Reissue Beast Wars Megatron shows up at Wal-Mart in Vancouver, Canada

Joseph Bardsley

May 31, 2022, 10:39:39 PM5/31/22
I grabbed him recently: great to see the mold and character again, but, ouch: $75 CAD, with tax?

Who else is collecting these reissues? Are there many objective differences from the original toys in 1996?

Joseph

Zobovor

May 31, 2022, 10:46:21 PM5/31/22
On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 8:39:39 PM UTC-6, Joseph Bardsley wrote:

> Who else is collecting these reissues? Are there many objective differences from the original toys in 1996?

I got Cheetor and Rattrap, and I'll get Primal and Megatron if they ever go on deep clearance. (Walmart has shut off all the markdowns company-wide, and in fact *raised* some prices on clearance items and bumped them back up to normal price. Gotta make money somehow, I guess. I mean, Alice Walton's DUI tickets don't pay for themselves.)

I read somewhere that the internal gear system for Primal was improved around 2004 when they released him for Transformers Universe in that weird red-yellow-brown color scheme. So, I would assume that carried over to the reissue, but I'm not sure. I started collecting Beast Wars as a young adult, so all my vintage toys are still in fine shape. It's not like during G1 when I was driving my Constructicons through the dirt (protip: do not do this) or taking my Optimus Prime to the beach (protip: also do not do this).

Zob (fun fact: Combat Deck can float in the ocean, and can be carried away by the tide)

Codigo Postal

Jun 11, 2022, 11:02:49 AM6/11/22
They went on fairly deep discount last year after Christmas (IIRC Megatron and Primal were each less than $20 USD at one point). I'm glad that these still relevant molds are being made available again, though I question Hasbro's pricing. I can't speak to the costs of rereleases, but I feel like these would do better at a lower price point. BW isn't, at least from my perspective, as iconic or beloved as the original G1 molds and characters, and asking $41 for a Scorponok seems a bit much. That said, maybe the new Beast-centered movie will increase demand, and we'll see these reissues fly off the shelves.

Codigo Postal

Jun 20, 2022, 11:59:17 PM6/20/22
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Transformers-Toys-Vintage-Beast-Wars-Predacon-Megatron-Action-Figure-Walmart-Exclusive/791542741

$12.72 USD.

I don't know if Walmart simply overestimated his appeal? Or if $50 is too steep for a toy that cost $20 on its initial release. It doesn't seem like we have any more big ticket reissues coming down the pike, mostly Deluxes...

Travoltron

Jun 21, 2022, 2:43:51 PM6/21/22
Megatron sold out here and never clearanced, but Primal didn't fare so well.