YouTube Video on Collectors and Price Points

Zobovor

Sep 23, 2022, 8:53:10 PM9/23/22
A fine gentleman named Bobby Skullface, who doesn't seem to have nearly enough subscribers, has an interesting video talking about how collectors look at price points, especially as they get older, and the ways that companies may be capitalizing off of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdV1cPtgAd

Very interesting ideas and it gives you a lot to think about.

Zob (for me, personally, a $50 purchase used to sting like hell, but I'm at a point now where I hardly notice it)

Codigo Postal

Sep 25, 2022, 1:47:39 PM9/25/22
Interesting video, and some great points. Geewunners are in their 30s, 40s, and even 50s, and we have the disposable income to spare. Compared to a lot of the costs that adult life throws our way (repairs, mortgages, car payments, insurance, tuition), the cost of a few plastic toys is relatively negligible.

It really boils down to a personal calculus of whether something is worth the cost. It's why I've largely avoided the 3P MP scene; is a $200 toy really going to bring me ten times more joy than a $25 deluxe? Compared to our younger years, it's less about whether we have the extra money, and more about whether that's where we want to put it. For me, eight $25 deluxes are infinitely preferable to a single $200 figure, but I know a lot of other folks would see it differently.

Also, there are so many more stressors in life; a few extra dollars towards something that brings you joy is more than worth it. For most of us, we're nearing the point where there will be more miles behind us than there are ahead. Life is short, and time is fleeting. Our toys crack and crumble, reminding us that our existence is finite, and that no amount of floor polish can fully restore the strength to our joints, and no hydrogen peroxide can truly restore the youthful luster to our appearance. Like a G2 Slingshot, our fate is inevitable to fall to pieces, without the possibility of repair.

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Sep 25, 2022, 6:58:47 PM9/25/22
On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 5:53:10 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> A fine gentleman named Bobby Skullface, who doesn't seem to have nearly enough subscribers, has an interesting video talking about how collectors look at price points, especially as they get older, and the ways that companies may be capitalizing off of it:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdV1cPtgAd

I get errors. YouTube claims the video is gone.

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Sep 25, 2022, 7:01:04 PM9/25/22
On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 5:53:10 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> Zob (for me, personally, a $50 purchase used to sting like hell, but I'm at a point now where I hardly notice it)

I remember a time when I was at a store, holding several transmetal deluxes, trying to decide if I should buy them all -- can I really afford them all at once, versus is one of these going to be hard to get later?

Times change. Now it's a question of where to put them.

Zobovor

Sep 25, 2022, 7:47:58 PM9/25/22
On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 4:58:47 PM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> I get errors. YouTube claims the video is gone.

Oops, my fault. Try this:

https://youtu.be/RdV1cPtgAdI

Zob (Internetting is hard)

Joseph Bardsley

Sep 29, 2022, 1:05:18 AM9/29/22
All too true (and sobering), Codigo. Thank you for painting this picture.

JB