Re: Pelosi ruined California retailers are now required to have gender-neutral toy aisles

Blue Govt means end all

Jan 3, 2024, 3:46:23 AMJan 3
On 17 Mar 2023, Molly Bolt <mollyth...@gmail.com> posted some
news:08ced0aa-9bfc-4b82...@googlegroups.com:

> The Democrats are out of line here. Someone needs to take them to
> court over it and they will.

Major retailers in California are now required to have gender-neutral
toy aisles under a new state law that went into effect on Monday.

The new law requires retail department stores physically located in
California with 500 or more employees to “maintain a gender-neutral
section or area, to be labeled at the discretion of the retailer.”

New California law to limit how much landlords can charge for security
deposits

Stores that already have gender-focused toy areas won’t have to get rid
of them but instead add a toy section that would apply to children of
any gender, according to the law’s text.

The law passed the state Legislature and was signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom
Explore this without
leaving the page.

in 2021. Retailers that don’t comply with the law will initially be
fined $250, followed by $500 for repeat offenders.

California Assemblymember Evan Low, D-Silicon Valley, said an 8-year-old
inspired him to introduce the bill.

New California laws taking effect in 2024

“I was inspired to introduce this bill after 8-year-old Britten asked,
‘Why should a store tell me what a girl’s shirt or toy is?’” Low said in
a statement. “Her bill will help children express themselves freely and
without bias. We need to let kids be kids.”

However, California Family Council President Jonathan Keller previously
expressed his displeasure with the new law.

“We should all have compassion for individuals experiencing gender
dysphoria,” Keller said in a statement. “But activists and state
legislators have no right to force retailers to espouse
government-approved messages about sexuality and gender. It’s a
violation of free speech and it’s just plain wrong.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-retailers-now-required-gender-19031
5901.html

chrisv

Jan 3, 2024, 7:59:50 AMJan 3
Blue Govt means end all wrote:

>Major retailers in California are now required to have gender-neutral
>toy aisles under a new state law that went into effect on Monday.
>
>The new law requires retail department stores physically located in
>California with 500 or more employees to “maintain a gender-neutral
>section or area, to be labeled at the discretion of the retailer.”

What happened to being accepting of boys who want to play with dolls
or girls who want to play rough?

Now the freaks want to put them on the "trans train" which leads to
medical intervention, sterilization, and a lifetime of being on
destructive drugs. Good for the medical industry, I guess.

Irrellius Spamticon

Jan 9, 2024, 2:30:59 AMJan 9
This is the most homophobic mis-translation of a law that doesn't do any of the things you fear it does.
Your toy aisles have had gender neutral sections for decades, they just weren't labeled. Nobody has to get rid of gender specific areas, and stores have been trying to cross sell cross gender lines anyway.

After eight years of stupid turn the frog gay conspiracies this stupid whinging is just tired.

Irrellius Spamticon

Jan 9, 2024, 2:38:44 AMJan 9
And here I thought the original post was uninformed homophobia.
Toys don't turn kids gay, or trans.
There is no "trans train" just like D&D wasn't satan worship back in the 70s and the gays weren't coming to convert you in the 80s. This is the next conservative panic fantasy to let Christians pretend to be persecuted victims while they actually run shit.
Neither does Drag Queen Story Hour
Kids aren't having medical interventions under the age of 18
Kids aren't being sterilized.

Ignorant hate comments like this leads to a lifetime of antidepressants and are more destructive for these people than anything extremists are telling you is happening.
Please stop bringing willfully ignorant hate into this toy group.
Message has been deleted

Evil King Macrocranios

Feb 19, 2024, 2:39:38 PMFeb 19
On Monday, January 8, 2024 at 11:30:59 PM UTC-8, Irrellius Spamticon wrote:
> Your toy aisles have had gender neutral sections for decades, they just weren't labeled. Nobody has to get rid of gender specific areas, and stores
> have been trying to cross sell cross gender lines anyway.

I found an example of a 1984 attempt by a grocery store to cross sell GI Joe, My Little Pony, and Transformers all together in one newspaper flyer ad. They called the segment 'Action Toys From Hasbro' and pictured were a boxed Cobra Rattler, Sunlight the Rainbow Pony from MLP, and Wheeljack. I did a recreation of it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2qL_phyayE/

I'm not sure how ponies were marketed back then but this one struck me as interesting because of how the text states that any boy or girl will love ponies. Which is actually true, but not what Hasbro seemed to have been going for. I think if Hasbro of the 80s wanted ponies in the action figure aisle they probably would have packed guns with them. Or conversely, they'd have given Transformers little cute rubbery mascot animal pack ins or something like that.

Zobovor

Feb 19, 2024, 11:40:03 PMFeb 19
On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 12:39:38 PM UTC-7, Evil King Macrocranios wrote:

> I'm not sure how ponies were marketed back then but this one struck me as interesting because of how the text states that any boy or girl will love ponies. Which is actually true, but not what Hasbro seemed to have been going for. I think if Hasbro of the 80s wanted ponies in the action figure aisle they probably would have packed guns with them. Or conversely, they'd have given Transformers little cute rubbery mascot animal pack ins or something like that.

There are a lot of toy lines I was utterly unaware of as a kid because they were merchandised in aisles I didn't ever go down. I was interested in the action figure aisle (and, later, the video games) and that was it. It's the reason I was completely unaware of the My First Transformer toy assortment until I was an adult (though it's likely I would never have bought them as a kid anyway).

The marketing was very gender-specific back in the day. All the toy commercials on TV for He-Man and GoBots and such had jingles sung by deep-voiced men, and the toy commercials for My Little Pony and Barbie had flowery, light jingles with an all-woman cast. Transformers actually straddled the line because it used both male and female voices in the theme song, plus the robotic flanging which sort of removed the gendered, human-quality to a degree. But, it was always little toys in the commercials playing with the toys. Never little girls.

Zob (I'm not saying that little girls *must* shop on the "girls' toys" aisles, but it does sort of make sense to merchandise all that stuff together in one spot)