NYPD WWW site HTTP://www.webcom.com/right/mos/nycpd/

A496612321

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98

(Click on RMP to post a message)

This bulletin board is subject to the terms  found in the information area on
the main menu.

Det/Ret <Petefio> -- 09/23/98

DaveCap: I think the operative word is "HIS". These are his actions plain and
simple. Not that he doesn't usually support cops in like situations, but it is
the way he wants to go that he believes will do him the most good. It has
nothing to do with supporting cops. The truth of the matter is that I think he
actually hates cops. As far as Joe Toal jumping on the band wagon. Maybe he
should have said nothing rather than blow smoke up Rudy's ass. While I am on
the SBA and their desire to support their own, I have to tell you this story I
just got today from a former Bronx sergeant. He got jammed up about three years
ago along with other sergeants and many cops. I believe most, if not all got
exonerated. The charges were totally duty related. The Sgt I know retains his
own attorney and goes for $25K, and asks for relief from the SBA. Sorry,
Charlie, not today. The PBA, he tells me did reimburse it's members for those
who went outside for representation. So while I am quick to criticize the PBA
for their lack of support for the Broad Channel cop, in all fairness I have to
give them a hats off. But then again that was probably done before their ship
started sinking. Puerto Rico. While my heart goes out to those folks down
there. And they should receive all the support they need, the support should
come from the FED. Not from some ass kissing pols who are trying to garner the
Hispanic vote and NY taxpayer expense. Anyone can be a sport with somebody
elses money.

Dave Cap, TD-02 <DCA...@AOL.COM> -- 09/23/98

For starters, Pete it's a pleasure to read you. The other day, in my district I
read a bulletin from the SBA. Joe Toal went on how although the unions and City
Hall have been at odds lately, particularly regarding contractual subjects, he
would like to remind his members how the mayor and the PC immediately defended
the actions taken by the police at the MTM. I immediately thought of your
comments on how Rudy only defends these actions because they are essentially
HIS actions. I must say I'm a little disappointed with the way the SBA bought
into such nonsense. Care to delve further into this Pete?

Jay , 68pct <NYWI...@aol.com> -- 09/23/98

I was at the range the other day and overheard a conversation, seems that King
Ruldolf aka Adolf, not wanting to be outdone by the governor or left out of the
GLORY is sending a contigent of 10 cops and 10 fire fighters to Puerto Rico to
help assess the damage. At least we know where our raise is being spent.

A496612321

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98

The MOS Bulletin Board
<Picture: Click here to post a message>

(Click on RMP to post a message)

This bulletin board is subject to the terms  found in the information area on
the main menu.

Randy/Det/QNND <RAND...@AOL.COM> -- 09/27/98

To: Det/Ret --09/22/98 or anyone else that can help! In regards to the
chatroom, you may be the only one in there because no one else can log in every
time I click on chatroom icon I get the window that says type your name (and it
won't let me type it nor does it have a space for it to)and press enter
(doesn't let me do this either)if the conection fails..... and then my machine
locks up. I've spoken to a few friends who state that they have the same
problem..Anybody else out there with that problem? ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE ANT
IDEA HOW TO FIX IT...I checked with the webmaster who says that I might need an
upgrade or more memory (I have 40mb ram 100mb disk memory)all the rest of the
windows seem to run fine. You can answer here or email me (if you email me,
under subject please put "mos chatroom") otherwise I may not open it...thanks
for listening (i mean reading) stay safe. ANYBODY OUT THERE FROM 80-12???
Randy.

I love my MTV! <Rmald...@aol.com> -- 09/27/98

WAYNE- AS A MEMBER OF THE MTV GENERATION I'd like to point out that isn't the
generation it is the City's and the Department's lowering of standards that has
led us to where we are now. In an effort to recruit Minorities ( BTW I am a
Minority) the Department merely hired a Multitude of sub-standard personnel.
Have you ever read the Details of a 61 while covering the Offense section then
tried to guess what the cop put down? Many a time I have seen a larceny
Classified as a robbery and vice versa. Not only from The 2 year rookie but
from the "salty" 17 year vet as well. >> Anyone from 90-24 or 90-25 out there?

Wayne-O <WEW...@msn.com> -- 09/27/98

Hey, I just read that only 2,500 people have filed for the next NYPD police
officer exam. The person who wrote this article attributes the lack of interest
(to take this test) to the requirement that a person will need to have 30
college credits before they are hired. I for one think this is great. For way
too long the City has been hiring a lot of people who possess almost no
reading, writing or articulation skills and it certainly has brought this
Department down in a multitude of ways. How I would cringe while reading a 61
or a voucher prepared by a functional illiterate who, even though he or she
"attended" the Academy for six months, could not properly spell out or classify
a given crime that he or she dealt with EVERY SINGLE DAY! Those same people
took absolutely no pride whatsoever in the job they were doing or the report
that they were preparing. In my experience, the worst offenders were often the
guys who complained that we should be paid as much as Nassau and Suffolk, which
used to really make me a pleasant person to be around as I would laugh and be
quite jolly as I threw the paperwork in question back at this malcontent. One
thing that a lot of people in the NYPD don't realize is that a job well done is
it's own reward. We do have a reputation to maintain ya know. I know you can't
take that to the bank but everything you do is a reflection on yourself. At
Roll Call I used to give this example: Say that you are one of the guys who
does a slipshod job when taking a 61. Any old thing will do. After a while the
guys in the Squad get to know who you are because they have to do all kinds of
leg work because you failed to obtain contact information on a complainant or
50 other things that would've taken no extra time or effort while you were
taking a report. Down the road aways, you get involved in a shooting and it is
not a neat package with a big bow on top. Do you realize who will be
investigating this shooting? The detective whose life you have made difficult
because you are a lazy slob who couldn't be bothered with doing a good job when
taking a simple report. Sorry to go on and on but I do think that now and
again, aside from all the other bullshit we have to deal with, this should be
pointed out to the slackers in the MTV generation. Think about it.

Brian, P.O., 10th Pct <wyatt...@aol.com> -- 09/27/98

I've already alerted the webmaster that this board is accessible to people
without a password. The only thing they can't do is post. Be careful what you
say until this is rectified.

Greg 060 <GREG...@aol.com> -- 09/27/98

The 28 cops and 28 firemen, plus several other city employees, who went down to
the Dominican Republic are holed up in a small housing complex using thier
"search" dogs to protect themselves from all the people down there who lost
everything and are trying anything they can to get food and water for thier
families. It's scary to think that the usual knee jerk reaction of the mayor to
try and look like the sAVIOR might just get a few city workers hurt or worse in
a forign land.

Sgt. Kevin <Golfe...@aol.com> -- 09/25/98

Excellent point about the marchers past St. Patrick's, Pete, but as we all
know, only certain hate groups are unacceptable, while others are embraced.
It's called a double standard (although, I don't think I'm pointing out
anything new here - just venting!). If there were no double standard, Eric
Adams would have been fired a long time ago.

A496612321

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98

The MOS Bulletin Board
<Picture: Click here to post a message>
(Click on RMP to post a message)
  This bulletin board is subject to the terms  found in the information area on
the main menu.

VACATION PACKAGE FOR THE NYPD MOS

PO Joe 103pct <10...@usa.net> -- 10/01/98

When in doubt voucher all money as arrest evidence, if the desk will allow,
make the perps have to get a release from the DA office. Just my personal
opinion. As for ads from MOS, I think it's a good idea, we all can help each
other. No one else will. Stay safe.

Former BKNO guy now a queens Marine <Rmald...@aol.com> -- 10/01/98

I like the idea of a page for ads. I am also willing to contribute out of
pocket I think this site is important to all of us. While I seldom post here,
or back when we were at Windell world, I read the board all the time. WEBMASTER
if you send me an address I will send you a check. I haven't heard any rumors
lately. Has anyone heard from Chiefops? He always seemed to have some type of
Scoop. GolferKev and I were presented with this dilemma earlier today. (Please
give me some input): If a perp is arrested for Credit card fraud and he has
$800 on him do you voucher the money as arrest evidence or Investigatory? I say
that depending on what he was doing with the card (making a purchase or getting
a cash advance) it's arrest evidence. Bottom line is I guess it's the DA's Call
I know for sure In Brooklyn North it's Arrest evidence. Any comments greatly
appreciated. ANYONE FROM 90-25 OR 90-24 OUT THERE? COULD IT BE I AM THE ONLY
ONE WITH A COMPUTER?

Det/Ret <Petefio> -- 10/01/98

DOULBE STANDARDS???: Hi, boys and girls I was making a deposit in Vegas the
last few days and catching up on the news. It was serenity not to read the
local papers and not getting aggravated. Saw in today's Daily News a story
where a black, off-duy NYPD cop shot a white guy in Yonkers who uttered racial
slurs his way after a verbal altercation. Said the cop retreated and the white
guy chased him threatening to kill him. No mention that the black cop was
assaulted. It did mention the white guy was unarmed. Yet, there seems to be no
one getting excited about the shooting. Rudy hasn't given a declaration of
non-supprt yet. The article makes no mention the cop has been suspended.
Nothing! All this while another cop who is white named Myer is suspended and
indicted. We all know that story. Myer was assaulted by a black man who had a
history of violence. Did it make any difference? No. But we have a case here
that is similar in nature, except the circumstances leading up to the shooting
seem to be much less severe, and yet there appears to be no politically correct
reactions from the Mayor, or the NYPD. Put this together with the Broad Channel
episode and the Million Youth March particpated by Eric Adams et.al, and one
has to ask what is going on here. Please note that I support the black cop and
want to see no cop get jammed for what he thought was a threat. Sorry, but it
just don't seem fair. And how about the incident in Brooklyn where six off duty
black cops chase a black man who runs onto the railroad tracks and gets killed.
One cop loses his gun and goes back to the bar a day later to retrieve it from
a barmaid. Any calls of outrage from the Mayor on that one? Any inquistion from
the Press? Scary,isn't it?

Cruz, webmaster for this great site! <ri...@webcom.com> -- 10/01/98

Regarding the site's security problem. I am sorry to say that any messages
copied from this site have been copied by an MOS or a poser. Every morning my
server provides me with a list of IP addresses of those of you visiting the
site, along with the password I respectively assigned to each of you. In other
words, I can pin point exactly who visited the site, what time, and what pages
you viewed. After reviewing the records, I did not find a report of access to
the site by anyone other than those already assigned a password. That leaves us
with two possibilities only. An MOS traitor or a bogus MOS with a TAX and
corresponding PA class may be responsible. As you all know, an IP address is
like a cyber fingerprint and there aren't that many people out there who have
the know how on penetrating a system without leaving an IP imprint. And if so,
I don't see why they are wasting so much time an effort in penetrating our
site. A bank's system would be more profitable. In conclusion by dear brothers
and sisters, let's just say that a baby is among us and as you all know after
working several commands, we always get stuck with one or two.

JVelez, PO <EAGLE...@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> -- 10/01/98

The bottom line is that the Webmaster needs contributions to keep this site
going. We all have second and even third jobs. If you think that the unions are
going to contribute, you are wrong, besides this page is just for the cops, so
the cops should contribute. If you start involving the unions, and others of
the sort, you're bound to open up a can of worms that no one wants. For
example, if they contribute cash to the site, then they may decide that they
should have a say as to how its run and want changes. ( just an example).
Perhaps another link to UMOS biz pages, nothing too fancy etc etc. Just a
thought. Why not contribute a small amount per month for the site, in that way
we all contribute and we ALL have a say. Hey, limited partnerships all run
along the same lines.

Joyrider <joy...@frontiernet.net> -- 10/01/98

why not get the PBA/SBA/DEA, etc to contribute....after all, they should have a
vested interest in how we all feel, now they can just read it here. I agree
with the webmaster.

Cruz, Webmaster, Frmr 71 PCT <ri...@webcom.com> -- 09/30/98

Well, I guess I have to try different sponsors in order to cover the costs of
running this extensive site. To date it's been all out of pocket and I would
like to keep this site going. To get a sponsor it sometimes means that I'll
have to advertise for them to get some help. I guess you would say, "give a
little- take a little." Of course, you have bought up an interesting point. How
about a contribution from anyone who wants to post an ad. In that case I would
then make a separate page just for ads. What do you folks think?

SPD978

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing with us.

Nice work.

A496612321

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

The MOS Message Board
This message board is subject to the terms  found in the information area on
the main menu.Vacation Packages
Help Maintain This Site
Meet in the Chatroom
Thursday 7:30 p.m.

Click here to post a message

Det/Ret <Petefio> -- 10/06/98

GLOCKS: I have been peeking in on the "other board" and see there has been some
discussion on the Glock. I was what you would call the proverbial you can't
teach an old dog new tricks kind of guy. While the semi-automatic is way
preferable to the 6 shooter (I've seen them jam too), I would urge you guys to
have the off-duty six shooter, the smaller version in your belt as well. You
only have to have it jam once and you may not get a second chance. A related
matter having the second gun. A good friend of mine went into a bar many years
ago and was in a stickup. The bad guys got the drop on him, found his shield
and made him kneel with the promise they were gonna smoke him. He had his
second gun on his ankle and was able to get it and kill his attacker. Once that
it worked was more than enough reason to have the gun. It can never happen to
you....or can it. You just never know. We did this thing at the range in a mock
bar setup. You went into the bar and took any seat. I took one near the door. I
was asked by the range officer why I took the seat. I told him so I could get
out of the bar should a stickup team came in. Better to retreat and be able to
regroup,or to fight another day. I was told it was the wisest course of action
considering the circumstances as there was a unknown backup guy sitting in the
bar. Use your heads. The semi can jam at any time for any reason. I have seen
revolvers jam when improper fast action firing was employed. When you get
scared anything can happen. And this was only firing at a target that didn't
shoot back.

Det/Ret <Petefio> -- 10/06/98

BROAD CHANNEL: The Rev.Al went and testified for the PO at his trial yesterday.
This is really laughable. While you can be sure the interests of the cop were
not foremost in Rev.Al's mind, his comments were nevertheless on target. I am
also interested in how Rev.Al has standing in this matter and how he was
allowed to testify. I mean..who called him? If it wasn't so sad it would be
funny. On top of Rev.Al's testimony we have Norman Siegel from the NYCACLU
defending him !!!!!! Like I said, if it wasn't so sad it would be funny. And
every point Al made was true. How about Rudy stirring up you guys on the steps
of City Hall. It was alleged that racial remarks were made by some in
attendance. If true, wouldn't Rudy be part of a hate group? All this should be
a constant reminder to one and all is that they could care less about the
members of the NYPD. If something suits their agenda you get the call. If it
doesn't then you are in deep doodoo.

STACEY - RECENTLY RETIRED <MRSBH...@AOL.COM> -- 10/06/98

Dear Fellow NYPD & all mos nationwide, It has come to the attention of several
Police Departments through their Union reps that an article pertaining to the
safety of all mos & their families info received from the ATF regarding
personal info that the Haines Cross Directory which is available to the general
public , is changing the way it collects info for the directory . Haines will
now use info from property records , If you own or are buying a home , your
address along w/ your home phone # , regardless of whether or not , it is non-
published or not will be listed . Haines is one of the largest publishers of
directories & sells it's info to the other directory publishers . Haines
corporate offices were contacted & provided the following info for law
enforcement use: SEND A WRITTEN REQUEST TO HAINES ASKING THAT YOUR NAME ADDRESS
& TELEPHONE # BE DELETED FROM THEIR DIRECTORY BECAUSE YOU ARE EMPLOYED BY A LAW
ENFORCEMENT AGENCY. YOU MUST PROVIDE YOUR NAME , ADDRESS & TELEPHONE# AND A
CALLBACK # (212-374-5000). MAIL THIS REQUEST TO HAINES & CO , 8050 FREEDOM
AVE,NW NORTH CANTON OHIO 44720 ATTN:PAT GERNER , DIRECTOR ,DATA PROCESSING THE
UNION PRES ALSO SUGGESTED TO SEND THE LETTER CERTIFIED MAIL , RET RECEIPT
REQUESTED STAY SAFE OUT THERE !!!!!!!!!!!

Cruz, the Webmaster, Frmr 71pct <ri...@webcom.com> -- 10/05/98

The Chatroom has been checked for bugs and appears very clean. I am hoping that
all of you can access it. How about meeting in there on Wednesday night, say
around 7:30 p.m. See you then.   PS - Don't forget to give the chatroom page a
little time to load. Sometimes it takes a while and some of you are thinking
that your PCs are frozen. Good luck.

A496612321

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98

<Picture> MOS Message Board
This message board is subject to the terms found in the
information area on the main menu.

Det/Ret Pet...@aol.com -- 10/18/98

TO TRK874: Pleassssseeee tell me there was an overpowering, compelling and no
other choice reason for a DWI arrest of another MOS.

Det Mike trk...@aol.com -- 10/18/98

I would just like to thank the 2 rookies, and the rookie Sgt that effected the
arrest of the Det from the 75Squad the other night for DWI minor accident NO
INJURY. It is good to know whe have such hard working officers assigned to the
tough 106pct. I sure there was no way you could have cut him a break. Good work
and if anyone wants their names, please Email me and I will give them to you so
you can call them and tell then how proud of them you are.

Det/Ret Pet...@aol.com -- 10/18/98

WHICH IS IT? Read in the Daily News that the Sosa parade was a huge success.
Just read in Newsday that only a few thousand lined the streets. Also heard
(didn't actually see)on TV that the parade was a smashing success. Whatever
happened I am sure Rudy got the most out of it for himself. Anybody know the
truth on this one?

Det/Ret Pet...@aol.com -- 10/18/98

GETTING SICK AND TIRED: Was reading that the last money grab for your money is
coming from the NY Stock Exchange. Seems as though Rudy and his crew may be
willing to dole out around a 1/2Billion bucks to keep the Exchange in NY. Lump
that in with Steinbrenner's piggy piggy and you have near $2B. They will tell
you that the investment will reap income for the citizens and city. I suggest
that the NYSE should keep a few bucks from each of the brokerage firms that
give their fat cats hundreds and hundreds of millions in bonus money and set it
aside for capital improvements. George could do a little of the same. I think
all George wants to do is to get in Manhattan, thereby increasing the value of
the team and sell it for a huge profit. Why do we have to fund the dreams of
millionaires? Where and when did this happen? Don't these people have any sense
of tradition? You want to take Wall Street out of Wall Street? Shouldn't they
build their own house where they do business? How about the cops getting a
return on the investment they put into making this whole thing work in the
first place. And,sorry, but other than politicial pandering I don't see what
Sosa had anything to do with NYC.

Cruz, webmaster ri...@webcom.com -- 10/17/98

This site has been cleaned of trespassers.

Det/Ret Petefio -- 10/17/98

NEWSDAY...UGGGGH: Reading Newsday's rendition of the NYC admin.Judges ruling on
the BroadChannel firemen role in the incident. It said she recommended firing.
No where does it say that she would have preferred a 90day suspension as firing
was too severe. And the other options open to her were not severe enough, i.e.,
not guilty or 10days suspension. The story in the other papers suggests she
would have not recommended firing had the other sanctions been available. NOT
that that makes any sense either. If you ever heard any thing more
screwballying than her reasoning on this matter please let me know. I did want
to point out however on how the papers can put their own slant on a story.

Det/Ret Petefio -- 10/17/98

NYDaily News columnist John Leo made an interesting point in today's column
about "hate crime" legislation. He said the same people who would have you make
hate crime laws, thereby increasing the penalities for "protected" crimes are
the same people who are against the death penalty.

Det/Ret Petefio -- 10/16/98

To Wayne: RE: Koch. I think one of the things that bothers more about Koch is
that I am convinced he is a homosexual who hasn't the guts to come out and
admit it. Listen to his show and you will hear at least once a mention of the
homosexual question in one form or another. If someone should bring up the
question to him about his sexual preferences he usually answers that it is
nobodys business but his own. Then he gets vile and insulting, usually calling
the person a dog, or some such insulting words. But when you reach an office as
high as he did, ie Mayor of NYC, and the very FIRST act you undertake is to
pass legislation on some homosexual matter then I think it is no longer a
private matter, but a public matter. The people have a right to know where you
stand on the issue for what may be personal reasons. The homosexual issue is
controversial and moral a question so important that people have a right to
know what motivates a mayor when he takes a stance despite your own personal
feelings on the issue.

Det/Ret Petefio -- 10/16/98

SAMMY SOSA: You know what this thing with Sosa reminds me of when I was in the
Job? Back around 1981 when I was in the DA's squad we had a captain who just
completed his 1st year anniversary as the CO. The brown nosing asskissing
jackasses thought they would have a cookie and champagne party to honor the
occasion. God help me, it's true. Maybe they will give Sammy some cookies and
champagne as well. Why not, the Cardinal has given him a red hat, and the city
will drive him up the Canyon of Heroes. You know the same street reserved for
McArthur, Eisenhower, The Astronauts, just to name a few. Scratch Mandela, just
more asskissing.

Det/Ret Petefio -- 10/16/98

WAYNE O: First let me say to WayneO. When you receive such high praise from no
other than ROB2400, you can consider yourelf as having arrived. ROB has his
feet squarely on the ground. ITEM#2: Your Post on the "baseball" matter makes
me feel that I am not in a minority in such opinions. I came on this board with
the intention of filing a post similar to what you wrote. But it gets even
better. Steinbrenner want a guy named Joe...Joe....???? Joe, DA.da, da
DIMAGGIO! That it.. DiMaggio. I mean who the BLEEP his he. The Lords of
Baseball wanted Sosa. Who is Sosa? While he is an outstanding ballplayer who
does himself, baseball and the Dominican people proud, he still isn't a Yankee
(where the 1st pitch of the World Series will be), he didn't even win the Home
Run title. That was another guy named Mark McGwire, or better known as the
disenfranchised white American. AND Please, this is not intended as an
offensive to our Hispanic brothers and sisters. This is such an obvious
pandering to the Hispanics that it sickens me to see the game of baseball
relegated to a political vote getting instrument rather than a means of
enjoyment and escape it should really be. Sosa wasn't born in NYC, he doesn't
play for a NY team, and he didn't win the title. You will also remember that
the 150yr anniversary of the NYPD was squashed by Rudy for spiteful and
ignorant reasons, mostly to do with Bratton. These people want to make me puke.
I just hope there is a nice warm and cozy spot in hell for them when they get
there... and they will. Now to the other matter at hand: Koch. Wayne you
couldn't be wronger. Koch is a dyed in the wool liberal, cop hating, phony, BS,
worst kind of character you will ever find. He dropped more kites on
Corrections than you can count. Absolutely hated cops,if he didn't already when
the former PBA Pres DeMila put that thing out about him getting beat up by a
fag in the Village. He doesn't forget! Fact is that he said the exact thing
about not forgetting on today's radio show when he likened himself to Cuomo on
that matter. I guess you never heard him saying when the cops were looking for
a raise that nobody is "chaining" them down to their jobs. If they didn't like
it go elsewhere, e.g., Nassau etc., If you believe nothing else about the man
believe me when I tell you that he has no use for cops. Way back when his PC
came into office (McGuire), the PC saw the plight of cops with their salary and
made a public statement to that effect. He was beaten down by Koch's budget
director with the approval of Koch. It was characterized as "keep your mouth
shut and never talk of matters of your concern" of words to that effect. The
guy hates cops even more than Rudy, if that's possible. Where was the bum when
Tompkins Square Park boiled over.Never said a peep. The guy is always mouthing
off about cops. While he does say things good about cops, listen closely and
get a true meaning of what he really thinks.

Wayne-O WEW...@msn.com -- 10/16/98

Hey Rob, thanks for the kind words. I don't want to turn this board into a back
slappin' mutual admiration society but I do agree with Pete on most issues,
with the exception of his disdain for Ed Koch. I have previously sounded off
about my low opinion of ALL politicians however I do believe that Ed Koch
genuinely has a soft spot in his heart for cops. You know what they say about
opinions... Ever hear the one about the guy in a cave with a lion, a bear, a
politician and a gun with only two bullets? He shoots the politician twice,
just to make sure! Hey, what's with throwing a ticker tape parade for an
overpaid millionaire athlete who's only accomplishment was hitting a few more
homeruns (using jazzed up baseballs) than the other overpaid millionaire
athletes? The City of New York didn't have enough dough ray me to give us a
proper and well deserved raise yet they find the $$$ to throw a parade for a
baseball player?????? This really irks me and I wonder how many other people
are pissed off at this shameless and transparent pandering for votes from a
segment of the city previously antagonistic (and probably still so after the
parade) toward our Department and the current administration. Why isn't the
FOUND MONEY used to subsidize lowering bridge and tunnel tolls or keeping the
transit fare at it's current rate. I guess because everybody loves a parade.
What a disgrace.

Cruz, the Webmaster ri...@webcom.com -- 10/15/98

Alot of you wrote to me about the roll call pages not being clear. Well I made
changes again and it seems to be a bit better. For those of you who recently
posted your info. You may want to go back and do it one more time. Thanks for
the feedback. I hope all of you will find it clearer this time. Stay safe.

Rob 67 pct rob...@aol.com -- 10/15/98

WAYNE O 's post on 10/14 is simply outstanding. I fear to sat that he maybe
PETEFIO a run for thr NYPD WEBSITE PULITZER PRIZE!!! Keep up the goodwork all
of you. Rob2400

Det/Ret Petefio -- 10/15/98

SPECIAL PEOPLE???: Since my last post about the media attention of the murdered
kid from Wyoming there have been numerous columns and some editorials in
several newspapers. Most seem to agree with my position: Why should this murder
be different than the many other murders without agendas? Basically, they ask
why should any group of victim be singled out over another. They ask if we hold
out one above antoher then it diminishes those without PC type people.

Det/Ret Petefio -- 10/14/98

Just read in tomorrow's NY Times that the kid from Wyoming who was killed the
other day had another incident happen to him after trying to pick up a guy who
decked him with two punches. What PC Bullspit. Since when did it become OK for
a fag to blantenly try to pick you up. Don't mean they shoud die for it, but
don't make this any worse than the countless thousands of other murders
commited for no good reason. We are losing the war my friends,and there ain't
nothing we can do about it.

Det/Ret Petefio -- 10/14/98

NEWSDAY: I never buy it, but sometimes read it for free on the Internet. A
particular column that always interests me is Len Levitt's column each Monday
in the Queens Edition. He usually takes shots at the Brass and Rudy. For those
of you who don't know it exists, I suggest you go to Newsday.com and clik on
the News area and scroll down to Queens Edition and Go. He does make for some
interesting reading. PO ANTHONY: You surely are entitled to your own opinion.
This, after all, is what these Boards are about: to exchange opinions on
matters of concern to most of us. So don't take it personal by the "attacks" on
your post. If you haven't realized by now that the Broad Channel had NOTHING to
do with the parade and indiscretions of one police officer than it had to do
with Rudy making up for his heavy handed actions on the MTM march, then maybe
you are behind the times. I should also point out once again that Ed Koch, who
incidentally has taken the side of the cop, at least to the point of his being
fired...he does say he should be punished. For what? I mean really what did he
do? It was Ed Koch, who did a Broadway act at the Inner Circle years back while
in Blackface. Was he disrespectful to blacks? Maybe he was as I am sure some
blacks would be offended by anyone portraying them in this day and age with
blackface. How many of you who may listen to Stern and Imus turned the dial to
another station after listening to their constant barrage of offensive
material. Imus did a show more than 20yrs ago insulting Pat Nixon by suggesting
she was swallowing something too big for her mouth. Need I say more. Since that
time I have avoided his show. Simple as that. What is the big deal. I will also
tell you that I knew of a cop who was in his own backyard talking with friends
where it was alleged by his neighbor that he overheard the cop say something
anti-semitc. He had hell to pay. You call this America. Don't forget we have
the right to hate,if we so choose. YOu may not like it, but that is the truth.

A496612321

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98

<Picture> MOS Message Board
This message board is subject to the terms found in the
information area on the main menu.

Det/Ret Pet...@aol.com -- 10/19/98

DWI ARRESTS: Unfortunately, there will come a time in the careers of most of us
when we will have the misfortune of coming across of one of our own who will
put you and your career in a perilous situation. Be that MOS be an a##hole, or
just a guy/gal having a bad day doesn't really matter. These are the things you
sometimes get stuck to deal with. It is your obligation to do as much as you
can to help that member out of the scrape. If that person proves to be an
a@@hole, then your only hope that sooner or later the offending party will get
theirs all at their own hand. There is a very well known columnist who one
early morning ran into a stationary object on the FDR. There is at least one of
us on this Board who was there or knows something about it. This Job with the
help of the highest ranking members, probably the PC himself went to great
lengths to give the guy a pass. And this bum doesn't even deserve it as he
likes to have you believe he is an unbiased observor,but really is a cop hater.
There was another case where a PC got himself into a drunk driving situation
which was of great embarassment to himself and the PD. I know the guy who ran
into him and he did the right thing even though his own career was devasted
only a few years earlier. And I am talking about jail. He came back, did the
right thing and got the assignment of his choice as a boss to finish out his
career. What do you think would have happened to him had he been like the
106cops?

PO MIKE 90 Pct hardh...@al.cm -- 10/19/98

Have nt been t the site in awhile do to an illness & death in the
family.......LOOKS GREAT.......Keep up the good work guys

Sgt Kevin 43 Whal...@aol.com -- 10/19/98

To Wayne you will take the physical fitness portion of a promotional exam twice
yearly to earn upto 1 point. This is a change from the last test where you
received 1 point for passing all four parts at one time. Now you have to pass
the run in order to be eligble to take the remaining 3 parts. If you don't make
the run you can't take the other parts. The bottom line is you have to give up
4 RDO'S for 1 point on a promotion exam (written) that you might not pass. In
the event you don't pass the written those physical points will count towards
another test, like you medals. I hope this cleared up the confusion. Stay Safe.

Wayne-O WEW...@msn.com -- 10/19/98

On Saturday I did the 1/10 of a point NYPD Promotional Fun Run and I was
wondering...what's next? There is some confusion as to what comes next as far
as additional physical tasks that we have to do (eg. run another mile and a
half 6 months from now etc.). Can anyone fill me in because I've heard some
conflicting info and I usually have trouble understanding those clearly worded,
lucid and coherent FINEST messages that they send out? Why is it that the
Department uses five paragraphs to convey a message or procedure that can
usually be summed up in 1 or 2 sentences? THAT'S RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! So they can
give Civil Service promotional exams that are a great barometer of supervisory
potential, job skills and knowledge. Like the last LTs test which had a
multiple choice question as to whether or not you could give a guy Lost Time. I
was certainly fit to be tied when I walked out of that test. Excuse me now...I
have to climb back on my habitrail treadmill to chase the carrot as I prepare
for the next test of my knowledge, skills and potential. It's worth another 20
grand a year so I really don't have a choice. Study hard.

Cruz, Webmaster ri...@webcom.com -- 10/19/98

In view of the chronic cut & paste problems we're having to other boards I have
decided to turn the message board into applet format. This will prevent any cut
and pasting and will force the a**hole culprit to type everything if he or she
wants to place it onto another board. There is one downside to the applet
format. Since we receive alot of interaction on the board the applet form will
take longer to load and will take longer to post the most recent messages. If
we all agree with the change anyway, I'll go ahead and do it. It is nearly
impossible to eliminate the leak since it is obviously someone who is here
legitimately but who is too afraid to voice their opinion any other way.

DET. RANDY QNND RAND...@AOL.COM -- 10/19/98

TO DET/RET AND DET MIKE and other brothers/sisters in blue RE:MOS/DWI/ARREST::
It is not exculsive of the 106, it also happened in the 113 minor accident,
dwi, the other subject had a suspended license, tell me there was no room for
negotiations, short of serious injury or death something could have been worked
out. It's bad enough we can't trust the public or the City, WE HAVE TO STICK
TOGETER not just cops but bosses (all the Bosses) too.

PO,Joe,40 prove...@usa.net -- 10/19/98

To Det Mike, Post the names. We should all know who on our team are not team
players....

Mr Henry retired 72 MrHe...@aol.com -- 10/19/98

I hope now we have security.

A496612321

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98

<Picture> MOS Message Board
This message board is subject to the terms found in the
information area on the main menu.

Wayne-O WEW...@msn.com -- 10/20/98

Thanks for the info Kevin. I guess I have to keep jogging. How about that demo
in Midtown yesterday? I only read one newspaper account today and saw the 11
o'clock news last night and it would seem that the Department was not slandered
and maligned half as bad as we usually are. How dumb are these militant
homosexual activists who want sympathy for their cause? Like Al Sharpton's "Day
of Outrage" Marches I & II, you DO NOT get sympathy from mainstream society by
impeding pedestrian and vehicular traffic and by preventing hardworking,
gainfully employed people from getting home to dinner and their families. I'm
pretty sure you don't garner support from the general public by dancing around
naked (and the guys I saw had no business not wearing any clothes in public) on
5th Ave. and performing lewd acts in front of St. Patricks Cathedral but if you
can get away with it, what the....

PO, Riley G, Retired XN...@psicop.com -- 10/20/98

News Flash. It appears that two NYPD were found dead in Staten Island at around
3:30pm this afternoon. My Sources report to me that it was a husband and wife
who worked as a Detective / Police Officer in SI, pct's. I am not posting their
names because of the leak here.

47 Nightstalker Tor...@aol.com -- 10/20/98

Any MOS out there who are the current suburban lists in the area? I'd like to
hear from you so that information can be exchanged on a mutually beneficial
basis. E-Mail me. Thanks.

Cruz, Webmaster ri...@webcom.com -- 10/20/98

Donna oakes jl...@worldnet.att.net wrote:

It's good your stuff is leaked, that is, before you go to applets. It lets
people know just what kind of sleaze and skulduggery (some of) you cops are
capable of.

Webmaster responded:

I agree likewise on the other end. Our opinions of course, don't really matter.
Do they? You and I will pass and you know what? Neither of us can change it.
Not I, the Officer, nor the "other." You know, the one without a life. Feel
free to post this where ever you like. I will.

A496612321

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98

<Picture> MOS Message Board
This message board is subject to the terms found in the
information area on the main menu.

Det/Ret Pet...@aol.com -- 10/21/98

WAYNE: They call that: " the squeaky wheel gets the grease". They know exactly
what they are doing. And by the way they could give a fat rat's ass about the
kid in Wyoming. Some jackass actually said at the "memorial" that they were
there to honor Sheppard. Give me a break...they could care less. He ain't the
first to die and he won't be the last homosexual to die from any cause. Like I
told you guys earlier, there is an agenda written for these purposes, and that
is to gain power and recognition for whatever purpose. Incidents such as the
Wyoming thing are to be maximized for the greatest effect. They march through
the streets with reckless abandon for the rights and safety of the citizens,
provoke attacks by other citizen and the police, and then video tape it for a
twisted version of what they want the general population to believe. While no
one really believes what they have to say, somehow they manage to build some
"equity" in their messages with the eventual result that they get what they
want. Speaking of fools. Did any of you see the governor of NJ Whitman hold a
press conference declaring that the holocaust reparations brokered by the US
and Swiss banks will not be taxable on the receipants. As though the money
could have been taxable in the first place. Whitman has a group of elderly
Jewish people at the conference to make this announcement so that the world can
see what nice people government is. It is pandering to a special interest
group, plain and simple. It does that group no good, at least in my opinion,
and while it may have some short term effects, it builds a residual resentment
to those groups that consisently choose to be singled out as special people, be
it the gays, Jews, blacks, or whatever.

>Thanks ever so much to the humane person who posted these excerpts. I note
>in closing that the group is quite angry over the leaks and their alpha
>male silverback has now decided to go to an applet format so that the
>secrecy of their heresies will be preserved. It's like another secret
>society I have heard of where they put on robes, masks, and cute little
>cone-shaped hats to conceal their identities.

********the applet format will stop nothing. we can freeze and copy the pages
with a program we have so the postings will continue. since we have so much
good feedback from everyone we will expand the postings to other nypd
restricted boards*******

A496612321

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98

<Picture>MOS Message Board
This message board is subject to the terms found in the
information area on the main menu.

Det/Ret Pet...@aol.com -- 10/21/98

WAYNE: I"m glad you noticed the negative reviews the PD got on the MQM issue.
Notice they don't mention the irresponsibility of the MQM's "hastily" called
for march that somehow spilled out into the streets causing huge traffic
delays, injuries to innocent bystanders, cops and other inconviences to people
who had nothing to do with an issue as far away as Wyoming! And why was such a
animated and disruptive demonstration called for in a city that has consistenly
and immorally supported these misfits in almost everything they have tried to
do. I thought it was disgusting that they should interview two of the
demonstrators as a couple of x amount of years and then post their names with
the same surname as though they were a legitimate married couple. Something is
wrong here. I personally could care less how other people live their lives or
their sexual lifestyles. It is when they try to bring it to our attention by
such outlandisn displays of arrogance and tell you they are right is what is
disgusting.

Wayne-O WEW...@msn.com -- 10/21/98

Looks like I spoke too soon Re: the Lack of media slander directed towards the
NYPD after that demo the other day. NY1's airing of "exclusive" homemade
videotape is the same old anti-cop crock of shit that they peddle day in and
day out. Aside from the Yankees, I guess it's been a really slow news week.

Det/Ret Pet...@aol.com -- 10/21/98

Subj: Rest in Peace
Date: 10/21/98 14:21:36 Eastern Daylight Time
From: BAT46

To the members of the Jesselli family,the 123pct and the NYPD,

Today we lost a great person, one I worked with for 3yrs and had the pleasure
of calling my partner than and forever.

When my transfer came down she said to me "good for you,go for it". That was
some years ago, but that was the type of person I'll remember.

Monica, you will always be in my heart.

Danny Masterson,

Emergency Service Unit
S.I. Cop Kills Wife, Self

<Picture>city police detective fatally shot his wife, also a city cop, then
turned the gun on himself in their Staten Island home yesterday, police said.

The bodies of Fred and Monica Jesselli were found in the kitchen by their
12-year-old daughter when she returned home from school, police said.

Monica Jesselli, 38, had been shot three times in the body and once in the
head; her husband, 47, had one gunshot wound to the head, sources said.

The daughter, Erica, called relatives, then ran screaming into the street in
the Arden Heights section at 3:16 p.m., police and witnesses said.

Police said a 9-mm. handgun was found near the bodies. The couple had been
married 18 years and also had a son, Derek, 15. The children were staying with
relatives last night.

Detectives believe the shooting occurred shortly after Monica Jesselli came
home from her 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. shift.

Fred Jesselli was a 19-year veteran of the burglary unit at the 122nd Precinct
on Staten Island who sometimes worked 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and other times 4 p.m.
to midnight. He was promoted to detective in 1996. Monica Jesselli, a 17-year
police veteran, worked in community affairs in the 123rd Precinct, also on
Staten Island.

"They were both excellent officers," said Assistant Chief Eugene Devlin, the
Staten Island borough commander.

Some neighbors called Fred Jesselli a tense, argumentative figure in the quiet
area.

"He was a time bomb waiting to go off," said Mary Imhof, who lives a few doors
away.

"He was a loose cannon," said Trent Perino, who lives around the corner. "It
should never have happened."

Glynne Weiner, 31, who has lived around the corner from the Jessellis for two
years, said Fred Jesselli would come out of the house and yell profanities at
youths congregating at his end of the block.

But Nick Spano, 40, said the death of his neighbors left him in shock and
disbelief.

"He seemed like an okay guy. The stress must have got to him," said Spano, who
said he knew Fred Jesselli for 12 years. "I'm hurting for the kids most of all,
because they don't have a mommy and daddy."

As news of the deaths spread, some neighbors ran in tears toward the house,
which was festooned with Halloween decorations. Pumpkins adorned the front
lawn.

The family had lived in the wood-and-stucco home for about 15 years. Fred
Jesselli was meticulous about the home, neighbors said.

The murder-suicide came less than a month after Police Officer Patrick
Fitzgerald killed his wife and two children before killing himself in his
Orange County home.

Police later revealed that Fitzgerald, who worked in the 34th Precinct in
Washington Heights, had sought counseling for his daughterin 1994.

Jesselli's personnel file contains one complaint — made in 1991 and apparently
domestic — alleging "threats and temper." Internal affairs officers, however,
could not substantiate the complaint.

A496612321

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
MOS Message Board
This message board is subject to the terms found in the
information area on the main menu.

Sgt Kevin 43 Whalen426 @aol.com -- 10/23/98

I agree with Wayne. The hard working cops should have nothing to fear. For the
SLACKERS this should be an eye opener, if they stop complaining for one minute
they will see it is easier to do the job the rigth way then to take all the
time they use to Shit Can the few jobs they handle

Det/Ret Pet...@aol.com -- 10/23/98

I disagree with Wayne etc. Mainly for this reason. It was reported in the
papers that each commander gave up two names for possible transfer. This sets a
bad precedent. Now you will have guys fighting to stay off the bottom of the
list. Let's suppose that all members of a command are doing a fine job.. some
better, but none so bad as to warrant a transfer. Who do you pick? Years back
my CO got all the sergeants together and asked for a numerical rating of each
member in his team. All but one stood up and refused to give him a numerical
list. Fact of the matter is that most guys were good and the level that may
have seperated them were minimal. But somebody has to be on the bottom. The
captain assured the bosses that it would be for his own edification to get a
handle on his men as he was in a new command. Again, they refused save one.
They cited problems with the order and that it was contracturally improper. The
sergeant who relented submitted his list on the basis it was to be
confidential. What did the Capt do? He brought John in and asked him why Sgt G
rated him last of 10. Incidentally, both John and Sgt G both dies at an early
age so they won't be reading this. I will give you another stupid example. A
few years ago a unit was required to increase it's members to a considerable
degree. Most would say it is a desirable unit for those who want it ( name
unmentioned). Cops throughout the city were asked to submit their names if
interested. I know of a few who were real zeros by most anyones account. What
did their CO's do when given the opportunity to get rid of an undesirable? They
sent the lazy cop's name in. And more than a few got a choice command for no
other reason then being a marginal cop. This also happened in my squad where
they were looking to increase the numbers. Other borough squads were asked to
canvass their people to see who wanted to go to homicide. Most CO's used it as
an opportunity to reward their better detectives. Some did not and also used it
as an opportunity to get rid of what they considered dead wood..at least in
their opinion. All that I saw come over were decent, hard working detectives.
The other issue brought up is that some of these low achievers had personal
problems at home and needed the time to take care of their families. When you
are in that situation arresss, summonses and other police work suffers while
you are going through working out your problems. It was suggested these people
also were part of the transfer problem. Overall, it is a bad precedent to
start. Today it could be your lowest two people. Tomorrow it can be 5, 10,15,
or whatever. I am not in the job anymore so I don't have the transfer lists
available. Can anyone tell me if the transfers are PC across the board, i.e.,
does the percentage of transfers reflect the body of the people in a
statistical manner? That would be interesting to know don't you think?

Det Kristen BXND kris...@aol.com -- 10/23/98

Re: Transfers. I agree with the Zero's getting transferred; but what happens
when precinct commanders start transferring good hard working MOS because of
political/personal reasons?

Wayne-O WEW...@msn.com -- 10/23/98

Re: Transfers of "problem" cops. This is probably going to be an unpopular
opinion but I think it's great that these guys got transferred. God knows that
there are not just a few empty suits in the NYPD who have almost no redeeming
qualities whatsoever. You know the guys i'm talking about..."this sucks! that
sucks! he sucks! she sucks! this job sucks! the Sergeant sucks! this precinct
sucks! blah, blah, blah ad nauseum". I would venture to say that the majority
of the guys transferred would NEVER make it in the private sector/business
world where their piss poor attitudes, lack of a work ethic, lack of
knowledge/skills would be met with a pink slip in a matter of weeks or months
at best. Who will dispute that the job is so f----d up partly because of cops
like these? Are there bosses like these as well? You bet your ass there are but
they usually aren't as blatant or obvious as a cop who is argumentative,
insubordinate, has no activity, is on chronic Z sick, has a jacket full of
CCRBs and refuses to do a goddamn thing to justify his existence. Perhaps this
is an experiment wherein these cops will be tracked to see what they do? Will
some get the message and begin to perform the job they are paid to do? I hope
so. Will some do less than they do now? I don't know if that is possible
because i'm confident that they are more than a little familiar with the number
ZERO when it comes to their achievements in the Police Department. I mean, why
be a cop if it makes you so miserable? Too many people spend too much of their
time blaming other people and things for their own sorry lot in life and,
instead of being pitiful , it has become infuriating. There are a lot of cops
who have more in common with welfare recipients than with some of the people
who stand next to them at roll call.I welcome the comments of other MOS who
care to weigh in on this matter.

det/ret pet...@aol.com -- 10/23/98

TRAITOR!!!! Of all the things this Bozo in the White House has done, today he
topped the cake. It appears as though he caved into the Israeles and made a
deal to let the traitor Jonathon Pollard go. Nobody ever faulted Israel for
spying on the US even though we are a friendly country... it is what is done
and understandable. What isn't understandable is that an American citizen of
Jewish background did the spying for them. Had his spying been a question of
altruistic/idealistic reasons then maybe there would be room for some
understanding. But it wasn't about ideals it was about MONEY!!! And a lot of
it. Pollard should have been executed not jailed. Now it seems as though the
Mideast peace accords hinged on The Boze letting him go. Why? Why would Israel
hold up such an important matter by demanding the US let this traitor go. Maybe
it is because the whole thing is Bulls... in the first place. From what I saw
on TV it looks as though those who hate Jews/Palestenians will still hate and
fight each other no matter who signs what and where. Mr. President.. you have
fallen to depths so low that I am truly disgusted.

Mr Henry MrHe...@aol.com -- 10/23/98

I guess I can get into the chat room as I had to get a new computer. Old one
crashed in a tornado. Question to webmaster, I have to use my old name and
number not the new one? Only asking as it's hard to remember all names and
numbers and just in case someone else can get in.

Det/Ret Pet...@aol.com -- 10/23/98

HOV Lanes: Your opinion. A couple of weeks ago I was out further on LI on a job
and was making my way back in on the LIE. Came a point near Huntington where
traffic backed up a couple of miles while an occasional car came zooming by in
the HOV lane. I thought to myself: This is stupid. I mean it's great if you are
in the HOV lane avoiding traffic, but is it worth shutting down one entire lane
to have a car here and there using the HOV lane? Was it the intention when they
widened the road to use if for HOV? Just seems like a waste of resources to me.
Your professional opinions.

Ret. Sgt. Greg, 026 Pct G4...@aol.com -- 10/23/98

Henry...... Noone is in the chat room 'cause i'll bet half of us can't get
in....i know i cant

Henry retired MrHe...@aol.com -- 10/22/98

how come there is never anyone in the chat room? Checked the last 2 weeks and
no one was there.

Det/Ret Pet...@aol.com -- 10/22/98

RIP OFF ARTISTS: Now that the Yankees have won the World Series I suspect their
value jumped a few million should George decide to sell as reported to another
rip-off artist, namely Cablevision. Think how much more George can get for the
Yanks if he has that Manhattan stadium deal in his pocket. If you told me the
value of the Yanks could jump another few hundred million would anyone be
surprised. So this is my proposal: Should Rudy steamroll this one through at
public expense, then I suggest George put a value on his team at the Bronx
prices and then have to turn over any windfall profits by having the team move
to Manhattan to defray the cost of the construction. Seems fair to me and to
the taxpayers. It is just what I have been telling you guys for a long time
now. Those who got git, does who dont have dont get. HOw about those transfers
itra-boro for slow writers etc., What the hell good is the PBA if they can't
even stop this kind of behavior on the part of the NYPD. What a disgrace.

A496612321

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
MOS Message Board
This message board is subject to the terms found in the
information area on the main menu.
New email address : nyp...@webcom.com
Sgt Ret PROUDPD -- 10/24/98

If I can add another couple of thoughts concerning job actions. Whenever a
slowdown was called for, we always seemed to knock heads with supervisors who
were being ordered by the CO to find summonses and order the car to the
location to issue the ticket. Keep in mind that these supervisors are only
doing what they are told and most would prefer not to get involved. The
intelligent supervisor realizes that the fight of the Police Officer is most
likely his fight also; that a fight for higher pay automatically puts more
money in his pocket as well. However, there are always the Sergeants who take
it personally and act like you are attacking their personal financial status.
As a delegate, I had one of those type in the Precinct. Most of the Sergeants
readily agreed that I had the best solution to the problem from their
perspective. Simply, do what you are supposed to do - respond to every single
job and supervise. In most precincts that would leave precious little time to
find summonse situations. As to the "eager beaver" I explained to him that
sooner or later the job action would be over and there was no sense in creating
an atmosphere of animosity that would outlast the event. I also reminded him
that when it was over he would still have 2 eyes to watch us and we would have
40 eyes to watch him. Usually it worked mainly because the other Sergeants
would also speak to him. Lastly, if you feel that a Sergeant is deserving, take
it up with him personally in the parking lot or wherever. Do not engage in
criminal mischief against his car or his property. Thank doesn't take courage.
Be safe
Ret. Sgt. PROUDPD -- 10/24/98

Concerning the comments about job actions. I was a former PBA Delegate for many
years. Quite frankly, I never liked participating in job actions because I
always felt that they were self-defeating. The fact of the matter is that a
ticket "slowdown" doesn't mean anthing in the overall financial picture of the
city. Furthermore, in case you are unaware of it, a slowdown is a violation of
the Taylor Law as well which could result in a loss of 2 days pay for every day
of the action. It might be difficult for the City to prove its case against
every cop but I can assure you that some will be sacrificed before it is over.
The other end of the spectrum is issuing violations for everything that moves.
As if we weren't having a public relations problem already. For my two cents
(probably 1 1/2 cents with inflation), I always suggested a full investigation
for every 61 prepared. Most important - collars. Get out there and lock them up
as much as possible. Get off the street and start the overtime clock. Stop
volunteering for Summons overtime. The problem is that you can never get
everyone to agree on what is the best action to take. The PBA is in turmoil and
the City is sitting back and laughing at us. Perhaps you need to promise the
current President that you will follow his directions and demonstrate to the
city that whether or not we like what the PBA is doing, they still represent us
and will certainly listen to what they have to say rather than the city which
has engaged in the most disrespectful and insulting conduct towards the PD in
history. Please have a safe tour
NOS4A2, Bx. N0S...@earthlink.net -- 10/24/98

I'm also sick of watching the Zeros get away with doing nothing, while I'm out
there working. It is after all your JOB, and everyone should pull thier weight.
However, I dont agree with transfering people. In the case of my Pct. the guy
who was transfered was not by any definition a Zero. He had a difference of
opinion with the C.O. a few weeks back and when the request for names went out,
he was put on the list and booted. Can it be any one of us ? You betcha'. As
far as the slowdown goes, The P.B.A takes so little action in defence of Cops
these days that I'm Happy and willing to go along with any action they want to
take. At the very least, maby a little slowdown will help take this new SCARE
TACTIC away from Pct commanders.
Wayne-O WEW...@msn.com -- 10/24/98

Re: PBA sponsored "slowdown": In the thirteen years I have been around I have
seen too many PBA incited "slowdowns" to count. They accomplished ZIP, Nothing,
NADA except getting cops hurt. How do I know this...because I am one of those
cops. Years ago when I was younger and dumber I fell prey to the PBA delegates
line of shit about getting back at the Mayor, P.C., C.O., whoever; I don't even
recall what the basis of this slowdown was but, unbeknownst to me, Inspections
just happened to be monitoring Patrol in my Precinct at the time. They observed
my partner and I holding a total of three jobs for a total of about 45 mins. To
make a long story short, I took some horrible advice from a boss fighter of a
PBA delegate who told me not to speak with the ICO in an "informal" setting,
because the delegate was going to call "downtown" and get me and my partner a
lawyer. Instead of an informal discussion with the ICO and the issuance of a
Command Discipline, my partner and I ended up getting a formal GO-15, Charges
and Specs and I subsequently lost 6 days vacation, which I was more than happy
to lose just to get it over with. Thank you Mr. Retired PBA Delegate wherever
you are! You STILL can have fun on this job and it STILL can be stimulating and
enjoyable but keeping the wolf from YOUR OWN door is the name of the game.
Forget about fighting with the Mayor and forget this ridiculous tactic which
will only cause problems for you and your co-workers and change nothing. Ask
yourself, "Why would I want to put myself at risk because the C.O. transferred
a guy who never gave a shit about my partner or me?" A coward who did nothing
for anybody but himself and made me have to work harder because he never
handled the jobs in his assigned sector? I wouldn't put myself at risk for such
a person and neither should you! Let me say this, the greatest people I have
ever met and will ever know in my life are New York City Police Officers. Brave
men and women who proudly do their jobs day in and day out, without the
recognition or even the financial rewards that they deserve. People who do
justice to the reputation enjoyed by the greatest Police Department in the
world. Do we have problems? Sure we do but that shouldn't make people forget
where their bread is buttered or how they pay their mortgage.
Sgt, Kevin B. Golfe...@aol.com -- 10/24/98

Wayne, your opinion isn't as unpopular as you may think. While most would agree
with Pete, I have a hard time going along with the idea that there is a command
where everyone is on the ball. Pete - every command I have ever worked in has
had a zero. Be he/she burnt out from years on patrol, an ex-criminal who
shouldn't have been hired in the first place, or just a plain old idiot since
birth, there is always at the very LEAST one zero. Usually more than one. The
guys/gals who bust their ass, I'm sure, are not quaking in their boots right
now saying "today it was him/her, tomorrow it could be me!" Along with these
transfers comes word of a slowdown. As a supervisor, I hate that idea, because
it puts me in the middle - the cops put their blinders on, and the C.O. yells
at me, and has me do more checkpoints! But even as a cop, I don't know that I
would be too eager to jump on this bandwagon. While I wholeheartedly believe in
solidarity, you also have to know which battles to fight.
Sgt. (ret.) Will Sekzer WAS7444 -- 10/24/98

In reference to the recent transfers, someone spoke about ranking officers from
1- 10. Many of you may not recall that when Personnel Evaluations first
started, there was a section on the rear of the form in which the Sergeant had
to rank his squad accordingly. Of course 10 Sergeants could rank the same squad
and come up with different responses. The argument that was used to discontinue
this terrible procedure was: "If the PC came home and found a bomb in his
living room, what would he say if the Bomb Squad guy showed up and he was #10
of 10?. I'll bet the ranking wouldn't mean anything then.
Cruz ri...@webcom.com -- 10/24/98
I recall that the Dept tried a similar program back in 87 when several 77 pct
cops were shaking down dealers. The program was to transfer most cops from
their permanent commands every 5 years. I also recall it only working for one
pass and then we never heard from it again. It all may be another political
move to calm the public. Let's hope it is.

Sgt Kevin 43 Whalen426 @aol.com -- 10/23/98

I agree with Wayne. The hard working cops should have nothing to fear. For the
SLACKERS this should be an eye opener, if they stop complaining for one minute
they will see it is easier to do the job the rigth way then to take all the
time they use to Shit Can the few jobs they handle

Subj: Re:Good Arrest
Date: 10/17/98 17:36:54 Eastern Daylight Time
From: Trk874

I would just like to thank the 2 rookies, and their rookie sgt for the good
arrest they effected in the confines of the 106Pct. The perp was a NYCPD Det
assigned to the 75Pct and had a spotless record. The terrible crime was DWI ,a
fender bender with NO INJURY. One of the rookies stated "Im not losing my job
over this". With 18years on the job, I can sleep at night knowing these
crimefighters are out there. Good work boys, and if anyone wants to know the
names E-Mail me so we can all call them up and tell them what a great job they
did
Subj: Re:Good Arrest
Date: 10/18/98 20:28:07 Eastern Daylight Time
From: Mack1994

Let's be fair... You say fender bender... was the property of another damaged
by a drunk? ...or did he just trashed his car taking on a tree, a ditch, or
wall?

If this guy took out a car belonging to someone else he has to be held
accountable. Frankly I know this is hard for you being the great detective and
all but the days of drunks being comic relief and lovable, be they cops,
firemen, or priests, are long gone. Nobody has tolerance for that crap anymore.
It is irresponsible to drink and drive. Take it from someone who knows. Had
this guy killed someone, and the potential was there, he would be no better
than someone that killed when he was crack crazed. The bottom line is had this
guy wrecked my car, with my wife and child in it he would definitely have to be
held accountable regardless if they were injured or not.

Have I locked up another cop for being drunk? No... have I taken cops home who
were in no condition to drive... Yes... I have been fortunate when I got them
before they didn't hurt anybody, or trashed anybody else's property.

Mack1994
Subj: Re:Good Arrest
Date: 10/18/98 23:57:19 Eastern Daylight Time
From: GFuzz168

So I guess the rookie should put his job on the line???? Were you
there?? What happend if all the people standing around watching knew he was a
cop and were waiting to see if the cops would cover this up. I'm all for taking
the guy home or ignoring the smell on his breath but you know the way the
public and media is and how the PC likes to parade cops IFO the public in
cuffs. Maybe the Det. should have taken a cab. What are the details of the
job anyway?? Maybe that will help some of us understand why they felt they
needed to make the collar.
Subj: Re:Good Arrest
Date: 10/19/98 10:59:28 Eastern Daylight Time
From: ShieldPD

Although I believe this should be held on the restricted side, I do feel that
this could have been taken care of if the other motorist had not known of the
detective's condition. All too often, we respond to disputes with off-duty
LEO's and civilians......easily Sh--canned, however, the LEO is yelling in f/o
everyone "I'm a cop, I'm on the job!" Now what does that do? It puts everyone
on the line. I don't know the details of the collar and I know personally what
I would do, however, I'm not on probation and the job is obviously different
than it was years ago. I also heard some stories of Queens Marines.......

A496612321

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
Subj: Re:ESU and 17th Pct Question
Date: 10/27/98 16:15:54 Eastern Standard Time
From: Torrap2

Guys, I think that mum should be the word here. There are too many "Ridleys"
invading this board to take a querie like this as sincere, and besides, it's
not our business to disclose information to the public.. If someone would
like to extract detailed information regarding the NYPD, there are channels in
place for him to do so. I recommend calling NYPD Headquarters at 1 Police
Plaza and asking for the Deputy Commissioner of Public Information.
Subj: DO NOT POST HERE
Date: 10/27/98 16:37:01 Eastern Standard Time
From: ShieldPD

Be advised, there is an on-going situation here where we have certain people
invading these boards who are looking to hurt cops. They are bona-fide cop
haters. They regularly post on the PSC board "civilian review boards" and that
internet board copwatch. Any material relating to NYPD or any other sensitive
info. that the press or these people can twist around should be posted on the
restricted side. E-mail me for more info......
Subj: Re:Good Arrest
Date: 10/27/98 20:38:27 Eastern Standard Time
From: Trk874

You have wrong information, no chief ever responder, it was a D.I and he made
the call. The point was he never should have been called, the cops could have
handled the accident, and that would have been that. They are a bunch of
pussies, and the accident was a minor fender bender, the Det not going the
wrong way, but bumping the other guy in the side of his car. Don't try to
cover up for the rookies who had no balls.
Subj: Re:Escaped Perp.
Date: 10/27/98 20:58:17 Eastern Standard Time
From: 1010CB

Congrats to the Bklyn PO who let his prisoner escape from Woodhull Hospital
tonight. You made us all look real good. It seems the PO went to make a phone
call and while he was talking the perp made his escape into the Brooklyn
streets. What a loser you are!

<Picture>MOS Message Board
This message board is subject to the terms found in the
information area on the main menu.

New email address : nyp...@webcom.com

Henry retired and happy MrHe...@aol.com -- 10/27/98

I remember the late 60s and 70s, when every job you went on you thought it was
a set up to kill a cop. As I recall there were 8 to 10 murders of cops every
year. Besides the BLA, there were the panthers, weathermen underground and the
FALN. One of the better stories of the day back in the early 70s was when the
Weathermen's bomb factory in the Village (around 12 st) blew up and Morales
lost some of his body parts while working there. The only thing close to the
60s and 70s was when Ed Byrnes was killed in Jamaica. Don't forget the bombs at
1 PP and federal courts on New Years eve December 1982. Stay safe there are
animals out there looking to kill you
Ret.Sgt. Ed Coulter ed...@montana.com -- 10/27/98

Hello to all. I just found this site while surfing. Nice to see a NYPD presence
on the web. Hope to visit often. Retired in '88 and now live in Montana. What a
difference in life styles!
ProudPD WAS7444 -- 10/27/98

To Det/Ret - the story concerning the shooting in front of DA Hogan's house was
correct. A few more minor details. The names of the officers were Curry and
Binetti. Curry took four, repeat four, .45 caliber slugs in the head and
survived with his partner. The situation in which this all took place was a
repeat of an incident in California. The vehicle intentionally commits a
traffic violation in front of the police and leads them on a chase to a
pre-determined location where they would suddenly turn and attack. The worse
part of the whole incident is that fact that when it was reported on the news
that night, a Channel 5 reporter thought it necessary to point out that police
cars (at that time) had a steel bar running the length of the body. He noted
that had the mutts fired a little above the bar they would have riddled both
officers. THANK YOU SO MUCH - YOU JACKASS. As to the rumor that Bratton did
nothing about complaints of poster removal, it was more than a rumor. He was
shown on the news, taking a video cassette of officers engaged in this action,
throwing it in the garbage can and telling the complainant that he and Patacki
would not be around in another 48 hours. Quite honestly, that wasn't very smart
on his part. He could have just passed it on to a subordinate and directed that
the investigation be killed. For Wayn-O. I heard a slightly different version
of the shooting. It seems the officer in question had made a car stop of the
perp's brother and an altercation began. The perp came from across the street,
opened fire striking the officer in the back and then stood over him and
executed him. And, you're right about the liberal supporters and their mumbling
explanations. Some, like Ed Asner, declare that they are not supporting a
cop-killer but merely indicating their dissatisfaction with the manner in which
the trial was conducted. They feel another trial is in order. So do I - all
they have to do is bring the cop back to testify. You should also know that one
of the supporters of Mooka Mooka Ben Mooka, is Jerry of "Ben & Jerry" fame. He
has contributed a good amount of money to the killer's fund. There was quite a
todo about this on the internet about two months ago. There was talk of a
national boycott of Ben & Jerry ice cream but I believe that the effort did not
go forward. And finally, to whoever it was that spoke on the BLA. If you
weren't on the job then you have no idea what cops were going through.
Emergency Service Officers worked overtime in civilian clothes backing up radio
cars throughout the city. Every single job turned into a stress test. The Curry
and Benetti incident I referred to is generally considered to be the opening
salvo from the BLA. However, I believe there was an earlier incident in the 28
Pct. in which 2 cops (Kevlihan & Bax) were sent to a building on a phony aided
case. The building had recently been painted and was the only white structure
on the block. As they exited their RMP and approached the building they were a
perfect target for rooftop snipers who opened up on both of them. Again, a
miracle. I think Kevlihan was hit numerous times but survived. Of course, the
other infamous incidents connected with the BLA was the double murder of Foster
& Laurie (9th Pct) and the double murder of Piagentina and Jones (32nd Pct). It
came to an end (sort of) with the shooting of Twyman Meyers, the mutt reputed
to be the main shooter in the Foster/Laurie case. He was found in the Bronx and
when he came out of hiding to go to the store he was surrounding by over 2
dozen detectives. He decided to shoot it out and suffered (if memory is
correct) 47 bullet wounds. I don't know how we ever survived the Dinkins years.
I fully expected that Community Control woudl spread from the Board of
Education to the P.D., and I still think it's possible. One of these days, the
community will have the right to hire and fire whoever they want for the
position of PO and to establish what laws will be enforced in their area and
which ones won't. I can just picture the day when you start chasing a 14 year
old car thief from the 9th Pct and have to discontinue the chase when he
crosses over into the 7th because you're not allowed to arrest a "poor
misguided youth of the ghetto" for car theft in that precinct. May God have
mercy on the souls of you who are just starting your careers.
Det/Ret Pet...@aol.com -- 10/27/98

WAYNE: If you are interested in the days of the BLA then read "Badge of the
Assassins", by a former ADA and now well read author, Robert Tanenbaum. It will
be in your local library. They were shooting cops on a pretty regular basis.
And who now gets all the extra security? Rudy, the PC, to name a few. One night
two BLA guys shot machinegunned two cops in front of the late DA Frank Hogan's
house. It was business as usual the next day. No bums were going to make decent
people run for cover. I know, because I drove Hogan then. The night of the
shooting I got a call from my boss at about 11PM, and he told me about the
shooting and to be careful tomorrow when I picked up the boss ! That was it!
And, apparentley it was all that was necessary. Today you have people who think
they are larger than life. They have advance teams, an army of security with
them, and for what? I remember one day while at 1PP I saw the PC's security
people in the auditorium, earpieces and all scanning the crowds. Really, in
1PP!!!! Give me a break.
Det/Ret Pet...@aol.com -- 10/27/98

SILLY BILLY: Seems like Bratton's latest actions confirms the story I heard
sometime ago that D'Amato screwed him with his job with Citibank. Bratton came
out and supported Schumer for senator in the upcoming election. It was rumored
that D'Amato took grave exception to Bratton concerning an incident where
Bratton ordered election posters that were Pataki oriented be torn down as they
were considered electioneering. As many of you may remember it was also an
accepted fact that Pataki was a D'amato protege. When the issue was brought to
light it was reported that Bratton said to a high ranking Pataki operative, "
What's the difference, you won't be around tomorrow anyway." As you know Rudy
backed Coumo, and Bratton followed his Masters bidding. Well, D'Amato was
pissed and when it became known that Citibank was about to hire Bratton for a
high seven figure job, D'Amato, the chairman of the Senate Banking Commitee
placed a call to the president of Citibank and suggested he rethink his
position on Bratton. Result: no job. Billy seems to think his endorsement, or
lack of endorsement means something, ergo, Silly Billy.
Wayne-O WEW...@msn.com -- 10/27/98

I saw something very interesting on the Sunday New York Post's editorial page
concerning our former Mayoral nemesis, David Norman Dinkins. It seems that the
Dink is now publically supporting a CONVICTED COP KILLER'S release from jail,
along with that scumbag Ed Asner, Whooppi Goldberg, Gloria Steinem and the rest
of Hollywood's "it's cool to be anti-establishment even though I haven't a clue
as to what is going on" crew. The case in question is that of a mutt calling
himself Mumia Abul-Jamal. (His real name is probably something like Roy Smalls)
If you are not familiar with this case, the main issue is that this mutt Jamal
and his brother had an encounter with a cop named Daniel Faulkner in
Pennsylvania seventeen years ago. PO Faulkner was apparently overpowered by
these guys and he was executed with a bullet between the eyes with a gun
registered to Jamal. There were eyewitnesses and 57 other things implicating
Jamal but none of that seems to matter to the Rebels without a clue.
Additionally, Jamal NEVER has denied murdering PO Faulkner; he simply states
that he is NOT GUILTY of this crime. (How these jail house lawyers love their
semantic games) Today there is the usual smokescreen of lawyer B.S. claiming a
case of mistaken identity blah, blah, blah and the real facts of the case are
obscured by the rhetoric spewed by pseudo-hip celebrities and now our former
Mayor, who is clamoring for Jamal's conviction to be overturned by the
Pennsylvania Supreme Court. Those more knowledgeable about this case than me
believe that outcome is highly unlikely. The interesting point for me is the
Dink's public support for this Jamal. I always had contempt for Dave Dinkins
but seeing this display of blind stupidity and his obvious hatred of cops
everywhere (even dead ones killed in the line of duty) has been an eyeopener.
Personally, I would not piss in Dave Dinkins mouth if his throat was on fire,
and to think that this guy used to have a lot to do with running the New York
City Police Department is a scary thing indeed. As bad as you might think
things are today, the current situation does not begin to compare to the
malaise I felt going to work during the Dinkins administration. Every day had
the potential to be your funeral, both literally and figuritively. OF COURSE,
the late 60's and 70's, when cops were being ambushed by the BLA, were worse
than even the Dinkins administration but I was in diapers at the time so I can
only comment on my own experience.
ProudPD WAS7444 -- 10/26/98

Joe 103 is right. I was number 4. For crying out loud, it's a lousy $5 minimum.
Most of you probably pay more than that to get into some of these single bars,
or is the tin still good? I remember whenever a guy in the precinct would try
to put together a dinner dance or outing or anything of that nature, all anyone
could say is: "How much are you making on this.". I'll bet none of them would
go into a store to purchase an item (any item) and ask the owner the same
questions. Of course none of them wanted to do the work, and when it was all
over there was always the "why did you seat me with..........etc. I have no
idea what it costs to operate this site, but it should certainly be worth it to
us to help maintain it. Think of it as an Internet 10-13 party.
PO Joe 103 10...@usa.net -- 10/26/98

Wow,just made my contribution to the site. Not too much to say almost anything
you want too. I know as well as the next guy that things are tough when it
comes to money but come on guys I had the pleasure of being #7, lucky #7. Lets
all pitch in and keep the site going, or we could go back to that guy over at
AOL.

A496612321

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
MOS Message Board
This message board is subject to the terms found in the
information area on the main menu.
<Picture>  Click on the radio to monitor the SOD Citywide Radio Frequency
A Pentium PC, 14.4 modem, and RealAudio Player are required
New email address : nyp...@webcom.com

ProudPD WAS7444 -- 10/29/98

To Sgt. Gregg, DCLM. I certainly don't want to defend NY1, but are we sure that
they are the ones who referred the matter to NYPD? If we have no concrete proof
then it could very well have been anyone on the net. We must always keep in
mind that there can be any number of jerks out there who are eager to report
such outrageious violations as complaining about the department. It would not
surprise me in the least to discover that the Department has certain members of
IAB or some other such unit, whose job it is to monitor the net. They probably
get an extra chart day back for using their personal computer at home. What's
worse is that we'll never know who they are. They can be the person who agrees
with everthing that is said while he's dialing the phone to the PC's office. If
it was NY1 then your advice is certainly well taken. But if we don't know that
for sure, then the danger still lurks among us. Remember, when a cop gets hurt,
it doesn't help to grab any perp - we want the one that actually did it. Have a
safe tour
Sgt.,Greg,DCLM greg...@aol.com -- 10/29/98

HEADS UP!! An MOS who took issue with a news story that aired on NY1 decided to
send the tv station an e-mail. Showing his true colors, he signed his name an
identified himself as a member of the NYPD. He was quite surprised when a
"friend" in the job gave him a "heads up" and told him he had better not attach
the NYPD to any further correspondence because his views might be understood to
be less than politically correct and might cause him some trouble. I guess that
the people at NY1 are not content taking every available minute of air time
they have to bash the police, they have to forward criticism from MOS to
someone who will remind you the your first amendment rights are subject to
reprimand. Something to think about.
Det/Ret Pet...@aol.com -- 10/29/98

I LOVE IT! No sooner do I get through writing about the silly security and self
importance it brings those who use it does a nut walk up the front of City Hall
and paint 6 Swatiskas on the front door. Oh, my God, whose head will roll for
that one? Then you have George "edgar Bergen" Steinbrenner with his sidekick
Rudy "Charlie McCarthy" Guiliani on his knee announcing to the world he is
going to donate $200K for the Dominican relief fund. While at the same time he
is trying to pick the pockets of NYers of 1 Billion dollars with a publicly
financed stadium in Manhattan. Where did the classy and quiet ones go? Class:
Was a story in the papers about a year ago and it was a very small story. This
business man who nobody ever heard about was reported to have given away
BILLIONS! that's right boys and girls that's with a B and no one ever heard of
him. He was such a nondescript character that one day he took his family to
lunch at the famed "21" and got a table. His kids were impressed with their
dad's influence. I mean here's a guy who can give away billions should have no
problem getting a table at "21" Right? Wrong. Seems as though "21" thought he
was the president of MLB National League, Chubb Feeny and gave him the table by
mistake! George gives away $200K and he wants $200M in publicity. That other
fool in Atlanta made such a big deal about giving away $1B to the UN, yada yada
yad, but failed to mention that if the give a way was structured properly he
could possibly come away with a 100M profit after tax write-offs. George is
looking to give away only $200K so he can gain a billion. Or at least a couple
of hundred million which he will gain with the teams added value after they get
Manhattan and he sells the team. And you guys toil with zeros. Something ain't
right.
Subj: Re:Dateline/nbc
Date: 8/12/98 07:41:17 Eastern Standard Time
From: UF250
Did anyone watch the dateline/ NBC show last night . It had to do with cops not
following proper dept gudielines , concering reporting CCRB complaints . I only
could the last half, when the bronx cops ..refused to help people file
complaints . In one pct..the sgt tell the perp to get out of my pct . Then the
perp in the interview with the NBC reporter says" I am hurt its not his station
house its mine the tax payers " ....I feel sorry for the cops involved . Safier
was watching all this ..and promised action . So remember next time......see A
NBC car or repeoter don't talk to them .
JUst another show to bash the NYPD .
UF250.....
Subj: Re:Dateline/nbc
Date: 8/12/98 09:08:38 Eastern Standard Time
From: Petefio

Just another assault on the police that is unwarranted. I think Safir was
reported to have said (off camera) that he would have to review the incident in
it's totality to see what brought them up to what we saw.
Do guys still make stupid mistakes and do what Dateline appears to depict? I am
sure they do. Why? I don't know. Just give them the form and send them on their
way and conform to procedure.
If Dateline wanted to be fair they could also do a piece on the reaction and
sensitivity of a cop when some pain in the ass comes into a precinct and makes
a complaint in your own house.
Why don't they just go to a "complaint division" set up for that. It only adds
insult to injury.
They would also have shown you the other clips, more than the one they showed
where the cops were doing their jobs as they have been directed.
Maybe the Department should re-think how they take in CCRB complaints. A
person comes in and that person should be given a phone number and directed
elsewhere.
If Dateline wanted to be even fairer to the cops they would do a show on how
hard they work and how much they are underpaid. Then do clips on a Suburbians
cop's typical day. That would be the decent thing to do for a change.
In short, the Media sucks. Otherwise, if my information is correct they would
have done some stories on the bellAtlantic sabotage by the workers. If they
did that they would fear that maybe others could get the same idea and do the
same. This would disrupt the Establishment, and that is a no no.
Friday's Dateline will probably be worse.
I wonder if those jokers who did the undercover will do a piece on the "Teen"
march and pan the stores in the area with the "black owned business" signs in
the windows. Probably not, they will only be interested in focusing their
cameras on some unsuspecting cops.
NYPD TO TIDY UP 'TORTURE' SITE
The scene of the alleged attack on Abner Louima is getting a make-over.
The NYPD has alerted the FBI, the Brooklyn district attorney and defense
lawyers that it plans to refurbish the rundown bathroom in the 70th Precinct
station house where Louima was allegedly sodomized by cops.
Sources say the feds and prosecutors are about to sign off on the bathroom face
lift.
The NYPD is waiting to hear from defense lawyers, who have 30 days to send
investigators to take pictures of the bathroom before the remodeling starts.
"If you've seen one police bathroom, you've seen them all," said Marvyn
Kornberg, lawyer for accused torture cop Justin Volpe.
"I did not know the NYPD needed my permission to fix a bathroom in one of its
facilities."
Officials said the remodeling of the 70th Precinct's first floor and bathroom
was in the works before Louima was allegedly assaulted last Aug. 9, and was a
part of a broader plan to fix up many of the NYPD's station houses.
One source said the face lift was scheduled for a few days after the Louima
incident and workers were preparing to start the work when the NYPD's Internal
Affairs Division found out about it and ordered them to wait.
"Can you imagine what kind of outcry there would have been, with people
screaming coverup by the NYPD, had the work started?" a source close to the
Louima investigation said.
"I don't know what they were thinking over at the NYPD, but thankfully,
Internal Affairs interceded and did the right thing."
Officials say the make-over for the bathroom - where two cops were wounded when
a suspect grabbed an officer's gun in a separate incident - is expected to cost
several thousand dollars.
The rehab is part of a two-year, $87 million improvement program to upgrade 69
NYPD station houses, officials said.
Volpe allegedly sodomized a handcuffed Louima with a stick following Louima's
arrest during a melee outside a Brooklyn nightclub.
Three other cops have been charged with assaulting Louima at the station house
or en route to it.
Eleven other cops have been placed on modified duty in connection with the
case.
A federal grand jury probing the incident has been hearing testimony and taking
evidence as federal prosecutors continue to weigh taking over the case from the
Brooklyn district attorney.
Sources have told The Post that the FBI has unearthed no hard evidence of a
conspiracy or pattern of abuse at the 70th Precinct.

A496612321

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98

A496612321

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
MOS Message Board
This message board is subject to the terms found in the
information area on the main menu.
<Picture>  Click on the radio to monitor the SOD Citywide Radio Frequency
A Pentium PC, 14.4 modem, and RealAudio Player are required

New email address : nyp...@webcom.com

Det/Ret Pet...@aol.com -- 10/30/98
PROUDPD: YOU ARE RIGHT ! There is no guarantee it will be extended. That,
despite the fact they have twisted our arms and got the line organizations to
sell them the fund in the first place has already deprived us out of a ton of
money. The creeps who run the line organizations have already shown us what
they think of the retirees by increasing the copay for us over and above the
active member. This, despite the fact I payed dues for 29yrs. A rook comes in
and gets full benefits at the getgo. We can't vote...so who cares. The common
denominator for all of us, active/retired is that all of us will be retired
sooner or later. None of us will be reactivated again. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T GET
SCREWED. Protect your interests now! And you are right again as to where and
what use the computers are for: Kiddie Porn. But I would put nothing past these
people to spy via the Internet.
ProudPD WAS744 -- 10/30/98
One last comment and I'll get off your backs. How about supporting the guy
running this thing for crying out loud. Give up a five dollar bill. Isn't this
much fun worth it? Be Safe
ProudPD WAS7444 -- 10/30/98
To All Retirees and Those That Will Retire After 2006: I have heard any number
of arguments concerning the Defined Benefit and what will happen in the year
2007. As you may known the contract in which this benefit was obtained noted
that the Benefit would increase $500 a year until it reached a top pay of
$12,000 in 2006. What isn't clear is what happens after that. Everyone seems to
be walking around saying that it remains the same. That it can only be raised
not lowered. I personally challenge all such statements and defy anyone to show
me that in writing. There is every chance that the entire benefit can be
re-negotiated. Oh great, you say. They'll raise it for sure. WRONG - WRONG -
WRONG. They can throw the whole thing out the window!!!!. That's right -
everything gone. Buty you say: "Oh no "they" can't - "they" would never do that
to us. Well let's take a little trip down history lane. The VSB orginally came
into being around 1968. At that time the benefit consisted of a monthly payment
of $240. The Defined Benefit was negotiated under Caruso and the City was given
about a hundred zillion dollars to change plans. Where did the money come from
to establish the original VSB - it came from the sweat and contributions of
those of our brothers and sisters who retired prior to 1968 - the very same
individuals who are not receiving one single, solitary, stinking cent of their
contributions. Retirees prior to 1968 are exempt from the fund. Now that you
have this little tidbit to chew on, ask yourself that same question again about
what the City might do to us in 2007. How about a new format for pension
supplementation and we'll be the ones shut out. I was a PBA delegate for a long
time and to this day I have not seen one single piece of paper that mandates
that the City continue to Defined Benefit past 2006. I would be glad to hear
evidence to the contrary. Be safe.
ProudPD WAS7444 -- 10/30/98
To Henry Retired and Happy. Your comments were intended to convey the thought
that NYPD surfs for these types of boards. It's possible that you are correct.
However, the Computer Crimes Unit does surf for possible computer scams and
MOST ESPECIALLY, for kiddie porn and related problems. Be safe.
ProudPD WAS7444 -- 10/30/98
To Ret/Det. Sorry. I have to take small issue with your statement concerning
our safety as retired PD and inform you of some potential bad news. Don't
forget your pistol license. Your pistol license does not fit any of the legal
guidelines and is a totally "discretionary" decision of the PC which can be
revoked for any reason whatsoever under the usual ambiguous heading of "conduct
unbecoming". It has been done in the past and remains an option for the
Department. Also I want to inform all retired NYPD of the most recent outrage
against retirees. You may have noticed that your pension check was increased.
Well don't get excited, because every single cent of your increase (it varies
with age, etc). will be deducted from the Variable Supplement Fund (or Defined
Benefit) in your annual check. This, despite the fact that they are two
completely different funds. Don't bother to call your line organization, they
didn't even show up to speak on our behalf at the hearings. In addition, in
case you are unaware of it, line organizations are forbidden BY LAW from
negotiating on your behalf. Lastly, there may be a benefit in what happened.
Remember that your pension is state and city tax free - the VSF is not.
Therefore, they have taken a sum of money from a taxable payment and
transferred it to a non-taxable format. Please don't ask me how much you save -
almost every pensioner gets a different amount, again based on age, retirement
date, the phase of the moon, etc. etc. Isn't it just peachy to be retired?
Henry retired and happy MrHe...@aol.com -- 10/30/98
The person who might be reporting this info to the place, isn't home on their
computer, they are in the palace and using dept. computers to scan the net. I
think there is a unit who's sole job is computer scanning for info. stay safe
Det/Ret Pet...@aol.com -- 10/30/98
PROUDPD: See what I mean? We are blessed that we are retired and no longer
under the watchful eye of big brother. Sometimes I hesitate to go into my usual
tirades as it may encourage actime MOS to post likewise without any
consideration of reprecussions.
ProudPD WAS7444 -- 10/30/98
Additional to Sgt Gregg - I just re-read your warning and I was wondering if
the subject officer knew who his "friend" was and how this "friend" found out.
Can we look into that in order to get a more definite idea of who is behind
this. The "friend" may be merely expressing his opinion on something he read
and the department may not even be aware of the situation. Again, your warnings
are well taken, let's try to go a few steps further and see if we can identify
the offending parties, if any. Have a safe tour.

A496612321

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
Justice, For Some
On the street, a student sees the painful side of New York's legal system
By Justin Steil

Anthony Baez, 29, had been playing ball with his brothers when the ball
accidentally hit two parked patrol cars. An irate officer handcuffed Anthony’s
brother David. When Anthony protested his brother’s arrest, the officer grabbed
Anthony in a chokehold. Other officers then knelt on his back while handcuffing
him. His family warned the officers of Anthony’s asthma but officers left him
lying on the ground for ten to fifteen minutes before dragging him to the car
and taking him to the hospital where he was pronounced dead from “asphyxia due
to compression of the neck and chest,” a homicide.

The three months I spent working this summer as an investigator for the public
defender’s office in New York City, were some of the most painfully eye-opening
of my life. Interviewing clients at arraignments, photographing crime scenes,
searching for witnesses, trying to obtain statements from victims, monitoring
line-ups, writing and delivering subpoenas, and fulfilling the other
responsibilities of an investigator gave me a firsthand look at urban crime and
the legal system. It is one thing to read about the legal system and quite
another to be part of it, to have some responsibility in the struggle to get an
innocent person released, to be free while they are imprisoned. It is one thing
to read statistics about police brutality and quite another to see the bruises
and the blood of the victims.

Limitless Power
None of the cases I saw were as dramatic as that of Abner Louima, the Haitian
immigrant arrested in August after a scuffle outside a Brooklyn nightclub. Two
white officers beat him in the patrol car. At the precinct, two more white
officers took the handcuffed Louima into the bathroom where they tortured him
further, shoving the wooden handle of a toilet plunger up his rectum and into
his mouth, breaking his teeth, causing severe internal bleeding, and rupturing
his bladder and colon.

According to Louima, the officers shouted, “Nigger, this is Giuliani time.”
When, at the urging of other prisoners, an ambulance took Louima to the
hospital hours later, the nurse called the Internal Affairs Bureau of the New
York City Police Department (NYPD). The officer receiving the call ignored the
complaint.

These beatings are not isolated incidents. More often than any would like to
know, those empowered to serve and protect beat and kill. Since 1987, the
number of police brutality claims in New York City has tripled, according to
the Civilian Complaint Review Board (CCRB), a body established by former Mayor
David Dinkins to investigate complaints against the police. The police in New
York and other cities increasingly feel that their power is limitless, that any
action, no matter how prejudiced or violent, is justified. In New York, police
will probably not be disciplined and certainly not convicted for their
violence. According to the statistics of the CCRB as published in the New York
Times, 20,000 complaints have been filed against the NYPD since 1993 and only
one percent of those complaints led to the disciplining of an officer, usually
by the loss of vacation days.

Heavy-Handed & Color-Conscious
Now that a “war on crime” has been declared, it is the police against the
enemy, and the enemy is primarily African-Americans and Latinos in the inner
city. Out of hundreds of cases over the whole summer, I only saw two whites
arraigned; I don’t think that is because white people do not commit crimes. And
when whites are arrested, they are less likely to be convicted, and if found
guilty, nearly assured of a lighter sentence. Eighty percent of all brutality
complaints in New York last year were filed by non-whites against a police
force that is overwhelmingly white, according to statistics from the CCRB.

In its report on brutality in the NYPD, Amnesty International found a pattern
of “ill treatment of suspects, deaths in custody, and unjustified shootings by
officers,” especially against African-American, Asian- American, and Latino
neighborhoods. The report found that nearly ninety percent of the fifty-five
people who died in police custody between 1990 and 1994 were African-American
or Latino. For good reason, many minorities fear of the police, knowing they
can be harassed, arrested, beaten, or even murdered by those empowered to
defend them.

No concrete steps have been taken to address the culture of brutality that
pervades the police force of New York City. The mayor has consistently opposed
the creation of a powerful independent review board and supported officers
accused of using excessive force, reinforcing police officers’ belief that they
have nothing to fear. And many students here have encouraged the mayor and the
police.

Bloody Boston
Both New York City’s Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Deputy Mayor Rudy Washington
received overwhelming applause after their speeches this year at the Kennedy
School of Government. Only a few turned up to protest when Giuliani spoke about
his “New Urban Agenda.” Police brutality was not even mentioned at Washington’s
speech. And police brutality is certainly not foreign to Boston or Cambridge,
yet most students know little about incidents here and in their hometowns.

According to the Boston Globe, citizens filed 231 brutality complaints against
the Boston Police Department in 1996. The St. Clair Commission report about the
Boston police found that while officers were using more physical violence
against citizens, the internal affairs department was less inclined to believe
citizens’ complaints. One case from 1995 is especially interesting.

An African-American undercover police officer was severely beaten, allegedly by
other Boston police who thought he was a fleeing suspect. The undercover
officer, Michael Cox, was the first on the scene at the end of a high-speed
chase. He pursued the suspects on foot and was about to apprehend one, when he
was knocked unconscious by a blow to his head, he says, from Officer Burgios.
Semiconscious, he was beaten further by Burgios while officers Williams and
Daley either joined in or looked on. As Daley was placing him under arrest,
some officers from Cox’s unit recognized him and called an ambulance. He was
rushed to the hospital and treated for severe contusions on his head, multiple
lacerations on his face and lips, a concussion, and kidney damage.

Despite radio transmissions detailing the presence of over two-dozen officers
at the scene all claimed to know nothing about the incident. The police’s
official injury report says “Officer Cox lost his footing on a puddle of ice,
causing him to lose his balance.” The patrol supervisor, Sergeant Dovidio,
filed a report saying that he responded at 3:15 a.m. to find that “Williams and
Burgios were the only officers at the scene.” After three years, not a single
officer has been charged with the assault. Dovidio has since been promoted to
the anticorruption unit, the same unit responsible for investigating Cox’s
beating.

The December 8 Boston Globe article writes, “The Cox scandal shows a Boston
police code of silence, along with problems of excessive force that have long
dogged the department to be alive and well. At its brutal essence, the beating
of Cox calls to mind the infamous attack on Rodney King by the Los Angeles
police – except that in Boston’s version, the victim is a decorated cop.”

Though many options are available to combat the increasing culture of
brutality, few mayors adopt them. According to the New York Times, about half
of New York City police officers live in the suburbs. Requirements that
officers live in the communities that they police would be a powerful step
towards police seeing residents not as adversaries unworthy of respect, but as
citizens. The active recruitment of minority officers could also begin to
lessen the blatantly racist attitude of the police. Other options to attack the
brutality and prejudice within the police include requirements that officers
have at least a college education, more extensive sensitivity training,
treatment to deal with the emotional and psychological rigors of the job, quick
and severe discipline for officers accused of using excessive force, and
tracking precincts and officers with multiple complaints of brutality. All
these measures would just be the very beginning, however, since police
brutality is only the most visible facet of a discriminatory legal system that
is daily breeding distrust, fear and bitterness among many.

Pointing Fingers
Once arrested, indigent defendants enter a legal system heavily biased against
them. The police, prosecutors, and sometimes even judges all work together for
a conviction. In New York City, overworked public defenders often have over
one-hundred open felony cases to cover to a prosecutor’s thirty. Prosecutors
can rely on the extensive resources and power of the NYPD for investigations
while the understaffed public defender’s office has about ten investigators for
10,000 cases.

Police often suggestively direct their identification procedures. In one case,
the victim described a robber as a black male with locked hair; the police
picked up a homeless man in a sweep and placed him in a six-person line-up
where he was the only man with locks (he was later convicted, despite another
eyewitness who testified that this was not the perpetrator). But if the police
are worried that even that skewed a line-up might not lead to a conviction,
they can just make one up. One officer this summer testified under oath to an
investigation and a line-up that he never conducted.

One haunting case is that of a 19 year old African-American male from Brooklyn.
He was arrested and charged with twice robbing a glass-windowed candy store in
Times Square, across the street from a police station, at rush hour. A
Jehovah’s Witness, the defendant had gone to school six days and four nights a
week, as well as attending Bible study and Temple. Both times he was elsewhere
in the presence of multiple witnesses, though they were considered unreliable
because they were family. He had no prior criminal record. Fingerprints taken
from a bag that only the perpetrator touched did not match his.

Defense attorneys discovered that the main prosecution witness had multiple
previous convictions, including one for robbing his former employer at
gunpoint, and that nearby stores in the same chain had also been robbed, with
an inside job strongly suspected. Beginning to worry, the prosecution had the
defense attorneys removed on the grounds that they had access (though they had
not used it) to the prosecution witness’ confidential files from previous
cases.

Though he made all his court dates and his mother offered all her assets even
offering to mortgage their house as collateral, the judge set bail far out of
their reach. The defendant spent the next seven months in a Rikers Island cell
with fifty inmates. His case is still pending with new lawyers. Representatives
of a legal system more determined to find him guilty than to find the truth
have already threatened his future and changed his life.

Reconstructing the Enemy
Certainly the police and prosecutors face an extremely difficult and often
dangerous job; they try to do their best and do what they think is right.
Though these abuses are shockingly prevalent, many upright officers and
prosecutors would never commit such acts. Certainly everyone wants crime to
decrease. But does injustice and prejudice in the police force and legal system
help? And does anything justify sending innocent people to jail, or beating or
killing unarmed citizens? If this claims it is committed to justice, it cannot
accept police abuse, especially abuse rooted in prejudice.

At the heart of these horrors, I think, is a rapidly increasing “us versus
them” mentality, from police and prosecutors who do not live in the communities
they “serve” and see those residents not so much as citizens or even people but
as potential criminals and enemies. The legal system I saw cared about
conviction or acquittal, not truth, not justice. The distrust that results from
the discriminatory and abusive legal system, I think, does not decrease crime,
but fosters it. The police could fight crime more effectively if they had the
trust of the communities they served.

Though many of these examples are from New York City, I think they apply to
urban areas across the country, especially when New York is held up as such a
successful example and other cities follow its policies. Mayor Giuliani takes
credit for the continued decrease in crime, claiming that it is a result of
these new police tactics. He never mentions that, according to NYPD statistics,
the number of violent crimes dropped about as much during Mayor Dinkins’
four-year term as his own. He never points out that the number of violent
crimes is plummeting in cities all across the nation, many without the benefit
of police as brutal as New York’s. He never suggests that the present attitude
and actions of the police could lead to more violence, not less.

As laws become even more draconian and police even more powerful, the “us
versus them” mentality is growing throughout many police forces, courts,
prisons, and the general public. Instead of providing possible solutions like
improving education or creating jobs, the emphasis in many cities is mass
incarceration. The public seems to be caught up in a destructive theory of
punishment and vengeance, that anyone who breaks a law deserves the worst and
longest incarceration possible, if not death.

According to the American Friends Service Committee, at a time when violent
crimes are dropping around the country, the number of Americans in jail or
prison increases at the rate of 2,000 per week. Across the nation, but
especially in Massachusetts, already insufficient education, job training,
substance abuse, and other rehabilitative programs in prisons are being
drastically cut. Most new prisons are now designed for isolation and sensory
deprivation. In some, there is little or no human contact and inmates are only
out of their cells for one hour every other day to walk up and down a narrow
cage. The majority of these prisoners will be released to return to their
communities lacking an education, skills, and options; instead they will be
increasingly bitter and violent. From beginning to end the nation’s
discriminatory “justice” system is making its citizens not safer but more at
risk. This violent attack on the indigent people in the inner cities – and not
the systems of inequality that created the crime – are not only unbelievably
unwise but also terribly unjust.

Conscience & Responsibility
Last summer, I joined other Harvard students working in public defender’s
offices in New York and Washington, D.C. To speak with both the victims and the
perpetrators of crime was heart wrenching. All summer I was frustrated, for the
system seemed aimed not at justice, but at vengeance and control. I often felt
that no matter how many witnesses I found, how much evidence was produced, the
truth would not come out. And once someone was convicted, innocent or guilty, I
was even more distressed, because I felt, in the words of the New Mexico
Attorney General’s report on its prisons, “Prisons simply do not deal with the
basic problems of crime in our society. Prison is a dehumanizing experience,
and most persons come out the worse for being in.”

Mentioning these issues on campus can be frustrating too, as some students are
so eager to continue in their privileged oblivion that they either deny their
truth or their relevance. As a member of the Harvard student group UNITE, I
have found others concerned and knowledgeable about the issue. Some of us have
gone to the meetings held at the American Friends Service Committee office near
Porter square for former inmates, inmates families, and others to share
information and plan activism around criminal justice issues. Among other
things, activists there are planning rallies around upcoming prison legislation
and a march on the Walpole prison protesting the uninvestigated deaths. My
experiences this summer convicted me that no one should stand idly by while the
government abuses the human rights of individuals, singling out especially
those in immigrant, minority, and indigent communities. As Abner Louima told
the New York Times from his hospital bed, “Its intolerable. I think everyone
should be an advocate against police brutality.”

A496612321

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
MOS Message Board
This message board is subject to the terms found in the
information area on the main menu.
<Picture>  Click on the radio to monitor the SOD Citywide Radio Frequency
A Pentium PC, 14.4 modem, and RealAudio Player are required

New email address : nyp...@webcom.com

ProudPD WAS7444 -- 10/31/98
An additional comment. I don't know if the situation has changed or not, but if
you live outside the 5 boroughs, you will probably have to apply for a pistol
permit in the country that you reside in. If the same situation exists as when
I retired, that license is not good in NYC. The NYC pistol permit is absolutely
free. For crying out loud, get the damn thing. It takes about 30 minutes.
Because (again, assuming things haven't changed), if you're out for over a year
and you suddenly decide you're taking a job in the city, when you go to apply
for the New York permit, you will be treated just like Joe Schmuck coming in
off the street and it could take almost 6 months to get it. Don't be a schmuck
- take the license.
ProudPD WAS7444 -- 10/31/98
As to retirement, I have always maintained and stressed thta in my opinion, the
Department and the various Line Organizations, are negligent in not preparing
MOS for retirement. It is an entrely different world and many, if not most,
have a great deal of difficulty getting accustomed to it. I recommend to
friends that unless they're still rolling in dog crap at the corner of Nostrand
and Fulton, they should stay right where they are until they have 30 years on
the job and then they won't ever have to work a day the rest of their lives.
It's hard to imagine what those "1/60ths" add to your pension. Usually the wake
up call for retirees comes with applying for jobs in the security field. Unless
you have been a supervisor or have a very special talent that is needed (stock
fraud, credit card crimes, etc), you should expect a salary around 25-30,000
tops! Sgt's and Lt's can expect 5-10,000 above that, maybe. Remember that
you're going to be working for one of two types of individuals: the young
snot-nose with an MBA who remembers every time he got kicked in the ass by a
cop and figures now that he oversee security in whatever corporation your're
in, it's time for revenge. Practice saying: Yes Sir, I'll run and get another
suger for your coffee, sir." The other type you're going to run into is the
retired chief. You can't tell them any war stories and you can't get away with
b-s-ing about your great personal knowledge because he knows what it's about.
Now I'm sure that there are a few guys out there who are going to tell me that
they're pulling down 50-60,000 a year. Well, there might be a handful in that
situation. It's more likely that they're full of it and afraid to admit it.
Yes, there are some lucky retirees out there and I count myself as one of them.
In fact I know of a retired PO (not a supervisor, no special talent, etc) who
is earning 75,000!! However, for every guy like him or I (I'm doing better than
I expected, but I was very lucky) I'll show you a hundred guys who are
basically renting their guns for 10.00 an hour or less. Maybe they get 2 weeks
vacation which is usually taken when the company says so, not when it's
convenient for you and your family. There is absolutely no such thing as an "E
Day". You either come to work or you're gone and one of the thousands of other
gun bearers steps in to take your place. I strongly urge those who are
contemplating retirement and who will be entering the security field to learn
about computers, access and CCTV systems and definately get your Fire Safety
Director license. I'm open to any comments. Be safe.
ProudPD WAS7444 -- 10/31/98
To Henry - Happy & Retired: As I said in my message, you could be right about
who's watching the boards. It just seems to me that noone has ever been able to
keep a secret. I would think that it is even more difficult today due to the
mandated assignments of personnel to IAB. Obviously, they are inducting many
who want nothing to do with it. I would think that individuals like that would
spread the word when they can. Hard to believe that there is a gruop of POs out
there who don't talk about what they're doing.
Henry, retired and happy MrHe...@aol.com -- 10/31/98

Proud, I wasn't talking about the reguoar units surfing from porno or other
things of this nature. I was talking of units that aren't publicized. I
remember during the Knapp commision (70s) we counted 7 units doing the
investigation and there werre other units we couldn't readily identify. The
main point is the people surfing for our comments were on the clock and using
dept. computers. Firefighters fund. As I remember years back the insurance
underwriters companies were funding their pension fund and it was stoped. That
was one of the reason they had to contribute to the fund. I think it was back
in the 70s that this occured. Your point about active MOS thinking about
retirement is very true. Everyone should retire some day.
Steph smb...@aol.com -- 10/31/98
I have not found any comments offending to myself, quit to the contrary. As a
FMOS I'm very happy to read most posts and find that both genders are
acknowledge when refering to fellow officers. From the first day I went to the
Academy to take the Physical Agility part of the Exam I was very impressed with
my acceptance by fellow candidates. But that's not to say there are no problems
out there,or that I haven't had any. Its just better than I thought it would
be. The PBA has a resolution on the floor to change the name from Patrolmen's
Benevolent Association to Police Benevolent Association. There hasn't been a
Ptl since 1973 when we all became POs. That's 25 years ago. How many men are
out there that were ever Ptls. NCPD changed their name when they changed their
rank title. Our PBA has resisted until recently stating it was a historical
title. Please let your delegates know it is history let there be a new name to
reflect our current department. Please ask your delegates to vote for the
change. Thanks.
ProudPD WAS7444 -- 10/31/98
Final comment before signing off. If there are any veterans out there or even
individuals interested in history, there is a VietNam Veterans Website. In
addition that are dozens of links off that site that are terrific and
interesting. It can be accessed at: www.vvmf.org. In addition, there is still
time to purchase the United States Commemorative Silver Dollar in honor of the
Law Enforcement Memorial. If you want addtional information on the coin, which
is really attractive (get the insignia set with the coin, lapel pin, and
special patch. Access "www.usmint.gov" for further details.
ProudPD WAS7444 -- 10/31/98
Further on the comment concerning the lack of concern by Line Organizations. At
one time retired sergeants were allowed to attend the monthly SBA meetings.
Then, one of them, supported by a few others, by the name of Harold Kamien
started asking questions concerning our benefits and what was going on with our
dues. Well, I guess the questions got to be embarassing to the elite Board.
What did they do? Very simple. The President appointed a couple of followers to
serve on a Constitution Revision Committee. About the only thing they revised
was to prohibit retirees from attending the meeting. Phil Giardina is the
retiree representative, but the question that arises is who does he owe his
loyalty to; the retirees in general or the union leadership that provided him
with the job to begin with? Again, we are totally powerless to change anything.
Personally I felt that the whole issue of changing the Constitution just to
keep out members who were asking embarassing, but very pertinent, questions
teetered on the brink of cowardice. It's bad enought getting used to being
outside the department in general terms, it's even more devastating when the
entity you pay dues to for benefits doesn't even acknowledge your contribution.

ProudPD WAS7444 -- 10/31/98
To Ret/Det: Excellent, excellent questions. Unfortunately I don't have the
answers, but I am going to try to find out why that situation exists. I have a
friend in the Pension Section and also a friend who used to be a pension
benefits examiner for the FD. I remember when their fund went bankrupt - don't
seem to recall anyone getting indicted or investigated as to how it happened.
Your statement concerning the 1/60th was news to me so I learned something
today. I have a feeling that the answer lies simply in contract negotiations.
Also, I am unaware as to whether the FD gets the Defined Benefit and whether or
not it is at the same level as ours. Anybody out there know the answer? To
those of you who may feel that all this talk about retirement benefits is a
waster of time - that time you refer to will come quicker than you think. Once
you're off the job, nobody wants to know you. I always say that when you retire
they have you sign a million forms but they always forget to give you the most
important one - a UF 95 toetag because as far as the Department and the Line
Organizations are concerned - you're dead.
Det/Ret Pet...@aol.com -- 10/31/98
PROUD PD: You seem to be more conversant than I on pension matters. Question:
How is it that for the lions share of our careers we as cops contributed about
5% per check into our pension systems while the FD contributed 0. Their fund
went bellyup while ours enjoyed prosperity. Then they were required to
contribute as well. In a short period of time it became a healthy fund. And
they get the VSP. Also, how is it that if a fireman retires one day after his
appointment anniversary he gets the 1/60 for the entire year while we get only
a prorata portion of that year? Mind you, I am only asking these questions with
the limited knowledge I have on the subject.
Subj: Extreme Auxiliaries
From: NYP2411
Hello all, sorry to intrude on your page but, I feel I must just this one time.
I started my "LEO" career as an Auxiliary in Brooklyn South, from there I
decided to take the plunge and do it for real. I am now a Park Police Officer
and its great. You guys have helped us out few times with events and other ops
(I won't mention which ones, or where, because you aren't supposed to be doing
them) just with a uniform presence. You guys do a lot of good but (always a
but) there are also those few who take it to the extreme. And this is directed
toward the "Extremes", one thing that has bothered me is when, on a few
occasions I have had to do a car stop with an Aux. behind the wheel. I usually
get tinned with the "Hey, I'm on the job!" line. I hate to break the news to
you, but you're not. If I may refer you to NYS PL 190.26 CRIMINAL
IMPERSONATION in the FIRST DEGREE is a Class E FELONY. I have on one or two
occassions removed the shield and ID from the Aux and returned it to his/her
coordinator rather than arrest them. Think about what you say. I have always
tried to do the right thing for any Auxiliary, and will continue to do so in
the future. I am only saying this to try to persuade those "extremes" to be
careful. Not everyone likes the police. You may tin the wrong person, or rush
into something with your shield around your neck, and get seriously hurt or
even, god forbid, killed. Also, to all, as an Auxilliary, just like anyone
else including MOS, you are not above the law. It applies to US more so than
anyone else. We set the example. In closing, I know you all are probably
going to bash this so have fun. I won't be back on your page to answer, so
STAY SAFE!
Subj: Re:Extreme Auxiliaries
From: HMarti7666
NYP2411 I would like to start by saying its nice that you moved up in your
career as a NYS Parks Police Officer, and that you have not forgotten where you
came for, just as some of us have when they become regular Police Officers, its
even great that there is someone like yourself out there that will do the right
thing for an Auxiliary MOS. But I must in form you that The Turk182 is correct
in saying that using the term "I'm on the job" dosn't mean Police Officer, if
that is true then you would have to arrest every Correction Officer, Court
Officer, Customs Officer, FireFighter and any other agency that uses that term.
from what I know when a Police Officer pull a car over and the operator states
he on the the job, the Police Officer would then ask for which jod and ID to
follow. But I do have to agree that the term "I'm on the job" shouldn't be
used by Auxiliary MOS's because it can be misinterpit just as you did, and I
instruck all of my Officers not to use that term at all When an Auxiliary MOS's
must ID his/her self, and are asked are you on the job the responce should be
"I'm an off-duty Auxiliary Police Officer"or what ever rank you hold, with that
there is no problems. Remember when one impersonates, that person has to say
"I'm a Police Officer" when they ID themself's, And most important, I would
like to point out to you that no Police Officer has the right to pull anybodys
shield, if a shield is removed from an Auxiliary Police Officer you better be
arresting them, because that's the only time a Police Officer can remove a
shield, and a Police boss must be notified, you see Auxiliary MOS's have rights
too, and when a shield is removed charges MUST follow, and a Boss must be
making the charges. Only when arresting an APO you can remove and safeguard the
shield for vouching, otherwise if you have a problem with an APO you have to
notifiy a high ranking Auxiliary Police boss or Auxiliary Police Coordinator or
Regular NYPD Boss, and they will take the actions that needs to be taken, if in
fact the APO was unbecomming, just like you can't take a shield from a regular
Police Officer you can take an APO's shield, so becareful of the actions you
take on a APO, because one day an APO is going to have you charged with Robbery
and posession of stolen proporty, and that APO will file the biggest law suit
on you. So becareful follow chain of command and don't get yourself jamed up,
because no one is above the law. Be Safe........

A496612321

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
MOS Message Board
This message board is subject to the terms found in the
information area on the main menu.

<Picture>  Click on the radio to monitor the SOD Citywide Radio Frequency
A Pentium PC, 14.4 modem, and RealAudio Player are required

New email address : nyp...@webcom.com

Det. Lucky MTS Ret Detc...@aol.com -- 10/31/98

Hey Proud, thanks for the information. Its seems each contract the retirees
lose a little more of our benefits. This is caused by the lack of
representation by the line organizations. Regarding retiremnet.....I remember
an oldtimer saying "When you're in the Job you're a Guest. When you're out of
the Job, you're a Pest." stay safe, Its a jungle out there

ProudPD WAS7444 -- 10/31/98

More on retirement. One of the secrets of my success (if you want to call it
that) is the fact that although I am not an expert in every aspect of security,
I know people who are. That could mean everything. For example, I don't know
anything about bombs, but I do know a former member of the Bomb Squad who I can
call on whenever I need information or assistance. I have friends in every
conceivable area of security. How did I gain this list of experts? Well, for
one thing, I moved around while I was on the job. I also belonged to a few
police organizations and I attended their meetings, made contacts, new friends,
etc. That's how I got my present position, from a friend I made at a fraternal
organization meeting, who heard from a relative that the position was being
created and they were looking for someone. Also, I can tell you that being a
veteran is a major asset. I realize that most of the department today is not
veterans and eventually that will not be a consideration, but having been in
the service and having served in VietNam was definitely noted during my initial
interview. If you are getting a supervisory position, make sure that one of the
first things you do is make friends with the local precinct. The first week I
was at the position, I walked into the local precinct and introduced myself to
the Crime Prevention and Community Affairs Officers. I immediatley joined a
police-private security council they operated and volunteered to help with
their administrative work. I found out who had the sector and took them all out
to lunch over the following month. I learned what they knew and thought of my
company. Every time they helped out in any way, I sent a letter to the P.C.
praising them. The letter was signed by the President of the Corporation. There
is a dark side to this also unfortunately. There are going to be active POs who
couldn't care less that you're a retired member. They still treat you with the
same disdain that they offer to private citizens and they'll insult your
intelligence when they tell you why they can't do exactly what you know they
can. For example, I had a minor theft in the office. I had previously obtained
a pad of scratch 61's from my friends at the Pct., so I sat down and made it
out. When I went into the Pct, neither of my buddies were there so I had the
124 room girl prepare the report. The first thing the civilian clerk did was
question me as to where I had gotten the scratch 61. She acted as if I had
committed a burglary in Hq or something. She even went so far as to call over
another officer (female - no gun - modified) who continued to bust my chops and
stated that I was not allowed to have such an item. I told them both that I was
a retired Sgt and that I demanded that they inform me of exactly what law I had
broken. Is it possible I was guilty of Criminal Possession of a Blank PD Form?
The situation started to get out of hand when the Desk Officer approached and
wanted to know what was going on. I informed him of who I was and what I had
done. To his credit, he asked the two morons what the problem was and they
should appreciate the fact that I had gone to the trouble of preparing the
form. Of course, the clerk was throwing daggers at me the whole time she typed
the report but I just sat there with a smirk on my face. The next day I told
the C/A detective about it and he went directly over to her and informed her
that I was a valuable asset to their program and they had given me the pad and
that she should be glad I did what I did. Moral of the story: don't think being
retired will always get you something. A great tribute to your professionalism
is to initiate lunch-time seminars. The most popular is the Domestic Violence
talk. Every precinct has a DV officer who will be glad to speak to your group.
Credit Card Fraud is another favorite. I run a talk about every 2-3 months and
the employees (all 210) of them love it. The company appreciates the fact that
they are coming across as concerned employers. Cripes, am I babbling too much.
Sorry, but it is well intentioned. Be Safe.

ProudPD WAS7444 -- 10/31/98

Okay, now I got myself all worked up about retirement advice. The reason I get
upset is because I see the greatest and most knowledgeable and professional
cops in the world practically grovelling for work. I don't know which is worse
- the fact that private corporation pay cops crap or the fact that cops accept
it. Let me say that if you want to be viewed as a professional, you must
present that image. when you go for an interview, wear a suit (that fits), have
a professional person prepare you're resume; don't claim knowledge you don't
have. Those that do the hiring have a range of idisyncracies. For me, when I
interview someone for a position, the first thing I look at are his shoes. If
he doesn't have a shine, he's already down 10 points. Don't be afraid to ask
questions back at the interviewer. You may impress him that you are an
aggressive individual capable of taking the situation by the horns. Also, don't
be afraid to ask them to up your salary. For example, and I like this one the
best, if you intend to keep your city health coverage, wait until they tell you
the salary. Then advise them that you will not be using their health coverage
and request that they up the offer another $250 per month. It costs most
corporations about 400-450 per employee to cover them with medical insurance.
You'll be surprised how many interviewers will agree. Let them know that if
they don't think they can do it, you'll be happy to jump on their coverage.
Aslo, make sure you know what they mean when they outline the benefits. For
instance, when they say that you get 1 week vacation the 1st year, does that
mean you have to work a full year and THEN you get the vacation? Remember this,
if a corporation hires a Pinkerton guard who'se greatest claim to fame is that
he stayed sober the previous weekend, they still pay the company $12 - $15 per
hour for the use of this scarecrow. You shoudl be worth more than that, MOST
ESPECIALLY is they want your gun. If they do, get them to give you an
indemnification statement in writing. Make sure you get your NY Security
license. Retired cops are the easiest targets in the world for the unit that
investigates non-compliance. There are other things to consider. I've often
thought about opening a "retirement preparation" school to help retiress
determine whether they really want to retire or not. If I think of anything
else, I'll let you know. Be safe

A496612321

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
Subj: Aux Officer Down
Date: 11/1/98 11:09:24 Eastern Standard Time
From: Narco 30
To all that responed to my 85, I would like to thank you all again . I would
like to thank to A.P.S.U . unit of the 122 for being the first on the sceen
and rushing me to the hosipital . also the partol unit in Ap 71 and the A/Di
of Highway patrol . This all Happened because of young kid's who have no
supervision anymore, and no respect for the police or adult's as these 5
teen's peged a four year old in the head with a egg . as we saw the whole thing
happen we chased the teen's in to a parking lot where the was a big divider in
this parking lot that i did not see a did a a 360 head first on my patrol bike
. I am a lucky person today .
Once Again .I would like to Thank The,
122 Aux Patrol Unit
122 A.P.S.U Unit
A/Di of Highway Patrol
Also
PBSI Chief of Partol
PBSI Inspector
and 122 Dep. Inspector
For taking the time out of the work to visit me at the hosipital
Thank you all again .

MOS Message Board
This message board is subject to the terms found in the
information area on the main menu.
Click on the radio to monitor the SOD Citywide Radio Frequency
A Pentium PC, 14.4 modem, and RealAudio Player are required
New email address : nyp...@webcom.com
ProudPD WAS7444 -- 11/01/98
HOT FLASH - the following is up to date info re: this incident (don't even
think about asking me how I know). The incident involved 2, not 4, mos. They
were both from Highway and they accidentally bumped bikes and both went down.
There are due to be treated and released as we "speak". It was feared that one
officer had broken his leg, but thankfully not. Be Safe
Cruz FYI -- 11/01/98
4 MOS were hurt in an accident on the Gowanus this morning and taken to
Bellevue.

A496612321

Nov 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/2/98
Cop's Threats Made
After he got out of the hospital last year, Abner Louima purchased a gun to
protect himself from the cop accused of sodomizing him with a stick, his lawyer
said yesterday.
"He went out and purchased a gun in response to the threats that Police Officer
Justin Volpe made to him," said attorney Peter Neufeld.
Volpe is charged with assaulting Louima on Aug. 9, 1997, in a bathroom at the
70th Precinct stationhouse in Brooklyn and threatening to kill Louima and his
family if he reported the attack.
"As an exercise of extreme caution for himself, his wife and his two small
children, he purchased a gun so in the event one of these officers or their
friends decided to pay a visit in the middle of the night, he would have some
degree of protection," Neufeld said.
Louima, released from the hospital Oct. 10, 1997, also was given police
protection.
Neufeld said Louima had applied for a gun permit before the alleged attack,
while working as a security guard, because armed guards earn more money.
Neufeld said Louima doesn't plan to go back to security work.
Louima applied for the permit on Sept. 30, 1996, and it was approved on Oct.
10, 1997, according to police spokeswoman Marilyn Mode.
Four cops are charged with brutalizing Louima after a melee outside a Flatbush
nightclub. A fifth is charged with taking part in a coverup.
The gun issue arose yesterday after defense lawyers said in court papers that
Louima was getting special treatment by law enforcement that could induce him
to give false testimony.
Mode denied the gun-permit approval was in any way influenced by the alleged
attack.
In another development, Sgt. Michael Bellomo accused FBI agents of using
protected statements he made to the Internal Affairs Bureau to charge him in a
federal indictment as an accessory after the fact.
Bellomo said he believes FBI agents read his Aug. 13, 1997, statements to
Internal Affairs, based on the questions he was asked in an Oct. 30, 1997, FBI
interview.
He later was charged with lying to the FBI to cover up a beating of Louima.
His lawyer said because the statements are tainted, the indictment should be
dismissed.
Wheelchair Athletes Were Stopped to Allow Lead Foot Racers to Pass
NEW YORK -- A controversy broke out involving top wheelchair athletes at the
New York City Marathon Sunday when all but the first two of the wheelchair
racers, who started 10 minutes in front of everyone else, were stopped by
police at the 15-mile mark for up to 35 minutes to allow the lead packs of men
and women -- and the 30 trucks, motorcycles and police vehicles accompanying
them -- to cross the Queensboro Bridge first.
"It was a slap in the face, an insult," said Tom Gorman of Littlestown, Pa.,
who finished fourth among the wheelchair racers. "The last thing I want to do
is complain, but we were so far ahead of the runners there was no need to stop
us." Gorman, 42, was competing in his third New York marathon "and probably my
last."
Allen Steinfeld, president of the New York Road Runners Club, said the halt
was a safety measure because this year there is no longer an outer roadway on
the bridge for the wheelchairs and others to use. In the past, he said, both
the outer roadway and the lower roadway were used.
In addition, a Road Runners statement noted that New York City Marathon's
policy was to stop wheelchairs "to let elite runners through, because this race
does not have an official wheelchair division." But Steinfeld emphasized that
vehicles, not people, were the problem.
"The runners can run single-file," he said, but the news media and police
vehicles take up a lot of room.
Richard Traum, president of the Achilles Track Club, the international
organization devoted to marathoners with disabilities, said he was aware of the
plan to halt the wheelchairs. But apparently word never reached the racers.
Traum, who is a board member of both clubs, said he thought the Achilles and
Road Runners clubs needed to talk about the matter. "Elite wheelchair racers
running with runners on foot is dangerous," he said.
On sharp turns such as the one at the Manhattan end of the Queensboro Bridge,
wheelchairs could conceivably knock down elite runners. On the other hand,
elite wheelchair racers have criticized the Road Runners Club in the past for
treating them as second-class entrants. Traum acknowledged that the two clubs
have had a contentious relationship.
During the 1995 marathon, high winds blew away plywood that had been laid on
the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge to make the bridge surface smoother for the
wheelchairs, forcing the race organizers to bus the wheelchair racers to the
Brooklyn side of the bridge.
About 200 wheelchair athletes entered Sunday's event. Because the fastest
wheelchair racers can barrel downhill on the course at speeds of up to 60 miles
per hour, some usually finish the race with times better than the official
winner of the foot race. Gorman, for example, said that after subtracting his
35-minute, police-enforced wait, his finishing time was 2 hours 2 minutes. John
Kagwe, the men's winner, finished the race in 2:08:45.
Dana Jackson of Washington, D.C., another wheelchair racer forced to halt as
he approached the Queensboro Bridge, said the elite foot runners were not yet
in sight when the wheelchairs were ordered to stop. Jackson, 41 years old, who
works for the Department of Justice, called it "one of the worst cases of
discrimination I've seen."
Steinfeld responded to the wheelchair racers' complaints by saying,
"Communications is always a problem."
New York Police Lag in Fighting Domestic Violence by Officers
By DAVID KOCIENIEWSKI and KEVIN FLYNN
NEW YORK -- In the fall of 1995, Officer Anthony Nieves was accused of two
offenses that could hardly have been more different.
Already a suspect in the murder of one girlfriend, he was arrested for
harassing another. Then he was caught, while off duty, sprinting onto the field
at Yankee Stadium to high-five a player.
Yet when police officials considered the incidents, they imposed punishments
that could hardly have been more similar.
His antics at the stadium earned him a 30-day suspension.
Harassing his girlfriend earned him a 29-day suspension.
The way the Nieves case was handled is not unusual for the New York City
Police Department, which critics say has long been complacent in its approach
to domestic abuse complaints against its officers -- complaints that are rising
sharply.
A review of department records shows that officers found guilty of domestic
abuse in administrative proceedings are rarely fired, and that some are
punished with suspensions of just 15 days -- the same penalty given to officers
caught sleeping on the job or taking an unjustified sick day.
Law enforcement and domestic violence experts say the department, despite its
size and a climbing number of abuse complaints, is far less aggressive in
detecting and punishing domestic abusers on the force than are departments in
other large cities.
Already this year, the Police Department has received 821 complaints of
domestic abuse by officers, from threats to actual assaults, a 40 percent
increase over the total for last year. In the last three years, more than 120
officers have been arrested on charges relating to domestic violence.
In one high-profile case, Officer Patrick Fitzgerald, a patrolman in the 34th
Precinct, shot and killed himself, his wife and their two children in September
at the family's home in Orange County. Relatives of Fitzgerald's wife, Leeanne,
said afterward that she had called the 34th Precinct station house several
times to complain that he was abusing her, but that the calls were not taken
seriously. Police officials have said they cannot find any record of such
calls.
"There is a culture in the Police Department that just doesn't want to admit
how serious this problem is," said Dr. Eleanor Pamm, a domestic violence expert
at John Jay College of Criminal Justice and a member of the Mayor's Task Force
on Domestic Violence. "And until they get serious about it, the situation isn't
going to get any better. People are going to continue to suffer."
Domestic violence experts say that when police officers, with their ready
access to guns, are involved in household disputes, arguments that would
otherwise end in bruises or wounded feelings can quickly escalate into
bloodshed. Over the last three years in New York, domestic incidents involving
officers have claimed 10 lives by murder or suicide. Three more spouses died
under suspicious circumstances, according to investigators.
New York police officials say they are vigilant in rooting out abusive
officers and punishing colleagues who try to protect them. But abuse by
officers, both on and off duty, is difficult to combat, experts said. A feeling
of futility often prevents victims from reporting abuse, and a code of silence
among officers frequently makes them reluctant to turn in their peers.
Except in the most serious crimes, prosecutors generally leave the punishment
of officers up to the department's internal disciplinary system. But records
show that the department rarely punishes officers severely, even when the
accusations involve domestic violence.
Police departments in other large cities have made greater strides in
addressing domestic abuse among officers, according to domestic violence
experts.
In Baltimore, officials set up an elaborate network in 1997 to monitor
complaints against officers who lived in outlying suburbs. In Los Angeles,
officials created a five-member investigative team last year devoted solely to
accusations of battering by officers. In Chicago, the department hired
full-time counselors in 1994 to help victims of police domestic abuse follow
through on their complaints.
New York City has adopted none of these strategies.
Patrick Kelleher, the first deputy police commissioner in New York, said
that, given the size of the 40,000-member force, he would describe the abuse
problem as "relatively small, but very serious."
In the last three years, according to police statistics, the department has
suspended 162 officers without pay for domestic violence, and fired 13. Since a
1995 domestic dispute in which a police officer was killed, the department has
required that a captain respond at the scene to every abuse complaint against
an officer. Kelleher said the department is installing new policies, including
a pilot program, tried once earlier this year, in which officers with a history
of domestic violence attend an eight-week course in stress reduction and
conflict resolution.
"I'm really not familiar with what's happening in other cities, like
Chicago," Kelleher said, "But I do know we are light-years ahead of where we
were a few years ago."
But Donald Sheehan of the FBI, a special agent coordinating the bureau's
effort to reduce family violence by officers, said: "New York hasn't been able
to get a grip on the problem. What it takes is a commitment from the highest
level of the department, and we just haven't seen that yet."

THE POLICE RESPONSE: A Plea for Help Is Heeded Too Late
Bliss Verdon thought the Police Department could help her when her former
boyfriend, a transit police officer, began harassing her in May 1997.
When Ms. Verdon, a 25-year-old social worker, reported that Officer Rodney
Dilbert had left an angry and abusive diatribe on her answering machine, a
sergeant went to her home in Queens to investigate. While he was there, Dilbert
called and the sergeant took the telephone, saying he would handle the matter
"cop to cop," according to a police report. He scolded Dilbert, but filed no
official report with the Internal Affairs Bureau.
Three weeks later Dilbert was back. He trailed Ms. Verdon on the subway,
shoved her into a parked car and tried to force his way into the office
building where she worked, according to police records. Frightened, she went to
the 115th Precinct station house near her home to file a complaint. But police
commanders who would speak only on the condition of anonymity said precinct
supervisors were delayed in investigating the complaint because they were busy
handling another matter -- the political fallout from having given a state
senator a traffic summons.
Two days later, officials decided Dilbert was not an imminent threat and took
no action.
Although Ms. Verdon called the station again, it was not until June 10 that
her complaint was assigned to transit investigators. By then it was too late.
That evening, Dilbert killed Ms. Verdon, shooting her eight times with his
service pistol while she used a phone booth near her home, then killed himself.

Police Commissioner Howard Safir fired one of the six supervisors involved in
the Verdon case and forced another to retire, but he said the tragedy was
caused by a failure of "individuals, not the system." Ms. Verdon's mother,
Jo-Ann Cote, still blames the department.
"My daughter didn't have to die," Ms. Cote said. "She did everything she
could do to make them aware of this man threatening her, this man who had their
gun. The Police Department just didn't want to deal with it."
Ms. Verdon's case is an example of why domestic violence experts say the
spouses of abusive police officers are especially vulnerable. Officers are
often reluctant to turn in their colleagues. And some abusive officers use
their connections inside the criminal justice system to block their victims'
appeals for help. Some women are so sure the law enforcement system is stacked
against them that they will not report the crime, the experts said.
"These women are really all alone out there," said Maria Guarracino, of the
Archdiocese of New York, who counsels victims of police spousal abuse. "There
are just so few places for them to turn."
It took two complaints of domestic abuse against Michael Ferrante, a Bronx
narcotics detective, to get the department to take serious action.
Ferrante was accused of hitting his estranged wife, Lisa, during an encounter
in Yonkers in 1994, according to the police. But his wife declined to press
charges, and he was not arrested. The Police Department did open an
administrative case against him, but found the allegations of abuse
"unsubstantiated," even though Mrs. Ferrante had been treated at a hospital for
facial injuries. Within three months, Ferrante was back on full duty.
After that incident, the detective began threatening his girlfriend, Carol
Nanna, 30, according to her family. But Ms. Nanna said she never called the
police to report the threats. "I was always afraid to because he was a cop, and
I always felt they stuck together," she said.
In May of this year, Ms. Nanna finally moved out of their home in Yonkers
after Ferrante threatened her with his gun, she said. She reported the threat
to the police, and Ferrante was stripped of his gun the next day.
Six days later, as Ms. Nanna sat in her car at an intersection, Ferrante
attacked her with a knife, according to police, slashing her face, puncturing
her lung and nearly severing her left arm, injuries from which she has yet to
fully recover.
Ferrante is awaiting trial on a charge of attempted murder. His lawyer, Paul
Goldberger, declined to comment.
Ms. Nanna's family said the Police Department had taken too long to act
against Ferrante.
"If you threaten anybody, you should not be a police officer," said Susan
Milo, Ms. Nanna's mother. "As far as I am concerned, they are not doing enough,
because they are not monitoring these situations."

A COMPARISON: Other Cities Use Stiffer Penalties
S ome experts contend that police work, with its emphasis on giving orders
and establishing control, attracts many men with a propensity for domestic
violence. Although police officials generally reject that view, almost all
large police departments have taken steps to address the problem -- some more
aggressively than others.
In 1996, a new federal law required police departments to take guns away from
officers who had been convicted of domestic abuse. When New York reviewed the
personnel history of its police force that year, it found that 88 officers had
criminal records for domestic abuse. But the department could not move against
them because their cases had been dismissed under probation programs and erased
from the court records.
Some police departments decided to place officers with histories of abuse in
special monitoring programs. Others studied psychiatric tests the officers took
as candidates to devise new screening questions to weed out other abusive
candidates. New York did not follow up on the 88 officers with a history of
family violence, said Kelleher, the first deputy commissioner.
In several cities, officials said they viewed abusive officers as threats to
more than just their spouses.
"This officer is carrying our weapon and he is supposed to be serving the
citizens," said Col. Margaret Patten of the Baltimore police. "That may sound
lofty, but do we want a criminal being responsible for upholding the law?"
Under Baltimore's "zero tolerance" policy, the department fires any officer
found to have been involved in domestic abuse. "We don't care if the victim
doesn't want to prosecute," Col. Patten said. "We have a responsibility to go
forward."
This year, Baltimore has received 49 complaints of domestic abuse by its
officers, and has fired nine. Meanwhile in New York, where the force and the
number of complaints are more than 10 times larger, officials have fired two.
In Chicago, the focus of the domestic violence program is less punitive.
Officials recognize that battered spouses are often financially dependent on
their abusers and unlikely to report violence if they feel doing so will cost
an officer his job. Jan Russell, one of the department's domestic violence
counselors, said abrupt firings can also make officers so desperate they only
grow more abusive.
Chicago police commanders try to recognize and curb potentially abusive
behavior long before it becomes criminal. Nonetheless, officials of the
13,500-member department, which received 319 domestic abuse complaints against
its officers last year, fired eight for domestic offenses. That same year, New
York, a department nearly three times as large, dismissed seven.
The New York police have tried to balance counseling efforts with punishments
calibrated to the offense.
Kelleher called the zero-tolerance approach "the easy way out" because it
relieves officials from the difficulties of weighing the merits of each case.
Although there are no guidelines for punishing officers, many defense lawyers
say that Safir has handed out stricter punishments than his predecessors.
"We try to do what is the best thing for everyone concerned," Kelleher said.
"For the officer, for the victim and for the department -- with the emphasis on
the victim."
But a review of police administrative hearings shows that officers found
guilty of domestic violence, or of failing to report their colleagues' abuse,
have not been severely punished.
In the Nieves case, the officer was punished no more severely for the abuse
complaint than for the ball park prank, even though his girlfriend said she had
been terrified when he scaled her fire escape and broke the window to her
apartment after a fight. When he was finally disciplined, police administrators
who made the decision were holding personnel records showing that he had been
placed on modified duty because he was a suspect in the murder of a previous
girlfriend.
Nieves, who was never charged in the murder, has since been returned to full
duty. Investigators who insisted on anonymity said that their inquiry has
stalled, but that Nieves remains a suspect. Both Nieves and his lawyer, Joseph
Librie, would not comment.
In a second case, two Brooklyn officers pleaded guilty last year to
administrative charges of helping a fellow officer cover up the shooting of his
wife. The officer whose wife was shot, Milton Calderon of the 72nd Precinct,
was fired by a judge who said she suspected he had been involved in the
shooting, which he had blamed on his 3-year-old daughter. But the two officers
who responded to the Calderon house were suspended for 30 days and placed on
probation for a year, even though the judge found they never reported the
shooting, enabling Calderon to destroy evidence.
Police records also show that since 1995, five officers who violated court
orders of protection were punished by suspensions of 20 or fewer days, the same
penalty imposed on officers who lose their identification cards. In other
cases, officers found guilty in departmental trials of beating their spouses
received 15-day suspensions.
Beyond disciplining officers, the Police Department offers free counseling
that Kelleher credits with improving, even saving, the lives of officers and
their family members. One of the largest programs is the Membership Assistance
Program that was set up by the department and the Patrolmen's Benevolent
Association in 1994 after a series of police suicides. It deploys 120 peer
counselors in the city's 76 precincts, and they evaluate troubled officers and
make about 400 referrals a year to outside therapists.
But many police officers spurn such counseling, fearing they will be
stigmatized or disciplined if they acknowledge having a personal problem. One
former officer, Ronald Marchetta, has sued the department, asserting that when
he came to the department for help in his troubled marriage, a police
psychiatrist breached the confidentiality of his therapy and provided the
department with information that was used to force him into retirement.
The department said that it plans to expand its recent program offering
stress management training to abusers, and that it may work with suburban
police departments to insure that the city's department is informed of domestic
complaints against officers who live outside the city.

OPEN SECRETS: Signs of Trouble Go Unnoticed
A s more details have emerged about the case of Fitzgerald, who killed his
family and himself, it has become a lesson in how oblivious officers can be to
signs that a colleague's marriage is in desperate trouble -- signs that experts
say officers should be trained to notice.
Friends of Fitzgerald maintain that neither they, nor the department, had any
way of knowing that he would snap one day and kill his wife and children.
"No one could have foreseen this, never in a million years," said Officer
Peter Ciaccio, one of Fitzgerald's closest friends. "They were never that type.
I could never see that he would do this, because he loved those kids. And he
loved her, even with everything that was going on."
But the Fitzgeralds' stormy marriage was an open secret among officers in the
34th Precinct, according to police investigators.
Both the officer and his wife had received court orders of protection. Her
relatives say she called the precinct station to complain. State police were
called at least once to the family's house in Greenville.

A496612321

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98
Integrity Control Cop
In Ethics Probe

The lieutenant in charge of uncovering corruption is under investigation for
selling tickets to an unauthorized fund-raiser to benefit a cop indicted on
perjury charges, the Daily News has learned.
Lt. Lori Pollock, the integrity control officer at the 23rd Precinct in East
Harlem, sold at least 10 of the $10 tickets to cops in her command last month —
a move several police officials said showed extremely poor judgment.
The fund-raiser, held Sept. 3 at an upper Manhattan catering hall, raised money
for Officer Catherine Mylott, who was indicted for allegedly lying to a grand
jury when she denied she saw fellow narcotics cops beat a bystander during a
raid.
A police spokesman confirmed that party organizers did not obtain the required
authorization from the Internal Affairs Bureau, and said that the incident is
under investigation.
Pollock, 34, refused to comment on the probe.
Pollock's job is to monitor corruption hazards and overtime abuses in her
precinct.
A precinct source raised questions about Pollock's suitability for such a
sensitive position because her own name came up in connection with a corruption
scandal six years ago.
After thousands of counterfeit Chanel handbags seized by the Manhattan district
attorney's office were stolen by a crew of rogue cops, an informant told
investigators that the bags were stored in Pollock's apartment.
By the time a search warrant was executed, the handbags had been moved,
according to a law enforcement source.
Pollock admitted to a grand jury that some boxes had been stored briefly in her
apartment, but said she was unaware of their contents.
Her boss, Capt. Charles Rubin, declined to comment.
Last month, The News reported that Rubin had assigned a sergeant on probation
for sexually harassing a female cop to train rookies in the 23rd Precinct.
From: News and Views | Beyond the City |
Tuesday, November 03, 1998

Rudy Rounds Up Finest to Grace
Shilling Session for Sen. Al

We interrupt the political coverage with this brief bulletin. In the most
public sale of the New York City police badge since the gambler Frank Costello
was buying them by the precinct 50 years ago, a stage full of cops were
delivered as props for an Al D'Amato campaign appearance yesterday at Floyd
Bennett Field.
All present described a historic scene. On the stage were D'Amato, the mayor
and the police commissioner, a man named Howard Safir, for whom neither
judgment nor dignity appears to be strong suits.
"Howard went because he was told to," explained one city administration
official.
In front of him were five dozen cops in their good uniforms. Today, at 5,100
polling places in the city, police officers will be on hand for 16 hours to
keep the polls free of intimidation and fraud.
Yesterday, the police commissioner was out shilling for a candidate in the only
competitive race. "Sen. D'Amato delivered," said Safir during the press
conference, bleating the campaign slogan.
The youth of New York may not realize that, until the current mayor took power,
there was a long custom in this town of police commissioners keeping a safe
distance from political campaigns.
At a moment when David Dinkins might have been helped by having a white police
commissioner alongside him, and when Ed Koch wouldn't have been hurt by being
seen with a black commissioner, both managed some restraint.
"Dinkins didn't ask Ray Kelly, and Koch never asked Ben Ward," said one ranking
former police official.
The police were brought to a thinly disguised D'Amato campaign event yesterday,
at which the senator was thanked for helping the city get its hands on an
abandoned Coast Guard station.
The mayor, who has thrown a number of temper tantrums with aides lately, did
not break a sweat defending this photo opportunity.
"It seemed to me and the police commissioner that we should express our
appreciation to the senator. We actually wanted to schedule it much earlier
back in, I think in September, but the schedules didn't work out. Today was a
good opportunity to do it," he said.By incredible coincidence, they could not
finda single moment to do so until the day before the election.
It was, said the mayor, "a combination of the police commissioner, the Police
Department, the senator's schedule and mine, this was really the last
opportunity we could do it."
Really, the last opportunity in history.
Who could blame D'Amato for wanting the company of legitimate people? He is a
cheeseball, with absolutely no apologies. We will miss him if he goes. So will
Giuliani, much as he is loathed by D'Amato and George Pataki for treacheries
past.
Giuliani has leaped into bed with all the people he once claimed were so
corrupt they should be driven from office.Either they improved, he changed his
mind or opportunism is in the air.
In a few days, the Republican National Committee will announce its choice of a
convention site for 2000. The finalists appear to be Indianapolis, Philadelphia
and New York. Also in the running is San Antonio, Tex. New Orleans places a
distant fifth, apparently out of fear by the committee that the delegates would
step onto Bourbon St. and turn instantly into pillars of salt, then be rubbed
onto the rim of margarita glasses and never heard from again.
The mayor has been flying all over the country, not to promote his own personal
political profile, but to land the 2000 Republican convention for the New York
City that Giuliani personally saved.
Does he have a prayer if New York turns out to be the one state where the
Republicans lose a Senate seat? Thus his endorsement of D'Amato, whom he once
saw as a machine-bossed author of evil.
The one problem is that Giuliani has a record of endorsement that is more like
a list of assassinations: Cuomo and Castro in New York; Mosbacher in Houston;
Weld in Massachusetts; Molinari for Staten Island district attorney; Badillo
for controller; Polenetsky for public advocate; and McGovern in 1972. And that
is the short list.
There are two currently live candidates in California that he may have done in
by endorsing. He kisses the frog and it keels over, dead.
"That's called the Midas touch," said Gene Hayes, a private citizen visiting
New York from upstate. "He touches it, and it turns into a muffler."
From: News and Views | Crime File |
Saturday, October 31, 1998

Cop's Threats Made
Louima Get Gun: Lawyer

After he got out of the hospital last year, Abner Louima purchased a gun to
protect himself from the cop accused of sodomizing him with a stick, his lawyer
said yesterday."He went out and purchased a gun in response to the threats that
Police Officer Justin Volpe made to him," said attorney Peter Neufeld.
Volpe is charged with assaulting Louima on Aug. 9, 1997, in a bathroom at the
70th Precinct stationhouse in Brooklyn and threatening to kill Louima and his
family if he reported the attack.

Abner Louima

Slay Evidence Missed - Cop
veteran homicide detective testified yesterday that he overlooked a bullet when
he inspected the knapsack of a young man charged with the murder of Bronx high
school teacher Jonathan Levin.
The .22-caliber round, the same type that killed Levin, was found in the front
pocket of Corey Arthur's backpack by a police scientist on June 17, 1997, two
weeks after police recovered the knapsack from Levin's apartment. The pack was
found the same day Levin's body was discovered, June 3, 1997.
Arthur, 20, and Montoun Hart, 26, are charged with the murder of Levin, 31, an
English teacher at the Bronx' Taft High School.
Arthur is on trial in Manhattan's State Supreme Court. Hart will be tried in
January.
Last week, Mary Eng, the police scientist, testified that she found the unfired
bullet while examining the backpack for hair and fibers.
Detective John Taglione, a police officer for 29 years, testified that when he
picked up the backpack, he just glanced inside because he assumed that another
officer had searched it.
NYPD Homophobic?
Cops Sue for Anti-Gay Attacks
Two Police Officers have filed suit in State Supreme Court charging that fellow
Cops directed vicious pranks, violent assaults and unrelenting ridicule against
them because they believed they were gay.
They further charged that this conduct was aided and abetted by senior officers
and condoned by the Police Department itself.
The suit was filed by Police Ofricers Joseph Baratto and Steven Camacho, both
of whom were assigned to the 23rd Precinct in East Harlem. Colleen Meenan, one
of the two attorneys handling the suit, said that Officer Baratto, a 13-year
veteran of the force, is gay, while Officer Camacho, who became a cop in 1993,
is heterosexual.
Safir: Won't Tolerate Bias
Police Commissioner Howard Safir said that the department had not yet been
served with the suit and he could not comment on pending litigation. 'I don't
tolerate discrimination by race, gender, sexual preference or anything else,"
he added. "And when I become aware of it, I deal with it."
For Officer Baratto, the suit states, abuse at the hands of fellow cops began
in 1989, when he was assigned to the 23rd Precinct. He was forced into his
locker and locked in it four times, the court papers state. He also alleges
that cops forcibly handcuffed him and suspended him from a coat rack and on
another occasion assaulted him trying to force him to simulate oral sex with
another officer.
When Officer Camacho joined the precinct and was assigned as Officer Baratto's
partner, he also became a ridicule.
The hrassment, the suit charges. It states that signs were posted around the
precinct reading "Camacho is President of GOAL' and 'Vote for Camachomo." GOAL
is the acronym for the Gay Officers League, a fraternal organization
representing 700 gay and lesbian oflicers.
Officer Camacho was confronted with such a "hostile and degrading work
environment,' the suit states, that he felt compelled to stop working with
Officer Baratto.
Other signs were posted throughout the precinct earlier this year bearing
newspaper advertisements for a "Carlos" doll, an item marketed to gay males,
with the words "PO Camacho" handwritten on the ad. The signs were posted
prominently and in full view of any members of the public entering the
building, according to the court papers.
Cite Slur in Magazine
In June, this same theme was repeated in an OFFICIAL publication of the NYPD,
the "Spring 3100" magazine which goes out to 40,000 members of the department.
An article on the 23rd Precinct included the following statement: "Hang in
there Steph. Coming to a store near you ... the PO Carlo Camacho Doll. Good
luck finding one! PO 'Yo Cool' Baratto has bought the entire stock."
The suit charges that the statement was aimed at humiliating the officers by
implying that they were engaged in a sexual relationship. It further claims
that the article, written by a Police Officer, was approved by a senior officer
at the precinct, Lt. KatWeen Caravello.
Other senior officers either participated in or were aware of it and
took no action, the suit states. Capt. Charles Rubin, the Commanding Officer
at the 23rd Precinct, is charged in the suit with retaliating against the two
officers after they complained about the "Spring 3100" article to the NYPD's
Equal Employment Opportunity Officer.
Officer Camacho was subsequently given an involuntary transfer to the 10th
Precinct, while Officer Baratto suffered a nervous breakaown and was placed on
restricted duty.
The officers and their attorneys insist that anti-gay persecution is not a
matter of just a few cops or even one precinct.
"The NYPD maintains and condones a pattern and practice which promotes
homophobic attitudes and practices against individuals- who are perceived to be
and/or who are gay and lesbian members of the police force," the suit states.
'That policy and practice is countenanceai by the highest levels of management
of the NYPD."