CW Liokaiser!! and old Fansproject stuff!

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Nov 25, 2016, 8:05:08 PM11/25/16
Just found a CW Liokaiser, and am very tempted to buy it, but it kind of annoys me. The original Liokaiser toy had a torso made up of two bots, and this one has a Skylynx repaint, which is totally inaccurate. I never saw a CW skylynx in any stores though.

Then again I also found a bunch of Fansproject stuff on clearance, Brainstorm, Chromedome, Assaulter (broadside) , I'm conflicted on getting Hexatron or waiting for the TR Sixshot. The TR Broadside pics online look quite terrible. I've never owned a Fansproject anything before. Also have the Quakeblast, but I might wait for Masterpiece Shockwave (we have any eta on him?)

Zobovor

Nov 25, 2016, 9:14:50 PM11/25/16
On Friday, November 25, 2016 at 6:05:08 PM UTC-7, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:

> I never saw a CW skylynx in any stores though.

Me neither. Had to order mine online. I won't be buying Liokaiser just because I didn't grow up on the Japanese cartoons and the characters don't mean anything to me, but I'll bet there are fans who are absolutely going gaga. I think it's great that Hasbro is occasionally tapping the Japanese characters for new toy ideas because that's really catering to fans of the obscure stuff.

> I might wait for Masterpiece Shockwave (we have any eta on him?)

He's available now. Thylacine 2000 e-mailed me recently and mentioned that it was one of his favorite toys in recent years. He's shifted to somewhere near the top of my want list based on Thy's ringing endorsement of him.

Zob (loves me some 'Cons)

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Nov 26, 2016, 2:07:29 AM11/26/16
On Friday, November 25, 2016 at 8:14:50 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:
> On Friday, November 25, 2016 at 6:05:08 PM UTC-7, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:
>
> > I never saw a CW skylynx in any stores though.
>
> Me neither. Had to order mine online. I won't be buying Liokaiser just because I didn't grow up on the Japanese cartoons and the characters don't mean anything to me, but I'll bet there are fans who are absolutely going gaga. I think it's great that Hasbro is occasionally tapping the Japanese characters for new toy ideas because that's really catering to fans of the obscure stuff.

Skylynx was inaccurate for being in a combiner team, but now Liokaiser is an actual combiner, but inaccurate for using a Skylynx body as a torso. Such a hard decision. I'm probably not going to get either.

> > I might wait for Masterpiece Shockwave (we have any eta on him?)
>
> He's available now. Thylacine 2000 e-mailed me recently and mentioned that it was one of his favorite toys in recent years. He's shifted to somewhere near the top of my want list based on Thy's ringing endorsement of him.
>

> Zob (loves me some 'Cons)

I know the Laserwave is out, is it too gun-like to get a US release?
I'm divided on the color. I dislike the cartoon color for Shockwave. Transformers comic #5 was my Shockwave. Also one of my first ever comics, one of those formative years things. When I was young I found a secondhand Shackwave, and didn't know he was the wrong colors and not really Shockwave for many many years. The light purple colors online are just too ugly for me. I like him dark and gritty and not pastel purple.

His transformation also seems to be very close to the G1 version, and I want something a little more involved, I'm a sucker for complex transformations.

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats

Nov 26, 2016, 3:47:21 AM11/26/16
On Friday, November 25, 2016 at 11:07:29 PM UTC-8, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:
> On Friday, November 25, 2016 at 8:14:50 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:
> > On Friday, November 25, 2016 at 6:05:08 PM UTC-7, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:

> > > I might wait for Masterpiece Shockwave (we have any eta on him?)
> >
> > He's available now. Thylacine 2000 e-mailed me recently and mentioned that it was one of his favorite toys in recent years. He's shifted to somewhere near the top of my want list based on Thy's ringing endorsement of him.
> >

> I know the Laserwave is out, is it too gun-like to get a US release?
> I'm divided on the color. I dislike the cartoon color for Shockwave. Transformers comic #5 was my Shockwave. Also one of my first ever comics, one of those formative years things. When I was young I found a secondhand Shackwave, and didn't know he was the wrong colors and not really Shockwave for many many years. The light purple colors online are just too ugly for me. I like him dark and gritty and not pastel purple.
>
> His transformation also seems to be very close to the G1 version, and I want something a little more involved, I'm a sucker for complex transformations.

The transformation is pretty involved actually. Involved enough that I just picked him to transform him to refresh my memory, got partway through one leg, and then decided that I just didn't want to bother.

My biggest complaint is the number of screws visible on the top surface of the toy in gun mode -- the screws are all black, and stand out against the light purple plastic.

And, as far as colors go, we have gotten such things as Anime Color Red Alert, Blue Bluestreak, Tigertrack, G2 Sideswipe, Delta Magnus, Red Bumblebee and Gold Bumblebee. I assume we will get a darker, comics colored Laserwave, or a Radio Shack color version. What are the odds that this is where they will stop milking molds for ever possible variation?

(Although, they haven't done anything with Star Saber yet... but what can you do with Star Saber?)

Zobovor

Nov 26, 2016, 10:17:29 AM11/26/16
On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 12:07:29 AM UTC-7, Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People. wrote:

> Skylynx was inaccurate for being in a combiner team, but now Liokaiser is an
> actual combiner, but inaccurate for using a Skylynx body as a torso. Such a
> hard decision. I'm probably not going to get either.

Being a combiner toy doesn't ruin Sky Lynx by any stretch of the imagination. He's still a fine toy even if you never combine him. Also, it's probably the only Sky Lynx update we're likely to get...

> I know the Laserwave is out, is it too gun-like to get a US release?

I think perhaps they would have to do terrible things to him to release him domestically. Like, making the entire gun barrel and both of his robot arms blaze orange. Like the Action Master only much, much worse.

...Or I guess they could invent a new transformation and pretend he turns into a submarine.

> I'm divided on the color. I dislike the cartoon color for Shockwave.
> Transformers comic #5 was my Shockwave. Also one of my first ever comics, one
> of those formative years things. When I was young I found a secondhand
> Shackwave, and didn't know he was the wrong colors and not really Shockwave
> for many many years. The light purple colors online are just too ugly for me.
> I like him dark and gritty and not pastel purple.

It's so bizarre to me how many people have said this over the years. That they perceived Shockwave as being grey in color (even going by the cartoon) and feel like his purple coloring is wrong somehow. You're not the first person to say this. I remember a few surprised folks complaining how purple he appeared when the oversaturated Rhino DVD's first came out.

Could this be like a "blue Bluestreak" phenomenon in reverse, where so many people owned a grey-colored Radio Shack toy that it colored their perceptions of the Transformers character?

Zob (there are probably people who read Marvel Comics who were surprised to find out that the Skywarp toy isn't blue like Thundercracker)

Gustavo Wombat

Nov 26, 2016, 4:45:58 PM11/26/16
The G1 Shockwave toy was a lot darker than the Mr. Lavender who appeared in
the cartoon, and most of the updates since then have followed the toy --
along with comic book versions, video games, alternate versions in
different continuities. After thirty years of Shockwaves, Mr. Lavender is
the odd one out.

Not sure why I want to call him Mr. Lavender...

If Takara decided to revisit Soundwave, and then revealed that they had
based it off of G2 Gobots Soundwave, it would be jarring and unexpected
(and awesome). This is much the same, except the one weird appearance he is
based on is his original.

--
I wish I was a mole in the ground.

Irrellius Spamticon of the Potato People.

Nov 27, 2016, 6:56:40 AM11/27/16
As a kid I think I realized the cartoon had a limited color palette. They never used too many colors in cartoons. It was too expensive to invest in extra shades and complex detail work. There are many times the comics cheaped-out too, but then we got those high detail moments, especially for some of the covers, and we accepted those as the real look, and my brain began to fill in the details on the lower resolution or lower quality bits with the higher quality.

To this day every "anime color" or "cartoon accurate" rendition of things after-the-fact is such a major disappointment compared to the first iteration. It's kind of a dumbing down to fit the limited view from the restrictions the animators seemed to have to churn out animation quickly and cheaply.