TFTM concept art

Gregatron

Mar 3, 2002, 4:55:59 PM3/3/02
Here's a link to some original TFTM concept sketches by Floro Dery. They include:

Decepticon mothership
Sharktcon
Autobot shuttle under construction
Junkion/Quintesson shapceships
Autobot command center (Moon Base One)
War screen room (not seen in final film, apparently)

http://hometown.aol.com/kuest12

- Gregatron

crazysteve

Mar 4, 2002, 11:09:17 PM3/4/02
brund...@hotmail.com (Gregatron) wrote:
> Here's a link to some original TFTM concept sketches by Floro Dery.

. ...And here are my first impressions without having researched this
Floro Dery person's role in designing TFTM:
Wow. Floro seems to be the TFTM equivalent of what Ralph McQuarrie
was to Star Wars, which is odd because I thought the movie was
produced in Japan by Japanese (Dery's works apart from the TFTM
concepts don't stike me as being very Japanese). I wonder how much of
an overall role Floro played in designing TFTM-the Floro style seems
to have influenced much of the movie's look. It could be that Floro
was submitting designs with a certain style that was predefined by the
commissioning studio. I wonder if there are more design concepts from
TFTM in Floro's portfolio.

> They include:
> Decepticon mothership

Oooh..Very Majestic.

> Sharktcon

I like the 'chicken's feet' look the forearms have. Gnaw doesn't
look like a shark so much as he resembles a bloated mutant pirhana.
Pirhana attacks were big in the 80's-I wonder why they didn't just
call him Pirhanacon?

> Autobot shuttle under construction

This is just breathtaking-the smaller worker drone robots building
the ship are an interesting concept. This and the 'War Room' seem to
hint at the possibility of scenes not included in the final cut.

> Junkion/Quintesson shapceships

Odd that Floro has the Quint ship labeled as an Autobot ship. And
are there two Quintesson ships? I always thought there was only one,
but this seems to indicate otherwise.

> Autobot command center (Moon Base One)

Wow. This gives the command center a wide open, spacy ambiance. It
defenitely had a size of 10! The overall space looks HUGE. I never got
that feel in the movie-it seemed to me like Prime, Ironhide, and the
wall-sized, quad-screen monitor were crowded together in the first few
scenes.

> War screen room (not seen in final film, apparently)

Again, wow. I wonder if this would have been in the city or on Moon
Base 1.

--
the diabolical quad-screen crazysteve wall sized monitor with strength
of 10

Gregatron

Mar 5, 2002, 2:11:15 PM3/5/02
> > Sharktcon
>
> I like the 'chicken's feet' look the forearms have. Gnaw doesn't
> look like a shark so much as he resembles a bloated mutant pirhana.
> Pirhana attacks were big in the 80's-I wonder why they didn't just
> call him Pirhanacon?

This is a sketch that was translated into the Sharkticon's "toy"
design model sheet. It can also be seen in his TFU profile.

> > Autobot shuttle under construction
>
> This is just breathtaking-the smaller worker drone robots building
> the ship are an interesting concept. This and the 'War Room' seem to
> hint at the possibility of scenes not included in the final cut.

Actually, a poorly-rendered version of this storyboard can be seen in
issue 2 of the Movie adaptation, where the Autobots build two new
shuttles just before the second Decepticon attack (the shuttle
building is in the Movie script, too).

- Gregatron

crazysteve

Mar 5, 2002, 7:45:37 PM3/5/02
brund...@hotmail.com (Gregatron) wrote:
> > > Autobot shuttle under construction
> >
> > This is just breathtaking-the smaller worker drone robots building
> > the ship are an interesting concept. This and the 'War Room' seem to
> > hint at the possibility of scenes not included in the final cut.
> >

> Actually, a poorly-rendered version of this storyboard can be seen in
> issue 2 of the Movie adaptation, where the Autobots build two new
> shuttles just before the second Decepticon attack (the shuttle
> building is in the Movie script, too).
>
> - Gregatron

Oh, hey thanks. I never noticed that, and now I have a reason to go
back and revisit the comics! I love it when everything old is new
again. Do you have any idea why the comic is so dissimilar to the
movie? Leaving Hot Rod out of the Prime/Megatron death fight seems
like a huge oversight to me. Then there's that whole Ultra Magnus
drawn & quartered execution scene... Better yet, do you have a list of
all the scene differences between the comic adaptaion and the finished
movie? I know it can't be that long-can it?

--
longsteve
http://www.scrambledcity.com

Message has been deleted

crazysteve

Mar 30, 2002, 4:51:40 PM3/30/02
kues...@yahoo.com (kuest144) wrote:
> Hello. I know Floro Dery personally. All the designs for TFTM are his
> visual creations and styles. He designed the whole movie. The style
> was not predefined by Marvel studios. He was allowed to design
> whatever he wanted. There are about more than 300 original designs.
> Right now he is reducing them to a smaller size so he can post all of
> them on his web site. Stay tuned for these updates and check out his
> other designs.
> http://hometown.aol.com/kuest144

Wow! That's really cool! Why did Floro wait so long to showcase his
material, and why has he been relatively unknown in the TF communtiy
so far? I can imagine what a great interview subject he would be! Stan
Bush and Vince DiCola are worshipped by the fandom for their roles in
the movie, I'll bet Floro could be, too. Designing the whole movie is
a big deal. Does Floro see his work on TFTM as just another job, or is
he a big fan of the Transformers? Do you think he'd remember specifics
about the project even though it was 16 years ago?

--
wonderingsteve
http://www.scrambledcity.com

Message has been deleted

Jackpot

Apr 1, 2002, 5:15:45 PM4/1/02
Gregatron wrote:

> Here's a link to some original TFTM concept sketches by Floro Dery. They include:
>

> Sharktcon

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/kuest12/tramsformers.html?mtbrand=AOL_US

Y'know... Gnaw's face kind of reminds me of Torq III.

I wonder if Floro had been working on the TF show already when they
picked him up for the movie?

- Jackpot

--
| To contact me, please e-mail aquamandible [at] yahoo [dot] com.
|
| _ _ ______ http://spektakle.com ______ _ _
"The `k's are for the kwality!"

Message has been deleted