Hello from beast Wars:

DiTillio

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
Greetings Transformer fanatics:

In case you missed my first post I am one of the Story Editors of Beast
Wars
(along with the estimable Bob Forward who wrote the pilot you've all just
seen).

I am here for the duration of our show, and will be happy to answer
questions when I have the time.

First a few ground rules:

1) Don't ask me for a job with the show of any kind. We have been at
this since last November and have a full staff. Besides the show is
produced in Canada and that's a helluva commute for most of you.

2) Don't post or e-mail me any story plots or suggestions. For legal
reasons I will go ballistic if this happens and leave forever.

3) There are some questions I won't answer (because they'll give away
surprises) and others I can't (e.g. detailed technical questions).

4) Ask your questions with a modicum of courtesy and decorum. I don't
respond well to internet nerks trying to show what wise guys they are.

Them's the rules, obey 'em and we'll all get along.

And now, a few answers to questions recieved:

1) Are Optimus Primal and Megatron the same characters from the old
series? -

NO. The new series takes place roughly two hundred years from the first.
It is a future Cybertron, changed from the original, as the course of
history changes all societies. AutoBots and Decepticons still exist, but
the dominant groups are the Maximals and the Predacons. Just as there
is more than one Dave, Camille, Larry or Sally on earth, there is more
than one Optimus and Megatron on Cybertron.

2) Will we ever see AutoBots or decepticons? It is a definite possibility
for later seasons, but you won't see any in the first season (wellll,
maybe one, but you'll have to look carefully).

3) How do the beast Wars Transformers transform? The process of how a
Transformer is "born" will be detailed in one of my scripts. So you'll
have to wait.

4) Some of the toys have two heads? Will you be using these in the series?
NO. It was bad enough having to build 20 characters (remember each robot
is also an animal, so every one character is actually 2). The extra heads
would be both tough to build and use in dramatic form, so we decided not
to.

Those questions were from Zobovor, hope you like the answers.

Now a few general comments: I note many of you are clinging wildly to the
old familiar Transformers. That's okay, it's human nature to be afraid of
change.
But change is what is happening here people. Both Bob and I are fully
aware of the old show and we are adamant about producing a BETTER show.
As beast wars continues, we'll be answering some of the questions I've
seen here and adding some new mysteries as well. It's our hope to produce
a science fiction adventure show that relies less on heated robot battles
than it does on characterization, wonder and good story.

You'll find out more about that Stonehenge-like circle you saw, more about
the Golden disk and quite a bit of background history.

Speaking of which - here is a little background on the pilot. Megatron
and his crew stole the Golden Disk from the Maximals, then made his escape
in a stolen TransWarp ship. The only ship close enough at the time to
pursue was Optimus Primal's exploration craft the Axalon. Optimus locked
onto the warp signature and followed Megatron. The battle began in warp
space and continued as Megatron dropped out of warp at his destination.

You know what happened then.

UPCOMING: Both the Predacons and the Maximals will be getting female
members in the first season, one on each side. It's a trend we hope to
continue.

Beast Mode is not a shell game, when the Maximals and Predacons become
beasts, they are for all intent and purpose, fully functional organic
forms. Thus they are more vulnerable in beast mode.

Energon crystals are not the same as energon cubes, however as coal
becomes diamonds, so do energon crystals eventually stabilize into cubes.

Now I ask you one - Can anybody tell me what the Golden Disk is?

That's it for now.

DiTillio - Maximize!

Larry DiTillio
Story Editor - Beast wars

Unicron2K5

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
I just want to thank you for showing up here... it's nice to see such
strong support for the first new TF shows in *9* (yikes!) years and it
sound like you guys have some excellent plans for making this show good in
itself, not just a toy-selling gimmick. Good luck!

<--------------->
Malin Huffman
unicr...@aol.com
Blaster--->TF MUSH

John Szymanski

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
Larry DiTillio writes:
Now I ask you one -Can anybody tell me what the Golden Disk is?

It's probably a different or new matrix. Or could it be the plasma
energy key in a different form. Or maybe a new age Vector Sigma that
gives power and energy to this new Universe. Is this a trick question?

John Szymanski

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
Where did the Maximal and Predicon insignias come from?

Is there going to be a Beast Wars comic book?

Will there be a Beast Wars movie?

Iggy Drougge

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96

Great to see someone involved with the new TV series, as well as that
much more care seems to be put into it than the original ones.

Now I have a question for you: Will the show air in other countries?
Also, will there be a comic?

--
/\ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ ____
/\// \ / \ / /\ /_ \ / \ / \ / /\ / \ / \ / __/

Ivy Bohnlein

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

DiTillio (diti...@aol.com) wrote:

: 4) Ask your questions with a modicum of courtesy and decorum. I don't

: respond well to internet nerks trying to show what wise guys they are.

Well, there are a few bad apples here -- please don't judge us all by
their behavior.

: Just as there

: is more than one Dave, Camille, Larry or Sally on earth, there is more
: than one Optimus and Megatron on Cybertron.

That explains a lot, though I can hear Raksha gnashing her teeth. Hey,
I thought Megs was one in a million... :)

: UPCOMING: Both the Predacons and the Maximals will be getting female

: members in the first season, one on each side. It's a trend we hope to
: continue.

Wahoo! Now all you have to do is make Hasbro/Kenner/whoever make them as
TOYS, and I will worship you as a god. Okay, maybe not, but I'll be
thankful.

Geez, now all I have to do is find out when it's on... anyone heard about
times for Phoenix?

Ivy
--
===================== Bohn...@acmelabs.uhc.asu.edu =====================

"What have I *done*?" "Compared to Mozart, not a heck of a lot."

============= Register to vote! Democracy starts with YOU! =============

Marc

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

First of all I was wondering when the show aired?
Now I want to admitt that I haven't seen the show yet so I'm not
extremely stable on my veiws here, but Transformers Beast Wars??? Come
on now. The original Transformers was among the best shows ever in
existence. I grew up on the toys, and personally feel that transformers
was one of the things that set our generation from others. When I walked
in to toys-r-us and saw the Beast Wars toys I was a little disapointed.
I mean come on look what they did to Optamus Prime, look what they did to
the man who was the hero to thousands of children around the world. They
turned him into a bat! I couldn't believe it. And Megatron a aligator?
What were they thinking?
I just read the post explaining alot of the basic premise of the
show and well I'm still a little upset. Now I'm sure that if I were ten
years old again I wouldn't think of most of these complaints, but robots
turning into organic animals. (well of course organic animals, how many
animals aren't organic? Well I just wanted to emphasize the organic
beings part.) I mean how does that work? I'm sure I wouldn't have
bought that as a kid. ANother thing are you saying
that the animal forms are going to have different personalitys then the
robots? And what's this about not having two headed characters on the
show because it's too difficult to come up with personalitys? Come on,
I'm sure the writers of the original wouldn't have let that stop them.
Or at least I like to think it wouldn't have stop them.
All in all the whole idea does sound alittle ... well, lame. Of
course I haven't seen the show so I'm not saying it's lame, I'm just
saying that it sounds a little weak. In case any one just skipped down
to the bottom here, then all I really want to know is when the show airs
and on what channel. THanks
Marc

Unicron2K5

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

//You'll go ballistic for legal reasons? What, was there a clause in your
contract that read "And the undersigned agrees to go ballistic upon
recieving storyline suggestions..."
//

He's not joking, people. The producer of Babylon5 used to hang out in the
main B5 newsgroup but made the same warning- enough people tossed plot
ideas around that he had to leave and only answers in a moderated
newsgroup now. It's simple legal red tape; if someone here suggests, say,
that Optimus Primal should have a lisp and it actually happens on the
show, the production team is vulnerable to legal hassles.

//Please realize that there ARE going to be people kicking around ideas
for
episodes here... although (I assume) most of us realize that you guys
have ideas and don't need ours... but why would you leave if we discuss a
few concepts on the NG? What about fanfic?
//

This introduces a rather sticky situation we haven't had to deal with
before... certain BeastWars fanfics could fall into dangerous territory,
especially if based on the cartoon directly. This is something we
definitely need to discuss, and don't go ballistic about freedom and
expression; Larry has said he will leave if that sort of thing happens
here and that's the simplest way out- but I certainly don't want that to
happen.
Let's discuss options.

msipher

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

On 24 Apr 1996, DiTillio wrote:

> 2) Don't post or e-mail me any story plots or suggestions. For legal
> reasons I will go ballistic if this happens and leave forever.

You'll go ballistic for legal reasons? What, was there a clause in your

contract that read "And the undersigned agrees to go ballistic upon
recieving storyline suggestions..."

Please realize that there ARE going to be people kicking around ideas for

episodes here... although (I assume) most of us realize that you guys
have ideas and don't need ours... but why would you leave if we discuss a
few concepts on the NG? What about fanfic?

> NO. The new series takes place roughly two hundred years from the first.

> It is a future Cybertron, changed from the original, as the course of
> history changes all societies. AutoBots and Decepticons still exist, but

> the dominant groups are the Maximals and the Predacons. Just as there

> is more than one Dave, Camille, Larry or Sally on earth, there is more
> than one Optimus and Megatron on Cybertron.

We've had a discussion along these lines before... I believe it was about
Ransack (Deluxe Insecticon) and Ransack (Rotor Force)...

> 2) Will we ever see AutoBots or decepticons? It is a definite possibility
> for later seasons, but you won't see any in the first season (wellll,
> maybe one, but you'll have to look carefully).

Background joke? I love those...

> Now a few general comments: I note many of you are clinging wildly to the
> old familiar Transformers. That's okay, it's human nature to be afraid of
> change.

I'm not sure it's fear...

> But change is what is happening here people. Both Bob and I are fully
> aware of the old show and we are adamant about producing a BETTER show.

Of course. I'd expect no less (of your intent, anyway.)

> As beast wars continues, we'll be answering some of the questions I've
> seen here and adding some new mysteries as well. It's our hope to produce
> a science fiction adventure show that relies less on heated robot battles
> than it does on characterization, wonder and good story.

Good. Character bits are my favorites.

> UPCOMING: Both the Predacons and the Maximals will be getting female
> members in the first season, one on each side. It's a trend we hope to
> continue.

COOL. Damn shame it's too late to have Cheetor be female... I dunno,
somehow female cheetahs seem more threatening...

Then again, I may just be influenced by a particular lycanthope
cheetah... who should get her own comic book...

(Okay, Brit. I've spoken nice about you, get yer claws out of my skull...
*what*? No, I will not... OW OW OW OW...)

And she's beautiful and smart and funny... (OW OW OW)

(Pause while M Sipher goes to find something to plug up the puncture
wounds in his cranium.)

> Now I ask you one - Can anybody tell me what the Golden Disk is?

Voyager disk. I knew this months before the show aired... thanks, Spanky!

M "Thank You, Fred Perry, For Making Us Laugh At Greivous Personal Injury,
Again" Sipher

Eric Harding

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

It's the recored disk off the Voyager probe launched in the late 70's/early
80's.

Eric

Zobovor001

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

In article <4lrnsc$g...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, unicr...@aol.com
(Unicron2K5) writes:

>This introduces a rather sticky situation we haven't had to deal with
>before... certain BeastWars fanfics could fall into dangerous territory,
>especially if based on the cartoon directly. This is something we
>definitely need to discuss, and don't go ballistic about freedom and
>expression; Larry has said he will leave if that sort of thing happens
>here and that's the simplest way out- but I certainly don't want that to
>happen.
>Let's discuss options

The solution is simple. If you're posting a fanfic, type "FANFIC" in your
header so Mr. DiTillio knows not to read it; and if any of you are afraid
someone will steal your ideas, then don't post them!

"Those creeps! Swiping my idea! I'll sue!"

--Brainstorm, "The Rebirth"

Strafe

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

John Szymanski (szym...@ccmac.canisius.edu) wrote:
: Larry DiTillio writes:
: Now I ask you one -Can anybody tell me what the Golden Disk is?
:
If you freeze frame the video it sure looks like one of the gold
plated disks that were put on the Voyager spacecrafts.
-Joe-

-Joe Aycock (joe...@gate.net) (www.gate.net/~joeaux)
-Lover of all things Macintosh, OS/2 or Unix, and collector
-of Transformers.
-"Judges Disqualify 'Little Milton' In Last Minute Rumpus"
-The St.Cleve Chronicle; Friday, January 7th 1972

msipher

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

On 26 Apr 1996, Unicron2K5 wrote:

> //You'll go ballistic for legal reasons? What, was there a clause in your

> contract that read "And the undersigned agrees to go ballistic upon
> recieving storyline suggestions..."

> //
>
> He's not joking, people. The producer of Babylon5 used to hang out in the
> main B5 newsgroup but made the same warning- enough people tossed plot
> ideas around that he had to leave and only answers in a moderated
> newsgroup now. It's simple legal red tape; if someone here suggests, say,
> that Optimus Primal should have a lisp and it actually happens on the
> show, the production team is vulnerable to legal hassles.

I fully understand that, I was just trying to make light of the use of
"ballistic"...

> This introduces a rather sticky situation we haven't had to deal with
> before... certain BeastWars fanfics could fall into dangerous territory,
> especially if based on the cartoon directly.

I am SO glad I started my BW fanfic long before I knew the show's plot...
I keep saying I need to work on the next part, but never actually get
around to it...

> This is something we
> definitely need to discuss, and don't go ballistic about freedom and
> expression; Larry has said he will leave if that sort of thing happens
> here and that's the simplest way out- but I certainly don't want that to
> happen.

Indeed. I fully appreciate the fact that he's willing to "talk" to us and
give us insights into the show... I'd hate to have him leave pissed off.

> Let's discuss options.

I dunno, really. I mean, I REALLY don't want to have a situation where
fanfic based on the BW cartoon is "banned"... but again, I fully
understand the potential legal troubles if something that appeared in a
fanfic occurs in the cartoon, even if it's purely by coincidence.

And advance warning about events in the series... well dammit, that would
just ruin everything. Where's the surprise and suspense? I'd RATHER be
kept in the dark about specific events. Sure, I welcome news about female
characters, the fact that they're going to explain their location later
in the serires... but that's all vague info.

I really don't know. The only thing I can think of is that we all hold on
to any BW fanfic based on the cartoon series until after it's over.

M "Hard At Work On *Optimus Primal At The University Of Minnesota*" Sipher

The Daniel Weber

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

diti...@aol.com (DiTillio) said:
]
]Energon crystals are not the same as energon cubes, however as coal

]becomes diamonds, so do energon crystals eventually stabilize into
]cubes.
]

Coal doesn't stabilize into a diamond. Diamonds are less atable,
and will actually revert to coal at standard temperature and pressure.

(Don't mean to be mean, DiTillio, 'cause I think you are the real
deal, unlike that now-absent "Transformer Consultant," but there are
some nits I feel the urge to pick. :> )

-D

"Scourge, the tracker...
And his huntsmen, the sweeps."

Lizard

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

On 24 Apr 1996 19:16:01 -0400, diti...@aol.com (DiTillio) wrote:

>2) Don't post or e-mail me any story plots or suggestions. For legal
>reasons I will go ballistic if this happens and leave forever.

Just so we don't run into any future problems, I think we need to be
clear on 'story ideas' vs 'speculation'.

For example, if I were to say, "I think character X is not all he
seems to be, and we'll probably see an episode where that is
revealed", that strikes me as hardly a 'story idea' -- just an
interpretation of the series. Likewise, the posts in response to yours
dealing with the nature of the golden disk are, or should be
considered, harmless.

Is this a correct understanding of the legal situation?
*-------------------------------------------------------*
Compassion is no virtue, cruelty is no vice:Skorponok
Make deals, not war:Swindle

Ivy Bohnlein

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/28/96

msipher (msi...@nando.net) wrote:

: On 24 Apr 1996, DiTillio wrote:

: > 2) Don't post or e-mail me any story plots or suggestions. For legal
: > reasons I will go ballistic if this happens and leave forever.

: You'll go ballistic for legal reasons? What, was there a clause in your

: contract that read "And the undersigned agrees to go ballistic upon
: recieving storyline suggestions..."

I can understand this. If we say, "Ooo, do an episode like this," there
is the potential for a lawsuit, even if our suggestion had no true
influence on the final product. It has happened to musicians before,
and I can see the concern here. However, I also think that it's unavoidable
on this newsgroup, with all of the speculations and fanfic that fly
around.

Given the choice between no more discussion of BeastWars and losing this
consultant, I'd have to say adios to the consultant, no offense.

Ivy
--
===================== Bohn...@acmelabs.uhc.asu.edu =====================

If you put a hundred convertible purple gorillas in a
room with a hundred brains in a hundred vats,
would you eventually create our universe?
============= Philosophy is often stranger than fiction ================

Iggy Drougge

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/28/96

Marc (m...@news-srv.wam.umd.edu) wrote:
: First of all I was wondering when the show aired?

: Now I want to admitt that I haven't seen the show yet so I'm not
: extremely stable on my veiws here, but Transformers Beast Wars??? Come
: on now. The original Transformers was among the best shows ever in
: existence. I grew up on the toys, and personally feel that transformers
: was one of the things that set our generation from others. When I walked
: in to toys-r-us and saw the Beast Wars toys I was a little disapointed.
: I mean come on look what they did to Optamus Prime, look what they did to
: the man who was the hero to thousands of children around the world. They
: turned him into a bat! I couldn't believe it. And Megatron a aligator?
: What were they thinking?

They were thinking that the usual vehicle TFs didn't sell very well, and
thus redid the line. The bat and crocodile forms will be unused, as it
seems, though, in favour of the gorilla and T-rex forms of OP and
Megatron. Today, animals sell better than cars and planes. Why can't this
bat/gorilla be the new hero of thousands of kids over the world? Does
this hero have to be a red truck?

: I just read the post explaining alot of the basic premise of the

: show and well I'm still a little upset. Now I'm sure that if I were ten
: years old again I wouldn't think of most of these complaints, but robots
: turning into organic animals. (well of course organic animals, how many
: animals aren't organic? Well I just wanted to emphasize the organic
: beings part.) I mean how does that work? I'm sure I wouldn't have
: bought that as a kid. ANother thing are you saying

Why wouldn't that work? Seems to work just as well as robots turning into
vehicles. You'll get used to it.

: that the animal forms are going to have different personalitys then the

: robots? And what's this about not having two headed characters on the
: show because it's too difficult to come up with personalitys? Come on,
: I'm sure the writers of the original wouldn't have let that stop them.
: Or at least I like to think it wouldn't have stop them.

I'm glad that this show isn't ruined by the old writers, but has more
serious writers, from the outlook of things. What I think he meants was
that it was a lot of job to model the characters for rendering, and the
heads are not the easiest to model.

: All in all the whole idea does sound alittle ... well, lame. Of

: course I haven't seen the show so I'm not saying it's lame, I'm just
: saying that it sounds a little weak. In case any one just skipped down
: to the bottom here, then all I really want to know is when the show airs
: and on what channel. THanks

I've neither the show, nor the toys, save for scanned pictures, but I
like what I've seen and heard. The idea may not be the best, but is just
as good as the old one.

--
=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=
__/\__ /// /// __/\__

SUZANNE M FERREE

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/28/96

: (Unicron2K5) writes:
: >This introduces a rather sticky situation we haven't had to deal with

: >before... certain BeastWars fanfics could fall into dangerous territory,

|sf>Actually, I could have sworn that we talked about the dangers of
Fanfic before (back in the summer of 1994 Fanfic was one of the reasons
why we decided not to go ahead w/ a rec.toys.transformers). Granted, it
wasn't exactly the same type of danger...

The only thing that worries me is (I'm not sure if I'm phrasing
this correctly...) does this affect simple "innocent" type threads?
I mean, can I still type things like "such-and-such should have
been purple/renamed/female because..." Should I take the names of made-up
TF characters (and their song titles) out of my Cleveland .signature
file? (I'll be using that account to post again starting in early May, so
I'll need to know). And what about the many TF WWW sites? What, for
example, about the threads where we try to explain plot holes in the old
series? When the new series starts in the fall, will we have to put a
warning in the subject line that it's a plot hole thread or something.
(I'd rather worry about that now than in the fall when the series starts).
I mean, Fanfics & plot ideas/threads...I can understand. However,
is there anything else we should be worried about?

: >especially if based on the cartoon directly. This is something we

: >definitely need to discuss, and don't go ballistic about freedom and
: >expression; Larry has said he will leave if that sort of thing happens
: >here and that's the simplest way out- but I certainly don't want that to
: >happen.

: >Let's discuss options

:
: The solution is simple. If you're posting a fanfic, type "FANFIC" in your
: header so Mr. DiTillio knows not to read it; and if any of you are afraid
: someone will steal your ideas, then don't post them!

Another suggestion is that Mr. DiTillio could put the words
"Fanfic FANFIC fanfic FanFic" in his killfile. That way whenever the word
Fanfic would be in the subject line it would be deleted from his list
of articles. That should work in the majority of cases, since I've
tried as hard as I can to get people to put "Fanfic/FANFIC/fanfic" in
their subject lines. (I mean, it's even in the FAQ!)
--
Suzanne Ferree (an alt.toys.transformers fan)
E-mail: sfe...@s-cwis.unomaha.edu

Dirge

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

diti...@aol.com (DiTillio) writes:

>Greetings Transformer fanatics:

>In case you missed my first post I am one of the Story Editors of Beast
>Wars
>(along with the estimable Bob Forward who wrote the pilot you've all just
>seen).

You know, even though I haven't seen the show (and it might be a while
before I do see it), I think it's pretty cool that someone from the
production team is communicating with the fans.

>1) Don't ask me for a job with the show of any kind. We have been at
>this since last November and have a full staff. Besides the show is
>produced in Canada and that's a helluva commute for most of you.

Nah, it's only about an 18 hour flight (:
Even if I could, I doubt I'd want to work on a TF/BW cartoon, it makes
the cartoon more .. mysterious .. I guess.

>1) Are Optimus Primal and Megatron the same characters from the old
>series? -

>NO. The new series takes place roughly two hundred years from the first.

>It is a future Cybertron, changed from the original, as the course of
>history changes all societies. AutoBots and Decepticons still exist, but
>the dominant groups are the Maximals and the Predacons. Just as there
>is more than one Dave, Camille, Larry or Sally on earth, there is more
>than one Optimus and Megatron on Cybertron.

Sounds reasonable. I'd be curious as to whether or not the names were in
honour of the big red truck and the grey gun. I happen to think Optimus
Primal is a choice name, for another character. I wont go into why, but
I'm sure it's not too hard to guess why.

>2) Will we ever see AutoBots or decepticons? It is a definite possibility
>for later seasons, but you won't see any in the first season (wellll,
>maybe one, but you'll have to look carefully).

That's providing I get to see the first series. OK, here's a question for
Larry, do you have any idea if the show's been bought by an Australian
interest? (Please please please not cable!)

>Now a few general comments: I note many of you are clinging wildly to the
>old familiar Transformers. That's okay, it's human nature to be afraid of
>change.

Hey, I welcome it. I've only got four Predacon figures to go by, but this
seems to be a cool part of TF. Firstly, it has a cartoon to go
with it, unlike say the Turbomasters (heck they never even reached the
US), second the toys are posable and well built. BWTF beats the G2 line
in my opinion, it has a cartoon, new figures (not recolours), defined
characters, not a whole bunch of war-crazed autobots like G2 had so many
of (just look at the first six GoBots cards)

>But change is what is happening here people. Both Bob and I are fully
>aware of the old show and we are adamant about producing a BETTER show.

>As beast wars continues, we'll be answering some of the questions I've
>seen here and adding some new mysteries as well. It's our hope to produce
>a science fiction adventure show that relies less on heated robot battles
>than it does on characterization, wonder and good story.

In that case, I hope it's around for a while. I was against the TF name
being dropped, but it's still there, so I don't mind Beast Wars being the
whole TF line.

>UPCOMING: Both the Predacons and the Maximals will be getting female
>members in the first season, one on each side. It's a trend we hope to
>continue.

This is rhetorical (since I'll know soon anyway), but will these females
actually have figures (Arcee's biggest drawback for me was that you
couldn't buy her)

>DiTillio - Maximize!

Darren, whose going to Terrorise, since all his BWTF toys (except the
happy meal guys) are predacons (:
--
M"@D)5&AI<R!M97-S86=E('=I;&P@<V5L9BUD97-T<G5C="!I;B!F:79E('-E M8V]N9',N"@D)"55N;&5S<R!Y;W4@87-K(&AI;2!N:6-E;'D@;F]T('1O+@H*
M"0D)4&QE87-E(&1O(&YO="!F965D('1H92!D971O;F%T;W(N"@D)"51H86YK M('EO=2!F;W(@>6]U<B!C;RUO<&5R871I;VXN"@D)"0E(879E(&$@;FEC92!D 987D@*#H*"@H)"0D)(" @("A"3T]-(2$I"FXN

Dirge

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

msipher <msi...@nando.net> writes:

>On 24 Apr 1996, DiTillio wrote:

>> NO. The new series takes place roughly two hundred years from the first.
>> It is a future Cybertron, changed from the original, as the course of
>> history changes all societies. AutoBots and Decepticons still exist, but
>> the dominant groups are the Maximals and the Predacons. Just as there
>> is more than one Dave, Camille, Larry or Sally on earth, there is more
>> than one Optimus and Megatron on Cybertron.

>We've had a discussion along these lines before... I believe it was about

>Ransack (Deluxe Insecticon) and Ransack (Rotor Force)...

Other pairs include:

Eagle Eye (Skyscorcher)/Eagle Eye (Micromaster)
Sky High (Pretender)/Sky High (Micromaster)
Smokescreen (Car)/Smokescreen (Jet)
Barrage (Deluxe Insecticon)/Barrage (Micromaster Combiner)
Lightspeed (Technobot)/Lightspeed (Motorvator)
Afterburner (Technobot)/Afterburner (Skyscorcher)
Manta Ray (Rotor Force)/Manta Ray (McBeast)
Dreadwing (Powermaster)/Dreadwing (G2 Stealth plane)
And then there's Iguanas - Though I like to think they are same one. I
don't yet know what to make of Scorponok.

Darren, who wonders if he forgot any pairs..

Dan Campbell

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

> I keep saying I need to work on the next part, but never actually get
> around to it...

I got a square one, once...

> > This is something we
> > definitely need to discuss, and don't go ballistic about freedom and
> > expression; Larry has said he will leave if that sort of thing happens
> > here and that's the simplest way out- but I certainly don't want that to
> > happen.
>

> Indeed. I fully appreciate the fact that he's willing to "talk" to us and
> give us insights into the show... I'd hate to have him leave pissed off.

Would it fix the problem to put a disclaimer in the header of the Fanfic
along the lines of

"The following is a work of fiction. Any and all similarity to any
aspect of the Beast Wars production, present or future, is fully
unintentional, and I hereby waive all claims to any copyrights on this
material -- it is fully public domain."

or some such? And I make the same waive of claims -- if this is
acceptable, the above statement has no adherence to me, and I have no
intention of keeping people from using it on future fanfics.

> And advance warning about events in the series... well dammit, that would
> just ruin everything. Where's the surprise and suspense? I'd RATHER be
> kept in the dark about specific events. Sure, I welcome news about female
> characters, the fact that they're going to explain their location later
> in the serires... but that's all vague info.

Yeah, what you said. It's like explaining a joke _before_ you tell it,
and people _still_ don't find it funny...

Dan Campbell

CMauro3927

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

Personally, I do not think that the fanfics regarding any Beast War story
plots will be in any danger of being used by the staff of the cartoon.
I'm sure they have their own set story line and plots set in a particular
universe.

SUZANNE M FERREE

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

|sf>Looks like another case of my news server receiving the replies
before the message...I'm still going to edit stuff though...

DiTillio (diti...@aol.com) wrote:
: Greetings Transformer fanatics:
:
Well, I don't usually use that term, but ok. :)

<Ground rules editted since other people have already repeated them>
:
: And now, a few answers to questions recieved:
:
: 1) Are Optimus Primal and Megatron the same characters from the old
: series? -
:
: NO. The new series takes place roughly two hundred years from the first.

Considering the long "Is Galvatron Megatron?" thread that we
had going on for a very long time earlier this year I hate to say this,
but in a way that was a smart move...

: It is a future Cybertron, changed from the original, as the course of

: history changes all societies. AutoBots and Decepticons still exist, but
: the dominant groups are the Maximals and the Predacons. Just as there
: is more than one Dave, Camille, Larry or Sally on earth, there is more
: than one Optimus and Megatron on Cybertron.

:
: 2) Will we ever see AutoBots or decepticons? It is a definite possibility

: for later seasons, but you won't see any in the first season (wellll,
: maybe one, but you'll have to look carefully).

You'd be amazed how carefully some people on this newsgroup
look through eps. >:) (For example, I never knew about the yellow
Shockwave 'til I heard it on this group.)

: 3) How do the beast Wars Transformers transform? The process of how a

: Transformer is "born" will be detailed in one of my scripts. So you'll
: have to wait.

:
Again, I'm not surprised. :) I mean, there are already VS
method from the cartoons, the Quint method from the cartoons,
the "Grimlock's New Brain" method from the cartoons, the Creation
Matrix method from the comics, & the budding method from the comics.
(and these even exclude the 2 fanfic methods which I'm obviously
not going to mention). Therefore, the more the merrier. :)

: 4) Some of the toys have two heads? Will you be using these in the series?

: NO. It was bad enough having to build 20 characters (remember each robot
: is also an animal, so every one character is actually 2). The extra heads
: would be both tough to build and use in dramatic form, so we decided not
: to.

I'm glad to hear that. (I haven't seen the cartoon yet--it airs
here on Friday--but I am also glad to hear that you chose Waspinator's
"mutant" head as the head. I really think that's the coolest one. :) ).

: Those questions were from Zobovor, hope you like the answers.
:
: Now a few general comments: I note many of you are clinging wildly to the

: old familiar Transformers. That's okay, it's human nature to be afraid of
: change.

Hmmm, "clinging wildly to the old familiar Transformers." I
suppose that's true for some people. It depends on how you define
the words "old" & "familiar." Some people *do* only care about the
pre-movie TFs. A proportion of us might only care about the
pre-movie TFs & post-movie cartoon TFs. A great majority only care
about those that made it into the TF comic.
However, some people (like me) when they buy a TF toy look
at the tech spec & decide "Hmmm, would this guy fit in w/ my continuity.
He would! I can imagine it now..." Maybe that's why my favorite TFs
span several years. True, Starscream & Grimlock (my fav 'con & 'bot)
were first year, but I have further favorites...Seaspray...true, he's
also pre-movie. However, I also like Mindwipe (last season cartoons,
who in the US only had 3 eps to show himself off...and I liked him
BEFORE I saw the Japanese eps) even though I never got his toy. I like
Beta & she was only in 1 ep. Lastly, my final favorite is Hooligan and
he never got a comic NOR a cartoon ep--I like him because of his
possibilities.
Therefore, the "old" and "familar" parts aren't always
required. True, I defend Starscream no matter what, but that's because
the character Starscream helped me find "myself" a very long time ago.
If you can make an impact on some sixth grader of today the way that
Starscream did on me, then may all the power in the world help you.
You will have truly rescued another life.
Here we go again...the old pun about Transfans being afraid
of change... :)

: But change is what is happening here people. Both Bob and I are fully

: aware of the old show and we are adamant about producing a BETTER show.

Well, just remember that some kids saw the old show as TF G2,
so it isn't just 80s TF fans who remember the old show...

: As beast wars continues, we'll be answering some of the questions I've

: seen here and adding some new mysteries as well. It's our hope to produce

Yup, having mysteries is fun. :) (Which is one of the reasons
why IMO X-Men went down hill...they didn't leave anything left to discuss).

: a science fiction adventure show that relies less on heated robot battles

: than it does on characterization, wonder and good story.

I'm glad that you believe in the science fiction show part. I'm
also glad that you believe in characterization & writing. As many
people know, I usually list my favorite cartoons of all time (1 TFs, 2 Eek,
3 D&D, 4 Starblazers, etc.) and every single one of those that's stayed
on there for more than a year was because of good writing. If there's
one thing I've learned from watching some of the Headmasters eps (I
still haven't watched them all...) it's that battles have to be done
carefully or they'll last too long. :)
IMO animation or video game graphics are only eye candy unless
there's writing or play control to back them up. As I've said, I still
have to see everything for myself, but so far it sounds as if the writing
was done w/ care in mind (and everyone continues to rave about the
graphics... :) ). For example, I like Reboot, but I watched it for the
characters...not the graphics. The graphics are just the prize in
the bottom of the box of cereal so to speak...a bonus.

: UPCOMING: Both the Predacons and the Maximals will be getting female

: members in the first season, one on each side. It's a trend we hope to
: continue.

Yup, females are fun. :) I agree w/ what Ivy said...we've got
to cross our fingers & hope that there are toys that go along w/ them. :)
(Sounds like another duo that I'll *try* to like...don't know yet if I'll
end up liking them--after all, the only female TF I've excessively liked
so far has been Beta--but I'll try to give them the fair shot that I
always try to give characters...especially females. :) ).

: Beast Mode is not a shell game, when the Maximals and Predacons become

Shell game. Another pun, I suppose? This time a pun on
Pretenders (the TFs who had shells) perhaps?

: beasts, they are for all intent and purpose, fully functional organic

: forms. Thus they are more vulnerable in beast mode.

Makes sense (kind of...). After all, the Dinobots were
more vulnerable in robot mode.

: Energon crystals are not the same as energon cubes, however as coal

: becomes diamonds, so do energon crystals eventually stabilize into cubes.

Oooo-key...sounds like Soundwave is kind of expendable then...
(sorry Raksha...just looking at the facts...). I mean, there were
energon pools on Paradron, but I kind of always thought energon was
a liquid. (Of course, water has a crystaline form as ice, so I guess
by assumption...).

Alexander Hart

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

: Now I want to admitt that I haven't seen the show yet so I'm not
: extremely stable on my veiws here, but Transformers Beast Wars??? Come
: on now.
Before you rag on Mr. DiTillo, you should realize that neither he,
nor his company created Beast Wars. Hasbro did. They're just trying to
make sense of it!!

: The original Transformers was among the best shows ever in

: existence. I grew up on the toys, and personally feel that transformers
: was one of the things that set our generation from others. When I walked
: in to toys-r-us and saw the Beast Wars toys I was a little disapointed.
: I mean come on look what they did to Optamus Prime, look what they did to
: the man who was the hero to thousands of children around the world. They
: turned him into a bat! I couldn't believe it. And Megatron a aligator?
: What were they thinking?

They were thinking that they needed a new take on Transformers for
the current generation of kids who didn't grow up with the original
Transformers like we did. Sure, long-time fans aren't too thrilled, but
the other option is for Transformers to go belly up again - for good.
Just be happy that they're still around!

: I just read the post explaining alot of the basic premise of the
: show and well I'm still a little upset. Now I'm sure that if I were ten
: years old again I wouldn't think of most of these complaints, but robots
: turning into organic animals. (well of course organic animals, how many
: animals aren't organic? Well I just wanted to emphasize the organic
: beings part.) I mean how does that work? I'm sure I wouldn't have
: bought that as a kid.

You wouldn't have? Seriously, I'm sure when we were kids, we
wouldn't have thought that deeply about something like this.
As for robots turning into organic animals - it's genetic
engineering. They're robots on the inside, artificial flesh on the
outside. Doesn't seem like to much more of a stretch than transforming
robots!

: ANother thing are you saying that the animal forms are going to have

: different personalitys then the robots?

That's not what he said at all. The animal forms do indeed have
the same personalities as their robot forms. What DiTillo said was that
when the robots are in their animal forms they operate, for all intents
and purposes, as real organic animals (and are thus more vulernable in
animal form).

: And what's this about not having two headed characters on the show

: because it's too difficult to come up with personalitys? Come on,
: I'm sure the writers of the original wouldn't have let that stop them.
: Or at least I like to think it wouldn't have stop them.

This isn't what he meant, either. The deluxe action figures have
two heads in robot form - a robot head and a mutant animal head. These
characters are indeed in the new show, but they only use one head instead
of the two because it would be a lot of work to create a 3-D computer
model of a second head - paritcularly considering that the second head is
really not necessary.

: All in all the whole idea does sound alittle ... well, lame. Of
: course I haven't seen the show so I'm not saying it's lame, I'm just
: saying that it sounds a little weak.

Once again, the Beast Wars concept was Hasbro's idea. They're the
ones to blame if you don't like it. The folks working on the show are the
ones who are trying to make the concept into something worthwhile - and so
far they've done a fine job with what Hasbro's given them to work with!

--Alex

DAVID G TASHJIAN

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

I'm feeling a little more thoughtful today, so I'll share what few
thoughts I have with the group... First off, I missed the sneak-peek
in Cincinnati. (found out a day too late. <DOH!>) So, I really can't
comment on the show itself too much.

Dirge (dj...@uow.edu.au) wrote:

: >diti...@aol.com (DiTillio) writes:
: >Greetings Transformer fanatics:
: >In case you missed my first post I am one of the Story Editors of Beast
: >Wars (along with the estimable Bob Forward who wrote the pilot you've
: >all just seen).

Welcome to the group maite... Don;t panic & run if people around here
doubt who you are. There was a large ongoing arguement with a spammer
of of Canada who claimed he had some ultra-rare/violent version of the
original TF-movie. After that, paranoia has been a bit high here & there.

: >1) Are Optimus Primal and Megatron the same characters from the old
: >series? -
: >NO. The new series takes place roughly two hundred years from the first.

In a sence I'm kind-of glad to hear that. While it does separate
itself mostly from the realm of the Gen1 story it has some kind of history.
And I can bet money that a few folks will create fanfics on that topic.
I'm also curious as to how/if you folks will approach that issue. (no,
Don't tell me... I want a surprise.)

: >It is a future Cybertron, changed from the original, as the course of
: >history changes all societies. AutoBots and Decepticons still exist, but
: >the dominant groups are the Maximals and the Predacons.

Now this is a problem I have. (not that I can fix it or anything) :]
I'm not particularly fond of how Hasbro/Kenner/Whoever decided that
recycling names was a good thing. (IE: the GI Joe figure "Predacon" the
Decepticon gestalt team "The Predacons", and now the faction named "Evil
Predacon") I dunno. I think this is more of a pet peeve than anything
else. Just as I'm not real fond of the name Dinobot, or Insecticon.
Of course, I'm basing my argument as if these things were real live
critters. In the wonderous world of suits and market share the continuity
of fiction is kinda moot. The producers that be want thier allmighty
dollar and if they manage to start a craze they are gonna buy a new BMW. :v]
(yah, low blow, but I'm not real fond of toy execs. in general)

: >2) Will we ever see AutoBots or decepticons? It is a definite possibility
: >for later seasons, but you won't see any in the first season (wellll,
: >maybe one, but you'll have to look carefully).

This kinda hits on my Beast Wars history question. I'll assume it will
eventually be approached and leave it at that.

: >Now a few general comments: I note many of you are clinging wildly to the
: >old familiar Transformers. That's okay, it's human nature to be afraid of
: >change.

True & false... I think what got a lot of us hooked were the original
group of toys. For a number of reasons, for example the Tech-spec. card for
the original release were some of the best done blurbs of the series. --
there were exceptions here and there though. Generation 2 had a serious
lack of good writing on the toys and lacked a cartoon to properly back it up.
To me, Beast Wars' spec cards are still leaving a bit to be desired, but
that's just my rotten opinion, and you folks don't necessarily have to stick
100% to that card either.

: Hey, I welcome it. I've only got four Predacon figures to go by, but this

: seems to be a cool part of TF. Firstly, it has a cartoon to go
: with it, unlike say the Turbomasters (heck they never even reached the
: US), second the toys are posable and well built. BWTF beats the G2 line
: in my opinion, it has a cartoon, new figures (not recolours), defined
: characters, not a whole bunch of war-crazed autobots like G2 had so many
: of (just look at the first six GoBots cards)

I don't agree here. I admit, the Gobots are a real blotch on the
TF line as a whole, second only to the Pretenders. The toys were posable,
(the later ones IE: Laser rods, Cyberjets, laser Cycles, Dreadwing) in
many cases, with some exceptions as well. But you're right. They lacked
the media blitz that Beast Wars is doing. I mean, a Dairy Queen special?
(I think I stumbled across mine only recently, and it's a joke.) Despite
the names being doofy and the so-so specs. I like to think of them as
"Pretenders done right". My Girlfriend though refers to the line as
"Pumba & his Lunch", followed by how it trashes the old TF cannon.

: >But change is what is happening here people. Both Bob and I are fully
: >aware of the old show and we are adamant about producing a BETTER show.

: >As beast wars continues, we'll be answering some of the questions I've
: >seen here and adding some new mysteries as well. It's our hope to produce

: >a science fiction adventure show that relies less on heated robot battles
: >than it does on characterization, wonder and good story.

: In that case, I hope it's around for a while. I was against the TF name

: being dropped, but it's still there, so I don't mind Beast Wars being the
: whole TF line.

If this is true, then this could be a winner. There just aren't too
many cartoons out there that kids and adults can watch and both of them
get some meaning out of it. I site 3 examples:
The adventures of Peter Pan -- on more than one occasion the villan Capt.
Hook shows a more philsophical(SP!) side either at midpoint when
Wendy challenges him as a "gentleman" or at the end when he knows his
actions aren't the best, but he's doomed to repeat them for whatever
reason.
Exo-Squad -- I loved this show, despite it's constant shooting, whirring
E-Frames, etc.. It also had it's lame points (the Exo-Scouts: UGH!) and
more adult moments too. (IE: Nara Burns' brother dies saving Marsala
from Venus-based rebels) The other thing I liked but parents probably
didn't like was the compliment of Neosapiens in Exo-suits getting killed
every once in a while. How I hated in GI Joe that the Cobra folks always
ejected before the plane blew up or managed to jump out of the tank
before it blew up (as if they were psychic--and if they were why fight
with GI Joe they always lost in the end?)
Phantom 2040 -- I haven;t seen too many eps. of this, but each one tends
to have two msgs. the constant is "save this rock called Earth!" The other
varies from each episode. Some that stand out are the "search for my own
identity" stories. Or the artificial lifeform that plays the blues on a
sax. You get the idea. Don't do roll call and have the latest members
stomp the baddies and then dissapear into the archives only to be seen
again for a couple of episodes. It's all I ask, but it sounds like you
aren't going that route anyway, so I won;t rant much longer...

: >UPCOMING: Both the Predacons and the Maximals will be getting female
: >members in the first season, one on each side. It's a trend we hope to
: >continue.

: This is rhetorical (since I'll know soon anyway), but will these females

: actually have figures (Arcee's biggest drawback for me was that you
: couldn't buy her)

If so, I'll bet Kenner Short-packs them just to make everyone bonkers!
And we'll see the wall of Beast Wars which will look like the Wall of
Batman, Wall of Superman, and who could forget the Wall of Spawn figures.
Short packs suck, but this is the evil machinations of suits with lobotomys
here, and there is little that can be done about it.

Hex.
[ Can't wait to get his BW wolf so he can have a Hispo form Garou. ]

Dan Campbell

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

> I'm feeling a little more thoughtful today, so I'll share what few
> thoughts I have with the group... First off, I missed the sneak-peek
> in Cincinnati. (found out a day too late. <DOH!>) So, I really can't
> comment on the show itself too much.

Hey Dave, where do you hang out on campus? I'll be making copies
soon...

> I'm also curious as to how/if you folks will approach that issue. (no,
> Don't tell me... I want a surprise.)

:)

> : >It is a future Cybertron, changed from the original, as the course of
> : >history changes all societies. AutoBots and Decepticons still exist, but
> : >the dominant groups are the Maximals and the Predacons.
> Now this is a problem I have. (not that I can fix it or anything) :]
> I'm not particularly fond of how Hasbro/Kenner/Whoever decided that
> recycling names was a good thing.

Join the crowd... :|

> Of course, I'm basing my argument as if these things were real live
> critters. In the wonderous world of suits and market share the continuity
> of fiction is kinda moot. The producers that be want thier allmighty
> dollar and if they manage to start a craze they are gonna buy a new BMW. :v]
> (yah, low blow, but I'm not real fond of toy execs. in general)

Start your own company? Apply for a job with Kenner?

> To me, Beast Wars' spec cards are still leaving a bit to be desired, but
> that's just my rotten opinion, and you folks don't necessarily have to

That's not a very rotten opinion :) But after seeing the pilots, you
won't worry so much.

Despite
> the names being doofy and the so-so specs. I like to think of them as
> "Pretenders done right". My Girlfriend though refers to the line as
> "Pumba & his Lunch", followed by how it trashes the old TF cannon.

8) Astute observer...

> [ Can't wait to get his BW wolf so he can have a Hispo form Garou. ]

run that by me again?

Dan, still to see a Cheetor, much less any of the other new ones...

Ivy Bohnlein

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

SUZANNE M FERREE (sfe...@s-cwis.unomaha.edu) wrote:

: DiTillio (diti...@aol.com) wrote:

: : 3) How do the beast Wars Transformers transform? The process of how a

: : Transformer is "born" will be detailed in one of my scripts. So you'll
: : have to wait.

: :
: (and these even exclude the 2 fanfic methods which I'm obviously

: not going to mention). Therefore, the more the merrier. :)

: : UPCOMING: Both the Predacons and the Maximals will be getting female

: : members in the first season, one on each side. It's a trend we hope to
: : continue.

Heh heh heh... put them together, people! :) I am vindicated!
(well, I can pretend I am unitl that ep actually shows, anyway)

And just to put in somehing odd, I finally got a BW TF. It's Waspinator,
and I have to say that I like the *back* of his mutant head best. I
just turned it around to face front.

Spewing forth my thoughts... Ivy

Dirge

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

opt...@canit.se (Iggy Drougge) writes:

[...]

Yes Iggy, we know you hate the diaclone-based TFs (:

-> : I just read the post explaining alot of the basic premise of the
-> : show and well I'm still a little upset. Now I'm sure that if I were ten
-> : years old again I wouldn't think of most of these complaints, but robots
-> : turning into organic animals. (well of course organic animals, how many
-> : animals aren't organic? Well I just wanted to emphasize the organic
-> : beings part.) I mean how does that work? I'm sure I wouldn't have
-> : bought that as a kid. ANother thing are you saying

-> Why wouldn't that work? Seems to work just as well as robots turning into
-> vehicles. You'll get used to it.

The Dinobots were a popular subgroup of the original TFs.

If the toys are of a decent standard (which they are), it's not that hard
to swallow.

-> : that the animal forms are going to have different personalitys then the
-> : robots? And what's this about not having two headed characters on the
-> : show because it's too difficult to come up with personalitys? Come on,
-> : I'm sure the writers of the original wouldn't have let that stop them.
-> : Or at least I like to think it wouldn't have stop them.

-> I'm glad that this show isn't ruined by the old writers, but has more
-> serious writers, from the outlook of things. What I think he meants was
-> that it was a lot of job to model the characters for rendering, and the
-> heads are not the easiest to model.

The writing on the old cartoon wasn't that bad, Iggy. You have to
remember they had to fit the show into a 23 minute package, or a series
of 23 minute packages, which will have appeal. Some of the episodes did
suck, but from what I've heard, so did some comic issues.

The head issue has merit. There's only so much you can do in a head.
Horns, a crest like Springer's, a mouthpiece, there's not too many
features you can put on a robotic head. (I'm assuming the show has the
beast heads). And if they want to animate it well, they have to make a
3-D model from which to draw from. The heads on the toys aren't big
enough for this.

-> : All in all the whole idea does sound alittle ... well, lame. Of
-> : course I haven't seen the show so I'm not saying it's lame, I'm just
-> : saying that it sounds a little weak. In case any one just skipped down
-> : to the bottom here, then all I really want to know is when the show airs
-> : and on what channel. THanks

-> I've neither the show, nor the toys, save for scanned pictures, but I
-> like what I've seen and heard. The idea may not be the best, but is just
-> as good as the old one.

The toys aren't lame. I can't yet comment on the cartoon, but the toys
are good. They're posable, detailed. They're much more realistic animals
than most animal TFing toys out there. Waspinator actually looks kinda
creepy to me in beast mode. Even Rhino (The McBeast, which is made by
Takara along with most other TFs) looks fairly real. They don't have
clear windows & rubber tyres, but, considering the situation, I think
that's a good thing.

Darren.

JaZz

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

Iggy Drougge (opt...@canit.se) wrote:
: Marc (m...@news-srv.wam.umd.edu) wrote:
: : I just read the post explaining alot of the basic premise of the
: : show and well I'm still a little upset. Now I'm sure that if I were ten
: : years old again I wouldn't think of most of these complaints, but robots
: : turning into organic animals. (well of course organic animals, how many
: : animals aren't organic? Well I just wanted to emphasize the organic
: : beings part.) I mean how does that work? I'm sure I wouldn't have
: : bought that as a kid. ANother thing are you saying

Well if you have a hard time thinking of TF's turning into organic
animals, well you must have had a hard time with Terminator 1 & 2 then! I
know he didn't transform but he was a robot inside an organic form! ;-)

--
D.Jones A.K.A JaZz!!!
http://minyos.its.rmit.edu.au/~s9312763

Robert A. Jung

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

In article <4luga8$t...@news.asu.edu> bohn...@acmelabs.uhc.asu.edu (Ivy Bohnlein) writes:
>Given the choice between no more discussion of BeastWars and losing this
>consultant, I'd have to say adios to the consultant, no offense.

Mr. DiTillio is not saying to avoid discussions about BEAST WARS. He's just
saying that -- for legal reasons -- it's easiest for everyone involved if he
doesn't see any formal story proposals for the show. If we (1) mark any
detailed(*) plot ideas with spoiler warnings and (2) don't send him any BW
story proposals, everyone should be happy, I think.

(*) = Yeah, "detailed" is subjective, but a common-sense judgement call
should be sufficient.

--R.J.
B-)

"I write because I am personally amused by what I do, and if other people are
amused by it, then it's fine. If they're not, then that's also fine."
Send mail to rj...@netcom.com --Frank Zappa

Suzanne M. Ferree

May 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/11/96

In a previous article, bohn...@acmelabs.uhc.asu.edu (Ivy Bohnlein) says:

>SUZANNE M FERREE (sfe...@s-cwis.unomaha.edu) wrote:
>: DiTillio (diti...@aol.com) wrote:

>: : 3) How do the beast Wars Transformers transform? The process of how a

>: : Transformer is "born" will be detailed in one of my scripts. So you'll
>: : have to wait.

>: :
>: (and these even exclude the 2 fanfic methods which I'm obviously

>: not going to mention). Therefore, the more the merrier. :)
>

>: : UPCOMING: Both the Predacons and the Maximals will be getting female

>: : members in the first season, one on each side. It's a trend we hope to
>: : continue.
>

>Heh heh heh... put them together, people! :) I am vindicated!
>(well, I can pretend I am unitl that ep actually shows, anyway)

|sf>Ivy, I was thinking the *same thing!* :) That's why I said
"2 fanfic methods." :) Yours was one of them, of course.

>And just to put in somehing odd, I finally got a BW TF. It's Waspinator,
>and I have to say that I like the *back* of his mutant head best. I
>just turned it around to face front.

Well, I just like Waspinator's mutant head better anyway. :)
(It's cool & very much in the tradition of the G1 Insecticons). I
probably also like Waspinator's toy better than Dinobot, but it's a
close call. Of course, Dinobot hasn't had anything break up to this
point, whereas one of Waspinator's wing joints has kind of cracked so
that it's loose...oh well. I still transform Waspinator more often
than Dinobot. :) Both are better IMO than Cheetor though.

--
Suzanne Ferree | "Swinging Safari"
E-mail: ev...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu | "Eternal Flame"