Velocitron Hot Rod is G1 Toy Colors

Zobovor

Sep 19, 2022, 11:39:17 PM9/19/22
Images of the toy dropped today:

https://news.tfw2005.com/2022/09/19/velocitron-voyager-hot-rod-first-look-465599

He's still got that same annoying yellow T-bar on the roof. He's a much deeper red, this time, and it's close to the look of the Masterpiece Targetmaster version (which was based on the undersaturated colors from "The Rebirth"). No Targetmaster gun, but one supposes it would be easy enough to just stick Siege Firedrive in his hand.

Not the deco I would have personally chosen. I really though Evan Brooks was gonna go to bat for us and give us a hot pink Hot Rod. The stickers on the 1986 Hot Rod were by far the ugliest thing about the toy, so slapping on paint applications to a toy that was never designed for them just kind of uglies it up. And they kind of half-assed it, because he gets the rainbow triangles on his legs, but not his arms.

A bit of a disappointment, especially compared to what could have been.

Zob (John Warden would have given us a hot pink Hot Rod!)

Gustavo Wombat

Sep 20, 2022, 4:50:23 AM9/20/22
At first glance, it looks the same as the original release — a little
darker, but basically the same. Very skippable. Unimpressive.

If there were people who didn’t get the toy the first time out, I guess I’m
glad for them?

If they feared magenta, they could have gone with Shattered Glass, or OTFCC
Sideburn, or I think Animated Wildride used that Animated Hot Rod mold, so
that could have been a thing.

Irrellius Spamticon

Sep 20, 2022, 8:35:21 AM9/20/22
On Tuesday, September 20, 2022 at 3:50:23 AM UTC-5, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:
> > Images of the toy dropped today:
> >
> > https://news.tfw2005.com/2022/09/19/velocitron-voyager-hot-rod-first-look-465599
> >
> > He's still got that same annoying yellow T-bar on the roof. He's a much
> > deeper red, this time, and it's close to the look of the Masterpiece
> > Targetmaster version (which was based on the undersaturated colors from
> > "The Rebirth"). No Targetmaster gun, but one supposes it would be easy
> > enough to just stick Siege Firedrive in his hand.
> >
> > Not the deco I would have personally chosen. I really though Evan Brooks
> > was gonna go to bat for us and give us a hot pink Hot Rod. The stickers
> > on the 1986 Hot Rod were by far the ugliest thing about the toy, so
> > slapping on paint applications to a toy that was never designed for them
> > just kind of uglies it up. And they kind of half-assed it, because he
> > gets the rainbow triangles on his legs, but not his arms.
> >
> > A bit of a disappointment, especially compared to what could have been.
> >

> > Zob (John Warden would have given us a hot pink Hot Rod!)
> >
> At first glance, it looks the same as the original release — a little
> darker, but basically the same. Very skippable. Unimpressive.
>
> If there were people who didn’t get the toy the first time out, I guess I’m
> glad for them?

The first version is still in stores though, they're currently still shipping the windowless release of the first version that was repacked for BB Soundwave's wave.