ebay will dash that.

I think this is the big problem with "releasing" this now. Many people
are already spending big buck on Christmas presents, and may already have
other expenses (like bills) to spend money on. It might of been a better
idea to wait until after New Years, when people would of begun bringing
their finances back up.

A.Patyk

Dec 1, 2001, 10:33:07 PM12/1/01

Steve-o Stonebraker wrote in message ...

>On Sat, 1 Dec 2001 02:24:12 -0800, A.Patyk wrote:
>> Then why not charge an exorbitant fee for something worthwhile, like a
TOY
>> instead of a STATUE?
>
>*Nothing* related to Unicron is "worthwhile" because he is a fictional
>character that your life does not require for its continuence. This item,
>like all Transformers, is something that you buy if you like it enough to
>pay for it. No one is holding a gun to your head saying that you must
>purchase it.

Way to misunderstand. My point was exactly that: if they want to charge an
exorbitant fee, make a Transformers TOY of Unicron, at least a PVC. It is a
TOY line. Therefore a "toy" would be a more worthwhile addition to the line
than an extraneous collectible. Your mileage may vary.

Brian Kilby

Dec 1, 2001, 8:32:54 PM12/1/01

"A.Patyk" <paty...@msu.edu> wrote in message

> Steve-o Stonebraker wrote in message ...
> >On Sat, 1 Dec 2001 02:24:12 -0800, A.Patyk wrote:
> >> Then why not charge an exorbitant fee for something worthwhile, like a
> TOY
> >> instead of a STATUE?
> >
> >*Nothing* related to Unicron is "worthwhile" because he is a fictional
> >character that your life does not require for its continuence. This
item,
> >like all Transformers, is something that you buy if you like it enough to
> >pay for it. No one is holding a gun to your head saying that you must
> >purchase it.
> >

> It is a TOY line.

Uh...huh. Last I checked The Transformers wasn't just a toy line. There are
TV series, comic series, lunch box(es) and scores of other non-toy items
with Transformers stamped on it. Luckily, Botcon is a Transformers
convention. Not a toy convention.

Even if the price were exorbitant (and it's certainly not), 3H is doing a
service to all the nostalgia-loving fans out there by providing this piece.
Toy or no. In fact, I'm far more inclined to pay $150 for a _nice_ statue
than I am a crummy toy that turns into a damn beach ball.

Paul Segal

Dec 1, 2001, 8:54:39 PM12/1/01
>Subject: Re: Botcon.com update and the truth on Unicron
>From: "Walkerton" wii...@hotmail.com
>Date: 12/1/01 1:25 PM Eastern Standard Time

Ah, I see. Great sculpt on that Riddler, though.

Walkerton

Dec 1, 2001, 9:04:29 PM12/1/01
> I think this is the big problem with "releasing" this now. Many people
> are already spending big buck on Christmas presents, and may already have
> other expenses (like bills) to spend money on. It might of been a better
> idea to wait until after New Years, when people would of begun bringing
> their finances back up.

So then buy one after New Years. Problem solved. /:)

--David
geeeez...
www.itswalky.com

Hooper X

Dec 1, 2001, 9:37:38 PM12/1/01
I hate you all.

You don't HAVE TO HAVE a fucking Unicron. You can live the rest of your
natural goddamned lives without a giant piece of porcelain shaped like a
retarded plot device from a crappy movie.

That being said, I'm buying two. One to keep, and one to play with.

-HX

"I must kill you, because God told me to." -Tigatron(?)

"Vooral die smeerlap van een Hooper X !! QWe hate yopu !!!!!!!!" -Drunken
Dutchmen

www.sexsexworld.com <-PLEASE KILL MY LONELY.

To contact me, take off that stupid looking hat you wear.

DarkClaw

Dec 2, 2001, 5:43:59 AM12/2/01
On 02 Dec 2001 02:37:38 GMT, emar...@aol.comuglyhat (Hooper X) wrote:

>That being said, I'm buying two. One to keep, and one to play with.

Don't forget at least one or two more to keep and eventually sell
later on at inflated prices.

-- DC; And let's not forget about repaints

"Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you
aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a
kneecap off the world..."
--Spider Jerusalem, "Transmetropolitan"

A.Patyk

Dec 2, 2001, 4:26:00 PM12/2/01

Brian Kilby wrote in message <3c098...@corp-goliath.newsgroups.com>...

>Uh...huh. Last I checked The Transformers wasn't just a toy line. There are
>TV series, comic series, lunch box(es) and scores of other non-toy items
>with Transformers stamped on it. Luckily, Botcon is a Transformers
>convention. Not a toy convention.

Thanks for that bit of wonderful info. TRANSFORMERS is a toy line. It is a
toy line that has a successful series of cartoons and comics to support its
mythos, but it is still a toy line. That said, when one of those important
story characters (who has not yet appeared as a TOY) is being released for
the first time, I'd prefer for it to be something along the lines of a toy,
poseable PVC, etc. instead of just an immobile, expensive hunk of rock.

Doug Kern

Dec 2, 2001, 2:06:16 PM12/2/01
In article <9ubs6j$289s$1...@msunews.cl.msu.edu>, "A.Patyk"
<paty...@msu.edu> wrote:

See this link for that answer

http://www.botcon.com/forsale/unifaq.html

That explains fully why 3H can't have a toy.

--
Doug Kern
AKA

Walkerton

Dec 2, 2001, 2:08:56 PM12/2/01
> Thanks for that bit of wonderful info. TRANSFORMERS is a toy line. It is
> toy line that has a successful series of cartoons and comics to support
its
> mythos, but it is still a toy line. That said, when one of those
important
> story characters (who has not yet appeared as a TOY) is being released for
> the first time, I'd prefer for it to be something along the lines of a
toy,
> poseable PVC, etc. instead of just an immobile, expensive hunk of rock.

SO THEN DON'T BUY IT.

No one is REQUIRING YOU TO BUY IT.

Guess what? 3H can't make toys. They don't have the income. They don't
have the know-how. But guess what? They can sponsor a statue! Gee!
We can't get a Unicron toy, so why not try to get a statue, at the very
least?
Maybe make some people happy that we get the first representation of a
character
ever, for the first time?

NO.

PEOPLE WILL BITCH AT YOU BECAUSE IT ISN'T EXACTLY WHAT
THEY WANT.

People SUCK.

God, I hate this fandom. Sometimes I wonder why 3H even TRIES.

--David
GOD DAMMIT.
www.itswalky.com

Hooper X

Dec 2, 2001, 4:04:46 PM12/2/01
Blah blah blah Walky blah blah:

>God, I hate this fandom. Sometimes I wonder why 3H even TRIES.

They're in it for the mad phat hoochies, man. Organizing BotCon gets you
SERIOUS play.

-HX, bling bling.

Tengu

Dec 2, 2001, 4:44:08 PM12/2/01
"A.Patyk" <paty...@msu.edu> wrote in message news:<9ubs6j$289s$1...@msunews.cl.msu.edu>...

> Way to misunderstand. My point was exactly that: if they want to charge an
> exorbitant fee, make a Transformers TOY of Unicron, at least a PVC. It is a
> TOY line. Therefore a "toy" would be a more worthwhile addition to the line
> than an extraneous collectible. Your mileage may vary.

I see. You're of the opinion that $150.00 is an exorbitant price to
pay for a limited edition cold-cast porcelain statue of Unicron, a
statue that has been specifically commissioned by 3H based on fan
comments and which features a price that, regardless of what some
people seem to believe, is remarkably competitive when compared with
other such collectibles currently on the market. I can understand
that. Even more, you'd rather have a Unicron toy at the same price,
or from what you seem to indicate you'd rather have a Unicron toy at a
less "exorbitant" price. Just so I have a handle on where you're
coming from.

First and foremost, you appear to have no idea of what costs are
involved in creating a toy exclusive, or more specifically in the
context of this discussion, a toy exclusive that is not based on
existing tooling or production models. If I may be so bold, allow me
to enlighten you. If the 3H gang were at some point capable of
producing, by themselves, an actual factual honest-to-heaven
transforming/articulated/mold-manufactured toy of Unicron, the final
cost to you, the convention-goer, would quite possibly be in the range
of several thousand dollars per unit. This retail price would
probably factor in the hundreds of thousands of dollars necessary to
have the toy designed, tooled, and produced. It might also account
for the thousands upon thousands of dollars which would no doubt be
spent during safety testing, engineering re-works, and for licensing
fees to the company which owns the rights to this character (Hasbro).
It would, of course, also include the shameful cost of allowing 3H to
gain a profit from the sale of such a toy, or perhaps even to repay
the several Hasbro engineers and designers who already work sixteen
hour days and who I'm sure wouldn't mind not seeing their families for
a year or so while the details of "the exclusive BotCon Unicron toy"
are worked out. Oh, and I'm sure 3H would cover the costs of
packaging for the toy, because it would most likely be nothing more
extravagant than a Ziploc bag - simply because any other packaging
attempts might double the cost of the toy, which, in its final state,
would measure upwards of an impressive five inches tall.

I realize that a lot of people have this wonderful fan-dream of a
giant, transforming Unicron toy that will cost them
maybe-even-as-much-as-150-bucks that they can play with for ten
minutes and then put up on a shelf to gather dust for several months.
Unfortunately, it isn't going to happen if you're looking for 3H to be
the company to *make* it happen. So, if you're inclined to view the
Transformers universe and its cast of characters as more than just an
excuse to make plastic robots, the Unicron statue might be up your
alley. If not, you can sit idly by, *not* purchase a Unicron statue,
and be thankful that you are not one of those crazy people willing to
spend 150 bucks on some silly object that will only sit on their shelf
and gather dust for several months.

It's always nice to have options.

Tengu:<>

superspy

Dec 2, 2001, 5:17:23 PM12/2/01
"A.Patyk" <paty...@msu.edu> took a deep breath, fired a few neurons,
and then said news:9udr28$hik$1...@msunews.cl.msu.edu:

> Brian Kilby wrote in message
> <3c098...@corp-goliath.newsgroups.com>...

> Thanks for that bit of wonderful info. TRANSFORMERS is a toy line.

> It is a toy line that has a successful series of cartoons and comics
> to support its mythos, but it is still a toy line. That said, when
> one of those important story characters (who has not yet appeared as a
> TOY) is being released for the first time, I'd prefer for it to be
> something along the lines of a toy, poseable PVC, etc. instead of just
> an immobile, expensive hunk of rock.

I want to thank you, it's been so long since I've had the chance to tell
someone to get their head out of their ass, I do miss that. Brian's
point, which I'm sure flew over your head faster than Chuck Yeager
strapped to a fucking rocket pack was that Transfomers' roots are in a
toyline, but there's enough auxillary, non-toy merchandise out there
that's just as cool (or not).

This Unicron statue is one of those things, why you can't fathom this
decision is a complete mystery. The reasons for Unicron (e.g., Neo) not
appearing as a transformable toy have been belabored to death, I'm not
going to repeat them; likewise, the reasoning for the price of the Hard
Hero statue has also been explained adequetly. If you've got such a hard
on for a poseable Unicron toy, go make one your damned self. Seriously,
the whining, bitching, and general attitude of people around here when
things don't go EXACTLY their way is nauseating. Oh boo-hoo-hoo, cry me a
river. 3H does something incredibly cool and you take it as an affront to
the fandom because you can't *play* with it? Way to piss on them.

'spy, God, I hope you don't go to Botcon. I hate the people that bitch
bitch bitch bitch bitch, especially at the 3H panel.

Brian Kilby

Dec 2, 2001, 6:21:25 PM12/2/01

"A.Patyk" <paty...@msu.edu> wrote in message

> Brian Kilby wrote in message <3c098...@corp-goliath.newsgroups.com>...
> >
> >Uh...huh. Last I checked The Transformers wasn't just a toy line. There
are
> >TV series, comic series, lunch box(es) and scores of other non-toy items
> >with Transformers stamped on it. Luckily, Botcon is a Transformers
> >convention. Not a toy convention.
>
> Thanks for that bit of wonderful info. TRANSFORMERS is a toy line. It is
> toy line that has a successful series of cartoons and comics to support
its
> mythos, but it is still a toy line.

Excellent job missing the point, I congratulate you. Of course, this is all
irrelavent to the basic point laid out in the other post. If you care to
check, as stated, Botcon is a Transformers convention. Meaning that it
covers the entirety of the Transformers property. Toys, media and other
extraneous miscellanea. For you, the underlying toy line may be the most
"worthwhile" of the Transformers property. However, we are not limited by
your definition of what The Transformers is.

Hooper X

Dec 2, 2001, 6:36:09 PM12/2/01
(cc'ed to email)
blah blah blah Tengu blah blah

>It's always nice to have options.

I love you, Tengu.

-HX

A.Patyk

Dec 2, 2001, 9:42:37 PM12/2/01
It's really amazing how people can jump to a conclusion and then completely
miss the point of what someone's trying to say because it differs from their
own myopic views.

Refresher: I don't want a frigging Unicron statue. No matter the price, I'm
not buying one. You want to support it, go ahead. I'm not. Key word:
"I" - as in, MY opinion. I'm going to bitch about this all I fucking want,
regardless of those who would rather bend over and accept anything instead
of trying to get what they really want.

I'm not demanding a transformable Neo Unicron for $25 or anything insane,
which is the conclusion some idiots seem to have jumped to without reading
and understanding what I wrote. I'm just saying that the character's first
real appearance should be SOME kind of poseable toy. Are you going to tell
me that molding and producing a new Unicron PVC with moveable arms and head
is going to cost MORE than molding and producing a goddamn new COLD CAST
PORCELEIN STATUE? Don't make me laugh.

You're damn right I'm going to complain because it's not a Unicron you can
"play" with. A PVC would be a much more cost-effective and (to me) useful
addition to the Transformers range than a statue. The statue is a
pretention that I could do without.

Rik Bakke

Dec 2, 2001, 7:04:08 PM12/2/01
Nothing like a subject header like yours to show intellectual
superiority.
--
Rik Bakke
silve...@c2i.net

The Cybertron Chronicle
Down, But Not Out

Transformers Fan Code
G++ FR FW+ #74 D+ AA+ N++ W++ B++ OQP BC98++ BC99++ BC2000++ BC2001++ CN+++ OM+

Paul Segal

Dec 2, 2001, 7:15:18 PM12/2/01
>Subject: Re: Botcon.com update and the truth on Unicron
>From: emar...@aol.comuglyhat (Hooper X)
>Date: 12/2/01 6:36 PM Eastern Standard Time

>(cc'ed to email)
>blah blah blah Tengu blah blah
>
>>It's always nice to have options.
>
>I love you, Tengu.

I love you too, Tengu. Now where's the Badass Robot of the Month?

A.Patyk

Dec 2, 2001, 10:16:45 PM12/2/01

Rik Bakke wrote in message ...

>Nothing like a subject header like yours to show intellectual
>superiority.

Hey, you have to target your message at your audience. When the audience is
a bunch of Transfans who want to jump to a series of rude and condescending
conclusions without even bothering to understand the message they're
responding to, there you go...

Paul Segal

Dec 2, 2001, 7:22:52 PM12/2/01
>Subject: Re: Botcon.com update and the truth on Unicron
>From: Doug Kern dougla...@earthlink.net
>Date: 12/2/01 2:06 PM Eastern Standard Time

>See this link for that answer
>
>http://www.botcon.com/forsale/unifaq.html
>
>That explains fully why 3H can't have a toy.

"What is the statue made of?

The material is the same for all the other Hard Hero statues -- cold cast
porcelain, similar to the resin statues offered by other notable statue
companies."

I didn't think porcelain was that similar to resin...

Walkerton

Dec 2, 2001, 7:25:22 PM12/2/01

Hellooooooooooooooooo Pot!

Speaking of pot, you should get off the stuff.

--David
www.itswalky.com

superspy

Dec 2, 2001, 7:27:11 PM12/2/01
and then said news:9uedjs$1vns$1...@msunews.cl.msu.edu:

> You're damn right I'm going to complain because it's not a Unicron you
> can "play" with. A PVC would be a much more cost-effective and (to
> me) useful addition to the Transformers range than a statue. The
> statue is a pretention that I could do without.

Know what? Who the *hell* asked you?

'spy, apparently some of us think we have our fingers on the pulse of the
fandom.

Hooper X

Dec 2, 2001, 7:29:38 PM12/2/01
Blah blah blah A. Patyk blah blah:

>When the audience is
>a bunch of Transfans who want to jump to a series of rude and condescending
>conclusions without even bothering to understand the message they're
>responding to

I understand the message loud and clear.
1: You're a stupid fucking cumgargle.
2: Wah wah wah PVC NOT STATUE!!!1
3: BotCon and 3H should drop all pretentions of knowing what fans want, and
bump you up to Supreme Fan Know It All.
4: You're a useless goddamn jizzum receptacle.

A.Patyk

Dec 2, 2001, 10:30:26 PM12/2/01