Princess Lizzie Case Proves There Are Rich Dirtbags, Too

Ken (NY)

Jul 20, 2001, 6:44:49 PM7/20/01
Princess Lizzie Case Proves There Are Rich Dirtbags, Too

New York - 7/20/2001

While most of Lizzie Grubman's clients are staying mum about her
Hamptons car crash, nightlife impresario David Sarner says he has
severed ties with the embattled PR poobah.

Sarner, whose chic new Cabana restaurant at the Capri hotel in
Southampton was promoted by Grubman's firm, says the barrage of bad
publicity surrounding the crash has forced him to dump her.

"Yes, she was representing us before it happened, and no, she isn't
representing us any more," he told PAGE SIX.

"I firmly believe that the crash was an accident, and Lizzie is a
great publicist, but I don't need to take on anyone else's problems
right now. There's a lot of mudslinging going on and we're going to
step back and wait until everything calms down."

Meanwhile, Southampton officials who have long sought to buy
Conscience Point - the hotspot where Grubman struck 16 clubgoers with
her Mercedes SUV - are stymied because the club is tied up in a nasty
divorce case.

As The Post reported last week, Southampton town fathers have been
trying for months to buy the property from Klaus Kirstein so they can
shutter the noisy nightclub and turn the space into a public marina.

But Bernard Clair, the lawyer for Kirstein's estranged wife Maria,
tells The Post's Dareh Gregorian there's one problem - "the property
isn't his to sell."

Manhattan State Supreme Court Justice Joan Lobis placed a "notice of
pendency" on the property last April, after Klaus allegedly
"absconded" with $1.1 million he'd made from selling their West 56th
Street apartment, Clair said. The move came after both sides had
agreed the proceeds from the sale would go into an escrow account.

Klaus later returned the cash. But the restraining order will stay in
place for at least a few more months, until another judge, Emily Jane
Goodman, rules in the divorce case.

Klaus began his relationship with Maria in 1981, when she was a
19-year-old Brazilian model and he was the 44-year-old manager of what
was then West Germany's largest money fund. They had a son together in
1984, and married nine years later. Klaus filed for divorce in 1999.

"They traveled to virtually all the hot cities in the world, staying
in five-star hotels and sometimes flying the Concorde," Clair said.

Klaus claimed he didn't have any foreign bank accounts - then changed
his tune after Maria discovered a pile of records tucked away in the
ceiling of their Southampton house, Clair said.

Klaus's lawyer, Mitchell Levitin, denied Maria's charges and labeled
her "a gold-digger. I'd take what she says with a grain of salt," he
said.

NEW YORK POST

Ken (NY)
--