Masterpiece Trainbots Getsuei Revealed

Zobovor

Jan 7, 2022, 3:13:02 PM1/7/22
The second of the Trainbots has been revealed by Takara:

https://news.tfw2005.com/2022/01/06/takara-tomy-transformers-mpg-collection-masterpiece-trainbot-getsuei-images-447776

This follows Shouki, who was revealed last October.

It's hard for me to get excited about characters who were never featured in America. I bought a knockoff of Raiden once for ten bucks as a curiosity, and honestly the toys aren't that great. They're like a time capsule... a look at the original days of Takara robot design. They have a VERY "early Takara" aesthetic.

The new ones seem to be a mix of the cartoon designs and the original toys. Of coure, you'll be able to form Raiden once you have all six. I won't be collecting them, but the idea that Takara is branching out into combiners suggests that maybe they'll do Masterpiece versions of other super robot teams some day. Third party companies do an incredible job with them, so I can only assume Takara's efforts would easily rival them.

Zob (taking down the Christmas decorations today, which is always a thoroughly depressing chore)

Travoltron

Jan 12, 2022, 6:18:44 PM1/12/22
I plan on buying them all.

I picked up a bit of an affinity for Japanese trains.
Especially for Shoki's iconic 0-Series Shinkansen. One of my big regrets
during my time in Japan was never riding that train when I had the
chance. I remember the fare being expensive, like $100+ so I passed on
it. I naively thought those trains would always be there and there would
be other opportunities.

Irrellius Spamticon

Jan 13, 2022, 10:17:19 AM1/13/22
$210 a pop for 6 pieces = $1300 for something that will be 4 inches shorter than the 3rd party trainbots coming out this year for about half the price.

Travoltron

Jan 13, 2022, 11:18:18 AM1/13/22
On 1/13/2022 7:17 AM, Irrellius Spamticon wrote:
> $210 a pop

They're "only" $160 each, unless you're factoring in shipping charges or
something.

Travoltron

Jun 27, 2022, 11:01:23 PM6/27/22
This is very odd, but the stickers for Masterpiece Raiden's chest (part
of Shouki) will be sold separately in Figure King Magazine #293. I don't
even know if I need that or not, but I ordered the book on Amazon Japan
just in case. It has a few different options for G1 toy look or
Headmasters anime look.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2022/06/27/figure-king-magazine-official-stickers-for-masterpiece-mpg-01-shouki-459472