[JTF] BT-07 Translation--Author-Approved!

Doug Dlin

Oct 9, 2004, 1:20:51 AM10/9/04
Yeah, I know this is sorta old news, what with Fan2fan having posted a
translation a while back. However, while I still haven't read their
version, as I recall, it caused some confusion among people here.
Ichikawa-san contacted me, concerned that the content of the booklet
would lose some impact owing to their phrasing and such. Luckily, Ben
Yee had scans of the booklet available. With Ichikawa-san providing
additional info, clarifications and suggestions where necessary, I was
able to construct an "author-approved" translation of the contents.
(Okay, one author. Fumihiko-san didn't chime in on my translation of
his real-vehicle info. Most of the discussion was on the fiction
portion, though, IIRC.)

That was a few weeks ago, and Ben's been caught up in a lot of
activities, both site- and RL-related, since. His page for BT-07 is
almost ready; he's just got to do some of the Photoshop work, like the
individualized banner on the BinalTech front page on his site.
Meanwhile, here's a sneak peek or two:

BT-07 Autobot Diversionary Tactician SMOKESCREEN GT
Function... Diversionary Tactician
Transformation...Subaru Impreza 2004

This is Smokescreen's newest form, equipped with the "Genetronic
Translink" System to replenish the understaffed Autobot Earth Garrison.
This system makes it possible to split off identical beings sharing a
common, single life force, so Smokescreen is now able to have up to four
selves in action at once. However, the effects of this experimental
technology on Transformers' life activity and spiritual balance have not
yet been completely researched. Full operation of all four duplicates
is still being kept as a last resort.
Weapons...Electro Disruptor Rifle, Blaster Launcher

SYSTEM DESCRIPTION

"BT-07" is a code given to a sub-project researching the "potential for
the production and mass mobilization of robotic lifeforms." In
conjunction with Smokescreen's volunteering, the EDC's Advanced
Technologies Development Bureau conducted the customization and function
expansion of a GT System-compatible model in an experimental base, using
the latest BT-model body frame made by Subaru.

The "life force" that is the source of a TF's life is propagated through
its entire body by a "laser core," which is at the center of a force
field. The GT System separately contains this laser core outside the
body in subspace storage, and by synchronously connecting with translink
ports installed on each BT terminal, it is able to breathe life into
each of the multiply duplicated personality data. Each unit's memory
data undergoes integration processing after it returns from an operation.

Extra tidbit from Ichikawa-san: Word is that BT-07 was not originally a
planned product, that its sale was a snap decision. (Probably it was
decided on from conversations between Takara's Sales Department and
Subaru.) Therefore, they included the new missile launcher parts to
give it a bit more added value. There are no plans to sell it as an
Alternator.

I imagine this may be no-brainer stuff for many of you, but this sorta
makes it more...official, I guess.

Doug Dlin
apcog at hotmail.com

Onslaught Six

Oct 9, 2004, 12:08:49 PM10/9/04
Doug Dlin <ap...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<29adnXGN5MQ...@texas.net>...

> The GT System separately contains this laser core outside the

> body in subspace storage...

This is the first real reference to subspace in fiction, isn't it?

> Extra tidbit from Ichikawa-san: Word is that BT-07 was not originally a
> planned product, that its sale was a snap decision. (Probably it was
> decided on from conversations between Takara's Sales Department and
> Subaru.) Therefore, they included the new missile launcher parts to
> give it a bit more added value. There are no plans to sell it as an
> Alternator.

Phooey! That sucks. It'd be cool if they could give us the launcher in
some form--maybe the inevitable Prowl repaint of Smokescreen...?

Doug Dlin

Oct 9, 2004, 1:06:53 PM10/9/04
On Oct. 9, 2004, Onslaught Six wrote:

> Doug Dlin <ap...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<29adnXGN5MQ...@texas.net>...
>
>>The GT System separately contains this laser core outside the
>>body in subspace storage...
>
> This is the first real reference to subspace in fiction, isn't it?

I assume you mean officially approved/canon fiction. Regardless...I'm
not sure, really. :-S

>>Extra tidbit from Ichikawa-san: Word is that BT-07 was not originally a
>>planned product, that its sale was a snap decision. (Probably it was
>>decided on from conversations between Takara's Sales Department and
>>Subaru.) Therefore, they included the new missile launcher parts to
>>give it a bit more added value. There are no plans to sell it as an
>>Alternator.
>
> Phooey! That sucks. It'd be cool if they could give us the launcher in
> some form--maybe the inevitable Prowl repaint of Smokescreen...?

Hmm...maybe. It depends on how willing Subaru-U.S. is to license a
scale model of its Impreza police cruiser armed with a missile launcher.

Onslaught Six

Oct 10, 2004, 1:36:20 PM10/10/04
Doug Dlin <ap...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<zNydnXRN4fG...@texas.net>...

> > This is the first real reference to subspace in fiction, isn't it?
>
> I assume you mean officially approved/canon fiction. Regardless...I'm
> not sure, really. :-S

Yes, official fiction. It's the first I've heard of it, anyway.

(Now watch Zob point out some obscure line from the comics that nobody
remembers. :P)

> > Phooey! That sucks. It'd be cool if they could give us the launcher in
> > some form--maybe the inevitable Prowl repaint of Smokescreen...?
>
> Hmm...maybe. It depends on how willing Subaru-U.S. is to license a
> scale model of its Impreza police cruiser armed with a missile launcher.

"Lemme get this straight--you want to promote our car as a gun-toting
hellraiser from another planet with a big freakin' rocket launcher on
his shoulder?"
"Well.....Yeah."
"Okay. Just making sure."

Nevermore

Oct 11, 2004, 10:47:13 AM10/11/04
Doug Dlin <ap...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<29adnXGN5MQ...@texas.net>...

> Yeah, I know this is sorta old news, what with Fan2fan having posted a
> translation a while back. However, while I still haven't read their
> version, as I recall, it caused some confusion among people here.

Just one click away... ^^
http://www.fantofan.jp/photo%20gallery/binartech/bt-07/bt-07profile3.jpg

> Ichikawa-san contacted me, concerned that the content of the booklet
> would lose some impact owing to their phrasing and such.

I agree... with all due respect to F2F for their early news services,
their language skills are often somewhat lacking. Also, their
translations of Meister's booklet
http://www.fantofan.jp/photo%20gallery/binartech/bt-08/bt-08meister2.jpg
http://www.fantofan.jp/photo%20gallery/binartech/bt-08/bt-08meister3.jpg
for which I even provided some advice on the English spelling of names
(those I could actually make out from the Katakana based on an advance
summary given by Binal Convoy) doesn't even remotely read as fluent as
LagunaL8's version:
http://www.ragnarklogoff.net/trans/article/BTjazzpg9-10eng.jpg
I can't actually comment on the actual quality of the translation
itself, but at least Laguna's version has a better sentence structure,
adn I'm looking forward to her version of Swindle's and Grimlock's
stuff. :-)

> That was a few weeks ago, and Ben's been caught up in a lot of
> activities, both site- and RL-related, since. His page for BT-07 is
> almost ready; he's just got to do some of the Photoshop work, like the
> individualized banner on the BinalTech front page on his site.

He just uploaded it today.
Ben's reviews including your booklet translations are always my
favorite aspect of BT coverage, aside from Remy's galleries. :-)

Speaking of, seeing as you mentioned talking to Mr. Ichikawa about the
background story and character bios in the other thread - is there any
chance for some Western elements like G.B. Blackrock, Walter Barnett
or the Mechanic getting mentioned in future BT story bits? I'd just
like to see some diversity. ;-)

Nevermore (just ordered himself a white Meister, will probably arrive
next week)

--
The ultimate Binaltech/Alternators resource page
http://www.binalternators.de/

Doug Dlin

Oct 11, 2004, 10:31:14 PM10/11/04
On Oct. 11, 2004, Nevermore wrote:

> Doug Dlin <ap...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<29adnXGN5MQ...@texas.net>...
>
>>Yeah, I know this is sorta old news, what with Fan2fan having posted a
>>translation a while back. However, while I still haven't read their
>>version, as I recall, it caused some confusion among people here.
>

> Just one click away... ^^
> http://www.fantofan.jp/photo%20gallery/binartech/bt-07/bt-07profile3.jpg

I realize. However, even when I had the time before to read it, I
avoided doing so in order not to be influenced by their translation for
my own. Tonight...I've just finished a bunch more translation, and I'm
kinda tired. :-)

>>Ichikawa-san contacted me, concerned that the content of the booklet
>>would lose some impact owing to their phrasing and such.
>
> I agree... with all due respect to F2F for their early news services,
> their language skills are often somewhat lacking. Also, their
> translations of Meister's booklet
> http://www.fantofan.jp/photo%20gallery/binartech/bt-08/bt-08meister2.jpg
> http://www.fantofan.jp/photo%20gallery/binartech/bt-08/bt-08meister3.jpg

See above for my reasons for not reading these yet.

> for which I even provided some advice on the English spelling of names
> (those I could actually make out from the Katakana based on an advance
> summary given by Binal Convoy) doesn't even remotely read as fluent as
> LagunaL8's version:
> http://www.ragnarklogoff.net/trans/article/BTjazzpg9-10eng.jpg

Haven't even heard of this person before.

> I can't actually comment on the actual quality of the translation
> itself, but at least Laguna's version has a better sentence structure,
> adn I'm looking forward to her version of Swindle's and Grimlock's
> stuff. :-)

Hmm...well, I imagine I'll be working on those too as soon as Ben sends
me scans. I hope you don't mind the information being available more
than once. :-)

>>That was a few weeks ago, and Ben's been caught up in a lot of
>>activities, both site- and RL-related, since. His page for BT-07 is
>>almost ready; he's just got to do some of the Photoshop work, like the
>>individualized banner on the BinalTech front page on his site.
>
> He just uploaded it today.

I was going to announce it myself, but you saved me the trouble.

> Ben's reviews including your booklet translations are always my
> favorite aspect of BT coverage, aside from Remy's galleries. :-)

Much obliged.

> Speaking of, seeing as you mentioned talking to Mr. Ichikawa about the
> background story and character bios in the other thread - is there any
> chance for some Western elements like G.B. Blackrock, Walter Barnett
> or the Mechanic getting mentioned in future BT story bits? I'd just
> like to see some diversity. ;-)

He hasn't said, and I doubt he'd want to spoil me too soon anyway. Such
info shouldn't be mentioned until the appropriate toys are released
anyway, I think, or there might be trouble from it being leaked in advance.

Derik Smith

Oct 13, 2004, 9:55:06 AM10/13/04
O6 wrote:

>Doug Dlin <ap...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> > This is the first real reference to subspace in fiction, isn't it?
>>
>> I assume you mean officially approved/canon fiction. Regardless...I'm
>> not sure, really. :-S
>
>Yes, official fiction. It's the first I've heard of it, anyway.
>
>(Now watch Zob point out some obscure line from the comics that nobody
>remembers. :P)

Not in any of the G1 comics. I'd bet money there were no refs to subspace
by name a couple years ago.

And Zob could certianly not pluck an obscure reference for subspace fromt
he Dreamwave comics--- he stubbornly refuses to read them.

http://members.aol.com/regenesis0/subspace.gif

Subspace clearly exists, in some form, it's been present since the 'toons
early days.

But- Dreamwave hasnt' cannonised the term either. They use 'mass
conversion,' for side-shifting a method of molecular compression (reducing the
space between molecules) that also somehow reduces their invariant mass. (at
cost of constant energy drain.)

I note- 'subspace' as used her doesn't sound much liek the fan's subspace
either. It actualyl sounds more liek a mini-Matrix. Smokescreen's spark
resides out of space and sends out copies of itself with return and
reintegrate?

-Derik
"I'm torn between being pissed off at you and being in complete
awe of you." - Zobovor
"I'm a sucker for G1 homages." - The Wombat King
Luke Skywalker was a terrorist.

Ethan Hammond

Oct 13, 2004, 4:20:37 AM10/13/04
"Nevermore" <tab...@t-online.de> wrote in message

> I can't actually comment on the actual quality of the translation
> itself, but at least Laguna's version has a better sentence structure,
> adn I'm looking forward to her version of Swindle's and Grimlock's
> stuff. :-)

I think we are lucky to get translations at all, but I wonder why they
didn't
translate page 10 about the actual car. The RX8 model that debuted in
the year 2003, etc.

> He just uploaded it today.
> Ben's reviews including your booklet translations are always my
> favorite aspect of BT coverage, aside from Remy's galleries. :-)

Yeah they do good work.

> Speaking of, seeing as you mentioned talking to Mr. Ichikawa about the
> background story and character bios in the other thread - is there any
> chance for some Western elements like G.B. Blackrock, Walter Barnett
> or the Mechanic getting mentioned in future BT story bits? I'd just
> like to see some diversity. ;-)

Ohhh or Circuit Breaker!!!!

--
All Purpose Cultural Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Nevermore

Oct 13, 2004, 2:59:11 PM10/13/04
Speaking of Ben's review of Smokescreen GT, I have to make a (minor)
correction:

Ben wrote:
"Whereas 2003 Smokescreen emphasized the Monte Carlo Rally of 2003,
the big sponsor of this vehicle seems to be Corona, a beer company. I
believe this makes this the first official Transformers product to
also endorse an alcoholic product!"

This is not correct. There's a VERY prominent Transformer who was
promoting an alcoholic beverage virtually from day one.
Does anyone know who I'm speaking of? ;-)

Matthew Bladen

Oct 13, 2004, 3:20:17 PM10/13/04
On 13 Oct 2004 11:59:11 -0700, Nevermore (tab...@t-online.de) said:
> Speaking of Ben's review of Smokescreen GT, I have to make a (minor)
> correction:
>
> Ben wrote:
> "Whereas 2003 Smokescreen emphasized the Monte Carlo Rally of 2003,
> the big sponsor of this vehicle seems to be Corona, a beer company. I
> believe this makes this the first official Transformers product to
> also endorse an alcoholic product!"
>
> This is not correct. There's a VERY prominent Transformer who was
> promoting an alcoholic beverage virtually from day one.
> Does anyone know who I'm speaking of? ;-)

Jazz? (Martini)
--
Matthew

Nevermore

Oct 14, 2004, 3:29:29 AM10/14/04
Matthew Bladen <tami...@oohay.oc.ku> wrote in message news:<MPG.1bd7904ca...@news.ox.ac.uk>...

Right. Although I just checked, it appears it's rather spelled
"Martinii" on G1 Jazz, which is an even poorer attempt to "modify" the
brand name than "Marlboor" Wheeljack...

Doug Dlin

Oct 14, 2004, 9:34:46 PM10/14/04
On Oct. 14, 2004, Nevermore wrote:

> Doug Dlin <ap...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<bpadnbRoxPf...@texas.net>...

>>He hasn't said, and I doubt he'd want to spoil me too soon anyway. Such
>>info shouldn't be mentioned until the appropriate toys are released
>>anyway, I think, or there might be trouble from it being leaked in advance.
>

> Here's hoping, though; while I don't necessarily mind the occasional
> cartoon reference in the character bios and BT story chapters from the
> toys so far, the upcoming BT version of Grimlock could prove a problem
> in this regards...
> Meaning, I'd pretty much prefer his bio to be based more on the G1
> tech specs and Marvel/DW comics' interpretation of the character as
> someone who loathes at "weak" humans and often offends others by his
> arrogance, yet still proves to be a quite efficient warrior, rather
> than that stupid tuddly dino from the cartoon.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

> Not sure how aware the Japanese fans are of the non-cartoon version of
> Grimlock, though. Doug, do you happen know how well the translated
> Japanese versions of the Dreamwave comics released by Jive American
> Comics were received by the Japanese fandom? Just curious. :)

Wish I knew; I'd have to do some inquiries, and even then, I don't know
if my usual contacts would have any way of knowing those sales numbers
or of gauging nationwide fan reception.

Ethan Hammond

Oct 14, 2004, 4:56:43 AM10/14/04
"Desperado00" <despe...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >This is not correct. There's a VERY prominent Transformer who was
> >promoting an alcoholic beverage virtually from day one.
> >Does anyone know who I'm speaking of? ;-)
>
> Wheeljack Daniels?

Heh, although that one Diaclone Wheeljack
did promote cigarettes.