Kingdom Tracks review

Irrellius Spamticon

Jul 19, 2021, 8:05:21 PM7/19/21
So wave 3 is both hitting and not hitting, 3 Targets near me are selling or sold out, while the 4th has a release date on wave 3 despite the fact that they all have the same DPCI number as the previous waves in the Target system.

I got myself Tracks and Scorponok but gave Scorponok to my girlfriend, before I knew how hard finding myself a second would be.

Anyway, Tracks, he came with a Dinobot card, revealing Dinomus Prime, Herald of Unicron.

He's packaged with his backpack behind the cardboard, tied down with 7 ties, and he has a dual gun and single gun on the back of the cardboard.

The first thing I notice when freeing him from his confines is that his shins come apart really easily, the side panels with front wheels and feet attached coming apart from the main shins. Thre isn't really any anchoring it together and when you hold him it's really really floppy. The side have slots for a tab, et the parts they match up to have a fraction of a painted nub. Someone somewhere decided the tab wouldn't work and eliminated it without providing another solution. . Despite this when I plunked him down on the desk top he stood. I have no idea why but he did.

His robot mode has 10 5mm ports, feet, sides of shins, forearms, shoulders, really high on his backpack, an on top of the post above his head that mounts the backpack. This post just always looks odd. For all the work they went through for this transformation they couldn't make his backpack look right. His dual gun mount on top of this post to give him his head gear, abd his other gun is his pistol.

So his transformation, his backpack unfolds, and rotates around the peg behind his head to form the roof while his waist rotates arond and the feet to some crazy acrobatics to form the front. These feet parts are more frustrating than the Masterpiece. I can imagine the will get much looser from all the BS you have to do during transformation. After wau too many steps you can get his feet up behind the windshield, and at this point you have the opposite problems the robot legs had. To attach the windshield to the hood you have to match up 3 way too big tabs going in opposite directions.

In car mode his leg side panels with the front wheels are still really loose and the vehicle doesn't really stay together. Despite that the whole roof and rear window is all clear blue plastic painted blue, they still painted big section of his back window blue, only leaving a small stripe. I know they weren't afraid of showing robot bits through the window, his windshield is a foot show. He has 3 exhausts, 2 normal and a huge 5mm port that is the same joint that flipped the backpack over the bot. He has a 5mm on the trunk lid, and 2 on the sides by the front wheels. The dual gun mount on the trunk lid and has a 5mm hex port on it for the pistol.

His flight mode involves leaving his arms out, and rotating them around to push the door panels into the car side from the outside and flipping the tabs out from the rear of the car. The tail fins have extra plastic on them an pop completely off the bot way too easily.

Overall he's so overly complicated and he didn't need to be. He's more frustrating than the masterpiece. All this and he still just doesn't look quite right.

Codigo Postal

Jul 20, 2021, 12:34:36 PM7/20/21
On Monday, July 19, 2021 at 8:05:21 PM UTC-4,
Thanks for the review -
confirms the concerns I had after some of the initial Youtube leaks came out. Looks like we are backsliding from the design and QC highs of the Warden era- Kingdom's hit to miss ratio has been disconcertingly lopsided in favor of the latter.

Glad I picked up MP Tracks last week instead - he is a beaut, and frankly, MPs are feeling less and less complex compared to mainline TFs, only with fewer compromises and fewer gaps.

Zobovor

Jul 20, 2021, 9:47:09 PM7/20/21
On Monday, July 19, 2021 at 6:05:21 PM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:

> Overall he's so overly complicated and he didn't need to be. He's more frustrating than the masterpiece. All this and he still just doesn't look quite right.

Don't have him yet, so I can't really offer an informed opinion. Based on the pictures I've seen, though, he looks like he stepped right out of the cartoon. I don't know what it is about him you think doesn't look right!

Lately they do seem to be jumping through a lot of hoops, regarding toy engineering, in service to the cartoon design. Sometimes they seem to crib from ideas used for Masterpiece. There are only so many Masterpiece-level tricks they can cram into a twenty-dollar toy, though.

Zob (hoping to find Tracks and Scorponok relatively soon)

Irrellius Spamticon

Jul 20, 2021, 10:39:51 PM7/20/21
On Tuesday, July 20, 2021 at 8:47:09 PM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> On Monday, July 19, 2021 at 6:05:21 PM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
>
> > Overall he's so overly complicated and he didn't need to be. He's more frustrating than the masterpiece. All this and he still just doesn't look quite right.
> Don't have him yet, so I can't really offer an informed opinion. Based on the pictures I've seen, though, he looks like he stepped right out of the cartoon. I don't know what it is about him you think doesn't look right!

His backpack only looks right from 1 specific angle, straight ahead, and the backpack is way overengineered to make way for the fake roof on the chest to fit behind the feet, which was an odd way to store the feet in the first place. His robot mode overall looks much better than Generation, but they just made some odd choices and they didn't pull it off as well as intended. Maybe it's a QC thing, but he doesn't hold together well because he doesn't have connection points in places that were clearly designed to have connection points. the choice to paint most of the back window, the back fins that are more likely to fall off than click into position, and despite all of this it's remarkably hard to pull his arms and wings out of car mode without bending the sides in a way that you don't want to bend them too much. Others have already warned of his clear roof being delicate, and it wraps around the sides too.

It just doesn't seem like a Siege level of design compared to the likes of Warpath, Hoist, and other Deluxe level bots.

He might be more accurate than his generations self, but it's a whole lot more pain to get him there. I like complicated transformations when it's needed, MP Sunstreaker is a favorite, and even I think this guy is overdone.

> Lately they do seem to be jumping through a lot of hoops, regarding toy engineering, in service to the cartoon design. Sometimes they seem to crib from ideas used for Masterpiece. There are only so many Masterpiece-level tricks they can cram into a twenty-dollar toy, though.

They went past the Masterpiece design to something much worse, where they could have just cribbed the Masterpiece design and ended up with something simpler and better looking in regards to the backpack and lower legs.